PDA

View Full Version : Alex McLeish willing to take on a 'suitable project' as a manager

R'Albin
10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9344561/alex-mcleish-admits-he-is-keen-to-take-on-a-suitable-project-if-it-allows-him-to-return-to-football-management

This interview was just posted on SS website. No idea if he's hinting at the Hibs job or if it's just a coincidence.

Former Rangers and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish says he is keen to get back into management after more than a year out the game.
McLeish, who won two SPL titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups during his time at Ibrox, admits he would be tempted back into management if a 'suitable project' came along.
The Scot, out of the game since being relieved of his post at Nottingham Forest in February 2013, is open to offers and would consider moving abroad for the right position.
Speaking to Sky Sports News he said: "It's a little bit frustrating. It would be nice to get a wee opportunity again. Maybe even a change of scenery if nothing happens for me in England.
"But I would certainly like to get back into the English game as I feel I still have a bit to offer and there is still a bit of success in me yet.
"There have been one or two things recently but I would like to get a project now that we can say 'let's have a real go at this. Two or three years with a chairman owner who has similar kind of ideas to my own."
McLeish, who won the 2011 League Cup during his time in charge of Birmingham City, has already been linked with the managerial vacancy at former club Hibernian following the departure of Terry Butcher.

Michael
10-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't want him. He doesn't look to have the same drive he had 15 years ago.

Hibs History
10-06-2014, 04:56 PM
A 'Project' is certainly one way to describe Hibs right now

neil7908
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Just don't see it, he even says on the above he's looking to get back into "the English game.

Devilstorment
10-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Im not sure if this is the media just bringing out the same story to link it to the hibs situation, but in his previous interview he went on to say that the project would involve a chairman/owner with ambition.... i.e. money to spend

nribs
10-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I'd rather have Henry McLeish

eggbamyasi
10-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Would take mcleish defo . Did it before and played exciting football . Would also take Mowbray . Just not sure either would drop to championship .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Phil D. Rolls
10-06-2014, 05:37 PM
A 'Project' is certainly one way to describe Hibs right now

Americans call the worst housing in their cities "projects". Kind of sums us up.

Lucius Apuleius
10-06-2014, 06:15 PM
No thanks GJP.

RoslinInstHibby
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
I would have him back.....created the best hibs side i have seen in the flesh.

Barney McGrew
10-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I would have him back.....created the best hibs side i have seen in the flesh.

With a ****load of money to help him do it. Has he succeeded anywhere post ER where he's not been able to outspend the opposition?

Springbank
10-06-2014, 08:04 PM
People need to type sauzee into YouTube and watch all the videos of MacLeish and his team.
Outstanding

c31
10-06-2014, 08:05 PM
he should have been brought it for the last 5 games and we wouldn't be where we are now..

Gavin1875
10-06-2014, 08:09 PM
With a ****load of money to help him do it. Has he succeeded anywhere post ER where he's not been able to outspend the opposition?

Scotland

bandylegs_jLeighton
10-06-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't know if he is a realistic possibility, but out of all the names being banded about, he would be my favourite.

Experienced, has won things (including the 1st division last time here), would have contacts with regards to signings, and knows how to beat Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcarter1
10-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Agree. Fenlon was similar in that his success came with relative financial muscle in the Irish leagues. The bottom line is that if we get good players next season and the manager isn't a mentalist we will do well. If we get rubbish players then I doubt even Alex Ferguson would be able to do much good. Mourhino is an example of a manager who can create something greater than the sum of their parts, but Im stumped if I can think of a manager in our bracket that would fit that type.

In short: identify good hard fighting pros with decent ability, and the manager doesn't need to do all that much.

monktonharp
10-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Agree. Fenlon was similar in that his success came with relative financial muscle in the Irish leagues. The bottom line is that if we get good players next season and the manager isn't a mentalist we will do well. If we get rubbish players then I doubt even Alex Ferguson would be able to do much good. Mourhino is an example of a manager who can create something greater than the sum of their parts, but Im stumped if I can think of a manager in our bracket that would fit that type.

In short: identify good hard fighting pros with decent ability, and the manager doesn't need to do all that much.please qualify and quantify. we thought we had "good players" and we thought we'd got a manger that wisnae a mentalist. see how we ended up, this year. :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
10-06-2014, 10:57 PM
I'd rather have Henry McLeish

How anyone could dismiss him is beyond me. He's as big as a name we can be lucky to be linked with. I'd love him to come back to hibs to be honest.

snooky
10-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Away and count your shekels, Alex.

"You can't reheat a soufflé" - George Harrison

Hermit Crab
10-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Would clearly only want to use the club as a stepping stone to bigger things............ Again.

We need a long term fix not just a year or 18 months then looking for another manager again.

Hibeesmad
10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I've read a few interviews in which he has been talking about Hibs this season and he seems to understand what is expected at the club and he knows where the club have gone wrong

SunshineOnLeith
10-06-2014, 11:47 PM

In short: identify good hard fighting pros with decent ability, and the manager doesn't need to do all that much.

Next season we will be in a position of strong 'relative financial muscle'.

McLeish would be great but don't see it.

HKhibby
11-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I've read a few interviews in which he has been talking about Hibs this season and he seems to understand what is expected at the club and he knows where the club have gone wrong

I personally would have mcleish no problem, and good possibility he would take us up to spfl after one season, which is what we all want after all, but cant help think that he would be putting himself in the shop window again with this and someone else could come in for him soon after.....and that club could be Rangers!

Nutmegged
11-06-2014, 12:52 AM

If he knows where the club has gone wrong then maybe he could tell us since no-one can really define the actual problems within the club

cabbageandribs1875
11-06-2014, 01:22 AM
i'd drive him back up the road myself :agree:

Billy Mac
11-06-2014, 02:40 AM
How anyone could dismiss him is beyond me. He's as big as a name we can be lucky to be linked with. I'd love him to come back to hibs to be honest.
Would take him back in a heartbeat. Lucky enough to know the guy through a pal. He loved his time at Hibs and in Edinburgh and was blown away how big we were as a club as he said to me. He's no Ranger's fanatic but was brought up to watch Ranger's now and again and his brother is a big Ranger's man.Big deal, that's people's choice's but a less bigoted man you could never meet. An absolute gentleman who has ALWAYS talked to me about Hibs in glowing terms. Bear in mind, he was offered 3 times the salary at Ibrox that he was getting at Easter Road, fact. No probs with someone taking that offer. Not Anti-Hibs choice at the time, just a step along ambition wise and fiscally. Let's not forget that laterally we had a few dodgy results under Alex's stewardship but by jeez we had some great perfomances and splendid player's coming in who put the *****r's up Hertzalona and others! Take Alex back NOW!

bigwheel
11-06-2014, 05:34 AM
McLeish is a "first team" manager. He has no history, or interest, in building a club from academy through to the top team. He is a manager who likes a decent budget to play with. He also would leave us as soon as a better offer came along , giving us no stability - as he did when in almost all of his other jobs. He is not the right man for us at this time.

Peevemor
11-06-2014, 05:39 AM
McLeish is a "first team" manager. He has no history, or interest, in building a club from academy through to the top team.

How do you know? And how many people do have such experience?

He is a manager who likes a decent budget to play with. He also would leave us as soon as a better offer came along , giving us no stability - as he did when in almost all of his other jobs.

I think he's mayble already had the biggest jobs he's going to get.

He is not the right man for us at this time.

I'm not so sure.

Aldo
11-06-2014, 06:35 AM
The team McLeish assembled at Hibs was excellent and I would be happy to see him back at ER.

patch1875
11-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Would clearly only want to use the club as a stepping stone to bigger things............ Again.

We need a long term fix not just a year or 18 months then looking for another manager again.

This applies to to whoever comes in, do a job turning us around other clubs will come sniffing.

Scottie
11-06-2014, 07:16 AM
The team McLeish assembled at Hibs was excellent and I would be happy to see him back at ER.
Aldo he spent a whacking load o money back then that is not available now.
Want him nowhere near ER

bigwheel
11-06-2014, 07:22 AM
How do you know? And how many people do have such experience?

I think he's mayble already had the biggest jobs he's going to get.

I'm not so sure.

He has never focused on a top to academy approach, never talks about it, has no history of any interest in it.

Many coaches have a philosophy of working the club top to bottom, he isn't one

He probably has had his biggest job, but he will always want a bigger one than he has - he has done it all his managerial career..

I'm not saying he is a bad manager - just don't believe his agenda would be aligned to ours ...so I wouldn't want him as our next manager.

TowerHibs
11-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Got to love this board....people know what Ecks feelings and ambitions are. Other simply don't want him because they think he won't play ball regarding a budget or building the club.....without knowing if this is true or not!!!

Looking at other threads, all names except Ian Murray is getting pelters. Fans falling into the same trap as Mixu, Yogi and Butcher. Got to hope LD goes against her way and pays little attention to the fans forum which seems to build support for a manager on no basis what so ever except hearsay

Lucius Apuleius
11-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Treated us like **** the first time by walking out on us. No thanks.

TowerHibs
11-06-2014, 07:44 AM

Like kev Thomson and Derek Riordan (who was willing to miss 4 months of the season to sign for celtic)

Guy tripled his wage and went to a bigger club...end of. It's called football

AlbertK86
11-06-2014, 07:44 AM
I'd take him back but doubt he'd come.

Seems to still want to crack it in Engerland

Great team first time around and master stroke was getting Le God and wee Russ. These two were the main reason for his success at Hibs

However when Le God never played - we struggled

Lucius Apuleius
11-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Like kev Thomson and Derek Riordan (who was willing to miss 4 months of the season to sign for celtic)

Guy tripled his wage and went to a bigger club...end of. It's called football

Absolutely agree. That is why we should not look at him sgain. GJP. END OF. You forgot to capitalize the end of.

TowerHibs
11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Absolutely agree. That is why we should not look at him sgain. GJP. END OF. You forgot to capitalize the end of.
lol true

I'm not sure who we go for but some of the nonsense at managers being discounted because they don't do x, y or z.

Someone in here saying McLeish is only a 1st team coach and that he doesn't build a club. Be the same McLeish that got Donald Park in after Duffy sacked him. Same McLeish that signed Riordan, O'Connor, Whittaker, Brown and Thomson as kids???? They brought John Park to the club.

Scottie
11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
McLeish just been on talk sport talking to fat man Brazil. Talked briefly about Hibs and said he was surprised that Butcher was removed.
When asked about the job he quickly replied he was quite happy at the moment in Stratford Upon Avon focusing on his World Cup duties. (ie no interested)
Micky Quinn told Brazil that with all due respect McLeish is too big a manager for Hibs. :blah:

MB62
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
i'd drive him back up the road myself :agree:

I'm gonnae let your tyres doon :wink:

McLeish was about 2 or 3 more bad results away from getting the boot last time at ER before Der Hun came in and gave us money for him :thumbsup:
He has eventually been a nightmare everywhere he has gone, apart from the Dark side through the west, and a bairn with a biscuit erse could manage that lot successfully in domestic football.

Not for me.

jacomo
11-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Personally I'm over the GJP thing now, too much water under the bridge.

But he was at the helm the last time we had a big adventure, and spent big to get us up again. Just can't but think that this time around would feel like a pale imitation of those days, and he'd lack the motivation for a fight.

Lucius Apuleius
11-06-2014, 04:38 PM

But he was at the helm the last time we had a big adventure, and spent big to get us up again. Just can't but think that this time around would feel like a pale imitation of those days, and he'd lack the motivation for a fight.

That too. 😄

snooky
11-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Be okay if he could get Franck and Russ to don their jerseys again.
Naw? Like you say, too much water under the bridge. GJP is a yesterday man at least as far as Hibs are concerned.
Move on - forwards.

LeithBoozy
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Thinking about the millennium derby still gives me a Bonner, get him signed-up. :greengrin

Onion
11-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Nope to GJP. Strachan for Hibs !