PDA

View Full Version : Scotland in South America 1977

--------
12-06-2014, 08:12 AM
As another World Cup starts, a reminder of a 'glorious' episode in Scotland's football history.

!5/06/77 - Chile 2 Scotland 4 in the Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile.

18/06/77 - Argentina 1 Scotland 1 in the Estadio Monumental, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Warm-up matches to the '78 World Cup - first time a European side had played in either stadium following the military coups that placed Pinochet and Vileda in power.

But it wasn't just Scotland and Ernie Walker; not many people in the world game gave even a tiny wee **** about what was going on.

Priorities - life, death and torture are a lot more important than even the World Cup.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11036214/while-world-watched-world-cup-brings-back-memories-argentina-dirty-war

I should say that I was one of those who welcomed those results entirely unthinkingly and uncritically as proof that Scotland would be able to compete at the WC as a top nation, and that we had a good chance of making at least the semis.

It never occurred to me that there was a deeper significance to what Scotland had done in playing those games, or to FIFA's refusal to take the tournament away from a nation whose government had 'disappeared' something like 30,000 of its own citizens, murdering them in the most atrocious ways.

All I was concerned about was 'Ally's Tartan Army'. Most Scots were the same, tbh.

So I post this as a 'mea culpa' and a reminder to myself as to others that football ain't that important in the great scheme of things.

GreenOnions
12-06-2014, 09:22 AM
That article is incredibly moving. I was only 12 at the time and my attitude then was the same as yours. Thanks for that Doddie.

WindyMiller
12-06-2014, 09:29 AM
As another World Cup starts, a reminder of a 'glorious' episode in Scotland's football history.

18/06/77 - Argentina 1 Scotland 1 in the Estadio Monumental, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Warm-up matches to the '78 World Cup - first time a European side had played in either stadium following the military coups that placed Pinochet and Vileda in power.

But it wasn't just Scotland and Ernie Walker; not many people in the world game gave even a tiny wee **** about what was going on.

Priorities - life, death and torture are a lot more important than even the World Cup.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11036214/while-world-watched-world-cup-brings-back-memories-argentina-dirty-war

I should say that I was one of those who welcomed those results entirely unthinkingly and uncritically as proof that Scotland would be able to compete at the WC as a top nation, and that we had a good chance of making at least the semis.

It never occurred to me that there was a deeper significance to what Scotland had done in playing those games, or to FIFA's refusal to take the tournament away from a nation whose government had 'disappeared' something like 30,000 of its own citizens, murdering them in the most atrocious ways.

All I was concerned about was 'Ally's Tartan Army'. Most Scots were the same, tbh.

So I post this as a 'mea culpa' and a reminder to myself as to others that football ain't that important in the great scheme of things.

Thanks for posting that Doddie.

Iggy Pope
12-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I vaguely remember an article when the squad came back that John Blackley had kept the crowd in Chile entertained with his keepie-uppie.

It was something he was renowned for.

Edit: Not that I'm belittling the political message.

Stax
12-06-2014, 11:38 AM

VENCEREMOS! I had a Chilean girlfriend many moons ago and to be honest before was blissfully unaware of the regime and the atrocities commited on their own people. Thanks for posting.

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I was 19/20, so had a little bit more insight. I can remember shouting at the telly when the sleazy ******* of a president (Videla?) presented Passarell with the WC. Whether that was poilitically-motivated, or because they had just beaten the team that had put Scotland out..... who can say? :greengrin

The same is happening now. The injustices and social unrest that have been going on in Brazil these past few years will be forgotten by most of us for the next 5 weeks.

lobster
12-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Excellent post.

I was very young at the time but vaguely remember SWP posters condemning Scotland's visit to these places.
Is it true that Cruyff's decision not to go to Argentina 78 was partly influenced by this? I hope so.

SonOfDavidFrancey
12-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks for posting this. A timely reminder.