PDA

View Full Version : Match Fixing

Sergey
12-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I've seen it first hand in the lower leagues in English Football, but I think tonight the world has seen it in full HD Technicolour with surround-sound.

The game is corrupt, from the very top (Blatter) to the dregs...with Craig Thomson thrown in for good measure!

greenpaper55
12-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Keeper was very suspect, who had a bet on 3-1 ?.

HH81
12-06-2014, 10:17 PM
I did in the prediction league :-)

Nomeancity
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I've seen it first hand in the lower leagues in English Football, but I think tonight the world has seen it in full HD Technicolour with surround-sound.

The game is corrupt, from the very top (Blatter) to the dregs...with Craig Thomson thrown in for good measure!

100% the game is corrupt. Neymar should have had a red card, the penalty wasn't even a foul and their third goal had an off the ball foul. And Croatia goal was no foul on the keeper. None of these were borderline decisions they were all obvious. Officials might get one ( or even 2) wrong but not four.
It's all about the cash - if this World Cup continues like tonight then I'm out

Nevi_SOL
12-06-2014, 10:36 PM
100% the game is corrupt. Neymar should have had a red card, the penalty wasn't even a foul and their third goal had an off the ball foul. And Croatia goal was no foul on the keeper. None of these were borderline decisions they were all obvious. Officials might get one ( or even 2) wrong but not four.
I fully disagree with 3 of your 4 points. Only one I would agree with is the penalty decision. That's football though all about opinions

The Croatia goal wasn't chalked of for a foul on the keeper. Linesmans flag was up before that offside I think I heard

CyberSauzee
12-06-2014, 10:41 PM

His mate between the sticks from Nigeria? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-06-2014, 10:42 PM
I concur with the op but Neymars two goals paid for all my ante-post bets so its all good!

Thecat23
12-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Croatia goal that was disallowed was correct. The player had his arm across the keeper the rules state you can't do that.

jacomo
12-06-2014, 11:15 PM

Yep that's what I thought. Please no.

silverhibee
12-06-2014, 11:24 PM

Did you see Jamie Redknapp's tips for tonight's game on sky sports, think he knew what was going down tonight, everything right apart from the score, he had 2-1, the rest he got right, lucky, or is the Redknapp family making a fortune this summer.

rossi
12-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Brazil were never going to lose that game- anytime a Brazil player was in danger of losing the ball he just had to fall over and the ref gave them a foul. I didn't care who won that game- ref was not fair.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-06-2014, 12:11 AM
I watched as a neutral with no inclination towards either team, but the referee's decisions ruined it, appalling & easy to believe that this was more than just honest mistakes being made.

ekhibee
13-06-2014, 12:12 AM
There was quite an interesting interview on Match of the Day with a reporter who said there was trouble just before the game and after it, and plans to demonstrate after virtually every other game too. The worry is that if Brazil get knocked out early that could make the riots outside the stadiums even bigger and a whole lot worse, because the public will no longer be distracted from the **** that's going on in their lives. He did say 'Now I'm not saying the referee would have been aware of that, but...',

Jpdhfc
13-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Can't agree more

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 12:17 AM
There was quite an interesting interview on Match of the Day with a reporter who said there was trouble just before the game and after it, and plans to demonstrate after virtually every other game too. The worry is that if Brazil get knocked out early that could make the riots outside the stadiums even bigger and a whole lot worse, because the public will no longer be distracted from the **** that's going on in their lives. He did say 'Now I'm not saying the referee would have been aware of that, but...',

There has been a lot of trouble over thelast year, but today's was a small demonstration by metro workers 8 miles from the stadium and it was quickly dispersed. Not sure about trouble after the game, but there's always something here after any game.

Fwiw, thought the ref was awful. Neymar should have seen red and I thought the pen was very soft. FIFA and Brasil are a good match: a corrupt organisation and a corruption filled government.

ekhibee
13-06-2014, 12:21 AM
There has been a lot of trouble over thelast year, but today's was a small deonstration by metro workers 8 miles from the stadium and it was quickly dispersed. Not sure about trouble after the game, but there's always something here after any game.

Fwiw, thought the ref was awful. Neymar should have seen red and I thought the pen was very soft.
After the match was finished on STV the cameras in the studio showed chips/holes in the windows where stuff had been thrown. Outside there was a fairly large crowd surrounded by armed police.

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 12:23 AM
After the match was finished on STV the cameras in the studio showed chips/holes in the windows where stuff had been thrown. Outside there was a fairly large crowd surrounded by armed police.

Not disagreeing with what you said, just said that I didn't see it.

Interesting, but not surprising that Brazilian media showed none of that.

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 12:24 AM
There were plenty of violent protests in other Brazilian cities.

ekhibee
13-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Not disagreeing with what you said, just said that I didn't see it.

Interesting, but not surprising that Brazilian media showed none of that.
Apologies mate, I wasn't arguing with you at all, you'll know a lot more about the situation than me. I'm not surprised it wasn't shown on Brazilian tv mind you.

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Apologies mate, I wasn't arguing with you at all, you'll know a lot more about the situation than me. I'm not surprised it wasn't shown on Brazilian tv mind you.

No worries at all mate! I was interested to hear about the stuff going on and appreciated you telling me. I was just pointing out that I wasn't arguing with what you said. :-)

I'll pick up more of what's going on from my friends who were at the game when they post on FB etc. Brazilian tv showed a bit of the protests from before the game, but the footage was mostly of the police crushing it with batons, tear gas and rubber bullets....

Just_Jimmy
13-06-2014, 12:54 AM
I had Brazil 3-1 and Neymar to score at anytime at 20/1. I'm splitting my winnings with the ref. :greengrin

majorhibs
13-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Never a pen, fair enough, but hey, thats never happened in a game before, eh? The rest down to interpretation but some people way OTT for me. Wonder if thats what happens when watching on "British" TV with the "quality" pundits? As for the "riots" sure theres stuff going on, but hey, is it supposed to be quiet & peaceful any other time when the worlds press are not covering every single thing? Come on G.G, you see the local news, it kicks off from time to time wether there's a world cup or not, just isnt made into that big a deal as it occurs regularly enough but theres not a pile of supporters & foreign press in the area to make it into a story worldwide.

NOLA
13-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Never been a fan of the brasil team and last night did nothing to convince me they are any good, neymar should have been off, never a pen. Hope they get pumped by argentina.

ballengeich
13-06-2014, 08:33 AM
I think it was a penalty. The defender was pulling Fred with both arms, and although Fred's reaction was exaggerated it was technically a foul. Normally defenders get away with this type of cheating, but not on this occasion. For Lovren to claim that there was no contact is at best massive self-deception.

Cropley10
13-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Croatia goal that was disallowed was correct. The player had his arm across the keeper the rules state you can't do that.

Who did The Rangers play in the Cup when they got that get-out-of-jail equaliser at Ibrox?

Two players contested the ball, the fact that the striker wins it - last night - meant it was a foul.

That ref was on the pitch last night to make sure there was no upset...

majorhibs
13-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Who did The Rangers play in the Cup when they got that get-out-of-jail equaliser at Ibrox?

Two players contested the ball, the fact that the striker wins it - last night - meant it was a foul.

That ref was on the pitch last night to make sure there was no upset...

Cannae believe people are using this as an example. You"d MAYBE have got away with that kind of challenge in the 50's but not nowadays.

Hibercelona
13-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Of course it's fixed in Brazils favour. Argentina, Spain and Germany are considerably better than Brazil IMO, but if you look at the bookie odds, most of them have Brazil tipped as favourites to win the thing.

yeezus.
13-06-2014, 08:58 AM

I genuinely did predict a 3-1 win for Brazil (but didn't put a bet on it). I think FIFA / UEFA are corrupt to the core. I'll stick to supporting the Hibees, as long as Craigey Thompson isn't involved there isn't much fixing here :wink:

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2014, 09:02 AM
If I honestly thought the integrity of the World Cup was in question I would stop watching it, I don't so I won't.

Just_Jimmy
13-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Of course it's fixed in Brazils favour. Argentina, Spain and Germany are considerably better than Brazil IMO, but if you look at the bookie odds, most of them have Brazil tipped as favourites to win the thing.

Because they are the host nation.
No european team has won a world cup in south america.
Argentina for all their fire power, are rank at the back.

Brazil are favourites but the others you mention are 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I didn't think they were great last night. I also don't see them as a great Brazilian side by any means but we've yet to see anyone else play so we don't know how this will go.

I'm glad we got goal line technology to tell us that the ball hit the back of the net, or that paint for the wall at freekicks though. It's important the wall doesn't move. Why can't they check a video or get a shout "player dived" from someone who is?

Hibercelona
13-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Because they are the host nation.
No european team has won a world cup in south america.
Argentina for all their fire power, are rank at the back.

Brazil are favourites but the others you mention are 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I didn't think they were great last night. I also don't see them as a great Brazilian side by any means but we've yet to see anyone else play so we don't know how this will go.

I'm glad we got goal line technology to tell us that the ball hit the back of the net, or that paint for the wall at freekicks though. It's important the wall doesn't move. Why can't they check a video or get a shout "player dived" from someone who is?

Because the more technology is applied to the game, the less control they'll have to influence results.

Cropley10
13-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Cannae believe people are using this as an example. You"d MAYBE have got away with that kind of challenge in the 50's but not nowadays.

My point was how ref's interpret things...

lapsedhibee
13-06-2014, 09:21 AM

You'd CERTAINLY have got away with it in the 60s and 70s.

majorhibs
13-06-2014, 09:25 AM
My point was how ref's interpret things...

You'd CERTAINLY have got away with it in the 60s and 70s.

Come on though, are you saying you thought that challenge would not get pulled up nowadays... or does that no fit in with the conspiracy theory....

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Never a pen, fair enough, but hey, thats never happened in a game before, eh? The rest down to interpretation but some people way OTT for me. Wonder if thats what happens when watching on "British" TV with the "quality" pundits? As for the "riots" sure theres stuff going on, but hey, is it supposed to be quiet & peaceful any other time when the worlds press are not covering every single thing? Come on G.G, you see the local news, it kicks off from time to time wether there's a world cup or not, just isnt made into that big a deal as it occurs regularly enough but theres not a pile of supporters & foreign press in the area to make it into a story worldwide.

In fairness MH, I did say a few posts back that there's always something after the games here, and that the protest last night was very small and far away. (I'm on my phone so difficult to find and re-quote. The police did go in on it though. And the other protests I was talking about were just what I saw on the local news: folk smashing up shops and cars in several cities. I wasn't making that up or anything.

Mostly last night I saw a lot of people enjoying themselves, as I'm sure you did. :greengrin. There was a great atmosphere here. My views on the game were just that, not trying to put Brasil down or anything. All of the people I have spoken to about theopening ceremony didn't like it though. When you compare it to the incredible things Brazilians do for carnaval or bumba meu boi etc. it did come up a bit short. And the bit with J-Lo and Claudia Leite...ooft. Oh dear. :greengrin The attached pic is doing the rounds today.

Agree about the foreign media too. All that stuff about people taking hours to get from SP airport to their hotels, well, I think it does take too long to get through Guarulhos in general, and 2.5 hrs is too long to wait for a taxi, but it took me about 3 hrs to get out of JFK last July, so it's not just Brasil where you'll be held up. The journos will focus disproportionately on stuff that happens. Some of them got hurt yesterday, so that won't help. But it's been a very positive start overall, no doubt about it.

Cropley10
13-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Come on though, are you saying you thought that challenge would not get pulled up nowadays... or does that no fit in with the conspiracy theory....

So football isn't corrupt and FIFA in no way want to influence what happens? They appoint a Japanese ref to oversee a game where 100& of the players play in European competition.... who then gives every decision to Brazil....

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 10:41 AM
So football isn't corrupt and FIFA in no way want to influence what happens? They appoint a Japanese ref to oversee a game where 100& of the players play in European competition.... who then gives every decision to Brazil....

I personally thought Neymar's elbow on Modric was premeditated and totally deliberate (he looked at him before making the challenge then had the nerve to tell Modric afterwards that he 'didn't see him') and that he should have walked. However the ref was straight out with the yellow card with no hesitation, so I really wouldn't go so far as to say there was a "conspiracy". I thought the pen was soft but seeing it again today there was a hand on Fred's shoulder preventing him from moving to the ball. He made a lot of it, but it was a foul, so...

edinburghhibee
13-06-2014, 11:14 AM
It's never a foul anyone who plays or has played football knows that when the striker is backing into you like Fred was there is nowhere to put your hands. The Croatian boys hand is on freds shoulder but it's not pulling or pushing or restricting Fred in any way Fred cheated and the ref bottled it in a big game.

Further to that neymar is a sending off, as is Alves when he trips olic when he's running in on the keeper in the second half and lastly it's never a foul on the Brazil keeper olic is already in the air when Caesar jumps backwards into him.

Positives were that oscar was brilliant last night and looks a wonderful player. Brazil however are not going to win this tournament if they play like that against the Spanish Germans or any other decent team.

majorhibs
13-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Where does Fred play most sats.... IMO not a pen, defo foul on the keeper & giving a red half way thru 1st half for a first foul refs get slated for ruining the game, I think a red then was unlikely from ANY ref (cept maybe thomson) but thats how I saw it, the pen for me was a tough call on Croatia but sorry I cannae get all conspiracy theory about the other shouts, how many times have Hibs been Croatia last night, was FIFA to blame for Griffiths shot over the line against the charity thieves?

Captain Trips
13-06-2014, 02:33 PM
IMO the ref did nothing wrong on what were the 2 bigger calls, firstly Neymar elbow in real time I never even noticed he was looking at the player so fair enough to book him for dangerous play as IMO that is what it looked like in real time.

2nd incident the only corrupt thing in it was Fred. He was hardly touched and IMO threw himself down in order to get the penalty. In real time it may easily look like he was pulled but when we saw it closer it became clear to me that he dived. The ref has to call it and when people are making nothing tackles into something then they have almost no chance.

The result for me wasn't fixed by anyone the ref IMO was 100% genuine in his calls the only people who need looked at are Neymar and Fred. The ref wouldnt need to make those two calls if the cheating had not happened in first place. Players always get away with this and it goes down to "how did the ref miss that".

The score went to 2-1 because Fred cheated first and foremost.

emerald green
13-06-2014, 02:48 PM

:agree: I've become very saddened by how the game is developing. There seems to be more cheating going on now in the World Cup than in past tournaments.

The amount of diving just seems to get worse as the years go bye. The "bigger nations / teams" always seem to get these dubious decisions just when they need them.

The decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar absolutely stinks too. Claims of bribery and corruption (not yet proven of course), the feasibility of playing in scorching summer temperatures, the conditions of migrant workers building World Cup infrastructure, have all been raised.

It stinks IMO.

jacomo
13-06-2014, 03:07 PM
IMO the ref did nothing wrong on what were the 2 bigger calls, firstly Neymar elbow in real time I never even noticed he was looking at the player so fair enough to book him for dangerous play as IMO that is what it looked like in real time.

2nd incident the only corrupt thing in it was Fred. He was hardly touched and IMO threw himself down in order to get the penalty. In real time it may easily look like he was pulled but when we saw it closer it became clear to me that he dived. The ref has to call it and when people are making nothing tackles into something then they have almost no chance.

The result for me wasn't fixed by anyone the ref IMO was 100% genuine in his calls the only people who need looked at are Neymar and Fred. The ref wouldnt need to make those two calls if the cheating had not happened in first place. Players always get away with this and it goes down to "how did the ref miss that".

The score went to 2-1 because Fred cheated first and foremost.

There is precedence for Fred to receive retrospective punishment - a 2 game ban would do me, as if his dive had been spotted at the time it would have been a caution, but he conned the ref and got a penalty for his side.

The Croatian keeper looked suspect to me - I hope that's just me being cynical, but questionable on all three goals.

Nice avatar by the way, RIP Rik Mayall :agree:

The Green Goblin
13-06-2014, 03:12 PM
There is precedence for Fred to receive retrospective punishment - a 2 game ban would do me, as if his dive had been spotted at the time it would have been a caution, but he conned the ref and got a penalty for his side.

The Croatian keeper looked suspect to me - I hope that's just me being cynical, but questionable on all three goals.

You thought the Croatian keeper looked suspect on the penalty? :greengrin I thought he did his best to prevent all three.

jacomo
13-06-2014, 03:16 PM
You thought the Croatian keeper looked suspect on the penalty? :greengrin I thought he did his best to prevent all three.

Pen was a strange one. Went right way, got a firm hand on it... then what happened?

ekhibee
13-06-2014, 03:25 PM

I thought the Croatian keeper was really poor, and totally agree with you, he should have saved all 3. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Brazil go into the next round, I think they play the 2nd place team from Spains group? I don't see Australia qualifying but any of the other 3 will give that Brazilian defence a really hard game IMO.