PDA

View Full Version : Optimism

madhatter
10-06-2014, 09:22 PM
We must try to breed optimism within the ranks - especially those that turn up week after week. I know it is tough, I've got my ST for next season and I have no idea what coaches, what manager and what players will be at the club. It is either something to be worried about, or it is something to be excited about.

Don't get me wrong, as a support I view us as being :top marks but, as Leeann has said, ER can be a tough place to play in for our team and easy for opposition to play in. I wouldn't find it tough and even with a rotund stomach these days, I'd still put large portions of our playing squad to shame but then again I'm a Hibs fanatic and they, largely, aren't. Being honest, the atmosphere at ER would be more likely to get me sent off rather than me under-performing - that's just me though.

We need to lift our heads and on day 1 of next season we:

Don't boo
Make ER noisy
Don't shout as much abuse when a player tries hardest but makes a mistake
Give opposition players much abuse
Help to time-waste when we are winning (everyone else does it against us - we're a soft touch)

This has to be the minimum - we need to lift our spirits. Our rightful negativity is having a massive effect on our club and we need to do our part collectively!

Malthibby
10-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Uber Fans in - negative txssxrs oot:greengrin

madhatter
10-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Uber Fans in - negative txssxrs oot:greengrin

We certainly need something to change. I went to ER as a kid and it was great. The East stand used to be mental. Now it is all very very subdued. Even in derbies, it isn't the same. And this comment isn't a "oh, in my day" type stuff - I'm in my early 20s and even I have seen a vast transformation in the support. It has been a gradual malaise but it's effect is massive. Players don't play well and managers fail, our home record has been atrocious for years so it doesn't really take a rocket scientist to recognise something is up...

erskine-hibby
10-06-2014, 10:05 PM
We certainly need something to change. I went to ER as a kid and it was great. The East stand used to be mental. Now it is all very very subdued. Even in derbies, it isn't the same. And this comment isn't a "oh, in my day" type stuff - I'm in my early 20s and even I have seen a vast transformation in the support. It has been a gradual malaise but it's effect is massive. Players don't play well and managers fail, our home record has been atrocious for years so it doesn't really take a rocket scientist to recognise something is up...

That's what so many years of mismanagement will do for you. That...and blind acceptance.

#2 Double Tap
11-06-2014, 12:13 AM
these fans?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoefjox9U4

Ozyhibby
11-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Whatever our problems are, lack of optimism is not one of them.
Every new manager is greeted like the new mourinho.
Look how excited people are getting over Leeann Dempster.
It's definitely not a lack of optimism we have.

Pete
11-06-2014, 06:23 AM
We must try to breed optimism within the ranks - especially those that turn up week after week. I know it is tough, I've got my ST for next season and I have no idea what coaches, what manager and what players will be at the club. It is either something to be worried about, or it is something to be excited about.

Don't get me wrong, as a support I view us as being :top marks but, as Leeann has said, ER can be a tough place to play in for our team and easy for opposition to play in. I wouldn't find it tough and even with a rotund stomach these days, I'd still put large portions of our playing squad to shame but then again I'm a Hibs fanatic and they, largely, aren't. Being honest, the atmosphere at ER would be more likely to get me sent off rather than me under-performing - that's just me though.

We need to lift our heads and on day 1 of next season we:

Don't boo
Make ER noisy
Don't shout as much abuse when a player tries hardest but makes a mistake
Give opposition players much abuse
Help to time-waste when we are winning (everyone else does it against us - we're a soft touch)

This has to be the minimum - we need to lift our spirits. Our rightful negativity is having a massive effect on our club and we need to do our part collectively!

Quite right. We can do this and move forward now that we have a real positive force uniting and leading us.

We're the best bloody fans in Scotland and we will get behind the winning team we are about to assemble! :thumbsup:

madhatter
11-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Whatever our problems are, lack of optimism is not one of them.
Every new manager is greeted like the new mourinho.
Look how excited people are getting over Leeann Dempster.
It's definitely not a lack of optimism we have.

It is to some degree, sorry. Put it this way, we celebrate so well when winning because I honestly believe it is a release of the stress. Best example is the celebrations when Wotherspoon's deflected shot went in against Hearts. Place went mental, which is largely because we got 1 over our rivals but think some part of it was a release of the sheer tension. I celebrated Stanton's header against Partick the same way - for me it was the tension rather than a sense of achievement or pride.

I'm not overly excited about Leeann Dempster - I'm quietly optimistic but as the situation has us, we cannot really put out a starting 11. Most of those who are still here are shocking anyway (Nelson, McGivern, Craig etc.) and we don't have a management team and it's about 5-6 weeks until season starts. I'm pretty sure many fans won't be optimistic. It isn't the optimism now that counts anyway, it's the optimism in the stadium.

What I saw at the stadium this year was at the very most a hope that we didn't lose. I didn't go into the stadium thinking "it's St Mirren, we should get 3 points here". I was thinking "I really hope we get at least 1 point".

Optimism isn't the same as the hope of avoiding failure.

nribs
11-06-2014, 08:17 AM
It is to some degree, sorry. Put it this way, we celebrate so well when winning because I honestly believe it is a release of the stress. Best example is the celebrations when Wotherspoon's deflected shot went in against Hearts. Place went mental, which is largely because we got 1 over our rivals but think some part of it was a release of the sheer tension. I celebrated Stanton's header against Partick the same way - for me it was the tension rather than a sense of achievement or pride.

I'm not overly excited about Leeann Dempster - I'm quietly optimistic but as the situation has us, we cannot really put out a starting 11. Most of those who are still here are shocking anyway (Nelson, McGivern, Craig etc.) and we don't have a management team and it's about 5-6 weeks until season starts. I'm pretty sure many fans won't be optimistic. It isn't the optimism now that counts anyway, it's the optimism in the stadium.

What I saw at the stadium this year was at the very most a hope that we didn't lose. I didn't go into the stadium thinking "it's St Mirren, we should get 3 points here". I was thinking "I really hope we get at least 1 point".

For somebody who doesn't want people booing players and be optimistic etc etc you seem to manage to tell us at every opportunity how crap McGivern, Craig etc are

WestStandMoaner
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM

We have played 728 games since Jim Duffy until the end of TB reign and won 284 of them, its easy to see why the fans are fed up and boo, but we have to try and lift ourselves for next season, I think a lot will depend on who the manager will be and the signings he makes.

madhatter
11-06-2014, 09:20 AM
For somebody who doesn't want people booing players and be optimistic etc etc you seem to manage to tell us at every opportunity how crap McGivern, Craig etc are

Difference between complaining in the pub or on a forum to booing someone on the park. Surely you can at least grasp that?

I stated how poor they were and yet I still didn't boo them.

Imagine the scenario of TB saying "You're not good enough" as is now documented, then walking out on to the pitch and hearing "boo" when you make the slightest mistake. They were poor and deserved to be cleared out but lets not forget that we were doing the same as TB on match day.

07BigD
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
I think it's very simple, no attempts to play good football for many a year equals disgruntled fans, we can take defeat if we see a team playing football the right way

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

nribs
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Difference between complaining in the pub or on a forum to booing someone on the park. Surely you can at least grasp that?

I stated how poor they were and yet I still didn't boo them.

Imagine the scenario of TB saying "You're not good enough" as is now documented, then walking out on to the pitch and hearing "boo" when you make the slightest mistake. They were poor and deserved to be cleared out but lets not forget that we were doing the same as TB on match day.
I blame you for you being negative on a football forum which other fans pick up on and breeds negativity on the stands and the fans boo players making McGivern etc crap meaning we get poor results leading in managers being sacked and the team relegated :)