PDA

View Full Version : Goc

Aldo
09-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Whilst looking at the link on the consortium thread I noticed this article. If true what a total waster.

Home
News Scottish News Hibernian FC
Former £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor moves into a £65-a-week council house
Jun 09, 2014 03:00 By Gary Cruden 2 Comments
EX-SCOTLAND star once lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari but he is no longer living the high life after his career fizzled out.

17 Shares
Tweet
+1
Email
O'Connor arrives at the council house in North Berwick, right
FORMER £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor has moved into a council house with his family.

It is thought they pay £65 a week in rent for the terraced property.

The family’s modest lifestyle is a far cry from O’Connor’s heyday when he earned a fortune, lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari.

The move to the Law View estate in North Berwick, East Lothian, is the latest twist in the rise and fall of the former Scotland and Hibs star.

In a career marred by drug scandals, court appearances, debt problems and professional humiliation, O’Connor has gone from hero to zero.

At one time, he was courted by top clubs. But he last played for third-tier Morton. And they released
him after club chirman Douglas Rae branded him lazy and out of shape.

O’Connor, from Edinburgh, began his career with Hibs.

The player, who has 16 caps for Scotland, landed a big-money transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 but did not settle in Russia.

The first major controversy of his career came when he went AWOL before Scotland’s Euro qualifier with Ukraine.

A year later, he got a megabucks move to the English Premier League with Birmingham City.

O'Connor once starred for Lokomotiv Moscow, Scotland and Hibs
Since then, his story has been one of unfulfilled potential.

In June 2012, O’Connor was convicted of possessing cocaine.

He was sentenced to community work but landed back in court when he repeatedly failed to turn up.

Shortly afterwards, the player was cleared of a £93,000 insurance fraud after he crashed his Ferrari Spider.

The same year, after moving to Siberia to play, O’Connor suffered a £350,000 loss when he sold his £1.3million five-bedroom house in the exclusive Archerfield estate in East Lothian for £950,000.

Last year, it was revealed that O’Connor owed large debts to creditors and that he had put a trust deed in place in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.

And earlier this year, he was taken to court by Bank of Scotland who wanted to seize his previous home in Longniddry.

East Lothian Council’s decision to allocate a house on the newly built Law View estate to O’Connor, wife Lisa and their three children, has angered some neighbours.

Irene Galloway, of Law Residents Group, said: “The area is a lovely, modern council estate. But there’s a lot of anger here that people from outside North Berwick have moved into the home.

“Local folk who didn’t get them aren’t happy.”

3pm
09-06-2014, 06:39 AM
He's a fanny.

Waxy
09-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Lesson to be learned.An example of how not to do it.

iwasthere1972
09-06-2014, 07:08 AM
What a waste. Could have and should have gone on to have a great career after leaving us. Hated his time in Russia by all accounts and after his time there it has been downhill all the way. Feel sorry for his wife and kids but not GOC. Had it all but threw it away.

£65 a week for a family home on a new estate. Not bad.

calumhibee1
09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
What a waste. Could have and should have gone on to have a great career after leaving us. Hated his time in Russia by all accounts and after his time there it has been downhill all the way. Feel sorry for his wife and kids but not GOC. Had it all but threw it away.

£65 a week for a family home on a new estate. Not bad.

That was the main thing I thought when I read the story. :greengrin Deserves everything that comes his way, fud.

Ronniekirk
09-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Whilst looking at the link on the consortium thread I noticed this article. If true what a total waster.

Home
Former £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor moves into a £65-a-week council house
EX-SCOTLAND star once lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari but he is no longer living the high life after his career fizzled out.

17 Shares
Tweet
+1
Email
FORMER £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor has moved into a council house with his family.

The family’s modest lifestyle is a far cry from O’Connor’s heyday when he earned a fortune, lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari.

The move to the Law View estate in North Berwick, East Lothian, is the latest twist in the rise and fall of the former Scotland and Hibs star.

In a career marred by drug scandals, court appearances, debt problems and professional humiliation, O’Connor has gone from hero to zero.

At one time, he was courted by top clubs. But he last played for third-tier Morton. And they released

The player, who has 16 caps for Scotland, landed a big-money transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 but did not settle in Russia.

The first major controversy of his career came when he went AWOL before Scotland’s Euro qualifier with Ukraine.

A year later, he got a megabucks move to the English Premier League with Birmingham City.

He was sentenced to community work but landed back in court when he repeatedly failed to turn up.

Shortly afterwards, the player was cleared of a £93,000 insurance fraud after he crashed his Ferrari Spider.

The same year, after moving to Siberia to play, O’Connor suffered a £350,000 loss when he sold his £1.3million five-bedroom house in the exclusive Archerfield estate in East Lothian for £950,000.

Last year, it was revealed that O’Connor owed large debts to creditors and that he had put a trust deed in place in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.

And earlier this year, he was taken to court by Bank of Scotland who wanted to seize his previous home in Longniddry.

East Lothian Council’s decision to allocate a house on the newly built Law View estate to O’Connor, wife Lisa and their three children, has angered some neighbours.

Irene Galloway, of Law Residents Group, said: “The area is a lovely, modern council estate. But there’s a lot of anger here that people from outside North Berwick have moved into the home.

Opening trust deeds for the kids to avoid Bankruptcy ,wonder if Rod is his accountant .and giving fatherly advice still .

Tragic waste of talent but a reminder that some people don't cope with fame and money too early in life and squander it and it doesn't bring happiness Hope for his family's sake and his own that he puts all that behind him now .

cabbageandribs1875
09-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Opening trust deeds for the kids to avoid Bankruptcy ,wonder if Rod is his accountant .and giving fatherly advice still .

Tragic waste of talent but a reminder that some people don't cope with fame and money too early in life and squander it and it doesn't bring happiness Hope for his family's sake and his own that he puts all that behind him now .

sorry, but what has a trust deed got to do with his kids ? the trust deed has nothing to do with his kids

hibbysam
09-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Very young man earning absurd amounts of money! He went about with the wrong group of people from a very very young age, so when fame and fortune came along he wasn't gonna get rid of them, which meant joining them in what they done! Feel sorry for Lisa and the kids but also Garry himself! It can't be easy to turn around to people that have been friends all your life and tell them to beat it because your now famous! Hopefully he can build his life back up from now! Garry O'connor was a fantastic player for the hibs and made us about £2m all in!

Turkish Green
09-06-2014, 07:42 AM
He is only 31 but has snorted his talent away. Now fat and unfit. Him and Riordan share a brain cell between them.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but he should never have returned to Hibs after being released by Barnsley. I still remember his shambolic performance (among many) in the 1-5 final. Running the ball along the half-way line, from one touchline to the other, then blootering it to nowhere - then subbed.

I hope he overcomes his demons.

easty
09-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Irene Galloway sounds like one of those right pain in the arse neighbours. "Oooh we dinnae like outsiders round these here parts".

What's GOC going to do with himself now? Obviously it looks like he'll not be making any money out of playing football anymore. My missus work has a branch surgery in North Berwick, they had been looking for a new receptionist, but they got someone a week or so ago, so he's missed out there. There was a sign up in the chippy last week saying they needed staff. One of the boys working there is a Hibby too, maybe he can get work there?

Who's got a job for GOC? :)

Scottie
09-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Lived the dream we all dreamed and couldn'y handle it.
Hows he going to afford the £65 a week for his hoose though. :rolleyes: Social :agree:

easty
09-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Very young man earning absurd amounts of money! He went about with the wrong group of people from a very very young age, so when fame and fortune came along he wasn't gonna get rid of them, which meant joining them in what they done! Feel sorry for Lisa and the kids but also Garry himself! It can't be easy to turn around to people that have been friends all your life and tell them to beat it because your now famous! Hopefully he can build his life back up from now! Garry O'connor was a fantastic player for the hibs and made us about £2m all in!

I've nae sympathy for him at all. He made his own choices just like everyone else does. If he chose to get into all the **** he did then that's his fault not his mates.

Ronniekirk
09-06-2014, 07:47 AM
sorry, but what has a trust deed got to do with his kids ? the trust deed has nothing to do with his kids
Re read article my mistake it was to avoid bankruptcy

WHUHibs
09-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Irene Galloway sounds like one of those right pain in the arse neighbours. "Oooh we dinnae like outsiders round these here parts".

What's GOC going to do with himself now? Obviously it looks like he'll not be making any money out of playing football anymore. My missus work has a branch surgery in North Berwick, they had been looking for a new receptionist, but they got someone a week or so ago, so he's missed out there. There was a sign up in the chippy last week saying they needed staff. One of the boys working there is a Hibby too, maybe he can get work there?

All the restaurants in nb have signs up for staff! The old QD is being turned into a Martin Whisarts gastro Pub! The lobster shack at the harbour are always short of people,,plenty of jobs here!

The new estate had a waiting list longer than a queue at Harrods opening day sale so don't know how he managed to get one. The young families in NB can't afford a house and they were cheap so I actually get her point!

Terry lives in a North Berwick as well so perhaps they can job hunt together?

hibs4thecup1988
09-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Such a shame to read stories like this. Can call him a fanny idiot arse everything we want but he was a hero all those years ago. Gutting to read such a story. Shame he never made it bigger than he did to be honest.

WHUHibs
09-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Such a shame to read stories like this. Can call him a fanny idiot arse everything we want but he was a hero all those years ago. Gutting to read such a story. Shame he never made it bigger than he did to be honest.

He did make it bigger by about 3 stone!

I also remember him as a15 year old knocking back the beer outside spar in port seton in his hibs training gear.,.hoped then he would grow up!

However, he was also very accommodating when living in longniddry when my laddie then aged 11 knocked on his door and asked him to come for a kick about . He put his baby to bed and went out to play street football so for me I'm very sad for a guy who was talented and had a good heart.

hibbysam
09-06-2014, 08:07 AM
I've nae sympathy for him at all. He made his own choices just like everyone else does. If he chose to get into all the **** he did then that's his fault not his mates.

Of course it is. But if your brought up with boys who turn out to be wasters, and you make a name for yourself earning megabucks, you can't ignore your childhood, they're all still your friends, and you still go about with them! Yes it's Garry's choice what happens in his life but if your in your early 20s earning hundreds of thousands a year and probably getting these things pushed towards you, it would probably be hard to walk away from!

StarMan10
09-06-2014, 08:08 AM
I know it's typical of the media of today but I can't help but feel this 'story' is disgraceful. Everyone knows the troubles he's had and this publication of someone's home and family space just feels like an unnecessary attack.

SaulGoodman
Okay the guy ****ed up badly, but stop following him ffs.

hibbysam

I also remember him as a15 year old knocking back the beer outside spar in port seton in his hibs training gear.,.hoped then he would grow up!

However, he was also very accommodating when living in longniddry when my laddie then aged 11 knocked on his door and asked him to come for a kick about . He put his baby to bed and went out to play street football so for me I'm very sad for a guy who was talented and had a good heart.

That's it for me, he's not a bad laddie, never ever has been... Just made a few wrong turns and got himself in a mess!

WHUHibs
09-06-2014, 08:24 AM
That's it for me, he's not a bad laddie, never ever has been... Just made a few wrong turns and got himself in a mess!

:top marks

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Surely North Berwick isn't that bad a place to land?

Unseen work
09-06-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm more scared about where does he go from here

chinaman
09-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Great post. Big gary has obviously made a mess of his life and no one need tell him , he knows. I'll remember some great times he gave us hibees along with deek .the nightmare of the last few years makes me wish for real passionate players who wear the top with pride. Just like gary o'connor

Unseen work
09-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Crazy to think this was only 2 years ago http://youtu.be/QgT8WEGtkvA

lord bunberry
09-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I know it's typical of the media of today but I can't help but feel this 'story' is disgraceful. Everyone knows the troubles he's had and this publication of someone's home and family space just feels like an unnecessary attack.

It's true, I bet if you were to go down to were he is living the people down there are not feeling down on there luck or feeling like they're living in poverty like that article suggests.
It's typical tabloid pish, we should leave the guy to rebuild his life.
He will always be remembered fondly by me, especially for his goal in the game against them when Brebner was sent off.
Good luck big man.

TheFamous1875
09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Jesus Christ, the amount of people putting the boot in here. How many of us are arbiters of what is good and proper, like? Have we never made mistakes? The guy had 'everything'? He certainly didn't have the support network, the education or the guidance to handle 'everything'. He's a normal lad fae Port Seton, who would never in his dreams (like most of us) have been a millionaire.

How many of us know what that feels like? How many of us know that we wouldn't have ****ed it up big time for ourselves? I don't think many of us do, so I despair at posters putting the boot in and jumping upon the moral high ground regarding a situation that they don't understand.

From all accounts, he's a very nice laddie with a good heart who's took a few wrong turns and acted the arse. That's about it. He's exactly like most people, like most of us, but without the gift of anonymity.

If we want to blame something (as is the culture on these boards and beyond) we can blame the culture. A footballing career does not prepare you for those troubles that success brings, and maybe that's where Hibs as his employers from an early age fell short. Maybe Hibs weren't prepared to deal with the pressures of money and fame on their players. They get blamed for everything else (with good cause, usually), so why no', eh!

Garry O'Connor is a Hibs hero. A local lad and a fan who lived the dream we all dream. He's had his ups 'n' downs, but he's not a bad person. And none of you are of any authority to judge anyone. He's a product of his environment, as many of us are with our quibbling and finger-pointing.

Nae one's 'evil' or 'bad' or any of that *****. We're all just trying to get by and do the best for ourselves and our families and our friends. We need to stop feeding into this culture of blaming and shaming people. It's disgusting. All you're doing is propagating and feeding the same culture and the same world that has led O'Connor to where he is now. Targeting the weak is bad enough, but it's especially bad when the target of choice is one of our own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cabbageandribs1875
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Jesus Christ, the amount of people putting the boot in here. How many of us are arbiters of what is good and proper, like? Have we never made mistakes? The guy had 'everything'? He certainly didn't have the support network, the education or the guidance to handle 'everything'. He's a normal lad fae Port Seton, who would never in his dreams (like most of us) have been a millionaire.

How many of us know what that feels like? How many of us know that we wouldn't have ****ed it up big time for ourselves? I don't think many of us do, so I despair at posters putting the boot in and jumping upon the moral high ground regarding a situation that they don't understand.

From all accounts, he's a very nice laddie with a good heart who's took a few wrong turns and acted the arse. That's about it. He's exactly like most people, like most of us, but without the gift of anonymity.

If we want to blame something (as is the culture on these boards and beyond) we can blame the culture. A footballing career does not prepare you for those troubles that success brings, and maybe that's where Hibs as his employers from an early age fell short. Maybe Hibs weren't prepared to deal with the pressures of money and fame on their players. They get blamed for everything else (with good cause, usually), so why no', eh!

Garry O'Connor is a Hibs hero. A local lad and a fan who lived the dream we all dream. He's had his ups 'n' downs, but he's not a bad person. And none of you are of any authority to judge anyone. He's a product of his environment, as many of us are with our quibbling and finger-pointing.

Nae one's 'evil' or 'bad' or any of that *****. We're all just trying to get by and do the best for ourselves and our families and our friends. We need to stop feeding into this culture of blaming and shaming people. It's disgusting. All you're doing is propagating and feeding the same culture and the same world that has led O'Connor to where he is now. Targeting the weak is bad enough, but it's especially bad when the target of choice is one of our own.

well said, all of it

easty
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Crazy to think this was only 2 years ago http://youtu.be/QgT8WEGtkvA

:agree:

That goal against Killie was excellent.

Is it just me, or some of the goals in there, you watch and realise how bad we were last season. The first goal is something I haven't seen at Hibs for ages. Players actually running with the ball well, with a purpose, and other players moving into space and actually wanting it!

calumhibee1
09-06-2014, 08:52 AM

He acted the arse on that many occassions that it's perfectly acceptable for people not to feel sorry for him IMO.

easty
09-06-2014, 08:57 AM

You think he's the first kid from an estate, with questionable friends, to make it as a footballer? Not in a million years. He is where he is now, because of himself. And if anyone on this board wants to call him a twat, an idiot, a waster, etc. then they have every right, it doesn't mean we wouldnt still say we loved watching some of the things he did for Hibs. Nor does it mean we're happy to see this is how he ended up.

zlatan
09-06-2014, 08:59 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/855000/images/_859894_league150.jpg

southfieldhibby
09-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Whilst I don't feel sorry for Garry, it's pretty pathetic the obvious glee coming from some on here at his current situation.I can't think of anything he's publically done offend the Hibs masses, except be a daftie in his private life.

Given the goals he scored for our club I hope he manages to keep earning some money to provide for his kids.

easty
09-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Whilst I don't feel sorry for Garry, it's pretty pathetic the obvious glee coming from some on here at his current situation.I can't think of anything he's publically done offend the Hibs masses, except be a daftie in his private life.

Given the goals he scored for our club I hope he manages to keep earning some money to provide for his kids.

Where?

marinello59
09-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Anybody else here thinking I could have made some of the same mistakes as GOC as a young man if put in to the same situation? Maybe not but I'll never know. None of us are perfect though.

jacomo
09-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Good post. I feel sorry for him.

He's only 31 though, so although the fitba career may be over he's got a chance to rebuild his life and a career in something else.

Fergos
09-06-2014, 09:16 AM

couldnt agree more, the lad has issues and demons to address, all very helpful on here putting more boot in. I've met him on a couple of occasions....not a nicer lad you'll find...

He needs support not a kicking....the he blew thousands argument isn't really relevant, disease doesn't discriminate between rich and poor....

GGTTH

Geo_1875
09-06-2014, 09:17 AM
I blame Petrie for paying Hibs youngsters far too much money. No wonder they go off the rails so often.

Turkish Green
09-06-2014, 09:17 AM

There is no glee from me concerning his current (self inflicted) plight. As I said, it is a wasted talent for a 31 year old. Supporters should remember the player that left to go to Lokomotiv in 2006 and not the one that came back from Barnsley 5 year later.

Beefster
09-06-2014, 09:21 AM

She does indeed. However, if I had been sitting on East Lothian Council's housing list for years, I'd be asking some questions.

Beefster
09-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Anybody else here thinking I could have made some of the same mistakes as GOC as a young man if put in to the same situation? Maybe not but I'll never know. None of us are perfect though.

I made some of the same mistakes in my mid to late teens. I wasn't still making them in my late twenties / early thirties though. He's had plenty of wake up calls and opportunities to extract himself from situations but hasn't really heeded or taken them.

Personally, without knowing his exact circumstances, I would imagine that his agent(s) and those around him (family/friends etc) have to take some responsibility too.

Turkish Green
09-06-2014, 09:28 AM
There but the grace of God...

The culture in the dressing room has been wrong for some time. Didn't JC try to change it and look what happened to him.

My grandfather used to tell me stories about Willie Hamilton and how he always played on the wing nearest the dressing room as he was allegedly so drunk he couldn't make it to the other side of the pitch. Drunk or not, he was still magic on the ball.

easty
09-06-2014, 09:33 AM
She does indeed. However, if I had been sitting on East Lothian Council's housing list for years, I'd be asking some questions.

Aye, I've nae argument with that. I don't know how these things work but I'd be surprised if he's been given this house ahead of other people "because he's Garry O'Connor".

Congruence
09-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, I concur. I took my Daughter along to a Hibs Kids day, and Gary was more than happy to chat, sign ball etc. And the following says so much about the guy, that not many on here will really know:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+Gaz+gives+pounds+200,000+cheque+to+Hib s+kids%3B+THE+JINKY+CUP...-a0143371486

couldnt agree more, the lad has issues and demons to address, all very helpful on here putting more boot in. I've met him on a couple of occasions....not a nicer lad you'll find...

He needs support not a kicking....the he blew thousands argument isn't really relevant, disease doesn't discriminate between rich and poor....

GGTTH

calder45a
09-06-2014, 09:42 AM
He's a fanny.

Talking about fannys.
Been told he's been living a double life.
Uncanny.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/02/disabled-pensioner-88-in-court-for-punching-council-official-who-banned-him-from-seeing-prostitute-4716832/

(http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/02/disabled-pensioner-88-in-court-for-punching-council-official-who-banned-him-from-seeing-prostitute-4716832/)

jdships
09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Lived the dream we all dreamed and couldn'y handle it.
Hows he going to afford the £65 a week for his hoose though. :rolleyes: Social :agree:

:thumbsup:
Sadly he is not the first ex Hibbee to be in that position and don't suppose he will be the last

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Home

17 Shares
Tweet
+1
Email

Love the quote from the professional bigot at the end - otherwise I find it hard to understand how you can blow as much money as Gary did. Some people are better off poor.

SaulGoodman
09-06-2014, 10:07 AM

I work for them, end up working in some new build that a junkie/waster has trashed and wonder why they get priority when there's honest families desperate for a house.

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2014, 10:13 AM
He had it all and threw it all away. He isn't the first and he won't be the last. I hope returning to the bosom of his family helps him to find peace with himself and maybe he'll be happier as Joe Normal.

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2014, 10:20 AM
He is only 31 but has snorted his talent away. Now fat and unfit. Him and Riordan share a brain cell between them.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but he should never have returned to Hibs after being released by Barnsley. I still remember his shambolic performance (among many) in the 1-5 final. Running the ball along the half-way line, from one touchline to the other, then blootering it to nowhere - then subbed.

No need. :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 10:24 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/855000/images/_859894_league150.jpg

:faf:

GGTTH

What disease does he have? As for support, that is best provided by reality orientation - namely, you have ****ed up, now what are you going to do about it? Drugs are a choice, and you live with the consequences.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I work for them, end up working in some new build that a junkie/waster has trashed and wonder why they get priority when there's honest families desperate for a house.

I think the issue raised by the bigot on the residents association was that he wasn't local. Presumably if he was then the things you are talking about wouldn't matter to her.

jst1875
09-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Talking about fannys.
Been told he's been living a double life.
Uncanny.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/02/disabled-pensioner-88-in-court-for-punching-council-official-who-banned-him-from-seeing-prostitute-4716832/

(http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/02/disabled-pensioner-88-in-court-for-punching-council-official-who-banned-him-from-seeing-prostitute-4716832/)

i had to take a double look at that pic ........... scary resemblence :greengrin

The_Horde
09-06-2014, 10:42 AM
The saddest thing about it is he's only 31. He could still get himself fit and playing regularly on a decent wage but I don't think he's got the heart for it anymore.

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
;4053937']The saddest thing about it is he's only 31. He could still get himself fit and playing regularly on a decent wage but I don't think he's got the heart for it anymore.

At 31 its not unthinkable to maybe even start a 2nd career. Maybe an honest job might do him the world of good.

SanFranHibs
09-06-2014, 10:48 AM

If all you can bring to this thread is an instance of'one of many shambolic performances and him and Riordan share a brain cell it would be better if you refrain.

Good luck to him although I certainly can't help him overcome his addictions. However, I am not going to be throwing epithet's that others on this thread have such as twat, arse, fanny, loser and waster at someone that loves Hibs, gave us some great moments and donated his transfer fee to the Hibs youth program.

Stantons Angel
09-06-2014, 10:50 AM
i have no sympathy for the choices he made in his life. But i cant forget the footballer in him and how he loved Hibs!

A couple of seasons ago you stood at Easter Road and sang your hearts out with "hes one of our own" and yes he is!

He was given every consideration by Hibs on two occasions but blew it again. There is something in him that cant help but make the wrong decisions.

Its his family i feel sorry for. Living the life of luxury like they did then down with a bang to council living must be a bit of a shock and humiliation. those kids still have to go to school in the area and their lives will be blighted by bullies chanting about their dad and his wrong doings!

To me Garry has always been a big stupid laddie, with a smile that makes you just shake your head at him. Sometimes that laddie has to grow up and take responsibility for not just himself but for his family! No matter what he has or hasnt done they will still love their dad.

Two seasons ago he helped keep Hibs in the Premier league with his goals and sheer presence. The writing was on the wall for all to see for both Garry and HIbs.

The next season it was the goals of Griffiths that kept us in that league again, and only now when we have been relegated are the board interested in doing something to halt that slide?

Both Garry and Riordan have lived the dream of playing for their own club, if only we had them at their peak playing together for Hibs i wonder if they would make the same life choices now?

Unfortunately we cant go back and change things and the money they made will not last for ever!

Personally i wish Garry all the best and thank him for the memories he has left behind.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
He was given every consideration by Hibs on two occasions but blew it again. There is something in him that cant help but make the wrong decisions.

A kind and considerate post. I highlighted this bit because, although I agree he made the wrong decisions, I don't agree with the suggestions that he was powerless to stop himself.

The something inside him is Gary O'Connor. If he can see that, then he has more chance of changing his life , than if he gives up control of it to "demons" or "illness".

It was him that made the mistakes, and him that can put them right.

SaulGoodman
09-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I think the issue raised by the bigot on the residents association was that he wasn't local. Presumably if he was then the things you are talking about wouldn't matter to her.

Oh no I agree, what she said is just bizarre

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Oh no I agree, what she said is just bizarre

I wonder if Gary is the only non-local resident, and how many other people who aren't from North Berwick ( or more importantly, this woman's circle of friends), are on the estate.

Quite worrying, because Archerfield can't be more than 2 miles from NB. God forbid if somebody from further afield, like Dunbar or Poland, was to move in.

Beefster
09-06-2014, 11:15 AM
I wonder if Gary is the only non-local resident, and how many other people who aren't from North Berwick ( or more importantly, this woman's circle of friends), are on the estate.

Quite worrying, because Archerfield can't be more than 2 miles from NB. God forbid if somebody from further afield, like Dunbar or Poland, was to move in.

Without knowing the context to her quote, it's probably a bit much calling the woman a bigot. She may know several families from North Berwick who have been on the housing list for the area for a long time. As a result, she may be a bit upset about perceived manipulating of the housing system.

Or she may have been bounced into a quote by a journalist and not thought her comment through properly.

The Harp
09-06-2014, 11:17 AM
I don't think there's any malice in Garry, just a big daft laddie that had his head turned by fame, big money and the bright lights of stardom. I certainly won't forget the good things he did for Hibs in his younger and fitter days.
Hopefully, he can defeat his demons and get his life back on track. For his own sake and that of his family, I wish him all the luck in the world.

GordonR
09-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I can picture him now, living in his terraced council house in North Berwick. With the wrecked Ferrari up on bricks parked in the front garden. :duck:

number 27
09-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I am sure that in a case like this the council will have been careful to follow proper procedures. I worked in housing for a while and it was almost impossible to give anyone a house without someone else complaining about the system being abused. Some people just have to moan about everything.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Without knowing the context to her quote, it's probably a bit much calling the woman a bigot. She may know several families from North Berwick who have been on the housing list for the area for a long time. As a result, she may be a bit upset about perceived manipulating of the housing system.

Or she may have been bounced into a quote by a journalist and not thought her comment through properly.

I'm inclined to see it this way. At the end of the day, her quote reads like the words of a bigot, and tie in with other things I've heard people say about housing over the years.

His family must have had enough points. It's a poor reflection on the DR that they think their readers want to know about such petty, over the fence, gossip.

.Sean.
09-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how bitter and twisted many on here are regards to O'Connor, one not long ago regarded by the majority of us as 'one of our own'.

His lifestyle choices were entirely his and he's only himself to blame and he'll be the first to admit this, but does that give warrant to folk that have probably never even spent time in his company the right to stick the knife in?

Fwiw I've met him countless times and he's never been anything but an absolute gent. He's well known round my parts and I can honestly say the worst I've ever hear anybody that's met him say about the man is that he's daft, easily led and needs to grow up.

He's probably one of my favourite ever players, scored barrowloads for us and made the club cash. He doesn't owe us anything and a wee bit of gratitude towards the guy wouldn't go amiss.

Talk about kicking a man when he's down. 'Hibs Class' and all that pish, eh? Some of you need to have a look at yourselves.

Everyone on here must be straight-laced and law-abiding saints I take it?

SaulGoodman
09-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Funnily enough I ticked North Berwick on my housing application form, I just hope I don't get a house their because I wouldn't want to upset the locals :bitchy:

.Sean.
09-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Absolutely.

Mr White
09-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how bitter and twisted many on here are regards to O'Connor, one not long ago regarded by the majority of us as 'one of our own'.

His lifestyle choices were entirely his and he's only himself to blame and he'll be the first to admit this, but does that give warrant to folk that have probably never even spent time in his company the right to stick the knife in?

Fwiw I've met him countless times and he's never been anything but an absolute gent. He's well known round my parts and I can honestly say the worst I've ever hear anybody that's met him say about the man is that he's daft, easily led and needs to grow up.

He's probably one of my favourite ever players, scored barrowloads for us and made the club cash. He doesn't owe us anything and a wee bit of gratitude towards the guy wouldn't go amiss.

Talk about kicking a man when he's down. 'Hibs Class' and all that pish, eh? Some of you need to have a look at yourselves.

Well said.

Betty Boop
09-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Great post Sean :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Funnily enough I ticked North Berwick on my housing application form, I just hope I don't get a house their because I wouldn't want to upset the locals :bitchy:

I like North Berwick, the things this woman has been quoted as saying are no different to what I've heard here in Muirhouse. Apparently 75% of the new housing stock here has been allocated to
Poles. How anybody can know if that's true is questionable.

easty
09-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Who's bitter and twisted? The boy lived the dream, had the opportunity that loads of us have dreamed of, and then pissed it up the wall. It appears to me that the only place he truly flourished was here, at Hibs, so save me the "wee bit of gratitude" stuff. Without Hibs what would have became of GOC? He owes us gratitude for giving him a platform, as much as its the other way around.

Since when are you not allowed to have an opinion on someone if you havent spent time in thier company? I watched GOC do great things in a Hibs strip, and I wish he still had that in him to come back and do it again for us in the Championship. But he doesnt have it in him, he's a waster, and you dont have to have spent time in his company to see, or say, that.

Peevemor
09-06-2014, 11:48 AM

What disease does he have? As for support, that is best provided by reality orientation - namely, you have ****ed up, now what are you going to do about it? Drugs are a choice, and you live with the consequences.

I'm sure you, if anyone, are aware of the various studies that show that a tendency toward addictive behaviour can be genetic. Maybe the money he had access to made it impossible to switch off certain traits of his make-up, irrespective of the counselling/advice he may have received?

matty_f
09-06-2014, 11:51 AM

:tee hee:

(sorry, meant to say "good post", which it is, just couldn't resist a bit of immaturity:greengrin)

Hank Schrader
09-06-2014, 11:51 AM

A level headed common sense response, something of a rarity on Hibs.net these days. Great post Sean. :aok:

SaulGoodman
09-06-2014, 12:05 PM
A level headed common sense response, something of a rarity on Hibs.net these days. Great post Sean. :aok:

Shouldn't you be hounding O'connor?

Being in the DEA and all? :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm sure you, if anyone, are aware of the various studies that show that a tendency toward addictive behaviour can be genetic. Maybe the money he had access to made it impossible to switch off certain traits of his make-up, irrespective of the counselling/advice he may have received?

Sorry, I am sceptical about those studies, as there are others that argue the opposite. I tend to side with those that say addiction is a matter if choice - such as Thomas Szasz, although that isn't particularly fashionable.

If we disempower addicts by saying they have no control, then we take away the solution to their problem. Most studies show that it is the individuals desire to overcome their addiction that determines how successful they are. Just a side note to the main story - which seems to be whether Gary deserves pity.

I think anybody that finds themselves in his situation, having had so much, deserves sympathy. Calling him names isn't nice and expressing disappointment is weird.

Really, this is nobody else's business, and it's a typical DR article playing to the worst aspects of people's character. Kicking a man when he's down.

At the end of the day though, it wasn't cocaine that got him in this mess, it was himself. He could do without the mob poking at him, and if people really care they should leave him to get on with it.

alexhibs
Mentally it must be tough thinking what you had and what youve got now and what the future holds. Good luck

Fergos

Errr thanks.

starting a new concept....weakness as a disease. Going to sell it to social workers, do goodies and the church.....like the old medicine shows I'll be the crook with the hook.....

Jeezus saves penalties but Stanton scores with the rebound. Here to fool you.

OK - and thanks.

GGTTH

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Errr thanks.

starting a new concept....weakness as a disease. Going to sell it to social workers, do goodies and the church.....like the old medicine shows I'll be the crook with the hook.....

