ManBearPig
10-06-2014, 03:11 PM
go forth and multiply

les83
10-06-2014, 03:28 PM
not even in jest!! don't give the tache ideas!!! lol

Topographic Hibby
10-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Only three men have won a major trophy with Hibs in the last 50 years. One is a club legend, sadly no longer with us, another uses far too much hair dye for a man of his age.

..and the other has a Champions League medal in his trophy cabinet.

Go figure.....

.....that said, even at his maddest and boldest, The Tache wouldn't dare, would he?

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Stoap it eh?

:brickwall:slipper::chop:

:wink:

Aldo
10-06-2014, 03:46 PM
not even in jest!! don't give the tache ideas!!! lol

It's got nowt to do with him anymore!! :-)

--------
10-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Only three men have won a major trophy with Hibs in the last 50 years. One is a club legend, sadly no longer with us, another uses far too much hair dye for a man of his age.

..and the other has a Champions League medal in his trophy cabinet.

Go figure.....

.....that said, even at his maddest and boldest, The Tache wouldn't dare, would he?

Lexo's only a year older then me ... Prime of life, I'd say! :stirrer:

HibbySpurs
10-06-2014, 04:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Miller :greengrin

Good god please no!

after many of my formative years were spent watching his brand of football I'm amazed I'm still a Hibs fan!!!

he did win a trophy though & relegation was hardly ever a consideration

Aldo
10-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Good god please no! after many of my formative years were spent watching his brand of football I'm amazed I'm still a Hibs fan!!! he did win a trophy though & relegation was hardly ever a consideration

To be fair he did sign some decent payers - Jackson, Wright (both of them) O'Neil, Crunchie McGinlay and some others. Yip he didn't always play a very attractive game but we did ok with him.

HibbySpurs
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
To be fair he did sign some decent payers - Jackson, Wright (both of them) O'Neil, Crunchie McGinlay and some others. Yip he didn't always play a very attractive game but we did ok with him.

All true but it was all just so monotonous but history shows him to have been a good manager for us which is fair reflection even if the football was eye bleeding at times.

weecounty hibby
10-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Gave us two decent years out of ten. As someone said earlier God knows how so many of us remained Hibbies watching his teams for so long. I always hated the way that he played the Hun card when fans were getting on his back. I didn't want rid of him 'cos he was a Hun I wanted rid of him 'cos the football was crap and we were going nowhere under him

Nomeancity
10-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Our (serious) decline started the day we got rid of miller. It summed up all that is wrong with us hibs fans and this play the game the hibs way nonsense. There is no such thing as a hibs way- unless of course you count catastrophic failure as being the hibs way. I hate this the miller teams were boring crap. We have seen over the last many years what real boring football is. Miller had some really good phases as the hibs manager and when he didn't have a good phase he shut up shop and made us difficult to beat. But no we weren't happy with this because it wasn't the hibs way.if you define how we have played over the last twent seasons the the hibs way is phish. Stop thinking a couple of good seasons with mcleish ( which by the way if butcher had signed over 50 players then even he would have won a game) and mowbray ( had the good fortune of having the team at the time the golden generation came through) define the hibs way. The hibs way on average over the last 20 to 30 years is to underperform.
if you prefer that to miller then maybe that is why we are in the state we are. Stop blaming Petrie all the time - let's look to ourselves.

BoltonHibee
10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
We wouldn't get relegated, I'm sure of that

weecounty hibby
10-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Our (serious) decline started the day we got rid of miller. It summed up all that is wrong with us hibs fans and this play the game the hibs way nonsense. There is no such thing as a hibs way- unless of course you count catastrophic failure as being the hibs way. I hate this the miller teams were boring crap. We have seen over the last many years what real boring football is. Miller had some really good phases as the hibs manager and when he didn't have a good phase he shut up shop and made us difficult to beat. But no we weren't happy with this because it wasn't the hibs way.if you define how we have played over the last twent seasons the the hibs way is phish. Stop thinking a couple of good seasons with mcleish ( which by the way if butcher had signed over 50 players then even he would have won a game) and mowbray ( had the good fortune of having the team at the time the golden generation came through) define the hibs way. The hibs way on average over the last 20 to 30 years is to underperform.
if you prefer that to miller then maybe that is why we are in the state we are. Stop blaming Petrie all the time - let's look to ourselves.

I disagree I said this in the Danny Lennon thread. Cut and paste as I cant be bothered retyping.

I don't want him either but for someone to say no because all he will ever be is fighting relegation well..............in most of my 41 years as a Hibby so have Hibs unfortunately. We need someone to take us forward as a team, as a club and DL aint it. We need to get out of this cycle we have been in for most of my time. We are THE biggest underachievers in Scottish football given our fan base and the resources we have. We need to get back to Premiership and the to the top end of it as we should ALWAYS be, fighting for the top and to be winning trophies

But this was us under Miller, avoiding relegation was his No1 aim IMO. As long as that happened he was happy, anything else was a bonus to him. That is the kind of attitude we should never ever accept at Hibs. We should be better than that and I hope to God that we get someone in who will move the club forward. I think we have this in the boardroom now with LD, just hope a similar stuation happens in the managers position

Nomeancity
10-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I disagree I said this in the Danny Lennon thread. Cut and paste as I cant be bothered retyping.

I don't want him either but for someone to say no because all he will ever be is fighting relegation well..............in most of my 41 years as a Hibby so have Hibs unfortunately. We need someone to take us forward as a team, as a club and DL aint it. We need to get out of this cycle we have been in for most of my time. We are THE biggest underachievers in Scottish football given our fan base and the resources we have. We need to get back to Premiership and the to the top end of it as we should ALWAYS be, fighting for the top and to be winning trophies

But this was us under Miller, avoiding relegation was his No1 aim IMO. As long as that happened he was happy, anything else was a bonus to him. That is the kind of attitude we should never ever accept at Hibs. We should be better than that and I hope to God that we get someone in who will move the club forward. I think we have this in the boardroom now with LD, just hope a similar stuation happens in the managers position

Cant remember exactly what his finishes were but he did a wee bit more than just avoid relegation. Not saying he was the greatest far from it but he had us on an even keel. Something we have not had since he left. Maybe if we had appreciated this and given him more support then maybe we could have kicked on. Instead the first bad patch he had we get on his back and played the Hun card - it was us that played the Hun card not him.
and here we go again let's get someone who will take us to our rightful place at the top of scottish football- why would anyone want to come to us. We are in our rightful place at the moment we need someone who has the ability to get us out of it. Not someone who will give us the hibs way nonsense.

Nomeancity
10-06-2014, 06:07 PM
All true but it was all just so monotonous but history shows him to have been a good manager for us which is fair reflection even if the football was eye bleeding at times.

Lets now put this in context. Miller teams were like watching Barcelona compared to what we have endured over the last 8 years, which has been truly eye bleeding.
I can't believe after what we have just watched that people can still slag the miller years, ok at the time it seemed bad but not now. And I base this on watching a few videos I have of the crunchie, Jackson, wright days. Here's a question for you, name one (regular) miller centre half you wouldn't have had in our team this year.

capitals_finest
10-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Lets now put this in context. Miller teams were like watching Barcelona compared to what we have endured over the last 8 years, which has been truly eye bleeding.
I can't believe after what we have just watched that people can still slag the miller years, ok at the time it seemed bad but not now. And I base this on watching a few videos I have of the crunchie, Jackson, wright days. Here's a question for you, name one (regular) miller centre half you wouldn't have had in our team this year.

I started watching Hibs under Miller and have many great memories, no doubt there were bad times but as a Hibby nearing 30 his teams were definately better than most Hibs teams since. Players like O'neil, crunchie, Jackson, Weir, Wright, Harper and Mcginlay are amongst the most exciting to put on a Hibs shirt in my lifetime. Not the answer to our problems but I agree we have had a lot worse Managers since.

macca70
10-06-2014, 07:46 PM
He was at the Partick game. I was in the Board Room and Directors Box he was sitting behind me and he was talking to the guy I was there with.

