PDA

View Full Version : Tony Mowbray

iainm1875
10-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Just sayin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nando™
10-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Hope not. The only reason he succeeded here was because he got lucky with great young players that could pass the ball. Failed miserably at Celtic.

H13BYM
10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Just sayin!

i was just thinkin' :hmmm:

Aldo
Just sayin! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope has had his time.

Hope not. The only reason he succeeded here was because he got lucky with great young players that could pass the ball. Failed miserably at Celtic.

This

iainm1875
Best football I've seen at ER.

The_Horde
10-06-2014, 02:53 PM

And got lucky at west brom too?

BoltonHibee1875
10-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Exactly!!

Nando™
10-06-2014, 02:54 PM
;4055531']And got lucky at west brom too?

Different league, different calibre of player and opposition. He had a cushy job at Celtic in Scotland and royally buggered it.

The_Horde
10-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Don't want him likes but hate that argument. Williamson had the same youngsters and done zap all with them.

ionahibby
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
No! New era for Hibs, let's stay away from former players and managers.

Aldo
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
;4055544"]Don't want him likes but hate that argument. Williamson had the same youngsters and done zap all with them.

And to think Blobby was going to swap Deek and Whittaker for Bobby Man.

iainm1875
10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Also got lucky with Deano, Boozy, Murphy, Ivan, jones, etc

No need to list failures, I know them too.

Zibby!!!!!!!!!

Reaper

This

The_Horde
Different league, different calibre of player and opposition. He had a cushy job at Celtic in Scotland and royally buggered it.

Maybe he's more suited to working with smaller teams?

Nando™
;4055544']Don't want him likes but hate that argument. Williamson had the same youngsters and done zap all with them.

Because Williamson is and was a ****wit

The_Horde
10-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Because Williamson is and was a ****wit

You're a ****wit. :wink: So you will agree that Mowbray done well to get the youngsters playing his way and believing in themselves?

Stevie Reid
10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Tony Mowbray wasn't lucky, he was an excellent Hibs manager. I don't think he's the man for us right now, but let's not resort to talking ***** about someone who made Easter Road unmissable entertainment with a shed load of wins in his time here.

If we've learned one thing from the Butcher debacle, it's that sometimes things don't work out for managers at certain clubs, and things sure went tits up for TM at Celtic, where I thought he'd do very well.

But luck had **** all to do with TM's success here.

greenlex
10-06-2014, 03:06 PM
If we rule out every manager that has been a failure somewhere along the line there won't be any candidates we could afford.

Ship Hibs
10-06-2014, 03:09 PM
He's the only manager in the last 10 years that's played the kind of football I want to pay to watch every weekend. Burst the bank and bring him back.

Diclonius
10-06-2014, 03:11 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

keep the faith
10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I would have no problem with that appointment.

Alfred E Newman
10-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Tony Mowbray wasn't lucky, he was an excellent Hibs manager. I don't think he's the man for us right now, but let's not resort to talking ***** about someone who made Easter Road unmissable entertainment with a shed load of wins in his time here.

If we've learned one thing from the Butcher debacle, it's that sometimes things don't work out for managers at certain clubs. Luck had **** all to do with TM's success here.

Just like Butcher was suited to ICT , Easter Road was the right fit for Mowbray. Some of the most enjoyable times watching Hibs when he was here but might be risky bringing him back. He was fortunate to inherit a brilliant bunch of youngsters, unfortunately we don't have that luxury now.

iainm1875
10-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Remember this http://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ

Stevie Reid
10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Just like Butcher was suited to ICT , Easter Road was the right fit for Mowbray. Some of the most enjoyable times watching Hibs when he was here but might be risky bringing him back. He was fortunate to inherit a brilliant bunch of youngsters, unfortunately we don't have that luxury now.

As I said, I'm not convinced he'd be right for us now. But anyone who assesses his time at Hibs as anything other than a roaring success, is talking *****. I would say IMO, but how could anyone say differently?!

iainm1875
10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
And this http://youtu.be/QLV-DCTD2OA

tamsonsbairn
10-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Russell Latapy for me.

Marty-Hibee
10-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Mental people having a go! Would give anything to see TM back at this rate. The kids he inherited had brilliant potential, but he probably had a huge say on how well that potential was filled in most cases.

And who's to say we don't have a few gems sitting in the u20s at the moment?

Keith_M
10-06-2014, 03:29 PM
"A lot has been achieved in my two years here and there is a lot more to do"

Tony Mowbray, 2006. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-386949/Mowbray-staying-Hibs.html)

To be fair, he didn't say it would be in only one spell as manager.

:wink:

Jim44
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Russell Latapy for me.

Latapy is a Yogi man is he not?

Pretty Boy
10-06-2014, 03:35 PM

If we've learned one thing from the Butcher debacle, it's that sometimes things don't work out for managers at certain clubs, and things sure went tits up for TM at Celtic, where I thought he'd do very well.

This 100%

HibbyAndy
10-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Spot on and well said.

Barman Stanton
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Spot on, what I was going to say. Some managers just work at certain clubs. For all the high expectations nonsense all we want is to challenge and play decent football. TM had is doing that.

I would be delighted if we went for him again. He could certainly spot a player and always gave youth a chance.

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Remember this http://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ

Along with that, try watch this and not get depressed. Had some brilliant players http://youtu.be/BCH2_AyIZWI

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
http://youtu.be/BCH2_AyIZWI

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Won promotion in his first year in england

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
I think if he came forward we'd be mad to turn him down. He's defo a quality manager who strives to get teams playing with the ball on the deck from the back. I want to to see it though that is only my opinion of coarse

AlbertK86
10-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't turn him down but don't see him coming back

However think he could bring the best out in Stanton, Harris, Forster and Cummings

Would certainly play a way that suits all of them

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Wouldn't turn him down but don't see him coming back

However think he could bring the best out in Stanton, Harris, Forster and Cummings

Would certainly play a way that suits all of them

I'd like to think he would. We've always got talent at youth level, we've not been bringing them through at all.

4 Front Teeth
10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
How could anyone possibly not want him back! Plays exactly the sort of football we like. End of!!!

Nando™
10-06-2014, 06:23 PM

;4055563']You're a ****wit. :wink: So you will agree that Mowbray done well to get the youngsters playing his way and believing in themselves?

I could have had Hibs playing the way they played under Mowbray, the players made it so easy for him, because they were brilliant. Once he had players at Celtic that couldn't play that way, he crumbled and didn't have a clue how to change it.

I'd have been interested to see how last season's garbage would have played under him. I'm guessing about exactly the same as they did under Butcher.

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I could have had Hibs playing the way they played under Mowbray, the players made it so easy for him, because they were brilliant. Once he had players at Celtic that couldn't play that way, he crumbled and didn't have a clue how to change it.

I'd have been interested to see how last season's garbage would have played under him. I'm guessing about exactly the same as they did under Butcher.

Bare in mind he brought in the players that made us play like that

Murphy
Jones
Boozy
Shiels
Benji
Stewart? Can't remember if this was his signing

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:32 PM

I very much doubt he'd ever resort to humping the ball up the park to nothing. Those players were brilliant, no doubt about it. Without Mowbray they may never have made it. Blobby tried to swap two or three of them for an aging defender I think.
We've taken enough chances with a mix of experience, young managers. If a proven success ie Mowbray is available I'd be delighted and be more than excited about our future.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Bare in mind he brought in the players that made us play like that

Murphy
Jones
Boozy
Shiels
Benji
Stewart? Can't remember if this was his signing
And Ivan, zemmama

Hiber-nation
10-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Wow...staggering!!

Nando™
10-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I very much doubt he'd ever resort to humping the ball up the park to nothing. Those players were brilliant, no doubt about it. Without Mowbray they may never have made it. Blobby tried to swap two or three of them for an aging defender I think.
We've taken enough chances with a mix of experience, young managers. If a proven success ie Mowbray is available I'd be delighted and be more than excited about our future.

But what else would he have them do? They were utter garbage and couldn't string two passes together for whole games at a time.

If we had a good spine in place for Mowbray to build a team around and also some excellent youngsters coming through who can pass a ball then I'd maybe see some peoples' points, but I don't see any of our players that can do that.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Chris Killen?

OsloHibs
10-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I would love to see Tony back at ER, I know it would be a completely different era and we haven't got the players we had then- but I want the feel good factor back at ER and he would bring that. And he brings confidence- something that Terry & co has taken away.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:42 PM
But what else would he have them do? They were utter garbage and couldn't string two passes together for whole games at a time.

If we had a good spine in place for Mowbray to build a team around and also some excellent youngsters coming through who can pass a ball then I'd maybe see some peoples' points, but I don't see any of our players that can do that. nobody knew we had such quality players the first time. GOC. Was already I think. He brought the best out in that lot. He brought in sports psychologists and the sports performance camaras to catch players work rate etc. I just think he's less of a gamble than what else is available and he strives to have the game played the way we want to see it. He won't come though probably or even be asked.

Cameron1875
10-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Absolute nonsense. First pre season game I went to we had two trialists in the squad. They turned out to be Murphy and Boozy.

You reckon you could have found those two gems yeah? If so then send in your CV to hibs!

Nando™
10-06-2014, 06:47 PM
nobody knew we had such quality players the first time. GOC. Was already I think. He brought the best out in that lot. He brought in sports psychologists and the sports performance camaras to catch players work rate etc. I just think he's less of a gamble than what else is available and he strives to have the game played the way we want to see it. He won't come though probably or even be asked.
Then why couldn't he do that at Celtic?

Would definately be less of a gamble though I admit.

Absolute nonsense. First pre season game I went to we had two trialists in the squad. They turned out to be Murphy and Boozy.

You reckon you could have found those two gems yeah? If so then send in your CV to hibs!

Not quite sure which part you are referring to as nonsense, as your reply doesn't answer anything I've said.

CmoantheHibs
10-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I believe that we should always have a manager who has a management philosophy similar to Mowbrays.It means when one leaves then there is very little upheaval with regards to playing staff.A new management team comes in and already has players capable of playing his style.East Mains should be used to train every player at the club in the same way.Also it means even if we are losing we arent forced to watch eye bleeding football.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Then why couldn't he do that at Celtic?

Would definately be less of a gamble though I admit.

Not quite sure which part you are referring to as nonsense, as your reply doesn't answer anything I've said.

Their a club with entirely different expectations. Don't get me wrong I think he should have done a better job there but he wasn't a big enough name to get a real chance there. He didn't get much time at all really. Middleboro if anything is his real downfall.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I believe that we should always have a manager who has a management philosophy similar to Mowbrays.It means when one leaves then there is very little upheaval with regards to playing staff.A new management team comes in and already has players capable of playing his style.East Mains should be used to train every player at the club in the same way.Also it means even if we are losing we arent forced to watch eye bleeding football. think the same. To be fair I reckon JC, yogi and mixu tried to do that but for different reasons couldn't. It shouldn't be something we should ever give up on though IMO.

Stevie Reid
10-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Wow.

ScottB
10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Mowbray did very well, but inherited a group of players we can only dream of. His own buys ranged from inspired, to some of the worst players we've ever had.

Saying that, honestly I don't think he achieved enough with us. Had he ever managed to sign a halfway capable keeper and tighten up our defence, we should have got more than the solitary 3rd place he led us to. His fairly patchy record since he left us, including a continually suspect defence leads me to believe him returning would be an utter disaster. Mainly because people would expect the free flowing, entertaining football to come straight back, and when it doesn't (and it won;t, at least not as good, because no way can we afford to go out and buy a whole squad of players as good as those he had back then) the knives would be out straight away.

Let's bring in someone unburdened by the views from green tinted spectacles. The club needs to move forwards.

overdrive
10-06-2014, 07:15 PM
What about Mark Venus? He did ok as caretaker at Boro (I think) :dunno:

weonlywon6-2
10-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I spome with one of the medical team at hibs when mowbray started and they said his ideas and belief were excellent and had not seen this before at hibs.
Dunno if it would work again
I think we wil see a new face never to have been connected to hibs put in charge

lEXO
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Tony Mowbray had us playing football that was wonderful to watch, so did JC for a long spell. Give me that kind of failure and entertainment over the hoofball and gash I have watched for the last 7 years. Neither would have got us into the state we are in now. Some right gash being posted about Mowbray.......

Ronniekirk
10-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Just sayin!

Leeann has made it clear we are t looking back the way She is only interested in the future so judging by her actions since she came in you can forget about him returning Where is he now anyway ?

allezsauzee
10-06-2014, 09:49 PM
If we could get Tony Mowbray back I think the feel good factor would come to Easter Road straight away. He was fortunate to inherit some talented youngsters but he added some quality signings and had them playing some fantastic football. While i obviously want to see Hibs winning games and hopefully the odd trophy, I want to enjoy watching Hibs again. Aside from the bits of magic Superleigh produced when he was here, we've had a lot of garbage to watch over the past 4 years.

Dr Jimmy
10-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Mental post, just mental. For your own sake, please close the lid of your laptop or switch off your iPad. Truly mental post.

H13BYM
10-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Mowbray and venus got the best out of all the players under them, let alone all the youngsters goc, deeks, broony etc no fluke that he had 100% out of 100% of the squad week in week out, its all about how you treat people and the way you guide and coach them, plenty youngsters that would benefit from him. could do a lot worse than bringing him back, safe bet for me!

chrisski33
10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
No to mowbray!

Just saying!!!!

rcarter1
10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Mowbray and venus got the best out of all the players under them, let alone all the youngsters goc, deeks, broony etc no fluke that he had 100% out of 100% of the squad week in week out, its all about how you treat people and the way you guide and coach them, plenty youngsters that would benefit from him. could do a lot worse than bringing him back, safe bet for me!

Hmm. Seem to remember we were great one week, and fishy the next. Mowbray has a philosophy of football that is based on confidence, expression, passing and attacking. Great to watch. But no doubt: this won't work if the players aren't up to it. I think if Mowbray had replaced Fenlon we would have seen some very high scoring games, but Im not convinced we would have won many of them. Id take him back, as I love watching his teams, and his contact network must be really solid.

The Leith Dutch
10-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I believe that we should always have a manager who has a management philosophy similar to Mowbrays.It means when one leaves then there is very little upheaval with regards to playing staff.A new management team comes in and already has players capable of playing his style.East Mains should be used to train every player at the club in the same way.Also it means even if we are losing we arent forced to watch eye bleeding football.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2014, 10:28 PM
What is Mark Venus up to these days?

gorgie greens
10-06-2014, 10:40 PM
What is Mark Venus up to these days?

from what i can see Gary hes not involved with any club the now,tried to get a couple of Manager jobs after leaving Boro but no luck so far

ScottB
10-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Except when we were getting invariably kicked off the park by the likes of St Mirren or Falkirk.

He was good, but the green tinted specs are out in force! I'd say Collins side, until he lost the dressing room, was more consistent and far less likely to be bullied than Mowbray's was.

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 10:44 PM
i personally never thought mowbray was suited for celtic. I think his main trait is signing unheard of gems for free and developing the youth. But at celtic he is given a massive amount of money and they demand some big names. So in that respect i think he kind of lost his way as he wasnt used to it

he still recruited some good unheard of players in:

nguemo
ki seung young
danny fox
fortune

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2014, 10:45 PM
from what i can see Gary hes not involved with any club the now,tried to get a couple of Manager jobs after leaving Boro but no luck so far

I wonder if he'd throw his hat in the ring? :dunno: I seem to remember something about his kids being at school in Edinburgh, although they could be finished at school now?

Unseen work
10-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Except when we were getting invariably kicked off the park by the likes of St Mirren or Falkirk.

He was good, but the green tinted specs are out in force! I'd say Collins side, until he lost the dressing room, was more consistent and far less likely to be bullied than Mowbray's was.

imo thats because collins had the players when they were maturing more. Mowbrays team was far better than collins imo. Collins signings were awful and id be suprised if he made any good signings

gorgie greens
10-06-2014, 10:51 PM
I wonder if he'd throw his hat in the ring? :dunno: I seem to remember something about his kids being at school in Edinburgh, although they could be finished at school now?

might no be a bad shout,cant be any worse than the last few we have had the good fortune to watch on a weekly basis,
my gut feeling and its big enough is that it could be someone that our new CEO has worked with before.

#2 Double Tap
10-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Bring him back just for the song!

sadtom
10-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Would love to see TM back. He was the prime mover in us getting the training centre, would like to see what he could do with it.
He improved the team immediately (even almost made tam mcmanus look like a fitba player ffs!) and they got better as he brought is own guys in.
Would like to see him establish that playing style from top to bottom. Have Nid in as one of the coaches and train him up to take over in a few years time, then see if TM wanted to be DoF, organising the scouting and the 'philosophy' at the club.
For all the flaws (mainly goalkeeping) and being a bit 'soft' it was a joy to watch.
We have continued to have good youth teams, but few are making the step up. Perhaps making the young guys believe in themselves and buy into his footballing philosophy is TM's forte.

Nutmegged
11-06-2014, 01:01 AM

Disagree with this completely, he did fail at Celtic but that Celtic team he took over was on its arse, they died a.death at the end of the previous Season and when Strachan chucked it the team needed major work, he made some stupid signings like Fortunč but they did start the Season well, I remember his first Old Firm game when they got robbed of 3 penalties and Craig Thompson had to come out and apologise the next day. He was naive at times at Celtic but the players chucked it under him too...people might say thats nonsense but any Celtic team who loses 4-0 to St Mirren has players with ulterior motives IMO

s2hart
11-06-2014, 01:41 AM
As much as I loved the way Mowbray had us playing, I certainly would support him if he did come back, I thought he was struggling in the last few months with us maybe it was all the speculation linking him with various jobs that took its toll on him, he has been away a long time now and gained plenty of experience at a higher level, so it would be interesting if he did come back, plus anything is better than the eye bleeding dross we have had to put up with over the past few seasons.

I seem to remember Mowbray making an erse of himself over that scroat McGeady's red card for diving at ER, I lost a little respect of him then.

FWIW I would like to see a foreign manager come in and change the whole ethos in the club, surely there are some Scandinavian managers kicking about!?

The quicker we get all this sorted the better, we basically need a whole new team in for preseason.

Barman Stanton
11-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Wow, probably the most stupid post I have ever read on here and that is saying something. Have a wee look at the players he brought in.

Not In The Know
11-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Would love to see TM back. He was the prime mover in us getting the training centre, would like to see what he could do with it.
He improved the team immediately (even almost made tam mcmanus look like a fitba player ffs!) and they got better as he brought is own guys in.
Would like to see him establish that playing style from top to bottom. Have Nid in as one of the coaches and train him up to take over in a few years time, then see if TM wanted to be DoF, organising the scouting and the 'philosophy' at the club.
For all the flaws (mainly goalkeeping) and being a bit 'soft' it was a joy to watch.
We have continued to have good youth teams, but few are making the step up. Perhaps making the young guys believe in themselves and buy into his footballing philosophy is TM's forte.

I can't understand how anyone would not want Mowbray back.
If folk were not happy with his spell at ER what do they realistically want from a Hibs manager?
Granted he never won anything. He only had us finish with the two highest concurrent league placings since Eddie Turnball. And arguable Collins won the CIS with Mowbrays team.

Mcleish did well but with a huge budget (laursen, Latapy, sauzee etc). When his budget was cut we were mid table and getting worse.

Quite frankly it was the best we've had it in 30 odd years. But nah Mowbray is not good enough. FFS.

Hibby Kay-Yay
11-06-2014, 07:43 AM
We have no recognised goalkeepers at the club, can't see that changing with Mowbray :wink:

J-C
11-06-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that Mark Venus was the one all the players gave plaudits too, when he and Mowbray split, Mowbray was never the same manager, sometimes 2 people just work well together, a bit like O'Neil and Robertson, never really worked for Martin when Robertson left.