PDA

View Full Version : What kind of guy would want the most toxic job in Scottish football?

hibs0666
10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Whoever takes this job has to be unstable or a desperado, or both

We can't offer a massive salary.

We can't offer a ready-made squad of competents.

We can't even offer a nucleus of a ready-made squad.

We can't offer a highly talented squad of youths.

We can offer a support that will be baying for blood at the first sign of a stray pass.

We can offer a dysfunctional senior management team to oversee your efforts.

Just hope the manager is a lucky barsteward - he will need it in sackloads if Hibs is to be a positive stepping stone in his career.

les83
10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
you're absolutely right - you'd have to mad to put in for the job. Mind you I think most of us reading this board would have a crack at it given the chance!!

--------
10-06-2014, 03:58 PM

We can offer a support that will be baying for blood at the first sign of a stray pass.

Just hope the manager is a lucky barsteward - he will need it in sackloads if Hibs is to be a positive stepping stone in his career.

He (or she) has a CEO to work with who knows her job, and he (or she) doesn't have last season's/last manager's squad with all the baggage that entails.

Against that, he (or she) still has Petrie hanging around in the background, and the most demanding, critical, and unreasonable support in football on his back from Day One.

He (or she) needs to hope that LD meant what she said in her early interviews.

On the plus side, I'm very persuaded she did.

R'Albin
10-06-2014, 03:59 PM
We can offer a bigger salary than anybody else in the Championship barring The Rangers and possibly Hearts.

We will have a bigger transfer budget than everyone (excluding the two aforementioned sides).

We have some of the best training facilities in Scotland.

We will give a new manager the opportunity to create an entire team of his own.

We have huge potential to progress as a club - an ambitious manager would believe that they could do that with us.

We are no longer being run by the man who many blame for our current situation and instead, we have hired a woman who was extremely successful at Motherwell.

I'm not saying that everything is rosy, and a few of the OP's points I do agree with. However, an ambitious manager would see us as a fantastic opportunity IMO.

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
An unemployed one

Gordy M
10-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Im sorry i totally disagree, hibs, in scottish terms, are a big club. Wages will be better than most other teams in scotland, chance to 'build' a new team, how many managers get the chance to do that?? I would imagine there will be a reasonable kitty for players. Potentially crowds bigger than all premiership teams apart frim celtic, and most importantly, if you suceed at hibs then a potentially 'really big job' would be a distinct possibility. Who wouldnt want that??

Sometimes think hibs fans are more 'down' on our club than our rivals. I was speaking to fans of a few clubs today and when i mentioned stuart mccall as a potential replacement, not one said than it would be a surprise or step down. I heard the same reasons/excuses before TB was appointed. We are a BIG club and a great job for someone who has the ambition to take us forward.

ekhibee
10-06-2014, 04:06 PM
We can offer a bigger salary than anybody else in the Championship barring The Rangers and possibly Hearts.

We will have a bigger transfer budget than everyone (excluding the two aforementioned sides).

We have some of the best training facilities in Scotland.

We will give a new manager the opportunity to create an entire team of his own.

We have huge potential to progress as a club - an ambitious manager would believe that they could do that with us.

We are no longer being run by the man who many blame for our current situation and instead, we have hired a woman who was extremely successful at Motherwell.

I'm not saying that everything is rosy, and a few of the OP's points I do agree with. IMO an ambitious manager would see us as a fantastic opportunity.
Yeh, agree with most of that and there is still something that would be attractive to somebody who wants a fresh challenge. The only way IMO that Hearts will have a comparable budget to ours is because of the compensation we'll probably be paying out. I have no idea who would be my choice for the job, but maybe a younger bloke just in to the managerial ranks. Foreign maybe?

Michael
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Claude Anelka would probably take the job.

Turkish Green
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
you're absolutely right - you'd have to mad to put in for the job. Mind you I think most of us reading this board would have a crack at it given the chance!!

if I recall, even during the maddest days of the cult of Vlad, there were still Scottish coaches wanting to accept the poison chalice even when they knew they would never complete the job: Burley, McGlynn, Duffy, Frail, Jefferies and finally Locke all had a go. The issue was that they had a decent squad to manage.

Someone will take the reigns at ER. Exciting times ahead.

Yuillsy
10-06-2014, 04:11 PM
What manager gets the chance to go into a club and mould his own team from the off? I think this is an attractive job and a great opportunity for any manager with a bit of ambition.
They come while the club is on it's knees, get to bring in there own players immediately and if all goes well it's win win. Personally I think the board will have some sort of shortlist already but I don't think there will be a shortage of applicants.

Pretty Boy
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Football managers have egos lile anyone else. I'm sure a fair few would like the idea of being the man to 'turn Hibs around'.

A blank canvas to build his own team, a new CEO who seems determined to rebuild the club behind the scenes and on the park, great facilities and a fanbase every other club outside Celtic, The Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen can only dream of.

The Hibs job is still an attractive job imo.

Franck Stanton
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Don't know who will come in but I do know he will have to be "The Right Appointment" as we must stop the "managerial merry go round" we have had for the past 5-7 years. THE MOST IMPORTANT member of staff at any club is the Manager, get that right and the rest falls into place. I just hope that Petrie does not have a say in who is appointed next as he has F****d up so many times in his tenure.

weecounty hibby
10-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Don't know who will come in but I do know he will have to be "The Right Appointment" as we must stop the "managerial merry go round" we have had for the past 5-7 years. THE MOST IMPORTANT member of staff at any club is the Manager, get that right and the rest falls into place. I just hope that Petrie does not have a say in who is appointed next as he has F****d up so many times in his tenure.
I may be wrong but I think that LD has someoen lined up and I don't think that RP will have a big say in the matter. We need to get away from the Petrie bashing and move on as a club. I want him gone as much as the next man but if LD says she is in charge we need to believe her. Or does everyone believe that she is lying!! Not a good way to start if thats the case!

weonlywon6-2
10-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Jeez we are hibs no Barcelona,there will always be a person willing to do the job. Its been unstable for a few years but for it to be described as toxic is a bit much imo.

judas
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM

One who would want to double his wages.

One who wants to succeed where others had failed.

I would far rather take a wounded club playing below its potential than one that has gone as high as it can

Franck Stanton
10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
I may be wrong but I think that LD has someoen lined up and I don't think that RP will have a big say in the matter. We need to get away from the Petrie bashing and move on as a club. I want him gone as much as the next man but if LD says she is in charge we need to believe her. Or does everyone believe that she is lying!! Not a good way to start if thats the case!

Totally agree, personally, from what I have seen/read about Ms Dempsey I think she is a strong willed person and will do thing her way, Someone we have needed for a number of years now.