PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Baptie

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Just tweeted his disappointment at the worst possible news to come home to. Shame thought he might have had a chance at Hibs.

scoopyboy
14-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Just tweeted his disappointment at the worst possible news to come home to. Shame thought he might have had a chance at Hibs.

Are you sure he was referring to Hibs?

Genuine question as I thought he was getting a new contract.

easty
14-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I thought, from reading on here, that he was one of brightest prospects we had??

eastmainsmsh
14-06-2014, 02:07 PM

I've no doubt he will get another club he is a tremendous prospect what the **** is going on ...? The goalkeeper Doug Horne as well was rated highly by Scott Thompson and let go

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Are you sure he was referring to Hibs?

Genuine question as I thought he was getting a new contract.

Murdoch responded and asked if Hibs had pulled the plug on deal and he replied yes. I don't do twitter my laddie showed it to me.

Thecat23
14-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Hibs have gone back on his deal. Utter ****ing shambles of a club we really are.

Boyle89
14-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Was this a new deal? Is he still at the club? A lot of people rate him highly I was looking forward to seeing him play.

hibeeleicester
14-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Who has authorised this seeing as we have no manager?

Surely only James would make the call?

Thecat23
14-06-2014, 02:15 PM
This stinks of board level cutting more costs.

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Must have been Leeann's decision. She is after all "in control".

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Who has authorised this seeing as we have no manager?

Surely only James would make the call?

Pet..............:timebomb:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Absolute joke.

West hamBERNIAN
14-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Sean said to said the contract 1st class and contact the pfa

West hamBERNIAN
14-06-2014, 02:26 PM
To send the contract

QMU-1875
14-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Hibs apparently sent him a contract and have now changed there mind. The young lad should go to the PFA with this what an absolute disgrace, shameful behaviour from hibs!

Bleeds green
14-06-2014, 02:30 PM
****in terrible Leanne's decision defo, this is not the way the fans want to go at least honour the offered contract then release the laddie if so wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Hibs apparently sent him a contract and have now changed there mind. The young lad should go to the PFA with this what an absolute disgrace, shameful behaviour from hibs!

This! He's gonna speak with his agent and see what he says. Shambles of a club so we are.

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Conducting his business on Twitter and retweeting negative comments isnt going todo him any favours. better advised to have said nothing and spoken to the relevant people within the club.

snooky
14-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Unbelievable.
Honeymoon over.
Looks like it's business as usual. :chop:

easty
14-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Conducting his business on Twitter and retweeting negative comments isnt going todo him any favours. better advised to have said nothing and spoken to the relevant people within the club.

You can understand the lad perhaps being a bit annoyed just now though.

Fat Penlon
14-06-2014, 02:39 PM
So a promising youngster has been let go but the club continue to pay McGivern, Nelson, Stevenson, Craig, handling, Caldwell and all the other useless crap that's left!!!!

Shambles.

easty
14-06-2014, 02:39 PM

What can the PFA do? It's a ****ty way to treat someone but until a contracts been signed, it can be withdrawn surely.

Poor from Hibs. Very poor.

Stuarty27
14-06-2014, 02:40 PM
This is shocking...

sad way to go about it. FFS you cant imagine he was on a big wage either.

crazy

QMU-1875
14-06-2014, 02:41 PM

He's a young lad, no wonder he's retweeting negative comments! This is a real disgrace, heard so many great things about this young lad surely in the championship we should be giving him a chance! I sincerely hope this isn't Leanne Dempsters call, it should be a footballing staff decision! I hope somehow he gets to stay and prove who ever decided this wrong!

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 02:43 PM
You can understand the lad perhaps being a bit annoyed just now though.

If it's true he has every right to be annoyed. But that's not an excuse to immediately assist in the slagging off of the club he obviously wants to play for. He should maybe have spoken to his agent before venting his frustration. He's done himself no favours by tweeting about it.

oconnors_strip
14-06-2014, 02:43 PM
I am soooooo pissed off with the club in the manner they have done it. Ryan is a great potential and a big hibee. Lad is devastated.

Will be ensuring Leeann and George are made aware of the fans feelings towards this.

As for someone saying it would be james decision, I haven't spoken to him yet but I don't think it would be as he highly rated him

weonlywon6-2
14-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Always two sides to a story.

Decisons are going to be made at hibs that will not be to the benefit of everyone,time will tell if they are correct in doing this,if this is what people are saying

Scotty-1875
14-06-2014, 02:45 PM
If rather pay double his wages and use McGiverns salary to compensate.

Met Baptie a few times through mutual friends and he's completely dedicated to Hibs and his football career. He's rarely out drinking. Can't say the same for some characters in the first team from last year!

Do we realistically have any time to replace all of these players we're getting rid of?

I know Hibs are needing a complete overhaul and a good clear out but why are we getting rid of our youngsters who were in a winning team and were consistently playing good football last season?

iwasthere1972
14-06-2014, 02:48 PM
If it's true he has every right to be annoyed. But that's not an excuse to immediately assist in the slagging off of the club he obviously wants to play for. He should maybe have spoken to his agent before venting his frustration. He's done himself no favours by tweeting about it.

:agree: We don't know the whole story. Personally can't stand Twitter.

erskine-hibby
14-06-2014, 02:53 PM
If a contract is signed, sealed and delivered then he has a case, like TB, but if not there is little can be done.
What was the point in bringing this guy in the other day if there is no one to develop?

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Lots of unanswered questions about this. Perhaps someone could shed some light in these?

Who told him his contract offer was now void?

Is he being released or is it a change of terms?

Was the original offer made before relegation and thus on a different budget?

Why did he not sign the original offer?

Has he spoken to Leeann or James?

If he cares so much about Hibs why is he retweeting all the comments about how he's too good for us?

hibs0666
14-06-2014, 02:58 PM

Thems the breaks when club income is about to go through the floor.

hibs0666
14-06-2014, 03:00 PM
So a promising youngster has been let go but the club continue to pay McGivern, Nelson, Stevenson, Craig, handling, Caldwell and all the other useless crap that's left!!!!

Shambles.

Hibs have a contract with those players that the club can't just not pay.

erskine-hibby
14-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Thems the breaks when club income is about to go through the floor.
Can't believe a highly rated youngster could be on a wage that would make much difference to the club???

Thecat23
14-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Can't believe a highly rated youngster could be on a wage that would make much difference to the club???

He's not. So for me it's bad patter!

hibs0666
14-06-2014, 03:01 PM

Every penny was a prisoner before, this is just an example of how bad it is going to be in this division.

erskine-hibby
14-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Your Petrie aren't you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:03 PM
What can the PFA do? It's a ****ty way to treat someone but until a contracts been signed, it can be withdrawn surely.

Poor from Hibs. Very poor.

Sign it then send it away?

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Sign it then send it away?

Why is it not already signed?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Why is it not already signed?

Was on holiday I think.

hibee92
14-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Has Andy Black been released too?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/476703703458914304/a51S8l4h_normal.jpegAndy Black @Andy_Black7 (https://twitter.com/Andy_Black7) ·

-Speechless

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/Andy_Black7/status/477829995164078080)
RetweetRetweeted 0 times
FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More

Sergio sledge
14-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Has the contract offer been withdrawn or just put on hold until the new manager is in to make the final decision?

These guys should know better than conduct private business on twitter, and right after Dempster came in and specifically referred to bad publicity on twitter etc needing to be stamped out.

eastcoasthibby
14-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Have to say this is what LD described would happen only having certain number of players to play each position and as stated he seems to be going as we have Stevenson, Booth, McGivern all able to play left back.
Not sure what age Ryan Baptie is but if he is about coming out of the age group
I can see some logic, hard as it may be !! I watched a lot of the 20"s games and he certainly had a lot of ability, but not sure personally that he had enough all round !!
Sorry for him, and I do take peoples views about McGivern but he is a first team player under contract who has ability when he applies himself and doesn't t think he is a prima Donna pop star !
As for Nelson I would give his wages to any other players and if he has to stay, I hope the new manager moves him out or just doesn't play him.

As for using Twitter he will be very disappointed, but it amazes me that players people use these media routes and then seem shocked or embarrassed when it works against them !!!

If you are going Ryan good luck and I am sure you will find a new club quickly.

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Was on holiday I think.

He'd have had the contract longer than that. He was in Magaluf for 10 days. Insinuation seems to be the contract was sent before Leeann took over.

How long do players get to sign them? Could it be he didn't decide quick enough and the club needs to get things moving so he's been left behind?

silverhibee
14-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Maybe he has.

PiemanP
14-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Not very happy this has happened when the club doesn't have a manager. If the new man comes in, has a look at him and then decides not to keep, that's fair enough, but to be releasing a highly rated (although I can't claim to have watched him) youngster at this time doesn't seem right. If he is out of contract I'm sure a minimum of a short term deal could have been agreed until the new man comes in.

Also more silence from the official site...

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Maybe he has.

According himself on Twitter he's only just doing that now.

smurf
14-06-2014, 03:27 PM
What a shambles we are.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Andy Black has also been let go I think. Jay Doyle saying "chin up, you'll move onto bigger and better things".

What the actual ****.

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Not very happy this has happened when the club doesn't have a manager. If the new man comes in, has a look at him and then decides not to keep, that's fair enough, but to be releasing a highly rated (although I can't claim to have watched him) youngster at this time doesn't seem right. If he is out of contract I'm sure a minimum of a short term deal could have been agreed until the new man comes in.

Also more silence from the official site...

We don't know he's been released. Everyone is jumping to conclusions and the club is getting the crappy end of the stick.

What is it you expect the official site to say at times like this? Leeann Dempster to make a statement because a player lost the place and had a rant on Twitter? These matter should be dealt with in private. Not an online mudslinging contest between the club and player.

As I've put at the top of the page, there's a lot of important unanswered questions.

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 03:30 PM
As annoyed as I am, Ryan should not be conducting club business, or angst at the club, on social media - for me it's a time to count to 10, breath, make some calls and discuss it professionally with the club.

Very very good player, should have been playing in the side last 10 games along with Andy Black.......but as I say, a player should not be doing business on twitter. It's counter productive and divides fans before all the facts are truly known.

If I'm even more honest I'd be more devastated if it was Andrew Black.

SteveHFC
14-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Andy Black has also been let go I think. Jay Doyle saying "chin up, you'll move onto bigger and better things".

What the actual ****.

Seriously mate?

That is disgusting

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:31 PM
As annoyed as I am, Ryan should not be conducting club business, or angst at the club, on social media - for me it's a time to count to 10, breath, make some calls and discuss it professionally with the club.

Very very good player, should have been playing in the side last 10 games along with Andy Black.......but as I say, a player should not be doing business on twitter. It's counter productive and divides fans before all the facts are truly known.

If I'm even more honest I'd be more devastated if it was Andrew Black.

Looks like you'll be devastated then bud.

Bostonhibby
14-06-2014, 03:33 PM
If we are releasing guys like this over cash alone then maybe action now on the cash front might be better for the club than pledges to the Global Hibby threads which might or might not eventually develop into something that helps. Know it might not be popular but putting it out there..............

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Seriously mate?

That is disgusting

From Jay's reply, I can only think that the worst has happened here mate. This is an absolute disgrace. Given the chance he could have been a top class RB for us.

Someone should get in contact with LD regarding these two appalling decisions.

SteveHFC
14-06-2014, 03:35 PM
From Jay's reply, I can only think that the worst has happened here mate. This is an absolute disgrace. Given the chance he could have been a top class RB for us.

Someone should get in contact with LD regarding these two appalling decisions.

Cheers mate. WTF is happening to our club?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:36 PM

I wish I knew the answer Steve lad.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Ridiculous

matty_f
14-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Exactly what Leeann said would happen. Difficult and unpopular decisions were going to have to be taken because we are/were carrying far too many players.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Exactly what Leeann said would happen. Difficult and unpopular decisions were going to have to be taken because we are/were carrying far too many players.

It should be the likes of Nelson, McGivern and all the ***** that got us relegated being let go, not our best youngsters!

SteveHFC
14-06-2014, 03:42 PM
It should be the likes of Nelson, McGivern and all the ***** that got us relegated being let go, not our best youngsters!

:top marks

Bostonhibby
14-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Hear what you say, any point enquiring how much to ditch McGivern, offset against keeping the likes of Baptie? Rhetorical question really, the whole thing still has a balance sheet, non footballing feel to it to be honest.

silverhibee
14-06-2014, 03:44 PM

How many players do we have right now.

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 03:45 PM

:agree:

The youngsters are suffering while our real problems linger on.

If we're so strapped for cash that we need to let our youngsters go, then what chance do we have of bringing any players in for next season?

PiemanP
14-06-2014, 03:46 PM
We don't know he's been released. Everyone is jumping to conclusions and the club is getting the crappy end of the stick.

What is it you expect the official site to say at times like this? Leeann Dempster to make a statement because a player lost the place and had a rant on Twitter? These matter should be dealt with in private. Not an online mudslinging contest between the club and player.

As I've put at the top of the page, there's a lot of important unanswered questions.

I do agree we are jumping to conclusions, but having had a look at his twitter and all the 'chin up' style tweets, it does look very likely he's been let go. I don't expect a big article from the club - he is, afterall, just an under 20s player - simply a one liner saying he's left and wish him all the best would be better than finding out club news through (disgruntled) player's twitters.

Pretty Boy
14-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Tbh unpopular decisions have to be taken.

I don't know how good Baptie and Black are but bearing in mind they couldn't get near the 1st team last year I have to question if they are as good as people are making out. Look how good Cummings was for thr 20s but he was pretty hit and miss in the 1st team.

Maybe this is a mistake but we get the same reaction every time a young player is released and I honestly can't think of many who have come back to haunt us or went on to star elsewhere. Happy to be corrected on that though.

matty_f
How many players do we have right now.

Dunno. Sure she said we had something like 53 registered that could play in the first team last season. Gives you an idea of how many we need to lose.

Gus Fring

Those players have allegedly been told they can leave. They are under contract though and the club has to honour that. Could turn out they aren't here at the start of the season either.

Hear what you say, any point enquiring how much to ditch McGivern, offset against keeping the likes of Baptie? Rhetorical question really, the whole thing still has a balance sheet, non footballing feel to it to be honest.

Dempster has said the 2 budgets will be separate.

matty_f
14-06-2014, 03:49 PM

No point enquiring to me because I don't have access to any of the information to be able to answer.

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 03:51 PM
I do agree we are jumping to conclusions, but having had a look at his twitter and all the 'chin up' style tweets, it does look very likely he's been let go. I don't expect a big article from the club - he is, afterall, just an under 20s player - simply a one liner saying he's left and wish him all the best would be better than finding out club news through (disgruntled) player's twitters.

If the club is releasing more than one player than they'll likely wait until they've spoken to all of them and then put a statement out on Monday.

Thecat23
14-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Has the contract offer been withdrawn or just put on hold until the new manager is in to make the final decision?

These guys should know better than conduct private business on twitter, and right after Dempster came in and specifically referred to bad publicity on twitter etc needing to be stamped out.

They have every right to be angry. It's been totally removed and they are binned. I'd be raging.

Gerard
14-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I think LD said that we will see our playing pool reduced to 35 to 38 players. We had 53 players on our books. We are a CL team and need to accept a lower player budget. She also said that due to financial constraints we could see players released that could have done a good job for us. If only we had not been relegated then we would have had more money to spend on players. I trust LD to make the difficult decisions that she is being paid to make. I find her to be honest and willing to work with the 'Hibernian Family'. I look forward to seeing our club make better use of the money that is has to spend and becoming a football club and less of a 'corporate entity'.

jdships
14-06-2014, 03:57 PM
:agree: We don't know the whole story. Personally can't stand Twitter.

Yup as you rightly say there may well be a bit more to this than we are hearing here
Hopefully we will get an official statement

:confused:

marinello59
14-06-2014, 03:58 PM
I think LD said that we will see our playing pool reduced to 35 to 38 players. We had 53 players on our books. We are a CL team and need to accept a lower player budget. She also said that due to financial constraints we could see players released that could have done a good job for us. If only we had not been relegated then we would have had more money to spend on players. I trust LD to make the difficult decisions that she is being paid to make. I find her to be honest and willing to work with the 'Hibernian Family'. I look forward to seeing our club make better use of the money that is has to spend and becoming a football club and less of a 'corporate entity'.

Well said.

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 04:01 PM
They have every right to be angry. It's been totally removed and they are binned. I'd be raging.

Source?

Thecat23
14-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Him!

Unseen work
14-06-2014, 04:03 PM
With all due respect to both players maybe they just aren't good enough.

I know for months there has been a urgency to get them in the team but, did they merit a place? Are the good enough? Was the only reason we wanted them in so much because our current full backs are poor? Their must be a reason butcher never gave them a chance as he have handling Stanton Cummings wtc all a opportunity as he thought they were ready

oconnors_strip
14-06-2014, 04:10 PM

But Gerard when we are letting go of a very good left back who is a diehard hibee it is making me wonder about this club

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Murdoch responded and asked if Hibs had pulled the plug on deal and he replied yes. I don't do twitter my laddie showed it to me.

Maybe Sean should be retweeting this to all the players who let the club down, relegated us, and thus meant good youngsters pay the price for their collective abject failure - rips my knitting these ex players now all suddenly having sly digs - the first team caused this.

steviehibsleith
14-06-2014, 04:16 PM
With all due respect to both players maybe they just aren't good enough.

I know for months there has been a urgency to get them in the team but, did they merit a place? Are the good enough? Was the only reason we wanted them in so much because our current full backs are poor? Their must be a reason butcher never gave them a chance as he have handling Stanton Cummings wtc all a opportunity as he thought they were ready
Exactly i hear both dont have the pace required, there was also comment made after they were knocked out the under 20s 5-1 of rangers stating they were all found out and could all get emptied.
too many on here were saying how great the under 20 s were doing well just go back and look at the teams - zoubir thomson OtJ cairney etc all starting , no wonder they were doing well.
i am sorry for all young men who have been dealt this bad news but as a club we need to start being ruthless.

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Maybe Sean should be retweeting this to all the players who let the club down, relegated us, and thus meant good youngsters pay the price for their collective abject failure - rips my knitting these ex players now all suddenly having sly digs - the first team caused this.

The first team, that was brought in by the managerial team, that was brought in by the board. The club have let these young players down and they have every right to feel aggrieved. They should be the last people to walk out the door, completely blameless for this mess. While the people who hold the bulk of the blame linger on

Heisenberg
14-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Really poor way to deal with these young guys. They are paying the price whilst Nelson and Mcgivern are still on the books :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
14-06-2014, 04:25 PM
No point enquiring to me because I don't have access to any of the information to be able to answer.

Understood. On a blackberry and meant to reply generally rather than picking on one post! Am watching you though :-)

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 04:28 PM
The first team, that was brought in by the managerial team, that was brought in by the board. The club have let these young players down and they have every right to feel aggrieved. They should be the last people to walk out the door, completely blameless for this mess. While the people who hold the bulk of the blame linger on

I agree, but my main point is the young promising talent, which this week apparently was 'our focus', are paying the price for a group of professionals who couldn't muster the energy and passion to win a game in the last 6 to secure safety, or defend a 2-0 lead at home - the players ALL are responsible.

Black will definitely make the grade and will be a top player.

silverhibee
14-06-2014, 04:30 PM
According himself on Twitter he's only just doing that now.

Cheers, don't have twitter so hard to find out what the lad is saying.

Gerard
14-06-2014, 04:34 PM
But Gerard when we are letting go of a very good left back who is a diehard hibee it is making me wonder about this club

That is one of the difficult decisions that are being made when our budget is being vastly reduced. LD has the financial knowledge of our position. I am very sorry to hear about this situation. If we want to keep these players the club needs money. This money comes at this time primarily from ST sales. I suggest that when the next WT meeting takes place that concerns of this nature are put on the agenda for discussion and clarification. I hope that all the players who are being released are able to find other clubs and be part of our great national game. We now see that being relegated is going to be painful. LD knows that this is a tough time and will do all that she can to make this transition period as free from pain and anxiety as possible. She has shown that she is a successful CEO when she was at Motherwell FC. Please let her make these tough decisions as they will in time see Hibs being promoted to the top flight of Scottish football and winning silverware. We are all part of the 'Hibernian Family' and OUR CLUB needs us all to work together at this time.

silverhibee
14-06-2014, 04:34 PM
If we are releasing guys like this over cash alone then maybe action now on the cash front might be better for the club than pledges to the Global Hibby threads which might or might not eventually develop into something that helps. Know it might not be popular but putting it out there..............

Then we are donald ducked and in a bigger mess than we think.

Deansy
14-06-2014, 04:35 PM
If McGivern & Nelson are ever picked to play one more game for us, this 'Fresh start' or 'Massive change' will have the same credibility as the '5 year plan'. If we can't sack them (could you honestly see that pair finding ANY evidence to support a claim for 'Unfair Dismissal' ??) then I would genuinely rather see Hibs just pay up their contracts. This decision re Ryan Baptie has Petrie's DNA all over it !!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Andy has deleted his tweet.

The Leith Dutch
14-06-2014, 04:53 PM
(could you honestly see that pair finding ANY evidence to support a claim for 'Unfair Dismissal' ??)

Unfortunately, they could.

However poor we may think they are it probably isn't into disciplinary territory - which in itself would require due process such as the required formal warnings and the accompanying opportunity to address the issues in the work place.

steviehibsleith
14-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Have heard they aint the only two have been released today which makes sense as they have been quoted as being good so surely the rest must be worried.

Gordy M
14-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Him!

If you have spoken to him, could you maybe put a bit of context around the circumstances? What stage was the contract at? Has he been told there will be no contract or a reduced one he wont sign? I appreciate you may not want to, if the conversation was in confidence? Cheers

AlbertK86
14-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Totally agree with posters saying it should be Nelson and McGivern going but unfortunately they are under contract.

The club will be trying to move them on during the transfer window so that they don't have to pay off their contracts

Harsh reality of the mess KING ROD and TB have made of our club getting when they got us relegated

Gerard
14-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Totally agree with posters saying it should be Nelson and McGivern going but unfortunately they are under contract.

The club will be trying to move them on during the transfer window so that they don't have to pay off their contracts

Harsh reality of the mess KING ROD and TB have made of our club getting when they got us relegated

Spot on. TB is no longer at our club. Being relegated is a S sandwich and many people are having to take a bite from it.

oconnors_strip
14-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Exactly i hear both dont have the pace required, there was also comment made after they were knocked out the under 20s 5-1 of rangers stating they were all found out and could all get emptied.
too many on here were saying how great the under 20 s were doing well just go back and look at the teams - zoubir thomson OtJ cairney etc all starting , no wonder they were doing well.
i am sorry for all young men who have been dealt this bad news but as a club we need to start being ruthless.

Go and look at the stats for this season, see how many times we had over age players start and how many times we won without them!

I'm glad I'm out tonight as got a feeling I would get banned from here

Oscar T Grouch
14-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Two good young full backs released, but don't worry it not like they're positions we've had problems with.........doh!

woodythehibee
14-06-2014, 05:26 PM
If he hasn't signed a contract then hibs can take away an offer of a contract if they like.

Golden Bear
14-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Two good young full backs released, but don't worry it not like they're positions we've had problems with.........doh!

I was really hoping that these young guys would solve the full back problem but it seems as though we're going to be stuck with Mcgivern & Co for yet another season.

TRIALIST
14-06-2014, 05:38 PM
The academy youth policy has been under scrutiny since Pat Fenlon raised a flag about the standard of kids being picked up. We have been picking up the wrong types for a while hence the scouting reshuffle and lack of boys capable of breaking into the first team or making the international squads.
Baptie falls into that category, hot and cold performances, inconsistent with only one foot. It was noticeable that the coaching team were shaking their heads at his performances.
Had an extended run in the team because the better left back was injured. My guess is that Butcher or Malpas told him he was staying and the academy have now reversed the decision. With every young player there is someone at their back, if they stop improving they get run over that's life.....natural selection. So rather than this being highlighted as some kind club folly it may prove to be a wrong righted.

Golden Bear
14-06-2014, 05:39 PM

The problems were in existence prior to the arrival of TB. The imbalance of the playing squad should have been addressed ages ago and one way of doing it was to promote youth.

The whole situation stinks.

Eyrie
14-06-2014, 05:39 PM
What concerns me about this is not the release of two promising youngsters, but the question of who is making the decision?

Surely this could wait until the new manager is appointed so that he can decide if he wants to keep any of the youngsters?

Billy Whizz
14-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Terrible news for the young lads who were being given contracts but now being let go. Heard a bit back that Baptie was offered a 2 year deal.
My thinking of these decisions, whether we agree with them or not, are financial. Our sole aim next season is to gain promotion, and every penny is needed to secure the best players for our budget. Although no one knows the facts, we will still be paying Butcher, and Malpas also if he's moved on, and then have to pay for a new coaching team.
Also George Craig has been around Hibs for a few months now, maybe he is having some sort of input on these.

GGTTH07
14-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Don't know if blacks been released.

Golden Bear
14-06-2014, 05:43 PM
The academy youth policy has been under scrutiny since Pat Fenlon raised a flag about the standard of kids being picked up. We have been picking up the wrong types for a while hence the scouting reshuffle and lack of boys capable of breaking into the first team or making the international squads.
Baptie falls into that category, hot and cold performances, inconsistent with only one foot. It was noticeable that the coaching team were shaking their heads at his performances.
Had an extended run in the team because the better left back was injured. My guess is that Butcher or Malpas told him he was staying and the academy have now reversed the decision. With every young player there is someone at their back, if they stop improving they get run over that's life.....natural selection. So rather than this being highlighted as some kind club folly it may prove to be a wrong righted.

Interesting post which portrays another angle on the situation. I've only seen a few of the Under 20's games but on each occasion the full back areas looked particularly strong.

The Leith Dutch
14-06-2014, 06:01 PM
What concerns me about this is not the release of two promising youngsters, but the question of who is making the decision?

Surely this could wait until the new manager is appointed so that he can decide if he wants to keep any of the youngsters?

Looking at the appointment of George Craig as Head of Football Operations and reading the statement Leeann Dempster put out regarding his position would suggest that they're looking for a manager of the First team and that decisions on youth football would not be in the manager's remit.

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 06:03 PM

:agree: The same applies to the first team players released.

frazeHFC
14-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Always used to come on here and read rave reviews about them. And now they are gone. Absolutely disgusting.

allezsauzee
14-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Shambolic

Unseen work
14-06-2014, 06:35 PM
As I previously said who was giving these the rave reviews?

I'm positive the majority on here are going by hear say and not actually seeing them play themselves. I think a lot just built up there actual ability as we were short on full backs. The fact butcher never gave them a chance makes me wonder how good they are.

Nothing against the lads but maybe there just not what were looking for right now

BVB Hibs
14-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Why are people surprised? LD told us players would be going because we had far too many. The players that are going to go are going to be U20's. Let's not forget the EOS team has been emptied, so what's the point of holding onto these players? Sure, they're held in high regard by some on here, but nobody knows whether they'd have made it. They couldn't break into an awful Hibs side last year. I'm not sure we'll be hearing of any of these guys coming back to bite us in the ass.

Yes, we still have McGivern and Nelson, but they're under contract and obviously nobody wants to take them off our hands. But if we're cutting players under contract we're better off cutting youth players we're not convinced will hurt us, and aren't ready for the first team. As awful as McGivern was this year, there's no doubt he's good enough for the Championship. We won't be able to let them go without compensation, so dropping two high earners and paying them off simply doesn't make financial sense.

theonlywayisup
14-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Odd decision, when we don't seem to have a management structure at the moment!

However, I do find it amusing that there is such a reaction, when I am sure 90% of those posting negative comments have probably never seen him play.

theonlywayisup
14-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Why are people surprised? LD told us players would be going because we had far too many. The players that are going to go are going to be U20's. Let's not forget the EOS team has been emptied, so what's the point of holding onto these players? Sure, they're held in high regard by some on here, but nobody knows whether they'd have made it. They couldn't break into an awful Hibs side last year. I'm not sure we'll be hearing of any of these guys coming back to bite us in the ass.

Yes, we still have McGivern and Nelson, but they're under contract and obviously nobody wants to take them off our hands. But if we're cutting players under contract we're better off cutting youth players we're not convinced will hurt us, and aren't ready for the first team. As awful as McGivern was this year, there's no doubt he's good enough for the Championship. We won't be able to let them go without compensation, so dropping two high earners and paying them off simply doesn't make financial sense.

California-Hibs
14-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Do people still not realise that there was always going to be major consequences for us getting relegated? It is/is going to continue to be, a major disaster for us!

Jonnyboy
14-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Not going to comment on the apparent release of Ryan and maybe Andy too because I don't know the full circumstances. What I will say is that both lads were first team material IMO and only because TB was floundering did they fail to make the first team squad

marinello59
14-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Interesting take on things. I've never seen the lad play so really have no idea how good he is.

theonlywayisup
14-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I think we should all remember the negative posts when Scott Smith was released. Where is he now? Just released from Dumbarton!

MyJo
14-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I think we should all remember the negative posts when Scott Smith was released. Where is he now? Just released from Dumbarton!

And Kurtis Byrne along with numerous others who have gone and haven't proved us wrong afterwards. The only one that I can think of that has done well after us has been Sean Welsh

Geo_1875
14-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Seems like a sensible decision to me. Why should we be offering new contracts to anybody when we don't have a football management structure in place. Surely it would be worse to have players contracted who need to be paid off if the new manager doesn't want them. Many on here have moaned about our many new managers wasting their budget rebuilding the squad and complaining about the standard of players we pick up. Surely it's better for the new guy to come in, have a look at what we have, decide who he wants, then spend the rest of his budget on players who will improve the team. I've no problem with waiting.

matty_f
14-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Do people still not realise that there was always going to be major consequences for us getting relegated? It is/is going to continue to be, a major disaster for us!

This is the reality of relegation. It's not all going to be sweetness and light for the club, there's probably more pain to come as we get ourselves sorted out.

The club has been plummeting on and off the field for a long time, and we need to balance the Championship reality with the Premiership ambitions. That means 'streamlining' the player pool, less is more for the time being. The harsh fact is that someone at the club, (and going by Dempster's comments at the meeting the coaches have had ideas in their heads about who to keep and who not to keep for a while now, that someone will have worked with the players in question), doesn't think they're good enough to hold down a first team spot and have us challenging for the title.

If that's the case, then letting them go is the difficult but right decision to make.

There will be many more unpopular decisions to come as Leeann and her team rebuild and shape the club the way that she wants it set up. It needs to happen, we consistently moan that things are pish at the club, yet as soon as the difficult decisions are made and actions are taken we are up in arms about it.

We are going to have to come to terms with the fact that if we want better we're going to have to be prepared to see good young laddies leave the club. I remember watching the U19's regularly when they won the double, at the end of the season seven of those players got contracts with Hibs. One player, Ollie Russell, played (IIRC) every match that season for Hibs, and wasn't one of the seven. He was devastated and I couldn't believe the decision, because he was a cracking wee player. I have no idea if Ollie still plays football now. The other seven were Kurtis Byrne (now in Ireland, I believe), Lee Currie (Berwick Rangers, I think), Paddy Deane (no idea if he is still in the game or not), Thomas Flynn (Raith?), Sean Welsh (Partick), Callum Booth (still at Hibs but has been on loan having not been able to hold down a first team place under consecutive managers), David Moyes (was at Berwick as well, I think?) and David Wotherspoon (now at St Johnstone).

This shows that players can be good at that level but not necessarily at the level that Hibs need them to be.

It's pish poor that we've offered a contract only to withdraw it, that must be heartbreaking for the boy, but it may just be the case of it being a necessary evil at this point.

If he's got complaints he needs to look at Butcher, Malpas, and the squad of players that took us down and ask them why Hibs haven't been able to keep him on.

Jonnyboy
14-06-2014, 07:35 PM
This is the reality of relegation. It's not all going to be sweetness and light for the club, there's probably more pain to come as we get ourselves sorted out.

The club has been plummeting on and off the field for a long time, and we need to balance the Championship reality with the Premiership ambitions. That means 'streamlining' the player pool, less is more for the time being. The harsh fact is that someone at the club, (and going by Dempster's comments at the meeting the coaches have had ideas in their heads about who to keep and who not to keep for a while now, that someone will have worked with the players in question), doesn't think they're good enough to hold down a first team spot and have us challenging for the title.

If that's the case, then letting them go is the difficult but right decision to make.

There will be many more unpopular decisions to come as Leeann and her team rebuild and shape the club the way that she wants it set up. It needs to happen, we consistently moan that things are pish at the club, yet as soon as the difficult decisions are made and actions are taken we are up in arms about it.

We are going to have to come to terms with the fact that if we want better we're going to have to be prepared to see good young laddies leave the club. I remember watching the U19's regularly when they won the double, at the end of the season seven of those players got contracts with Hibs. One player, Ollie Russell, played (IIRC) every match that season for Hibs, and wasn't one of the seven. He was devastated and I couldn't believe the decision, because he was a cracking wee player. I have no idea if Ollie still plays football now. The other seven were Kurtis Byrne (now in Ireland, I believe), Lee Currie (Berwick Rangers, I think), Paddy Deane (no idea if he is still in the game or not), Thomas Flynn (Raith?), Sean Welsh (Partick), Callum Booth (still at Hibs but has been on loan having not been able to hold down a first team place under consecutive managers), David Moyes (was at Berwick as well, I think?) and David Wotherspoon (now at St Johnstone).

This shows that players can be good at that level but not necessarily at the level that Hibs need them to be.

It's pish poor that we've offered a contract only to withdraw it, that must be heartbreaking for the boy, but it may just be the case of it being a necessary evil at this point.

If he's got complaints he needs to look at Butcher, Malpas, and the squad of players that took us down and ask them why Hibs haven't been able to keep him on.

Excellent summation Matty :agree:

For David, read Euan :greengrin

matty_f
14-06-2014, 07:43 PM

:faf: It's been a long day!

007 Mickey Weir
14-06-2014, 07:45 PM
So are we thinking LB we have Booth, McGiverin, Stevenson. Hopefully McGiverin moves on. But remember LD said she wants one first team player, a under 20 and under 17 player for each position. Maybe Baptie doesn't fit into any of those categories now.

But gutted for him. I actually fancied him and Black being our full backs. With Hanlon and a new CB in the middle.

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 07:48 PM

JB, they are the LAST two I would have released......Ryan Baptie, form wise, was head and shoulders above McGivern, and Andy Black would have made a huge difference at full back had he been given a sniff.

McGivern cost us goals and points last year......we played a centre half and an ageing Maybury at right back........when we had a hungry and talented right back pushing through.

This is a stupid and horrendous decision - incredibly incredibly short sighted in my opinion. And I base it on watching them both (as you know).

I'm all for streamlining......my streamlining approach would be to phone the agents of Nelson, Craig and McGivern and say 'do your job and get your guys out of here' !

tamig
14-06-2014, 07:48 PM

Spot on sir.

itslegaltender
14-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Hibs signed a laddie called Connor Duthie yesterday who was on Hearts books, but has been training with Hibs last couple of months, seems Celtic were sniffing about him so could be one for the future.

Begs the question who is making the decisions the now though.

Carheenlea
14-06-2014, 07:57 PM
If this cost cutting is resulting in our better prospects being released whilst retaining Nelson and the likes, we should maybe prepare ourselves into accepting that promotion back to the top flight might not be for some time yet.

Gerard
14-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Spot on sir.

Fair statement of our situation

Jonnyboy
14-06-2014, 07:59 PM
JB, they are the LAST two I would have released......Ryan Baptie, form wise, was head and shoulders above McGivern, and Andy Black would have made a huge difference at full back had he been given a sniff.

McGivern cost us goals and points last year......we played a centre half and an ageing Maybury at right back........when we had a hungry and talented right back pushing through.

This is a stupid and horrendous decision - incredibly incredibly short sighted in my opinion. And I base it on watching them both (as you know).

I'm all for streamlining......my streamlining approach would be to phone the agents of Nelson, Craig and McGivern and say 'do your job and get your guys out of here' !

If they've gone, I agree. First team material IMO :agree: I'd also like to get rid of McGivern and Nelson but that's a lot easier said than done unfortunately. It's painful watching kids get released, especially when they are so promising but TB told me, when I sat with him at the sponsors evening, that the playing squad was way too big and a major cutting exercise would be required. Possibly one of the few things he got right!

These two lads are excellent and I can't help but feel they should have been kept but had they, others would have been released in their place. It can only be a cost cutting exercise as letting two good players go is daft by any measure. I feel for Ryan and Andy, both of whom are excellent players and I wish them all the best for the future.

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 08:17 PM
If they've gone, I agree. First team material IMO :agree: I'd also like to get rid of McGivern and Nelson but that's a lot easier said than done unfortunately. It's painful watching kids get released, especially when they are so promising but TB told me, when I sat with him at the sponsors evening, that the playing squad was way too big and a major cutting exercise would be required. Possibly one of the few things he got right!

These two lads are excellent and I can't help but feel they should have been kept but had they, others would have been released in their place. It can only be a cost cutting exercise as letting two good players go is daft by any measure. I feel for Ryan and Andy, both of whom are excellent players and I wish them all the best for the future.

I just think it's bizarre if true - both will definitely get clubs.

As an aside, Dean Horribine I hear has offers from Livi and East Fife - he's another one that should feel hard done by, especially when you see the non existent midfield we had last season.

Good post by matty and yourself though JB :aok:

Gus Fring
14-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Ryan has deleted his earlier tweets and retweets. Damage is done now though.

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Hibs and all other clubs had social media inputs pre-season last year (part of a coordinated drive).......I'm still amazed that players use them and abuse them. The term abuse I mean to be not literally giving out abuse, but more being unprofessional.

I'm delighted Leeann Dempster raised it as an issue......it's been far too ignored in my opinion.

Players need to focus on the pitch and their job, not Twitter - Hibs players are awful for it.

Golden Bear
14-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Released or not released ? that is the question.

Jonnyboy
14-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Hibs and all other clubs had social media inputs pre-season last year (part of a coordinated drive).......I'm still amazed that players use them and abuse them. The term abuse I mean to be not literally giving out abuse, but more being unprofessional.

I'm delighted Leeann Dempster raised it as an issue......it's been far too ignored in my opinion.

Players need to focus on the pitch and their job, not Twitter - Hibs players are awful for it.

This 100% :agree:

stoneyburn hibs
14-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Never seen either player play but I will trust the judgement of the posters on here who have. On the face of it, it seems a bizarre decision given what we had to watch in defence last season.

easty
14-06-2014, 08:35 PM
As an aside, Dean Horribine I hear has offers from Livi and East Fife - he's another one that should feel hard done by, especially when you see the non existent midfield we had last season.

You have to say, though, if Livi and East Fife are the only offers he's getting....maybe Hibs were right to release him?

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 08:50 PM
You have to say, though, if Livi and East Fife are the only offers he's getting....maybe Hibs were right to release him?

He's had about 3 sub appearances for the club :rolleyes: the fact the both of those sides asked him to train within a day or 2 of his release speaks volumes.......you have to remember the amount of players that are out there.

I'll say this......if wee Deano had been playing instead of Liam Craig, we'd have seen energy, passion, desire and commitment.......it's all hypothetical now though.

Just out of interest easty (not arguing) have you seen DH play at all ?

Salisbury Hibby
14-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Absolutely. This is the time when we need to be single minded and concentrate everything on the next season. Unfortunately some under 20s will have to go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

easty
14-06-2014, 08:53 PM
He's had about 3 sub appearances for the club :rolleyes: the fact the both of those sides asked him to train within a day or 2 of his release speaks volumes.......you have to remember the amount of players that are out there.

I'll say this......if wee Deano had been playing instead of Liam Craig, we'd have seen energy, passion, desire and commitment.......it's all hypothetical now though.

Just out of interest easty (not arguing) have you seen DH play at all ?

Nah, I haven't seen him play. I'm not saying he's a bad player either. But, players usually end up playing at their level.

truehibernian
14-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Nah, I haven't seen him play. I'm not saying he's a bad player either. But, players usually end up playing at their level.

True, there is a natural order at times in football.......but Jay Rodriguez played for Stirling Albion a few years ago and last year got an England cap. Football is wonderfully bizarre yet if you work hard you get rewards......Dean will get rewards as he works hard and is a good footballer. Not saying for one minute he is that class, but he could and should have walked into our midfield tail end of the season. Easily.

easty
14-06-2014, 09:08 PM
True, there is a natural order at times in football.......but Jay Rodriguez played for Stirling Albion a few years ago and last year got an England cap. Football is wonderfully bizarre yet if you work hard you get rewards......Dean will get rewards as he works hard and is a good footballer. Not saying for one minute he is that class, but he could and should have walked into our midfield tail end of the season. Easily.

I'll take your word for it mate. And you're right, some players drop down the levels then work back up, and you see, for example the players Dundee Utd have picked up from the lower leagues, that young players from lower leagues can be picked up and make it at SPL.

Over the last X years, we've released a number of players at the end of the season who people have thought should have been playing in the first team. I can't think of any that have gone on to prove that they should have though (Scougal maybe, but I don't even remember folk talking about him being a big talent when we had him).

I genuinely wish the young lads that get emptied from Hibs all the best.

Unseen work
14-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Hibs signed a laddie called Connor Duthie yesterday who was on Hearts books, but has been training with Hibs last couple of months, seems Celtic were sniffing about him so could be one for the future.

yes hes been playing for 20s and eos. Only 16

Turkish Green
14-06-2014, 09:18 PM
As I have posted on a earlier thread, I have been watching Ryan since U13s. He was an outstanding LB, but back then he was a big laddie that dominated his opposite winger. As he's gotten older, the opposition grew and he was not as dominant.

I am still shocked that he has been released, but I can see few of the U20s being retained due to cost cutting reasons. I hope they all get picked up somewhere.

Unseen work
14-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Really wish people would stop saying they should get a game and be in the first team as mcgivern and nelson are terrible.

Mcgivern and nelson are both first team players who are under contract. Once we get a manager he will then decide if he thinks they are upto the standard required. Imo nelson will be punted but mcgivern kept on.

It doesnt matter who you try compare them to, if theyre good enough and showed enough promise then they would of been kept on.

Like iv said butcher wasnt short of giving youngsters a try or singling them out for praise, however these were 2 names hes never mentioned or talked about

tamig
14-06-2014, 09:20 PM
If this cost cutting is resulting in our better prospects being released whilst retaining Nelson and the likes, we should maybe prepare ourselves into accepting that promotion back to the top flight might not be for some time yet.

I've replied about this on another thread. It costs money to get rid of a player under contract. Do you know that these guys are some of our best prospects with a real chance of making it to the first team?

Carheenlea
14-06-2014, 11:18 PM
I've replied about this on another thread. It costs money to get rid of a player under contract. Do you know that these guys are some of our best prospects with a real chance of making it to the first team?

I`ve seen the 20`s/EOS four times this season and they both looked good to me.

How much is it going to cost us if we are stuck in the championship for a few years? What kind of team we are going to be watching next season is anyone's guess if our finances are in such a state as a result of relegation.

Forza Fred
15-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the consequences of relegation.

Unpopular decisions.

There were, and possibly still are, those that think that the only real change as result of relegation is that we will play in a lower division, get a new manager and we'll be back up next season.

If only it were that easy

A lot more people will find themselves without a job .....although may not attain the same levels of publicity.

Strap yourself in for a rocky ride

truehibernian
15-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Really wish people would stop saying they should get a game and be in the first team as mcgivern and nelson are terrible.

Mcgivern and nelson are both first team players who are under contract. Once we get a manager he will then decide if he thinks they are upto the standard required. Imo nelson will be punted but mcgivern kept on.

It doesnt matter who you try compare them to, if theyre good enough and showed enough promise then they would of been kept on.

Like iv said butcher wasnt short of giving youngsters a try or singling them out for praise, however these were 2 names hes never mentioned or talked about

How often did you watch the U20's ? And how often did you watch the first team ?

If you truly watched both, Black would have been right back from around the Ross County away game........Baptie would have been in before that.

Watch the goals we conceded when McGivern returned from injury........he was responsible for most of them.

I don't think you watch a lot of football mate, certainly not the youth teams.

GGTTH07
15-06-2014, 03:12 AM

Connor has been at hibs for a while and I'll not even repeat why hearts let him go.

Cameron1875
15-06-2014, 04:12 AM
If Mcgivern and Nelson are still at the club on the 1st game of next season and even dream of playing a long ball.....

Honestly don't know what I'd do but the atmosphere will be utterly poisonous. Surely to christ someone will want to sign that pair?

Unseen work
15-06-2014, 04:45 AM
How often did you watch the U20's ? And how often did you watch the first team ?

If you truly watched both, Black would have been right back from around the Ross County away game........Baptie would have been in before that.

Watch the goals we conceded when McGivern returned from injury........he was responsible for most of them.

I don't think you watch a lot of football mate, certainly not the youth teams.

i can assure you i watch plenty of football. As i said i havent seen baptie and black play alot thats why i wasnt saying if i thought they were good.

My opinion is that if they were good enough they would of got a chance like cummings and stanton did. I never heard anyone speak about any of these players in a positive way, mostly was baptie struggled defensively and baptie was just full of energy, none particulary great defending or strong enough. Until our defenders form dipped then suddenly people looked at the reserve list and went oh these 2 guys are brilliant.

My point was that just because nelson and mcgivern were playing poor, that doesnt mean that the youngsters are good enough.

My opinion based on mcgivern was he was really good the first season but since his injury he has been very poor, nelson was good with hanlon for a couple of games but iv said on many occaisions he is not my type of defender at all, i prefer mine mobile and able to play football.

Your comments about me are as if i said mcgivern and nelson are terrific player and these 2 young lads are terrible. Im just simply trying to make reason of the current situation and why they have been released.

We are now a championship team and have to cut costs, alot of youngsters leave every year and people are upset but after 2 weeks they are forgotten. Mcgivern and nelson are different as they are under contract and leanne dempster has made it clear the manager will get the say in that.

You can carry on trying to belittle everyone now

Deansy
15-06-2014, 05:27 AM
How many directors are being released ?

Forza Fred
15-06-2014, 07:45 AM
How many directors are being released ?

Good question.

I can think of one we would all agree should go.....

calumhibee1
15-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Connor has been at hibs for a while and I'll not even repeat why hearts let him go.

Get it telt...

Iggy Pope
15-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I watched plenty of the U20s last season and I am sorry to say, I never caught the hype on here about Ryan Baptie and I said so on a couple of updates.

Lovely touch yes. But positioning was suspect, tackling often suspect and he blew out of his arse a lot. Needed a lot of work before a first team place I think. If he was ready, he would have been in.

clerriehibs
15-06-2014, 08:59 AM

The club's a joke. And you want us to carry on as normal and keeo sweeping all the pish emanating from the club right back under the carpet. Brilliant.

In what way was the boy "slagging the club off"? Or did you just make that up?

blackpoolhibs
15-06-2014, 09:04 AM

Butcher never knew his arse from his elbow, Bobby Williamson never thought Scott Brown was good enough to play in the first team when he did, and only played him because there was nobody else.

3pm
15-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Butcher never knew his arse from his elbow, Bobby Williamson never thought Scott Brown was good enough to play in the first team when he did, and only played him because there was nobody else.

Also the case with Thomson!

neil7908
15-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I've never seen either Black or Baptie play so I cant comment on whether they should have been kept on - time will tell on that front I suppose.

The question at the moment though is who has made this call? Butcher was allowed to empty all the out of contract players as he was still in the job at that point and presumably was under the impression he would be continuing. But this has clearly been done without a manager at the club. That is what concerns me the most - could we not have waited until the end of the week when we are supposed to have the new man in place and let them have a look at the squad?

frazeHFC
15-06-2014, 10:02 AM
As I previously said who was giving these the rave reviews?

I'm positive the majority on here are going by hear say and not actually seeing them play themselves. I think a lot just built up there actual ability as we were short on full backs. The fact butcher never gave them a chance makes me wonder how good they are.

Nothing against the lads but maybe there just not what were looking for right now

The coaching staff and regulars on here who go to youth matches.

.Sean.
15-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Well why even say that then?

Greenworld
15-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Head of youth I would imagine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

TowerHibs
15-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Don't yet why everyone is so up in arms about this. Kids get released all the time. Yes kids with potential and kids who look good but we have been relegated and if they could not make the break through now then we will use the money elsewhere. Rest assured there will be another kid with potential right behind them.some people getting their knickers in a twist have probably never seen them play yet calling the club a disgrace.

I was released by 2 SPL clubs back around 10 years ago and there were far better players than me, black and Baptise who were released. Difference is, noone knew about it because we didn't have twitter to tell the world.

I would also suggest that the under 20 manager has some input into this.

J-C
15-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Don't yet why everyone is so up in arms about this. Kids get released all the time. Yes kids with potential and kids who look good but we have been relegated and if they could not make the break through now then we will use the money elsewhere. Rest assured there will be another kid with potential right behind them.some people getting their knickers in a twist have probably never seen them play yet calling the club a disgrace.

I was released by 2 SPL clubs back around 10 years ago and there were far better players than me, black and Baptise who were released. Difference is, noone knew about it because we didn't have twitter to tell the world.

I would also suggest that the under 20 manager has some input into this.

We've also just appointed George Craig as Head of Football Operations who can oversee the ins and outs at youth level.

TowerHibs
15-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I watched plenty of the U20s last season and I am sorry to say, I never caught the hype on here about Ryan Baptie and I said so on a couple of updates.

Lovely touch yes. But positioning was suspect, tackling often suspect and he blew out of his arse a lot. Needed a lot of work before a first team place I think. If he was ready, he would have been in.

I agree having seen the u 20 s a few times. Harsh reality is that if your not getting 1st team game time at 19/20 year old then you are always on a shoogly peg as there will be another 19/20 year old with potential the next year.

people were up in arms when Damon grey and a couple others were released a few years back (want to say Bryne but think that's wrong) and those were the right decisions. Unfortunately as a youth to break through, you need to be much better than what's already there and then the attitude to keep improving. I would argue that if Baptise is on twitter mouthing off then the decision may prove to be right

Turkish Green
15-06-2014, 12:04 PM
If McGivern and Nelson are still at the club and furthermore start the first game of the season then this clearly demonstrates the intent for the way forward.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

PETRIE OOT

ballengeich
15-06-2014, 12:13 PM
If McGivern and Nelson are still at the club and furthermore start the first game of the season then this clearly demonstrates the intent for the way forward.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

PETRIE OOT

How would you get them to go? They'll only leave if they find another club willing to match or better our pay. If they're still here then we might as well use them. At championship level they'll be adequate.

The Leith Dutch
15-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Couldn't agree more.
I think much the same about them drinking - at least during the season.

I'm sure players will argue about their rights or the fact that it's not on club time but that doesn't wash for me.

While in the context of football we're paying among the smaller salaries the fact remains that we pay players a lot of money when you consider the average salary and their age and I think we have a right to expect and demand more of those we employ.

The fact that Ryan McGivern, an international player, who I'd assume is on 4 figures a week thinks it's OK to go out and get p***ed of a weekend is unacceptable.
These guys are athletes and were they to take their profession as an athlete seriously they wouldn't drink.

If you want to dick around on Twitter and go out on the lash I'd be more than happy for us as a club to say no thanks.

scoopyboy
15-06-2014, 12:41 PM
How would you get them to go? They'll only leave if they find another club willing to match or better our pay. If they're still here then we might as well use them. At championship level they'll be adequate.

100% correct.

It's amazing how many people think you just say cheerio to get them off the books.

Lago
15-06-2014, 02:08 PM
100% correct.

It's amazing how many people think you just say cheerio to get them off the books.

Spot on. Also whether we believe it or not the players under contract may well have some value to the club. It would be silly to pat them on the head & tell them to go.

Baldy Foghorn
15-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Having endured McGivern and Nelson every time they played, I'm not sure they would be adequate at any level......Really don't want to see either of them wearing the famous jersey again.....

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Having endured McGivern and Nelson every time they played, I'm not sure they would be adequate at any level......Really don't want to see either of them wearing the famous jersey again.....

They will be given a 2nd chance to impress the new manager.

Baldy Foghorn
15-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Let's hope the new manager sees them for what they are then....

Turkish Green
15-06-2014, 02:46 PM

So you are saying that LD's new dawn needs to include McGivern and Nelson for no other reason than they cannot find another club?

Adequate? I don't believe so. But maybe it was just Butcher that made their play minging. We shall see.

Fat Penlon
15-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Or in stevensons case an 8th chance lets just hope the next manager realises effort shouldn't be the only attribute you need to wear a hibs jersey or he'll lose his job as well.

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Totally agree, there should be no 2nd chance for these losers and by giving them one won't encourage folk to renew ST.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-chief-dempster-insists-hibee-3698068

Eyrie
15-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Or in stevensons case an 8th chance lets just hope the next manager realises effort shouldn't be the only attribute you need to wear a hibs jersey or he'll lose his job as well.

So seven (nice number that) managers thought that Stevenson could do a good job for Hibs. Number eight may differ, but realistically it'll be hard to find better whilst we're in the "champion"ship so you'll just have to suffer Stevenson continuing to play well for us.

ballengeich
15-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Spot on. Also whether we believe it or not the players under contract may well have some value to the club. It would be silly to pat them on the head & tell them to go.

I agree. Our relegation had more to do with attacking deficiencies than with a defence which conceded fewer goals than six of the other eleven premier clubs, though it did deteriorate after Hanlon's injury, so scapegoating a couple of individual defenders doesn't get to the root of our problems.

Also, if a new manager can't get the remaining under contract players playing better (say by getting midfield players to move into positions which give the defenders an obvious pass to make) we might as well have saved ourselves some money by keeping Butcher on. A number of the players performed well short of their potential last season. Under a new boss at least some of them should improve.

Fat Penlon
So seven (nice number that) managers thought that Stevenson could do a good job for Hibs. Number eight may differ, but realistically it'll be hard to find better whilst we're in the "champion"ship so you'll just have to suffer Stevenson continuing to play well for us.

Your post sums up hibs in the last 7/8 years. Mediocrity is all to acceptable in our club these days I'm afraid. We will never be able to compete with that attitude.

hibee92
Euan Smith too? Sorry if it's been talked about I haven't went through the whole thread.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000576045415/defaf324504fa8ad0a1c3e76f9eeeb24_normal.jpegEuan Smith @EuanSmith16 (https://twitter.com/EuanSmith16) · 2m (https://twitter.com/EuanSmith16/status/478191412560031744)

Absolute joke https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f610.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f44e.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/26bd.png

Ringothedog
15-06-2014, 03:20 PM
I agree having seen the u 20 s a few times. Harsh reality is that if your not getting 1st team game time at 19/20 year old then you are always on a shoogly peg as there will be another 19/20 year old with potential the next year.

people were up in arms when Damon grey and a couple others were released a few years back (want to say Bryne but think that's wrong) and those were the right decisions. Unfortunately as a youth to break through, you need to be much better than what's already there and then the attitude to keep improving. I would argue that if Baptise is on twitter mouthing off then the decision may prove to be right

I agree he was an average player who was playing at a poor level. His positioning as a full back was suspect to say the least. He only looked good as the opposition players got tired more quickly especially in the second half of the game. I am sorry that he has been released but we have to be setting our sights higher than players of his quality.

Our under 20's should have won every game they played at EOS level but didn't. They were full time playing for a premiership team against players who were the equivalent of 6 divisions below them. Our club has to decide which players it will promote to the U20' s from the lower age groups. This means players will be released. Those are the hard facts of football life.

15-06-2014, 03:22 PM

I like Stevenson and I think he gets a lot of unfair stick. He's not a great player by any means but he gives absolutely everything everytime he plays, unlike many others he looks like he actually cares about the club and IMO will do well with us next season in the championship.

emerald green
15-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Couldn't agree more.
I think much the same about them drinking - at least during the season.

I'm sure players will argue about their rights or the fact that it's not on club time but that doesn't wash for me.

While in the context of football we're paying among the smaller salaries the fact remains that we pay players a lot of money when you consider the average salary and their age and I think we have a right to expect and demand more of those we employ.

The fact that Ryan McGivern, an international player, who I'd assume is on 4 figures a week thinks it's OK to go out and get p***ed of a weekend is unacceptable.
These guys are athletes and were they to take their profession as an athlete seriously they wouldn't drink.

If you want to dick around on Twitter and go out on the lash I'd be more than happy for us as a club to say no thanks.

:agree: Totally agree with this. Is there no such thing as a code of conduct at Hibernian FC? Or even some sort of guidelines by which the club expects its employees / players to abide by? Is that too much to ask?

Fat Penlon
15-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I like Stevenson and I think he gets a lot of unfair stick. He's not a great player by any means but he gives absolutely everything everytime he plays, unlike many others he looks like he actually cares about the club and IMO will do well with us next season in the championship.

We are all entitled to our opinion that's the beauty of football I just find it sad that you can get a game for hibs these days and be seen as a success as long as you give 100% effort? Surely we should expect more than that from players if we want to realise our potential as a club?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Is young Euan Smith away too?

Turkish Green
15-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Is young Euan Smith away too?
i believe so. He was always going to struggle as he was born in 1994 and therefore was too old to stay at U20 for next season, anyway. Therefore, the players too old to stay at U20 were likely to be the first to be axed. As it is most have been shown the East Mains door.

it was always questionable what benefit young lads got playing against amateurs in the EOS, anyway.

It very much looks like Hibs are doing away with the lads born in 1994/1995/1996 as a cost cutting exercise and concentrating on bringing on the younger U17s in conjunction with The Spartans.

15-06-2014, 05:32 PM
We are all entitled to our opinion that's the beauty of football I just find it sad that you can get a game for hibs these days and be seen as a success as long as you give 100% effort? Surely we should expect more than that from players if we want to realise our potential as a club?

I'm not saying he's a success just based on the effort he puts in but what I meant was that he is far from the worst player in the team yet seemed to be one of the ones getting the most stick IMO. He has more heart, more fight and cares for the club, hell of a lot more than what can be said for most of the gutless imposters in our team last season.

I think he will be a decent player for us in the championship.

Future17
15-06-2014, 05:37 PM
i believe so. He was always going to struggle as he was born in 1994 and therefore was too old to stay at U20 for next season, anyway. Therefore, the players too old to stay at U20 were likely to be the first to be axed. As it is most have been shown the East Mains door.

it was always questionable what benefit young lads got playing against amateurs in the EOS, anyway.

It very much looks like Hibs are doing away with the lads born in 1994/1995/1996 as a cost cutting exercise and concentrating on bringing on the younger U17s in conjunction with The Spartans.

Out of interest, in what way do you think it's questionable?

Fat Penlon
15-06-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm not saying he's a success just based on the effort he puts in but what I meant was that he is far from the worst player in the team yet seemed to be one of the ones getting the most stick IMO. He has more heart, more fight and cares for the club, hell of a lot more than what can be said for most of the gutless imposters in our team last season.

I think he will be a decent player for us in the championship.

Why will he be decent for us this season? Because it's a lower level? He didn't stand out against raith or Hamilton this season when we played them? What kind of player is Stevenson? What does he bring to the team? He isn't a great passer of the ball, he isn't a great tackler, he isn't a pacey wingback who puts in good crosses, he isn't creative, but because he gives 100% so he should be a starter in the championship?

I don't hate the lad by the way and I agree he always gives his all but he simply isn't a good footballer IMHO. It's consistently playing players like him week in week out that has caused our football team to lose its identity.

Jonnyboy
15-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Why will he be decent for us this season? Because it's a lower level? He didn't stand out against raith or Hamilton this season when we played them? What kind of player is Stevenson? What does he bring to the team? He isn't a great passer of the ball, he isn't a great tackler, he isn't a pacey wingback who puts in good crosses, he isn't creative, but because he gives 100% so he should be a starter in the championship?

I don't hate the lad by the way and I agree he always gives his all but he simply isn't a good footballer IMHO. It's consistently playing players like him week in week out that has caused our football team to lose its identity.

He does all of those things pretty well and despite your protests to the contrary you clearly don't rate him. That's fine but it doesn't make you right :wink:

Turkish Green
15-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Out of interest, in what way do you think it's questionable?

The moot point was whether the U20s would gain more experience playing against the U20s of the other SPFL pro-youths or by joining Div 2 of the EOS and playing against the likes of Kelso, Duns and Burntisland Shipyard.

Sure they won Div 2 and the league cup and Jason Cummings came out of it but what else did it achieve? Nothing, if the U20s were pulled out of the EOS back in May before the club was relegated from the SPL.

Eyrie
15-06-2014, 06:32 PM

I'd like better players than Stevenson at the club, but the fact is that he continues to be one of our better players. That may say more about the standard of team mate that he has had to play with, but it also indicates that there are plenty of other players to be upgraded before you can pick on Stevenson.

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 06:34 PM
He does all of those things pretty well and despite your protests to the contrary you clearly don't rate him. That's fine but it doesn't make you right :wink:

Is Lewis one of the players who has been told he can leave the club J.?

Jonnyboy
15-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I'd like better players than Stevenson at the club, but the fact is that he continues to be one of our better players. That may say more about the standard of team mate that he has had to play with, but it also indicates that there are plenty of other players to be upgraded before you can pick on Stevenson.

This 100%

Is Lewis one of the players who has been told he can leave the club J.?

Dunno P, I thought they all were!

silverhibee
15-06-2014, 09:32 PM
This 100%

Dunno P, I thought they all were!

Was next season to be Lewis's testimonial year. ?

Jonnyboy
15-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Was next season to be Lewis's testimonial year. ?

Seems likely. Ten years at the club AFAIK :agree:

Beefster
16-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Never seen either player play but I will trust the judgement of the posters on here who have. On the face of it, it seems a bizarre decision given what we had to watch in defence last season.

It might be an idea to trust the judgement of the people being paid to make these decisions. I sit near a guy at the games, he attends every home game at least but still doesn't have the foggiest about what makes a player decent or pish.

Well why even say that then?

To stir up a little bit of **** and get the rumours started. Tarnishing the guy before he gets a chance is a bonus.

Let's hope that, if the new manager decides to keep them, folk don't write the manager off within a fortnight.

The Leith Dutch
16-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Let's hope that, if the new manager decides to keep them, folk don't write the manager off within a fortnight.

A fortnight? If we haven't won the Champions League by early September he's not Hibs class and we need to empty him :greengrin

AlbertK86
16-06-2014, 09:07 AM
There was talkn another thread maybe private members board that Baptie and possibly Black had received their contract offers to sign but were holding off to see if they got better offers. Two weeks later they have not signed and returned them.

If this is the case then club quite right to move them on

Have either of them featured for national set up at any age

There are loads of excellent young full backs knocking about the Edinburgh leagues that could come in and do a job

Paloschi
16-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Goes against LD's vision for Hibs.

Promising young player not being valued and kept on. hmmmm