PDA

View Full Version : O Neill and McKinlay

macd123
18-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Nobody seems to be talking about Michael O Neill this time. His assistant is Billy McKinlay who was very good youth and reserve team coach under roy hodgson and martin jol at fulham. Mckinlay would be a very good choice in his own right - better than stubbs imo. But o neill and mckinlay together would tick every box. Any idea why o neill isn't getting a mention this time? Are people assuming he wouldn't come?

nribs
18-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Nobody seems to be talking about Michael O Neill this time. His assistant is Billy McKinlay who was very good youth and reserve team coach under roy hodgson and martin jol at fulham. Mckinlay would be a very good choice in his own right - better than stubbs imo. But o neill and mckinlay together would tick every box. Any idea why o neill isn't getting a mention this time? Are people assuming he wouldn't come?
People might assume N.I are honkin so don't want him? Billy McKinlay was reported as being a great young coach and highly regarded. I'm surprised he hasn't got a job as a 1st team manager somewhere. I'm assuming assistant to O'Neil isn't his only gig?

BVB Hibs
18-06-2014, 11:58 PM
From day one Michael O'Neill would have been my preferred option for the job. Maybe it's because one of my mates is a massive Shamrock Rovers fan, but anybody that manages to get to the EL group stages with the budget and the ability of a LOI club deserves a go at a higher level.

I know PF was also a LOI manager, with similar domestic success. He was also worthy of a go at a bigger club, unfortunately didn't match up to the billing. Doesn't make it less of a hunting ground and in my opinion MO'Ns achievements far eclipsed those of Fenlon.

Hasn't done much at Northern Ireland, though I'm not sure Alex Ferguson could get an awful lot out of that bunch.

macd123
19-06-2014, 12:29 AM
People might assume N.I are honkin so don't want him? Billy McKinlay was reported as being a great young coach and highly regarded. I'm surprised he hasn't got a job as a 1st team manager somewhere. I'm assuming assistant to O'Neil isn't his only gig?

He was at fulham till january when meulensteen got rid of him so perhaps just helping out till he gets something permanent. He has a very good reputation and would be surprised if he stayed there long term.

The Leith Dutch
19-06-2014, 06:39 AM
When we were looking to replace Calderwood and it seemed to be him of Fenlon I thought O'Neill would be a better choice in terms of what he'd achieved, what I understood to be his football philosophy and the fact he had a Hibs connection so would hopefully "get the club".

Not an exact science but it seemed a reasonable basis for an opinion.

That said our experience with Fenlon would worry me that he couldn't make the step up.
Also - his record with Northern Ireland is 1 win in 18 with 10 losses which is hardly a confident manager on the up ready to lead us to brighter things.

On the plus side he only picks Ryan McGivern for one game in every three......

H13BYM
19-06-2014, 07:31 AM

O'neill would be my first choice, as ive mentioned in a thread somewhere last week.

sure he would bring something new to the club.......... like 3 points here and there!.

frazeHFC
19-06-2014, 07:31 AM
On the plus side he only picks Ryan McGivern for one game in every three......

That's way too many for my liking.

Golden Bear
19-06-2014, 07:41 AM
We are where we are because of years of mismanagement both on and off the park.

Like it or not we're now a Championship Club with a growing reputation for not being the happiest places to earn a crust.

We're not such an attractive proposition for guys with a current and successful Managerial career which is why we may have to concentrate on up and coming coaches who are trying to establish themselves in the game.