PDA

View Full Version : Gus Uhlenbeek

big-mo
22-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Can anyone remember a guy called Gus Uhlenbeek playing for us in a pre-season friendly/testimonial against East Fife back in July 2000? Hibs won the game 3-2 with Lehmann scoring 2 and Gus getting the other.
He was a right back and started his career at Ajax but went to a number of clubs (12 in total). When he played for us he had just finished at Fulham before joining Sheffield Utd. I was at the game and I must admit I have no recollection of him.
I would have guessed that, like many players that have passed through the club, we would have been excited with the prospect of a player who had been at Ajax and had just left Fulham.
Was he one that Alex McLeish missed out on?

Can anyone remember any other players than we have had on trial that we missed out on that would have been a good acquisition?

givescotlandfreedom
22-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Didier Agathe?

Peevemor
22-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Did Ronnie Rosenthal not play a closed doors game for Hibs?

Peevemor
22-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Didier Agathe?

Agathe had a 3 month contract.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Did Ronnie Rosenthal not play a closed doors game for Hibs?

It was a barn door and he missed it :greengrin

Thankfully he went on to score some goals for Liverpool.

DC_Hibs
22-06-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm sure he featured during the preseason - in Germany? - that year and looked good for us over there.

Hiber-nation
22-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I remember him alright - the stadium announcer at New Bayview or whatever it's called was given a handwritten piece of paper to announce the teams with christian names only and he announced him as "Goose"! Or so we thought.

Smartie
22-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I remember Andy McLaren playing a few games for us on trial.

He always seemed to be on the point of signing for us but never did.

hibs4thecup1988
22-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Can anyone remember a guy called Gus Uhlenbeek playing for us in a pre-season friendly/testimonial against East Fife back in July 2000? Hibs won the game 3-2 with Lehmann scoring 2 and Gus getting the other.
He was a right back and started his career at Ajax but went to a number of clubs (12 in total). When he played for us he had just finished at Fulham before joining Sheffield Utd. I was at the game and I must admit I have no recollection of him.
I would have guessed that, like many players that have passed through the club, we would have been excited with the prospect of a player who had been at Ajax and had just left Fulham.

Can anyone remember any other players than we have had on trial that we missed out on that would have been a good acquisition?

Left back I'm sure and he couldn't settle in Edinburgh. I've got a top from his Fulham days signed same with Stan collymore when they came up to play hearts. Must have been about 13/14 years ago

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2014, 03:24 PM

IIRC we had a trialist goalkeeper that day as well. I maybe wrong, but i think that was the season that the rule about goalies not being able to pick up pass-backs started to apply? Sure that I can mind Westie, having to run behind the goals and expain this to boy between the sticks.

Hiber-nation
22-06-2014, 03:30 PM
IIRC we had a trialist goalkeeper that day as well. I maybe wrong, but i think that was the season that the rule about goalies not being able to pick up pass-backs started to apply? Sure that I can mind Westie, having to run behind the goals and expain this to boy between the sticks.

The keeper was Ronan Larrieu who had a nightmare but went on to have a good career down south with Plymouth.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/lehmann-leads-from-front-1-481462

nribs
22-06-2014, 05:11 PM

He played in a pre-season friendly and we went and got Murphy instead

nribs
22-06-2014, 05:19 PM
He played in a pre-season friendly and we went and got Murphy instead

Actually I might have just made that up.

theonlywayisup
22-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Thankfully he went on to score some goals for Liverpool.

Not always!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0

Billy McKirdy
22-06-2014, 11:00 PM

I remember him well as he was talked up well in the EEN...I created his player on my FIFA 2001 game because I liked his unusual name, I kept him in my side all season, I was 35 at the time, I've still not grown up :-D

Nutmegged
23-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Think he only got a trial with us due to Dirk Lehamann at the time having played with him at Fulham, it was a straight choice between him and Gary Smith though for the RB position, think McLeish made the correct decision.

Was this not Ulrik Laursen's debut too?

CRAZYHIBBY
23-06-2014, 08:25 AM
I remember a story doing the rounds years ago that alex miller wouldn't sign David platt as he didnt think he was good enough for hibs

Peevemor
23-06-2014, 08:27 AM
I remember a story doing the rounds years ago that alex miller wouldn't sign David platt as he didnt think he was good enough for hibs

A deal was verbally agreed with both Crewe and Platt, but Aston Villa came in at the last minute with a better offer.

jdships
23-06-2014, 08:43 AM
A deal was verbally agreed with both Crewe and Platt, but Aston Villa came in at the last minute with a better offer.

:top marks
Much to Miller's genuine annoyance . He was livid in fact as he had accepted a " gentleman's agreement" with Platt and his agent .