PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectations for next season?

KDY Hibs
12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
As we have no manager as yet, have not added to our depleted/quality lacking squad, what are our realistic expectations for the season ahead? Win the league? promotion through the play offs? or a season of re-building to make a real challenge the following season, while I of course want us to go right back up I'm struggling to see it.

Hermit Crab
12-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Avoid relegation.

Gatecrasher
12-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Promotion

roryg
12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
To b honest. Stay up .!!!

Thecat23
12-06-2014, 05:30 PM
First or second. We have a better budget than everyone bar The Rangers. A good manager should get us first or second!

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Promotion by first place or a play off, nothing else will do.

Dave-O
12-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Promotion, anything else is a failure for me.

3pm
12-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Win the league.

GlasgowHibee
12-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Reach the play offs.

hfc rd
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Promotion by first place or a play off, nothing else will do.

This. Anything other than promotion will be totally unacceptable.

AlbertK86
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
IF we get the right management team and a number of experienced motivated signings in to compliment the youth we already have - winning the league is possible

JustSimplyHibs
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
As we have no manager as yet, have not added to our depleted/quality lacking squad, what are our realistic expectations for the season ahead? Win the league? promotion through the play offs? or a season of re-building to make a real challenge the following season, while I of course want us to go right back up I'm struggling to see it.

Championship - Winners or, promotion at first time of asking
Ramsdens Cup - Winners
League Cup - 1/4's
Scottish - Semi

KDY Hibs
12-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Championship - Winners or, promotion at first time of asking
Ramsdens Cup - Winners
League Cup - 1/4's
Scottish - Semi

Would settle for that now!

Hibernia Na Eir
12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Will be a tough season fighting those gallant first world war warriors. How dare anyone pip them to the title!!

;-)

PeeJay
12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Avoid relegation.

Agree - after, all considering we currently have no new players and no manager, this is really the best we can hope for ... if we're being realistic

... if the club had any competent people in charge we would of course invest heavily in good players and a manager and do our utmost to win the title or take 2nd ... we don't of course, LD isn't fooling me ... sad really!

Keith_M
12-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Win the League.

That must be the aim and indeed has been stated as such by Dempster.

I'm not making any claims as to what Hibs will do, just pointing out that we need to be much more ambitious.

JustSimplyHibs
12-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Would settle for that now!

And we should demand this as fans... the only things going against us at this moment in time, is time itself to gather a management team and a first eleven - let alone a squad and for some of us, him - Petrie...

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Promotion either by winning the league or pumping Hamilton in the play offs.

Anything less would not be good enough.

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Want to gain promotion in any way possible, however, I am under no illusion, that it is going to be a very tough division to get out of.....Need to hit the ground running

Captain Trips
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
As a club? looking to win the league.

However until we have a manager in place and some players I think then we can say that this team has it or not.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
My expectations are very low at the moment which is a sad state of affairs approaching a season in this division.

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 06:42 PM
battling it out with Falkirk, for 3rd spot

eastterrace
we will finish 4th and lose in the play offs ( so will hearts as well ) its the following season were we will be challenging for the title with hearts and it will be a toss up who wins.

Jones28
Win the league.

This

Bishop Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Being realistic I'll be happy if we make the play-offs. Whoever takes the Manager's job will know that if we don't get promotion their will be huge pressure from the fans for his head. Same goes for Sally and Caveman.

erskine-hibby
12-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Until I see who we finally get in as boss, plus what kind of players we sign I don't know what my expectations are.

Eyrie
12-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Impossible to have realistic expectations when we don't have a manager or squad to base those realistic expectations on.

But the only target for the coming season is promotion, whether by winning the division or through the playoffs. We have to have a budget in place which is not only bigger than each of the other "champion"ship sides (except Sevco Huns) but also better than any top flight team that we meet in a play off, because the cost of staying down for more than one season is too great.

weonlywon6-2
12-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Reach the play offs.

I think this is our best shot,just cant see how we will keep up with rangers

Ronniekirk
12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Until I see who we finally get in as boss, plus what kind of players we sign I don't know what my expectations are.
Exactly this it's the wrong time to be asking this question anything at this stage is just wishfull thinking

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Promotion any way possible. I am loving the fact that Hertz and Gers fans have already sown up the league and promotion before a ball has been kicked.

Islington Hibs
12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Obviously promotion year one. :greengrin

Realistically given the competition, the fact that the new manager needs to re-build from scratch and the season is 6 weeks away and gelling takes time, and we have a new CEO, who seems the real deal but has no magic wand, it could easily take us a couple of seasons. Happy to give the team time but lets hope we can do it.

BT58
12-06-2014, 07:36 PM
First or second. We have a better budget than everyone bar The Rangers. A good manager should get us first or second!
Im with you T C ,, as long as the board backs him 100%,, we have to start signing players soon [11 days till training]
2 good strikers, 2 good wingers [with pace] 2 Goalies [at least], a good CH,and someone similar to Boozy,[ who can beat a man and pass it to a GREEN shirt]
We can only dream,,,eh,,,mind you all of above will cost cash,,,,will the board have the baws to back their man
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

easty
12-06-2014, 07:39 PM
We have to go up, and we'll have a team and manager in place who are capable of taking us up. Would like to win it but going up via playoffs would be fine by me.

7 Hills
12-06-2014, 07:41 PM
As ever, with Hibs; I travel more in Hope than Expectation. :wink::flag:

MyJo
12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
In the play-offs (at the top end of course) at the very least.

Nutmegged
12-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Realistic expectations, 3rd place and have a real go at the Ramsdens cup, as much as people wont like this post there is just no logical reason to believe we could hope for any better other than blind faith.

Promotion will remain a definite possibility if we finish 3rd but I just dont know as of yet how I can believe we'll fait any better, maybe when the new manager is announced and some new players come in my opinion will change but as of right now if we have a real go of the Ramsdens and finish top 3 and in the Play-Off's then that night be considered "Target Met"

RedHibby
12-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Given where we are at the moment I would be over the moon if we were in the top 4. Thats not to say a new Manager and some new players could improve on that.

Criswell
12-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Anyone who expects this pantomime of a club to get its act together to make a promotion challenge next season is quite frankly living in cloud-cuckoo land!!!

Sir David Gray
12-06-2014, 10:22 PM
At this moment in time, taking all things into account I expect 4th or 5th.

If we bring in a decent manager and a good few players, I would hope that we'll be challenging for the title.

#2 Double Tap
12-06-2014, 10:24 PM
We should win the league.

Unseen work
12-06-2014, 10:52 PM
i dont have much faith of us finishing first or getting promoted. But its what i expect.

Rangers are in more finnancial difficulty right now
Hearts squad is in not better condition than ours and have just appointed a inexperienced manager

basehibby
12-06-2014, 11:09 PM
The Ambition of Hibs next season should be to win the Championship and be promoted automatically - as for expectations, it would be reasonable to expect that we should take part in the playoffs.

At the end of all this, we could easilly end up NOT getting promoted at all next season and we have to be ready for that - it's going to be tough and failing to be promoted should not be viewed as outright failure. Particularly if we end up getting a younger manager such as Murray in then this should not be seen as an automatic firing offence - a team needs to be built and this will probably need more than one season. We need to be prepared to support the new manager and team throughout this process.

Just_Jimmy
13-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Win the league.

Waxy
13-06-2014, 05:29 AM
2nd

Steve20
13-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Won't be promoted. Rangers and Hearts are actually bothering to sign players. We don't even seem to have a manager lined up. Waiting two weeks to sack Butcher has left us playing catch up already.

Forza Fred
13-06-2014, 05:55 AM
How. can we have ANY expectations at the moment?

We don't even have a goalie, never mind a team, or a manager!

marinello59
13-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Won't be promoted. Rangers and Hearts are actually bothering to sign players. We don't even seem to have a manager lined up. Waiting two weeks to sack Butcher has left us playing catch up already.

You're not usually this upbeat.

Hibercelona
13-06-2014, 06:07 AM
The Rangers will win more or less every game. So we're not going to be winning the league by a long shot.

Realistically, we should be beating Hearts to 2nd spot fairly comfortably. I say "should", because what we expect and what we actually get are 2 different things.

Onion
13-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Challenging for a playoff spot but might have to settle for a year of transition. Cannot possibly see how the club can pull a whole squad together in a few weeks that would be good or deep enough to challenge Sevco or Yams.

marinello59
13-06-2014, 06:30 AM
The club have already said we are aiming to go straight back up so I expect us to be challenging for the title.

Aldo
13-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Up near the top either being promoted by winning the Championship or via the play -offs.

I want us to aim high and finish top.

Aldo
13-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Anyone who expects this pantomime of a club to get its act together to make a promotion challenge next season is quite frankly living in cloud-cuckoo land!!!

Cuckoo!! Cuckoo!! Cuckoo!!!

Why bother if that's how you think..

Bob Box Fish
13-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Impossible to say until we see who the new manager is / what he has for a squad.

As it stands avoid relegation.

neil7908
13-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Promotion. Don't think we'll win the league so we'll need to make sure the squad is strong enough not just to compete with Hearts and the Rangers but also better than whoever finishes 2nd bottom of the SPL. I'm concerned as it stands that we might be looking at another year in this division unless we get things spot on in the next few weeks

jimmyboco1875
13-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Attractive football and hopefully get promoted and a decent cup run, and if not successful on getting promoted have a decent side there to win the league the next year, it's all about starting again

Onceinawhile
13-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Treble.

I don't think the Scottish can ever be termed as "reasonable" when it comes to our expectations.

jonty
13-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Our aim should be the same as the last time. Straight back up. Points record total. Never lose a game.
Rangers have been absolute rubbish the last couple of seasons. AM has become complacent and theres nothing to stop the other teams taking points from them.

As for us, it comes down to the manager and the players he brings in. So far, we're relegation fodder.

carnoustiehibee
13-06-2014, 07:55 AM
20points ahead of 3rd place, Neck n neck with rangers till the last game v Huns where we get a man sent off and they win 1-0.

Beaten by hearts 4-0 in the playoff game

Anything else would be a failure in my eyes

stuart01
13-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Win the league.

exactly.

NOLA
13-06-2014, 08:24 AM
play off

ballengeich
13-06-2014, 08:28 AM
A realistic expectation is to make the play-offs as The Rangers should win the division comfortably. Once in the play-offs, promotion is a possibility and a hope.

edinburghhibee
13-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Not read all this thread but for me nothing less than 1st is failure in my eyes, I will take promotion through the playoffs tho ;)

Cameron1875
13-06-2014, 11:31 AM
League: Playoffs
Ramsdens cup: Out in first round
League cup: QF
Scot Cup: QF

Even if we don't win the playoffs I'd at least like to see us return to playing some decent football. No point getting promoted with a team of cloggers that will have us in relegation scrap straight away.

MrRobot
13-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't see the play-off final as being unrealistic. Winning shouldn't be unrealistic but it's all gonna boil down to the calibre of player we can attract and manager too.

Saint Hibee
13-06-2014, 12:01 PM
My realistic expectation is that a Hibs player successfully passes the ball along the ground to another Hibs player. Anything else is a bonus.

Keith_M
13-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Well, Cuckoo Clocks were invented in Southern Germany so you could be right :wink:

Keith_M
13-06-2014, 12:52 PM
The Rangers will win more or less every game. So we're not going to be winning the league by a long shot.

Realistically, we should be beating Hearts to 2nd spot fairly comfortably. I say "should", because what we expect and what we actually get are 2 different things.

Have you actually watched The Rangers recently?

Eyrie
13-06-2014, 06:06 PM
League: Playoffs
Ramsdens cup: Out in first round
League cup: QF
Scot Cup: QF

Even if we don't win the playoffs I'd at least like to see us return to playing some decent football. No point getting promoted with a team of cloggers that will have us in relegation scrap straight away.

Given the number of new players needed at the club, it would be to our advantage to have two or three games in that competition to help build team work.

highland hibbee
13-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Fair point, any time I have seen them on the box they have been mince. I know we have no manager and hardly any players, but if we as fans are already accepting second or worse then why will the players try for better, we are Hibernian F.C, we should always aim to be the best and if we fall short then let it not be from lack if demure or belief. GGTTH and FTH!!!

highland hibbee
13-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Fair point, any time I have seen them on the box they have been mince. I know we have no manager and hardly any players, but if we as fans are already accepting second or worse then why will the players try for better, we are Hibernian F.C, we should always aim to be the best and if we fall short then let it not be from lack if demure or belief. GGTTH and FTH!!!

Should read effort lol

yeezus.
13-06-2014, 07:42 PM
A realistic expectation is to make the play-offs as The Rangers should win the division comfortably. Once in the play-offs, promotion is a possibility and a hope.

Totally agree!

BVB Hibs
14-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Playoff spot is a realistic expectation. Realistically the Rangers will buy their way out of the league so it should be a straight shootout between us and the Hearts for 2nd spot. None of the cup events are of any priority to me I'm afraid. We can worry about ending the Scottish Cup plight once we're back in the top division, and the League and Ramsdens cup are just unnecessary distractions this year as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not going to judge success and failure by whether we go up or stay down though. The playoffs will be incredibly difficult to get through, especially from 3rd or 4th, and for that reason I think reaching them should be the first goal that determines what we do this time next year. However, with this rebuild there's a few other things I'd like to see happening, and that's what I'll judge the success of the side on. I want fit, well drilled outfit playing football the way it should be played. I want a focus on our younger players as essentially that's what's going to help this club grow, if we're a development club we'll progress a lot quicker rather than making 6/7 mediocre signings in the transfer merry-go-round each summer. Lastly, I want a genuine belief that the structures we have in place are going to see us progress on our own accord, and that we've a management team and squad in place that will improve without massive intervention in the transfer market.

If we've got all that, finish 4th and go out in the first playoff round, I'll be happy. If we look like making forward steps and that we've a young squad that will do it at the next time of asking and will develop into the guts of a good SPL side, then I can deal with not getting promoted this season. I want to see a team that when it gets back to the SPL will continue to improve, rather than need another overhaul two years down the line. We could go out and recruit a bunch of seasoned pros, get out first time of asking and then end up in the same situation we had this season. LD promised a cultural shift at hibs, and that's what I'm most interested in seeing as it's my firm belief that's how hibs will develop into a successful club.

DH1875
14-06-2014, 08:00 AM
We should be aiming for first place but being realistic we'll finish 3rd or 4th.
I don't get the whole rangers thing and don't see them walking the league. Sure we don't the spending power (I think, no idea where there et money wise these days) of them but we don't need to worry about them. Build a team strong enough to beat everyone else and the rangers games will take care of themselves.

Speedy
14-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Our target should be winning the league. My expectations are playoff places.

Hibercelona
14-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Don't need to. All the matters is the statistics and they absolutely dominated League 1 in that respect. I don't really see it being a great deal different in the Championship. Their budget will still be far greater than our own.

easty
14-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Don't need to. All the matters is the statistics and they absolutely dominated League 1 in that respect. I don't really see it being a great deal different in the Championship. Their budget will still be far greater than our own.

I agree with that. We wouldn't have dominated League 1 in the same way they did.

Holmesdale Hibs
14-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Difficult to say without a team or manager but we should be recruiting with promotion being the target. While this is definitely do-able, there's not much room for error with The Huns and **** in the league. If we scrape through via the playoffs then I'd take it now.

sleeping giant
14-06-2014, 05:46 PM
We seriously should be trying to win the league.
I do not understand why anyone would not have that as a minimum.
I expect us to try to win every competition we enter.

silverhibee
14-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Quadruple for me.

BIGK
14-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Can't see us having a good start to the season. What I'm hoping will happen is that we get everyone in by the end of the transfer window that we need. That then gives the new manager till near xmas to get all the players bedded in. We grow as a team the longer the season goes on, finnish 3rd with loads of momentum. Beat Falkirk 2-0, 2-0 then go on and pump the smellies 5-1 then Hamilton 7-0.
Ok, got carried away at the end, but you get the jist of it.