PDA

View Full Version : Hibs resign from East of Scotland League

Capt Mainwaring
05-06-2014, 10:37 PM
See from Twitter announcement from the East of Scotland League that Hibs have "regretfully" resigned. Part of cost cutting exercise due to relegation.

Shame, as provided a good outlet to play good competitive games for the lads and allowed First Team players a chance play if returning from injury.

Implications of relegation starting to bite.

down-the-slope
05-06-2014, 10:39 PM
See from Twitter announcement from the East of Scotland League that Hibs have "regretfully" resigned. Part of cost cutting exercise due to relegation.

Shame, as provided a good outlet to play good competitive games for the lads and allowed First Team players a chance play if returning from injury.

Implications of relegation starting to bite.
If true a bit of a kick in the nads to coach (James) and players who got promotion

ionahibby
05-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Disappointing we need all the help we can get in developing the young guys.

macd123
05-06-2014, 10:55 PM
How much can it cost?? The games are all relatively nearby.

Capt Mainwaring
05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
How much can it cost?? The games are all relatively nearby.

Might be it's the overall cost of the playing staff on the books that need to be reduced.

KWJ
05-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Very disappointing.

trev the hat
05-06-2014, 11:07 PM
If true a bit of a kick in the nads to coach (James) and players who got promotion

Im sure he's on holiday, I hope he knew this before he left, one of the few to excel at the club in his role.

bob12345
05-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Find this pretty surprising. Seemed like an ideal opportunity to assist the bringing through of young players and providing additional opportunities for fans across the Lothians & Borders to watch the team. With Under 17 players being used regularly, there isn't a huge cost attached, surely? Shame the matches couldn't be moved to 1pm, prior to the first team playing at Easter Road. Seeing a Hibs team win might have kickstarted a pretty good atmosphere!

SMAXXA
05-06-2014, 11:32 PM
James mcd also being let go I believe

andrew70
05-06-2014, 11:38 PM

Hope he doesn't read this whilst on holiday. Will be a big loss to the club IMO

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Posted that I thought this would happen if we went down, very sad to be correct though. Best of luck to James and all the lads involved.

Hibeesmad
05-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Shame that relegation has come to this, youth policy is just as important as building the first team imo

macd123
05-06-2014, 11:57 PM

Not sure how butcher can sleep at night, watching people lose their jobs to pay for his mistakes and fund his ongoing salary.

Ozyhibby
06-06-2014, 12:00 AM
James going nowhere.

Bronson
06-06-2014, 12:05 AM

He tweeted a week or two ago that he was assured his job was not under threat, although he had previously posted he had concerns. Looks safe to me.

Be a massive loss if he goes, done a brilliant job with the u20s and hugely popular with the couple hibs youth lads I know.

Thecat23
06-06-2014, 12:08 AM

I'm hearing he's staying? If it's true and he's allowed to leave though and that utter clown of a management team stay then we are a bigger shambles than I first thought.

staunchhibby
06-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Is there anything else left for the management and board to get rid off.Would hope there salaries are now under review as they have done to others.

Keith_M
06-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Very dissapointing but not unexpected.

SMAXXA
06-06-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm hearing he's staying? If it's true and he's allowed to leave though and that utter clown of a management team stay then we are a bigger shambles than I first thought.

He might well be mate I got told yesterday but it was from one of the players brothers so he could be mistaken. As you say I hope he stays, a good guy and certainly doesn't deserve to be a victim in all this.

Saorsa
06-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Is there anything else left for the management and board to get rid off.Would hope there salaries are now under review as they have done to others.Just another price tae be paid and mair people paying it for the gross mismanagement of this club. Congratulations on winning and promotion in the EOS, by the way, you're binned.

scoopyboy
06-06-2014, 08:05 AM

For once mate, please be wrong.

SMAXXA
06-06-2014, 08:06 AM

I hope so mate and to be fist I have my doubts about this one so we will see what happens I guess.

KdyHby
06-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Any point in continuing with direct debits to the Hibernians?

hibs4thecup1988
06-06-2014, 08:09 AM

He is. I know an under 17 player that has been told he can go. He was told that James would be staying before hand.

Bostonhibby
06-06-2014, 08:12 AM
James is the sort of guy we should be looking to attract to the club FFS, he is already here. Sign of the times if we are not far sighted enough to keep someone on board who has met and probably exceeded expectations! Will walk into a similar or better role elsewhere.

