PDA

View Full Version : Things can only get better

Islington Hibs
12-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I was bored this lunch time thus decided to look at our record since the first season I supported Hibernian 1976-7 some 38 season's ago.

Over that period we have never been 2nd, 3rd 3 times, 4th 4 times and 5th 5 times. Our average position has been 7th. We have been relegated 3 times and have toyed with relegation at least another 3/4 times. We have won the League Cup twice and been to three cup finals. Hearts, over that period have been 2nd 4 times, 3rd 7 times, 4h 3 times and 5th times. They have spent 4 years down but have seldom toyed with relegation outside that. They have never won the league cup but won the Scottish Cup 3 times. Outside the seasons we have been in different leagues we have finished higher than them 11 times. They have finished higher then us 23 times.

Even more shockingly I calculate there have been 123 league derbies since 1976-7. We have won 23, drawn 48 and lost 52. Our win record, over that period, is 18.7%. We have got more points against them than them us in just 7 seasons, with 6 seasons the honours equal. 21 seasons they have got more derby points than us.

I have not written this to especially depress people. It changes nothing Hibs forever and all that but what has gone wrong over half a life time an not just relative to Hearts? Our playing performance has been mediocre at best despite maintaining a very large support and great facilities. In the 30 years before that we had the better of them and were often at the very forefront of Scottish ad even European game. This is a pretty long pendulum swing......

I know some of it is financial drugging, especially over the last 12 years or so, but that can not explain it all. We maintain the potential for sure but what is the missing ingredient? For me it is self-belief and far too many short tem decisions and attempted quick fixes. Hopefully this is the start of a new era and that long pendulum swings the other way.

LancsHibs
12-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Well what does that tell us? During that period Hearts have been mediocre and we gave been less than mediocre, especially against them! Indeed things can only get better. Chin up our day will come!

Greentinted
12-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but since 1976, off the top of ma wee heid I recall SC Finals in 1979, 2001, 2012, 2013 and LC Finals in 1985, 1991 (w), 1993, 2004 and 2007 (w).
Which, even using my crap numeracy skills, is 9 separate Finals; not a good enough success rate perhaps but more than a mere 5 'cup final' appearances!

Islington Hibs
12-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but since 1976, off the top of ma wee heid I recall SC Finals in 1979, 2001, 2012, 2013 and LC Finals in 1985, 1991 (w), 1993, 2004 and 2007 (w).
Which, even using my crap numeracy skills, is 9 separate Finals; not a good enough success rate perhaps but more than a mere 5 'cup final' appearances!

Your right- we have done quite well on that front.!! Still doesn't explain our v mediocre league form however.

LeithBoozy
12-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Your right- we have done quite well on that front.!! Still doesn't explain our v mediocre league form however.

Thank you for the statistics, I know you were not trying to depress me Islington but I just asked my wife to hide the sharp kitchen knives. :greengrin

yeezus.
12-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I started supporting Hibernian FC on the 5th of January 2001 after watching a 0-0 draw at Stair Park.

Since then, we have won 1 trophy.

ArmadaleHibs
12-06-2014, 03:12 PM
My first season was 1978-1979. I was five. We've been on average, crap, since then with the odd bit of success thrown in. My journey like every other hibby has been roller coaster material with longer downs and shorter ups. Yes it really can only get better.

But, one thing can't get better. You should thank your dad and your dads dad, your mum and your mums mum, your uncles or brothers or just your better judgement, because they are responsible (not for all but for most) for bringing you into this family of hibernian. It could get worse and I'd still be happy and thankfull that my team is

HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB

Please bring GGTTH (someone, anyone)

scuttle
12-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I started supporting Hibernian FC on the 5th of January 2001 after watching a 0-0 draw at Stair Park.

Since then, we have won 1 trophy.

Really !! the 5/1 2001 sniff sniff

Islington Hibs
12-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you for the statistics, I know you were not trying to depress me Islington but I just asked my wife to hide the sharp kitchen knives. :greengrin

Well if you were a Man City fan it probably felt even worse, until now.

Thing are only gong get better so you can put he sharpened knife away :wink:

Stax
12-06-2014, 04:54 PM
:greengrin This, I thought the thread title sounded optimistic, but jeezo I feel like the boy on the fast show, 'it's black, everything is black'...

LeithBoozy
12-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Well if you were a Man City fan it probably felt even worse, until now.

Thing are only gong get better so you can put he sharpened knife away :wink: Ok mate I will take you at your word about the future getting better, its good to hear a bit optimism for a change. :greengrin

LeithBoozy
12-06-2014, 05:00 PM
:greengrin This, I thought the thread title sounded optimistic, but jeezo I feel like the boy on the fast show, 'it's black, everything is black'...
Well it could be worse Stax, we could be one of the Budges toy-boys.

GordonHFC
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Does anyone think that the disappearing spray paint being used at the World Cup would work on our Rod?

yeezus.
12-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Really !! the 5/1 2001 sniff sniff

Sorry? :confused: