PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Sproule says it should be Mowbray

timewilltell
13-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Ivan Sproule today urged Hibs to push the boat out and ask the revered Tony Mowbray if he would consider returning to Easter Road.

Mowbray took charge of the Hibees a decade ago and went on to enjoy an exhilarating two and a bit years at the helm, leading a swashbuckling young team to back-to-back top-four finishes for the first time since the 1970s.

Since Mowbray left in October 2006, the Easter Road side have been unable to replicate the feelgood factor that accompanied his reign, with a steady demise through the years ultimately leading them down into the Championship last month.

With the 50-year-old Teessider still out of work following his departure from hometown team Middlesbrough eight months ago, former Hibs winger Sproule believes his old club would be mad not to look into the possibility of luring Mowbray back to Edinburgh to try and spark a revival.

“I know people say you should never go back but Tony Mowbray did such a good job at Hibs the first time,” said Sproule, currently back in his Northern Ireland homeland playing for Linfield. “He gained the respect of the fans and of the players and if you gave him the time and the right structure, I think he would be the perfect man. Whether he would want it is another matter, but whoever’s in charge of making the decision should be ringing Tony up to find out what his thoughts would be on it.

“I’m maybe speaking from the heart because I have so many happy memories from the time he was there but he did such a good job and some of the football we played was just fantastic.

“Sometimes a manager just fits a certain club. Look at Terry Butcher, for example. Inverness and him was the perfect partnership but then he came to Hibs and it ended up being a disaster. Hibs and Tony Mowbray could be the perfect fit.”

Sproule, 33, also believes his old Easter Road team-mate Guillaume Beuzelin, who is currently coaching Hibs’ under-14s, should be considered for a more prominent role at the club as part of the new management team.

“Boozy’s been involved in coaching for a while now, first with Falkirk and now with Hibs, and I’d love to see him involved with the coaching staff,” said Sproule. “He’s French and he’s got his own style and philosophy about how the game should be played. If he coaches half as well as the way he played, I’m sure the Hibs fans would be happy because they enjoyed the way that he played his football. Like myself, he was a bit of a cult hero with the Hibs fans.

“You need to have people who have a bit of pride and passion for the club. He wasn’t so much a talker, but he influenced the younger players by leading by example. He commands respect from the other players. The first thing they need to sort out is the new manager, though. Whoever they bring in, they have to choose carefully because the new manager will need to be a strong character.”

In his two spells at Easter Road, Sproule experienced the best and worst of Hibs. After the high of his first spell under Mowbray, he returned to Easter Road in 2011 to find a club which was becoming established in the bottom six under Colin Calderwood and then Pat Fenlon. The demise for his old team was completed under Butcher last month, and Sproule fears it could be some time before they get back on their feet.

“To go down to the Championship is not acceptable for Hibs,” said Sproule. “You could see the difference in the club just between my first spell and my second spell there. The first time I was there we were fighting for Europe, always in the top six and usually in the top four. Things had changed by the time I went back and I don’t think it helped that there was so much inconsistency with managers coming and going all the time. Whenever you change the structure and the players at the club so often, it’s always going to have a negative effect.

“The one thing we had under Tony Mowbray and even when John Collins first came in was that the team didn’t change too much. We generally used the same players and only made four or five changes each season. There’s just been too many different players and managers since then and that’s the reason Hibs have ended up in the Championship.

“It’s a club that means a lot to me and to a lot of other people, so I hope this is a wake-up call and they learn that they can never change so many managers in such a short space of time. The one thing they can take from this is that it’s a chance to restructure the club, but they must make sure that this never happens again.

“If they don’t get this appointment right, then they’ll not have learnt from their mistakes. A manager’s a very important part of your club so they’ve got to get the right one in. You also need the right kind of players in, with a strong mentality.

“Hibernian’s a massive club and there comes a pressure with playing for them. Every week, you’ve got to produce. They need to get players in who are going to care for their club. They’ve got to get the structure right from the start. I don’t think there’s a quick fix, though – this could take a good two or three years to sort out.”

JHFC
13-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I would take him back in a heartbeat

3pm
13-06-2014, 11:37 AM
As Ivan says, he's talking from the heart.

I don't think it would be right.

Devilstorment
13-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I take it this is taken from a newspaper story?

Ivan talks a lot of sense. I would love Mowbray to come back.

MrRobot
13-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Tony Mowbray as manager with Ian Murray taking assistant and Boozy becoming first-team coach would be a dream for me.

This would then lead to IM getting the job himself later down the line.

Not a chance Murray would team as manager to become assistant I don't think though.

timewilltell
13-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I take it this is taken from a newspaper story?

Ivan talks a lot of sense. I would love Mowbray to come back.

Today's Edinburgh Evening News

Smartie
13-06-2014, 11:51 AM
I'd also have him back in a second. By trying to play football the way he wants it played, and also based on what he achieved first time round he'd be cut a bit more slack by the fans than other managers might.

Ivan's passion runs through the article too, I always like to hear what he has to say. Remember that he was a Rangers die-hard part-time player from Northern Ireland before he came to us it would be great to get players to come to us and show a bit of bottle like he did. We need a manager who can look a player in the eyes and work out if they have the resolve and willpower (I don't think that playing for us is the walk in the park that many seem to) to come to Easter Road and not shrink into themselves like too many have in recent years.

EdinMike
13-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Oh C'mon, someone had to...

http://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ

allezsauzee
13-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Make it happen Rodders....erm I mean Leeann

Sorry force of habit

Billychaotic182
13-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Has to be Tony for me

frazeHFC
13-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I'd be happy, but how would he cope this time round without a team of young stars?

H13BYM
13-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I'd be more than happy too, bearing in mind his first stint here was his very first crack at being a manager and what a start he made, whilst he wasnt successful elsewhere he would have gained some very useful experience along the way, he knows the workings of the club and will use east mains to its full potential. got to be in the running.

The sceptics wont like it :tsk tsk: , but for me it makes sense.

Gordy M
13-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Football history is littered with managers who just seem to 'fit' at certain clubs, and then go on to be not particularly successful elsewhere. Maybe mowbray and hibs are that kinda 'fit'. I certainly wouldnt be averse to his return.

Smartie
13-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd be happy, but how would he cope this time round without a team of young stars?

Same way he did the last time. Play to the strengths of the talented young players he already had (whilst I'm in no way comparing our current crop to the golden generation) by getting the ball down and passing it. Surely better suited to Cummings, Stanton, etc than just shelling it up the park? Did we know that the same players were going to be that good under Mowbray when Williamson had them lumping it up to O'Connor?

Harris for one looks like he needs an arm around the shoulder rather than all-out negativity screamed in his face. He's a shadow of his former self.

Players like Craig may well get a new lease of life, and it's a shame we've lost Thommo because more than anyone he thrived playing Mowbray's way.

If there are any "bad apples" left behind then he'll weed them out like he seemed to do last time with Brebner and McManus.

Add a few gems such as Jones, Stewart, Murphy, Boozy, Sheils, Benji or Zemmama to the mix and we're there. Remember that whilst expectations will be high, we're playing at a lower level than before so poorer players may come in and have a bigger impact.

He's also failed in his last few jobs so he'd be a clown if he thought he was too big for us - this may be exactly the springboard he needs for a couple of years or so to get him back on track.

H13BYM
13-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Same way he did the last time. Play to the strengths of the talented young players he already had (whilst I'm in no way comparing our current crop to the golden generation) by getting the ball down and passing it. Surely better suited to Cummings, Stanton, etc than just shelling it up the park? Did we know that the same players were going to be that good under Mowbray when Williamson had them lumping it up to O'Connor?

Harris for one looks like he needs an arm around the shoulder rather than all-out negativity screamed in his face. He's a shadow of his former self.

Players like Craig may well get a new lease of life, and it's a shame we've lost Thommo because more than anyone he thrived playing Mowbray's way.

If there are any "bad apples" left behind then he'll weed them out like he seemed to do last time with Brebner and McManus.

Add a few gems such as Jones, Stewart, Murphy, Boozy, Sheils, Benji or Zemmama to the mix and we're there. Remember that whilst expectations will be high, we're playing at a lower level than before so poorer players may come in and have a bigger impact.

He's also failed in his last few jobs so he'd be a clown if he thought he was too big for us - this may be exactly the springboard he needs for a couple of years or so to get him back on track.

Rather well put :agree:

AND we go on about hibs class, he was always a bit of class i.e never wearing anything other than a suit on matchdays at trackside. would be a very posotive role model for the young un's

Nevi_SOL
13-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Tony Mowbray as manager with Ian Murray taking assistant and Boozy becoming first-team coach would be a dream for me.

Not a chance Murray would team as manager to become assistant I don't think though.

I agree 100% with this and as Ivan said on his interview add a little pride and passion to a team in need of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Could do a lot worse. As long as he's learned how to spot a decent goalkeeper

Hibbyradge
13-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Has to be Tony for me

Or what?

:paranoid:

Billychaotic182
13-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Or what?

:paranoid:

Haha or nothing just would be my pick of the bunch. In my life time my most enjoyable time as a hibee came when he was our manager

Sir David Gray
13-06-2014, 10:13 PM
I personally wouldn't appoint Mowbray again.

He's had his time with us, it was a relative success and we saw some of the best football for many years under him.

However he had some wonderful players at his disposal.

I certainly value Ivan's views though and it's always great to hear his thoughts on the club.

HFC_NYC
13-06-2014, 11:24 PM

That at was truly scintillating

HKhibby
14-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Ivan Sproule today urged Hibs to push the boat out and ask the revered Tony Mowbray if he would consider returning to Easter Road.

Mowbray took charge of the Hibees a decade ago and went on to enjoy an exhilarating two and a bit years at the helm, leading a swashbuckling young team to back-to-back top-four finishes for the first time since the 1970s.

Since Mowbray left in October 2006, the Easter Road side have been unable to replicate the feelgood factor that accompanied his reign, with a steady demise through the years ultimately leading them down into the Championship last month.

With the 50-year-old Teessider still out of work following his departure from hometown team Middlesbrough eight months ago, former Hibs winger Sproule believes his old club would be mad not to look into the possibility of luring Mowbray back to Edinburgh to try and spark a revival.

“I know people say you should never go back but Tony Mowbray did such a good job at Hibs the first time,” said Sproule, currently back in his Northern Ireland homeland playing for Linfield. “He gained the respect of the fans and of the players and if you gave him the time and the right structure, I think he would be the perfect man. Whether he would want it is another matter, but whoever’s in charge of making the decision should be ringing Tony up to find out what his thoughts would be on it.

“I’m maybe speaking from the heart because I have so many happy memories from the time he was there but he did such a good job and some of the football we played was just fantastic.

“Sometimes a manager just fits a certain club. Look at Terry Butcher, for example. Inverness and him was the perfect partnership but then he came to Hibs and it ended up being a disaster. Hibs and Tony Mowbray could be the perfect fit.”

Sproule, 33, also believes his old Easter Road team-mate Guillaume Beuzelin, who is currently coaching Hibs’ under-14s, should be considered for a more prominent role at the club as part of the new management team.

“Boozy’s been involved in coaching for a while now, first with Falkirk and now with Hibs, and I’d love to see him involved with the coaching staff,” said Sproule. “He’s French and he’s got his own style and philosophy about how the game should be played. If he coaches half as well as the way he played, I’m sure the Hibs fans would be happy because they enjoyed the way that he played his football. Like myself, he was a bit of a cult hero with the Hibs fans.

“You need to have people who have a bit of pride and passion for the club. He wasn’t so much a talker, but he influenced the younger players by leading by example. He commands respect from the other players. The first thing they need to sort out is the new manager, though. Whoever they bring in, they have to choose carefully because the new manager will need to be a strong character.”

In his two spells at Easter Road, Sproule experienced the best and worst of Hibs. After the high of his first spell under Mowbray, he returned to Easter Road in 2011 to find a club which was becoming established in the bottom six under Colin Calderwood and then Pat Fenlon. The demise for his old team was completed under Butcher last month, and Sproule fears it could be some time before they get back on their feet.

“To go down to the Championship is not acceptable for Hibs,” said Sproule. “You could see the difference in the club just between my first spell and my second spell there. The first time I was there we were fighting for Europe, always in the top six and usually in the top four. Things had changed by the time I went back and I don’t think it helped that there was so much inconsistency with managers coming and going all the time. Whenever you change the structure and the players at the club so often, it’s always going to have a negative effect.

“The one thing we had under Tony Mowbray and even when John Collins first came in was that the team didn’t change too much. We generally used the same players and only made four or five changes each season. There’s just been too many different players and managers since then and that’s the reason Hibs have ended up in the Championship.

“It’s a club that means a lot to me and to a lot of other people, so I hope this is a wake-up call and they learn that they can never change so many managers in such a short space of time. The one thing they can take from this is that it’s a chance to restructure the club, but they must make sure that this never happens again.

“If they don’t get this appointment right, then they’ll not have learnt from their mistakes. A manager’s a very important part of your club so they’ve got to get the right one in. You also need the right kind of players in, with a strong mentality.

“Hibernian’s a massive club and there comes a pressure with playing for them. Every week, you’ve got to produce. They need to get players in who are going to care for their club. They’ve got to get the structure right from the start. I don’t think there’s a quick fix, though – this could take a good two or three years to sort out.”

Well said and a good article, i would bring him back in a flash too!

Forza Fred
14-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Nobody we appoint will please everyone.

And as Ivan says...some managers can be successful at one club, but not at another.

Certainly the chemistry between Mowbray and Hibs seemed to work, although obviously there is no guarantee it would work again.

However the very fact that an ex manager is deemed worthy of consideration is a recommendation by itself, as most of them at some point we would have been happy to chase down Easter Road with a pitchfork.

Only rider I would put on his reappointment.....no more Zibbies:confused:

bighairyfaeleith
14-06-2014, 06:50 AM
I would bring mogga in as DOF and Ian Murray as head coach. Thats assuming guardiola turns us down of course.

WeeRussell
14-06-2014, 09:46 AM

Shivers.. every time :agree:

Absolutely loved Ivan - his passion and love for Hibs once he had came to us was brilliant. You feel like you can almost relate to him as one of us suddenly getting a shot as a pro footballer but still showing his everyday man/fan traits when he plays/celebrates etc. Not one of the most talented footballers ever to grace Easter Road but one of the most exciting.

Video also shows how good and important Scott Brown was for us back then.

Anyway, back on topic - I also wouldn't be against Mowbray returning but I'm not convinced it will happen. Really have no idea who will get it... or even who I want!! Certainly no complaints from me if Ian Murray was to be handed the role but I think 6/4 is skinny.. seems pretty open to me!

Holmesdale Hibs
14-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Shivers.. every time :agree:

Absolutely loved Ivan - his passion and love for Hibs once he had came to us was brilliant. You feel like you can almost relate to him as one of us suddenly getting a shot as a pro footballer but still showing his everyday man/fan traits when he plays/celebrates etc. Not one of the most talented footballers ever to grace Easter Road but one of the most exciting.

Video also shows how good and important Scott Brown was for us back then.

Anyway, back on topic - I also wouldn't be against Mowbray returning but I'm not convinced it will happen. Really have no idea who will get it... or even who I want!! Certainly no complaints from me if Ian Murray was to be handed the role but I think 6/4 is skinny.. seems pretty open to me!

I had a very similar chain of thought... Loved Ivan and forgotten how Scott Brown used to do things like that. I was at that game and it's still one of my favourite ever matches.

I'd be happy enough with Mowbray. The football was great and would get the crowds back although it's difficult to say how much of this was down to the good set of young players he inherited.

Might be too soon for Murray IMO but I expect we'll see him at ER at some point. I'd take McCall but not keen on Danny Lennon (although I remember going mental when he scored a last minute goal vs the sheep when I was young and still like him for that)

ruthven_raiders
14-06-2014, 10:24 AM
I would bring mogga in as DOF and Ian Murray as head coach. Thats assuming guardiola turns us down of course.

That would be a good team with Guillaume Beuzelin assisting. Mogga philosophy for football will be ideal for DOF.

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Not for me.

The circumstances were just right for Mowbray last time. He had plenty to work with on his arrival. Even although he made some good signings, lets not forget that he brought in quite a few disasters as well.

I like Mowbray, but I think he'd struggle with us this time round. We need a manager for rebuilding and I dont think Mowbray has that in his locker.

Turkish Green
14-06-2014, 10:53 AM

This. But it is probably far too sensible for RP (I mean LD) to grasp.

Crops73
14-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Could do a lot worse. As long as he's learned how to spot a decent goalkeeper

Good point :greengrin

I'd take Tony back in a second.

Not so sure about Murray though.

O'Rourke3
14-06-2014, 02:26 PM
First time was great but he got out quickly-which he may now regret - but the lure of a job dan saf I think he'd be away again.

Sent from my brain via Tapatalk

Franck Stanton
14-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Just my opinion, but think Mowbray is ideal for the job and I , for one, would welcome him back with open arms. Likes open-attacking play and has proven that he can build a team from scratch. Definitely gets my vote.