Jeezus saves penalties but Stanton scores with the rebound. Here to fool you.

OK - and thanks.

GGTTH

Yes.

hihohibby
09-06-2014, 12:09 PM

:agree: I second this!

RIP Bestie
09-06-2014, 12:22 PM
He acted the arse on that many occassions that it's perfectly acceptable for people not to feel sorry for him IMO.
I'm sure that Garry O would not be looking for any sympathy from you.
he has made some mistakes with his life he, along with his wife and kids are now paying for those mistakes. There is no need kt feel sorry for him but equally there is no need to put the boot into him.
There but for the grace of God goes either one of us.

calumhibee1
09-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm sure that Garry O would not be looking for any sympathy from you.
he has made some mistakes with his life he, along with his wife and kids are now paying for those mistakes. There is no need kt feel sorry for him but equally there is no need to put the boot into him.
There but for the grace of God goes either one of us.

If he wasn't an ex Hibs player then I'm sure you wouldn't be sticking up for him. Take that out the equation and he deserves to be where he is now.

MontrealHibs
09-06-2014, 12:27 PM
:agree: I second this!

Here here!

JDHibs
09-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Id still have him playing infront of Collins.

weonlywon6-2
09-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I met gary on a couple of occasions and he was really decent,sorry to see things go wrong for him however he is the man in charge of his own destiny so he has only himself to blame

erin go bragh
09-06-2014, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=TheFamous1875;4053813]Jesus Christ, the amount of people putting the boot in here. How many of us are arbiters of what is good and proper, like? Have we never made mistakes? The guy had 'everything'? He certainly didn't have the support network, the education or the guidance to handle 'everything'. He's a normal lad fae Port Seton, who would never in his dreams (like most of us) have been a millionaire.

This 100% . TF 1875 well said .

Ggtth

Mark79
09-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Must have some real issues if you can blooter the money he has earned and end up with hee haw.

I wonder what the future holds for him. Dont think any further career in football will now happen and cant see him coaching.

#2 Double Tap
09-06-2014, 12:53 PM
GOC - should be scoring goals for the Hibees!

Bronson
09-06-2014, 12:58 PM
My oh my, how the mighty have fallen.

Very little sympathy from me. He had a brilliant life, earning more in a week than some of our fans earn in a year and he decides to hoover the lot up his nose.

It's a shame in the sense that he was a great player who could've gone on to better things, and by all accounts seemed like a lovely guy and a hibs man through and through, but to waste that fortune on drugs is a disgrace. That's not a one-of bad decision, that's a lifestyle, a lifestyle he chose and must live with the consequences of.

This isn't a case of being aloft my moral highhorse, it's just my own personal opinion that I struggle to sympathise with someone who is so lucky to have that talent and that life and wastes the lot on drugs of all things.

KeithTheHibby
09-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I wonder if those on here calling him a twat, idiot, fud etc would be brave enough to do so to his face? Nah didn't think so.
The guy has made lots of mistakes, that is a given however I am quite sure he is more aware of that than anyone else.

The way people are sticking the boot in is staggering. We really do like to give our own a hard time.

easty
09-06-2014, 01:17 PM
I wonder if those on here calling him a twat, idiot, fud etc would be brave enough to do so to his face? Nah didn't think so.

Great point. Well made.

Peevemor
09-06-2014, 01:21 PM
GOC - should be scoring goals for the Hibees!

RIP Bestie
09-06-2014, 01:23 PM
If he wasn't an ex Hibs player then I'm sure you wouldn't be sticking up for him. Take that out the equation and he deserves to be where he is now.
I'm not "sticking up for him". Merely pointing out that he has made massive misjudgements in his life that he and his family are now paying for. I have never seen him looking for sympathy from anyone for this and I don't expect anyone to give him any, nor do I think it's right that people should be putting the boot into him.

calumhibee1
09-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm not "sticking up for him". Merely pointing out that he has made massive misjudgements in his life that he and his family are now paying for. I have never seen him looking for sympathy from anyone for this and I don't expect anyone to give him any, nor do I think it's right that people should be putting the boot into him.

Fair enough mate. :aok:

CraigHibee
09-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Garry could have gone to the very top, he left us, got a good wage in moscow and no doubt a good wage at birmingham. i was as shocked as anyone when he got outed on that tv show about the cocaine.

I do feel sorry for Garry that he has landed to earth with a bump but, everyone has the chance to control their destiny, it's just a shame that the choices Garry has made (wheather his own or ill advised choices) got him to here.

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Take note, all the "George Street crew", or what's left of them.

PS: The drugs don't work. Don't look for any sympathy from me.

PPS: If he had played for the Yaks, he would be getting massacred on here.

Like he's getting massacred over there. Can't help but notice a similarity between some posts on both sites.

hibbysam
09-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Who's bitter and twisted? The boy lived the dream, had the opportunity that loads of us have dreamed of, and then pissed it up the wall. It appears to me that the only place he truly flourished was here, at Hibs, so save me the "wee bit of gratitude" stuff. Without Hibs what would have became of GOC? He owes us gratitude for giving him a platform, as much as its the other way around.

Since when are you not allowed to have an opinion on someone if you havent spent time in thier company? I watched GOC do great things in a Hibs strip, and I wish he still had that in him to come back and do it again for us in the Championship. But he doesnt have it in him, he's a waster, and you dont have to have spent time in his company to see, or say, that.

So your saying Garry should be looking to hibs and showing some gratitude for giving him the platform? Try nearly £2m in transfer fees, his signing on fee towards our youth development when he could have pocketed it, his numerous goals, most of which fired us into Europe, cup semi finals, and some of which fired us to safety in the league and a Scottish cup final while playing with a bunch of nobodies!

emerald green
09-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Like he's getting massacred over there. Can't help but notice a similarity between some posts on both sites.

Fair point.

winnipeg jets
09-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Before you start calling people pains in the arse and bigots you may want to meet the person in question. Irene is no bigot but is an extremely nice person who is born and bred in North Berwick, if she did say as quoted all she is doing is pointing out that youngsters who come from North Berwick are being overlooked for housing in favour of " families with problems", and no I'm not waiting for a house in North Berwick.

easty
09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Before you start calling people pains in the arse and bigots you may want to meet the person in question. Irene is no bigot but is an extremely nice person who is born and bred in North Berwick, if she did say as quoted all she is doing is pointing out that youngsters who come from North Berwick are being overlooked for housing in favour of " families with problems", and no I'm not waiting for a house in North Berwick.

Well you quoted my post, so I expect you can see for yourself that I didn't call her a bigot. :rolleyes:

Secondly, given that the part of the newspaper article she is mentioned in -

I have to say, I stand by my initial thought. She's a pain in the arse.

By all means, judge me on what I've said, I'm a pain in the arse at the best of times, and I wouldnt want anyone to defend me for it either.

jacomo
09-06-2014, 03:27 PM

The huge amounts of money that have flown into football over the past two decades have definitely caused a disconnect between fans and players. In the old days, I guess players would buy a flash car and fancier clothes etc, but still living a similar life to the fans. Then players like G'OC get contracts worth 'life-changing' amounts of money, and fans don't feel a connection to them anymore.

When they fall, people can't wait to stick the boot in.

easty
09-06-2014, 03:29 PM
So your saying Garry should be looking to hibs and showing some gratitude for giving him the platform? Try nearly £2m in transfer fees, his signing on fee towards our youth development when he could have pocketed it, his numerous goals, most of which fired us into Europe, cup semi finals, and some of which fired us to safety in the league and a Scottish cup final while playing with a bunch of nobodies!

I said he owes us a debt of gratitude, as much as it works the other way around. If you're going to bite at something I say, at least read past the comma and finish the whole sentance.

Nakedmanoncrack
09-06-2014, 03:41 PM

hibbysam
09-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I said he owes us a debt of gratitude, as much as it works the other way around. If you're going to bite at something I say, at least read past the comma and finish the whole sentance.

He doesn't owe hibs nothing though? I mentioned everything he's already given us and to me that's more than enough for a former player! The least we can do is thank him for what he's given us, performance and monetary wise and then stand by one of our own through troubled times without the need to boot him in the balls when he's on the ground!

easty
09-06-2014, 03:50 PM
He doesn't owe hibs nothing though? I mentioned everything he's already given us and to me that's more than enough for a former player! The least we can do is thank him for what he's given us, performance and monetary wise and then stand by one of our own through troubled times without the need to boot him in the balls when he's on the ground!

Well that's your opinion. My opinion is that we brought him through as a youngster and gave him a chance as a pro footballer, then later on in his career, when things weren't going very well for him, gave him a second chance. So he earned the club the transfer fee, and earned his wages at Hibs and elsewhere because of Hibs. I don't know GOC at all, but I bet even he would say he owes Hibs a debt of gratitude.

You seem to be falling into that .net trap where you assume that calling a player/former player out for something they've done, means that you hate them and want to see them nailed up to a cross so you can go and point and laugh at them smugly.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2014, 03:53 PM

If the quotes aren't what she said, that is a serious matter. She should point out other people's reaction to them as evidence of the damage it has done to her reputation.

I'm sorry if the woman as been misrepresented. Unfortunately the article does make her sound like a resident of Royston Vasey.

.Sean.
09-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Garry could have gone to the very top, he left us, got a good wage in moscow and no doubt a good wage at birmingham. i was as shocked as anyone when he got outed on that tv show about the cocaine.

I do feel sorry for Garry that he has landed to earth with a bump but, everyone has the chance to control their destiny, it's just a shame that the choices Garry has made (wheather his own or ill advised choices) got him to here.
Where have you been living the last 10 years?!

Albanian Hibs
09-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Would love to be living in North Berwick. One of the nicest places in East Scotland IMO. There is no way he is only pay £65 to live in a terraced council house though?? I live in a flat in a not so nice area in South Edinburgh and our rent is nearly double that!

hibbeedavid
09-06-2014, 05:11 PM
I like North Berwick, the things this woman has been quoted as saying are no different to what I've heard here in Muirhouse. Apparently 75% of the new housing stock here has been allocated to
Poles. How anybody can know if that's true is questionable.

I've heard countless times that a very high % is being allocated to Eastern Europeans but it's p*sh, according to latest figures there are more Spaniards in Edinburgh than Poles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
09-06-2014, 05:16 PM

The woman isn't actually giving her own opinion. All she's doing is telling us that local people aren't happy. Calling her a bigot is way over the top and the bringing the Polish into it is a bit naughty. :slipper:

If I was from North Berwick with a young family then I'd be a bit hacked off if others who have nothing to do with the area jumped the queue for whatever reason. I assume he's never lived there before and has no family there. I don't think theres anything wrong with wanting to stay close to your family and maintain your community.

hibbysam
09-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Well that's your opinion. My opinion is that we brought him through as a youngster and gave him a chance as a pro footballer, then later on in his career, when things weren't going very well for him, gave him a second chance. So he earned the club the transfer fee, and earned his wages at Hibs and elsewhere because of Hibs. I don't know GOC at all, but I bet even he would say he owes Hibs a debt of gratitude.

You seem to be falling into that .net trap where you assume that calling a player/former player out for something they've done, means that you hate them and want to see them nailed up to a cross so you can go and point and laugh at them smugly.

And didn't he pay us back for the wages/chances given by scoring goals and handing over HIS signing on fee to OUR youth development kitty? He didn't have to do that... He did to show he appreciated what we had given him.

easty
09-06-2014, 05:22 PM
And didn't he pay us back for the wages/chances given by scoring goals and handing over HIS signing on fee to OUR youth development kitty? He didn't have to do that... He did to show he appreciated what we had given him.

Ok. You've convinced me, I change my opinion to match yours. While we are at it, what way should I vote in September?

Smartie
09-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Hibs, our fans and GO'C have had a good relationship albeit with rough times and I think we owe him a bit of respect and sympathy here.

We gave him a platform and got him started off - for that he should be eternally grateful to us. He repaid that with a bucketful of goals, a prominent role in a cracking team, a sizeable transfer fee and the money he committed back to the club via his signing-on fee. Boy could he do with that money now, and for all we may bitch and moan about our season ticket money being squandered on failed management teams and failed journeyman players, he has indirectly put much more in via this gesture so should feel aggrieved himself.

His second spell with us wasn't great but he still managed a decent goal return and played well in our run to the final against the backdrop of his well-publicised personal problems. And all in a honking team too. He let himself down badly with his conduct after THAT cup-final and I think that may be tainting some people's thinking of him.

I have to say that I fear for him and what the future may hold. Where does he go? What is he going to do and what does he offer other than his footballing skills?

To me he's only been harmful to himself and his biggest crime is being a big, daft laddie and probably not being more sensible in providing for his kids. I have no idea how I might have handled the fame, money, glamour etc that came his way so feel in no way fit to judge him whatsoever.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck for the future. He's going to need it imo.

NAE NOOKIE
09-06-2014, 06:04 PM
The guy has made lots of mistakes, that is a given however I am quite sure he is more aware of that than anyone else.

The way people are sticking the boot in is staggering. We really do like to give our own a hard time.

Never a very persuasive argument mate. Just coz someone can give you a pasting doesn't make what you said wrong.

Having said that I do feel for Gary somewhat. He is a long way from being the first sportsman or celebrity to waste large amounts of money. That is why I have always thought that the ruling bodies of football Europe wide should get together and force pro footballers to put a percentage of their weekly income into some sort of pension fund which starts paying at age 35 or 40 by which time hopefully the daft boyness will have stopped and the leeches will have found a new victim. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Netherlands do something like that.

If Gary can find a true friend in the game who can get him fit enough to play another two years and do his coaching badges he could still make a living from the game .......... but I would guess it needs to sooner rather than later.

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Hibs, our fans and GO'C have had a good relationship albeit with rough times and I think we owe him a bit of respect and sympathy here.

We gave him a platform and got him started off - for that he should be eternally grateful to us. He repaid that with a bucketful of goals, a prominent role in a cracking team, a sizeable transfer fee and the money he committed back to the club via his signing-on fee. Boy could he do with that money now, and for all we may bitch and moan about our season ticket money being squandered on failed management teams and failed journeyman players, he has indirectly put much more in via this gesture so should feel aggrieved himself.

His second spell with us wasn't great but he still managed a decent goal return and played well in our run to the final against the backdrop of his well-publicised personal problems. And all in a honking team too. He let himself down badly with his conduct after THAT cup-final and I think that may be tainting some people's thinking of him.

I have to say that I fear for him and what the future may hold. Where does he go? What is he going to do and what does he offer other than his footballing skills?

To me he's only been harmful to himself and his biggest crime is being a big, daft laddie and probably not being more sensible in providing for his kids. I have no idea how I might have handled the fame, money, glamour etc that came his way so feel in no way fit to judge him whatsoever.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck for the future. He's going to need it imo.

I agree with most of your post, but the highlighted bit i don't agree with one little bit. He's an idiot for taking drugs, and also an idiot for attempting to defraud the insurance company over his car.

I suppose smacking elvis was ok, but he knew what he was doing with the drugs and the fraud attempt, and thats not the work of a big daft laddie.

KeithTheHibby
09-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Great point. Well made.

Eh??

Pretty Boy
09-06-2014, 08:15 PM
My 2 pennies for what it's worth.

I like Garry, always have, he's daft as a brush, a bit of an idiot and he's made real mistakes.

I really hope he is getting himself sorted out as he has to put his family first. He is probably finished as a player but there are opportunities in football for most ex players if they want it enough.

On the flip side I can't feel sorry for him. Hd made the lifestyle choices that got him where he is. Being from a 'poor' background is no excuse, many football players come from ordinary backgrounds and manage to live sensible lives, some with far more money than Garry had. He's had chance after chance, Hibs went out above and beyond to help him last time and for a short while it seemed to work then he started playing up again, by the end I was glad to see him go. No matter what background he came from he must have known hoovering gram after gram of ching up his nose wasn't a good idea as a pro athlete.

If he still has addicion issues then he needs to sort that asap, if he's clean then he needs to find out what he can do with the rest of his life.

I wish him well, I feel sorry for those close to him affected hy his isses, we all make mistakes.

Albion Hibs
09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
IF true then in many ways it is a terrible shame and I would not wish that on anyone. Regardless of what he has or has not done he was a good player for hibs, scored a lot of goals and put more than a few quid in the club bank account. We could all do a lot worse than remembering him for what he did for hibs, rather than what he may have done in his own personal life.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I would take gaz back in a heart beat... if he got another crack at hibs then I'm sure he would pull the finger out

CRAZYHIBBY
09-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Id take deek back as well. .. an unfit pairing of riordan and oconnor would score more goals than any of the other dud strikers we have had in recent times

4 Front Teeth
09-06-2014, 10:32 PM
How can anyone feel sorry for him? It would take him 2 months of dieting and hard training, he wouldn't even need to practice football. He would march into most Scottish clubs and get a pay as you play contract for next season and half way through the season he would get a decent offer of a contract. He just can't be bothered. Simple but very sad and frustrating.

Jones28
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Well, he was thrown a lifeline at Morton to try and get some sort of career back on the go. Even as a first division striker he would've commanded a decent enough wage.

What a waste. Moving to Russia was where he went wrong IMO. He should've signed another contract with Hibs and after another season or so he would've gotten a big money move down south.

Him and Riordan have both had chances to get things back on track and both of them have blown them because of pure laziness.

Hate to say it but I wouldn't want the club to have anything to do with them anymore ie training facilities etc

1950's hibbie
10-06-2014, 02:52 AM
I know I will get the LTYF, but if he was a Jambo or Yam would he get the same expressions of sympathy or support. To me he is a young man who was given all the opportunities that all us old farts playing 22 a side in the West Meadows would have given half our lives to play for the team of our dreams for nothing. He had that and more and has frittered it all away, sorry people but no sympathy or tears from me. You made your bed now lie in it.

Hibercelona
10-06-2014, 05:08 AM
Money can change people and not always for the better.

GOCs case is a stark reminder that money can't buy you genuine happiness. It's easy to stick the boot in and have a good go when you've never had a pot to piss in your whole life, as you delude yourself into believing that your life would somehow be perfect if you just had more money. Which it wouldn't.

GOC had too much money to know what to do with and thats a dangerous trap that anybody is capable of falling into. It results in stupid levels of spending. Even on things that are damaging such as street drugs and high levels of alcohol.

It then becomes addictive. Once the money has ran out, he can't stop the high levels of spending. He has to keep the buzz going, so he continues to spend money that he doesn't have. Which can only result in massive levels of debt.

I don't have sympathy for GOC, but I wouldn't be so quick to stick the boot in either. He has fallen into a trap that anybody is capable of falling into.

And before someone says "i wouldn't have fallen into that trap". Get rich first, then tell me that you wouldn't.

oregonhibby
10-06-2014, 05:44 AM
I agree it is a sad case. Whilst he is responsible for his own life perhaps his agent or adviser could have provided better information. Advising him to appoint a proper financial adviser would be a start BUT people also need to take that advice.

Also be nice to people on the way up because you will also meet them on the way down cones into play.

I met Garry at a few supporter functions and he was always a nice big lad. As my maw would say now you have made your bed you have to lay in it.

10-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Such a terrible waste of talent, could have had a really successfull football career I he had just stayed away from all the nonsense. Got too rich too young and clearly he is not right enough to have grown wiser as he aged. Sad waste but all because of HIS choices so don't have much sympathy I'm afraid. HE threw it all away.