So either still has a soft spot for us or maybe another reason :)

eastterrace
10-06-2014, 07:53 PM

miller had one of the worst derby records ever, and you say the decline started then when we punted him he was way past his sell by date, he was a boring twat.

lord bunberry
10-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I'd rather not have a manager

TRC
10-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I grew up watching his football and I still remember my old boy telling me it'll get better took about 10 years mind but as a youngster you lived in hope

Nomeancity
10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=eastterrace;4056818]miller had one of the worst derby records ever, and you say the decline started then when we punted him he was way past his sell by date, he was a boring twat.[/

Bad derby record and a Hun. Punt him. Stuff that slow but steady progress let's go all out for a derby win a season with catastrophic relegation at the end of it. I'll give you that butcher has a better derby record than miller. So does fenlon. And we have certainly had an exciting roller coaster ride since miller left.

Dr Jimmy
10-06-2014, 10:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Miller :greengrin

Oh aye and Gary Locke as his number 2.
Although Locke prefers number 1s...... All over his coupon apparently.

highland hibbee
11-06-2014, 08:44 AM
miller had one of the worst derby records ever, and you say the decline started then when we punted him he was way past his sell by date, he was a boring twat.

Think he was the manager for their 22 unbeaten run against us?? Wasn't he also the manager for a 7-0 grubbing by the Huns. Also the two ginger haired ladies who played virus with the surname miller, were they his sons? Wasn't there also a tie in with his wife and the catering? His signing of Keith Keith Keith seemed to change the way we played and there were a couple of good seasons with Darren Jackson and Mikey O'Neill, Mickey Weir and Pat McGinlay and even quite exciting fullbacks in Miller and Mitchell certainly in comparison to some of the dross we have witnessed in recent years and he even managed to replace Goram with Budgie and Leighton so did well there, and during that couple or so of seasons we also played an exciting brand of football. However he also signed Brian Hamilton, wasn't there a family connection there too, I know Hamilton played in the 91 cup winning team but never seemed to put his heart into his play. So all in all abysmal record against THEM, disgraceful defeat by the Huns, nepotism in his signings, pish poor attitude to the supporters and 2 decent seasons out of 10. I suppose most of the managers since have also managed a 20% record too, kind of says we have endured a lot longer than we initially think of pish poor football.

jdships
11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=eastterrace;4056818]miller had one of the worst derby records ever, and you say the decline started then when we punted him he was way past his sell by date, he was a boring twat.[/

Bad derby record and a Hun. Punt him. Stuff that slow but steady progress let's go all out for a derby win a season with catastrophic relegation at the end of it. I'll give you that butcher has a better derby record than miller. So does fenlon. And we have certainly had an exciting roller coaster ride since miller left.

OK his managerial record could have been better .
As for being a "Twat" , you obviously have never met the man .
One of the game's gentlemen , liked by the players , a first class coach and could spot young talent at an early age .
enjoyed his friendship while at ER
:not worth

Turkish Green
11-06-2014, 09:11 AM

I saw my first live one when I was 18. As soon as I saw it, I instinctively knew what it was. It looked nothing like Miller.

number 27
11-06-2014, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=Nomeancity;4057162]

OK his managerial record could have been better .
As for being a "Twat" , you obviously have never met the man .
One of the game's gentlemen , liked by the players , a first class coach and could spot young talent at an early age .
enjoyed his friendship while at ER
:not worth

I only met him once, we all have bad days so it might be unfair to judge him but he made at least three comments in a 5 minute conversation that I would regard as sectarian bigotry.

E10 Rifle
11-06-2014, 09:44 AM
We musn't forget the dire state of the club before he took over too - we'd been rubbish since losing to Rangers in the 79 Cup Final. Apart from the McLeish team with LeGod and Latapy, Miller produced the best team I have seen at Hibs in over 30 years. His time just came to a natural end in my view, particularly when he started scrabbling around signing Ray Wilkins etc.

