PDA

View Full Version : Match of the Day World Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

timewilltell
11-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Do we really need a 3 minute introduction to tell us that England invented the beautiful game?

I'm annoyed, just watched it. Good old England, just think if if hadn't been for them we wouldn't be having a World Cup in Brazil!

So patronising it's unreal!!

Independance?? It's a YES fro me!!

leither17
11-06-2014, 10:03 PM
The guy was born in Brazil to a Scottish dad as well

Gus
11-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Don't bloody watch it then ffs

The_Horde
11-06-2014, 10:34 PM

This.

Kaff
11-06-2014, 10:50 PM

But it's the B B C!
There should be balance in what they show. I'm no nationalist but they create such a dislike with their sports coverage

The_Horde
11-06-2014, 10:52 PM
But it's the B B C!
There should be balance in what they show. I'm no nationalist but they create such a dislike with their sports coverage

There should be but if you don't like it don't give them the satisfaction.

Vote with your feet (or telly remote as it is)

sleeping giant
11-06-2014, 10:54 PM
National broadcaster gets behind national team shocker

Gus
11-06-2014, 10:55 PM
But it's the B B C!

U have river city

The_Horde
11-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Ltyf!

Kaff
11-06-2014, 11:08 PM
;4058845']There should be but if you don't like it don't give them the satisfaction.

Vote with your feet (or telly remote as it is)

You turn on a channel of the national broadcaster and you expect balanced reporting, if I knew in advance they would neglect any reference to Charles Miller's heritage then maybe I would have not tuned in. They do themselves no favours whatsoever, if I remember right Alan Hansen was paid more pa than they pay for Scottish football. And Gus saying we get River City needs to grow up fair enough it's a laugh but this is a (small) og in Independence argument which as I said I'm in the balance but more likely to vote No atm then you get this shan tv.
Possible over reaction but I'll not be alone

Thecat23
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM
England didn't invent it... ;)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=729661463758206&id=162922127098812

zosohibee
12-06-2014, 02:07 AM
But it's the B B C!

Why, they are the only British team that qualified and their population outstrips any other British nation by tens of millions, why would you change your coverage to pacify 10% of the population when 90% will be perfectly happy the way it is. If we want balance in World Cup coverage then we should ****ing well qualify.

H18Y GW
12-06-2014, 04:17 AM
I'm watching it and I'm still firmly in the No camp

I actually think this is the least biased and most low key they have ever entered a tournament in media terms .

C'mon Italy , Uraguay and Costa Rica .

Stewboy
12-06-2014, 05:20 AM
What happened to Shearer. Looks like is bathed in a vat of Tango!

fat freddy
12-06-2014, 05:41 AM
It's creosote, he gave the fence a quick respray before setting off for Brazil

Gus
12-06-2014, 05:52 AM
You turn on a channel of the national broadcaster and you expect balanced reporting, if I knew in advance they would neglect any reference to Charles Miller's heritage then maybe I would have not tuned in. They do themselves no favours whatsoever, if I remember right Alan Hansen was paid more pa than they pay for Scottish football. And Gus saying we get River City needs to grow up fair enough it's a laugh but this is a (small) og in Independence argument which as I said I'm in the balance but more likely to vote No atm then you get this shan tv.
Possible over reaction but I'll not be alone

Why is it an OG? Why would the Indy debate be considered when they are meant to be on the fence. The only people who bring up the Indy debate at every opportunity is the yes people. Squeaky bum time is it.

It appears that people don't want England to do well coz of 1966 and the media hype surrounding England every time a major tournament comes around.

If people know this then why watch the programmes or read the papers.

Do not let jealousy consume you.

Now go back to watching river city or reading the white paper ;-)

heretoday
12-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Big deal.

SaulGoodman
12-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Let's turn our attention away from England from a minute and talk about Scotland's chances. They didn't qualify but let's talk about them.

Aldo
12-06-2014, 06:55 AM

Been taking tanning tips from Jimmy Calderwood!! ;-)

Hermit Crab
12-06-2014, 07:07 AM
;4058861']Ltyf!

:agree:

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
I will be catching as many games on tv as I can but realise that even if the game is Greece v Ivory Coast I can expect a "report from the England camp" before the game, at half time and after the final whistle.

It is not a case of 'switching it off' as every British channel will be the same but I only tuned in to see Greece v Ivory Coast. It is annoying but not a surprise anymore as I realise that the 'British' tv is unsurprisingly set up to cater to the near 60 million or so English people in the UK. Consumer demand and all that.

Nothing to do with politics or nationalism but I have always hankered for Scottish tv coverage at these big tournaments, with discussions on teams from a Scottish perspective and Scottish studios. I would even be interested in the occasional 'report from the England camp' but maybe the day of the game and not EVERY bloody time you switch on.

Lucius Apuleius
12-06-2014, 07:28 AM
I will be catching as many games on tv as I can but realise that even if the game is Greece v Ivory Coast I can expect a "report from the England camp" before the game, at half time and after the final whistle.

It is not a case of 'switching it off' as every British channel will be the same but I only tuned in to see Greece v Ivory Coast. It is annoying but not a surprise anymore as I realise that the 'British' tv is unsurprisingly set up to cater to the near 60 million or so English people in the UK. Consumer demand and all that.

Nothing to do with politics or nationalism but I have always hankered for Scottish tv coverage at these big tournaments, with discussions on teams from a Scottish perspective and Scottish studios. I would even be interested in the occasional 'report from the England camp' but maybe the day of the game and not EVERY bloody time you switch on.

In a nutshell Spikey boy.

Kaff
12-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Why is it an OG? Why would the Indy debate be considered when they are meant to be on the fence. The only people who bring up the Indy debate at every opportunity is the yes people. Squeaky bum time is it.

It appears that people don't want England to do well coz of 1966 and the media hype surrounding England every time a major tournament comes around.

If people know this then why watch the programmes or read the papers.

Do not let jealousy consume you.

Now go back to watching river city or reading the white paper ;-)

I am in the No camp but when you switch on a programme expecting fair and reasonable discussion (and fully aware they will have full reporting from the England camp, no problem with that) but to put forward that an Englishman brought football to Brazil is their typical skewing of facts that is so annoying at these sporting events.
I have no problem in them covering the England team

1068gary
12-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Do we really need a 3 minute introduction to tell us that England invented the beautiful game?

I'm annoyed, just watched it. Good old England, just think if if hadn't been for them we wouldn't be having a World Cup in Brazil!

So patronising it's unreal!!

Independance?? It's a YES fro me!!

Totally agree, turned it off and went to ma bed!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Agree with the gist, but dont agree about Scottish coverage. Scottish coverage of our own game is dreadful enouhg, without having them ruin the world cup too. Like it or not, BBC and ITV just do it better. Not because they are English, just because they are better. I stopped watching Sportscene a couple of years back because watching a presenter state the obvious, then having some semi-illiterate current player (who cant or wont say anything for fear of anonoying one of his mates), or even worse some absolute welt like Sandy Clark repeat what i just saw with my own eyes, was not what i considered good coverage.

Why does any of the coverage have to be so parochial? Why cant we appreciate it for what it is, without having to have a pathetic, tenuous Scottish link?

Ill get pleters for this, but i enjoy watching a tournament more when Scotland arent involved, in a funny sort of way.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Let's turn our attention away from England from a minute and talk about Scotland's chances. They didn't qualify but let's talk about them.

Just checked with the bookies, and you can get much better odds on Scotland winning it, and both teams have the same chance. :greengrin

sambajustice
12-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Cant believe people are actually going to vote no!

You should be ashamed to call yourself Scottish if you vote no.

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

Scotland is either a country or its not!

theonlywayisup
12-06-2014, 08:46 AM

That sir, is total rubbish!

I am proud to be Scottish and proud to be British.

Beefster
12-06-2014, 08:50 AM

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

http://isweatpretty.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif?w=500&h=248

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Theres a nice big thread in The Holy Ground for all the independance stuff.

Matt92
12-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Those who want independence can't even spell it...

Baader
12-06-2014, 09:19 AM
If we want BBC balancing reports from the England camp then we need to start qualifying for major tournaments!

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Agree with the gist, but dont agree about Scottish coverage. Scottish coverage of our own game is dreadful enouhg, without having them ruin the world cup too. Like it or not, BBC and ITV just do it better. Not because they are English, just because they are better. I stopped watching Sportscene a couple of years back because watching a presenter state the obvious, then having some semi-illiterate current player (who cant or wont say anything for fear of anonoying one of his mates), or even worse some absolute welt like Sandy Clark repeat what i just saw with my own eyes, was not what i considered good coverage.

Why does any of the coverage have to be so parochial? Why cant we appreciate it for what it is, without having to have a pathetic, tenuous Scottish link?

Ill get pleters for this, but i enjoy watching a tournament more when Scotland arent involved, in a funny sort of way.

I wasn't suggesting a bagpipes and shortbread type of coverage but just more sort of punditry you and I could relate to. Kind of like how we would talk about games on here (minus the abuse :wink:) but without bringing every comment back to how it affects England.

The BBC anf ITV have the coverage but we don't get the presenters we would normally have for a Scottish International and whilst many have gripes about individual presenters or pundits why oh why can't we have our own presenters on the International stage the same as when we have a Scotland international?

The simple answer is of course the casual acceptance that the English coverage IS the British coverage.

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 09:31 AM
If we want BBC balancing reports from the England camp then we need to start qualifying for major tournaments!

So if Scotland were the only home nation at a World Cup it would be the Scottish coverage broadcast to the rest of the UK for the duration of the World Cup. We both know that wouldn't happen.

Kato
12-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the lecture. Do you speak publicly?

Kato
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
So if Scotland were the only home nation at a World Cup it would be the Scottish coverage broadcast to the rest of the UK for the duration of the World Cup. We both know that wouldn't happen.

In the past, when Scotland was the only qualifier from the UK, yes, the coverage was very good.

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 09:38 AM
In the past, when Scotland was the only qualifier from the UK, yes, the coverage was very good.

That wasn't the question. You only got Scottish coverage for Scotland games which I find patronising. The rest of the time it was the English coverage.

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Those who want independence can't even spell it...

wow, so much ignorance in so few words, plank

le bill
12-06-2014, 10:08 AM

DEARY DEARY ME
so much for the "balanced" debate :confused:

southfieldhibby
12-06-2014, 10:10 AM
You'll not find anyone more pro YES than me, but I don't mind The BBC going ott about England one bit...what else do folk expect ffs!

sambajustice
12-06-2014, 10:13 AM
DEARY DEARY ME
so much for the "balanced" debate :confused:

Well its black and white for me.

We are or we aren't! Not both!

Turkish Green
12-06-2014, 10:17 AM
How many times will 1966 get mentioned on the BBC / ITV? At least John Motson has retired.

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 10:27 AM
How many times will 1966 get mentioned on the BBC / ITV? At least John Motson has retired.

TBH, most of us won't notice. It will only be picked up on by those who care one way or another.

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 10:37 AM

You should be ashamed to call yourself a democrat with a statement like that.

Gus
12-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Utter p1sh

hibee_nation
12-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Well said mate.

PS after independence you can still be proud to be British, the land mass will still be there called Britain.

Stax
12-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm just looking forward to it, enjoying the build up including the BBC last night. Just a competition I really enjoy regardless :agree:

EH54
12-06-2014, 11:40 AM

I have friends and family who are voting no and as much as i don't understand there argument for remaining part of the united kingdom i would never bring there patriotism into account nor think there any less Scottish than myself for voting No. Arguments like this believe it or not damages the Yes camp we need to leave the negativity to the BT campaign and focus on the positives. statements like this will only put people off voting Yes

only my opinion off course.

Kato
12-06-2014, 11:53 AM
That wasn't the question. You only got Scottish coverage for Scotland games which I find patronising. The rest of the time it was the English coverage.

Oh well, you'll have to carry on considering yourself patronised.

Personally couldn't give a monkey's, I'll be turning on at kick-off time and pottering about at half-time so I'll hardly have time to watch and get myself all het-up.

Baader
12-06-2014, 11:59 AM

As in Scotland qualifying? As for the media would prefer chic young etc don't get broadcast out of Scotland.

Irrelevant anyway as BBC Scotland is not independent of BBC. Likewise stv and itv.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2014, 12:03 PM
And so it starts.

The fact that British TV channels spend 3 minutes talking about the history of the only British team who are at the World Cup is very irritating and offensive.

But only to a tiny percentage of the British population who should be ignored.

It's actually amusing to see people who have been nursing their wrath to keep it warm, exploding when the weight of the chip on their shoulder gets too heavy.

Sudds_1
12-06-2014, 12:07 PM
To be fair............ there's much less flag waving and hysteria about how engerland will easily march to the advanced stages of the tournament.

For the first time I'm hearing certain sections of the english meeja rubbishing their own and predicting an early exit. That realisim is refreshing as well as surprising. You will always get certain eejits in the english press noising them up as world beaters........jeezo remember allys army in Argentina? :greengrin But I think this time they know keenly that they are weaker than some....and will be lucky to get through.

Far cry from previous world cups.......................
:cb

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 12:09 PM
And so it starts.

The fact that British TV channels spend 3 minutes talking about the history of the only British team who are at the World Cup is very irritating and offensive.

It's actually amusing to see people who have been nursing their wrath to keep it warm, exploding when the weight of the chip on their shoulder gets too heavy.

10/10.

.. and gatherin' their brows like gatherin' storm.

Sudds_1
12-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Away and take a good hard look at yourself and consider an apology. That remark is both offensive and of particular offence to me as a SCOTSMAN first and foremost.

If you and your kind are what awaits me in an independent scotland - thats the biggest reason I've seen yet for a no vote. And moving out if its a yes.

Lewis77
12-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm getting a wee bit excited. My bets are on and let the world cup begin!

Yes! Also the gentleman has a point, we either are a country or we are not. Unfortunately we are a country 'not' at the world cup.

My big money is on Argentina to win it, when I say big I mean £20.

God I wish we were there, I blame that yam for everything.

Kaff
12-06-2014, 01:10 PM
And so it starts.

It isn't the coverage of the team, no problem with that. Their intro piece was all about emphasising the English aspect of Charles Miller, no mention of his heritage and giving anything other than a very narrow line on his story. If they were truly a balanced British broadcaster then his Scottish roots would have been mentioned, if they were looking into his story they will know damn fine how highly thought off in Scotland it is that he introduced football to Brazil

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 01:31 PM
And so it starts.

And so it starts right enough. 3 minutes, aye right. Give it a few days we'll know what Roy Hodgson has for breakfast, Wayne Rooney's chosen hair weaver, how good Englands training pitch is, how the locals are treating the squad and every conceivable English team formation Mark Lawrenson can think of whist he bemoaning how the heat in Brazil is ridiculous. Only if you tune in to watch Switzerland v Ecuador right enough.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
12-06-2014, 01:37 PM
The OP mentioned a 3 minute introduction.

Millions of people in the UK want to know all that stuff, much in the same way as we devour everything Hibs.

Do you really think they shouldn't provide it because a few folk up the road have a chip on their shoulder?

Or do you really think the BBC should spend millions to broadcast a Scotlandcentric show in competition to the UK version?

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I love the way they have all these little tie-ins like hockey, rugby and the cricket at the moment and trying to get the moral up by belting out GSTQ all the time....saddos really

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I love the way they have all these little tie-ins like hockey, rugby and the cricket at the moment and trying to get the moral up by belting out GSTQ all the time....saddos really

What is sad about celebrating your national identity?

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 02:02 PM
The OP mentioned a 3 minute introduction.

Millions of people in the UK want to know all that stuff, much in the same way as we devour everything Hibs.

Do you really think they shouldn't provide it because a few folk up the road have a chip on their shoulder?

Or do you really think the BBC should spend millions to broadcast a Scotlandcentric show in competition to the UK version?

Millions of English people do want to devour all the information about England in this World Cup of course they do. The BBC provides for them by just switching setup(same presenters, same commentators, same pundits) from the Match of the Day coverage of English Premiership football and England internationals and broadcasts it to the whole of Britain.

Could you imagine if Scotland were the only British team there and Sportscene provided the coverage of every game to the whole of the nation. Chick Young reporting from the team golf course pre match, Rob MacLean in a bar with Scottish fans at Half Time then Pat Nevin providing intellectual input about Scotlands History in the World cup and what Scotland has given to the game around the World. :greengrin

It is of course outrageous that the BBC should spend any money giving a Scotlandcentric view on anything. How dare we ask for anything different.

When Scotland qualifies for a tournament the BBC provide money for Scotland games to be broadcast by Scottish presenters and pundits who week in week out commentate on Scottish league games and Internationals. So clearly they recognise there is an audience who don't just want fed the English coverage at all times.

At the very least they could surely provide us with something on the red button for those of us who don't care what Ian Wright or Mark Lawrenson think about England's chances during a Japan v Columbia game.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 02:03 PM
And so it starts right enough. 3 minutes, aye right. Give it a few days we'll know what Roy Hodgson has for breakfast, Wayne Rooney's chosen hair weaver, how good Englands training pitch is, how the locals are treating the squad and every conceivable English team formation Mark Lawrenson can think of whist he bemoaning how the heat in Brazil is ridiculous. Only if you tune in to watch Switzerland v Ecuador right enough.:greengrin

I cant believe folk get wound up with this, i mean there's only so much bollox they can talk about a 90 minute game of football, and our lot are not entirely innocent in this. England have qualified, so of course there's going to be hours of crap spouted by their commentators.

And the great thing about ALL of this, is you have control of how much or how little you are exposed to at the end of your finger. :greengrin

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I cant believe folk get wound up with this, i mean there's only so much bollox they can talk about a 90 minute game of football, and our lot are not entirely innocent in this. England have qualified, so of course there's going to be hours of crap spouted by their commentators.

And the great thing about ALL of this, is you have control of how much or how little you are exposed to at the end of your finger. :greengrin

Hey BH just because someone makes an observation doesn't mean they are wound up or in a rage about something. I will be watching loads of games this next month or so and will just tolerate all the jingoistic drivel as usual . It is a double edged sword of course as we get to experience their pomposity bursting live on tv when England inevitably let them down.:greengrin

As for the remote I can't be arsed chopping and changing all the way through a game, I just want to watch the match.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Hey BH just because someone makes an observation doesn't mean they are wound up or in a rage about something. I will be watching loads of games this next month or so and will just tolerate all the jingoistic drivel as usual . It is a double edged sword of course as we get to experience their pomposity bursting live on tv when England inevitably let them down.:greengrin

As for the remote I can't be arsed chopping and changing all the way through a game, I just want to watch the match.

:agree: :party:

brian6-2
12-06-2014, 03:06 PM
if you seriously get wound up by that kind of thing you really need to go and have a wee word with yourself.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Who you think will win tonight? I'll go for Brazil.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 04:01 PM
What is sad about celebrating your national identity?

Nothing, but when it's rammed down your throat 24/7 it starts to become a pain in the arse.

Kato
12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Nothing, but when it's rammed down your throat 24/7 it starts to become a pain in the arse.

There's a 24/7 World Cup channel?

Where?

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 04:36 PM
There's a 24/7 World Cup channel?

Where?

SSN for a start

Aldo
12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Cant believe people are actually going to vote no! You should be ashamed to call yourself Scottish if you vote no. If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments. Scotland is either a country or its not!

So if I vote Yes you will consider meScottish

BUT

if i vote no you won't.

And there's me thinking I lived in a democracy!!

Back on subject tbh it's to be expected. The only home country to qualify so they get the build up....

It's when they rant on about 1966 and do they stand chance of winning???? REALLY!!!

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 05:17 PM
That's one hell of a mixing of metaphors.

Or else a huge welt........

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 05:59 PM
That's one hell of a mixing of metaphors.

Or else a huge welt........

Yawn.....get over yourself

Baader
12-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Not watching always works if you don't like the coverage. Some maybe would prefer the anti-Hibs Open all Mics clowns - imbiciles like Allan Preston - enthusing about the "lad Messi" and how much Goetze "reminds me of Barry Ferguson in his prime. " Personally I can do without...

Kato
12-06-2014, 06:06 PM
SSN for a start

I never watch it.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I love seeing folk on here getting wound up about the World Cup and England before a ball has even been kicked :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
ITV majorly cringeworthy so far ha ha:greengrin

Lee Dixon to Cannavarro...."you were my defensive hero growing up even though I am older than you" :faf:

Add Ian Wright's stilted interviews on Copacabana beach......this is going to be comedy gold:thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 06:14 PM
ITV majorly cringeworthy so far ha ha:greengrin

Lee Dixon to Cannavarro...."you were my defensive hero growing up even though I am older than you" :faf:

Add Ian Wright's stilted interviews on Copacabana beach......this is going to be comedy gold:thumbsup:

I just checked and Dixon is 10 years older than him:faf::faf:

stoneyburn hibs
12-06-2014, 06:14 PM
I love seeing folk on here getting wound up about the World Cup and England before a ball has even been kicked :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Think it's bad now ? Well it will be a lot worse when Italy pump England.

stantonhibby
12-06-2014, 06:16 PM
SSN for a start

Watch something else then.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm just grateful that England qualified for the World Cup. Comedy gold for a couple of weeks out the four.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Where are they playing? Dobbies?

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Think it's bad now ? Well it will be a lot worse when Italy pump England.

No it won't. Most people will be happy!

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:20 PM
What nae Thistles.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Adrian Chiles must be harder to remove from a job than Rod

weonlywon6-2
12-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I hope the football is better than this ceremony cause so far its rubbish

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 06:23 PM
WHY do they have opening ceremonies? :confused:

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 06:24 PM
WHY do they have opening ceremonies? :confused:

To open things.:cb

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Watch something else then.

Had it on most of the time waiting for any news about our new manager...:wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
To open things.:cb

:greengrin suppose i asked for that.

Scouse Hibee
What a lot of ******, if they have to have an opening ceremony why not something football related like a ten second challenge between all of the countries. :greengrin

stantonhibby
Had it on most of the time waiting for any news about our new manager...:wink:

Right enough!

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
This is the worst opening ceremony ive ever seen. And I quite like them normally.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I hope the football is better than this ceremony cause so far its rubbish

They could have saved themselves about £50. It's dire to say the least and for Brazillians they don't look that fit.

hfc rd
12-06-2014, 06:31 PM
This is the worst opening ceremony ive ever seen. And I quite like them normally.

Totally agree. Really hope the football is better than this.

Beefster
12-06-2014, 06:31 PM
It wouldn't be as bad if Clive "****ing" Tyldesley wasn't doing a 'Trevor Nelson' over the top of it.

Kato
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
ITV mentions the two Scots who brought the game to Brazil as "Scots".

Terrible coverage so far for those who like to get their kilts in a twist.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Watching reruns of friends on the comedy channel, couldn't watch any more of that pish. :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
who all remembers the opening game in France 16 years ago, Brazil 2 v Scotland 1, boyd OG :grr: the e*se, our goal coming from a penalty scored by a Mr John Collins :)

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Whoa opening ceremony just got better. Ding Dong!:cb

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 06:37 PM
J-Lo arrives from down below, with someone who appears to be the bloke from Right Said Fred.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Glad to see that they didn't waste any money on choreographers. It's a bit like our defence last season.....all over the place.

Roll on the kick off.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 06:38 PM
J-Lo arrives from down below, with someone who appears to be the bloke from Right Said Fred.

When they said J Lo and Pitbull i was hoping for Jorge

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 06:39 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/12/article-2656049-000DF13200000258-335_634x439.jpg

iwasthere1972
Whoa opening ceremony just got better. Ding Dong!:cb

Sorry but the bald guy doesn't do it for me. :greengrin

weonlywon6-2

I better hang my head in shame then!

easty
12-06-2014, 06:40 PM
That was just dire.

down-the-slope
12-06-2014, 06:42 PM
How crap is this opening ceremony - it can't have been planned surely...and the sound is appalling like someone singing in the shower next door...

If that is the standard of 'organisation' its not going to go well....

Jack Hackett
12-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Lets hope their team are better than the participants and organizers of that heap of sh**. Dire doesn't come close

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 06:43 PM
I like the advert. :aok:

Reminds me of Shrek and Wayne Rooney is in this one.

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 06:43 PM
When they said J Lo and Pitbull i was hoping for Jorge

Ive been doing my ****ing Pannini album for a month now and no Jorge :grr:

easty
12-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Yeah it's good. Dunno who say down and thought, Tim Howard should be in this advert. He's a good goalie, but there are many better out there. To appease the US?

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Better Together can use your post for their campaign

SteveHFC

"Zlatan Agrees"

easty
Ive been doing my ****ing Pannini album for a month now and no Jorge :grr:

I've got it as a doubler, swapsies for Larry Kingston?

Spike Mandela
ITV mentions the two Scots who brought the game to Brazil as "Scots".

Terrible coverage so far for those who like to get their kilts in a twist.

Now asking the all important question for Brazil v Croatia........"who should start up front for England on Saturday?":wink::greengrin

Well who do we think:yawn2:

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I've got it as a doubler, swapsies for Larry Kingston?

Blatant lie, kingstons not in it. I DO have a Mauricio Pinilla doubler though.

easty
12-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Blatant lie, kingstons not in it. I DO have a Mauricio Pinilla doubler though.

Got any Freddy Adu?

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 06:59 PM

easty
12-06-2014, 07:00 PM

I agree.

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Grrrrrrrr:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Got any Freddy Adu?

Naw. If I get a Messi, Jorge Claros and Souleymane Bamba im out. As it is I'll have to remortgage the house :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Now asking the all important question for Brazil v Croatia........"who should start up front for England on Saturday?":wink::greengrin

Well who do we think:yawn2:

Exactly my point, it's England this and England that, don't they know Brazil are playing Croatia tonight?

TV in off mode until the game actually starts.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Exactly my point, it's England this and England that, don't they know Brazil are playing Croatia tonight?

TV in off mode until the game actually starts.

Are they :confused: I thought the World Cup started next Thursday :greengrin

eastterrace
12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
strachan is a pundit and he was talking about france 98 and he says jock stein was there but he died in 85 or did i pick him up wrong

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
strachan is a pundit and he was talking about france 98 and he says jock stein was there but he died in 85 or did i pick him up wrong

He was talking about 82

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
tell yi one thing, wouldn't fancy sitting on any of they seats right at the edge of the stand up in the heavens :worried: i'd need a few puffs on the inhaler to get up there in the first place :rolleyes:

eastterrace
12-06-2014, 07:14 PM
He was talking about 82

jeez thought i was hearing things , cheers.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2014, 07:21 PM

They're talking about Scotland?

They haven't even qualified!

Don't they know it's Brazil v Croatia tonight? :grr:

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:25 PM
They're talking about Scotland?

They haven't even qualified!

Don't they know it's Brazil v Croatia tonight? :grr:

He better watch his peely wally skin in that sunshine.:cb

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I've turned over to Masterchef. A bald guy and a smug git with a funny accent.

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I've turned over to Masterchef. A bald guy and a smug git with a funny accent.

Same as the ITV panel.:cb

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Gus Poyet said he always support the team from where he currently lives if Uruguay can't win it, so if Uruguay go out he will support England to win it. I will follow him, when England go out I will support Sco....................... oh wait a minute.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Gus Poyet said he always support the team from where he currently lives if Uruguay can't win it, so if Uruguay go out he will support England to win it. I will follow him, when England go out I will support Sco....................... oh wait a minute.

:hilarious

GIRUY! :greengrin

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Shouldn't you be out stealing hub caps or something.:wink::greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Are they :confused: I thought the World Cup started next Thursday :greengrin

:thumbsup:

Stax
12-06-2014, 07:41 PM
LTEF :greengrin

easty
12-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Launch the Everton fan? ;)

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Here you go guys, just to clear up exactly what is happening tonight: The 2014 FIFA World Cup is the 20th FIFA World Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup), an international men's football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) tournament that is taking place in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July 2014

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Is Scouseland a country?

Gatecrasher
12-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Why doesn't ITV have HD? For an event like the WC to be in SD is poor IMO.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Im watching it on STV HD right now

Gatecrasher
12-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have a sky channel?

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I suppose... The start.... Is really.... Important?

Yes, ze start eez veree emportant.

And... With that.... Over to.... The stadium.

iwasthere1972

We've got STV HD. Haven't you got similar but English?

Agree pretty poor if not HD.

Scouse Hibee

Me too.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Im looking forward to seeing the spray paint in action for free kicks more than the game itself Haha

Spike Mandela
12-06-2014, 07:59 PM
I suppose... The start.... Is really.... Important?

Yes, ze start eez veree emportant.

And... With that.... Over to.... The stadium.

Incisive:greengrin

Thank **** the game is about to start. Hope it's a good game.

Have a good month folks. May the best team win.:flag::flag::flag:

down-the-slope
12-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Am I the only one wishing one of those doves had shat on Sepp Blatter

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Yawn.....get over yourself
it was actually meant to be a joke. No smilies on my phone.

SteveHFC
12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
1-0 Croatia

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Ooft makings of a good game now

Peevemor
12-06-2014, 08:13 PM
OG - crikey!

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:13 PM
It's Hamilton Academicals all over again.

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 08:14 PM
i doubt anyone had a bet on that happening :greengrin

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
A Brazilian will get sent off next.

weonlywon6-2
12-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Hahahaha

Cool_Hand_Luke
12-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Sometimes its better to lose an early goal as it takes the pressure off losing a goal :agree:

Captain Trips
12-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Brazil defense is pretty shocking.

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Sometimes its better to lose an early goal as it takes the pressure off losing a goal :agree:

Is that you, Terry?

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Im liking Gustavo he's like a Brazilian Sammy Davis Jr

weonlywon6-2
12-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Some of the brazilian play is impressive

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Goal line technology proves it crossed the line. Marvellous.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:28 PM
A Brazilian will get sent off next.

Half way there.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Goal line technology proves it crossed the line. Marvellous.

My granny whose 112 said it was over the line too.

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:30 PM
What's happened to the paint spray? "Disappointed smilie"

Goal!

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Game on.

Mon Dieu4
Kinda scuffed that one but right in the corner

Sir David Gray
Does anyone have a sky channel?

Channel 178 if you're in the east is STV HD.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Should Neymar still be on the pitch?

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Why haven't we got Foul Technology?

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Spray paint. :thumbsup:

Dan Sarf
Yesssss the paint spray at last!

Mon Dieu4
**** yeah there's the spray

Peevemor
12-06-2014, 08:44 PM
What an aerosol!

Aldo

I think he knew exactly what he was doing. If he's booked for the elbow then it should be a straight red IMHO.

In a word NO.

Dan Sarf
Can anyone see the paint line? I think it's gone already.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Yesssss the paint spray at last!

England can bring back Gordon Banksey now.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 08:46 PM
A new goal celebration, get a can of that spray and sign your name in the goalmouth once you score :greengrin

Hibee87
12-06-2014, 08:46 PM
**** yeah there's the spray

Wonder how long till Scotland get it? 5 - 8 years I guess.

Some of the shuffling foward ive seen at e.r is ridiculous, so much so im sure deek moved the backwards v the gunts and tge ref made him go forward again

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Almost every time I've seen Hulk he has been gash, have i just not seen his good games?

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Almost every time I've seen Hulk he has been gash, have i just not seen his good games?

Just wait until he gets angry :greengrin

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Hibee87;4060257]Wonder how long till Scotland get it? 5 - 8 years I guess.

Probably be green paint as well.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:51 PM

The times I've seen him he's been incredible.

Seriously I'm not impressed by him.

3pm
12-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Chiles : 'Opening games are tight affairs - not this one'.

Half time, 1-1.

MWHIBBIES
12-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Almost every time I've seen Hulk he has been gash, have i just not seen his good games?Na, he is gash.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 08:54 PM

He will probably get top goal scorer now, in the 2002 world cup i said to my mate Oliver Khan is the most over rated goalie ever,.he pretty much got Germany to the final alone Haha

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Half time, 1-1.

Aye what's he on?

Obviously talking about possession which is totally different.

Jonnyboy
12-06-2014, 08:55 PM
What's with ITV's 70's style graphics at the top left of the screen? :greengrin

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Red card. Definitely.

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I think he knew exactly what he was doing. If he's booked for the elbow then it should be a straight red IMHO.

In a word NO.

Disagree. Accidental collision, or at least Neymar was clever enough to look away, hence the ref was right to give Yellow.

Sylar
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Enjoyed the first half but not the coverage...Andy Townsend, Lee Dixon and Adrian Chiles should be torpedoed, promptly!

Brazil very suspect at the back - Croatia unlucky they've not scored more than the 1 and they might regret it, as Brazil are starting to look dangerous.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Was thinking same. Big letters and numbers. Less is more.

Jonnyboy
12-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Was thinking same. Big letters and numbers. Less is more.

Thought it was possibly to evoke memories of the great Brazil teams of the past but the truth is it looks like a kid designed it :greengrin

Aldo
Disagree. Accidental collision, or at least Neymar was clever enough to look away, hence the ref was right to give Yellow.

It was his look a second before.... Then he looked away. Red for me (still)

I wonder what colour of card it would of been if a Croatian player had raised his elbow to Neymar???

Scouse Hibee

If you will watch it on a 1970's TV what do you expect? Nothing on mine :greengrin

Dan Sarf

He had a very careful look before he did it thought. Crafty if you ask me (which, of course, you haven't).

Hiber-nation
12-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Half time, 1-1.

Brian Moore must be turning in his grave. Chiles is beyond stupid.

Jonnyboy
If you will watch it on a 1970's TV what do you expect? Nothing on mine :greengrin

That's just the size of my screen :greengrin

Lewis77

Scouse, there's something wrong with your avatar pal. It just looks wrong somehow? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look right? It looks like a mentally challenged beach towel.

Peevemor

That'll just be your Rediffusion telly. :agree:

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Jonnyboy's just gone to get sixpence for the meter. That's if he can still reach the back of the telly. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-06-2014, 09:04 PM

I bought it from LD after RP told her to sell it to me :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
Scouse, there's something wrong with your avatar pal. It just looks wrong somehow? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look right? It looks like a mentally challenged beach towel.

That's because you are looking at it through tartan tinted glasses :wink:

Jonnyboy
Jonnyboy's just gone to get sixpence for the meter. That's if he can still reach the back of the telly. :greengrin

Nonsense. It's still groats isn't it?

:greengrin

3pm

For those of you watching in black and white, Brazil are in the yellow. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
12-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Nonsense. It's still groats isn't it?

:greengrin

John Oh Groats. :aok:

Aldo
12-06-2014, 09:09 PM
WTF has Neymar done to his hair. What a disaster. Short back and F up. Wonder if he got it for a bet or a dare??

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Oscar has been Brazils best player

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Oscar has been Brazils best player imo.

Aldo
12-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Think he has. What does the boy Fred bring to the team. Don't think he's even had a touch of the ball all game.

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I agree.

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Think he has. What does the boy Fred bring to the team. Don't think he's even had a touch of the ball all game.

All he needs is some decent service and he'll come good.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree.

Haha its because we both have the same outlook on the way the game is played

Peevemor
12-06-2014, 09:15 PM

FFS! Is this another .net FACT?

Oscar has been Brazils best player imo.

I concur.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 09:17 PM
FFS! Is this another .net FACT?

I don't do facts, just tell it like it is

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Haha its because we both have the same outlook on the way the game is played

Great minds :agree:

Same again there, Oscar beats his man, feeds Neymar who gives it away.

cabbageandribs1875
12-06-2014, 09:19 PM
poor show Marcelo :rolleyes: boy didn't even touch his face

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I wonder how England's preparations are getting on?

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Great minds :agree:

Same again there, Oscar beats his man, feeds Neymar who gives it away.

Seemingly Joey Barton has just said Neymar is like Justin Beiber, great on YouTube but a let down in real life, he's commentating on Eurosport

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Seemingly Joey Barton has just said Neymar is like Justin Beiber, great on YouTube but a let down in real life, he's commentating on Eurosport

Joey Barton passing judgement :faf:

Pete
12-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Joey Barton passing judgement :faf:

He's right though.

Pete
12-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Come on Croatia. I don't like the way Brazil are moaning every time they don't get a decision and showing imaginary yellows is out of order.

A half decent European team will wipe the floor with them.

Mon Dieu4
Paint, paint, paint

Scouse Hibee
He's right though.

He's an erse who should keep his mouth shut, absolutely no room for him to pass judgement on anyone, ****** horrible thug.

Pete
12-06-2014, 09:26 PM
He's an erse who should keep his mouth shut, absolutely no room for him to pass judgement on anyone, ****** horrible thug.

He's still right though.

Dan Sarf
Loving the ref's work with the aerosol.

iwasthere1972

I wouldn't be owning up in front of millions that I watch Justin Bieber videos on YouTube. No class.

Peevemor
12-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Come on Croatia. I don't like the way Brazil are moaning every time they don't get a decision and showing imaginary yellows is out of order.

A half decent European team will wipe the floor with them.

Brazil are notoriously slow starters at the world cup finals.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 09:27 PM
I've seen spay paint used before but can't remember when or where. Was it trialed a few years ago?

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2014, 09:28 PM
He's still right though.

In your opinion not mine.

Mon Dieu4
12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I've seen spay paint used before but can't remember when or where. Was it trialed a few years ago?

They used to use it in Argentinian league a few years back when it was on c4 late at night

Scouse Hibee
Never a pen

Pete
Absolutely tragic decision. **** off!

Dan Sarf
Dive

easty
never a pen.

cabbageandribs1875
that's a ****** shocking decision for a penalty

iwasthere1972
No way that's a penalty. Soft.

Aldo
12-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Dive dive dive. Well Fred has done something and cheated/dived/simulation

Never a penalty

Scouse Hibee
They used to use it in Argentinian league a few years back when it was on c4 late at night

Nah it was somewhere else I would never have watched that.

Cropley10
Ref's as bent as you like. Craig Thomson's Japanese cousin

Bostonhibby
never a pen, farcical

blackpoolhibs
scandalous pen, 2-1 brazil.

Peevemor
Keeper unlucky there.

Cropley10
12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Blatter's fingerprints all over this...

Dan Sarf
Goalie nearly outwitted him. Refused to move.

Scouse Hibee
Two hands should have saved it.

hibsbollah
12-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Two goals for Neymar but hes been poor all night really.

Aldo
Ref looked like he was gagging to give it!!! That's poor from the ref!!

Cropley10
It has to be said Andy Townsend is absolutely world class at watching super slow mo HD replays and telling us exactly what we can all see.:rolleyes:

Dan Sarf
12-06-2014, 09:33 PM
It has to be said Andy Townsend is absolutely world class at watching super slow mo HD replays and telling us exactly what we can all see.:rolleyes:

He's very manly though, don't you think?