PDA

View Full Version : Everton fans on Stubbs to Hibs

timewilltell
17-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Everton fans seem pleased!

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/alan-stubbs-to-talk-to-hibernian-about-vacant-managers-job.68029/

SurferRosa
17-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

bingo70
17-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Can't open the link on my phone, what does it say?

Viva_Palmeiras
17-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Time will tell.

SurferRosa
17-06-2014, 10:33 PM

They`re all crossing their fingers and seem desperate for him to take the job.

Spike Mandela
17-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Wonder what he's done to piss them off? .............maybe he told some of them to **** off!:wink:

Gordy M
17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Its a bit bizarre, they want him to leave but then suggest that he takes youngsters on loan, with him?? Not sure what the issue is tbh.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Do Everton fans not dislike him because he supposedly encouraged Rooney to force a move to Man Utd through?

Sure he is reported to have told Rooney to look after himself and go to a bigger club and because he and Rooney shared an agent a lot of Everton fans thought it was a bit dodgy.

Don't think it's anything to do with his coaching ability. Everton have had a fair few good youngsters in recent years and he must have played a part in that.

iwasthere1972
17-06-2014, 10:40 PM
http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/alan-stubbs-to-talk-to-hibernian-about-vacant-managers-job.68029/

:aok:

Onceinawhile
17-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Everyone just needs to calm down, calm down.

Sir David Gray

To summarise, we're probably kinder on here towards Craig Levein and Rudi Skacel than they've been towards Alan Stubbs on that particular thread!

Albion Hibs
seems like yet another cheap / poor choice from hibs, whilst I no nothing about what he has done with a reserve team what makes him any better than simply appointing our own reserve team manager...and we would not do that.

BoltonHibee
17-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Do Everton fans not dislike him because he supposedly encouraged Rooney to force a move to Man Utd through?

Sure he is reported to have told Rooney to look after himself and go to a bigger club and because he and Rooney shared an agent a lot of Everton fans thought it was a bit dodgy.

Don't think it's anything to do with his coaching ability. Everton have had a fair few good youngsters in recent years and he must have played a part in that.

I think you are right. He is very pally with Rooney.

Hibby Kay-Yay
17-06-2014, 10:47 PM
seems like yet another cheap / poor choice from hibs, whilst I no nothing about what he has done with a reserve team what makes him any better than simply appointing our own reserve team manager...and we would not do that.

And our reserve team manager is?

Gatecrasher
17-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Any idea why they hate him so much? It concerns me they would be so happy for him to leave.

SMAXXA
17-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Could it not be argued that he's in charge of the youths at a top premiership team who's possibley been credited with helping the likes of Barkley etc coming through versus well no disrespect but James mcdonagh?

fwiw my mate was down at Everton a few weeks back and said his coaching was really good as was big Duncan ferguson.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Any idea why they hate him so much? It concerns me they would be so happy for him to leave.

See my post above.

It's all to do with his supposed role in Rooneys move away from Everton.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 10:49 PM
And our reserve team manager is?

I was referring to james mcd, in his role with the youth players. Why?

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Could it not be argued that he's in charge of the youths at a top premiership team who's possibley been credited with helping the likes of Barkley etc coming through versus well no disrespect but James mcdonagh?

fwiw my mate was down at Everton a few weeks back and said his coaching was really good as was big Duncan ferguson.

i am more concerned about the reaction of their fans, imagine the situation where james mcd left hibs, I don't think there is any way there would be that kind of reaction. Plus, being blunt we are fighting to get out of the division and I am struggling, albeit I don't know to see what he could realistically bring as a manager.

The_Horde
17-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Think it's possibly because of his defence of Rooney's move to United and also possibly something to do with him being seen as part of Moyes' (who they now hate) back room staff.

J-C
17-06-2014, 10:54 PM
See my post above.

They also mention the old guard, possibly about him being backroom staff under Moyes, they were also delighted to get shot of Moyes IIRC.

Winston Ingram
17-06-2014, 10:55 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2660700/Everton-Hibs-permission-speak-Stubbs-Easter-Road-managers-job.html

SMAXXA
17-06-2014, 10:55 PM
i am more concerned about the reaction of their fans, imagine the situation where james mcd left hibs, I don't think there is any way there would be that kind of reaction. Plus, being blunt we are fighting to get out of the division and I am struggling, albeit I don't know to see what he could realistically bring as a manager.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that as stated above it seems that's for non football or ability reasons the 'hatred' towards him reading that site.

Gatecrasher
17-06-2014, 10:56 PM
See my post above.

Yeah I saw your post just after posting. Is that alone worth them calling him a parasite, the old guard etc though? If he's done good work at Everton then the Rooney thing would be overlooked eventually.

The_Horde
17-06-2014, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that as stated above it seems that's for non football or ability reasons the 'hatred' towards him reading that site.

Yep.

Going by the comments it seems to me like they just want rid of everything Moyes. Talk of them getting someone in to teach the youngsters Martinez's way etc

SMAXXA
17-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Seemingly there's only so much hub caps he can take losing so wants out :wink:

TheFamous1875
17-06-2014, 10:58 PM
I think you are right. He is very pally with Rooney.

Rooney for Lewis Stevenson's testimonial? :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The_Horde
17-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah I saw your post just after posting. Is that alone worth them calling him a parasite, the old guard etc though? If he's done good work at Everton then the Rooney thing would be overlooked eventually.

It seems to me to be an issue that's always been there but overlooked when Moyes was in charge and now that he's gone they're quite happy to get rid of "the old guard" and bring in new staff to suit Everton's new style.

Stevie Reid
17-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Would be an interesting appointment, and one I would welcome should Hibs go down that road.

However, as always, any appointment is a risk - and David Weir was a complete disaster when leaving a similar role at Everton to manage Sheffield United.

Let's see what happens...

TheFamous1875
17-06-2014, 11:57 PM
A Hibby asked them on their forum and some boy explained it quite thoroughly:

Confused Hibee said: ↑
Just out of interest/confusion/worry/paranoia, why do you all hate him so much?

Thanks for any info.

"For a number of reasons, though none of them will probably adversely affect his ability to do a job for Hibs.

He portrays himself as a boyhood Evertonian, yet this has never shone through in his actions. He was Everton captain when a 16 year old Rooney came into the team, and very publicly took Rooney 'under his wing'. Part of this saw Rooney change his agent to Stubbs' agent (Paul Stretford). From then onwards, Stubbs and Stretford were heavily influential in persuading Rooney that he had to leave Everton and go to Man Utd when they came knocking. Before Euro 2004, Stubbs made several public comments in interviews about how, if 'the big clubs came knocking' that Rooney should go. The Everton captain was advising our star player and the best young player of his generation to leave Everton.

A year later, we finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League qualifying round. Stubbs, the Everton captain, was out of contract. Rather than stay to play in the Champions League with his supposed boyhood club, he left for more money, going to Sunderland in a bizarre move. On his way out, he made rather unsavoury allegations about Everton, relating to 'health clauses' and things of that nature, that Everton denied. Stubbs later admitted he was wrong and apologised for his comments. Stubbs lasted 4 months at Sunderland, before Moyes - after a disastrous start to the 2005/06 season saw us flirting with a relegation battle and Moyes' star defender signing Per Kroldrup being a major flop - brought Stubbs back in January 2006.

Stubbs ended up finishing his career with us (well apart from a few months at Derby at the very end), rose up through the backroom staff ranks and has ended up Reserve team manager. He's never been particularly inspiring. The reserves never seem to challenge for the league title. The reserve games that I personally have seen, the team doesn't seem to play particularly great football. Also, similar to the Rooney situation referenced earlier, for a supposed boyhood Evertonian, Stubbs always seems to be putting his foot in it publicly. His most recent faux pas was going on Talksport last year AFTER the transfer window had closed and everything had settled down, saying that Leighton Baines had wanted to go to Man Utd, and that the club had blocked the move. Several months later, Baines completely denied this and said he never wanted to leave Everton or had any intention of leaving.

Basically Stubbs is a big mouth, doesn't think before speaking, the comments he makes are of a questionable nature as it relates to the truth, he has a propensity for making damaging comments that hurt the club, has never really been universally liked by the fans (he was seen as a bit of an old-school yard-dog defender as a player) and his actual ability as a coach is questionable.

Other than that, I'm sure he'll be fine for you."

hibeesjoe
18-06-2014, 03:31 AM
Hardly fills me with excitement. Hope it's all just paper talk. The evertons fans view that the reserves are never challenging for the title, he's not inspiring and they don't seem too play particularly great football says it all. Although on the other hand it's one fans view and Stubbs might be a huge success if he came to easter road.

Unseen work
18-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Thought this could be a not bad idea when I first read it

However giving the fans comments about the reserve side not playing great football and not challenging a great deal it doesn't fill you with confidence

Viva_Palmeiras
18-06-2014, 04:21 AM
Hardly fills me with excitement. Hope it's all just paper talk. The evertons fans view that the reserves are never challenging for the title, he's not inspiring and they don't seem too play particularly great football says it all. Although on the other hand it's one fans view and Stubbs might be a huge success if he came to easter road.

Ah the "Underwhelmed" variation?

"i hope I'm wrong" ;)

Another bingo card entry crossed off.

Ill be be glad when this is all over.

Stonewall
18-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Thought this could be a not bad idea when I first read it

However giving the fans comments about the reserve side not playing great football and not challenging a great deal it doesn't fill you with confidence

I'd be more worried if the reserve team wasn't producing players for the first team.

Michael
18-06-2014, 05:45 AM
I'd be more worried if the reserve team wasn't producing players for the first team.

On phone so I accidently reported your post instead of reply!

But I was saying that I'd take players of Rooney, Barkley and Osman etc's standard if he helped produce them.

Unseen work
18-06-2014, 06:28 AM

Very true. And they do have some good youth players.

One I would love to see us get is Connor mcaleny, he's a striker who is very calm and composed on the ball, just passed the ball in the net. Very rip riordan like and has a swagger to his game

Hibernia Na Eir
18-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Stubbed my toe reading this earlier this morning.....

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-06-2014, 07:30 AM
I was referring to james mcd, in his role with the youth players. Why?

I asked as I didn't know who you were talking about :wink:

jacomo
18-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Rooney for Lewis Stevenson's testimonial? :P

Rooney for Hibs. He needs a new challenge.

Brightside
18-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Stubbs deal agreed i'm told. Not the one for me...but hopefully he'll surprise me.

Bronson
18-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks for any info.

"For a number of reasons, though none of them will probably adversely affect his ability to do a job for Hibs.

He portrays himself as a boyhood Evertonian, yet this has never shone through in his actions. He was Everton captain when a 16 year old Rooney came into the team, and very publicly took Rooney 'under his wing'. Part of this saw Rooney change his agent to Stubbs' agent (Paul Stretford). From then onwards, Stubbs and Stretford were heavily influential in persuading Rooney that he had to leave Everton and go to Man Utd when they came knocking. Before Euro 2004, Stubbs made several public comments in interviews about how, if 'the big clubs came knocking' that Rooney should go. The Everton captain was advising our star player and the best young player of his generation to leave Everton.

A year later, we finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League qualifying round. Stubbs, the Everton captain, was out of contract. Rather than stay to play in the Champions League with his supposed boyhood club, he left for more money, going to Sunderland in a bizarre move. On his way out, he made rather unsavoury allegations about Everton, relating to 'health clauses' and things of that nature, that Everton denied. Stubbs later admitted he was wrong and apologised for his comments. Stubbs lasted 4 months at Sunderland, before Moyes - after a disastrous start to the 2005/06 season saw us flirting with a relegation battle and Moyes' star defender signing Per Kroldrup being a major flop - brought Stubbs back in January 2006.

Stubbs ended up finishing his career with us (well apart from a few months at Derby at the very end), rose up through the backroom staff ranks and has ended up Reserve team manager. He's never been particularly inspiring. The reserves never seem to challenge for the league title. The reserve games that I personally have seen, the team doesn't seem to play particularly great football. Also, similar to the Rooney situation referenced earlier, for a supposed boyhood Evertonian, Stubbs always seems to be putting his foot in it publicly. His most recent faux pas was going on Talksport last year AFTER the transfer window had closed and everything had settled down, saying that Leighton Baines had wanted to go to Man Utd, and that the club had blocked the move. Several months later, Baines completely denied this and said he never wanted to leave Everton or had any intention of leaving.

Basically Stubbs is a big mouth, doesn't think before speaking, the comments he makes are of a questionable nature as it relates to the truth, he has a propensity for making damaging comments that hurt the club, has never really been universally liked by the fans (he was seen as a bit of an old-school yard-dog defender as a player) and his actual ability as a coach is questionable.

I feel slightly better that they just don't like him as a guy and they're not desperate to see the back of him because he's a disaster of a coach.

I can handle us hiring a total welt if we get results.

Dan Sarf
18-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Thanks for any info.

Well that's a relief. For a monent there I thought there might be something wrong with him.

Deeklipse
18-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Rooney for Hibs. He needs a new challenge.

I heard the deal hinges on Liam Craig giving up the number 10 shirt. Also not sure we could accommodate him in the middle?

Keith_M
18-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Everton fans seem pleased!

Now a Link..............

Smartie
18-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Not remotely concerned about the reserve team stuff. The purpose of a reserve team isn't to play silky football and win trophies - it's to get players ready to play in the first team. Everton have been a club who have punched above their weight for a few years and had a few very good players come through to the first team so this wouldn't concern me.

I'd be far more concerned about all the other stuff that their fans say. Our fans seem to hang on our manager's every word - imagine our manager was hawking our players to the old firm because they couldn't go any further here? This place would be up in arms.

A bigmouth who doesn't think before speaking would get pretty short shrift from Hibs fans imo.

I'm a bit wary.

CallumLaidlaw
18-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Not remotely concerned about the reserve team stuff. The purpose of a reserve team isn't to play silky football and win trophies - it's to get players ready to play in the first team. Everton have been a club who have punched above their weight for a few years and had a few very good players come through to the first team so this wouldn't concern me.

I'd be far more concerned about all the other stuff that their fans say. Our fans seem to hang on our manager's every word - imagine our manager was hawking our players to the old firm because they couldn't go any further here? This place would be up in arms.

A bigmouth who doesn't think before speaking would get pretty short shrift from Hibs fans imo.

I'm a bit wary.

I'm not quite sure he would be doing the same if he was rooneys manager.

J-C
18-06-2014, 01:07 PM
So basically he's Everton's version of Kenny Shiels, pretty decent coach but can't keep his gob shut when he should know better.

The_Horde
18-06-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm not quite sure he would be doing the same if he was rooneys manager.

He wasn't though he was a fellow player and pal.

I'm sure Rooney had already decided to go and Everton clearly needed the money. He's done his mate a favour, if he'd let Wayne leave himself he'd likely have been lynched by the angry Everton mob.

JimBHibees
18-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Laughable that he is being blamed for Wayne Rooney leaving to go to Man U. Quite staggering assumptions into all that as if he would be anywhere near making any decision. Guilty by association massively. Seem hugely bitter about a guy who in the little I saw of him seemed to play very well for Everton over a good number of years.

No idea of his coaching credentials however know Duncan Ferguson is very highly though of coaching wise. Will give him a chance however from what I remember not the best communicator in the world and the Weir comparison would be a worry though don't think Weir had the coaching experience that Stubbs has.

JimBHibees
18-06-2014, 01:26 PM
;4067466']He wasn't though he was a fellow player and pal.

I'm sure Rooney had already decided to go and Everton clearly needed the money. He's done his mate a favour, if he'd let Wayne leave himself he'd likely have been lynched by the angry Everton mob.

Indeed the over reaction on that site is laughable.

Dublin07
18-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Stubbs part in the Rooney transfer was no where near as bad as how Thomson or Murray acted when leaving hibs for the dark side and we welcomed both back with open arms. Have facebooked one of my Everton mates for his assessment of him as a coach.

Hibs90
18-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Everton fans quite bitter about Rooney leaving eh? Reckon they should get over it ffs :greengrin

Squealing pig
18-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Stepping stone for Celtic job?

erin go bragh
18-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Stubbs doesnt inspire me but Mowbray didnt either when he was announced . But when Mowbray started talking about how he wanted us to play . I was won over . So if its Stubbs , ill hold fire till he tells us his intentions . Then we will see if he can walk the walk .

Ggtth

davidw
18-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks for any info.

I was that Confused Hibee. Now I am Terrified Hibee.

Greenblood70
18-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm sure Jamie carragher made some less than flattering remarks about Stubbs in his book along the lines of him being a gob*****.

On the face of it seems a strange appointment in our current mess, it's not a job for a novice manager in my opinion. I'll be surprised if it is him, although the rumours seem pretty strong.

If he comes in and says he wants to play passing, attacking football, bringing thru the youngsters he'll do for me. By the law of averages we surely have to appoint someone decent eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monktonharp
19-06-2014, 01:54 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2660700/Everton-Hibs-permission-speak-Stubbs-Easter-Road-managers-job.htmlnot for me. too shifty eyed if I'm honest

monktonharp
19-06-2014, 02:03 AM
I'm sure Jamie carragher made some less than flattering remarks about Stubbs in his book along the lines of him being a gob*****.

On the face of it seems a strange appointment in our current mess, it's not a job for a novice manager in my opinion. I'll be surprised if it is him, although the rumours seem pretty strong.

If he comes in and says he wants to play passing, attacking football, bringing thru the youngsters he'll do for me. By the law of averages we surely have to appoint someone decent eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkthe problem being: is he someone decent. the majority of toffies fans want rid, they are none pleased about his previous re-Rooney . I don't really care too much about that but what has he done? in managerial terms we need someone(Venus) that has been places/done things. a bit like billy broon if you like:wink: I,m almost at the stage that it wont matter anymore. we are, again floundering at the start of a season and for this most important of seasons, I am worried.if we have an untried manager, I am very worried.

hibby67
21-06-2014, 11:00 PM
After reading the thread on the everton Web site he is getting some aduse more to do with the Rooney incident rather than his ability. But with all that abuse he should feel right at home on hibs. net if some of the comments on here are to go by

Steve-O
22-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamie Carragher is a massive dickhead though so I wouldn't read too much into that.

offshorehibby
22-06-2014, 07:09 AM
All the slagging he's getting from the Everton fans are nowt to do with his coaching ability, more to do with Rooney. He would not be my pick but i know nowt as i thought Butcher would do a job.
He's still got my 100% backing if he's the man so.

CallumLaidlaw
22-06-2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/star-pupil-alan-stubbs-shine-3741536

CRAZYHIBBY
22-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Didn't have a good feeling about this appointment but as a someone said to Me in another thread. . Maybe that's a good thing

hibeesjoe
22-06-2014, 09:45 AM
I wasn't keen, but after reading a couple of paper articles from people that know Stubbs the ideas growing on me. Saying that, I was over the moon when Butcher got the gig haha. Good luck though Alan, hope your the man too take us forward.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2014, 10:04 AM
After reading the thread on the everton Web site he is getting some aduse more to do with the Rooney incident rather than his ability. But with all that abuse he should feel right at home on hibs. net if some of the comments on here are to go by

Don't listen to the "Bitters" they still haven't got over missing out on Europe after Heysel!

ekhibee
22-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I really can't make my mind up about Stubbs as far as a managerial appointment is concerned. The Everton fans didn't just hate him because of the Rooney thing, or the comments he made about Leighton Baines, there was serious accusations he made about the club which he later retracted and apologized for, but I can totally understand why a lot of Everton fans have quite strong opinions about him. His coaching role at the youth set-up hasn't exactly set the heather on fire, and the coach before him, Sheedy, brought a lot of good young players through at Everton, whereas under Stubbs they've just been mid-table.
There have been some comparisons with the Mowbray appointment, but if you read the Ipswich forum they have nothing but the highest respect for Mowbray while he was coaching there, it's a very different opinion from the one Everton fans have of Stubbs. That said, he could be a good appointment if he's got decent contacts in the game down south, and there's always the possibility that as a new manager he can hit the ground running with players that might not be household names to us but might turn out to be good players for us. I just don't know, but I do think it would be a gamble, as opposed to somebody tried and tested who could give us a consistent run of form in terms of results.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I really can't make my mind up about Stubbs as far as a managerial appointment is concerned. The Everton fans didn't just hate him because of the Rooney thing, or the comments he made about Leighton Baines, there was serious accusations he made about the club which he later retracted and apologized for, but I can totally understand why a lot of Everton fans have quite strong opinions about him. His coaching role at the youth set-up hasn't exactly set the heather on fire, and the coach before him, Sheedy, brought a lot of good young players through at Everton, whereas under Stubbs they've just been mid-table.
There have been some comparisons with the Mowbray appointment, but if you read the Ipswich forum they have nothing but the highest respect for Mowbray while he was coaching there, it's a very different opinion from the one Everton fans have of Stubbs. That said, he could be a good appointment if he's got decent contacts in the game down south, and there's always the possibility that as a new manager he can hit the ground running with players that might not be household names to us but might turn out to be good players for us. I just don't know, but I do think it would be a gamble, as opposed to somebody tried and tested who could give us a consistent run of form in terms of results.

We tried that just recently.

The_Horde
22-06-2014, 01:33 PM

It's very different times for Everton now though.

They have good young players like Barkley, Stones and Rodwell (who left to man city)

Everton have more money to play with these days and seem to be in the market of picking up young promising players like Mirallas for decent money and playing them pretty much instantly.

I think they've done well to produce the likes of Barkley, Stones and Rodwell at the same time as competing at the top end of the league.

offshorehibby
22-06-2014, 01:53 PM

I've said else where, all the slagging Stubbs seems to get from Everton fans is personal, they don't like him. I've not read anywhere that is coaching or managerial style is pish.
I don't care how much the everton fans hate him, if he comes to Hibs and does well that'll do for me.

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Nice to see that nobody on the Everton forum is dissing Hibs as a club .. seems to be a wee bit of a soft spot for us in fact.

Having said that they certainly don't exactly have a love in for Alan Stubbs .... mostly for non football reasons, but they don't seem to think he will be any great loss as a coach either which is a bit of a worry.

No way of telling if the Rooney stuff is true or not, but if it is I can see why the Everton fans would have been peed off with him.

Ach weel ......... Clean slate at ER and all that.

Paisley Hibby
23-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I've said else where, all the slagging Stubbs seems to get from Everton fans is personal, they don't like him. I've not read anywhere that is coaching or managerial style is pish.
I don't care how much the everton fans hate him, if he comes to Hibs and does well that'll do for me.

True, it's mostly that kind of stuff but not totally. There were also several comments about old fashioned training methods and not having a clue.

That sounds worryingly familiar...