I think someone on Hibs.net wrote an excellent article a few years ago where they pointed a key moment in his tenure where he got it wrong and Hearts go it right (Hearts signed Colin Cameron we signed Ian Cameron!) and that affected our derby record in particular which led to growing frustration among the support. It's wrong of us however to be so harsh on the guy. He kept us in good fettle and clearly grew to love Hibs. If he only had that better derby record I reckon he'd be held in far higher esteem.

--------
11-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Our (serious) decline started the day we got rid of miller. It summed up all that is wrong with us hibs fans and this play the game the hibs way nonsense. There is no such thing as a hibs way- unless of course you count catastrophic failure as being the hibs way. I hate this the miller teams were boring crap. We have seen over the last many years what real boring football is. Miller had some really good phases as the hibs manager and when he didn't have a good phase he shut up shop and made us difficult to beat. But no we weren't happy with this because it wasn't the hibs way.if you define how we have played over the last twent seasons the the hibs way is phish. Stop thinking a couple of good seasons with mcleish (which by the way if butcher had signed over 50 players then even he would have won a game) and mowbray ( had the good fortune of having the team at the time the golden generation came through) define the hibs way. The hibs way on average over the last 20 to 30 years is to underperform.

I understand that Butcher actually had more than 50 players on the books last year. I gather that one of LD's aims is to get the squad down to something in the mid-30's. This is much more realistic for a Championship side of modest past achievements.

On the whole, though, I agree with you. I've been guilty in the past of expecting far too much from the team and the manager, and I've vented my frustration on these forums. But in retrospect I now realise that given the circumstances many of those managers found themselves in, I (along with a whole lot of others) was being unfair.

It depresses me (and scares me, honestly) to see the same process starting to develop on this forum regarding Leeann Dempster. Eleven days in the job, and already the knives are coming out.

(Which is one reason I want Petrie OUT OF MY FOOTBALL CLUB. He compromises everything and everyone he touches.)

Bobby Williamson was working in a situation of self-imposed administration. Massive (and necessary) economies had been imposed from above after the whole financial structure of the club was thrown into chaos by the loss of major TV money back in McLeish's time. I suspect the same financial crisis was what really crippled Franck Sauzee.

Mowbray did miracles on a shoestring - though as you say he had the tremendous advantage of coming to a club with Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Riordan, O'Connor, and Murray on its books. He managed to hold onto Caldwell, and was actually able to punt Brebner and McManus, thereby establishing that in the dressingroom, HE was The Boss.

My argument with Petrie (and to a lesser extent STF) is that we now have our 8th manager in 10 years) or something like it - I've lost count, tbh). And each one has come, seen, failed to conquer (except Collins, briefly, in March '07) and then left, usually 'by mutual consent' (which I don't freakin' believe). And each one left us in a worse state than before he came.

And the man who oversaw this charade is STILL HERE, STILL ISSUING STATEMENTS REGARDING CLUB POLICY AND PLANNING.

HE NEEDS TO GO - THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CLEAR TO ME.

But you're right - one of the things Hibs need right now is an a bit of humility on the part of the supporters. The truth is that while we've been laughing ourselves silly at the 'deluded Yams' across the city, we've been as deluded as they are. We've allowed a preposterous situation in our boardroom to go unchallenged year after year after year, on the basis that 'at least our books balance and we're not conning anyone like the Huns or the Gunts are'.

That was true, but look around - we're exactly where the Huns and the Gunts are, only WE don't have a manager, and we don't have even the beginnings of a first-team squad.

Honesty and prudence may be great virtues - I don't want Hibs to be speculating with money that isn't theirs, nor do I want us to go into major debt chasing pipe-dreams.

But I do expect the board of my football club to manage that club in a competent and effective manner, which, given the size of the club and the numbers of potential supporters we have, should not involve relegation from the top flight - certainly not relegation 'achieved' in the shambling, cowardly, dishonest, and acrimonious way we went down last season.

E10 Rifle
11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I understand that Butcher actually had more than 50 players on the books last year. I gather that one of LD's aims is to get the squad down to something in the mid-30's. This is much more realistic for a Championship side of modest past achievements.

On the whole, though, I agree with you. I've been guilty in the past of expecting far too much from the team and the manager, and I've vented my frustration on these forums. But in retrospect I now realise that given the circumstances many of those managers found themselves in, I (along with a whole lot of others) was being unfair.

It depresses me (and scares me, honestly) to see the same process starting to develop on this forum regarding Leeann Dempster. Eleven days in the job, and already the knives are coming out.

(Which is one reason I want Petrie OUT OF MY FOOTBALL CLUB. He compromises everything and everyone he touches.)

Bobby Williamson was working in a situation of self-imposed administration. Massive (and necessary) economies had been imposed from above after the whole financial structure of the club was thrown into chaos by the loss of major TV money back in McLeish's time. I suspect the same financial crisis was what really crippled Franck Sauzee.

Mowbray did miracles on a shoestring - though as you say he had the tremendous advantage of coming to a club with Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Riordan, O'Connor, and Murray on its books. He managed to hold onto Caldwell, and was actually able to punt Brebner and McManus, thereby establishing that in the dressingroom, HE was The Boss.

My argument with Petrie (and to a lesser extent STF) is that we now have our 8th manager in 10 years) or something like it - I've lost count, tbh). And each one has come, seen, failed to conquer (except Collins, briefly, in March '07) and then left, usually 'by mutual consent' (which I don't freakin' believe). And each one left us in a worse state than before he came.

And the man who oversaw this charade is STILL HERE, STILL ISSUING STATEMENTS REGARDING CLUB POLICY AND PLANNING.

HE NEEDS TO GO - THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CLEAR TO ME.

But you're right - one of the things Hibs need right now is an a bit of humility on the part of the supporters. The truth is that while we've been laughing ourselves silly at the 'deluded Yams' across the city, we've been as deluded as they are. We've allowed a preposterous situation in our boardroom to go unchallenged year after year after year, on the basis that 'at least our books balance and we're not conning anyone like the Huns or the Gunts are'.

That was true, but look around - we're exactly where the Huns and the Gunts are, only WE don't have a manager, and we don't have even the beginnings of a first-team squad.

Honesty and prudence may be great virtues - I don't want Hibs to be speculating with money that isn't theirs, nor do I want us to go into major debt chasing pipe-dreams.

But I do expect the board of my football club to manage that club in a competent and effective manner, which, given the size of the club and the numbers of potential supporters we have, should not involve relegation from the top flight - certainly not relegation 'achieved' in the shambling, cowardly, dishonest, and acrimonious way we went down last season.

:top marks

Turkish Green
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Now here's the thing. I may be lacking in knowledge about the upper echelons of HFC, but apart from Petrie I haven't a clue who the other directors are. For the past few years the Board has just meant Petrie and Petrie the the Board.

"The Board met this morning and after a full discussion unanimously agreed" How often is this statement trolled out by the Club.

PETRIE OOT

CropleyWasGod
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Now here's the thing. I may be lacking in knowledge about the upper echelons of HFC, but apart from Petrie I haven't a clue who the other directors are. For the past few years the Board has just meant Petrie and Petrie the the Board.

"The Board met this morning and after a full discussion unanimously agreed" How often is this statement trolled out by the Club.

PETRIE OOT

It's all here:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/TheDirectors/0,,10290,00.html

Keith_M
11-06-2014, 10:35 AM
I just thought I'd throw in a couple of facts on the Miller years.

Under Miller, we averaged 6th/7th in the league. We also won our first trophy in 19 years.

The year after he left, we avoided relegation via a Play-Off win against Airdrie. The next season, we were relegated.

Just saying likes....... :wink: