PDA

View Full Version : Leanne Dempster - Hibs players to get 2nd chance

timewilltell
15-06-2014, 10:32 PM
HIBS are ready to give a fresh chance to the under-contract exiles who saw them relegated.

The Easter Road side appeared to empty their entire senior squad in the wake of their play-off capitulation to Hamilton, telling even those with deals they were free to find other clubs.

However, following Terry Butcher’s sacking, chief executive Leeann Dempster has now told those players, including club captain Liam Craig, they are expected to report back for pre-season training at East Mains on June 23.

Whoever is appointed as their new boss will then assess which of them he does or doesn’t want and negotiations will move on from there.

Dempster said: “Our position with all the players who are in contract is that we have asked them to report back for pre-season training.

“When the new person comes in he will have discussions with players who are already here. There may be discussions to have in terms of the players themselves, what their aspirations might be, but our position at the minute is that any player who is under contract will be expected back.

“We have relayed that to their agents. It might be that one or two players come back and say, ‘Let’s be honest, I want to further my career, maybe the Championship isn’t the place to be’.

“You could make a strong argument against that this year in terms of the teams involved but that’s normal.”

The Hibs website lists the likes of Craig, Scott Robertson, Michael Nelson, Paul Heffernan, Ryan McGivern and Owain Tudur Jones alongside talented kids such as Sam Stanton and Jason Cummings in their squad for the season ahead.

However MailSport understands some of those players were under the impression they were free to find themselves new clubs.

Dempster said: “I wasn’t in the room at that particular point. They are under contract at the minute, we want them all back.

“We know James Collins has left. That was mutually agreed. But we need to start focusing on a good pre-season and get games planned into the diary so we can actually play.

“There are key positions that I think we all know. There are no goalkeepers, for example, so that’s an area we need to get moving on.”

Scout Steve Marsella has already targeted some players and Dempster added: “The new manager will come in, consider some of that work and decide if they are on the list or not. I don’t think it would make sense to recruit before then.”

Dempster admits the off-field issues gripping the Easter Road support aren’t helping in terms of stability either.

Club captain Liam Craig is expected for pre season training on June 23
The campaign to oust Rod Petrie as chairman is gaining traction but the chief exec is convinced the fixtures being announced in midweek will focus the fans back on the football.

She said: “In terms of where we are, it would be ideal to sell more season tickets, there is no doubt about that.

“Are we on a par with where we were at this time last year? No. But I think some are maybe sitting back and waiting to see what players are going to be coming in and that happens at the club.

“They want to see who the manager is going to be and then they will make an assessment. That is absolutely right.

“You can’t force people to buy season tickets but there is still a really strong, healthy number in there. Many fans bought early and it’s now down to us to try to get that number up.

“It’s when they see fixtures, that’s when we can start to talk about football again. The problem is that the past couple of weeks have been a complete vacuum and that doesn’t allow people to focus.

“But there will be a fixture list soon and we can see when certain games are, there will be a new manager announced soon, players coming in, and then, all of a sudden, supporters go, ‘Oh, I must get my season ticket’.

“Last week was difficult but I met the supporters’ groups and if they weren’t as passionate as they were, then you have something to worry about.

“I tried to be honest with them and I have to demonstrate that what I say is actually going to happen.”

FROM AROUND THE WEB:

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Is this hearsay, made up rubbish or fact?

iwasthere1972
15-06-2014, 10:38 PM
If it is fact then I would have expected it to be on the official Hibs website.

Mind you it's been a strange week on here.

timewilltell
15-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Mondays Daily Record... Make your own mind up. :dunno::dunno:

HibeesLA
15-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Mondays Daily Record... Make your own mind up. :dunno::dunno:

It helps to quote the source, especially when it is copyrighted work.

timewilltell
15-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Ok thanks, will do in future.:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
15-06-2014, 10:43 PM
If these words are meant to have come from Leanne Dempster then I would doubt that it is fact. She's a bit more articulate going by her statements since coming to the club.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-06-2014, 10:44 PM
It was in The Sunday Mail this morning.

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 10:46 PM

From today's Sunday Mail.

SteveHFC
15-06-2014, 10:47 PM
So McGivern and Nelson could both be staying

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/joe-girardi.gif

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 10:47 PM
If these words are meant to have come from Leanne Dempster then I would doubt that it is fact. She's a bit more articulate going by her statements since coming to the club.

Here is the story.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-chief-dempster-insists-hibee-3698068

iwasthere1972
15-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Here is the story.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-chief-dempster-insists-hibee-3698068

Cheers. :aok:

Interesting times ahead.

Steven_Hibs
15-06-2014, 11:37 PM
That is pathetic, really is! Second chance? They've had about 20 chances since the turn of the year. They're murder. Guys like Craig, Robertson, McGivern, Nelson, Stevenson, and the rest of the absolute gash should be nowhere near East Mains for pre-season training. I for one won't be back, they never tried a leg. The games a bogey if these impostors are part of the squad next season. Bloody joke

Spike Mandela
15-06-2014, 11:45 PM
That is pathetic, really is! Second chance? They've had about 20 chances since the turn of the year. They're murder. Guys like Craig, Robertson, McGivern, Nelson, Stevenson, and the rest of the absolute gash should be nowhere near East Mains for pre-season training. I for one won't be back, they never tried a leg. The games a bogey if these impostors are part of the squad next season. Bloody joke

Hopefully the new manager is fully up to speed on Scottish football last season and won't take long to ditch the guys that we all know offer us nothing.

steakbake
15-06-2014, 11:45 PM
What a shambles of a club. Complete and utter shambles. And that's before you get on to discussing whether some of these deserve a second chance.

If LD is revoking the decision then who made it in the first place and why?

Baader
15-06-2014, 11:50 PM
What the hell is going on? Players getting emptied, no manager yet some supposedly told they're staying? Surely not.

Hardly a second chance - each game was a chance. Wasn't just the Hamilton game at ER these duds failed us...

Surely its a case of 'you're under contract, once a manager is in place he'll decide whether youre kept or 'sold... '

Peevemor
15-06-2014, 11:53 PM
I don't see what's new or surprising about this. My understanding was that certain under contract players were told they could look for new clubs, however since nobody has moved (except Collins) it's normal that they report back for pre-season - Hibs aren't going to pay them for sitting at home. It's also normal that the new manager may wish to hold on to some of them.

Nothing has become any more shambolic from what I can see.

steakbake
16-06-2014, 12:00 AM
I don't see what's new or surprising about this. My understanding was that certain under contract players were told they could look for new clubs, however since nobody has moved (except Collins) it's normal that they report back for pre-season - Hibs aren't going to pay them for sitting at home. It's also normal that the new manager may wish to hold on to some of them.

Or any less shambolic?

I've just never heard of that happening anywhere. A few short weeks ago, the then manager sits down and bullets a list of players. Wasn't there a list of these on the official website? Now some of these are being asked back.

Quite happy to be wrong and it's very likely I am, but if I'm right then seriously? Where do you begin with that as an idea?

Captain Trips
16-06-2014, 12:04 AM

I would agree any players no matter how good or bad we think they are if in contract should be ready to get on with things. Only two people should decide what happens to these players that is new manager or player themselves.

Thecat23
16-06-2014, 12:05 AM
In other words, no one wants Craig, Nelson, McGivern so we are stuck with them. Or... We finally know if these players all go we are ****ed as it leaves us no time for a manger to build a whole side.

The longer the search for a manger goes on the more chance we will be way off the pace come the opening game.

What worries me is these are the players who took the huff couldn't get us a win and they are being told we need them again. Aye sure they can't wait to dig deep for the cause again.

Diclonius
16-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Provided our new manager isn't blind and tactically challenged, we will still be getting rid of the Chuckle Brothers. No need to panic. :aok:

Peevemor
16-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Can we say they were really bulleted though? Apparently some were told they could go if they find another club, but until they do they remain Hibs players. I can't recall anything in interview where LD speaks about u-turns or second chances, only that the new manager, when appointed, will make up his own mind. Maybe LD already has an idea of who's going to be appointed and the players he wants to retain.

As I say, I don't see what the fuss is about.

steakbake
16-06-2014, 12:10 AM
In other words, no one wants Craig, Nelson, McGivern so we are stuck with them. Or... We finally know if these players all go we are ****ed as it leaves us no time for a manger to build a whole side.

The longer the search for a manger goes on the more chance we will be way off the pace come the opening game.

What worries me is these are the players who took the huff couldn't get us a win and they are being told we need them again. Aye sure they can't wait to dig deep for the cause again.

That's the other angle:

LD: we need an entirely new team.
Shadowy voice from the corner: The purse strings are staying tied. You're going to need a plan B.

hihohibby
16-06-2014, 12:15 AM
I personally want to see the back of all the contracted players who played a part in our relegation. There might be a wee argument for keeping Stanton and Cummings, but not Craig, McGivern, Tudor Jones, Robertson, Stevenson, Nelson and Heffernan. These players are "losers" and tainted with the brush of failure. :cb

Thecat23
16-06-2014, 12:16 AM
That's the other angle:

LD: we need an entirely new team.
Shadowy voice from the corner: The purse strings are staying tied. You're going to need a plan B.

There is no doubt in my mind that Hibs are panicking and wanting these players in because they waited 2 full weeks to sack that clown. Sorry I back LD but waiting 2 weeks when nearly everyone knew he'd be fired was just stupid!!

Boyle89
16-06-2014, 01:45 AM
BBC gossip saying that dempster willing to give second chances to 'out of contract' players...does that mean we will see williams return? Who actually left and hasnt signed for another club?

The_Horde
16-06-2014, 02:07 AM
The headline says dempster gives second chance but in the article she says nothing of the sort.

Standard DR.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-06-2014, 03:58 AM

No ifs about it? Blue Peter badge for you.

Beefster
16-06-2014, 05:41 AM
I think we should take every story that comes of out Hibs as another opportunity to give the club/Rodders/Dempster/the players another kicking.

Definitely the way to go.

Tyler Durden
16-06-2014, 06:28 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Hibs are panicking and wanting these players in because they waited 2 full weeks to sack that clown. Sorry I back LD but waiting 2 weeks when nearly everyone knew he'd be fired was just stupid!!

I don't see why the timing of Butcher's sacking is relevant.

Hibs always had 2 options with these players. Pay up their contracts and they leave immediately. Or we play the waiting game to see if another club wants them and we can then release them at no (or little) further cost. The latter is the correct option and the one the club have taken. In the meantime of course players need to train.

There's obviously a lot of strong feelings about McGivern and Nelson and I'm sure they will both leave by August at worst. But the likes of Heffernan and Craig, there's nothing to suggest a new manager can't come in and get these guys performing again.

If we had sacked Butcher earlier it makes no difference to this situation

heretoday
16-06-2014, 06:34 AM
I am not paying to watch Nelson and McGivern again. Not in Hibs shirts anyway.

Aldo
16-06-2014, 06:41 AM
I am not paying to watch Nelson and McGivern again. Not in Hibs shirts anyway.

You can add Craig to that list IMHO.

Geo_1875
16-06-2014, 06:50 AM
So people on here would be happy for the new manager to turn up next Monday and start looking for a whole new squad? That's never going to happen. Lets just wait and see what happens before slitting your wrists.

Keith_M
16-06-2014, 07:00 AM
;4064535']The headline says dempster gives second chance but in the article she says nothing of the sort.

Standard DR.

:agree:

Could I just repeat that sentiment.

Could people please stop getting het up over misleading headlines and actually read the article, especially what Dempster does and doesn't say.

marinello59
16-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I think we should take every story that comes of out Hibs as another opportunity to give the club/Rodders/Dempster/the players another kicking.

Definitely the way to go.

It's depressing isn't it? We have somebody at the club who is willing to tell it like it is and yet we still get Hibs fans putting as negative a spin on things as possible. Nothing has changed here, contracted players will report back for training.

LancsHibs
16-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Hibs always had 2 options with these players. Pay up their contracts and they leave immediately. Or we play the waiting game to see if another club wants them and we can then release them at no (or little) further cost. The latter is the correct option and the one the club have taken. In the meantime of course players need to train.

There's obviously a lot of strong feelings about McGivern and Nelson and I'm sure they will both leave by August at worst. But the likes of Heffernan and Craig, there's nothing to suggest a new manager can't come in and get these guys performing again.

Only that if we sacked Butcher 2 weeks previous we would probably now have the new man in place and could be in a position to make decisions on our in contract players and clear up the situation . Agree he should have gone earlier, there was no reason to delay and was indecisive

CRAZYHIBBY
16-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Its a bit of a slap in the face for kevin thomson who imo was the best of the bunch

marinello59
16-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Its a bit of a slap in the face for kevin thomson who imo was the best of the bunch

He was out of contract.
Do people really not know the difference?

MrRobot
16-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Total non-story. Any team who sacks a manager will always allow the new manager coming in to decide which under-contract players stay and leave.

Waxy
16-06-2014, 07:37 AM
It's depressing isn't it? We have somebody at the club who is willing to tell it like it is and yet we still get Hibs fans putting as negative a spin on things as possible. Nothing has changed here, contracted players will report back for training.

So true. Things have got so much better for us since LD took over. Some people don't have any positivity in them. Is it a Hibs problem or a social problem?

Thecat23
16-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Of course it makes a difference. We delayed it by two weeks!!! That's a long time in football and we could have had a new manager in now. I can't believe you don't think it matters when he was sacked!

The delay can cost us players that we may have picked up if our new manager was in place. The longer it's left the less chance of him getting a team together. Unless you are missing my point here?

Bill Milne
16-06-2014, 07:44 AM
They are under contract. Why would Hibs be expected to pay players to sit on their bums at home rather than report for training?

The Leith Dutch
16-06-2014, 07:48 AM

I think it's a little strange to lump those 5 players together.

For me, and this is only an opinion, I'd take a different attitude to each.

Robertson I'd keep - for me one of the few pass marks last season. Put in a shift and was usually committed. By no means a star player but more than happy for him to be kicking around. At the very least I think he'll be a good player for the second tier.

Stevenson - always lots of debate around him :)
I can see why people maybe don't rate him but a decent squad player for me - I'd hope we aim to get better quality in but he's not a problem player for me at the moment (especially as we need to sort out about 3 quarters of a new first team).

Nelson's issues are not effort - he's very slow and his distribution is awful. The former may not be as big an issue in the lower divisions - at least as a back up. As for the distribution surely a good manager would tell him to stop hoofing it and play a simple pass to the centre midfielders.
Don't get me wrong, Nelson is not what I'd regard as the sort of player I want at Hibs but his issues are he's limited and was badly managed.

Craig. What can I say - an incredibly frustrating player. He obviously has ability but for some reason has shown very little of it at Hibs.
The repeated use of that sand-wedge pass forward without looking was really, really annoying. More than anything my problem with him was heart (especially as he was Captain). I'd let him go purely on that.

McGivern. Quite how we turned (or allowed it to happen) what looked like a class defender into what McGivern became I don't know.
Far, far too casual. Looking at it from the stands he had all the hallmarks of a stinking attitude suggesting he believed he was better than the club.
Like Nelson, similar distribution issues, but the attitude problem suggest that may not be as easy to manage.
Also sounds like he's instrumental in the drinking culture. Of all of those 5 players he's the one I'd punt.

That said - it's only my opinion ;)

BSEJVT
16-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Jesus Christ

What do people expect

Its all very well continuously booting the club in the baws but its got to stop

Fact 1 our playing budget will need to reduce

Fact 2 the easiest way to do that is to bin everyone not under contract

Fact 3 we cant afford to pay under contract guys for sitting in the house

Fact 4 we have more chance of getting rid of some of those we want to if it that are training, fit and playing

These are absolutely indisputable facts, in the light of these I don't find Leanne's statement at all surprising, quite the reverse.

We can argue all day long about whether some of those that have gone should have stayed, the simple and absolute truth of the matter is that we simply couldn't afford to have kept them until we see what we are left with and how much of the budget that takes up.

Psychologically the support will get a far bigger lift from new signings than re-signing some of the pish that has left.

Every supporter makes up their mind on a player they have seen and it takes a helluva lot to change it, anyone and everyone left from last season will carry some baggage as far as the supporters are concerned, the less baggage our new team carries Imo the better, maybe that way we can finally unify and get behind them?

Ronniekirk
16-06-2014, 07:52 AM
They are under contract. Why would Hibs be expected to pay players to sit on their bums at home rather than report for training?
Yep if they are to find other clubs they are better to be fit and depending in how quickly we appoint new manager and bring players in we may have to start season with some of these players Tell them just now they aren't wanted is fine if someone else is interested eg a lower English team was always likely to give collins another opportunity but tryingto shift Nelson is a totally different proposition.

AlbertK86
16-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Jesus Christ What do people expect Its all very well continuously booting the club in the baws but its got to stop Fact 1 our playing budget will need to reduce Fact 2 the easiest way to do that is to bin everyone not under contract Fact 3 we cant afford to pay under contract guys for sitting in the house Fact 4 we have more chance of getting rid of some of those we want to if it that are training, fit and playing These are absolutely indisputable facts, in the light of these I don't find Leanne's statement at all surprising, quite the reverse. We can argue all day long about whether some of those that have gone should have stayed, the simple and absolute truth of the matter is that we simply couldn't afford to have kept them until we see what we are left with and how much of the budget that takes up. Psychologically the support will get a far bigger lift from new signings than re-signing some of the pish that has left. Every supporter makes up their mind on a player they have seen and it takes a helluva lot to change it, anyone and everyone left from last season will carry some baggage as far as the supporters are concerned, the less baggage our new team carries Imo the better, maybe that way we can finally unify and get behind them?

Excellent post

hibsdownunder
16-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Robertson I'd keep - for me one of the few pass marks last season. Put in a shift and was usually committed. By no means a star player but more than happy for him to be kicking around. At the very least I think he'll be a good player for the second tier.

I can see why people maybe don't rate him but a decent squad player for me - I'd hope we aim to get better quality in but he's not a problem player for me at the moment (especially as we need to sort out about 3 quarters of a new first team).

Nelson's issues are not effort - he's very slow and his distribution is awful. The former may not be as big an issue in the lower divisions - at least as a back up. As for the distribution surely a good manager would tell him to stop hoofing it and play a simple pass to the centre midfielders.
Don't get me wrong, Nelson is not what I'd regard as the sort of player I want at Hibs but his issues are he's limited and was badly managed.

Craig. What can I say - an incredibly frustrating player. He obviously has ability but for some reason has shown very little of it at Hibs.
The repeated use of that sand-wedge pass forward without looking was really, really annoying. More than anything my problem with him was heart (especially as he was Captain). I'd let him go purely on that.

McGivern. Quite how we turned (or allowed it to happen) what looked like a class defender into what McGivern became I don't know.
Far, far too casual. Looking at it from the stands he had all the hallmarks of a stinking attitude suggesting he believed he was better than the club.
Like Nelson, similar distribution issues, but the attitude problem suggest that may not be as easy to manage.
Also sounds like he's instrumental in the drinking culture. Of all of those 5 players he's the one I'd punt.

Agree, under a decent manager/motivator the first four should do well for us in that league. Gives a decent building block and saves pay offs. Nelson no where near as bad as some on here suggest - McGivern however absolute liability!

Deansy
16-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Ffs - it's an article from the 'Daily R*tard !. Since when did that 'paper' ever have any credibility ?

Turkish Green
16-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Could it be that LD is finding it difficult to attract players to the club and therefore has reverted back on those players told to go by Butcher, but leaving the final say to the new manager.

Will these contracted players have to take a pay cut?

Islington Hibs
16-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Like them or not we have a legal obligation to pay players under contract their wages so we might as well try and get the best out of them. Doubtless the new manager will try and off load some of those players - either to new clubs or on loan. But there is no point abusing them as they are still contracted. Indeed some of them could still end up being quite decent- they did OK for other clubs after all. Clean sheet and all that?

matty_f
16-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Could it be that LD is finding it difficult to attract players to the club and therefore has reverted back on those players told to go by Butcher, but leaving the final say to the new manager.

Will these contracted players have to take a pay cut?

She won't be trying to bring players in until the manager gets appointed, so I suppose the answer to your first question is 'no'.

Turkish Green
16-06-2014, 09:57 AM

I consider your opinion as sound.

In a perfect world, all 5 would be punted. But in a perfect world Hibs would still be in the SPL.

Whatever way I look at it: McGivern needs punting. He was woeful last season and made far too many stupid errors that were punished by the opposition.

The other 4 is a matter of debate. I'd keep Robertson, Stevenson and Craig in the squad but I have a question mark over Nelson (he is just cumbersome but may get away with it in the Championship).

However, I can see why all 5 will still be at ER next season.

AlbertK86
16-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Agree, under a decent manager/motivator the first four should do well for us in that league. Gives a decent building block and saves pay offs. Nelson no where near as bad as some on here suggest - McGivern however absolute liability!

Other way round but want rid of both

silverhibee
16-06-2014, 10:24 AM

I understand that, what i don't understand is why is she telling them to report back to EM for pre season, surely they would have known that if they didn't find a club, i get the impression that they were told not to even turn up back at EM and this is the u turn Hibs are making.

Shambles

silverhibee
16-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Can we say they were really bulleted though? Apparently some were told they could go if they find another club, but until they do they remain Hibs players. I can't recall anything in interview where LD speaks about u-turns or second chances, only that the new manager, when appointed, will make up his own mind. Maybe LD already has an idea of who's going to be appointed and the players he wants to retain.

As I say, I don't see what the fuss is about.

Doesn't say much about the new manager then if he wants to retain these losers.

truehibernian
16-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Doesn't say much about the new manager then if he wants to retain these losers.

My understanding SH is Hibs will soon make an approach to Dumbarton for Nid - he is their number one target as I understand it.

Golden Bear
16-06-2014, 10:33 AM
My understanding SH is Hibs will soon make an approach to Dumbarton for Nid - he is their number one target as I understand it.

You seem to be his number 1 fan though!

truehibernian
16-06-2014, 10:38 AM
You seem to be his number 1 fan though!

I am indeed GB - and I've been saying since the Killie game that I think Ian and Jack Ross will be in the hottest of hotseats start of this season :agree: he ticks all the boxes for me in manner, professionalism, philosophy, and drive. And he will unite the fanbase I think. Lots of good contacts in the game too for one so young.

Twa Cairpets
16-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Jesus Christ

What do people expect

Its all very well continuously booting the club in the baws but its got to stop

Fact 1 our playing budget will need to reduce

Fact 2 the easiest way to do that is to bin everyone not under contract

Fact 3 we cant afford to pay under contract guys for sitting in the house

Fact 4 we have more chance of getting rid of some of those we want to if it that are training, fit and playing

These are absolutely indisputable facts, in the light of these I don't find Leanne's statement at all surprising, quite the reverse.

We can argue all day long about whether some of those that have gone should have stayed, the simple and absolute truth of the matter is that we simply couldn't afford to have kept them until we see what we are left with and how much of the budget that takes up.

Psychologically the support will get a far bigger lift from new signings than re-signing some of the pish that has left.

Every supporter makes up their mind on a player they have seen and it takes a helluva lot to change it, anyone and everyone left from last season will carry some baggage as far as the supporters are concerned, the less baggage our new team carries Imo the better, maybe that way we can finally unify and get behind them?

Excellent post.
The daily tirade of outrage at everything is doing my nut.
Hibs fans need to calm the f*** doon and see if LD can do watch she needs to do. The needless stream of Hearts posters who in my opinion are infesting the board can away and GTF

MyJo
16-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Another perspective:

Hanlon, Stanton, Forster and Cummings will not be sold/released until a new manager is in place and can make the decision on their place in his team.

Col2
16-06-2014, 11:15 AM
:agree:

Could I just repeat that sentiment.

Could people please stop getting het up over misleading headlines and actually read the article, especially what Dempster does and doesn't say.

Oh come on. I just want to rant for the sake of it. I haven't even opened the article yet but know its Petrie's fault and why have we not signed anyone yet????

Tyler Durden
16-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Of course it makes a difference. We delayed it by two weeks!!! That's a long time in football and we could have had a new manager in now. I can't believe you don't think it matters when he was sacked!

The delay can cost us players that we may have picked up if our new manager was in place. The longer it's left the less chance of him getting a team together. Unless you are missing my point here?

I've read your post again. I see your logic that having a new boss in place would have meant better chance of new arrivals by now. Agreed.

However for the players we want rid of, I don't see the new manager making a big difference, in that any new manager will want rid of Nelson and McGivern. Having a new manager in would not IMO speed the process of getting these guys out. It will take time and in the meantime the players need to get fit to help prospects of shifting them.

I don't agree that Hibs are welcoming these guys back because the lack of new manager leaves us short of players. Still plenty time although it's far from ideal.

Keith_M
16-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh come on. I just want to rant for the sake of it. I haven't even opened the article yet but know its Petrie's fault and why have we not signed anyone yet????

Sorry Col, I do respect your right to have an uninformed rant as much as the next person..

:wink:

WeeRussell
16-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Other way round but want rid of both

:agree: Mcgivern at least shown us something resembling a professional footballer.. even if it was years ago!

GlenrothesHibee
16-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Lets be honest. The likes of Craig and Robertson should excel in the championship. Get the right manager in and im all for it. Concerned at who Marsella has lined up though going by the January signings.

Paloschi
16-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I would be disgusted to see any of Nelson, McGivern and Heffernan again next season. IMO Heffernan was even worse than Collins.

Craig I'd rather see let go but if he was given a second chance, under the right manager then who knows.

OTJ is an unknown quantity still. Rather he left to free up a wage for a player that actually plays.

Robertson I would keep.

You would think that surely the manager will come in and know exactly who has let the club down and who needs to be moved on. Then again stranger things have happened at Hibs recently :rolleyes:

truehibernian
16-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I would be disgusted to see any of Nelson, McGivern and Heffernan again next season. IMO Heffernan was even worse than Collins.

Craig I'd rather see let go but if he was given a second chance, under the right manager then who knows.

OTJ is an unknown quantity still. Rather he left to free up a wage for a player that actually plays.

Robertson I would keep.

You would think that surely the manager will come in and know exactly who has let the club down and who needs to be moved on. Then again stranger things have happened at Hibs recently :rolleyes:

Not in my opinion - he's a 6'ft 5ish known quantity of utter garbage :aok:

Fergus52
16-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Stevenson and Robertson never tried?

:aok:

Captain Trips
16-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I do not think it is a 2nd chance. Somebody needs to be in charge of players until manager arrives. These players IMO are guff so hope most get punted but that is up to new manager. I do not really see a problem with this tbh.

Twa Cairpets
16-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Cheerio then.

Did you have the same reaction when we signed any of the other countless huddies that were not very good, or do you just like a nice flounce?

I take it you didn't read the actual article or LD's comments, and preferred to go direct to righteous indignation...

Turkish Green
16-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Another perspective:

Hanlon, Stanton, Forster and Cummings will not be sold/released until a new manager is in place and can make the decision on their place in his team.

Good to know. But I have always been suspicious of new managers that they are more interested in achieving results than nurturing young talent. Whoever the new manager is I hope he has bought into LD's plan 100%.

I remember at Livi when Gordon Macdougall took over the club, his plan was to invest heavily in youth. Gary Bolland came in as manager and initially agreed to play the youngsters but as results slipped he brought in older experienced players to stave off the threat of relegation: Maurice Ross, Jim Hamilton, Robbie Winters, Kenny Deuchar, etc. Bolland's comments were that playing youth was all and well but his job was to get results and he'd lose it if he didn't get results. Anyway, Macdougall sacked Bolland because he was ignoring the youth and brought in Yogi and Collins and the first thing they do is disband the successful U19s and U17s as a cost saving exercise (my lad was one of them released after being promised a contract by Bolland).

Nurturing young talent is fine if a manager is given the time to do it.

Jonnyboy
16-06-2014, 03:25 PM

Utter bollox

truehibernian
16-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Stevenson and Maybury were the only players who were 'consistent' in a team of utter dross - Robertson too when fit - all three looked hurt and hurt when we lost.

I remember after the 2-1 derby at ER, Scott Robertson apologised to the fans and sat on the bench long after the game and after players had walked off the pitch - the lad was crestfallen. Stevenson hurts badly too.

It's these guys, despite what we think of football ability, that we should be praising for their attitude and professionalism. If only the others had cared so much.

BSEJVT
16-06-2014, 04:26 PM

And there in a nutshell is the problem.

It is guilt by association and that's why it will do us more good than harm to get as many out the door as we can, because there are always those who will tar everyone with the same brush.

FWIW I don't think any of them didn't try, but you can be absolutely certain that Lewis Stevenson, limitations and all, was trying like a bear every second of every game he played.

Hibs net is pathetic just now, every other thread decries the club because so and so is still at the club.

It would be utterly stupid to pay off these guys contracts just now, as it comes straight out the playing budget.

Its far better to wait and see if there are any takers, then if they are not in the new manager's plans and he considers them disruptive or dragging the place down to mutually consent them on the last day of the window.

There are so may drama queens on here who wont do this or wont do that, till such and such.

Try engaging your brain and thinking about the best way for the club to achieve something rather than demanding instant action which would be to the clubs detriment.

We either trust LD to run the place or should shut the doors and let the lunatics run the asylum.

jacomo
16-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Certainly more hysteria on here than usual, but also plenty of decent debate and chat. We're at a key moment in this clubs history, and I am fully behind the fresh direction from the top. There will be pain along the way but I'm convinced it will be worth it. Bet wetters go home.

As for the players, I'm still convinced we've got some who could be assets for us next season.

Dave-O
16-06-2014, 04:42 PM
People are frustrated at the moment and lurching from one extreme to another, were all still hurting and things are not moving fast enough for some, this is a worrying time and we need reassured, but NONE of this down to Leeann and we have to remember that and cut her some slack whilst she sorts this mess out.

Paloschi
16-06-2014, 04:53 PM
People are frustrated at the moment and lurching from one extreme to another, were all still hurting and things are not moving fast enough for some, this is a worrying time and we need reassured, but NONE of this down to Leeann and we have to remember that and cut her some slack whilst she sorts this mess out.

Some of this mess could have been sorted out sooner. For example Butcher sacked on day 1.

jacomo
16-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Some of this mess could have been sorted out sooner. For example Butcher sacked on day 1.

Well that's true. But Petrie wanted to handed over responsibility / dump the **** on our new CEO, and she hadn't started yet. Quite reasonably, I guess, she wanted to sit down with TB and see if she could work with him.

Not ideal, definitely frustrating, but given the total mess TB left us in (I will never understand why he didn't do the honourable thing and resign) we are where we are.

I still think that allowing LD to implement some far-reaching changes is the right thing to do.

Peevemor
16-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Well that's true. But Petrie wanted to handed over responsibility / dump the **** on our new CEO, and she hadn't started yet.

So he get's criticised for not taking the decision, yet there were folk going radio on here because he went to a meeting and was therefore seen as influencing things.

Is there any need for these gratuitous pot shots? I'm not just speaking about RP.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-06-2014, 06:21 PM
I reckon Heffernan would score goals in the Championship, a lot.

basehibby
16-06-2014, 08:47 PM
There's been some utter pish spouted on this thread - of course we'd like to replace the whole squad with a bunch of superstars, but plainly we cannot.

Cash is short and anyone that leaves, unless a transfer is in place which suits all parties, would have to be compensated. Therefore we are bound to have a bunch of players who came down with us left over and it would be plain idiotic not to use them - even if just for cover - if they are on the payroll.

Apart from anything else there are a quite a few who, despite being part of a relegated side, are pretty bloody good players and are likely to stand out as such in Scotland's second tier - I'm thinking of Robertson and Heffernan AND Craig for example, and the likes of Stevenson who has never let us down. We will plainly need some key additions to add to the mix - and maybe a few exits could be on the cards - in order to make a good side out of what's left, but lets get used to the FACT that there's going to be a few familiar faces still about.

BACK THEM and give them the chance to pay back the club for getting us relegated rather than jumping on their backs before a ball has been kicked.

Gerard
16-06-2014, 09:14 PM
There's been some utter pish spouted on this thread - of course we'd like to replace the whole squad with a bunch of superstars, but plainly we cannot.

Cash is short and anyone that leaves, unless a transfer is in place which suits all parties, would have to be compensated. Therefore we are bound to have a bunch of players who came down with us left over and it would be plain idiotic not to use them - even if just for cover - if they are on the payroll.

Apart from anything else there are a quite a few who, despite being part of a relegated side, are pretty bloody good players and are likely to stand out as such in Scotland's second tier - I'm thinking of Robertson and Heffernan AND Craig for example, and the likes of Stevenson who has never let us down. We will plainly need some key additions to add to the mix - and maybe a few exits could be on the cards - in order to make a good side out of what's left, but lets get used to the FACT that there's going to be a few familiar faces still about.

BACK THEM and give them the chance to pay back the club for getting us relegated rather than jumping on their backs before a ball has been kicked.

Great post. The truth is not always easy to accept. OUR CLUB was relegated because the players did not play well enough to be in the SPFL. Our manager and his team could not get results. The MT has gone and many of the players have gone. We have a New CEO who is dedicated to OUR CLUB full time. Change is never easy to accept and the 'Winds of Change' are no different. The club has to live within its means. As a result the football squad has to be cut. If we had a mega rich benefactor perhaps we could have an very large squad of players at all levels. At this time we do not have this mega rich benefactor and the club has to live within its means.

Cameron1875
16-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I reckon Heffernan would score goals in the Championship, a lot.

Normally i'd say yes but he can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

Missed a sitter against Raith in the cup and did nowt against Hamilton so not a given that he would play well in a lower division.

Unseen work
16-06-2014, 10:56 PM
All she Is saying is the new manager will obv have a open mind and will asses the players based on his own opinion?

Jesus

She's not saying they are terrific and she won't let them leave

Moon unit
16-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Saw Tom Taiwo (Hibs training top on) running along the prom at Porty this evening,keeping himself fit.

DH1875
17-06-2014, 07:52 AM
In other words. No other clubs have wanted any of the players so we are stuck with them. And if we're stuck with them then of course they will be at training.

--------
17-06-2014, 10:03 AM
HIBS are ready to give a fresh chance to the under-contract exiles who saw them relegated.

The Easter Road side appeared to empty their entire senior squad in the wake of their play-off capitulation to Hamilton, telling even those with deals they were free to find other clubs.

However, following Terry Butcher’s sacking, chief executive Leeann Dempster has now told those players, including club captain Liam Craig, they are expected to report back for pre-season training at East Mains on June 23.

Whoever is appointed as their new boss will then assess which of them he does or doesn’t want and negotiations will move on from there.

Dempster said: “Our position with all the players who are in contract is that we have asked them to report back for pre-season training.

“When the new person comes in he will have discussions with players who are already here. There may be discussions to have in terms of the players themselves, what their aspirations might be, but our position at the minute is that any player who is under contract will be expected back.

“We have relayed that to their agents. It might be that one or two players come back and say, ‘Let’s be honest, I want to further my career, maybe the Championship isn’t the place to be’.

“You could make a strong argument against that this year in terms of the teams involved but that’s normal.”

The Hibs website lists the likes of Craig, Scott Robertson, Michael Nelson, Paul Heffernan, Ryan McGivern and Owain Tudur Jones alongside talented kids such as Sam Stanton and Jason Cummings in their squad for the season ahead.

However MailSport understands some of those players were under the impression they were free to find themselves new clubs.

Dempster said: “I wasn’t in the room at that particular point. They are under contract at the minute, we want them all back.

“We know James Collins has left. That was mutually agreed. But we need to start focusing on a good pre-season and get games planned into the diary so we can actually play.

“There are key positions that I think we all know. There are no goalkeepers, for example, so that’s an area we need to get moving on.”

Scout Steve Marsella has already targeted some players and Dempster added: “The new manager will come in, consider some of that work and decide if they are on the list or not. I don’t think it would make sense to recruit before then.”

Dempster admits the off-field issues gripping the Easter Road support aren’t helping in terms of stability either.

Club captain Liam Craig is expected for pre season training on June 23

The campaign to oust Rod Petrie as chairman is gaining traction but the chief exec is convinced the fixtures being announced in midweek will focus the fans back on the football.

She said: “In terms of where we are, it would be ideal to sell more season tickets, there is no doubt about that.

“Are we on a par with where we were at this time last year? No. But I think some are maybe sitting back and waiting to see what players are going to be coming in and that happens at the club.

“They want to see who the manager is going to be and then they will make an assessment. That is absolutely right.

“You can’t force people to buy season tickets but there is still a really strong, healthy number in there. Many fans bought early and it’s now down to us to try to get that number up.

“It’s when they see fixtures, that’s when we can start to talk about football again. The problem is that the past couple of weeks have been a complete vacuum and that doesn't allow people to focus.

“But there will be a fixture list soon and we can see when certain games are, there will be a new manager announced soon, players coming in, and then, all of a sudden, supporters go, ‘Oh, I must get my season ticket’.

“Last week was difficult but I met the supporters’ groups and if they weren’t as passionate as they were, then you have something to worry about.

“I tried to be honest with them and I have to demonstrate that what I say is actually going to happen.”

FROM AROUND THE WEB:

The clue's in the phrase "Mailsport understands". :wink:

Another clue is the phrase "under the impression" - sounds as if Butcher's thrown a tantrum and told them all to clear off without actually formally terminating their employment and without consulting anyone but his own sweet retiring self ....

I heard that "Mr Sheen" intend to name a new range of aerosols after him.

I'm sure the word was "aerosol". :wink: