PDA

View Full Version : Yes I Backed Butcher

Phil D. Rolls
10-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Anybody willing to fess up and say they were one of the people on here that thought Butcher was the answer?

Thecat23
10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Anybody willing to fess up and say they were one of the people on here that thought Butcher was the answer?

Me. I thought 100% he was the man to sort us. Sadly I was so wrong and happy to hold my hands up and say.

BoltonHibee
10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
No, never thought that. Knew his football would be brutal but never thought for 1 minute he would relegate us!

10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I did. I thought a character like Butcher would motivate the dressing room and install a bit of physical and mental toughness into the team. Sadly he turned an average team (no where near good enough but capable of staying in the SPL) into a complete bunch of pathetic, gutless relegation team.

I knew he wouldn't be the manager next season due to his silence over the past couple weeks.

Yuillsy
10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I did. I thought he was a brilliant appointment. More than happy to admit I was wrong.

Dashing Bob S
I was against him at the start, but changed my mind when he seemed to have us turning the corner. I thought, 'here's a chap who knows his stuff and has brought in a strong management team.'

Then...

cleanyman
Na.

Started the get out TB thread as early as February. Knew it was going to be a disaster.

Wish I'd been cooler about it

Gmack7
Me. I thought 100% he was the man to sort us. Sadly I was so wrong and happy to hold my hands up and say.
ditto

davehiby
10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
i thought he was doing a great job in inverness but said if it went pear shaped there must be something rotten further up the tree !

Barman Stanton
10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Yeah I thought that with that whole team in place that we would really challenge. What an incredible disaster it turned out to be.

500miles
10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Nope. I am never wrong! :wink:

Seriously though, while I never thought that he would be the disaster that he was, I didn't think he would bring overnight success to ER. I was still disappointed at the manner in which we had parted company with Fenlon, who I felt was an honest man, who saw the club as bigger than himself and would succeed given time proportionate to the size of the task at hand. I felt we had progressed the previous season, and although we struggled creatively at the start of the season, we weren't all that far away from a decent side. The players still wanted to play for him IMO, and he was unfortunate to have deals for Griffiths and Claros ripped up at the last minute by their parent clubs. The unreasonable demonstrations against him made his position untenable, and those who chased him out the door should take a good hard look at themselves before they start pointing fingers again.

I wanted Ian Murray to come in if anyone had to replace Pat. I keep hearing that he plays hoofball, but I don't think it's fair to expect him to get more out of a part time team and still come so close to reaching the Champ/SPFL playoff. He went there and was nearly instantly successful, which suggested to me that he knows how to get the best out of any group of players he comes across, and the intelligence to put his message across to the players.

I had high hopes for Butcher though, and supported his appointment in the hope it would unite the club and bring the restless supporters who ousted Pat back into the fold.

Sir David Gray
10-06-2014, 06:23 PM
I said at the time of Fenlon's departure that nothing would change at the club until Petrie left and although I started to get a bit more optimistic after the first 5 or 6 weeks of Butcher's reign when things were looking up, ultimately my suspicions were proved to be correct.

Dave-O
10-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Not ashamed to admit with what he'd done with ict I thought he would be a fantastic manager, but it wasn't to be and now quite happy for leeann to ignore any suggestions I make and do it her way. :greengrin

3pm
10-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Gives me no satisfaction to say I didn't want him.

gaz1875
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I did. I thought a character like Butcher would motivate the dressing room and install a bit of physical and mental toughness into the team. Sadly he turned an average team (no where near good enough but capable of staying in the SPL) into a complete bunch of pathetic, gutless relegation team.

I knew he wouldn't be the manager next season due to his silence over the past couple weeks.

:agree: I said exactly the same earlier today, how he could mess up so bad is a feat in itself!!

John_the_angus_hibby
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I did as well. He seemed to come across as a winner, great network for hidden gems etc. So what the hell do I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CmoantheHibs
10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Initially I was not overly impressed but changed my opinion when all the hype on .net started and was totally up for his appointment when it came.I am a pretty optimistic guy though and its only really Bertie Aulds name that sends shudders down my spine.:greengrin

Beefster
IIRC I wasn't sure about him before he was appointed but his chat upon appointment had me bought into it.

semaj64
Yes thought it was good appointment and am disappointed that he did not match expectations. Started to go wrong when obvious changes in the play were not carried out. Thought Ben Williams summed it up petty well on sportsound earlier

Phil D. Rolls
10-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I thought he'd do it. The fact that one win against Hearts would have kept us up, and he couldn't motivate the team to deliver it, shows how wrong I was.

The clown even did his victory routine when we won at Hamilton. Probably the mist disastrous manager ever, and nearly every one of us fell for it.

Ironically, if Petrie hadn't got him, he'd have been lynched. It seemed like the perfect answer. Be interesting to hear EXACTLY what was going on at Inverness. Maybe he wasn't as well liked as people thought.

Keith_M
I really thought he was going to do much better than how it worked out. I even doubted that he'd be willing to come to Hibs, as it meant putting his successful spell in management on the line.

It seems that the best managerial appointments are the ones that weren't the fans choice. :wink:

stubru59
On the back of his overall track record I didn't think he was the answer. Worked up some (quickly erased) enthusiausm for him and hoped it would come right. Never thought he'd get us relegated, though.

So right about him, but wrong about how bad it would get.

hihohibby
10-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I really thought that Butcher would have taken us to another level, and backed and praised him, even!
How right I was, he really did take us to another level - division 2!!
:rolleyes:

MrSmith
I welcomed his appointment 100% However, the club has been rotten to the core for some time now and was never going to work for him. Good luck Terry, wrong club wrong time!

Keith_M
Na.

Started the get out TB thread as early as February. Knew it was going to be a disaster.

Wish I'd been cooler about it

But what was your view when he was first appointed?

Hibbyradge
10-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I was delighted when he and his team were appointed.

Most people, but not all, were the same.

I remember laughing when someone posted that if we didn't get Marsella too, there was no point.

Hibs made an ambitious and costly appointment, but Butcher didn't know how to build relationships with seasoned pros.

Young players may be willing, and able, to put up with his style of management, but it doesn't work with everyone.

Kevin Thomson has played at the highest levels - EPL, the Champions League, his country etc - and to expect him to fall in line with that dictatorial style of management was naive.

cleanyman
10-06-2014, 06:32 PM
But what was your view when he was first appointed?

I said we should have went for Stuart Mccall and I was a tad disappointed.....I think anyway.

He'll have no interest in the job now.

KDY Hibs
10-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Yep, mark me down in the “over the moon“ category with TB appointment......as were many on here!

Thecat23
10-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I think most were happy enough, I do remember reading a few though who had concerns. I thought his no nonsense attitude would have worked I didn't actually stop and look at how his record was or the football he played.

I feel sorry on Butcher, the man aged about 10 years in that job. Malpas I couldn't care less. But I do feel TB tried but got his man management and tactics horribly wrong.

But one last thing..... TOLD YOU ALL he wouldn't be here come the new season ;D

kaimendhibs
10-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I was chuffed when he got the job, just shows what I know

Sent from my iphone

Waxy
10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I did.number one choice for me.No one could have expected what happened next though.I blame the players more than Butcher though.They should all follow him out the door tomorrow.They didn't give a hoot for the fans.Any decent player would have played for the fans if not the manager.They didn't.Frauds.

Frank Moon
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Not only most of us but many of the Jambos were worried that we may have finally got the right man!

greenpaper55
10-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I admit i thought he was the main man but i never looked past his record at ICT, how wrong i was ! the most inept managerial display i have ever seen.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I voted for the first option, but, I was more interested in getting Fenlon out the door than who was going to replace him.

Lucius Apuleius
10-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Purely because my father in law was shouting for Butcher to take Fenlon's place months before it happened, I was totally against him. However when he did take over and we had these couple of wins I thought he might be OK. Wrong.

gringojoe
10-06-2014, 07:14 PM
If Butcher was the answer it was stupid question.
Never was a fan of his.

joe breezy
10-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Knowing Hibs limited resources and the state of Scottish football I thought he could make the step up.

Wouldn't phrase it as any of the poll options though.

Dalianwanda
10-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I was unimpressed with his appointment but just assumed the masses knew more than me.....which they generally do :greengrin

RIP Bestie
10-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I did, I was wrong. Glad he's gone

HibbyAndy
10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I did.

Was so wrong...Tho i do think Marsella would have scouted decent players for us but that went pear shaped with relegation.

Butcher will ( And should) go down in history as one of our worst ever managers.

Eyrie
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Most of .net looked at what he'd achieved with Inverness and thought he was a good choice at the time, so reading that 70% have admitted they got that wrong doesn't surprise me.

I'll admit to being one of those who backed him, and my doubts only really started after the split. It took relegation to turn me against him.

BH Hibs
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
He wasn't my first choice but I welcomed the appointment so yes I was wrong too.

VPHIBEE
10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I was delighted when we appointed him. I thought his main quality would be inspiring the players. How wrong could I have been.

His main flaw turned out to be his man management. How to motivate a team according to Butcher: You are all pish, and I am going to punt you all at the end of the season. Aye right Terry.

rcarter1
10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Thought he would be inspirational. Like others, was all too willing to ignore his poor records elsewhere on the basis of his form with ICT. In the end I am glad he has left, as it took some effort to relegate us from the position we were in around New Year. His appalling chat around then regarding the future of the players was mind bogglingly ill judged.

matty_f
10-06-2014, 07:31 PM
When his name first came up I was pretty uninspired, then I looked up what his record was like at ICT and became impressed. After hearing his first few interviews and watching that YouTube clip on motivation/leadership I thought he was exactly what we needed.
Until very recently I still held the players more accountable for our downfall than the management team, but then I looked more into the stories coming out of the club. Wee tales here and there from a growing number of sources, some directly others second or third hand, and it became clear that Butcher was entirely wrong for Hibs.
To an extent I still hold the players responsible. They could have and should have bit the bullet and done what was asked of them. But Butcher is ultimately responsible because of his actions and how he handled that group of players.

Onceinawhile
10-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Didn't want him at the time, didn't enjoy his hoofball and wanted him gone 5/6 games ago.

hope he never shows his face in Edinburgh again.

eggbamyasi
10-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Yep I backed him . I though he would sort us out .I was wrong .something that still annoys me a bit is I think along with butcher and petrie I also believe fenlon and mainly the players should be taking a larger portion of the blame. pisses me right off when players who left recently appear in the media and are saying stuff about club /manager when for me they should be saying nothing but but apologising for how badly they let they club down

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jacomo
10-06-2014, 08:05 PM

:agree:

Also thought he would be his own man and not get pushed around by Petrie. Ah well.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I posted a thread remarking on his record without ICT, and said it did not read very good at all. I admitted he'd done well in the highlands, and if he could do that with Hibs, we'd all be happy.

I then saw his first few interviews and liked what i heard. Then his first few games we did play slightly better, and created a few more chances than we had under Fenlon by getting the ball forward quicker.

Then he started to have an influence on the team........................................:rolle yes:

Dalianwanda
10-06-2014, 08:12 PM
The thing that got me was the leadership video that was posted on here..I thought it lacked passion and certainly wasn't cutting edge thinking in the field..

weonlywon6-2
10-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Yep i did !
Mind you i was told my ford galaxy would be a reliable car and i believed it ,it ended up packing in as well,much like butcher!

IberianHibernian
10-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Was disappointed when he was appointed and unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed at a huge expense ( compensation to Fenlon and ICT and I suppose Butcher etc again plus relegation and further loss of reputation ) . I thought the football was dreadful in the winning run in winter - school playground stuff - run and run and push and ... but he has so many friends in the press and we were so desperate for success that any win was considered fantastic by some . Don`t agree with this " all of us " wanted him anyway - there was no clamour for Butcher to be our manager and there should have been a proper selection procedure .

Pete
10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Never rated him. Terrible record.

10-06-2014, 11:55 PM
He got my endorsement as he did with most Hibees I know. He certainly was the overwhelming choice of the majority of Hibs Supporters on here. Probably greater than any Hibs Manager in my time supporting the club. We got what we wanted when he was appointed and we've got what we want again with him leaving. Now we all regroup and get behind the next guy. The only people that will get us out this situation are the supporters. Time to show up, put up, and get behind the next guy in the hope that things will get better. :flag:

Septimus
11-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Since the time of Collins departure I have thought that Hib's main problem was player power and a bunch of prima donnas in the dressing room. Like many here I thought that TB would sort this problem out and his sergeant major approach might be the answer. I wasn't. The fact remains that for a long time now there has been no apparent motivation to win in the team and that is not TB's fault. We buy our players in the bargain basement and it shows.

NatureBoy
11-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Yes I like many others thought he was the answer, he made some terrible blunders with his man management and that ultimately cost him his job and our top flight status imo. He thought we were safe and was holding out for the summer, he made no secret that the majority of the players would be out the door at the first opportunity, fatal error in hindsight.

He'll probably go on to do a decent job elsewhere, but a complete fresh start for us is for the best.

Onion
11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Yes I like many others thought he was the answer, he made some terrible blunders with his man management and that ultimately cost him his job and our top flight status imo. He thought we were safe and was holding out for the summer, he made no secret that the majority of the players would be out the door at the first opportunity, fatal error in hindsight.

He'll probably go on to do a decent job elsewhere, but a complete fresh start for us is for the best.

Agreed. He had most of the qualities we all thought were needed to succeed but his last 4 months management was simply catastrophic. If we had scraped ourselves into the Prem, he would have been given the time/money to build a new team, but relegation is unforgivable. Almost no one thought that was possible with Hearts down, playoffs and us challenging for top 6. I Still cannot believe he managed this !!

Pretty Boy
11-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Yes.

He wasn't my 1st choice but when he got the job I was confident he would do well. Sadly it wasn't to be.

Golden Bear
11-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Yes - I'll hold my hand up, I thought the whole Butcher/Malpas/ wonder Scout package was the business and would be the answer to all our problems.

The initial signs were promising but in no time at all there were numerous stories of training ground unrest. I thought an experienced Management team would be able to handle and deal with the issues but apparently not.

James70
11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Maybe we should have asked Butcher about his vision for the club before hiring him rather than waiting to ask him before sacking him. If we had football people on the board who were more in the know than your average fan then he may never have got the job. Petrie gave the fans who they wanted obviously without doing too much research himself.

Captain Trips
11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Was unsure I had the same niggle when we hired CC that something just was not right however those are feelings and you see what the new manager can offer. ?Felt in March it was not right and felt he should go while we were playing in the split as it looked bad. I thought he would do better though I never saw this debacle happening.

number 27
11-06-2014, 08:46 AM
He was not my choice but I was not unhappy with the appointment. I thought he would improve us.

Mind you I have tried to be optimistic about all our managers and players when they come in and I think I might be running out of hope, I have not seen any names mentioned for a new manager which excite me.

Stevie Reid
11-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I was happy when we got him. I stated some conerns at the time that his record was questionable, whilst acknowledging that his time at ICT seemed to indicate that he was improving as a manager - but my overriding point was that his previous record meant **** all, and it was only what he did after his arrival here that mattered. Sadly he was a disaster.

Doesn't matter a jot though. The fact that he turned out to be terrible doesn't mean that people were "wrong" to back him, every new manager should get full support from us, and no one should have any misgivings for doing so.

sahib
11-06-2014, 10:52 AM
I think most were happy enough, I do remember reading a few though who had concerns. I thought his no nonsense attitude would have worked I didn't actually stop and look at how his record was or the football he played.

I feel sorry on Butcher, the man aged about 10 years in that job. Malpas I couldn't care less. But I do feel TB tried but got his man management and tactics horribly wrong.

But one last thing..... TOLD YOU ALL he wouldn't be here come the new season ;D

Who knows who is the best manager for the job. Anyone with a sustained track record would be out of our reach. Picking a manager is a total lottery imho. I don't blame Petrie for any of the managerial appointments.

Dinkydoo
11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
I wanted him in and after the first few weeks, I was almost certain we were onto a winner. Week on week after that we seemed to get worse; tactics were non existent, team selections were baffling and that coupled with injuries to some of our better players ultimately lead to the predicament we are currently in. Even with the injuries we had, a manager would be expected to make better use of the players Terry had at his disposal. He wasn't the right guy for the job and his so-called 'sport psychology' qualification that we were all wetting ourselves over when he first arrived turned out to be a bit of a sick joke, considering the mental toughness and togetherness of the squad regressed back to the way it was prior to Fenlon from January this year onwards.

SuperAllyMcleod
11-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Happy to admit that I wanted him and even wanted to give him the chance to get his own players in. He's gone now, I wish him well and we have to get behind the new man and hope that we can get out of the mess we are in as soon as possible.

Keith_M
11-06-2014, 01:25 PM
I said we should have went for Stuart Mccall and I was a tad disappointed.....I think anyway.

He'll have no interest in the job now.

Fair enough.

I now wish the club had ignored people like me and listened to your suggestion instead :greengrin

ArmadaleHibs
11-06-2014, 02:10 PM
I was generally ok with the appointment of butcher but not excited.

I will admit I thought he would have done things to better the club on and off the field. I never thought in a million years that we'd end up where we are now.

But, and it's a big but, I think in the long term this could benefit hibs. We needed something as dramatic as this to truelly highlight the inept running of our great club. I'm hopeful now LD is in (I believe she really has the reigns and Petrie is a back seat player) we might come out of this wether this year or next in a far better position.

Any hibs team that has a winning structure on the park WILL be supported by the fans regardless of the league were in. I really hope we can hit the ground running and the fans will flood back and fortunes will change. It's got to be better than bimbling along lacking any spirit in the top flight for the next however many years and never getting to the bottom of the problem.

Ps: I am an eternal optimist

GGTTH

PatHead
11-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Not done an answer as I thought he was the man for the job but understand why he had to go after relegation

Stevie Reid
11-06-2014, 03:36 PM
I was encouraged enough after our initial form, but first raised serious concerns about him on here after the Raith game. Did nothing to address the problems that we were caused from the 1st minute to the last, against an average Championship team in poor form.

erskine-hibby
11-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes I backed the latest in a long line of sacrificial lambs led to the slaughter.
Brought in to clear out the dross and rebuild. Sacked for having the audacity to actually try. And, of course, to deflect critisism from the teflon man.

Argylehibby
11-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Yes I did, Oh how wrong I was!

snooky
11-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I thought he would steady the ship at least.
Mind you, I've backed a few carthorses in my day so I' m no expert in picking winners.

Sumner
11-06-2014, 03:57 PM
I thought he would have been backed, maybe Rooney budgeted for.. but why then would the Tache change the habits of a penny-pinching, wage-shrinking, deal-sabotaging lifetime and back funding?.. paid off, eh!

Galahibby
11-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I will qualify my vote of 'yes, I thought he was the answer' by saying I thought he could have been the answer. Like McLeish, Collins and Sauzee, I thought his contacts would have been invaluable for bringing in new players. I also thought that, as an international defender, he might have at least have managed to make us difficult to beat. That obviously didn't work out so well eh... and the hoofball was just soul destroying. My biggest worry now is that having let him bin almost the entire squad (not the worst move in itself, as it happens!) including KT (maybe not such a good move!) and, if the rumours are to be believed, knock back the chance to get Claros back, we are really under pressure to get a decent manager in who is going to be able to assemble a decent-ish squad in a very short time, and who the hell is that going to be? I like what Leeann Dempster has been saying up til now, but then I liked Butcher's talk when he arrived so that doesn't count for much. I think I'm just generally scunnered with the whole situation really!

Eyrie
11-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I will qualify my vote of 'yes, I thought he was the answer' by saying I thought he could have been the answer. Like McLeish, Collins and Sauzee, I thought his contacts would have been invaluable for bringing in new players. I also thought that, as an international defender, he might have at least have managed to make us difficult to beat. That obviously didn't work out so well eh... and the hoofball was just soul destroying. My biggest worry now is that having let him bin almost the entire squad (not the worst move in itself, as it happens!) including KT (maybe not such a good move!) and, if the rumours are to be believed, knock back the chance to get Claros back, we are really under pressure to get a decent manager in who is going to be able to assemble a decent-ish squad in a very short time, and who the hell is that going to be? I like what Leeann Dempster has been saying up til now, but then I liked Butcher's talk when he arrived so that doesn't count for much. I think I'm just generally scunnered with the whole situation really!

The rumours were false at best and malicious at worst. It's been confirmed that there were no discussions whilst Butcher was our manager.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Must be kicking himself now for leaving ICT. One minute languishing in 2nd place in the SPL with a cup final beckoning - months later out on his ar$e and career in tatters.

I wonder how that bodes for his motivational talks down south!

Phil D. Rolls
11-06-2014, 08:05 PM
I wanted him in and after the first few weeks, I was almost certain we were onto a winner. Week on week after that we seemed to get worse; tactics were non existent, team selections were baffling and that coupled with injuries to some of our better players ultimately lead to the predicament we are currently in. Even with the injuries we had, a manager would be expected to make better use of the players Terry had at his disposal. He wasn't the right guy for the job and his so-called 'sport psychology' qualification that we were all wetting ourselves over when he first arrived turned out to be a bit of a sick joke, considering the mental toughness and togetherness of the squad regressed back to the way it was prior to Fenlon from January this year onwards.

There was no consistency of selection. Granted there were injuries, but it didn't help that he wouldn't pick some players that were fit.

The enduring image of his time will be that half time team talk when Malpas was on his moby sending a text. It's almost as if they were trying to get the sack.

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2014, 08:14 PM
There was no consistency of selection. Granted there were injuries, but it didn't help that he wouldn't pick some players that were fit.

The enduring image of his time will be that half time team talk when Malpas was on his moby sending a text. It's almost as if they were trying to get the sack.

And then throw players in that had not played in months. OTJ and Thomson away at St Mirren, both thrown in together after not playing for ages, clearly never match fit.

sleeping giant
11-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I was fully behind him until the 2nd leg of the Hamilton game.
I find it hard to want anyone sacked from Hibs.
I suppose I kept hoping that we would turn the corner after the next match.

HibbyAndy
11-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I was fully behind him until the 2nd leg of the Hamilton game.
I find it hard to want anyone sacked from Hibs.
I suppose I kept hoping that we would turn the corner after the next match.

Awrite Jimmy ya radge :greengrin

sleeping giant
11-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Awrite Jimmy ya radge :greengrin

Braw :greengrin

Another transitional close season eh? Whaes like us :faf:

Criswell
11-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I had such high hopes when Terry joined and I'm gutted it has ended this way. I believed he was right man for the job, and FWIW still believe that. (where's that tin hat!) He thought that the squad of players he inherited was good enough to survive and the serious business of re-building could begin in earnest in the close season. How wrong he was!

It would seem that his more demanding robust style of management was just too much for the sensitivities of the delicate little flowers masquarading as professional footballers.

Phil D. Rolls
11-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I had such high hopes when Terry jioned and I'm gutted it has ended this way. I believed he was right man for the job, and FWIW still believe that. (where's that tin hat!) He thought that the squad of players he inherited was good enough to survive and the serious business of re-building could begin in earnest in the close season. How wrong he was!

It would seem that his more demanding robust style of management was just too much for the sensitivities of the delicate little flowers masquarading as professional footballers.

Three points from six games, anybody should have been able to achieve that.

Dinkydoo
11-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Stevenson must have wondered what the hell he had to do to claim Left Mid for himself. I recall at least 3 games in a row at the beginning of Butchers tenure where he either setup a goal, scored *gasp* or put in a 'man of the match' performance. He was then dropped and featured in and out at full back for most games he played in, for the remainder of the season. Even the most confident of players would have been a bit taken aback by that. Man mis-management at its finest.

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I had such high hopes when Terry joined and I'm gutted it has ended this way. I believed he was right man for the job, and FWIW still believe that. (where's that tin hat!) He thought that the squad of players he inherited was good enough to survive and the serious business of re-building could begin in earnest in the close season. How wrong he was!

They were, but under that clown with his tactics, team selections and terrific motivational skills he managed to do the impossible. :rolleyes:

erskine-hibby
11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
They were, but under that clown with his tactics, team selections and terrific motivational skills he managed to do the impossible. :rolleyes:

I disagree. I think the squad he inherited was 3/4 of the way to relegation, regardless of their position when TB took over.
Fenlon failed to address the defensive and attacking weaknesses, and just filled the team with defensive midfielders. No wonder we played back to front constantly. A sbockingly unbalanced squad, that was just waiting to get relegated.

(((Fergus)))
11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes. I didn't realise that under the loveable, bumbling, chummy exterior lay a thick, arrogant bully.

Stevie Reid
12-06-2014, 09:07 AM
I disagree. I think the squad he inherited was 3/4 of the way to relegation, regardless of their position when TB took over.
Fenlon failed to address the defensive and attacking weaknesses, and just filled the team with defensive midfielders. No wonder we played back to front constantly. A sbockingly unbalanced squad, that was just waiting to get relegated.

How can you possibly justify that statement? 3/4 on the way to relegation even though after 11 games we had 15 points, won 4 of the 8 games that we would win overall, and gained 43% of our overall points total? Right then.

The squad was deficient, and the football poor, but we weren't on the way to relegation when Fenlon left - we were on our way to another 7th place finish (and I'm NOT saying that is good enough). We weren't scoring many, but we weren't conceding many (domestically) either. Under Butcher we scored much less, and conceded loads more - somehow that's Fenlon's fault? Butcher didn't improve a single player, in fact he made them all much worse - and then wasted his first (and turns out, only) chance to improve the squad also.

And to try and justify Butcher's long ball ***** in any way - especially given he ostracized the likes of Thomson for so long - is just crazy.

There are loads of things to have a go at Fenlon for, but to claim that he is more culpable in us getting relegated than Butcher was, is completely ridiculous.

brog
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
OK, tin hat on here but not only was I delighted with the appointment of TB but I find it hard to fault RP for any of our prior managerial appointments from Mowbray to date. I was delighted with JC, more than happy with Mixu, Yogi & CC & though I knew very little about PF I knew he had been courted by Dundee Utd but had rebuffed them. I was much happier with those appointments than if we had gone the Largs mafia route, Jimmy Calderwood etc.
While I'm on a roll I also think Hibs have acted extremely correctly in the current situation.
The first main criticism is we should have acted immediately to sack TB after the Hamilton game. We really couldn't do that, LB wasn't on board & if RP had done the dirty deed everyone would have said LD was RP's puppet. TB was on holiday by time LD arrived so sacking was done at earliest opportunity. In fact, I understand there was some debate re delaying until MM returned from holiday but wiser counsel prevailed. The 2nd main criticism is RP's attendance at TB's sacking. Anyone with a shred of knowledge re HR matters knows you need at least 2 people at one of these meetings. Could it have been someone else? Possibly, but the club at present is operating in stand by mode with very few people about & ( unfortunately ) RP remains our MD & was the person who brought TB to the club. He was the obvious person to attend the sacking meeting. My main concern now is the way forward & I hope & expect to see a major reorganisation of the whole club structure.
PS, I remain a strong critic of RP & hope he goes but I find it hard to blame him for this season's debacle.

Baker9
12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
He was not my choice but I was not unhappy with the appointment. I thought he would improve us.

Mind you I have tried to be optimistic about all our managers and players when they come in and I think I might be running out of hope, I have not seen any names mentioned for a new manager which excite me.

This reflects how I feel about it. If we don't get McCall I will run out of hope as well. If we get him I will be very optimistic, yet again.

erskine-hibby
12-06-2014, 12:26 PM
How can you possibly justify that statement? 3/4 on the way to relegation even though after 11 games we had 15 points, won 4 of the 8 games that we would win overall, and gained 43% of our overall points total? Right then.

The squad was deficient, and the football poor, but we weren't on the way to relegation when Fenlon left - we were on our way to another 7th place finish (and I'm NOT saying that is good enough). We weren't scoring many, but we weren't conceding many (domestically) either. Under Butcher we scored much less, and conceded loads more - somehow that's Fenlon's fault? Butcher didn't improve a single player, in fact he made them all much worse - and then wasted his first (and turns out, only) chance to improve the squad also.

And to try and justify Butcher's long ball ***** in any way - especially given he ostracized the likes of Thomson for so long - is just crazy.

There are loads of things to have a go at Fenlon for, but to claim that he is more culpable in us getting relegated than Butcher was, is completely ridiculous.

I thought I justified that in the second part of my post?
But hey, opinions.

Stevie Reid
12-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I thought I justified that in the second part of my post?
But hey, opinions.

You don't need me to tell you you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just startled that such an extreme one is based on so very little.

blackpoolhibs
12-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Stevie Reid saved me posting a reply. :top marks

erskine-hibby
12-06-2014, 03:20 PM
You don't need me to tell you you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just startled that such an extreme one is based on so very little.

A squad bereft of any attacking skill or goal threat. A squad that couldn't defend. A squad built (I use that term lightly) by Fenlon, that's what I base my opinion on.
I'm not for one minute suggesting that Butcher was blameless, oh no, but imho he was on a hiding to nothing with what he inherited.

mjh
12-06-2014, 04:14 PM
I did as well. He seemed to come across as a winner, great network for hidden gems etc. So what the hell do I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree

Galahibby
21-06-2014, 06:29 PM
The rumours were false at best and malicious at worst. It's been confirmed that there were no discussions whilst Butcher was our manager.

Well that's one less thing to feel crap about I suppose!:aok: