PDA

View Full Version : for what reason is petrie staying

gillie
07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Other than to keep his nose firmly in the trough?
Is he planing to take as much as he can from the club before he has to go and what exactly is his new passive role?

lord bunberry
07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
It may not be a popular view but I think Petrie has got the best interests of hibs at heart all he needs is that shove that we can provide
We want Perrie out

Brightside
07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Is he planing to take as much as he can from the club before he has to go and what exactly is his new passive role?

This has been covered 100 times. He's there because the owner wants him there. He's there as he owns 10%, and he;s there for his role with SFA. The only way to get him out totally is a change in ownership. That won't happen so lets gets behind the new CEO.

Hibby Gav
07-06-2014, 08:19 PM
This has been covered 100 times. He's there because the owner wants him there. He's there as he owns 10%, and he;s there for his role with SFA. The only way to get him out totally is a change in ownership. That won't happen so lets gets behind the new CEO.
Yep this !
ggtth

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 08:30 PM

What money will he be taking from the club?

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 08:31 PM

:agree:

jdships
07-06-2014, 08:32 PM

:agree::thumbsup:

gillie
07-06-2014, 08:34 PM
What money will he be taking from the club?

Does he not take money from the club?

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 08:37 PM
My understanding is that as a non executive director, he won't be.

gillie
07-06-2014, 08:40 PM
My understanding is that as a non executive director, he won't be.

I won't pretend to know any different but I don't imagine he's hanging about for his love of hibs

Brightside
07-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I won't pretend to know any different but I don't imagine he's hanging about for his love of hibs

He doesn't take a wage from the club. Believe it or not he does his job for the glory! :wink:

Cropley10
07-06-2014, 08:53 PM
He's either the conduit to the owner, or he's taking a back seat as non-Exec Chairman to oversee far-reaching changes.

He's there because he wants a super-cushy number doing SFA at the SFA.

banchoryhibs
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I spoke with Tom Framer after last year's AGM and thanked him for saving the club from Mercer and for providing the financial stability and infrastructure that SHOULD place us challenging at the pinnacle of Scottish football. This was not a sycophantic happy clappy sooking up to Tom conversation but a genuine thank you to the man who has ensured that our club will be there for future generations.

Tom pointed at Petrie and said that he was the man who deserves the credit.

Take from that conversation what you will but it's my belief that Tom Farmer will not endorse Petrie's sacking, nor will he believe that Petrie is wholly culpable for the dire position we find ourselves in.

For this reason I'm delighted with the turnout at today's protest and I'm also partially, not wholly, re-assured by Leeann's comments as recorded by Pretty Boy. I believe that it will only be by maintaining pressure on Petrie and the Board that he will do the honourable thing and resign.

This may take time but must be achieved so that trust can be re-built and the Hibernian family can once again pull together to regain our place in the Premiership - and this time challenge for honours.

For what it's worth Petrie should take Butcher with him as he closes the door behind him.

Onceinawhile
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
He doesn't take a wage from the club. Believe it or not he does his job for the glory! :wink:

I think that was proven incorrect on a thread recently. It may be the case now LD is involved, but he was taking a salary.

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I think that was proven incorrect on a thread recently. It may be the case now LD is involved, but he was taking a salary.

He was, then for a while when he was non-exec he wasn't (100% sure) , he then became executive again and it's possible that he was salaried but we're not sure and since LD's appointment he has once again become a non-exec.

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 09:38 PM

Indeed. Even if he hadn't of been taking a wage out of the clubs accounts directly, it would hardly make a difference. Farmer would budget for his wages and less would go towards the club anyway.

There was talk a while back about Petrie leaving in the summer, this was before we even got relegated. Not sure what the deal is now though. His 10% stake in the club is hardly going to grow in value as long as he's the one pulling the strings.

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Indeed. Even if he hadn't of been taking a wage out of the clubs accounts directly, it would hardly make a difference. Farmer would budget for his wages and less would go towards the club anyway.

There was talk a while back about Petrie leaving in the summer, this was before we even got relegated. Not sure what the deal is now though. His 10% stake in the club is hardly going to grow in value as long as he's the one pulling the strings.

But he's not. Are you stupid (genuine question)?

gillie
07-06-2014, 09:41 PM
He was, then for a while when he was non-exec he wasn't (100% sure) , he then became executive again and it's possible that he was salaried but we're not sure and since LD's appointment he has once again become a non-exec.

Usually when when a simple transparent answer is available you get it,so I'm guessing here, he must be creaming cash from the club

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Usually when when a simple transparent answer is available you get it,so I'm guessing here, he must be creaming cash from the club

Oh FFS! :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
But he's not. Are you stupid (genuine question)?

An idiot is a person who just takes another persons word for it and never dares to question otherwise.

I see no reason to believe anything you or the Hibs board say. They've not exactly proven to be a real honest bunch.

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
An idiot is a person who just takes another persons word for it and never dares to question otherwise.

I see no reason to believe anything you or the Hibs board say. They've not exactly proven to be a real honest bunch.

OK, give me some examples of their dishonesty. I'm looking forward to this.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Nope.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 09:48 PM

:faf: Priceless

Ringothedog
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Obviously he is "creaming" thousands every year.
Deary deary me, some people spout absolute rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

whiskyhibby
07-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Yam alert............

gillie
07-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Obviously he is "creaming" thousands every year.
Deary deary me, some people spout absolute rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tell me why you think he is staying and working for nowt

whiskyhibby
07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Does he not take money from the club?

No he takes no wages, but you would know that if you had been following discussions on this board and the Hibs website over the last18 months

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
OK, give me some examples of their dishonesty. I'm looking forward to this.

Perhaps all the big talk they give us about positive changes at the end of every disastrous season, while still failing to make any real positive changes.

Sure, they bring in many new faces. But they control the fingers above their heads in the exact same way, season after season.

I have no reason to believe that Dempster will make any real difference as long as she's 2nd to Petrie. She's just like a new player or a new manager. Another new face that won't have the power to make any real positive changes.

We've seen it all time and time again. Why should anyone think that this time will be any different, when it's still the same men at the top?

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Perhaps all the big talk they give us about positive changes at the end of every disastrous season, while still failing to make any real positive changes.

Sure, they bring in many new faces. But they control the fingers above their heads in the exact same way, season after season.

I have no reason to believe that Dempster will make any real difference as long as she's 2nd to Petrie. She's just like a new player or a new manager. Another new face that won't have the power to make any real positive changes.

We've seen it all time and time again. Why should anyone think that this time will be any different, when it's still the same men at the top?

So you reckon she is lying then?

whiskyhibby
07-06-2014, 09:55 PM

I suggest that if you are concerned about people creaming money off a football club then you should focus your gaze on the Pink bus shelter

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 09:56 PM

He is at Hibs as STF's 'right-hand man' and to protect his investment. He also looks after STF's other businesses. You believe what you want though...

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Nope.

:faf: Priceless

Simply believing or doing what you're told, without ever daring to question. That's for the hard of thinking.

Smart people ask questions and dare to think outside the box. Thats how they get smart.

Jonnyboy
Simply believing or doing what you're told, without ever daring to question. That's for the hard of thinking.

Smart people ask questions and dare to think outside the box. Thats how they get smart.

Keep trying and you might get there one day :aok:

Peevemor

Sorry. Failed. I asked for specific examples of dishonesty. I'm still waiting.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2014, 09:59 PM

:faf: Smart people don't use "outside the box" it's for people trying to make you believe they are smart. You're not very smart at all.

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 10:00 PM
So you reckon she is lying then?

I think at this moment in time, she thinks she'll have the power to do what she needs to do, only to find out later on that this isn't the case.

Just like the managers that we bring in. They come here with the idea that they'll be able to build a competitive team, only to find that they're dealing with Mr Impossible.

Peevemor

I'm not sure you've grasped the concept of thinking outside the box.

gillie
He is at Hibs as STF's 'right-hand man' and to protect his investment. He also looks after STF's other businesses. You believe what you want though...

So he works for tom farmer,i believe that just don't believe he works for nowt

Hibercelona
07-06-2014, 10:02 PM
:faf: Smart people don't use "outside the box" it's for people trying to make you believe they are smart. You're not very smart at all.

You think good ideas come from people who aren't prepared to think outside the norm?

Intelligence goes beyond text books. But clearly you aren't smart enough to understand that.

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I think at this moment in time, she thinks she'll have the power to do what she needs to do, only to find out later on that this isn't the case.

Just like the managers that we bring in. They come here with the idea that they'll be able to build a competitive team, only to find that they're dealing with Mr Impossible.

Leeann Dempster stated categorically that she was not Boyles' s puppet and she'll not be RP's either. When asked about how her interview for the Hibs job went, she said she felt it was more her interviewing them. Doesn't sound like someone who is going to be manipulated. She also said that she has her own career/reputation to consider.

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
You think good ideas come from people who aren't prepared to think outside the norm?

Intelligence goes beyond text books. But clearly you aren't smart enough to understand that.

Oi! Don't bother replying to anyone else. I'm still waiting for your proof of the board's dishonesty.

Ringothedog
07-06-2014, 10:05 PM

Because he is a director, he owns 10% of the club and finally because the owner STF wants him there

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Stop digging, you talk about intelligence and smartness yet you demonstrate on a regular basis that you don't possess either attribute.

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Because he is a director, he owns 10% of the club and finally because the owner STF wants him there

He actually owns 10% in the holding company that owns Hibs but I agree with the rest :greengrin

Peevemor
07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Stop digging, you talk about intelligence and smartness yet you demonstrate on a regular basis that you don't possess either attribute.

However, he is very good at posting accusations that he can't substantiate. It must be a bright person thing.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 10:10 PM

I give up. Are you ever wrong in your world?

macca70
07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
He actually owns 10% in the holding company that owns Hibs but I agree with the rest :greengrin

And the only thing he is creating at our club is negativity, whether he is actively involved or not.

Only reason he can be hanging about is Stubbornness, absolutely no other reason for him to stick around.

He is a grey cloud hanging over the club that we could absolutely do without whilst Leann try's to build the club for the Championship.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 10:13 PM
And the only thing he is creating at our club is negativity, whether he is actively involved or not.

Only reason he can be hanging about is Stubbornness, absolutely no other reason for him to stick around.

He is a grey cloud hanging over the club that we could absolutely do without whilst Leann try's to build the club for the Championship.

It's said he is staying in order to secure a gig at the SFA although I've never read that anywhere but on here!

marinello59
I give up. Are you ever wrong in your world?

How many times have I said that to Mrs M59? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
How many times have I said that to Mrs M59? :greengrin

:greengrin

gillie
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM

So he gets paid by Tom farmer to protect his investment and while protecting his investment gets the club relegated

macca70
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
It's said he is staying in order to secure a gig at the SFA although I've never read that anywhere but on here!

Well this needs to be 1 of the questions put to Leann. We need complete transparency on why he is insisting on maintaining his official link to the club. For every day he stays, the protests/animosity is only going to turn nastier and hinder Leann taking us forward.

For whatever role he has/wants at SFA, is it a stipulation that you must be affiliated to a club? Not sure why that would have to be the case

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 10:25 PM
So he gets paid by Tom farmer to protect his investment and while protecting his investment gets the club relegated

I think this has been covered before but......HE DOES NOT TAKE A SALARY FROM HIBS. It's in the annual accounts if you wish to check.

whiskyhibby
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM

Doh....like that makes sense.........Petrie owns 10% , why would he do actively do anything to reduce the value of his investment?....."....

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Well this needs to be 1 of the questions put to Leann. We need complete transparency on why he is insisting on maintaining his official link to the club. For every day he stays, the protests/animosity is only going to turn nastier and hinder Leann taking us forward.

For whatever role he has/wants at SFA, is it a stipulation that you must be affiliated to a club? Not sure why that would have to be the case

Apparently so

gillie
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I think this has been covered before but......HE DOES NOT TAKE A SALARY FROM HIBS. It's in the annual accounts if you wish to check.
It's fine your missing my point, i would like Mr petrie to leave,

gillie
07-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Doh....like that makes sense.........Petrie owns 10% , why would he do actively do anything to reduce the value of his investment?....."....
He's not done a great job of protecting farmers investment or the club

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 10:34 PM
It's fine your missing my point, i would like Mr petrie to leave,

I'm not missing the point at all. You said that he was taking money out of the club and have not backed it up.

whiskyhibby
07-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Farmer has not invested in the club in the traditional sense, he saved it from that ****wit Mercer and put it on a sound financial footing, the opposite from clown boy Romanov, things are not great at the moment but they will improve , the opposite from what is likeLy to happen at the Pink bus shelter

gillie
07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm not missing the point at all. You said that he was taking money out of the club and have not backed it up.

Are you saying that petrie spends his time at Hibs for no financial gain either directly or indirectly?

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Are you saying that petrie spends his time at Hibs for no financial gain either directly or indirectly?

I'm out, as they say on Dragons Den. You're at it so carry on believing what you want.

Tyler Durden
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM

The owner wants him there - we need transparency to clarify why STF holda that view, if indeed he does. Why can Dempster not be the conduit, as Petrie has been when acting in a CEO capacity.

His 10% stake is irrelevant - doesn't entitle him to hold a position.

His role in the SFA - naked self interest which has nothing to do with Hibs.

He needs to go.

SkintHibby
08-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Petrie must go!

Pretty Boy
08-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Just a question for a few.

If you had a controlling stake in a business with a turnover in the millions would you be happy to have no voice on the board of that business?

If Rod goes, which as I have said I believe he should, he would be replaced by someone else STF had a close relationship with. That's only common sense.

Caversham Green
08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Just a question for a few.

If you had a controlling stake in a business with a turnover in the millions would you be happy to have no voice on the board of that business?

If Rod goes, which as I have said I believe he should, he would be replaced by someone else STF had a close relationship with. That's only common sense.

I'll add another one:

What specific areas do they think Petrie will retain control of and how will that manifest itself?

Kaiser1962
08-06-2014, 10:30 AM
So he works for tom farmer,i believe that just don't believe he works for nowt

He works for STF and is a co director in a large number of STF companies and I would guess he will be paid accordingly across the group.

Neither have I. But it's been said plenty so................

Farmer has not invested in the club in the traditional sense, he saved it from that ****wit Mercer and put it on a sound financial footing, the opposite from clown boy Romanov, things are not great at the moment but they will improve , the opposite from what is likeLy to happen at the Pink bus shelter

Maybe not but he is still at least £8m down on the deal.

gillie
08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
He works for STF and is a co director in a large number of STF companies and I would guess he will be paid accordingly across the group.

I don't know any figures and farmer may be 8m down on his original investment,but I find it hard to believe that all the years he's been at hibs that he has not recouped more than his original investment through other channels, how did you arrive at the 8m down figure?

greenpaper55
08-06-2014, 10:46 AM
I think sir Tom has done not to bad out of the Hibs deal, have a look at the flats that are built on the land we used to own.

whiskyhibby
08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Completely agree, Farmer has put some of his own money into the club which he will never see again

Caversham Green
08-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't know any figures and farmer may be 8m down on his original investment,but I find it hard to believe that all the years he's been at hibs that he has not recouped more than his original investment through other channels, how did you arrive at the 8m down figure?

The £8m is made up of the issued share capital of the holding company - £3.35m - which was used to buy and rebuild the club plus £5m loan stock/preference shares which was used to build the end stands and was effectively written off on 2009. It's a rule of thumb figure, but I've yet to see any evidence that it's wildly inaccurate. Various other transactions have taken place over the years, but they appear to have cancelled each other out including...

I think sir Tom has done not to bad out of the Hibs deal, have a look at the flats that are built on the land we used to own.

...all the income from the sale of the car park was used for the benefit of the football club. The CGT implications were dealt with by the holding company, so the club was protected there as well.

Peevemor
08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Believe it.

Peevemor
08-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Dearie me! It was land that he owned and sold to the developer (Westpoint IIRC). He could have pocketed the proceeds but instead the whole lot went toward reducing Hibs' debt (which was around £18m prior to the sale). This is well documented. I don't think you should make such insinuations when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Turkish Green
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
RP is staying as he gets a free seat at games, free scran and a drink before at HT and after. Does he drive a club car? He's as tight as a camel's erse in a sandstorm.

Why would he leave, he does the job the STF pays him to do. He will not jump so will need to be pushed.

PETRIE OOT

Turkish Green
08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
i disagree. I think your thinking is wrong.

STF could have done the Spiv thing and made a gazumping out of Hibs when he bought them out of receivership but he didn't and he hasn't. I do not know the figures but I am willing to bet that STF has put far more into the club than he has ever gotten out.

Supporters should be grateful for all STF has done to save the club BUT now is the time that he needs to hand over to a new owner. Don't ask who as I have not an inkling but STF needs to spend the remainder of his life without the sword of Damocles hanging over him.

STF needs to sack the 10 Petries.

PETRIE OOT

Kaiser1962
08-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Do people still believe this nonsense? Seriously?

gillie
08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Having read the post it seems to me petrie is staying on with farmers blessing this is to protect farmers investment in hibs, so I'm guessing anything that petrie has done he has had to run past farmer first, the lack of anything like a real football team on the park has to be down to farmer,is it not the case that tom farmer should now invest heavily in a decent playing squad or move on?

Caversham Green
08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Having read the post it seems to me petrie is staying on with farmers blessing this is to protect farmers investment in hibs, so I'm guessing anything that petrie has done he has had to run past farmer first, the lack of anything like a real football team on the park has to be down to farmer,is it not the case that tom farmer should now invest heavily in a decent playing squad or move on?

The prime duty of every director is to protect the shareholders' investment, but why would that make you guess that it's actually Sir Tom that's really been running the club all these years?

The alternative to investing even more of his money would be to appoint a CEO with a successful track record and progressive attitude and ask the people who want to see a successful team to invest their money. And he's done that.

heretoday
08-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I think Sir Tom would take some persuading to invest heavily in players. He is really not interested in football.

As a mere fan, I approached him three years ago in Princes St Gdns at a jazz event and shook his hand to say thanks for saving us from oblivion.

"Yes," he said, "but when are Hibs going to win something?"

I resisted the urge to reply: "When you dig into your coffers for more cash to buy class players!"

Ringothedog
08-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Do people still believe this nonsense? Seriously?

It would appear so. It's funny how this nonsense only appears from people with low post counts(not that I am insinuating anything of course)

gillie
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
The prime duty of every director is to protect the shareholders' investment, but why would that make you guess that it's actually Sir Tom that's really been running the club all these years?

The alternative to investing even more of his money would be to appoint a CEO with a successful track record and progressive attitude and ask the people who want to see a successful team to invest their money. And he's done that.

I was guessing coz I had no real idea how the business side of the club was run and assumed farmer would have a very close watch on his money,I now understand and agree with your second point tho

lord bunberry
08-06-2014, 02:47 PM
If hibs are valued at £8m or more then stf isnt really down is he? Or am I being to simplistic .

Kaiser1962
08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
If hibs are valued at £8m or more then stf isnt really down is he? Or am I being to simplistic .

If someone offers £8m then he might be ok, probably need a bit more though if you allow for interest that the money may have made even sitting in a bank. Getting someone to pay that for a business that barely breaks even yet is regarded by it's peers as a beacon of fiscal prudence , in a market where almost everybody loses money hand over fist, is the difficult bit.

Turkish Green
08-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Does anyone on here truly believe that STF bought Hibs from the receiver as a good investment. Sheesh!

Now it is well documented that Bunnet McCann went into Celtic with a clear goal of making a profit and then leaving. This he did. But it was not the same for STF.

STF was never a football man. He did what he did because he is a Leith man.

Going way way back before Kwik-Fit, as a lad STF worked for my grandfather. The Farmers were friends of the family. I for one believe that while he may not be interested in ploughing in his wealth to buy success, he does not wish to see Hibs in the state they are currently in.

The appointment of Leeann Dempster was not a Petrie initiative, it was done with the full backing of STF.

Personally, I feel it is the right time for STF to sell and that it is the right thing for him to do. The club is not something that should be handed down as part of the Farmer dynasty.

PETRIE OOT

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2014, 05:16 PM
His boss is still employing him, that's it. If Farmer wanted him gone and thought he was doing a bad job, he'd be gone.

emerald green
08-06-2014, 06:13 PM

:agree: This sums it up pretty accurately I think.

Ronniekirk
08-06-2014, 08:44 PM
His boss is still employing him, that's it. If Farmer wanted him gone and thought he was doing a bad job, he'd be gone.

Well if Sir Tom thinks he has done a good job in the past six years that is concerning .He clearly doesn't go to games that often or he wouldn't think that IMO Just confirms to me the priorities have been else where and not on improving the product on the field But hey I am only a customer ,maybe I am expecting too Mutch from my team :rolleyes: