PDA

View Full Version : Troubled Garry O’Connor making documentary

calder45a
12-06-2014, 10:02 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/troubled-garry-o-connor-making-documentary-1-3441502

Apologize if posted before.

J-C
12-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Deary deary me, stooping so low to make a few quid.

yeezus.
12-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Read a bit in the paper about him living in a council house and having to make a few cutbacks. Shame :rolleyes:

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 10:06 PM
hope the guy finally turns the corner

HibeeHendo
12-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Why can't he just get fit? I'm sure he'd still be half decent at full fitness.

J-C
12-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I just feel it's all a bit too late for Garry to be doing this, he's had so many opportunities to sort out his life, what good would doing a documentary be to him. best thing he needs is to live a life like all us normal down to earth people, out of the limelight and earn an honest crust. I have a feeling the majority of people will watch this documentary and have an even worse opinion of the guy.

Gus
12-06-2014, 10:20 PM
So someone who had everything & threw it all away through his own bad choices.is now living in subsidised (sp) housing, excellent

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Money talks. I just wonder how much is it will be fact.

Dr Jimmy
12-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Jc1: Don't get too dizzy up there in your ivory tower.

Good luck Gary hope you get your life back on track for you and your family. Still remember your late goal at ER against THEM. The east went bananas!!

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Why can't he just get fit? I'm sure he'd still be half decent at full fitness.

That's the problem. Can't envisage a fully fit Garry O. It would take a miracle to get someone who hasn't been fully fit for some years now and more than likely no motivation to do so. Just easier to do a documentary where the only exercise involved will be signing a contract.

Don't get me wrong. I hope that he does get his life sorted out especially for his family's sake.

J-C
12-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Don't get too dizzy up there in your ivory tower.

Good luck Gary hope you get your life back on track for you and you'd family. Still remember your late goal at ER against THEM. The east went bananas!!

Not up here, the man had made a very very good living out of football and decided to snort it up his nose, I feel for his wife and kids but that's not what we're discussing here. What is Garry going to achieve by doing a documentary about his downfall from the dizzy heights of top footballer to drug addict/erse, if he's looking for some sympathy, then I think he's very much making a wrong choice.

Albion Hibs
12-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Jc1: Don't get too dizzy up there in your ivory tower.

Good luck Gary hope you get your life back on track for you and your family. Still remember your late goal at ER against THEM. The east went bananas!!

:top marksThe irony is of course that any documentary will no doubt seek to get rid of the stupid / narrow minded comments that get thrown out by people and put up on this board from the anonymity of a keyboard in a bedroom somewhere.

If nothing else it may actually be good for younger footballers out there.

easty
12-06-2014, 10:43 PM
:top marksThe irony is of course that any documentary will no doubt seek to get rid of the stupid / narrow minded comments that get thrown out by people and put up on this board from the anonymity of a keyboard in a bedroom somewhere.

Is that using the Alanis Morrisette definition of irony, yeah?

Posted from my laptop in a bedroom somewhere.

J-C
12-06-2014, 10:47 PM

The irony in this post is that you post with anonymity with a fake name having a go at other anonymous posters, my username is my initials and I have a pic of myself as my avatar, not very anonymous.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Feel so sorry for the big man. Hibs legend no matter what in my eyes.

MWHIBBIES
12-06-2014, 11:06 PM
After the state of him during his second spell at ER its difficult to feel sorry for him. We gave him a big chance to sort himself out only for him to be overweight and in trouble with the police. Hope he can get himself sorted but don't see it.

ManBearPig
12-06-2014, 11:16 PM
wont be first or the last marinello was very similar. great book about what not to do.

3pm
13-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Feel so sorry for the big man. Hibs legend no matter what in my eyes.

Came out pishin himself laughing after getting trounced in the Hearts cup final.

Legend my arse.

Moon unit
13-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Documentary could be homage to George Orwell....
"Down and out in Tranent and The Pans"
"The road to Cockenzie Pier".....you get the gist! :)

CRAZYHIBBY
13-06-2014, 07:17 AM
We should go down to his house, bundle him into a van and drive him down to the gym

calder45a
13-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Documentary could be homage to George Orwell....
"Down and out in Tranent and The Pans"
"The road to Cockenzie Pier".....you get the gist! :)
"Career down the Pans"

s.a.m
13-06-2014, 07:32 AM
:greengrin

Waxy
13-06-2014, 07:40 AM
He should count himself lucky he had a career in football at all. It's a short career and a huge percentage have to find other work when its ended anyway. He could have spent the last 16 years labouring.

confused
13-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Came out pishin himself laughing after getting trounced in the Hearts cup final.

Legend my arse.

Total agreement with you, I loved watching you but thats gone and so are you ,

eastmainsmsh
13-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Hate to see him hounded like this

Good guy just chose to be down to earth like he was before fame he will regret getting involved in silly things sad... Can't help to think if he got help like merson did after his troubles ...

Its a shame he could've went further in game IMO.... Morton was bad move for him

He could still cut it IMO

Good luck Garry

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Hate to see him hounded like this

Good guy just chose to be down to earth like he was before fame he will regret getting involved in silly things sad... Can't help to think if he got help like merson did after his troubles ...

Its a shame he could've went further in game IMO.... Morton was bad move for him

He could still cut it IMO

Good luck Garry

Maybe its just me, but i see quotes like this all the time regarding O'Connor on here. He's just a big daft laddie, and now its him involved in silly things?

Drugs and class A drugs are in my opinion not silly, neither is trying to defraud the insurance company for over £100k

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2014, 09:05 AM
You reap what you sow. Out of respect for him as an ex player I won't gloat over his current situation though.

Baader
13-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Liked him but can't have much sympathy as he chose that route and squandered his talent.

Hibernia Na Eir
13-06-2014, 09:34 AM

I think anyone, especially Hibs fans, wouldn't grudge Garry making a little out of the this. Hardly gonna make him a fortune.
We'll all want to tune in, so what's the big deal?

leggeto
13-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Its what he done on the pitch that I'll remember Gary Ohhhhh

Hibby Kay-Yay
13-06-2014, 10:41 AM
I think anyone, especially Hibs fans, wouldn't grudge Garry making a little out of the this. Hardly gonna make him a fortune.
We'll all want to tune in, so what's the big deal?

I'll not be watching it. Someone who used to be famous looking to get a little more fame...nah, no thanks. Even being a former Hibs player means no special attention to be given imo.

leither17
13-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Is that using the Alanis Morrisette definition of irony, yeah?

Posted from my laptop in a bedroom somewhere.

It's like rain on your wedding day.

MrRobot
13-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Would deffo watch this. Loved Garry at Hibs, he was one of my favourite players. Always a really nice guy whenever I've met him. I feel sorry for him and his family. It's his own fault what's happened, but any one of us could have made the same mistakes he has.

Hopefully it will be good at scaring younger players into not following the same path.

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Would deffo watch this. Loved Garry at Hibs, he was one of my favourite players. Always a really nice guy whenever I've met him. I feel sorry for him and his family. It's his own fault what's happened, but any one of us could have made the same mistakes he has.

Hopefully it will be good at scaring younger players into not following the same path.

Not getting onto Garry, but most people don't make these mistakes.

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2014, 11:18 AM

:agree:

jacomo
13-06-2014, 11:31 AM

G'OC is higher profile because of the big transfer fees he attracted and his run ins with the authorities.

But it seems to me that plenty of Scottish footballers don't maximise their potential because they don't live the right way. The 'George St culture' is just as damaging, in many ways... regular drinking will have a negative impact on an athlete.

MrRobot
13-06-2014, 11:36 AM

But there are footballers out there who might make the same mistakes. Seeing something like this might help prevent it.

Hopefully anyway. I know if it was me and I was a professional footballer, I wouldn't do anything to screw that up. It's a shame Garry has.

Keith_M
13-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Maybe its just me, but i see quotes like this all the time regarding O'Connor on here. He's just a big daft laddie, and now its him involved in silly things?

Drugs and class A drugs are in my opinion not silly, neither is trying to defraud the insurance company for over £100k

:agree:

Any time players are criticised for living the 'Champagne Charlie' or 'George St' lifestyle, there are cries of 'just a silly laddie' and 'why shouldn't they enjoy themselves, like anybody else their age'.

P1sh!

A professional athlete that threw his talent, and money, away on Class A Drugs deserves criticism.

Oh and call me what you like but no, I didn't spend my youth getting p1ssed and taking Class A drugs. I had a family to support and didn't expect sympathy or hand-outs. I'd imagine that applies to the majority of us.

Phil D. Rolls
13-06-2014, 02:29 PM
G'OC is higher profile because of the big transfer fees he attracted and his run ins with the authorities.

But it seems to me that plenty of Scottish footballers don't maximise their potential because they don't live the right way. The 'George St culture' is just as damaging, in many ways... regular drinking will have a negative impact on an athlete.

The point I was making is that people don't take Cocaine by accident.

But there are footballers out there who might make the same mistakes. Seeing something like this might help prevent it.

Hopefully anyway. I know if it was me and I was a professional footballer, I wouldn't do anything to screw that up. It's a shame Garry has.

Just Say No!

heretoday
13-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Who's playing the lead? Norman Wisdom?

Cameron1875
13-06-2014, 02:37 PM
This 'nice guy up the town' stuff is total nonsense. Absolute roaster when I've bumped into him.

Had a glorious chance to bang in the goals for us and force himself back into the Scotland set up. It was all going swimmingly until around xmas time in 2011-12 season where something happened.
No idea what but his game just went to **** till about April.

edwards
13-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Personaly I feel he has been through a lot and has managed to keep his family together, he was a great player at Hibs and would like him to put in an exausting pre season to get himself a club. No use feeling sorry for himself he has to put the work in.

All the best Garry

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-06-2014, 06:11 PM
I can't help but think that although there may be a very serious point to this documentary, it will end up like Benefits Street or The Scheme, where rather than sympathy, the people involved get ridiculed.

Iggy Pope
13-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Given Maribor their ball back yet you thieving ****?

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Given Maribor their ball back yet you thieving ****?

No, Dave sold it on ebay. In them days i was just a big daft silly laddie. :wink:

Flanny boy
14-06-2014, 08:20 AM
No, Dave sold it on ebay. In them days i was just a big daft silly laddie. :wink:
Aye those were the days eh gasman :greengrin

Iggy Pope
14-06-2014, 08:22 AM

He's another one.....:greengrin. Commonly referred to as a 'bum' in his youth.

Winston Ingram
14-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Him & Riordan break my heart. Huge wasted talents. They should be in their prime in one of the worlds top leagues not spending their Saturday afternoons in a Wetherspoons

Phil D. Rolls
14-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Him & Riordan break my heart. Huge wasted talents. They should be in their prime in one of the worlds top leagues not spending their Saturday afternoons in a Wetherspoons

Tbh I think Gary's weight was always going to be a problem for him as he got older. Perhaps that was one of the attractions of the Colombian diet?

Riordan was probably too thin for the top level. Maybe going to Greggs more often might have helped.

Betty Boop
14-06-2014, 09:51 AM
All the best Gary son, hope you turn your life around, and put your troubles behind you. You would think he had committed murder, the way some on here are banging on.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2014, 09:59 AM
All the best Gary son, hope you turn your life around, and put your troubles behind you. You would think he had committed murder, the way some on here are banging on.

Exactly, 100k fraud and Class A drugs, its hardly worth a mention really.

easty
14-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Exactly, 100k fraud and Class A drugs, its hardly worth a mention really.

Standard Wednesday night for me.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Standard Wednesday night for me.

:greengrin

Turkish Green
14-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I have no sympathy for GOC. What he did / has done was all by himself. He had a golden opportunity to leave his old lifestyle behind when he went to Russia but he chose to continue to be jack-the-lad on his return to the UK. So he has only himself to blame for his downfall. He really must learn to pick a surname that he can spell, like "Smith", to give to Lothian's finest, although these days his face is well kent all over East Lothian.

Seriously overweight and unfit. But he still has a football brain, he could have done something to lose weight and get fit. But instead we'll likely see him on Jeremy Kyle next.

MSK
14-06-2014, 10:11 AM
The irony in this post is that you post with anonymity with a fake name having a go at other anonymous posters, my username is my initials and I have a pic of myself as my avatar, not very anonymous.Aye ..but yer in disguise !!! :greengrin

Killiehibbie
14-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Standard Wednesday night for me.Standard weekend for many, minus the Ferarri.

Kaiser1962
14-06-2014, 10:21 AM

I don't think this is exclusive to footballers. I think, as a country, our attitude is all wrong.

easty
14-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Standard weekend for many, minus the Ferarri.

The Ferrari is quite a big deal though.

jacomo
14-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Tbh I think Gary's weight was always going to be a problem for him as he got older. Perhaps that was one of the attractions of the Colombian diet?

Riordan was probably too thin for the top level. Maybe going to Greggs more often might have helped.

Riordan needed Andy Murray's fitness trainer. Astonishing how his body shape has changed over 5 years.

GOC: plenty of footballers work to keep weight off rather than add bulk. Can be done.

Killiehibbie
14-06-2014, 10:34 AM
The Ferrari is quite a big deal though.Not if you get the kind of money he was getting.

MrRobot
14-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Also, the 100k insurance fraud got dropped did it not?

Phil D. Rolls
14-06-2014, 11:48 AM
I have no sympathy for GOC. What he did / has done was all by himself. He had a golden opportunity to leave his old lifestyle behind when he went to Russia but he chose to continue to be jack-the-lad on his return to the UK. So he has only himself to blame for his downfall. He really must learn to pick a surname that he can spell, like "Smith", to give to Lothian's finest, although these days his face is well kent all over East Lothian.

Seriously overweight and unfit. But he still has a football brain, he could have done something to lose weight and get fit. But instead we'll likely see him on Jeremy Kyle next.

Except that Cocaine will have ****ed his CNS, so even if he knows what he wants his legs to do, the messages won't get there quickly enough.

Kaiser1962
14-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Except that Cocaine will have ****ed his CNS, so even if he knows what he wants his legs to do, the messages won't get there quickly enough.

I know the feeling. Not just my legs these days.......:greengrin

Dub
14-06-2014, 12:16 PM

All of this [apart from 'maybe it's just me']. He had the world at his feet. Earning great money and he threw it all away by doing the things he did. I should probably have some sympathy but all I have is apathy.

Betty Boop
14-06-2014, 01:52 PM

I'm not condoning coke use, but Maradona's CNS appeared to be unaffected.

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Nah, his hands used to do strange things.

easty
14-06-2014, 02:11 PM

But he was getting the good stuff straight out of South America. GOC was on a mixture of mainly bicarbonate of soda, daz, sherbet dip and chalk. It's those things that knacker your CNS.

Maybe.

iwasthere1972
14-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Nah, his hands used to do strange things.

Incorrect. It was God so maybe he snorted, sniffed or whatever they do with drugs.

Lewis77
15-06-2014, 02:44 AM
I hope the documentary has nothing to do with him or his problems but rather he's simply the presenter of a documentary about some random subject like 'Rambler's Edinburgh' or 'Scottish foliage'.

Garry O'connor presenting in the manner of David Attenborough but looking really wired using Garry's own vernacular.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2014, 08:45 AM

The man looks like a raving lunatic now though.

Maybe he had to take larger and larger amounts to function.

Phil D. Rolls
16-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I hope the documentary has nothing to do with him or his problems but rather he's simply the presenter of a documentary about some random subject like 'Rambler's Edinburgh' or 'Scottish foliage'.

Garry O'connor presenting in the manner of David Attenborough but looking really wired using Garry's own vernacular.

I could see him as a guest presenter on "Coast".