PDA

View Full Version : Opinions if its Stubbs

Wellbankhibby
18-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Not the Man I would choose to lead this club at this time. We cant afford risks jut now and as long suffering fans we want to see attacking football. Allan Stubbs Is not that man.
We need a good Man Manager who will oversee the progress of our Youth system. I will support whoever is appointed but not for me sorry.

Thecat23
18-06-2014, 06:02 PM
What makes you think he won't bring attacking football??

Hermit Crab
18-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Unchartered waters. Gets a chance from me. :aok:

Hermit Crab
18-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Not the Man I would choose to lead this club at this time. We cant afford risks jut now and as long suffering fans we want to see attacking football. Allan Stubbs Is not that man.
We need a good Man Manager who will oversee the progress of our Youth system. I will support whoever is appointed but not for me sorry.

Any new manager is a risk mate.

CmoantheHibs
18-06-2014, 06:07 PM
So who, out of all the options available, isnt a risk?

Spike Mandela
18-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Judgements before new man is in place are pointles. If we are top of the league, playing free flowing football at end of season he's a success. If he's not in top 4 by end of season he's a failure.

CallumLaidlaw
18-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Youth team manager, knows the Scottish game, highly rated, worked with Moyes and Martinez. Works for me

ArmadaleHibs
18-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Let's face it, if it is Stubbs then we should get behind him. Or whoever it is for that matter. We don't know what qualities anyone's going to bring to our club so let's just put our faith in LD and see where this goes

nribs
18-06-2014, 06:11 PM
So who, out of all the options available, isnt a risk?

SM out off all the options would be the less risky. He has managed to build a couple of teams at Well. I don't think he is a realistic option though. So whoever we get we will be taking a risk.

Phoenix
18-06-2014, 06:18 PM
The Everton fans apparently can't wait to see the back of him ....

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/alan-stubbs-to-talk-to-hibernian-about-vacant-managers-job.68029/

Hmm. :confused:

CmoantheHibs
18-06-2014, 06:24 PM
SM out off all the options would be the less risky. He has managed to build a couple of teams at Well. I don't think he is a realistic option though. So whoever we get we will be taking a risk.

Probably right as he has worked with LD(dont want to risk spelling her first name:greengrin) before and has a track record doing what is required.
The fact that our club is now putting the building blocks in towards being run correctly should help whoever gets the job.Onwards and upwards.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-06-2014, 06:28 PM
The Everton fans apparently can't wait to see the back of him ....

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/alan-stubbs-to-talk-to-hibernian-about-vacant-managers-job.68029/

Hmm. :confused:

Because of the whole Rooney to Man Utd carry on.

bingo70
18-06-2014, 06:34 PM
My gut feeling is that he'd be a bad appointment but one positive interview could change my mind.

Got to trust Dempster to make the right choice, I'm sure she'll have all the same doubts we do so I'm confident she'd cover that in any interview.

iwasthere1972
18-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I'll get behind him just like I did when Butcher arrived and all the managers before him. Leanne Dempster doesn't have a crystal ball so only time will tell. Maybe he'll be another Mowbray. Hopefully not a Calderwood.

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Disappointed and confused as to what he can bring to hibs. No real management experience, no knowledge of the scottish league and seems like a cheap option from an EPL name. If true both surprising and disappointing.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Any new manager is a risk mate.

Too right we've had 'em all. Maybe if Eddie the Eagle is at a loose end he might fancy giving it a right good go.

Seriosuly tho if the last 7 years has taught us anything it's surely there's no template to success at Hibs. Leeann needs to change that starting now...

Eyrie
18-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Don't know enough about him to have an opinion at this stage, but as long as he takes us straight back up then I don't care.

flash
18-06-2014, 07:03 PM

What a pile of pish.

coldingham hibs
18-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I think it is important that whoever gets the gig they will inspire fans/supporters to go out and buy season tickets. Unfortunately for me Stubbs is hardly a name likely to get folks off their seats.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2014, 07:07 PM
I think it is important that whoever gets the gig they will inspire fans/supporters to go out and buy season tickets. Unfortunately for me Stubbs is hardly a name likely to get folks off their seats.

FFS man, have you no patience? :wink:

Waxy
18-06-2014, 07:10 PM
We need a good Man Manager who will oversee the progress of our Youth system. I will support whoever is appointed but not for me sorry.Anyone coming to us is taking a big career risk.We must get behind fully whoever gets the gig.

bingo70
18-06-2014, 07:14 PM
What a pile of pish.

So true.

I've got my reservations but his job in his current role is to develop young players so they're ready for the first team and without knowing the stats, that appears to be something Everton do better than most.

I'm half talking myself round here, before I'm totally convinced I'd like to hear his thoughts on how football should be played, if he says it's all about results I'll be concerned.

Heisenberg
18-06-2014, 07:16 PM
He'll get my backing.

Sir David Gray
18-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Not overly thrilled by the prospect of him being appointed but I've not been overly thrilled by most of the names I've heard mentioned so far.

Whoever gets appointed will get my support.

hibby67
18-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Opinions if its Stubbsoptions are to give him our support and give him a chance i don't know if would be a good appointment or not but i'm willing to give him a chance
last thing he need is feeling he is not wanted by the supporters, we need to get behind whoever gets the job and start getting positivity back into the club....

Siralbertkidd
18-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Stubbs never won Scottish Cup with celtc, probably thinks he can with us :thumbsup:

ManBearPig
18-06-2014, 07:27 PM
how do we know what kind of football stubbs would play?!

Franck Stanton
18-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Think this is just like the appointment of Mowbray, similar in the respect we were the first gig he got in managerial terms, and he IMO turned out quite well, [would certainly welcome him back], IF it is Stubbs then, like others have already stated I wouldn't be too disappointed and back him 100%. Either way, I just hope there is an appointment by this weekend so we can all move on.

OsloHibs
18-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I'll support the new manager whoever it is :aok:

weonlywon6-2
18-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I'll support the new manager whoever it is :aok:

After all the talk,this

Cameron1875
18-06-2014, 07:32 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/DeadlyMangoChutney/alan-partridge-shrug-o1.gif

Capt Mainwaring
18-06-2014, 07:36 PM
A winner in all respects, should command respect from players just don't know enough about his tactical nous, but looks like he's served a decent apprenticeship at Everton.

Feels like a Mowbray type candidate so I'm positive about the prospect

Greencore
18-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Gotta say don't like it. That being said will give him my full backing.

Dumfrieshibs
18-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Have it on good authority from a dodgy source that nobody has a clue who the new manager will be or how he will set the team up to play ....FACT (always wanted to finish a post with that) ;-)

DH1875
18-06-2014, 07:54 PM
He will get my backing but to be honest I'm not confinced. Hopefully a good start to the season and some words of encouregment from him will prove my doubts wrong.

Waxy
18-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Mcleish was an inexperienced manager when we got him.Think he wasn't doing that great at motherwell when we got him and he ended up taking us to promotion first time and within a few seasons we were third.

KiddA
18-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Another potential gamble/risk not for me

The club needs to get this right not take a risk like Stubbs

gillythehibby
18-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Mcleish was an inexperienced manager when we got him.Think he wasn't doing that great at motherwell when we got him and he ended up taking us to promotion first time and within a few seasons we were third.
Aye and he had more money to spemd then any previous manager and manager after him. We finished 3rd courtesy of the money which brought sauzee latapy etc. Stil agre he moulded them into a good side.

bingo70
18-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Any experienced manager we could get would have been a failure somewhere before so more of a risk than someone breaking into management that might just be brilliant.

Golden Bear
18-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I really don't know enough about the guy's recent CV and coaching abilities to provide an informed opinion but if he is appointed then it goes without saying that as fans we must unite behind him and give him our 100% support.

manx hibee
18-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Unchartered waters. Gets a chance from me. :aok:

^^^^^^
100%

Skol
18-06-2014, 08:39 PM
We took a gamble on Mowbray and that worked out. Stubbs appears to have a similar background and while his appointment wouldnt excite me, I will reserve judgement until I hear what he says and see what he does.

Other 'safe/experienced' appointments like Mixu, Yogi ,Butcher - even Calderwood and Fenlon or Williamson - havent exactly been succesful.

telfordhibby
18-06-2014, 08:43 PM

100% Correct KiddA.......

bingo70
18-06-2014, 08:46 PM
100% Correct KiddA.......

Who wouldn't be a risk?

Tonez
18-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Can't say I'm overly excited about Stubbs. Would have thought there was a manager out there with a better CV than somebody who's in charge of a reserve team, Also the Everton fans don't like him much, not exactly a glowing report.

smurf
18-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Can't say I'm overly excited about Stubbs. Would have thought there was a manager out there with a better CV than somebody who's in charge of a reserve team, Also the Everton fans don't like him much, not exactly a glowing report.

This for me too.

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Agreed. I was hopeful there would be more in the appointment than he is employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

bingo70
18-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Agreed. I was hopeful there would be more in the appointment than he is employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

Do you think dempster will appoint someone based on that?

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Do you think dempster will appoint someone based on that?

that is my summary, I did not say it was her recruitment checklist.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2014, 09:04 PM

Is that whats happening here?

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Is that whats happening here?

?

BoltonHibee
18-06-2014, 09:06 PM
He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people. Martinez wants shot of him ( since day 1) only because he wants his own people in. Stubbs knows this and has applied for many jobs since the departure of Moyes. Could he do a job for Hibs, absolutely but I think he would/ should have a seasoned assistant alongside him. ( I know who my choice for that would be)- Bruce Rioch.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2014, 09:17 PM
?

So you dont know then?

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 09:24 PM
So you dont know then?

I don't know, in fact none if us know for sure we are all speculating. But if reports are correct we are speaking to the guy who is reserve coach at Everton and he has said in the papers he is interested in getting into management. Thoughts?

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't know, in fact none if us know for sure we are all speculating. But if reports are correct we are speaking to the guy who is reserve coach at Everton and he has said in the papers he is interested in getting into management. Thoughts?

A well respected scout for a recent FA cup winning team has told us ( He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people. Martinez wants shot of him ( since day 1) only because he wants his own people in. Stubbs knows this and has applied for many jobs since the departure of Moyes.)

Sounds a bit more than he's employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

Wellbankhibby
18-06-2014, 09:29 PM
What a pile of pish.

My Opinion Flash. Just like your name take it from me if he is appointed he will be a flash in the Pan. I will accept whoever Is the Manager But TOO RISKY at present. Love your Language. TUT TUT

gegs70
18-06-2014, 09:52 PM
I know that we have asked permission to speak to Stubbs, but surely that would be his interview and it may be that they are still talking to a few others?

Im not sure about stubbs but if hired they must see some potential there?

basehibby
18-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Well to be honest I think our opinions as fans have been proven time and again to be pretty immaterial.

Collectively we have backed the appointments of the likes of Sauzee, Collins, Mixu, Hughes and Butcher - all of whom have either walked or been pushed having had their fair share of trials and tribulations at ER and each having been shown to have their own personal limitations. On the other hand we backed the appointment of McLeish who was a success with Hibs.

Collectively we snorted disdainfully at the appointments of Calderwood, Fenlon and Mowbray - CC failed miserably, Fenlon brought about some improvement but ultimately did not measure up, while Mowbray turned out to be a brilliant match for the club, albeit having been blessed with a swathe of excellant youngsters, all blooded under the much maligned Bobby Williamson.

What that shows to me is that the backing of the fans is in no way a guarantee of the success of a manager and makes precious little difference to the amount of patience shown by the support if things go awry. All I hope is that whoever comes in he gets things right quickly and attempts to play an entertaining style of football - otherwise we could all be asking the same bloody questions again this time next year.

RIP Bestie
18-06-2014, 09:55 PM

This

SunshineOnLeith
18-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Stubbs knows this and has applied for many jobs since the departure of Moyes.

Sounds a bit more than he's employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

Got to wonder why he hasn't got a job so far if this is true. Alarm bells...

If he's appointed it'll be a shrug of the shoulders and carry on for me, neither impressed nor disappointed.

Hibbyradge
18-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Stubbs out...

SunshineOnLeith
18-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Collectively we snorted disdainfully at the appointments of... Mowbray

Not how I remember it at all, one press conference and he had us under his spell!

Hibbyradge
18-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Not how I remember it at all, one press conference and he had us under his spell!

Not when he was appointed.

madhatter
18-06-2014, 10:06 PM
David Unsworth vs Boozy for assistant is the question...

Boozy for me :greengrin

southsider
18-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Can he bring Tim Cahill as his No. 2 ?

SunshineOnLeith
18-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Not when he was appointed.

I don't think we 'snorted disdainfully' though. I'll admit to going "Who?" because I genuinely hadn't heard of him but was won over quickly.

There were also plenty of people excited by Calderwood's appointment, probably right up until his first press conference though, conversely! :greengrin

Fenlon was welcomed by most as well. In fact I don't think we've really widely disliked a managerial appointment since Blobby. And even he was accepted in a pragmatic sense of being what we needed then and there.

Paisley Hibby
18-06-2014, 10:11 PM
He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people. Martinez wants shot of him ( since day 1) only because he wants his own people in. Stubbs knows this and has applied for many jobs since the departure of Moyes. Could he do a job for Hibs, absolutely but I think he would/ should have a seasoned assistant alongside him. ( I know who my choice for that would be)- Bruce Rioch.

So how do you explain the everton fans reaction. I'm not talking about the Rooney and Baines stuff but the references to archaic training methods and terrible football to watch. That sounds too similar to Butcher for my liking.

cad
18-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Stubbs will do for me .
Venus naw.
Nid heard great things about his start in management goes down a storm with his players, maybe its to early for him I dont know.
John O Neil ( is he available ??) yup the rest in Scotland canny see why the SPFL`s finest would want to come to us TBH.
Good luck Al if the gig comes your way, just get us playing football ASAP

GGTTH

lucky
18-06-2014, 10:16 PM
I'd rather someone who does not have an Old Firm connection. Can't say I'm impressed if it's him

BVB Hibs
18-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Somebody doesn't spend that long at a club in the kind of role he had if he doesn't have some sort of ability.

