PDA

View Full Version : Leith Links - One Year On

FranckSuzy
18-06-2014, 10:46 PM
As things stand, none of us know what is happening on the park just now but off it, the picture is entirely different. Therefore, as it is coming up to the first anniversary of Leith Links, I thought I’d update everyone who has either kindly contributed or is just interested in our progress

Donations
To date, Leith Links has raised over £9,000 and we are currently in a position to purchase 94 Kicks for Kids (KfK) season tickets for next season :thumbsup: From the first cash donation (from the Milton Mowbray Hibs Supporters Branch) to the latest from a Hibby moved by a story of a wee boy being bullied at school, the support has been nothing short of remarkable.

We have also held two auctions and raised over £1,000, with items donated by Irvine Welsh, players, fans and even PR men :wink: One-off donations, standing orders and Direct Debits continue to roll in and currently, over £250 a month is pledged with offers to set up a monthly contribution coming in all the time.

Inclusion

In November, an invitation to an event being held in the Scottish Parliament started a chain of events which resulted in a partnership being established with the Multi Cultural Family Base (MCFB) and their excellent ‘scoring a goal for inclusion’ project. An appeal for football kit/equipment resulted in over 36 full strips being donated, along with bags of boots, trainers, gloves, socks and shorts. One kind poster on .net even went as far as buying trainers for a wee boy who was playing in his wellies PLUS his brother and sister :top marks Laterally, MCFB were invited to participate in the ‘ten second challenge’ during half-time at the last derby, thereby further cementing their connection with Hibs.

Leith Links’ sponsor and good Hibby, Mark, also offered to pay for all of the Black Minority Ethnic (BME) children who attend the MCFB football sessions to join the Hibs Kids, so they will all now get 5 free games a season, a birthday card, invite to the pantomime, etc, which is brilliant.

Just last weekend, Leith Links and MCFB also shared a stall at the Leith Festival Gala Day, which was a resounding success. Nearly £400 was donated and our profile was raised even further. Thank you to Stu (Pretty Boy) for his services as our goalie and to all of you who stopped by :agree:

Supporters

A befriender scheme now exists between Hibs fans and BME children, helping them integrate into our support even further. Ten kind supporters answered the call from MCFB earlier this year and we have high hopes for next season, with more interested people getting in touch all of the time. A wonderful gesture by wonderful fans, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Over the course of the year, tickets have kindly been donated for events as diverse as ice hockey games to help raise funds and last season, even the free tickets for the Partick Thistle game were given to deserving causes. Fantastic gestures and it is extremely heartening that people think of Leith Links and children when these opportunities arise.

Branches/Groups

Finally, I must acknowledge those groups which have provided their assistance over the last twelve months. Firstly, Hibs.net for: 1) allowing me to promote the fund on the forum in the first place, 2) the offer of a tie-in for fundraising to purchase KfK tickets and 3) the recent gift of vouchers that the kind winners of the ‘V Bookie’ competition donated. Hibs class indeed :flag:

Branches of the Hibernian Supporters Association (HSA) have also played their part and whilst I can’t name them all, suffice to say the response has been tremendous. The HSA also deserve a mention as their very generous donation of £750 was gratefully received just last week :aok:

And finally….

Articles about the fund have appeared on the official website and in the Edinburgh Reporter, and both were penned by Hibs fans. I even tried my hand by writing a wee piece for ‘The Leither’ magazine and ‘The Speaker’, to help spread the word. Our website has now had over 55,000 ‘new’ views, our Facebook page has 1,120 ‘Likes’ and we have 641 ‘followers’ on Twitter, so word is definitely getting out there. A recent sponsorship of Duncan Watmore’s boots brought us a whole new audience as we were listed in the match day programme and invited to the sponsors evening.

We continue to receive thank you letters from the groups who have used the tickets and it’s because of this reception, it’s been a pleasure to administer the fund (along with the other signatory – you know who you are! :wink:). But, it’s down to you, the Hibs fans, that it has been possible to get this far. Last year, I could never have imagined that we’d be sitting here, having raised enough money to purchase 114 tickets, SO FAR! :not worth GGTTH.

Jay
18-06-2014, 10:54 PM
That makes fantastic reading Suzy. Well done to you and everybody who has helped along the way. :)

Haymaker
18-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Fantastic effort! Well done all involved.

coco mc
19-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Well done Suzy very inspiring I don't know how to pm
But intrested to help could you email me.
GGTH

Admin edit - I've removed your personal details. Suzy could send you a PM. It will be in your notifications at the top of your screen.

down-the-slope
19-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Good update S - I am sure you have already, but if not I would send this to Andrew S / LD as there is space on official site for some good news (in fact any news) while we await some of a football kind

Hibby Gav
19-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Fantastic uplifting news !
congratulations Suzy....inspirational stuff...you should be very proud.
Truly Hibs class
ggtth

coco mc
19-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Well done Suzy very inspiring I don't know how to pm
But intrested to help could you email me.
GGTH

Admin edit - I've removed your personal details. Suzy could send you a PM. It will be in your notifications at the top of your screen.

Thanks

silverhibee
19-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Go girl go and keep the scranning up for the kids. :thumbsup:

ronaldo7
19-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Well done Suzy, and pal, and all the generous hibees out there.

brog
19-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Brilliant effort, lovely to read a good news story for once!

Hibrandenburg
19-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Well done all involved, I tip my hat to all who sacrifice their time and money for cause like this. :thumbsup:

KdyHby
19-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Never normally a pleasure to see direct debits etc leaving my bank account, this cause is the only exception. C'mon fellow Hibbies (or is it Hibbys?), join up to this fantastic cause.

Oscar T Grouch
19-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Well done Suzy and all involved in this. You're doing a great job and creating new Hibees too.

Eyrie
19-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Excellent report, and thanks to FS for doing the hard work of running Leith Links.

BroxburnHibee
19-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Superb Suzy well done

Peevemor
19-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Brilliant work. Well done everyone involved.

Jonnyboy
19-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Fantastic news :thumbsup:

Now Suzy, your next challenge is to help Leann realise her dream of seeing more kids in Hibs strips around Edinburgh and the Lothians, by convincing her that each ST should come with a free Hibs top :greengrin

FranckSuzy
19-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Now Suzy, your next challenge is to help Leann realise her dream of seeing more kids in Hibs strips around Edinburgh and the Lothians, by convincing her that each ST should come with a free Hibs top :greengrin

It's Leeann :grr: :greengrin I think everyone should just call her LD from now on :rolleyes: :tee hee:

Good shout John, leave it with me :wink: LD actually contacted me today, advising that someone had been in touch with her, wanting to buy KfK STs :thumbsup:

Forza Fred
19-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Excellent, practical idea.

The kid would not show off his season ticket in the playground, but could show off his strip....and by doing so encourage other kids to get their mums to buy them season tickets etc...cementing their affinity with the club

Jonnyboy
19-06-2014, 08:58 PM
It's Leeann :grr: :greengrin I think everyone should just call her LD from now on :rolleyes: :tee hee:

Good shout John, leave it with me :wink: LD actually contacted me today, advising that someone had been in touch with her, wanting to buy KfK STs :thumbsup:

Cannae believe I got that wrong! I blame my fingers :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
19-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Great work and a huge well done to those involved and who donated.

FranckSuzy
21-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Just had an email from a very generous Hibby, offering to purchase 10 Kicks for Kids ST's :thumbsup: Therefore, that's us smashed the 100 tickets barrier already :not worth

Mr White
21-06-2014, 05:00 PM
In a grim season of supporting hibs this has been a real ray of sunshine. Great work FS :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
21-06-2014, 06:21 PM
In a grim season of supporting hibs this has been a real ray of sunshine. Great work FS :thumbsup:

Thanks very much :aok: The kindness and generosity of Hibs fans has been outstanding :not worth

FranckSuzy
22-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Just a quick update for you all :greengrin

We have now raised over £12,000 in one year and therefore 137 Kicks for Kids season tickets have been purchased...so far :thumbsup:

The website has had nearly 65,000 unique views, we have 1,317 'Likes' on Facebook and 720 followers on Twitter.

New Direct Debits and standing orders continue to be set-up, meaning we've over £300 coming in every month AND watch out for an auction of a signed Manchester United top coming up next week on ebay, which was kindly donated by a supporter of Leith Links who lives in the US of A :wink:

The befriender scheme for the Multi Cultural Family Base (MCFB) is now off the ground so hopefully the children will learn about our rich, proud history and feel welcomed into the Hibee family. Additionally, Lorraine from MCFB is going to send me details next week of a wee boy who has progressed to Edina Hibs and is absolutely delighted.
All-in-all, the support and response from the Hibs fans has been nothing short of magnifique :sauzee: so thank you, long may it continue and GGTTH :not worth

Bostonhibby
22-08-2014, 06:49 PM
A refreshing update Susan, its what Hibs people are about - form is temporary class is permanent:-) startin to feel good about Hibs again.

Billy Whizz
22-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Great news, well done to all who have organised and contributed

Pretty Boy
22-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Excellent stuff as always from Leith Links.

Mikey
22-08-2014, 07:01 PM
719 followers on Twitter.

I've added Leith Links to the list of Tweets that appear on the Twitter thingumybob on the PM board.

Jonnyboy
22-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I've added Leith Links to the list of Tweets that appear on the Twitter thingumybob on the PM board.

:aok: Good work Mikey. As on non tweeter it's where I read all the interesting stuff :greengrin

Mr White
22-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Outstanding work FS :aok:

FranckSuzy
22-08-2014, 07:16 PM

I saw that AND the club also RT'd my Tweet about the auction :greengrin Many thanks :aok: