PDA

View Full Version : Remind me why football doesn't use TV to get decisions right?

Hibbyradge
13-06-2014, 04:42 PM
1 and 1/2 games played in the World Cup so far and we've already had 4 very bad calls.

Sergey
13-06-2014, 04:44 PM
1 and 1/2 games played in the World Cup so far and we've already had 4 very bad calls.

There was four howlers in last night's game alone - and two so far tonight.

Pretty Boy
13-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Absolute joke. The 1st offisde decision was terrible, linesman is right in line amd he's a yard onside, 2nd one is just beyond belief.

These are supposed to be the best refs in the business and they are shocking. What chance do thos of us stuck with Craig Thomson and the like have?

Baader
13-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Shocking. They are both howlers.

Football needs to sort itself out - with corruption from the very top (criminal organisation like FIFA) who knows what's just an 'honest mistake' these days.

SanFranHibs
13-06-2014, 05:01 PM

But then how can FIFA ensure that the teams they want to progress do?

:wink:

iwasthere1972
13-06-2014, 05:06 PM

They do it in rugby and the decision in football would be made much quicker. All this money spent on goal line technology which is very rarely used could be better spent.

Saying that if England are cheated out of another dead cert goal then I won't have a problem with it. :aok:

Keith_M
13-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Mexico should be 2-0 up at Half-Time. They have a right to be raging.

The Croat Manager was reported here in Germany as having been on the verge of going home after last night's match.

Jones28
13-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Because the people in charge are corrupt dinosaurs who look to line their pockets before improving the game that they are paid to improve.

Heard on ITV that Beckenbaur (sp) has refused to comply with the investigation into fifa and as such has been banned for 90 days. If he had nothing to hide then why wouldn't he comply?

The Leith Dutch
14-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Mexico should be 2-0 up at Half-Time. They have a right to be raging.

The Croat Manager was reported here in Germany as having been on the verge of going home after last night's match.

Have to say I didn't see the offsides due to being on a train but assuming the two Croatian decisions are Neymar's hands being up and the penalty?

Didn't look much in the Neymar hands incident and I thought a yellow was fair enough. Would have been a harsh sending off.
The penalty wasn't one but grabbing someone's sleeve in the box - regardless of it not being enough to unbalance the guy - is inviting trouble.

For me the Spanish one last night wasn't a penalty either - I don't think Costa's foot goes where it goes if his sole aim is keeping his balance.
That said I never played football other than a kick around in the meadows - and that was 20 years ago and I was never any good :)

The big concern with TV replays is that, unlike a lot of other sports, there isn't the obvious stopping of play in football so it would break up the game.

I'd like to see them go with penalties having to be claimed rather than awarded.
Up to the player that goes down whether to make a claim or not and if they do the game stops for the TV review.
But once you've made a claim it should be either a penalty or a booking for diving.

Hopefully you'd get a lot fewer attempts to con the referee.

Turkish Green
14-06-2014, 10:45 AM
The argument from FIFA has always been that it would slow the flow of the game and it cannot be adopted through the various layers of football.

Well any refereeing decision now in the professional game takes forever due to players surrounding the ref and demonstrating. For top level games, if it is a foul and the game has stopped anyway, then why not go upstairs to the video refs. It would only not be used where the game continues or the ref and signaled play-on.

Video evidence is not used in rugby for things like forward passes as this would depend on the camera angle. But it can work in football for judging offside when the ball has ended up in the net. But not if the ref has already blown for the offside decision based on the assistant's flag and the game has stopped.

Also like in rugby league where if there is a bad tackle missed by the referee but picked up on video then the player goes on report and the tackle is reviewed by a panel the following week.

Technology is so advanced these days that FIFA needs to consider it.

As has been demonstrated in the games so far, penalties should go to video refs. It is clear that the referees are intimidated by the crowd. The Naymar elbow would have been a red card if it had been done to him. The Japanese official was weak.

JustSimplyHibs
14-06-2014, 10:49 AM

IMO... Because it will take away loads ay debates, discussions and banter that fills our daily lives.

An for that reason - It's a no to technology from me!!!!!!

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 10:51 AM
I would hate football to rely too heavily on technology, keep it in real time for me.

Bristolhibby
14-06-2014, 11:37 AM
The argument from FIFA has always been that it would slow the flow of the game and it cannot be adopted through the various layers of football.

Well any refereeing decision now in the professional game takes forever due to players surrounding the ref and demonstrating. For top level games, if it is a foul and the game has stopped anyway, then why not go upstairs to the video refs. It would only not be used where the game continues or the ref and signaled play-on.

Video evidence is not used in rugby for things like forward passes as this would depend on the camera angle. But it can work in football for judging offside when the ball has ended up in the net. But not if the ref has already blown for the offside decision based on the assistant's flag and the game has stopped.

Also like in rugby league where if there is a bad tackle missed by the referee but picked up on video then the player goes on report and the tackle is reviewed by a panel the following week.

As has been demonstrated in the games so far, penalties should go to video refs. It is clear that the referees are intimidated by the crowd. The Naymar elbow would have been a red card if it had been done to him. The Japanese official was weak.

Actually regarding Rugby the video ref is used if a try is scored and the ref (or video ref) believes that in the build up a player was off side, a pass was forward, or a defender was obstructed or taken out in the lead in.

Controversially this happened in the English Premier final.

"Then came a moment of controversy when Farrell had a try chalked off as, after referee JP Doyle had awarded the score, the TMO highlighted a forward pass in the build-up."

In this case the TMO spotted a forward pass and alerted the ref (first time this had been done in England).

I'm all for it. We don't live in 1890. We have the technology and the money at stake is massive. Let's use it.

J

hibbytam
14-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I dont understand why an official can't be watching the live feed, and advising the ref in the same manner that the linesmen do, speaking directly through the earpiece. This shouldn't slow the pace of the game down at all, and the ref would have the final say. It wouldn't get rid of controversial decisions, as many of these are down to interpretation, but it would help get rid of the most extreme examples.

Keith_M
14-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I would hate football to rely too heavily on technology, keep it in real time for me.

How would you feel if England had two perfectly good goals chalked off, like Mexico?

Watching on TV, they had a replay in seconds whereby it was proved there was no offside and no infringement at the corner kick. I think it would have been much fairer if Mexico had been allowed to challenge some decisions then put it to a 4th official in the Stand, who could check the TV evidence. If the evidence was clear cut, the decisions could be overturned instantly. If it is not clear from the TV evidence, then they go with the Refs decision.

heretoday
14-06-2014, 12:03 PM
2 big games and 2 dodgy penalties already. There will be more for sure before the tournament is over.

We have goalline technology in place and we have the invisible spray in use for free kick walls.

Why not have reviews of penalty decisions and really do something positive to sort out the cheats and useless referees?

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 12:24 PM
How would you feel if England had two perfectly good goals chalked off, like Mexico?

Watching on TV, they had a replay in seconds whereby it was proved there was no offside and no infringement at the corner kick. I think it would have been much fairer if Mexico had been allowed to challenge some decisions then put it to a 4th official in the Stand, who could check the TV evidence. If the evidence was clear cut, the decisions could be overturned instantly. If it is not clear from the TV evidence, then they go with the Refs decision.

Like Lampard's goal against Germany in 2010. Pretty pissed off at the time, but then I got over it pretty quickly. I understand the arguments for technology to be used but it's just not for me, part and parcel of football at every level is decision making, call me a dinosaur if you like :greengrin

I would much rather the rules were looked at with regard to obstructing a player in order to shepherd a ball out of play, consistent interpretation of a foul no matter where it is committed, some of the penalty box set piece defending tactics are unbelievable etc etc

Irish_Steve
14-06-2014, 12:30 PM
I do love the way they are using the goal line technology tho - some close calls on the play- backs they have shown so far

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 12:42 PM
They wouldn't be able to give dodgy decisions anymore with video to keep them right.

PeeJay
14-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Because the people in charge are corrupt dinosaurs who look to line their pockets before improving the game that they are paid to improve.

Heard on ITV that Beckenbaur (sp) has refused to comply with the investigation into fifa and as such has been banned for 90 days. If he had nothing to hide then why wouldn't he comply?

Beckenbauer refused to comply because the questions put to him were in English legalese apparently ... although he was offered the services of an interpreter/translator, he declined that too. The Kaiser voted for Russia and for Quatar before resigning his FIFA mandate to "allegedly" take advantage of Russian (Russian Gas Society) and Quatar business contacts/opportunities. Seems to me he has always had something to hide - ever since the CSU party in Bayern managed to sort out his tax problems a wee while ago courtesy of Franz Josef Straus - mind you he is highly thought of here in Germany, well in Bayern mainly - not quite the same thing, really ... :greengrin

Gordy M
14-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Part of the issue is that it could only be used for decisions that are 'technical' like whether a player is offside or ball over the line, other decisions are still a matter of opinion and video MAY not help that. Yest there was a ball hammered against the defenders hand in the box, no pen was given(rightly in my view) however i have seen them given in the past? What if the ref on the park and the one in the stand disagree?? What happens then?

Keith_M
14-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Beckenbauer refused to comply because the questions put to him were in English legalese apparently ... although he was offered the services of an interpreter/translator, he declined that too. The Kaiser voted for Russia and for Quatar before resigning his FIFA mandate to "allegedly" take advantage of Russian (Russian Gas Society) and Quatar business contacts/opportunities. Seems to me he has always had something to hide - ever since the CSU party in Bayern managed to sort out his tax problems a wee while ago courtesy of Franz Josef Straus - mind you he is highly thought of here in Germany, well in Bayern mainly - not quite the same thing, really ... :greengrin

As you are well aware, Peejay, Civilisation practically ends at the the Weißwurstäquator (though I'm not saying from which direction)

hibbytam
14-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Part of the issue is that it could only be used for decisions that are 'technical' like whether a player is offside or ball over the line, other decisions are still a matter of opinion and video MAY not help that. Yest there was a ball hammered against the defenders hand in the box, no pen was given(rightly in my view) however i have seen them given in the past? What if the ref on the park and the one in the stand disagree?? What happens then?

What happens when the linesman and ref disagree?

SunshineOnLeith
14-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Where to start?

"Well any refereeing decision now in the professional game takes forever due to players surrounding the ref and demonstrating. For top level games, if it is a foul and the game has stopped anyway, then why not go upstairs to the video refs. It would only not be used where the game continues or the ref and signaled play-on. "

Because whether or not something constitutes a foul or not is always subjective. For example Spain's penalty, does Costa move his foot towards the defender or is it a foul? There's always a degree of human decision making involved whether it's live or on a screen.

Also, you're saying that under your system, penalties given incorrectly could be over-turned, but a foul not given as a penalty cannot be rectified? These things have to work both ways or refs are going to end up always giving penalties, knowing that they can rely on upstairs assistance. It would turn into a circus. And how would you re-start play if the decision was no penalty?

"Video evidence is not used in rugby for things like forward passes"

Yes it is.

"But it can work in football for judging offside when the ball has ended up in the net. But not if the ref has already blown for the offside decision based on the assistant's flag and the game has stopped."

No, it can't.

The offside rule always has marginal cases where a decision is required about whether someone is active/inactive, interfering with play, or gaining an advantage (or whichever language is being used to describe it now).

Again, your method only works for disallowing goals where the offside was missed. What is offside is given wrongly? Defenders will say they've seen the flag and stopped playing, so you can't award goals. And it's unfair to have a technology system that only works in the defenders' favour, so the whole thing collapses.

This already happens in Scottish football.

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Assistant Refs never have an opinion or make a decision or so it seems :greengrin

Gordy M
14-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Yeh cos thats never caused problems when a linesman flags and the ref over rules it or vice versa?!:greengrin

My issue is that some decisions will be contested and this will cause a longer delay and many arguments when managers/players see a replay, if its a matter of opinion. Take the foul/non foul on casillas last night.

Too many delays and interruptions for my liking.

PeeJay
14-06-2014, 01:09 PM
As you are well aware, Peejay, Civilisation practically ends at the the Weißwurstäquator (though I'm not saying from which direction)

Weißbier JA - Weißwurst NEIN .... :greengrin

hibbytam
14-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Yeh cos thats never caused problems when a linesman flags and the ref over rules it or vice versa?!:greengrin

My issue is that some decisions will be contested and this will cause a longer delay and many arguments when managers/players see a replay, if its a matter of opinion. Take the foul/non foul on casillas last night.

Too many delays and interruptions for my liking.

My point was that it would be the same as the referee getting advise from his linesman. Any uncertainty, like the example above, it's the refs call, but it would help prevent the truly shocking decisions at the biggest stage, like the mexico 'offside' goals.

HKhibby
14-06-2014, 02:45 PM
They do it in rugby and the decision in football would be made much quicker. All this money spent on goal line technology which is very rarely used could be better spent.

Saying that if England are cheated out of another dead cert goal then I won't have a problem with it. :aok:

As long as England get beaten...as long as England dont get a goal...As long as England are cheated out of a goal!...says it all about the hatred and spite and jealousy in Scotland...not to mention the mentality!....incidentally, when was the last time Scotland were in a world cup?...cant remember myself come to think of it!, at one time and im only mid-late 40s, i can remember as far back that most Brits used to look out for each others home nations teams...forget that now, this Anti British and Anti English thing that has hit Scotland has finished all of that for good with many people!

cabbageandribs1875
14-06-2014, 02:52 PM
aw naw it's him again

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 03:06 PM
As long as England get beaten...as long as England dont get a goal...As long as England are cheated out of a goal!...says it all about the hatred and spite and jealousy in Scotland...not to mention the mentality!....incidentally, when was the last time Scotland were in a world cup?...cant remember myself come to think of it!, at one time and im only mid-late 40s, i can remember as far back that most Brits used to look out for each others home nations teams...forget that now, this Anti British and Anti English thing that has hit Scotland has finished all of that for good with many people!

You should save your anger for after the WC. :wink:

Cropley10
14-06-2014, 03:25 PM
But then how can FIFA ensure that the teams they want to progress do?

Football is corrupt. Or rather it's totally naive to think that players don't use performance enhancing drugs or that with the huge amount of money involved in gambling on games that more players aren't involved in serious match-fixing.

The other thing is these aren't the best refs in the World, they're the best refs from 'around' the world.

Football is politics and the appointment of refs is part of that. It helps FIFA too, who are only interested in one thing, money.

The actual reason TV isn't used is - apparently - that the game should be officiated the same from the grass roots up. So if my Sunday team can't have TV nor should Mexico v Cameroon.

It's all part of Blatters control-freakery.

There is no logical argument for matters of fact like offside in particular not being able to be reviewed in an instant.

Sooner or later a team will win the World Cup and the whole world will know that the officials made a mistake. Crazy.

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 04:45 PM

I too remember the support of the home nations growing up in England, I have no idea what the situation was in Scotland at the time though.

PeeJay
14-06-2014, 08:02 PM
I too remember the support of the home nations growing up in England, I have no idea what the situation was in Scotland at the time though.

I fondly remember back in my Craigmillar homepatch - as a kid - supporting THAT England team during THAT world cup with all my Scottish mates ... changed days for some reason...

marinello59
14-06-2014, 08:07 PM

I remember supporting England as a primary school kid in the 1970 World Cup. We'd not long moved back up to Scotland, suffice to say I wasn't the most popular kid in the school. :greengrin My English relatives always supported the other home nations. They still do actually.

Carheenlea
14-06-2014, 08:17 PM

:agree: could only be used in matter of fact instances, and not matter of opinion.

Nothing in the rules to say the referee has to right, only that his decision is final. We could be watching a game on the telly, and there may be a contentious penalty claim. I might think it was a stonewaller every day of the week while you might disagree and feel there was not enough contact and that it was never a penalty. Who is right? It is just our opinions, and the referee in charge has that authority to decide for himself. Even with television evidence it might not be clear and everyone still ends up arguing and accusing officials of all sorts.