PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ben Williams in the DR

Winston Ingram
11-06-2014, 09:48 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/terry-butcher-lost-hibs-dressing-3673377

I like how he recognises that Butchers success was relative not the triumph that some try to paint it as.

The article is very similar to what he said on Sportsound:agree:

lapsedhibee
11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
GOALKEEPER Williams reckons Butcher made a major error after giving some players no future early in his reign at Easter Road.

Butcher left his post at Inverness to take over the Easter Road reins from Pat Fenlon last November when the Edinburgh men were sitting safely in seventh place in the Premiership.

But the Englishman endured a disastrous end to the campaign as the Leith outfit registered just one win in 19 league games.

They finished second from bottom and were relegated after losing a penalty shoot-out to
play-off opponents Hamilton.

The former Rangers skipper was relieved of his duties yesterday when new chief executive Leeann Dempster and non-executive chairman Rod Petrie decided to wield the axe after 48 hours of discussions.

Williams also believes Butcher was wrong to try to replicate his success in the Highlands by applying the same football model in the capital and that he was too honest with the media.

The Mancunian said: “If we knew exactly what went wrong under Terry then we would have identified it a lot sooner and tried to rectify it.

“We put the Hibs fans through so much and embarked on a bad run of results that ultimately left us relegated.

“Terry possibly came in with pre-conceived ideas of the Hibs team and the squad he had inherited.

“People looked at the relative success Terry had at Inverness and thought he would simply replicate it at Hibs.

“But you can’t always apply the same football model to each club you manage.

“The demands and expectations at Hibs and Inverness were completely different for a start.

“Terry guided Inverness to the League Cup Final at Celtic Park and the club took 8000 supporters to the game for their big day.

“A crowd of 8000 is roughly Hibs’ average home gate.

“Terry also courted the press and dealt with the media well. He kept them close and was always happy to speak to them.

“However, sometimes things should be kept in-house at a football club.

“The club could maybe have addressed things a bit differently in January with regards to their signing targets but Hibs should not have been in the situation they ended up in.”

Back in April, Williams branded Butcher’s men “soft and spoiled” in the wake of a 2-0 loss to
St Mirren, who scored after just 12 seconds and played the last hour with 10 men.

He stands by his comments and is adamant Hibs should not be playing in the Championship next season alongside city rivals Hearts and Rangers.

He feels they should have been capable of challenging at the top end of the Premiership with the talent at their disposal but collectively there was a mentality problem.

Williams said: “I don’t regret my comments after the St Mirren match. Any squad at Hibs is spoiled because of the club’s facilities.

“You have every chance to improve yourself as a player at Hibs. There were times when I thought the squad lacked the mental toughness to impose ourselves on games.

“If you’re asking me whether Hibs were good enough to stay in the Premiership then my answer would be yes.

“This was a very talented squad of players that should have been challenging for the top six.

“Something wasn’t right and everybody will have an opinion on that.

“What has happened can’t be undone. Hibs were relegated but it didn’t need to happen.”

Williams – who is still on the lookout for a new club – was taken aback to hear Butcher had been given the axe.

He said: “I’m surprised the club have chosen to sack the manager now.

“I thought that might have been done when all the players left the club after relegation had been confirmed but two or three weeks down the line Hibs now have to search for a new manager. It has been a long, drawn out process.

“The new chief executive has clearly decided the club has to move forward and her plan does not include the management team. She must feel she’s acting in the best interests of the club.

“It is a fresh beginning for Hibs and a new direction. Everyone at the club will have a clean slate and a new Hibs will be built.

“It is a little bit disappointing for guys like me because who’s to say the new management team coming in would not have kept some of the players who were released.”

Just Alf
11-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Might be reading too much into it, but his very last comment at the end of the article sounds like he'd be open to a return under the right circumstances?

ManBearPig
11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
do you think new manager could tempt big ben back

Winston Ingram
11-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Hope so.

ManBearPig
11-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Might be reading too much into it, but his very last comment at the end of the article sounds like he'd be open to a return under the right circumstances?

beat me to it! heres hoping!

Scottie
11-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I hope not as I think Ben was under performing week in week out last season.
Yes he saved us a few points here and there but he cost us too.
There will be better options out there.
Out with the old and in with the new. We need a fresh and complete change of playing staff at ER starting with a new goalie. :agree:

erskine-hibby
11-06-2014, 10:10 AM
He did make a huge mistake in telling the players they were on borrowed time, but none seemed to try to prove him wrong.

calder45a
11-06-2014, 10:18 AM
He did make a huge mistake in telling the players they were on borrowed time, but none seemed to try to prove him wrong.

Terry Butcher just highlighted what was wrong with this club the players attitudes.
Master stroke by Petrie Getting Butcher in to weed them out.:confused:

eggbamyasi
11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Another player not taking his blame in our relegation . Blaming everything from training facilities to the manager , basically everything but not his own form . He also was offered a contract in January and rumours were that he wanted to leave . Don't want him or any of the players that let our club down so badly .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Weststandwanab
11-06-2014, 10:36 AM

I think so.

Allant1981
11-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I liked williams but he was part of one of the worst teams ive seen in a long time, complete clear out was needed

BH Hibs
11-06-2014, 10:51 AM

Hope not as it may send the wrong signals and make him think he is bigger than the manager and the club. I

AlbertK86
11-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Another player not taking his blame in our relegation . Blaming everything from training facilities to the manager , basically everything but not his own form . He also was offered a contract in January and rumours were that he wanted to leave . Don't want him or any of the players that let our club down so badly . Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He refused new contract as he could not believe how bad the goalkeeper training ( or lack of) had become when Marsella came in

IanM
11-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Another player not taking his blame in our relegation . Blaming everything from training facilities to the manager , basically everything but not his own form . He also was offered a contract in January and rumours were that he wanted to leave . Don't want him or any of the players that let our club down so badly .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you listen to his interview last night he said the players do take the blame BUT the reason for the downfall was Butcher and his antics.

Quite liked Ben as our keeper, also liked his interview last night, just a bit of insight as to what was happening at the club.. they should have rose above it but we'll never know the full extent.

He's left the club and that's his punishment along with everyone else that's left but I think we need to stop looking for answer for last season and keep ourselves firmly focused on the job ahead. agree though, whoever has left the club shouldn't return.

unless you're alex miller :cb:faf:

Turkish Green
11-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Why is it only at Hibs that we hear about the manager losing the dressing room. Is the culture at East Mains so different from that of other professional clubs? Or is it just that at other clubs the players keep their off-field antics out of the public eye.

Is what Butcher (and John Collins) tried to instill in the dressing room so different from what goes on elsewhere?

HH81
11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
The players chucked it after been told they were out the door.

BoltonHibee
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM

These boys were under contract, you get the best you possibly can from them until such time as the contracts expire. Then if you don't fancy them, tell them they are moving on.

Once they knew they weren't required, why would they try a leg. Humans react to that sort of information in different ways. Unfortunately ours took the easy option

Big Mistake!!!

nribs
11-06-2014, 11:47 AM
As much as like Ben and what he said is probably true, he should be careful as i'm not sure he has a new club yet? I wouldn't like to think clubs could be looking at him and thinking he has to much to say. It's great or us to hear his side i just hope it doesn't go against him.

Criswell
11-06-2014, 05:51 PM
I find his comments confusing. He starts of putting the blame on the manager then changes tack and puts the the blame on the players. Which is it to be?

Terry Butcher had a lot of success at ICT (and Motherwell) playing a certain style, and it obvious that he would try and replicate that at Hibs. I can't imagine he was proposing anything that was spectactularly revolutionary!

His biggest mistake was believing he had inherited a set of professional footballers who could actually pass a ball 3 yards to a team-mate, and maybe score the odd goal or two. I believe sacking Terry is a bad mistake and made for all the wrong reasons.

HKhibby
11-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I find his comments confusing. He starts of putting the blame on the manager then changes tack and puts the the blame on the players. Which is it to be?

Terry Butcher had a lot of success at ICT (and Motherwell) playing a certain style, and it obvious that he would try and replicate that at Hibs. I can't imagine he was proposing anything that was spectactularly revolutionary!

His biggest mistake was believing he had inherited a set of professional footballers who could actually pass a ball 3 yards to a team-mate, and maybe score the odd goal or two. I believe sacking Terry is a bad mistake and made for all the wrong reasons.

I totally agree with you!....and what is Leaane Dempster's plan now?...does she think it is that easy to entice a good manager to the Scottish Championship?...wrong if she does...im not saying Butcher is perfect, nor doesnt have a part to play in the relegation etc..but i really think unless she has someone identified this week. we will be finding it very hard and for the want of a better saying pissing against the wind!...3 weeks to go until pre season training starts!

Lucius Apuleius
11-06-2014, 06:40 PM
He played as much a part in our relegation as anyone. Oot the door!

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Yep,i would say so,be a great boost if he did

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 06:50 PM
As much as like Ben and what he said is probably true, he should be careful as i'm not sure he has a new club yet? I wouldn't like to think clubs could be looking at him and thinking he has to much to say. It's great or us to hear his side i just hope it doesn't go against him.

I dont see much wrong with what he is sayin,hes just saying it as he saw it,im sure others will have their say at some point as well

Holmesdale Hibs
11-06-2014, 08:22 PM

Hope so. WTF would TB bin Ben in the first place? Best keeper we've had since Daniel Anderson

Fergos
11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Decent but not great keeper....saved us at times but dodgy at crosses, decent one in one and shot stopping.

Cost us badly at times.....vs them etc and didn't cover himself in glory in the play off second leg at the first goal.

time to move on from last years losers....

GGTTH

Boyle89
11-06-2014, 09:57 PM

I hope so.

Pete
11-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I like how he recognises that Butchers success was relative not the triumph that some try to paint it as.

Ah, so that's what he meant!

:rolleyes: