PDA

View Full Version : Tenure of an SPFL Manager

Turkish Green
22-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I was just looking at the list of SPFL managers and of the 40 managers currently in employment (excluding Hibs & Arbroath), 21 have been in the position for less than a year and only 9 have survived over 2 years.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Professional_Football_League_mana gers

It it does not fill you with confidence that a manager has time to put together a successful team or see youth flourish.

The statistics do not bode well for Stubbs.

nribs
22-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I was just looking at the list of SPFL managers and of the 40 managers currently in employment (excluding Hibs & Arbroath), 21 have been in the position for less than a year and only 9 have survived over 2 years.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Professional_Football_League_mana gers

It it does not fill you with confidence that a manager has time to put together a successful team or see youth flourish.

Surely not all that don't last have been sacked? Did the Falkirk manager not decide he wanted to move on? May be others?

ScottB
22-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Ultimately we will always struggle to keep someone for more than 2 - 3 seasons.

Either they'll be good, and go into bigger things, or they'll be bad, and get sacked.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-06-2014, 07:50 PM

No reason to crap bricks - same applies for everyone pretty much.
Are stats or events the determining factor on the longevity of a Hibs manager? I'd say for Fenlon it was events. If it hadn't been for those cataclysmic events that peppered his tenure he may have stayed a little longer. But ultimately would have been found out.

Turkish Green
22-06-2014, 10:19 PM
No reason to crap bricks - same applies for everyone pretty much.
Are stats or events the determining factor on the longevity of a Hibs manager? I'd say for Fenlon it was events. If it hadn't been for those cataclysmic events that peppered his tenure he may have stayed a little longer. But ultimately would have been found out.

Stats are just stats. However what they do show is that the lower the league the shorter a manager's life expectancy. As for Stubbs, I hope he proves to be a Mowbray rather than a Calderwood.

heretoday
23-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Ultimately we will always struggle to keep someone for more than 2 - 3 seasons.

Either they'll be good, and go into bigger things, or they'll be bad, and get sacked.

Or they'll be boring and stick around for years like Alex Miller!

Ronniekirk
23-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Ian Murray has done well then when you look at that so rookie manager can do well It's the getting promotion bit which teams in that Division will go chasing now after Hamilton's success so makes it harder division to get out of and means teams more likely to gamble on new manager to try and achieve this .
Murray you would think if he has Dumbarton fighting for promotion or thereabouts would then have to move on to progress his career

Turkish Green
23-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Ian Murray has done well then when you look at that so rookie manager can do well It's the getting promotion bit which teams in that Division will go chasing now after Hamilton's success so makes it harder division to get out of and means teams more likely to gamble on new manager to try and achieve this .
Murray you would think if he has Dumbarton fighting for promotion or thereabouts would then have to move on to progress his career
If Dumbarton do well (for them) again next season then Murray's star will be on the rise for a young manager and will likely move for advancement. Maybe Hibs missed their chance, who knows.