Hibiza
17-06-2014, 01:28 PM
C'mon Ian. Step up to it.

Sean1875
17-06-2014, 01:29 PM
no thank you, not yet.

Lago
17-06-2014, 01:33 PM
No not for me, we have been here before with the hibbie connection, Mixu failed, Yogi failed, Murray would be a re run, would end in tears.

Hibiza
17-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Not this guy.

Aaron
17-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Maybe in a few years but not now

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
17-06-2014, 03:02 PM
No thanks.

Franck Stanton
17-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Think it is too soon for him, plus the fact we are in such a mess it is going to be a big task not only re-building the team but also The Club as a whole. Would gladly accept Ian Murray as assistant however , with an experienced Mowbray/McLeish as Manager and in the fullness of time could step up as Manager in his own right.

Dave-O
17-06-2014, 03:31 PM
No from me, too soon for nid, one day but not just now.

TheFamous1875
17-06-2014, 03:38 PM
If this weren't ground zero for Hibs, he'd maybe be worth the risk. However, the fact that we have such a depleted squad, have been relegated and are revamping the club from top to bottom all in one pre-season, I think it'd be unfair on Ian to take a job of this magnitude at this time in his career. I feel Mark Venus would've much more know-how in his locker having been coaching for the last decade at a high level to take on a job as important as this (and at that, Venus himself is still a risk having never been a #1).

Ian Murray would do very well to achieve (more) great things with Dumbarton, and then based on further successes he should be strongly considered for the job at Easter Road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lord bunberry
17-06-2014, 03:49 PM
No not for me, we have been here before with the hibbie connection, Mixu failed, Yogi failed, Murray would be a re run, would end in tears.

I don't see how Murray's ability as a manager would be effected by previous failures, if he's the best man for the job then he should get it. We certainly shouldn't be basing our decision on the new manager on what has happened in the past.

SuperAllyMcleod
17-06-2014, 04:01 PM
If this weren't ground zero for Hibs, he'd maybe be worth the risk. However, the fact that we have such a depleted squad, have been relegated and are revamping the club from top to bottom all in one pre-season, I think it'd be unfair on Ian to take a job of this magnitude at this time in his career. I feel Mark Venus would've much more know-how in his locker having been coaching for the last decade at a high level to take on a job as important as this (and at that, Venus himself is still a risk having never been a #1).

Ian Murray would do very well to achieve (more) great things with Dumbarton, and then based on further successes he should be strongly considered for the job at Easter Road.

Of course, achieving more with Dumbarton may be to the detriment of Hibs. What if he were to get them promoted this year?

nribs
17-06-2014, 04:11 PM
If we don't go for Murray now is there not a chance he may be to big for Hibs the next time we are hiring?

jacomo
17-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Mark Venus is more of a risk than Ian Murray, IMO. Being an assistant is very different to being the main man, and at least Nid has had a taste of that.

TheFamous1875
17-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Of course, achieving more with Dumbarton may be to the detriment of Hibs. What if he were to get them promoted this year?

If we don't go for Murray now is there not a chance he may be to big for Hibs the next time we are hiring?

Then that would only be a good thing in the long term. If he went on to prove himself to be a fantastic manager, who's to say he wouldn't wind up his managerial career at the club that gave him his career? Or at the, he ended up at Hibs' level and had lots of experience at a high level behind him?

Our clubs interests can't be pinned on any one man. Ideally, he'd do really well at Dumbarton or somewhere bigger and get moved to Hibs in a few years, and then go on to have a very good career at a high level and possibly come back to Hibs in some capacity over the years. I hope he does well.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Exactly. All this talk of his age is nonsense if you ask me, people can't seriously think it he was 2 years older that would make all difference. I would rather take someone experienced at being a manager in the division we are in, and being very successful, based over someone who has no experience as a manager and has no exposure or track record in this division.

DH1875
17-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Mark Venus is more of a risk than Ian Murray, IMO. Being an assistant is very different to being the main man, and at least Nid has had a taste of that.

This. While I'm not sure Murray is the man, Venus would be the much bigger gamble IMO.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-06-2014, 04:54 PM
He's too busy helping the yams to keep cheating!

:duck:

Bleeds green
17-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Give him it and the fans cut some slack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
17-06-2014, 06:14 PM
To be honest I simply don't know who would be a success as Hibs next manager. Aren't all managerial appointments in this game a bit of a gamble? Most ultimately end in failure do they not?

What I also don't understand is why Mark Venus has become "the bookies favourite". Why? What has he done as a manager in his own right?

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Would we be considereing at or be even happy if Hibs were considering looking at Dumbarton's manager if he wasn't Ian Murray?

It's a "I hope not" from me

nribs
17-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Would we be considereing at or be even happy if Hibs were considering looking at Dumbarton's manager if he wasn't Ian Murray?

I would. I would be happy had we been considering Paul Hartley had he not got the Dundee gig.

lord bunberry
17-06-2014, 06:31 PM

If he was the best man for the job and impressed in his interview then yes. It's not just about the fact that he's Dumbarton manager, it's about him being what were looking for right now. The fact that he knows the club so well is a bonus at this particular time imo. I appreciate that others might not think the same.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I would. I would be happy had we been considering Paul Hartley had he not got the Dundee gig.

Oh yeah another Hibby old boy.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:36 PM
If he was the best man for the job and impressed in his interview then yes. It's not just about the fact that he's Dumbarton manager, it's about him being what were looking for right now. The fact that he knows the club so well is a bonus at this particular time imo. I appreciate that others might not think the same.

We would never know if he impressed in his interview, I'm talking about the mention of Hibs being linked with a Manager with little experience apart from Dumbarton and not a Hibee, you know as well as I do the vast majority on here would dismiss it out of hand and rightly so.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 06:45 PM
We would never know if he impressed in his interview, I'm talking about the mention of Hibs being linked with a Manager with little experience apart from Dumbarton and not a Hibee, you know as well as I do the vast majority on here would dismiss it out of hand and rightly so.

I don't believe such an ill considered dismiss would be the case. We are essentially talking about a successful manager, that understands the league and can deliver on a budget. Those are the facts without adding the hibs background, all that essentially adds is the fact he understands the club, it's importance, and perhaps even it's weaknesses without having to spend months we don't have trying to figure it out. What realistic candidate do you think can offer this, and of course other attributes that would make them a better option?

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't believe such an ill considered dismiss would be the case. We are essentially talking about a successful manager, that understands the league and can deliver on a budget. Those are the facts without adding the hibs background, all that essentially adds is the fact he understands the club, it's importance, and perhaps even it's weaknesses without having to spend months we don't have trying to figure it out. What realistic candidate do you think can offer this, and of course other attributes that would make them a better option?

That's it then, Murray's the only man for the job!

silverhibee
17-06-2014, 06:49 PM
If Murray was getting the job he would be in the door by now.

I would go even further and say Dempster won't pick anyone with a Hibs connection for the job, i know who my money is on.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:50 PM

I would go even further and say Dempster won't pick anyone with a Hibs connection for the job, i know who my money is on.

I hope you're right SH I really do.

Velma Dinkley
17-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Ian Murray has done a fantastic job at a part time club that competes in the league we are now in. They were heading for relegation before he took over. Why would people not even consider him as an option?

nribs
17-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah another Hibby old boy.

Yeah he played for Hibs what's your point?

nribs
17-06-2014, 06:53 PM

I would go even further and say Dempster won't pick anyone with a Hibs connection for the job, i know who my money is on.just for the avoidance of doubt I am not desperate for Ian Murray to get the job. I wouldn't be against him gettin the job however.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 06:53 PM
That's it then, Murray's the only man for the job!

Do you really not have an alternative suggestion? Don't tell me you are one of those people that likes to have a pop at other peoples opinions without being able to offer anything in debate...who would have thought it!

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah he played for Hibs what's your point?

What I said :confused:

nribs
17-06-2014, 06:57 PM
What I said :confused:

Ok then he played for hibs can't argue that point.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Do you really not have an alternative suggestion? Don't tell me you are one of those people that likes to have a pop at other peoples opinions without being able to offer anything in debate...who would have thought it!,

I have plenty of suggestions of who I'd like to manage Hibs of course I do just thought it pretty pointless to quote a list that is already out there! But seeing as you asked I would prefer Stuart McCall and I think we have a chance of getting him.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:01 PM

I have plenty of suggestions of who I'd like to manage Hibs of course I do just thought it pretty pointless to quote a list that is already out there! But seeing as you asked I would prefer Stuart McCall and I think we have a chance of getting him.

Why do you think that? Did he not state he was not interested in hibs when we were in the spl? Why do you think being in the championship, with a non existent squad and having no real financial backing make him so interested all of a sudden?

nribs
17-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Would be happy to have him at ER I'm sure if he was coming he wouldn't be resigning guys like Ainsworth though

silverhibee
17-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Ian Murray has done a fantastic job at a part time club that competes in the league we are now in. They were heading for relegation before he took over. Why would people not even consider him as an option?

Should we consider Barry Smith, done a good job keeping Alloa in that league.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Would be happy to have him at ER I'm sure if he was coming he wouldn't be resigning guys like Ainsworth though

I get you point mate but a few weeks ago we were saying Butcher would never be allowed to release the players if he was going to be sacked himself.

silverhibee
17-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Why do you think that? Did he not state he was not interested in hibs when we were in the spl? Why do you think being in the championship, with a non existent squad and having no real financial backing make him so interested all of a sudden?

Heard this a few times now, anyone got a link to what he say's about not being interested in Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2014, 07:09 PM

I think the prospect of working with LD again in a club with a superior infrastructure and massive potential maybe enough to convince him, seeing what he has achieved at Motherwell on similar if not tighter constraints may be enough to convince him of greater things for Hibs. Only my thoughts and maybe a tad optimistic but hey ho I can dream.

Velma Dinkley
17-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Maybe, but how good a job was finishing joint second bottom?

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I think the prospect of working with LD again in a club with a superior infrastructure and massive potential maybe enough to convince him, seeing what he has achieved at Motherwell on similar if not tighter constraints may be enough to convince him of greater things for Hibs. Only my thoughts and maybe a tad optimistic but hey ho I can dream.

fair do's, your opinion as you say. But I am of the view that hibs are a big step down for him regardless of who appears to now be in charge. I think the constraints at hibs next year will be far tighter and if anything I saw him holding tight and moving to rangers when they came up, or a bigger offer from down south-lomas, coyle et al.

lord bunberry
17-06-2014, 07:13 PM

That would depend on who the manager was, if for example it was a former Scotland internationalist who had played at a high level, but not for hibs, then I don't think it would be dismissed out of hand.

weonlywon6-2
17-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I think if it was murray we would have known by now

Dave-O
17-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I think if it was murray we would have known by now

Agreed mate, I think it's a red hairring. :wink:

nribs
17-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Bit different though. Smith didn't manage a club after being sacked by Dundee until his appointment at Alloa. With Alloa he has a 18% win rate. Not sure how that compares with Hartley with Alloa in the same division?

iwasthere1972
17-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Give the guy another season or two before inviting him to Hibs and untimately sacking him.

Yes he's done well at Dumbarton but I think we need someone with a bit more experience to get us out of the Championship at first time of asking.

Maybe Ian Murray for the future unless of course The Rangers get in before us.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Bit different though. Smith didn't manage a club after being sacked by Dundee until his appointment at Alloa. With Alloa he has a 18% win rate. Not sure how that compares with Hartley with Alloa in the same division?

Did alloa not drop like a stone in the league after he took over...ironically (on many fronts) after Hartley jumped ship on the back of his 5-1 beasting by dumbarton...

gillythehibby
17-06-2014, 07:29 PM

We'd be better wi Barry Chuckle. On a serious note, the Hibs job too big for Murray at this time but his time may come.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:33 PM
We'd be better wi Barry Chuckle. On a serious note, the Hibs job too big for Murray at this time but his time may come.

This word has started popping up all of the time...people do realise who we are don't they?! The use of this word is beaten only by them and their constant "big team" nonsense. IMO we have a massively overinflated opinion of who we are and what size of club we are.

Callum_62
17-06-2014, 07:34 PM

I would go even further and say Dempster won't pick anyone with a Hibs connection for the job,i know who my money is on.

Can I ask who?

Callum_62
17-06-2014, 07:35 PM
This word has started popping up all of the time...people do realise who we are don't they?! The use of this word is beaten only by them and their constant "big team" nonsense. IMO we have a massively overinflated opinion of who we are and what size of club we are.

Comparitively to everyone in our legue, bar Hearts and Rangers - we are a massive club

in Scottish terms we are a big club

A big unsuccessful club, but a big club all the same

Stax
17-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Oohyah, that sounds sair :greengrin

silverhibee
17-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Maybe, but how good a job was finishing joint second bottom?

Considering they finished above a full time club in that league who were paying players over £1000p/w i would say quite a good job and lets be clear they finished 3rd bottom 2 places below Dumbarton.

joe breezy
17-06-2014, 07:38 PM
To be honest I simply don't know who would be a success as Hibs next manager. Aren't all managerial appointments in this game a bit of a gamble? Most ultimately end in failure do they not?

What I also don't understand is why Mark Venus has become "the bookies favourite". Why? What has he done as a manager in his own right?

You become bookies favourite when someone puts a lot of money on it. That is all.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Comparitively to everyone in our legue, bar Hearts and Rangers - we are a massive club

in Scottish terms we are a big club

A big unsuccessful club, but a big club all the same

in scottish terms there are only two big clubs, rangers and Celtic. Out with that there are clubs with bigger stadiums. We are a club with a big stadium that has not achieved anything for a large number of years. The big stuff is in our very distant past.

Joe6-2
17-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Alex Mcleish! :-)

Callum_62
17-06-2014, 07:42 PM
in scottish terms there are only two big clubs, rangers and Celtic. Out with that there are clubs with bigger stadiums. We are a club with a big stadium that has not achieved anything for a large number of years. The big stuff is in our very distant past.

being successful is not the measure of a 'big club'

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 07:44 PM
being successful is not the measure of a 'big club'

What is then?

Callum_62
17-06-2014, 08:30 PM
What is then?

um, there size?

these often go hand in hand - but not always

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 08:33 PM
um, there size?

these often go hand in hand - but not always

Um...what as in size of crowd, global support? Not to sure which box we tick here?

Up The Bracket
17-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Hibs fans are amazing sometimes.

Calling for a man who failed to bring in one good signing in 2 transfer windows last time he was here.

Calling for a man who's only managerial experience is with Scotland U17's.

However, a man who took over Dumbarton in November where they had a total of 5 points, and in December were 17 points adrift at the bottom of the table, kept them up and lead them to a respectable league position, then built on it the following season achieving Dumbarton's highest ever league position, as they finished just outside the play-off's as well as a run to the Scottish Cup Quarter Final, the highest for Dumbarton in generations, is not ready for the job.

Ian Murray knows what the fans expect, knows what the club is all about, and he'd know what the derby is all about, he'd make sure to hell that we're not walked over like we have been this season.

I really don't get where anyone is coming from in saying he's a gamble, there is not one realistic candidate that is not a gamble. Tony Mowbray was a huge gamble.

If Ian Murray isn't given the Hibs job I'd be dissappointed.

lord bunberry
17-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Um...what as in size of crowd, global support? Not to sure which box we tick here?

Support, size of stadium, history, amount we can afford to pay a player, training facilities, potential and the most important sporting success. If you add all these things together we are a big club in scotland.

Velma Dinkley
17-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Considering they finished above a full time club in that league who were paying players over £1000p/w i would say quite a good job and lets be clear they finished 3rd bottom 2 places below Dumbarton.

Every club in the league finished above the team that finished bottom :greengrin Dumbarton did much better than Alloa last year, though, didn't they? They had a very impressive season in the end.

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Support, size of stadium, history, amount we can afford to pay a player, training facilities, potential and the most important sporting success. If you add all these things together we are a big club in scotland.

Interesting. I guess if you include every single club in Scotland maybe, the spl then no. We have a hugely over inflated view of hibs, and IMO it is one of the biggest problems at the club and amongst our support. We are no more a big team than that mob across the city...and remember they have 400,000 fans!

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Hibs fans are amazing sometimes.

Calling for a man who failed to bring in one good signing in 2 transfer windows last time he was here.

Calling for a man who's only managerial experience is with Scotland U17's.

However, a man who took over Dumbarton in November where they had a total of 5 points, and in December were 17 points adrift at the bottom of the table, kept them up and lead them to a respectable league position, then built on it the following season achieving Dumbarton's highest ever league position, as they finished just outside the play-off's as well as a run to the Scottish Cup Quarter Final, the highest for Dumbarton in generations, is not ready for the job.

Ian Murray knows what the fans expect, knows what the club is all about, and he'd know what the derby is all about, he'd make sure to hell that we're not walked over like we have been this season.

I really don't get where anyone is coming from in saying he's a gamble, there is not one realistic candidate that is not a gamble. Tony Mowbray was a huge gamble.

If Ian Murray isn't given the Hibs job I'd be dissappointed.

:top marks. This.

Callum_62
17-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Interesting. I guess if you include every single club in Scotland maybe, the spl then no. We have a hugely over inflated view of hibs, and IMO it is one of the biggest problems at the club and amongst our support. We are no more a big team than that mob across the city...and remember they have 400,000 fans!

Hearts are also a big team in Scottish terms

Albion Hibs
17-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Hearts are also a big team in Scottish terms

Which I guess means aberdeen, Dundee Utd, are also on that list, potentially with Dundee, Motherwell etc...racking up a fair list. My point remains, we need to face facts, other than have a bigger (and on percentage terms perhaps a more empty stadium) and a training ground I can see good reason why almost all of those clubs would consider themselves bigger than us and perhaps justifiably so. I don't think we will agree on this.