The thing that strikes me is that he isn't a seasoned manager. That in my opinion is a good thing, he's done his apprenticeship and he's looking to step up to full management. We all know what LD wants for the club, and if he gets the role I'd expect him to be somebody with a good all round package. If we have shortlisted 40 managers, a shortlist that will include managers that we know would do well here, and he still gets the job I'd back him to do it well.

I'd agree that if he comes in by himself, we need to ensure that we put a good team around him, including an assistant who will play a similar style and has experience in Scotland. Paddy Fenlon always drew the short straw on this and I'd not like to see that situation repeated. For me, the assistant will be as important as who comes in as manager here.

BoltonHibee
18-06-2014, 10:25 PM
So how do you explain the everton fans reaction. I'm not talking about the Rooney and Baines stuff but the references to archaic training methods and terrible football to watch. That sounds too similar to Butcher for my liking.

I couldn't honestly tell you

Albion Hibs
18-06-2014, 10:38 PM
A well respected scout for a recent FA cup winning team has told us ( He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people. Martinez wants shot of him ( since day 1) only because he wants his own people in. Stubbs knows this and has applied for many jobs since the departure of Moyes.)

just the bits in bold.

Out of interest "how do we want to play"? What is this guys management track record? This board has been full of "he is too big a risk", "it's too soon", "he has never done anything before", "he always signs duds / can't spot a good player"....as far as I am concerned all of these and more apply to Stubbs.

Franck Stanton
18-06-2014, 10:47 PM

With regards to the Everton fans not liking Stubbs, it appears this is because he was one of the people who advised / helped Rooney to decide to leave Everton for Man U. Dare say we wouldn't like a Club employee who was instrumental in helping, say Leigh Griffiths, decide to leave us & go to the smellies
[now before some smart person comes on and states the obvious, I am using Leigh to illistrate my point ]. Their anger/dislike has nothing to d with his coaching abilities. Would he be a gamble ? Yes of course he would, but then, who wouldn't be ?

nribs
18-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Stubbs will do for me .
Venus naw.
Nid heard great things about his start in management goes down a storm with his players, maybe its to early for him I dont know.
John O Neil ( is he available ??) yup the rest in Scotland canny see why the SPFL`s finest would want to come to us TBH.
Good luck Al if the gig comes your way, just get us playing football ASAP

GGTTH
John O'Neil?

IanM
19-06-2014, 05:56 AM
I asked an Everton fan I know what he thought of Stubbs.. Pretty much what we've all heard..

Sure, most of what you probably read is about right, with the added pinch of salt that needs to be taken when fans get heated about things. It's true he did get involved with Rooney (the Baines ones I'm not so sure) and he didn't endear himself to us with his comments about his contract and walking away (he came back later)). He's a tough character though.

He's done pretty well with the U21s and other groups - I seem to remember they won the PL U21 groups and a knock out final at Fulham a couple of years back - we're usually there or thereabouts in the league season. I'm not sure I entirely like the way the reserves have played in the past - a bit more direct than we were under Moyes was my impression. I think the very best work Everton have done below first team has been with the younger groups which tend to win quite a few things but the best players have obviously then come through the U21 at some point to make it into our first team so he must have been doing something right to get the likes of Garbutt, Browning etc into the first team fold.

Apparently he was interviewed for the Everton job - along with a few others - so we must value him. Perhaps he needs to engage brain before speaking (see above) but he's got no challenge to improve on Butcher's approach I'd think and things can only get better for you Hibbies. Hope you get the right guy.

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Alan Stubbs? For Christs sake, is that what they've come up with? They can search the world but the collective imagination at ER has come up with Alan Stubbs. Why not just give it back to Butcher! Alan Stubbs! Alan Stubbs! Alan Stubbs! Alano Stubster! Alan Stubbs! Alan.....Stubbs!

bingo70
19-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Alan Stubbs? For Christs sake, is that what they've come up with? They can search the world but the collective imagination at ER has come up with Alan Stubbs. Why not just give it back to Butcher! Alan Stubbs! Alan Stubbs! Alan Stubbs! Alano Stubster! Alan Stubbs! Alan.....Stubbs!

Tbh I wanted a foreigner with a good name more than most but I can see why Stubbs is being considered.

I won't write him off until I've heard his first interview with the press, that's when I'll decide if he gets my backing.

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Tbh I wanted a foreigner with a good name more than most but I can see why Stubbs is being considered.

I won't write him off until I've heard his first interview with the press, that's when I'll decide if he gets my backing.

If he get's the Job I will back him, give him a chance and hope (as every Hibs fan Should) that he does well, but for me it strikes as being a lazy/unimaginative appointment. I want more than Alan Stubbs.

heretoday
19-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Toffees seem happy to see him go, one of them naming him a parasite. Some of them are still bitter about the Rooney business too. So Hibs are risking taking on a man with some baggage.

Beefster
19-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Have we written Stubbs off yet?

Have folk got in their posts so that they can post "told you so" in a year's time? Or stay quiet if he does the business obviously.

Golden Bear
19-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Toffees seem happy to see him go, one of them naming him a parasite. Some of them are still bitter about the Rooney business too. So Hibs are risking taking on a man with some baggage.

If the Everton fans forums are anything like this one then the opinions expressed shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Golden Bear
19-06-2014, 07:08 AM

Have folk got in their posts so that they can post "told you so" in a year's time? Or stay quiet if he does the business obviously.

In fact i'm really surprised that even in the close season, rumours of training ground unrest have not started to rumble. It's only a matter of time.

bingo70
19-06-2014, 07:09 AM
If he get's the Job I will back him, give him a chance and hope (as every Hibs fan Should) that he does well, but for me it strikes as being a lazy/unimaginative appointment. I want more than Alan Stubbs.

I got stick at the time for saying butcher was a lazy appointment.

I don't think Stubbs falls into that category, I think he'd be an ambitious gamble, we're effectively gambling on someone that might just be brilliant rather than a safe option that's only likely to be mediocre at best.

carnoustiehibee
19-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Ah nah not Alan Stubbs...

Ever since John Collins our managers are just getting uglier and uglier.

We should be aiming for someone like Diego Simone

Lewis77
19-06-2014, 07:12 AM

I don't think Stubbs falls into that category, I think he'd be an ambitious gamble, we're effectively gambling on someone that might just be brilliant rather than a safe option that's only likely to be mediocre at best.

I hope you're right and if he does get the job I'll pray you're right and that's saying something as an atheist.

confused
19-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I'M sorry I don't get this "if he has a good first interview with the press ???? I couldn't care if he cant put two words together to the press , I 'm sick and tired of hearing crap to the press , I want results on the park !!! and I don't for one minute believe we will win this league next season ,It's a long hard road to get out of this mess , it's taken many years to get into this state I don't believe we will get out of it easily, I don't give a toss if the new gaffer "talks the talk " I want to "walk the walk" Preferably Leith Walk , behind the Scottish Cup ALK

bingo70
19-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I'M sorry I don't get this "if he has a good first interview with the press ???? I couldn't care if he cant put two words together to the press , I 'm sick and tired of hearing crap to the press , I want results on the park !!! and I don't for one minute believe we will win this league next season ,It's a long hard road to get out of this mess , it's taken many years to get into this state I don't believe we will get out of it easily, I don't give a toss if the new gaffer "talks the talk " I want to "walk the walk" Preferably Leith Walk , behind the Scottish Cup ALK

It was half tongue in cheek, of course he'll be judged by results on the park.

I'm only half joking though because if he says on his first interview something like "it's all about the results, that's all people care about at the end of the day" tgen I'll have a fair idea he'll be a dud.

If he speaks about player development, getting the most out of players and playing football the right way then I'll be pretty confident he'll do well.

stantonhibby
19-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Oh yes...........there's a fair bit of positioning going on.

Crossgates Hibs
19-06-2014, 07:34 AM

Have to agree here but this is his big break on his own he will be hungry and ambitious hopefully. After TB which I was delighted with by the way I will be happy to give whoever is appointed. My first choice would have been McCall but I will back whoever is appointed. As long as he moves up here and we don't have a Calderwood or Fenlon problem going home all the time and the squad having too much spare time.

erskine-hibby
19-06-2014, 07:34 AM
If he is appointed then of course I will back him, but, as always, it is what he does that will be what he is judged on.
Don't think we are in any position at the moment to be ultra picky.

IWasThere2016
19-06-2014, 08:01 AM
A few journos saying it's big Una Stubbs

NOLA
Asking an awful lot of a rookie manager to get us promoted at the first attempt.

Ronniekirk
In fact i'm really surprised that even in the close season, rumours of training ground unrest have not started to rumble. It's only a matter of time.
Give it time they report back on Monday :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
19-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Whoever it is that is appointed will get my full backing.....

As an aside, some of us thought Mowbray was a gamble and he turned out great, whilst other "proven" managers turned out to be disasters, i.e. Calderwood, Butcher etc....

The new manager needs to be given time to rebuild an entire team/squad, there is no quick fix this time.....

silverhibee
19-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Stubbs has just left Edinburgh airport, you cannae take these scousers anywhere.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4493276_f520.jpg

:greengrin

gorgie greens
19-06-2014, 09:36 AM
If were getting a rookie I'd rather have Ian Murray at least if he was doing well he would not up and run at the first time any the old firm come knocking

stantonhibby
19-06-2014, 09:41 AM
If were getting a rookie I'd rather have Ian Murray at least if he was doing well he would not up and run at the first time any the old firm come knocking

Really??

southsider
19-06-2014, 09:46 AM
can we get Tim Cahill as his assistant. Maybe get a tie up with Everton to loan us some of their decent youngsters. Glory Glory

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Got to wonder why he hasn't got a job so far if this is true. Alarm bells...

If he's appointed it'll be a shrug of the shoulders and carry on for me, neither impressed nor disappointed.

Why does it give out alarm bells, do you know what clubs he's applied to and who got the job? I have no idea if he's after the job at Hibs, but he's doing his apprenticeship at a premier league club in England.

He clearly wants to manage on his own, but has not been given the chance yet. He's been doing a good job for the last few years, and the club have seen something in him to have a look.

He will sink or swim like the rest of them if he's appointed.

J-C
19-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Can't believe some of the negativity regarding Stubbs appointment(if it happens), we have tried the tested SPFL manager and Butcher was a disaster, we've went with ex players and that never worked out, we went left field and Fenlon wasn't good enough, the only time we've had a glimmer of success was Mowbray who at the time was a very highly rated coach, working well with the younger squad players.

Stubbs has worked as assistant reserve coach ( now U 21's ), he's overseen the progress of Barkley and Coleman breaking into the 1st team, to me this is exactly the type of man we need, someone who can work closely with the youngsters and also capable of working with seniors too.

Billychaotic182
19-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I think at the end of the day anyone will be a risk and we need to remember that we as fans have been to blame for a few failures. We wanted Butcher we hounded out Mixu who went on to become a very good manager. Who ever it is we need to back 100% and put all the negativity behind us. This is a new era for hibs.

carnoustiehibee
19-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Can't believe some of the negativity regarding Stubbs appointment(if it happens), we have tried the tested SPFL manager and Butcher was a disaster, we've went with ex players and that never worked out, we went left field and Fenlon wasn't good enough, the only time we've had a glimmer of success was Mowbray who at the time was a very highly rated coach, working well with the younger squad players.

Stubbs has worked as assistant reserve coach ( now U 21's ), he's overseen the progress of Barkley and Coleman breaking into the 1st team, to me this is exactly the type of man we need, someone who can work closely with the youngsters and also capable of working with seniors too.

Was Coleman ever in the youth set up? I thought he came straight from Ireland when he was 19-20?

The rest I totally agree with. Would know a lot of players in the reserve leagues aswell that would be good signings

khib70
19-06-2014, 10:11 AM

You don't do irony, do you?:greengrin

HoboHarry
19-06-2014, 10:15 AM
You don't do irony, do you?:greengrin

How long do you think before he gets it? Lol

J-C
19-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Was Coleman ever in the youth set up? I thought he came straight from Ireland when he was 19-20?

The rest I totally agree with. Would know a lot of players in the reserve leagues aswell that would be good signings

Coleman was playing in the U 21's prior to getting his 1st team call up, so Stubbs had him for around a season or so, if you look at the Everton web site, you can see a lot of good decent players around the 20-23 yr age group, either been on loan or have been playing regular for the U 21 team, the thing is he's not being slagged off by any fan for his coaching, it's a personal thing with them (Rooney and being old guard one of Moyes's team)

nribs
19-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Not having a go at anyone or Stubbs but he doesn't go out and directly find these players. By the time they get to him they are probably already decent players. I have no idea what his coaching abilities are like because I dont follow Everton that closely and dont know anybody who is connected with Everton. I'm still sure LD will get the right guy in if it's Stubbs, Venus, Gemill or somebody else.

TowerHibs
19-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Not having a go at anyone or Stubbs but he doesn't go out and directly find these players. By the time they get to him they are probably already decent players. I have no idea what his coaching abilities are like because I dont follow Everton that closely and dont know anybody who is connected with Everton. I'm still sure LD will get the right guy in if it's Stubbs, Venus, Gemill or somebody else.

yeah i agree. To me this is a very risky move but so are most shouts. I would like to have seen us pluck a foreign manager out the hat, we as a club have been dying for a culture change and i think an older Eastern European, Scandinavian, European coach would be ideal. a 50 year old who has chased his money and is looking for a 4/5 year project and can put lans in place for his succession

I just worry the Stubbs would go after 18 months in charge and build a team rather than a club From the reports about why Everton fans don't like him, it is evident that he is very cynical in the business of football and i feel he will be here to better himself and get a better job.

In an ideal world, i would prefer someone to see Hibs as a long term challange to make us a top top team in Scotland over 5/10 years that i can take my kid to one day rather than someone who sees us as a stepping stone. Hard to find these guys though

JimBHibees
19-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Yep incredible how anyone can be written off before in the door to be honest. Sounds an interesting candidate and kind of fits with the recent release by CEO.

Holmesdale Hibs
19-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Last time we hired an ex-Celtic defender with no management experience we had the best and most exciting team I've seen in years. For that reason, I'm open minded.

nribs
19-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Last time we hired an ex-Celtic defender with no management experience we had the best and most exciting team I've seen in years. For that reason, I'm open minded.

We did and it was helped by the fact he had the best group of youngsters that had Come through in an age. I'm also open minded.

Smartie
19-06-2014, 10:53 AM
yeah i agree. To me this is a very risky move but so are most shouts. I would like to have seen us pluck a foreign manager out the hat, we as a club have been dying for a culture change and i think an older Eastern European, Scandinavian, European coach would be ideal. a 50 year old who has chased his money and is looking for a 4/5 year project and can put lans in place for his succession

I just worry the Stubbs would go after 18 months in charge and build a team rather than a club From the reports about why Everton fans don't like him, it is evident that he is very cynical in the business of football and i feel he will be here to better himself and get a better job.

In an ideal world, i would prefer someone to see Hibs as a long term challange to make us a top top team in Scotland over 5/10 years that i can take my kid to one day rather than someone who sees us as a stepping stone. Hard to find these guys though

I used to think like this but I don't now. I'd be happy for someone to come in and get us right back on track before disappearing in about 18 months or so. We can then find the correct manager to come into a successful situation and take it on again. Think St Johnstone or maybe Swansea. It's an easier task for a manager than coming in to a struggling squad who have failed the new manager's predecessor.

I honestly don't think anyone would stay at Hibs if they got the chance to go to the Old Firm/ the English Championship or Premier League, regardless of their age.

I just want someone to do a good enough job to get headhunted again. As long as we're not punting them again after 6 months - 1 year or leading up to an AGM.

Smartie
19-06-2014, 11:00 AM
We did and it was helped by the fact he had the best group of youngsters that had Come through in an age. I'm also open minded.

At the time Mowbray came in they had potential. I think he played a huge part in helping them achieve what they did.

I actually think we have a pretty decent crop at the moment. Stanton, Harris, Forster and Cummings could do well with the right players around them and the right man in charge. A year in the first team at a lower level, together, may help their confidence grow too. They could be able to have the odd bad game without being crucufied for it.

BVB Hibs
19-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Unimaginative appointment? I don't see how it is at all. McCall would be an unimaginative appointment as we'd simply be picking a manager who's had some success in the SPL. Tried that with Butcher, it didn't work.

We're trying to be a different entity to other sides in the SPL and have the ability to do so through the size of the club and the fan base. Stubbs is somebody who has now done numerous years at a club that does things the way LD wants us to do it in future. Stubbs, while a risk as he's never been a first team manager, is probably more suited to the role than any SPL manager out there currently. That somebody like McCall could do a decent job with the first team is out of the question, but could he manage the club as a whole? Stubbs would at least have seen how clubs operate on the level we're aspiring to.

JimBHibees
19-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Unimaginative appointment? I don't see how it is at all. McCall would be an unimaginative appointment as we'd simply be picking a manager who's had some success in the SPL. Tried that with Butcher, it didn't work.

We're trying to be a different entity to other sides in the SPL and have the ability to do so through the size of the club and the fan base. Stubbs is somebody who has now done numerous years at a club that does things the way LD wants us to do it in future. Stubbs, while a risk as he's never been a first team manager, is probably more suited to the role than any SPL manager out there currently. That somebody like McCall could do a decent job with the first team is out of the question, but could he manage the club as a whole? Stubbs would at least have seen how clubs operate on the level we're aspiring to.

It is a hugely imaginative appointment and you would assume that maybe a reference was made also from Roberto Martinez given his previous Motherwell connection. Personally you want an ambitious and up and coming appointment who is keen to do well. If he comes here and does a cracking job for 18 months then is head headed then good IMO as we will be better off. He will need some luck and patience shown though and hopefully he is given licence to bring in his own backroom staff rather than have to cobble together working with people he doesnt know.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 12:24 PM

You are living in some sort of fantasy world if you think we will have a successful manager who will stay at the club for 5-10 years.

Anyone remotely decent will be off as soon as a bigger job is available, and the ones who are crap will be punted.

Which is why we need to have a philosophy of style at the club, which is carried on through the years by like minded managers.

Golden Bear
19-06-2014, 12:29 PM
You are living in some sort of fantasy world if you think we will have a successful manager who will stay at the club for 5-10 years.

Anyone remotely decent will be off as soon as a bigger job is available, and the ones who are crap will be punted.

Which is why we need to have a philosophy of style at the club, which is carried on through the years by like minded managers.

That's the most sensible statement I've ever read from you BH!

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 12:30 PM
That's the most sensible statement I've ever read from you BH!

I'm working through you lot one by one, eventually you will all think like me. :wink:

stantonhibby
19-06-2014, 12:34 PM
That's the only sensible statement I've ever read from you BH!

Sorted that for you !!

Golden Bear
19-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Sorted that for you !!

:tee hee:

I'll leave it at that!

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 12:37 PM
just the bits in bold.

Out of interest "how do we want to play"? What is this guys management track record? This board has been full of "he is too big a risk", "it's too soon", "he has never done anything before", "he always signs duds / can't spot a good player"....as far as I am concerned all of these and more apply to Stubbs.

You stated, I was hopeful there would be more in the appointment than he is employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

Now you have been told He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people.

Its a lot more than just fancying a job as a manager as you initially said.

TowerHibs
19-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I used to think like this but I don't now. I'd be happy for someone to come in and get us right back on track before disappearing in about 18 months or so. We can then find the correct manager to come into a successful situation and take it on again. Think St Johnstone or maybe Swansea. It's an easier task for a manager than coming in to a struggling squad who have failed the new manager's predecessor.

I honestly don't think anyone would stay at Hibs if they got the chance to go to the Old Firm/ the English Championship or Premier League, regardless of their age.

I just want someone to do a good enough job to get headhunted again. As long as we're not punting them again after 6 months - 1 year or leading up to an AGM.

I understand what your saying but i Swansea had 3/4 years of someone building up the culture of the club before being able to pass it onto a new manager. I think we have a lot of ground work to do before being in a position of letting the manager go every 18 months.

Saying that, Scottish football is a complete mess. We need to stop the huge turnover in players as stis allows no long term planning.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Sorted that for you !!

:tee hee:

I'll leave it at that!

Pricks. :wink:

stantonhibby
19-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Pricks. :wink:

Yep!

Stevie Reid
19-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Fully agree, and said so myself recently - something similar to what Swansea have done the last few years.

To be fair, I think we did try to do that to an extent in the appointments from Mowbray to Hughes - they were all appointed and announced with statements that incorporated references to playing the right way, the Hibs way, etc. - it's just that practically all of Mixu's tenure saw uninspiring football, and the latter third of Yogi's saw us completely inept in almost every department.

By the time Calderwood came around, I'm pretty sure most people on here were of the opinion that they were sick of hearing about philosophies and playing a certain way, sick of being perceived as soft, and more than anything were sick of losing. A certain amount of winning ugly would definitely have been acceptable to most.

However, losing ugly - which we did for Calderwood's entire tenure - was never going to be acceptable. Pat's appointment saw an all too brief period of good football in the first half of 2012-13 season, before we descended into sterile possession and no incision, and then Butcher had us losing in the most ugly, embarrassing, inept fashion imaginable. Now we are most definitely ready for some football again.

However, those previous appointments were paying lip service to a certain way of playing - the only way it can be ingrained in the club is if it is adopted from bottom to top - which, to be fair, we seem to be in the process of doing now. I expect our new manager, whoever he may be, to be making a big thing of the style of play/philosophy etc. in their press conference.

TowerHibs
19-06-2014, 12:42 PM

i agree and i said in an ideal world this is what i would like to see.

I just feel that the club/fans need a commitment to implement this new style, set up before we can be in a position to appoint like minded managers. This won't be done in 18 months then a new manager comes in then a new manager. If we could get an older coach who perhaps moves upstairs or has an assistant to take over when he leaves then that sounds good.

I just dont see Alan Stubbs coming here to set up a playing culture at the club when ideally he wants to get results and exposure to be away in 2 years time.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I understand what your saying but i Swansea had 3/4 years of someone building up the culture of the club before being able to pass it onto a new manager. I think we have a lot of ground work to do before being in a position of letting the manager go every 18 months.

Saying that, Scottish football is a complete mess. We need to stop the huge turnover in players as stis allows no long term planning.

Managers since 2007.

Martinez 2 years

Sousa 1 year

Rodgers 2 years

Laudrup 2 years

The same style of management yes, but nonsense they wer there for 3 or 4 years.

Hibrandenburg
19-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Underwhelmed, but I'll support him like I supported all our managers.

TowerHibs
19-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Managers since 2007.

Martinez 2 years

Sousa 1 year

Rodgers 2 years

Laudrup 2 years

The same style of management yes, but nonsense they wer there for 3 or 4 years.

Fair enough, been clamped. I think with the resources we have and the pulling power to get players/coaches/youth players will take 3/4 years

heretoday
19-06-2014, 03:04 PM
If the Everton fans forums are anything like this one then the opinions expressed shouldn't be taken too seriously.

They are very much like this one! Only slightly less sentimental on Friday and Saturday nights!

I think their opinions should be taken seriously though - for the most part.

Albion Hibs
19-06-2014, 06:55 PM
You stated, I was hopeful there would be more in the appointment than he is employed by am EPL team and fancies a crack at management.

Now you have been told He is supposedly a very good coach, and if anyone has seen his development squad play ( in certain matches), would play the way we want to. Some great players have come through the Everton system and stepped into the 1st team. He has a great number of contacts within the game from Scouts, Agents and other footballing people.

Its a lot more than just fancying a job as a manager as you initially said.

ooohhhh! Sorry, I did not realise that 'I have been told he is supposedly a good coach' in that case sign him up, in fact give him the keys to the city.

Stubbs added: "When that will be, I don't know, but it's something I always said I would do and has always interested me.

SunshineOnLeith
19-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I'd prefer Jimmy Calderwood.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Id prefer Collin

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2014, 08:11 PM
ooohhhh! Sorry, I did not realise that 'I have been told he is supposedly a good coach' in that case sign him up, in fact give him the keys to the city.

Stubbs added: "When that will be, I don't know, but it's something I always said I would do and has always interested me.

So you should be.

Baldy Foghorn
19-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Not for me, bad enough watching team, without having to watch Jimmy constantly scratching his ging gangs......

3pm
19-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Not for me, bad enough watching team, without having to watch Jimmy constantly scratching his ging gangs......

If he gets us oot the league I'll scratch them for him! :o)

Baldy Foghorn
19-06-2014, 08:57 PM

:greengrin:greengrin

DH1875
19-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Me too.

oregonhibby
19-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I suppose this is why managers wont want to come here. Judged before they arrive.

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I suppose this is why managers wont want to come here. Judged before they arrive.

Yes I'm sure they all trawl fans forums before deciding whether or not to accept a job offer.

oregonhibby
19-06-2014, 09:17 PM
No they don't but we sit in the stands and give them he'll after a few poor results. It is the sentiment not what they read. Self fulfilling prophesy

iwasthere1972
19-06-2014, 10:15 PM

Better watch what you say in case the lazy Edinburgh Evening News online people have a slow day tomorrow.

:agree:

Kato
19-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Spoke with my Baggies supporting pal who sees a lot of reserve football down there. Says Stubbs likes his teams to pass the ball and always has a solid defence, great at coaxing the best from youngsters. Trust his judgement too.

GreenCastle
19-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Type Alan Stubbs into Google and there are a few videos of him chatting about football etc - comes across ok - few usual clichés and reminds me of JH.

Winning games is the most important outcome this season but
he seriously needs to get us playing some reasonably attractive football also if he wants many fans to return.

Scottie
19-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Spoke with my Baggies supporting pal who sees a lot of reserve football down there. Says Stubbs likes his teams to pass the ball and always has a solid defence, great at coaxing the best from youngsters. Trust his judgement too.
Sounds very much like what we were told about Terry Butchers philosophy on football :rolleyes:

Kato
19-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Sounds very much like what we were told about Terry Butchers philosophy on football :rolleyes:

OooooooooH, get Mr Sarky pants.

Benn drinking the jambo juice, half-pint.

I can't remember anyone saying what Terry Butcher's "philosophy" was but we will have a new manager soon regardless of what "we" were told.

Get behind him (whoever it is) and try and stuff your ego back in it's socket. < Good advice, trust me.

Scottie
19-06-2014, 11:29 PM
OooooooooH, get Mr Sarky pants.

Benn drinking the jambo juice, half-pint.

I can't remember anyone saying what Terry Butcher's "philosophy" was but we will have a new manager soon regardless of what "we" were told.

Get behind him (whoever it is) and try and stuff your ego back in it's socket. < Good advice, trust me.
Top man Kato

Couple o the Stella's tonight to celebrate Engerlands performance :aok:

I'll be right behind the new manager regardless o who it is so thanks for the 'Good advice, trust me' bollocks :greengrin

Kato
19-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Top man Kato

Couple o the Stella's tonight to celebrate Engerlands performance :aok:

I'll be right behind the new manager regardless o who it is so thanks for the 'Good advice, trust me' bollocks :greengrin

Gutted England lost myself, but find it decreases my tolerance of cynicism.

Iain G
19-06-2014, 11:38 PM
If he is appointed then of course I will back him, but, as always, it is what he does that will be what he is judged on.
Don't think we are in any position at the moment to be ultra picky.

Is this being picky or even unimaginative?

A coach of a fairly succesfull U21 team that has developed players through the ranks to EPL standard sounds like a good fit for what LD has been saying about continuity of development from youth to first team. And he is a a man who seems energised and enthusiastic and ready to take his first steps into management.

I think he ticks a whole bunch of the boxes we seem to be looking for and we need a manager to re-energise the club and the fans, and Stubbs comes from a similar position to Tony Mowbray when he joined us, so he is maybe just what we need right now.

Scottie
19-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Gutted England lost myself, but find it decreases my tolerance of cynicism.
I'm with you as would liked to see England progress to the later stages but my original post was a comparison the way TB team were meant to play when he arrived at Hibs compared to the way Stubbs likes his team to play.
I hope if Stubbs gets the job his team don't end up playing the TB way at the end of his reign

erskine-hibby
20-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Is this being picky or even unimaginative?

A coach of a fairly succesfull U21 team that has developed players through the ranks to EPL standard sounds like a good fit for what LD has been saying about continuity of development from youth to first team. And he is a a man who seems energised and enthusiastic and ready to take his first steps into management.

I think he ticks a whole bunch of the boxes we seem to be looking for and we need a manager to re-energise the club and the fans, and Stubbs comes from a similar position to Tony Mowbray when he joined us, so he is maybe just what we need right now.

You could well be right. I was saying that we (the fans in general) shouldn't get too hung up or picky about who comes in. Who knows what he can achieve until given a chance.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2014, 06:25 AM
You could well be right. I was saying that we (the fans in general) shouldn't get too hung up or picky about who comes in. Who knows what he can achieve until given a chance.

Exactly, we as fans know nothing about who the applicants are, how they interview or how they want to play the game.

We also have no idea just what they want from the job, how they see the club now and in the future, and what they plan to do if the are successful.

Which is why anyone who blames the fans when the board get it wrong is just stupid,yes we can have our favorites, but we know very little about the important things when appointing a new man.

Johibs
20-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Not my first pick, would have prefered Duncan ferguson, but I'll give whoever it is my full support.

ahibby
20-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Did he not have an operation to remove a tumor on the brain when he was at Sceptic? He must have gotten over whatever it was to be in the frame. I remember him mostly for committing a glaring foul in the box at ER which was a penalty except the officials didn't see it. It was on Mark Libra who he pulled down by the shirt at a corner. Anyone with his experience must know a lot about the game and have good contacts so I'd keep an open mind if it's him.

J-C
20-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Did he not have an operation to remove a tumor on the brain when he was at Sceptic? He must have gotten over whatever it was to be in the frame. I remember him mostly for committing a glaring foul in the box at ER which was a penalty except the officials didn't see it. It was on Mark Libra who he pulled down by the shirt at a corner. Anyone with his experience must know a lot about the game and have good contacts so I'd keep an open mind if it's him.

Testicular cancer

ahibby
20-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Testicular cancer

Wi a bandage on his heed, gees heed the ba a completely different meaning. You are of course spot on mate. Sorry for making light of such a serious condition, testicular cancer is no laughing matter. I do remember the game when he fouled Mark Libra in the box and he was making a come back after injury returning with a head bandage IIRC.

J-C
20-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Wi a bandage on his heed, gees heed the ba a completely different meaning. You are of course spot on mate. Sorry for making light of such a serious condition, testicular cancer is no laughing matter. I do remember the game when he fouled Mark Libra in the box and he was making a come back after injury returning with a head bandage IIRC.

Seemingly fell out with Everton hierarchy because they insisted on having a clause put into his contract extension in case the cancer came back, the club denied this.

Iggy Pope
20-06-2014, 04:36 PM

The way I remember his comeback game after cancer treatment was scoring against us! Could be wrong, but the memory seems vivid.

Hiber-nation
20-06-2014, 09:19 PM
The way I remember his comeback game after cancer treatment was scoring against us! Could be wrong, but the memory seems vivid.

Aye, that's right. We got beat 5-2 and he came on at HT, got a great ovation from the Hibs fans then scored with a header. Must have been one of the last games before the 2001 Cup Final.

Hiber-nation
20-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Exactly, we as fans know nothing about who the applicants are, how they interview or how they want to play the game.

We also have no idea just what they want from the job, how they see the club now and in the future, and what they plan to do if the are successful.

Which is why anyone who blames the fans when the board get it wrong is just stupid,yes we can have our favorites, but we know very little about the important things when appointing a new man.

:top marks Spot on.

Hibs7
21-06-2014, 07:04 AM
People going on about a successful manager leaving after 18 months 2 years ... Take a look at Stuart McCall, how long has he been at Motherwell and I reckon his record would be classed as successful if he was here. Not every manager just up and jumps ship at any oportunity.

J-C
21-06-2014, 07:21 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/alan-stubbs-on-dempster-s-shortlist-for-hibs-boss-1-3452442?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This last bit makes you think Stubbs is a good fit for us.

“I know the style I want to play,” observed Stubbs. “It’s quite simple – just win. Nowadays we can get too wrapped up in philosophies and formations. Yes, you have to touch on it but there is no point in having a philosophy if you don’t win games.
“It’s different at under-21 level because we are developing players but we also want them to win and go on to be winners.
“Losers don’t play at the highest level. It’s the same with managers.”

Eyrie
21-06-2014, 12:09 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/alan-stubbs-on-dempster-s-shortlist-for-hibs-boss-1-3452442?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

“I know the style I want to play,” observed Stubbs. “It’s quite simple – just win. Nowadays we can get too wrapped up in philosophies and formations. Yes, you have to touch on it but there is no point in having a philosophy if you don’t win games.
“It’s different at under-21 level because we are developing players but we also want them to win and go on to be winners.
“Losers don’t play at the highest level. It’s the same with managers.”

I read that as meaning that Stubbs will be flexible in his approach based on the players he has available in his squad and the tactics deemed appropriate for the game we are playing.

It'll be a nice change from last season's square pegs in round holes approach.

GreenLake
21-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I read that as meaning that Stubbs will be flexible in his approach based on the players he has available in his squad and the tactics deemed appropriate for the game we are playing.

Played by erse holes with peg legs.:agree:

GlenrothesHibee
22-06-2014, 09:54 AM
We went for tried and tested with Butcher and he got us relegated. I don't know much about Stubbs but ive only heard positives about him. He's got my backing. I trust Leannes judgement.

hfc rd
22-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I'll be backing him and also trusting Leanne's judgement. Just hope Stubbs has us winning games and playing good football.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2014, 10:12 AM

to be fair, this is just a last season issue, it seems we have a systemic problem with this, season over season.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Who knows? Only tme will tell if Stubbs is a good appointment after so many managerial let downs, if he gets the results he will also get the backing of the fans if he doesn't he won't so no point in making up my mind just yet.

Turkish Green
22-06-2014, 10:30 AM
If stories are true and Stubbs came out on top of the 40 candidates that applied for the job, then I assume he was the best fit that met all the criteria that LD had listed.

if LD's long term PLAN is for Hibs to concentrate on youth then Stubbs has the credentials, however I wonder what will be the reaction of supporters if he does not achieve instant success. Will he have until the 2nd game of the season to prove himself.

All I really know about Stubbs is that he played for Celtic and like Hitler has only got one ba'.

I am trusting LD in her judgement. If it is Stubbs and Unsworth then I am sure they will prove better than TB + MM.

Turkish Green
22-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Who knows? Only tme will tell if Stubbs is a good appointment after so many managerial let downs, if he gets the results he will also get the backing of the fans if he doesn't he won't so no point in making up my mind just yet.
if Stubbs fails then LD fails. RP will make it quite clear he had nothing to do with the selection.

However I am confident that LD has done a better job in this than RP has done with all the previous appointments he was involved with.

Hibbyradge
22-06-2014, 10:36 AM
However I am confident that LD has done a better job in this than RP has done with all the previous appointments he was involved with.

That's just silly.

Hibbyradge
22-06-2014, 10:39 AM

“I know the style I want to play,” observed Stubbs. “It’s quite simple – just win.

Winning would be a start, but I'd like us to play decent football.

BarneyK
22-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Winning would be a start, but I'd like us to play decent football.

:agree:Terry Butcher wanted us to win. Colin Calderwood wanted us to win. If you don't play the game the correct way, however, you're always playing a percentage game. Let's build from the ground up a style and ethos.

22-06-2014, 06:11 PM

:top marks

Waxy
22-06-2014, 06:20 PM
:agree:Terry Butcher wanted us to win. Colin Calderwood wanted us to win. If you don't play the game the correct way, however, you're always playing a percentage game. Let's build from the ground up a style and ethos.
These managers wanted us to win, but it does look like the club was a bit of a shambles behind the scenes and this has reflected on performances on the park. Petrie knows it's his fault.

HoboHarry
22-06-2014, 06:24 PM

What a load of cobblers. Lol, lol and lol again. The fans on this forum were well aware of who and what Terry Butcher was about when he was appointed and for the most part on this forum there was general agreement that he was the correct appointment at the time. The only stupidity on show is that shown by so-called Hibs fans who take the childish "big boy did it and ran away" attitude by placing the blame on someone else for something they agreed with but no longer have the balls to admit.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2014, 06:26 PM
These managers wanted us to win, but it does look like the club was a bit of a shambles behind the scenes and this has reflected on performances on the park. Petrie knows it's his fault.

Far too much credit given to behind the scenes for our troubles, the team was a shambles because of the manager, the players and the system employed by the manager to the detriment of those players. RP can't be blamed for some of the dross the players showed us last season.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2014, 06:32 PM
What a load of cobblers. Lol, lol and lol again. The fans on this forum were well aware of who and what Terry Butcher was about when he was appointed and for the most part on this forum there was general agreement that he was the correct appointment at the time. The only stupidity on show is that shown by so-called Hibs fans who take the childish "big boy did it and ran away" attitude by placing the blame on someone else for something they agreed with but no longer have the balls to admit.

The fans were hoodwinked by his flannel, and the bollox that the media said about him. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see his track record as a manager was minging bar an 18 month spell in Inverness.

Something i brought up on here before he got the job.

And once again i will say the fans dont get paid to appoint managers, Petrie did, and once again he ****ed it up.

J-C
22-06-2014, 06:36 PM
The fans were hoodwinked by his flannel, and the bollox that the media said about him. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see his track record as a manager was minging bar an 18 month spell in Inverness.

And once again i will say the fans dont get paid to appoint managers, Petrie did, and once again he ****ed it up.

Like yourself G, I mentioned umpteen times on here how naff Butcher's record was apart from the last 18 months at Caley, he was either gonna do well or be a complete disaster, unfortunately it was the later.

Waxy
22-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Far too much credit given to behind the scenes for our troubles, the team was a shambles because of the manager, the players and the system employed by the manager to the detriment of those players. RP can't be blamed for some of the dross the players showed us last season.
Alot have this opinion. It's the reason for the petrieout campaign. We shouldn't be in the championship and i for one am still very angry about it. The fans suffer because the boss and players did not care enough. Even an attempt at an explanation from the former management or players might close it? But we got nothing.
Onwards we go. At least we seem to be heading upwards now.

HoboHarry
22-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Aye, and if it had been a success no doubt the line would have been that RP only got it right because he bent to the will of the fans.

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Aye, and if it had been a success no doubt the line would have been that RP only got it right because he bent to the will of the fans.

What a load of bollox, if he'd been a success surely we'd all be very happy? :confused:

HoboHarry
22-06-2014, 06:44 PM
What a load of bollox, if he'd been a success surely we'd all be very happy? :confused:
Well of course we would.The point being, since it escapes you, is that no-one would have given any credit to RP.

Jesus.....

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Well of course we would.The point being, since it escapes you, is that no-one would have given any credit to RP.

Jesus.....

Of course he would have the credit for getting it right, but he didn't, did he? And the reason he's slaughtered for his managerial selections is he rarely gets it right.

Jesus......

Waxy
22-06-2014, 06:52 PM
As gates and stadium size go, Hibs have always been in the top 5 in Scotland. This has been for over 100 years.
We have to be one of the most underperforming clubs in the history of world football. We can hardly even reach the occasional high when in reality we should be winning the Scottish cup at least once a decade.No wonder your p.....d off

HoboHarry
22-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Of course he would have the credit for getting it right, but he didn't, did he? And the reason he's slaughtered for his managerial selections is he rarely gets it right.

Jesus......
Unlike your good self who I imagine is never wrong about anything. I will leave you to it then - you made me laugh but there is a limit to the time I can spend at this level of intellect. :wink:

Hibeesmad
22-06-2014, 07:21 PM
I will be behind Stubbs 100% because I want our football club to be successful

ASGAWA

Stuarty27
22-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I see Apostolos Vellios has been released by Everton, maybe Stubbs could bring him with him or would that just be wishful thinking!

blackpoolhibs
22-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Unlike your good self who I imagine is never wrong about anything. I will leave you to it then - you made me laugh but there is a limit to the time I can spend at this level of intellect. :wink:

No problem, enjoy yourself.

Django
23-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I see Apostolos Vellios has been released by Everton, maybe Stubbs could bring him with him or would that just be wishful thinking!

We can only dream!!!

nribs
23-06-2014, 12:37 PM

A 250k signing for Everton and probs on a hefty wage. I don't thou we will see him at ER unfortunately.

Northernhibee
03-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Stubbs never won Scottish Cup with celtc, probably thinks he can with us :thumbsup:

Visionary!

Waxy
03-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Brilliant looking back on old posts

oneone73
03-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Out of interest, wasn't he on the bench in 2001?

CallumLaidlaw
03-06-2016, 11:33 AM

And he would be right!!!! :greengrin:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Stevie Reid
03-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Out of interest, wasn't he on the bench in 2001?

Not In The Know
03-06-2016, 11:36 AM

s.a.m
03-06-2016, 11:47 AM

:greengrin:top marks

jacomo
03-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Absolute belter.