PDA

View Full Version : Best World Cup Since 98'

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 12:27 AM
After the utter pish world cup in South Africa (the noise of those f***ing vuvuzelas) I am so relieved this world cup is turning out to be a cracker. Not enjoyed one so much since 98'. Glad I stayed up to watch the Croatia game. Holland and Germany are the 2 best teams I've seen so far.

* The only thing that does disappoint me is that we are not there, I was brought up on us being there and enough is enough, we need to get to the next. In wee Gordon we trust!

SteveHFC
19-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Best world cup since 2002!

Have a feeling Chile will make the semi's and USA to make the last 8

Viva_Palmeiras
19-06-2014, 03:08 AM
After the utter pish world cup in South Africa (the noise of those f***ing vuvuzelas) I am so relieved this world cup is turning out to be a cracker. Not enjoyed one so much since 98'. Glad I stayed up to watch the Croatia game. Holland and Germany are the 2 best teams I've seen so far.

* The only thing that does disappoint me is that we are not there, I was brought up on us being there and enough is enough, we need to get to the next. In wee Gordon we trust!

Fffng gutted we're not there. I'll never forgive Potter. Should be the World Cup of all world cups being in brazil let's see.

hibsfan7
19-06-2014, 05:11 AM
MAYBE SO BUT IT NO WORLD CUP WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS THE 1970
THAT WAS THE BEST WORLD CUP EVER:hibees:hibees:hibees

Tricla
19-06-2014, 05:49 AM
If only they'd stop diving and play acting.

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Before my time, 86 is the first one I really remember, but 90 was good also.

TheReg!
19-06-2014, 06:50 AM
90 was very good but this one is up there so far!!

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 06:55 AM
90 was very good but this one is up there so far!!

This could end up being the best one in my lifetime. Some of the goals so far have been class.

Weststandwanab
19-06-2014, 07:30 AM

I could not agree more.

But I am enjoying this one so far and open to this one eventually being better than 70.

Starting with a Suarez master class this evening.

PeeJay
19-06-2014, 12:41 PM

This won't be too popular, I guess, but my personal favourite World Cups are the 1966 and the 1970 ones - 66 (not just because England won it - honest!) but because, as a kid, it was the first time I was consciously able to follow an important tournament and see so many games with so many "exotic" international teams (OK it was all B&W) live on the tv ... the 70's because of so many great Brazilian players/games and the semis and that it was shown live from another continent. Nowadays, that's all taken for granted: you can watch any team, anywhere at anytime - it's taken a bit of the magic away - for me that is -

I'm enjoying this World Cup too so far, be great to see a European side bring it home. Not yet convinced that Germany are the real thing, Holland are a bit iffy for me at times too - If I was a betting person, I'd probably go for Italy as as our best hope of European finalists ...

jacomo
19-06-2014, 12:48 PM
After the unsatisfying opening match (ruined by poor refereeing) it's turned into a bit of a cracker.

You don't get as many surprises and clashes of footballing culture, as we're all more familiar with most of the players, but teams like Chile have been a joy... especially their manager, what a guy. Let's hope for more of the same.

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Best world cup since 2002!

Have a feeling Chile will make the semi's and USA to make the last 8

Opinions, eh?

I watched a programme about the 2002 WC last week, and sat thinking "I remember very little of this". Other than the apparent bias towards the host nations, I couldn't actually think of much that stood out.

That said, I don't remember what day it is sometimes....

hfc rd
19-06-2014, 01:14 PM
60 goals scored in one week. Got a feeling that it might beat the record 171 goals at France 98. It's been a terrific World Cup barring the Iran vs Nigeria game.