PDA

View Full Version : Can England still qualify?

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm confused.

I thought head to head was considered before goal difference this year. If that's the case, England must be out.

number9dream
20-06-2014, 07:04 AM
The only way England can stay in the World Cup

England need Italy to win their remaining group games against Costa Rica and Uruguay to stay in the tournament.

Roy Hodgson's side then need to beat Costa Rica in their final group game.

England, Uruguay and Costa Rica would then each be on three points and qualification would be decided on goal difference.

But the statistics are not on England's side as no team has ever lost their opening two games at a World Cup and progressed from the group.

rcarter1
20-06-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm confused.

I thought head to head was considered before goal difference this year. If that's the case, England must be out.

With three teams involved head to head gets awkward (?).:dunno:

mim
20-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Points, goal difference, goals scored, head to head points, h to h goal dif, h to h goals scored, lots.

HibeesLA
20-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Off the top of my head, I believe it's
1. Points
2. Goal difference
3. Goals for
4. Head to head
5. Coin

However, if 3 teams tied on point, I believe head to head is replaced by games between the 3, almost like workin out who would have won the league by removing the 4th team from the mix.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2061793-brazil-world-cup-2014-clarifying-group-tie-break-scenarios-and-rules

Jones28
20-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Italy need to beat Uruguay and Costa Rica and England need to beat Costa Rica for them to finish second in the group.

According to ITV

Weststandwanab
20-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Who cares ?

They will be out by 7 tonight when Italy draw.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Who cares ?

They will be out by 7 tonight when Italy draw.

Er, I do.

I would have thought that was obvious given that I asked the question.

Posh Swanny
20-06-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm confused.

Basically what everyone else has said, but just to explain why head-to-head wouldn't work directly in this case if the three teams end up on three points i.e. Costa Rica would be above Uruguay, Uruguay above England and England above Costa Rica. So it'll be on goal difference in the games involving the three teams. Because of the reuslts so far - if England beat Coast Rica 2-0 and Italy do the business I think that would put us through.

That said, if we were to go ahead against Costa Rica there would no doubt be a sudden increase in the number of sideways and backways passes in the Italy vs Uruguay game (assuming it was 0-0 or Uruguay were winning). :wink: It would make it very interesting for the group if Costa Rica were to score early against England though!

***Edit - just worked it out and England would indeed need to win by 2 clear goals as it would leave Eng and CR on 0 GD and Uru on -1 GD but with Eng having scored 1 more goal than CR. ***

***Edit again :rolleyes: - that looks to be bollocks. It would just be a straight goal difference calculation from the whole group. Only when that and goals scored is the same does any kind of head to head thing come into it. So Italy pumping CR and Uru 4-0 would do just nicely leaving Eng to score early against CR and defend doggedly for 83 minutes.***

Cod Boy
20-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Better chance than Scotland

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Making it to the next round, or winning the trophy?

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 09:59 AM

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

:blah::blah::blah:

:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit:

:bye:

Cod Boy
20-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Nah Iran will beat Algeria in the final

brog
20-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Head to head has been done away with & in England's case it wouldn't have mattered because as another poster points out, CR beat Uruguay who beat England who need to beat CR anyway to have a chance! If Italy beat CR by 1 goal tonight then England are 3 goals worse off & need to beat CR by 2 goals to qualify. If however Italy win by 2 goals then it would appear England need to only win by 1 to tie things up with CR. However goals scored then come into it & regardless of tonight CR have 1 more than England. To sum up, England will have to beat CR by 2 goals unless Italy beat CR by 3 or more goals. Personally I think England still have a decent chance, it only needs 3 games to go the way they're expected & they're through but i think if England are running over CR then we may see Italy/Uruguay doing an Austria/Germany in their game.
I'm sure that's perfectly clear! :wink:

southsider
20-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Italy will beat CR this effty. Ingerland will beat CR 1-0. Italy and Uruguay will play out a goal less draw so both qualify. Liniker/Sheare/Neville will all moan...... if Carlsberg did world cups......Priceless:wink:

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 10:28 AM
:yawn::yawn::yawn:

:blah::blah::blah:

:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit:

:bye:

If you're going to dish it out, you've got to be able to take it back.

Cod Boy
20-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Nah Iran will beat Algeria in the final

JeMeSouviens
20-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Head to head has been done away with & in England's case it wouldn't have mattered because as another poster points out, CR beat Uruguay who beat England who need to beat CR anyway to have a chance! If Italy beat CR by 1 goal tonight then England are 3 goals worse off & need to beat CR by 2 goals to qualify. If however Italy win by 2 goals then it would appear England need to only win by 1 to tie things up with CR. However goals scored then come into it & regardless of tonight CR have 1 more than England. To sum up, England will have to beat CR by 2 goals unless Italy beat CR by 3 or more goals. Personally I think England still have a decent chance, it only needs 3 games to go the way they're expected & they're through but i think if England are running over CR then we may see Italy/Uruguay doing an Austria/Germany in their game.

Head to head is the Euro championships, FIFA have always used traditional goal difference first.

Keith_M
20-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Mathematically, yes.

Whether it's likely..... I'll leave that to the English Fans on here to decide :wink:

Weststandwanab
20-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Er, I do.

I would have thought that was obvious given that I asked the question.

In that case good luck England will need lots of it.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 11:02 AM
In that case good luck England will need lots of it.

I didn't say I wanted them to qualify though.

Hibercelona
20-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Nah, i'd say Scotlands chances of winning are about equal to Englands. :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 11:14 AM
If you're going to dish it out, you've got to be able to take it back.

Who's dishing dirt Mr Radge?

They are our fiercest rivals in any sport and it is natural we want them to lose is it not?

You'll be telling me next that we have to support the yams in a game with a team we don't like next.

PS. if it was the other way round do you seriously think England fans would be supporting us?

:rolleyes:

Hibercelona
20-06-2014, 11:16 AM

They are our fiercest rivals in any sport and it is natural we want them to lose is it not?

You'll be telling me next that we have to support the yams in a game with a team we don't like next.

PS. if it was the other way round do you seriously think England fans would be supporting us?

Where did the OP say that they wanted England to qualify? :confused:

They simply asked what would be required in order for them to do so.

hibsbollah
20-06-2014, 11:20 AM
I think its worth a bet, depending on what odds you get.

Italy are a quality side and I could see them beating Costa Rica today and then Uruguay. (Theres been a lot of talk about italy and Uruguay playing out a draw so they both qualify, like the Germans Austria in 82 but I just cant see it, theres too much at stake for the winner in avoiding Colombia in the next round). Then you just need England to beat Costa Rica in the final game, and I think they'll be favourites to do that. Yes, costa rica have done well to beat uruguay but in terms of pedigree England should beat them by more than the odd goal. Three results will see them through.

Scorrie
20-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Paddy Power offering 11/2 that England qualify

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2014, 11:28 AM

They might be ****ers, but we are colonised by ****ers.

lord bunberry
I will be shocked if the Italy v Uruguay game doesn't finish a draw, it suites both teams.

Lago
I'm confused.

Yes

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 11:34 AM

http://i.imgur.com/WCEhT.gif

BVB Hibs
20-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I actually make them favourites to go through. Uruguay drawing with Costa Rica will come back to bite them. I'm going to assume Italy win by 2 or more today, and I don't think they'll leave their group win up to chance against Uruguay, which would mean any win in the final group games would let England through. With all the doom going around, it's actually a very tidy bet to be making, some good odds out there.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 11:35 AM

A lot of England fans would support Scotland, by the way.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I actually make them favourites to go through. Uruguay drawing with Costa Rica will come back to bite them. I'm going to assume Italy win by 2 or more today, and I don't think they'll leave their group win up to chance against Uruguay, which would mean any win in the final group games would let England through. With all the doom going around, it's actually a very tidy bet to be making, some good odds out there.

Costa Rica beat Uruguay 3 - 1.

BVB Hibs
20-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Costa Rica beat Uruguay 3 - 1.
Yes, if they lose 2-0 today, and 1-0 against England, both have a goal difference of -1, both have 3 goals scored, England go through on head to head.

lord bunberry
20-06-2014, 11:41 AM
If anyone fancies England to qualify you can get 10/1 on them being eliminated at the second round stage and even bigger odds on them in the later rounds, basically if you think they will get out of their group you could back them to be eliminated in all the forthcoming rounds and still make a healthy profit.

Liberal Hibby
20-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I will be shocked if the Italy v Uruguay game doesn't finish a draw, it suites both teams.

Not sure it suits Uruguay - a draw would leave them on 4 points and Costa Rica would go through if they beat (or drew with) England.

At least I think they would.

lord bunberry
20-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Not sure it suits Uruguay - a draw would leave them on 4 points and Costa Rica would go through if they beat (or drew with) England.

At least I think they would.

You're right, I was making the assumption that England beat Costa Rica

Posh Swanny
20-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Just realised that Italy could still go out even if they win tonight. So one team could possibly go out with six points, or one team could possibly go through with three. Crazy group.

lapsedhibee
20-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Just realised that Italy could still go out even if they win tonight. So one team could possibly go out with six points, or one team could possibly go through with three. Crazy group.

That's always going to be the case, when there are 18 points to play for. 9-3-3-3 or 6-6-6-0. Must have happened before, shirley? :dunno:

GlenrothesHibee
20-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Cristiano Ronaldo beating countries all by himself?

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 03:30 PM
A lot of England fans would support Scotland, by the way.

:taxi

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2014, 03:39 PM
:taxi

He's right, though.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2014, 03:45 PM

It will F things up, though, if Uruguay beat Italy in the last match. :cb

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 03:46 PM
He's right, though.

Really? I must be living in another time zone then eh?

:crazy:

Keith_M
20-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I've decided the answer to the question is.....

NO!

<<<<<<<<<

:wink:

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Really? I must be living in another time zone then eh?

:crazy:

I'm not sure if you're in a different time zone, it depends on where in the world you are, but you certainly don't know much about the support given to all the Home Nations by people in England.

You, and many other Scots, might view England as our biggest rivals, but the feeling isn't mutual.

English fans think of Germany as their nemesis, then Argentinan and possibly France.

Scotland receives huge support south of the border when we qualify for tournaments.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure if you're in a different time zone, it depends on where in the world you are, but you certainly don't know much about the support given to all the Home Nations by people in England.

You, and many other Scots, might view England as our biggest rivals, but the feeling isn't mutual.

English fans think of Germany as their nemesis, then Argentinan and possibly France.

Scotland receives huge support south of the border when we qualify for tournaments.

I work with many English (older) guys and have many close friends, but I can assure you, we are still...

"Sweaty Socks"

"Have the worst goalkeepers in the world"

All good clean banter, but the thing is they mean it and it's funny how they have pet names for everyone except themselves :wink:

I've never met one who would support us against any other team with possibly the exception of the two you mentioned.

So I will continue not to like or support them at anything if that's OK with you.

Hibercelona
20-06-2014, 04:16 PM

The feeling is very much mutual. It may just seem like more English people back Scotland than vice versa, because they have a much larger population in comparison.

But percentage wise, it'll be roughly about the same both ways. A very small percentage.

marinello59
20-06-2014, 04:17 PM
I work with many English (older) guys and have many close friends, but I can assure you, we are still...

"Sweaty Socks"

All good clean banter, but the thing is they mean it and it's funny how they have pet names for everyone except themselves :wink:

I've never met one who would support us against any other team with possibly the exception of the two you mentioned.

So I will continue not to like or support them at anything if that's OK with you.

Maybe they just find you an obnoxious ******* and want to wind you up. :greengrin
Most if not all of my English friends and relatives support the Home nations if they are playing. That's probably why they find the ABE stuff so confusing.

Keith_M
20-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Which is quite funny, because the Germans look on England with a mixture of admiration and amusement.

They're considered in Germany to be always good for a laugh :wink:

Hibercelona
20-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Which is quite funny, because the Germans look on England with a mixture of admiration and amusement.

They're considered in Germany to be always good for a laugh :wink:

:agree:

It's just like the hertz bams who see celtic as their main rivals.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 04:31 PM

"Sweaty Socks"

Why would I want to influence who you support or who you have a chip on your shoulder about?

I don't give a flying one about you or England, for that matter.

You asked me a question and I've answered it accurately. You can choose to believe it or not.

It does seem that you can't take a bit of mickey taking though, given your comments above about sweaty socks and your reaction to the poster who pointed out that England had a better chance of qualifying than Scotland.

If that's how you react to your colleagues' wind-ups, no wonder they persist with them.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 04:31 PM
:agree:

It's just like the hertz bams who see celtic as their main rivals.

Or the Scotland fans who see England as their main rivals.

Hiber-nation
20-06-2014, 04:36 PM
hearts are the only team I'd ever want England to beat.

HibbyAndy
20-06-2014, 04:36 PM

What english fans ?

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 04:37 PM
The feeling is very much mutual. It may just seem like more English people back Scotland than vice versa, because they have a much larger population in comparison.

But percentage wise, it'll be roughly about the same both ways. A very small percentage.

That's just not true.

The majority of English fans wanted Scotland to do well when we were the only home nation who qualified for the WC in 1974 and 78.

I also lived in London in 1990 and I remember celebrating Scotland's win against Sweden with loads of English blokes in a pub in Selhurst.

Sure, they took the piss when we lost to Coasta Rica, but they had wanted us to qualify from the group.

Spike Mandela
20-06-2014, 04:43 PM
That's just not true.

The majority of English fans wanted Scotland to do well when we were the only home nation who qualified for the WC in 1974 and 78.

I also lived in London in 1990 and I remember celebrating Scotland's win against Sweden with loads of English blokes in a pub in Selhurst.

Sure, they took the piss when we lost to Coasta Rica, but they had wanted us to qualify from the group.

It's a patronising support the poor relation mentality. If English people thought for one second Scotland had the remotest chance of winning the World Cup they would take great pleasure in any Scottish failure. It's the nature of rivalry.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Why would I want to influence who you support or who you have a chip on your shoulder about?

You asked me a question and I've answered it accurately. You can choose to believe it or not.

It does seem that you can't take a bit of mickey taking though, given your comments above about sweaty socks and your reaction to the poster who pointed out that England had a better chance of qualifying than Scotland.

If that's how you react to your colleagues' wind-ups, no wonder they persist with them.

Dearie me....

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 04:54 PM
It's a patronising support the poor relation mentality. If English people thought for one second Scotland had the remotest chance of winning the World Cup they would take great pleasure in any Scottish failure. It's the nature of rivalry.

That's not my experience.

It's more like the way the majority of people in Scotland want Wales and N Ireland to do well in qualification. The Republic too.

They don't have any chance of winning the tournaments, but folk want them to win all the same.

Iggy Pope
20-06-2014, 04:57 PM

And we all know where the absolutely worst goalie in the world came from don't we?
:greengrin

Bristolhibby
20-06-2014, 05:06 PM

Possibly your Joe Smhoe middle England. But real football fans want us to lose as much as we want them to lose.

It's like suddenly wanting Hearts to win the Cup because we are out as we are both from Edinburgh.

Get real guys. England are our local rivals, we are theirs.

J

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Dearie me....

Lol

brog
20-06-2014, 05:11 PM
I've lived in London for nearly 34 years now & have seen a marked difference in the way the English football supporters regard Scotland. Certainly in the period 82 to 90 we enjoyed considerable support but that changed IMO much as at the same time English fans discovered their own identity, eg flags of St George as opposed to Union Jacks. ( personally I think this is because previously the English thought England was the UK, a large number still do. ). Now I think the majority of English people would support Scotland but I'm not sure that would necessarily apply to English football fans. I have many fine friends down here but I do still get fed up with the cliched jokes about Scots & meanness. My standard response now is, " I wish I had a fiver for every time someone made that joke & then I would buy every round"! I'm afraid that despite living here for so long I can still never in my heart want England to win at anything, I'm not proud of this but -:wink:

Hibrandenburg
20-06-2014, 05:29 PM
I've lived in London for nearly 34 years now & have seen a marked difference in the way the English football supporters regard Scotland. Certainly in the period 82 to 90 we enjoyed considerable support but that changed IMO much as at the same time English fans discovered their own identity, eg flags of St George as opposed to Union Jacks. ( personally I think this is because previously the English thought England was the UK, a large number still do. ). Now I think the majority of English people would support Scotland but I'm not sure that would necessarily apply to English football fans. I have many fine friends down here but I do still get fed up with the cliched jokes about Scots & meanness. My standard response now is, " I wish I had a fiver for every time someone made that joke & then I would buy every round"! I'm afraid that despite living here for so long I can still never in my heart want England to win at anything, I'm not proud of this but -:wink:

Pretty similar to my experience. I also found that most southerners couldn't see past me being Scottish. Almost all of my characteristics good, bad and neutral were put down to me being Scottish even when they contradicted the usual cliches.

I by no means hate the English, I've just learned through them that they consider us to be different.

--------
20-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Maybe they just find you an obnoxious ******* and want to wind you up. :greengrin
Most if not all of my English friends and relatives support the Home nations if they are playing. That's probably why they find the ABE stuff so confusing.

Nonsense. I've met plenty of obnoxious arrogant Neanderthals in England shirts. And taken a lot of crap off them as soon as they realised I was a Scot.

I remember a bridegroom at a wedding in Brora who started his speech at the reception with the immortal sentence: "Just my luck to be caught in Jocko-land the day the Krauts beat us at Wembley!" And then continued with a string of "jokes" about kilts and "McDonalds' quarter-pounders underneath them. Lovely chap. Totally racist - but a lovely chap still. Didn't have a clue.

(England had lost 1-0 to Germany at Wembley that afternoon - Dieter Hamman scored the only goal. I suppose we should be grateful he and his best man didn't trash the hotel ...)

I sure some people down south do find the ABE stuff puzzling. But I used to stand on terraces supporting Scotland against England and lucky to keep my head on my shoulders when Scotland won the game. The year the Wembley pitch had been severely damaged by holding The Horse Of The Year Show on it earlier in the season. Visiting teams had been complaining about it, and not long before the season's close the main man at the FA was asked what was going to be done about it. "We''ll re-lay it after the Scotland game," he said. "If it's good enough for horses it's good enough for them."

My, how we laughed - especially when we won the game. :greengrin

I could go on and on. Every time I decide it's time to bury the hatchet and stop bothering, some idiot on the TV or at a meeting or a function or whatever comes out with another merry quip and sets my teeth grinding away again.

Most of us don't hate you, but we get tee'd off with idiots like Chiles and Dixon and their like - going on last night about South Americans cheating - "We don't do it!" squawked Chiles; "It's not in our DNA!" agreed Dixon. The Genetic Theory of English Sporting Superiority and General Good Chappiness displayed, with Gus Poyet (Uruguayan South American Cheat) sitting between them no doubt struggling to keep his tongue behind his teeth and his fists in his pocket.

Sorry, mate, but it's ABE for me this year again.

BTW, have you seen the score? :wink:

Keith_M
20-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Purely on account of my Costa Rican ancentry...

C'mon the Costas!!!!!

Hibercelona
20-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Scotland have matched England quite admirably in head to heads since their first meeting in 1872.

The rivalry is very much strong between Scotland and England.

Tynie01011973
20-06-2014, 05:49 PM
They think it's all over ?

IT IS NOW !!!

proud_and_green
20-06-2014, 05:49 PM
And we all know where the absolutely worst goalie in the world came from don't we?

Poland......?

Keith_M
20-06-2014, 05:51 PM

American Samoa. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_31%E2%80%930_American_Samoa)

HiBremian
20-06-2014, 05:52 PM
So to answer the OP.......

NO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
20-06-2014, 05:57 PM
it's a NO from me

HiBremian
20-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Have to say, living in Germany I can understand the ABE thing very clearly. Pretty sure if we were fed, say, French TV coverage of football every day there'd be a major ABF feeling in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
20-06-2014, 06:01 PM
No .

Ggtth

1068gary
20-06-2014, 06:03 PM
It's official, yer oot !

Bostonhibby
20-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Only if Sepp Blatter had money on them, or gets money from them :-)

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Nonsense. I've met plenty of obnoxious arrogant Neanderthals in England shirts. And taken a lot of crap off them as soon as they realised I was a Scot.

I remember a bridegroom at a wedding in Brora who started his speech at the reception with the immortal sentence: "Just my luck to be caught in Jocko-land the day the Krauts beat us at Wembley!" And then continued with a string of "jokes" about kilts and "McDonalds' quarter-pounders underneath them. Lovely chap. Totally racist - but a lovely chap still. Didn't have a clue.

(England had lost 1-0 to Germany at Wembley that afternoon - Dieter Hamman scored the only goal. I suppose we should be grateful he and his best man didn't trash the hotel ...)

I sure some people down south do find the ABE stuff puzzling. But I used to stand on terraces supporting Scotland against England and lucky to keep my head on my shoulders when Scotland won the game. The year the Wembley pitch had been severely damaged by holding The Horse Of The Year Show on it earlier in the season. Visiting teams had been complaining about it, and not long before the season's close the main man at the FA was asked what was going to be done about it. "We''ll re-lay it after the Scotland game," he said. "If it's good enough for horses it's good enough for them."

My, how we laughed - especially when we won the game. :greengrin

I could go on and on. Every time I decide it's time to bury the hatchet and stop bothering, some idiot on the TV or at a meeting or a function or whatever comes out with another merry quip and sets my teeth grinding away again.

Most of us don't hate you, but we get tee'd off with idiots like Chiles and Dixon and their like - going on last night about South Americans cheating - "We don't do it!" squawked Chiles; "It's not in our DNA!" agreed Dixon. The Genetic Theory of English Sporting Superiority and General Good Chappiness displayed, with Gus Poyet (Uruguayan South American Cheat) sitting between them no doubt struggling to keep his tongue behind his teeth and his fists in his pocket.

Sorry, mate, but it's ABE for me this year again.

BTW, have you seen the score? :wink:

Spot on mate, well said, and that goes for the tit that is Gary Lineker as well, Italy strip on in the first half and a really nice dark blue number on in the 2nd, the BBC are supposed to remain unbiased throughout any sporting tournament and yet we have to put up with this *****, cheerio fannies.

Eyrie
20-06-2014, 06:51 PM
The "ABE" thing really irritates the hell out of me, so I was supporting England in response to that nonsense.

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Kind of makes the tournament less interesting now they're out, the English.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-06-2014, 06:59 PM
#TheHansenCurse strikes again... ;)

Paisley Hibby
20-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Only in a parallel universe :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Polish friend of mines at work got all worked up when I remarked how good Germany looked. What's that all about? Close neighbours, you'd think he'd be pleased for them.

If things had turned out differently they could have been part of the same state and I bet he'd be basking in the glory of their success, eh?

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Klose and Podolski will be two reasons for him to get worked up.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Polish friend of mines at work got all worked up when I remarked how good Germany looked. What's that all about? Close neighbours, you'd think he'd be pleased for them.

If things had turned out differently they could have been part of the same state and I bet he'd be basking in the glory of their success, eh?

That's like comparing chalk with cheese.

However, in case you're interested, my father was Polish. He fought against Nazi Germany in WW2.

He didn't hate Germany all his life.

Maybe your friend isn't representative of the whole Polish Nation. Just a thought. :dunno:

Ask him what he thinks about Russia.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 10:25 PM

However, in case you're interested, my father was Polish. He fought against Nazi Germany in WW2.

Maybe your friend isn't representative of the whole Polish Nation. Just a thought. :dunno:

Asked him. Disnae support Russia at the world cups either. Beginning to think he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

TheFamous1875
20-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Is it not because a big chunk of the German players were born in Poland and by rights should be representing their home country instead of Germany?

I think it's a similar situation to McGeady and McCarthy choosing to play for ROI instead of Scotland..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Is it not because a big chunk of the German players were born in Poland and by rights should be representing their home country instead of Germany?

I think it's a similar situation to McGeady and McCarthy choosing to play for ROI instead of Scotland..

That's a fair point. A bit like Zlatan and Bosnia.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Well this has been an interesting thread, what people need to remember is there are Southern Englanders and Northern Englanders they are a completely different breed :greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Asked him. Disnae support Russia at the world cups either. Beginning to think he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Do you think folk in Scotland should support England at world cups or something?

IberianHibernian
20-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDBig chunk being 2 or 3 players in the last 20 years and even then they arrived in Germany when they were babies . Have never hidden their Polish sentiment or pride at representing Germany . IF there`s any bad feeling from Poles towards Germany seriously doubt it`s because a couple of footballers chose to play for Germany . What does " by rights " mean here ?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 11:05 PM

You know, your auld boy sounds like a pretty sound dude.

Do you think his attitude would be swayed at all had the Nazi's subjugated Poland and remained so to this day?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Do you think folk in Scotland should support England at world cups or something?

Just saying he sounds a bit nippy.

TheFamous1875
20-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Big chunk being 2 or 3 players in the last 20 years and even then they arrived in Germany when they were babies . Have never hidden their Polish sentiment or pride at representing Germany . IF there`s any bad feeling from Poles towards Germany seriously doubt it`s because a couple of footballers chose to play for Germany . What does " by rights " mean here ?

Well, I asked because I wasn't privy but I thought it may have been something to do with Polish-born players playing for Germany. I was just speculating that it might be a reason for the guy mentioned's umbrage towards Germany's football team. I'm not of any wisdom on the matter, so that's why I asked if this was possibly a reason. "By rights" meant that perhaps the Polish boy may have thought that they should've been playing for Poland as they were born there and that it was wrong they played for Germany instead. Like I said, I'm not sure, I was only asking. I wasn't saying this was fact or that I believed it, I was just suggesting a possible reason and asking if that was in fact the case.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2014, 11:33 PM
You know, your auld boy sounds like a pretty sound dude.

Do you think his attitude would be swayed at all had the Nazi's subjugated Poland and remained so to this day?

I've no idea, but what point are you trying to make and why are you making it to me?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I've no idea, but what point are you trying to make and why are you making it to me?

You have no idea whether your father would have supported Germany at the 2014 world cup, had Poland been subjugated in 1945.

Really?

Hibby70
21-06-2014, 12:13 AM
You have no idea whether your father would have supported Germany at the 2014 world cup, had Poland been subjugated in 1945.

Really?

You come on Hibs.net for some football chat and end up being in a Robert Harris novel.

Cameron1875
21-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Yes. If they put a few past Costa Rica and hope Italy beat Uruguay then they are home and dry........

Jones28
21-06-2014, 01:24 AM
Naw

Hibrandenburg
21-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Really?

Had Poland been subjugated in 1945 then the Reich's Anti Troll Dienst would be chapping your door.

CropleyWasGod
21-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Yes. If they put a few past Costa Rica and hope Italy beat Uruguay then they are home and dry........

Bollox :-)

Do the arithmetic

Keith_M
21-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Well this has been an interesting thread, what people need to remember is there are Southern Englanders and Northern Englanders they are a completely different breed :greengrin

You're all Southerners to us mate

Spike Mandela
21-06-2014, 07:46 AM
ITV have the last two games In Englands group. One on ITV and one on ITV4 (would be better if two main channels BBC1 and ITV shared them imo).

Anyway, I wonder what choice they will make as to what game is on their main channel, the dead rubber that is the England game or the winner takes all clash of Italy v Uruguay?:cb

Hibrandenburg
21-06-2014, 08:09 AM

You've forgotten the East Englanders, the one's that didn't get booted out the fatherland.

Hibbyradge
21-06-2014, 08:10 AM
ITV have the last two games In Englands group. One on ITV and one on ITV4 (would be better if two main channels BBC1 and ITV shared them imo).

Anyway, I wonder what choice they will make as to what game is on their main channel, the dead rubber that is the England game or the winner takes all clash of Italy v Uruguay?:cb

It will be the one they think that most of their viewers want to watch.

Hibbyradge
21-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Really?

My father is dead. It's a stupid hypothetical question.

How the ****** would I know the answer to something like that?

Do you want me to guess?

Are you going to base your argument on my guess?

As I asked before, what point are you trying to make and why are you making it to me?

alexhibs
21-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Pretty similar to my experience. I also found that most southerners couldn't see past me being Scottish. Almost all of my characteristics good, bad and neutral were put down to me being Scottish even when they contradicted the usual cliches.

I by no means hate the English, I've just learned through them that they consider us to be different.

Having worked and lived in England for almost 15 years now I still get all the Jock, kilt sorry skirt! Haggis, being tight etc. Had a few outbursts but mainly laugh it off or turn it around to them and their Morris Dancing, how much they are disliked by other countries etc. TBH I find them really tight with money, always looking for bargains! Then there's the accent mickey take, it's like they wanna be scottish ( as I say to them ). Would it considered to be racist if it was going on with Asian accents mmm I wonder. Anyway married an English lass and have loads of great English friends but that scot/ eng divide will always be there. Proud to be Scottish and Hibby

cabbageandribs1875
21-06-2014, 09:23 AM
poor engerlund just got battered by the All blacks as well....losers in football and losers in rugby...:boo hoo: there's always the cricket against Sri Lanka though

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-06-2014, 09:25 AM
had poland been subjugated in 1945 then the reich's anti troll dienst would be chapping your door.

lol

lapsedhibee
21-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Everyone's saying England are out just because they can't get enough points with only one game remaining, but what if the team who finishes 2nd gets disqualified? Say Costa Rica get a couple of early goals against England, and Italy v Uruguay for 2nd place degenerates into a mass brawl, all 22 plus benches and coaching staff are red carded, and both countries get thrown oot - wouldn't England qualify? They're not on the plane Back Home yet, let's not give up all hope of progress.

Phil D. Rolls
21-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Everyone's saying England are out just because they can't get enough points with only one game remaining, but what if the team who finishes 2nd gets disqualified? Say Costa Rica get a couple of early goals against England, and Italy v Uruguay for 2nd place degenerates into a mass brawl, all 22 plus benches and coaching staff are red carded, and both countries get thrown oot - wouldn't England qualify? They're not on the plane Back Home yet, let's not give up all hope of progress.

I've got my fingers crossed that Italy are still having an Insolvency Event by the time their game kicks off.

CropleyWasGod
21-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Wouldn't happen, mate.

Qatar would get their place.

--------
21-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Spot on mate, well said, and that goes for the tit that is Gary Lineker as well, Italy strip on in the first half and a really nice dark blue number on in the 2nd, the BBC are supposed to remain unbiased throughout any sporting tournament and yet we have to put up with this *****, cheerio fannies.

It's not all one way.

A friend of mine (now dead, sadly), editor of a local newspaper when I knew him, was a reporter for the Daily Record in 1970.

He was present at the press conference after England beat Scotland 1-0 at Hampden just before going off to Mexico to defend the trophy.

Ramsey was there, very unwillingly. Cold, resentful and clearly just wanting to leave. After a very awkward half-hour or so, he abruptly got up to leave.

Jim told me that John Rafferty, then lead sports-writer for The Scotsman, the senior journalist in the room, stood up and said, "Excuse me, Sir Alf, but before you go, might I, on behalf of all of us in the Scottish sporting press, wish you and your team all the very best in Mexico in your defence of the trophy?"

(John Rafferty was a very fine writer and very much a gentleman, for those who've never heard of him, btw.)

Ramsey's response was to look at JR as if he was dirt, and tell him (and I quote), "You must be ****ing joking". And walked out without another word.

Which probably accounts for the roasting Ramsey got in the Scottish press after he threw away the quarter-final in Leon the following month.

I heard the same story from Ian Archer, another very fine football writer who worked for The Herald.

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Englands new badge.

emerald green
21-06-2014, 11:20 AM
It's not all one way.

A friend of mine (now dead, sadly), editor of a local newspaper when I knew him, was a reporter for the Daily Record in 1970.

He was present at the press conference after England beat Scotland 1-0 at Hampden just before going off to Mexico to defend the trophy.

Ramsey was there, very unwillingly. Cold, resentful and clearly just wanting to leave. After a very awkward half-hour or so, he abruptly got up to leave.

Jim told me that John Rafferty, then lead sports-writer for The Scotsman, the senior journalist in the room, stood up and said, "Excuse me, Sir Alf, but before you go, might I, on behalf of all of us in the Scottish sporting press, wish you and your team all the very best in Mexico in your defence of the trophy?"

(John Rafferty was a very fine writer and very much a gentleman, for those who've never heard of him, btw.)

Ramsey's response was to look at JR as if he was dirt, and tell him (and I quote), "You must be ****ing joking". And walked out without another word.

Which probably accounts for the roasting Ramsey got in the Scottish press after he threw away the quarter-final in Leon the following month.

I heard the same story from Ian Archer, another very fine football writer who worked for The Herald.

Very interesting post. The stories going the rounds at the time were that Sir Alf Ramsay hated Scotland.

EdinMike
21-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Ummm... No.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285190

Deansy
21-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Chris Waddle vents his opinion on England -

http://youtu.be/qdnI4xPMKRY

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-06-2014, 10:33 PM
My father is dead. It's a stupid hypothetical question.

How the ****** would I know the answer to something like that?

Do you want me to guess?

Are you going to base your argument on my guess?

As I asked before, what point are you trying to make and why are you making it to me?

Yes, take an empathetic guess and we'll go from there.

Hibbyradge
22-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Yes, take an empathetic guess and we'll go from there.

I'll do a deal with you.

Explain the point you're trying to make and in return, I'll guess what my dad would have done if Hitler had won WW2.

I'll even waive my request to know why you're making your point to me.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I'll do a deal with you.

Explain the point you're trying to make and in return, I'll guess what my dad would have done if Hitler had won WW2.

I'll even waive my request to know why you're making your point to me.

Your Auld Boy, having felt compelled to take up arms against Hitler, should he support Germany in a subjugated Poland in 2014?

Yes
No?

hibsbollah
23-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Chris Waddle vents his opinion on England -

http://youtu.be/qdnI4xPMKRY

He had a similar strop after their last early exit IIRC. As it happens I quite like Chris Waddle, but like his fellow geordie Gazza you always expect him to do something mad out of the blue, like turning up on the Raoul Moat manhunt offering the quarry chicken bread and lager.

Hibbyradge
23-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Your Auld Boy, having felt compelled to take up arms against Hitler, should he support Germany in a subjugated Poland in 2014?

Yes
No?

Poland is not subjugated.

Why do you want to know my guess about who my dad would support, if he was still alive, in such a hypothetical situation?

Why is my guess, or my dad, so important to you?

What point are you trying to make?

Keith_M
23-06-2014, 09:38 AM
This thread really has taken a totally crazy turn for the Wurst.

The Green Goblin
23-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Kind of makes the tournament less interesting now they're out, the English.

They'll continue to talk in that really irritating way about all the other teams and games though.....

....will the commentators. OH, and FR, I spotted a new one!! They now put the subject in a surprise place in the middle of the sentence as they are talking, as in: "He'll need, Ronaldo, to be much quicker than that".

Why do they ALL speak like that (the commentators)?

Edit: why do they ALL speak, the commentators, like that?