Deansy
06-06-2014, 08:15 AM
So, players let go and participation in the EoS league scrapped as 'Cost-cutting measures' - suppose the next thing to go will be 'Directors', vital to our future as recent glories have shown !

Brightside
06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
James going nowhere. He's the only thing that's right in the coaching set up.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Very disappointing.

greenpaper55
06-06-2014, 08:44 AM
More evidence of the Petrie financial wizardry !

ozzie
06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Somebody better tell him that then as he told me on the day he went on holiday that he had been told his job was safe.

AlbertK86
06-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Put James in charge of 1st team and bin TB

Gerard
06-06-2014, 09:50 AM
If this is confirmed then it is bad news for the development of the young players, given that we won this league this year.:wink:

CMac1988
06-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Give him a bigger role in regards to overall youth development and coaching at the Training Centre. Heck why not go full hog and allow him to take sessions with the first team.

emerald green
06-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Relegation comes with a price to pay. Very disappointing, and what really angers and totally frustrates me is that relegation could, and should, have been fairly easily avoided. A couple of wins. Was that too much to expect or achieve?

Couldn't even defend a two goal lead over a lower league side, at home, in front of nearly 18,000 of our fans.

Golden Bear
06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Relegation comes with a price to pay. Very disappointing, and what really angers and totally frustrates me is that relegation could, and should, have been fairly easily avoided. A couple of wins. Was that too much to expect or achieve?

Couldn't even defend a two goal lead over a lower league side, at home, in front of nearly 18,000 of our fans.

The consequences of that inglorious defeat are far reaching.

It's a pity it didn't seem to bother that gutless bunch of overpaid wasters.

lucky
06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
He tweeted a week or two ago that he was assured his job was not under threat, although he had previously posted he had concerns. Looks safe to me.

Be a massive loss if he goes, done a brilliant job with the u20s and hugely popular with the couple hibs youth lads I know.

Surely the job of the U20 coach is to get players good enough to make an impact in the 1st team. In that respect he has not down a brilliant job. Winning a Mickey Mouse league does not count. The players who have through in the last 5 years have hardly been of the class of the golden generation

Brightside
06-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Surely the job of the U20 coach is to get players good enough to make an impact in the 1st team. In that respect he has not down a brilliant job. Winning a Mickey Mouse league does not count. The players who have through in the last 5 years have hardly been of the class of the golden generation

??? Have you watched any of the u20s this year? beleive me james is highly regarded and if he is forced to leave Hibs he'll only go upwards.

Baader
06-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Very disappointing. This is the impact of relegation. While others move on not having contributed as much as they should the sad reality is some people connected with Hibs end up out of work through no fault of their own. Sad stuff

JimBHibees
06-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Aint that the truth.

jdships
06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Might be it's the overall cost of the playing staff on the books that need to be reduced.

That appears to be the reason
PURE AND SIMPLE COST !!

:agree:

col02
06-06-2014, 12:26 PM

This is my thoughts on the youth team too. The gap between being a successful youth player at Hibs to successful first team player at Hibs seems to be massive at the moment. A failing on the youth coaches part imho in not readying them physically and mentally for the demands of first team football.

The Leith Dutch
06-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Couldn't agree more.
I've obviously been fairly gutted about relegation but this is the start of it tipping over into proper anger.

The fact that Butcher may keep his job - and probably his salary - while cuts like this are being made when he is the prinicipal reason for us being relegated is galling in the extreme.

Brightside
06-06-2014, 12:34 PM
This is my thoughts on the youth team too. The gap between being a successful youth player at Hibs to successful first team player at Hibs seems to be massive at the moment. A failing on the youth coaches part imho in not readying them physically and mentally for the demands of first team football.

His job is to coach the u20 team. If and when they play for the first team is up to the manager of the first team. Half of them should have been playing this year.

jdships
06-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Same with every club !
Alex Miller told me that if he got four out of every fortyodd boys under 17 he spotted who REALLY made it he was happy .
About ten years ago I travelled on the plane to London alongside David Platt and he said exactly the same thing - 10/12 % of 17 year olds made it at top senior level !!
While coaching obviously plays a large part in the development it depends so much on each individuals ability to learn and to use what they learn/are taught.

:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
06-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Same with every club !
Alex Miller told me that if he got four out of every fortyodd boys under 17 he spotted who REALLY made it he was happy .
About ten years ago I travelled on the plane to London alongside David Platt and he said exactly the same thing - 10/12 % of 17 year olds made it at top senior level !!
While coaching obviously plays a large part in the development it depends so much on each individuals ability to learn and to use what they learn/are taught.

:rolleyes:

There is a story about John Collins giving a talk to one of the Falkirk youth teams when Yogi was in charge pretty much saying out of the group of 20 there are likely to be only about 2 that really make it. His message to them was, 'then what are you going to do to make yourself better that the other guys are not".

Turkish Green
06-06-2014, 01:26 PM
A shame as I would now expect players to be released from the U20s squad purely for cost cutting reasons.

I have watched pro-youth football for the 1995 age group since they were U13s due to my lad being involved. The two players in the current U20s that have impressed me the most are Jason Cummings and Ryan Baptie. Jason has made it to the 1st team but I see great things for Ryan. My son is a tricky right winger and played directly against Ryan at LB on many occasions. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times my lad managed to get past Ryan and get the ball into the box. My personal opinion is that he will replaced McGivern (assuming he is still at the club) at LB next season.

steviehibsleith
06-06-2014, 01:50 PM
A shame as I would now expect players to be released from the U20s squad purely for cost cutting reasons.

I have watched pro-youth football for the 1995 age group since they were U13s due to my lad being involved. The two players in the current U20s that have impressed me the most are Jason Cummings and Ryan Baptie. Jason has made it to the 1st team but I see great things for Ryan. My son is a tricky right winger and played directly against Ryan at LB on many occasions. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times my lad managed to get past Ryan and get the ball into the box. My personal opinion is that he will replaced McGivern (assuming he is still at the club) at LB next season.

You say this group since under13s Jason Cummings joined Hibs at 17 and has just completed his first season at Hibs. Ryan Playing against teammates in bounce games is irrelevant and think there will be a new lb coming Callum Booth to start with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

oconnors_strip
06-06-2014, 02:21 PM
You say this group since under13s Jason Cummings joined Hibs at 17 and has just completed his first season at Hibs. Ryan Playing against teammates in bounce games is irrelevant and think there will be a new lb coming Callum Booth to start with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The father you have quoted is talking about watching his son play at that age level, not that he definitely played for hibs. Many of the Hibs youth players knew Cummings before he came to hibs because he played for hearts and hutchie, when you watch youth football and follow a player through the years you tend to remember certain players

Peevemor
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
It's unfair to judge youngsters coming into a first team that are playing poorly and lacking confidence. From what I can gather, Hibs youth teams do well enough at their level, so JMcD must be doing something right.

hibeeleicester
06-06-2014, 03:08 PM
U20's to 1st team is so cut throat. That's not just at Hibs trust me. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Nothing on official site regarding this, do they only publish "good news" stories?

Hibee87
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Put James in charge of 1st team and bin TB

I said this just before butcher got the gig and was laughed at...... as far as i know he has progressed with hibs from u13's up for the last 7 or 8 years and we keep hearing how good the young team are and play nice attractive football

SmashinGlass
06-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Nothing on official site regarding this, do they only publish "good news" stories?

It would seem so. Can't imagine they'd want to publish anything negative at the moment, given the feelings of supporters. I saw a tweet from the EOS league last night confirming the withdrawal from the league. I get why we've resigned, but it's a disaster for the young lads who took part, a lot of whom have also been emptied

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-06-2014, 03:37 PM

If the cost of this could be partially covered by the salary paid to R Petrie, I would sacrafice that first, before the EOS link.

AlbertK86
06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
I said this just before butcher got the gig and was laughed at...... as far as i know he has progressed with hibs from u13's up for the last 7 or 8 years and we keep hearing how good the young team are and play nice attractive football

Let's put it this way can we play any worse than we have over the second half of the season

If TB is kept I will give him my backing to see how he does with a team that he builds

However if he fails after that I'd be more than happy to see JD get the gig

The Leith Dutch
06-06-2014, 03:58 PM
If the cost of this could be partially covered by the salary paid to R Petrie, I would sacrafice that first, before the EOS link.

But how could we possibly expect Leeann Dempster (an experienced CEO) to be able to communicate with the owner without a "conduit"?
Do you know nothing of business?
:D

On an equally flippant note maybe if we buy her a comedy Rod 'tache it would enable her to be able to speak directly to STF and we could punt Petrie?

emerald green
06-06-2014, 06:12 PM

emerald green
06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Couldn't agree more.
I've obviously been fairly gutted about relegation but this is the start of it tipping over into proper anger.

The fact that Butcher may keep his job - and probably his salary - while cuts like this are being made when he is the prinicipal reason for us being relegated is galling in the extreme.

Danderhall Hibs
06-06-2014, 06:30 PM
What benefit was playing against a bunch of cloggers bringing the young laddies anyway? They'd gain more from playing in a proper reserve league.

macca70
06-06-2014, 09:09 PM
What an absolute joke to withdraw this team.

How do all the other clubs in that league finance there teams. None of them have the priveledge to be connected to pro clubs.

They surely just need to train twice a week and play Saturday not as if they have to be full time.

Forza Fred
06-06-2014, 09:18 PM

That appears to be the reason
PURE AND SIMPLE COST !!

I poste the possibility of cost cutting affecting our youth set up a week ago, and was basically lambasted and told relegation would not affect us all financially.

There are times I do wonder if some of my fellow posters inhabit the same planet - just as no doubt they think the same about me.

But if anyone really thinks relegation does not have a significant impact financially, please reconsider.

southsider
06-06-2014, 09:21 PM
What benefit was playing against a bunch of cloggers bringing the young laddies anyway? They'd gain more from playing in a proper reserve league.
Toughen's them up. Joe Baker and Pat Stanton were sent to play Junior football for that reason. Never done them much harm indeed Joe was a full England cap two years later. But, Joe was just the best and Pat is just wow, moved like a Rolls Royce amung Selling Platers.

Danderhall Hibs
06-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Toughen's them up. Joe Baker and Pat Stanton were sent to play Junior football for that reason. Never done them much harm indeed Joe was a full England cap two years later. But, Joe was just the best and Pat is just wow, moved like a Rolls Royce amung Selling Platers.

I get that. Reserve league would be better for that though.

Having said that it didn't do fletcher or brown any harm not playing in the eos.

SouthamptonHibs
07-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Sad but impact of relegation. Now let's get rid of the woman's team now (only if Hibs give them money), Hibs should focus every pound on the first team. Forget youth woman's football etc

CropleyWasGod
07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Sad but impact of relegation. Now let's get rid of the woman's team now (only if Hibs give them money), Hibs should focus every pound on the first team. Forget youth woman's football etc

According to the Scotsman, it wasn't a direct result of relegation. It was being discussed anyway.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
According to the Scotsman, it wasn't a direct result of relegation. It was being discussed anyway.

I've said before in other threads, I hate to see kids being told they are being released but the brutal fact is we have/had far too many players on the books

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Really? I think you'll find that rather than forgetting it we will be looking to improve it vastly and rightly so.

FranckSuzy
07-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Eh?! You spout some nonsense on here but that must be the worst of the lot. Get rid of the youth team...seriously? Oh, and why the ladies team also?! Unreal.

marinello59
07-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Eh?! You spout some nonsense on here but that must be the worst of the lot. Get rid of the youth team...seriously? Oh, and why the ladies team also?! Unreal.

Good question. One of our successes.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM

We've had a new CEO spend the day talking about us being a community club again and you're solution is to cut a ladies team. Ladies football is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and we should be drawing everyone playing under the Hibs banner closer.

The reason for resigning the EOS league was given. We have too many players, quantity over quality if you will. LD felt we were only in that league to give players games. She feels the SPFL under 20s league is sufficient. We needs less players but better ones to use resources better.

Weir7
08-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Nobody watches women's fitba. If they are self sufficient fine
Not a penny should come out of first team budget to pay for women's fitba

Weir7
08-06-2014, 07:01 AM
We've had a new CEO spend the day talking about us being a community club again and you're solution is to cut a ladies team. Ladies football is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and we should be drawing everyone playing under the Hibs banner closer.

The reason for resigning the EOS league was given. We have too many players, quantity over quality if you will. LD felt we were only in that league to give players games. She feels the SPFL under 20s league is sufficient. We needs less players but better ones to use resources better.
How much time had LD spent coaching and developing youth players? Coaches wanted team to continue but financial cuts won the day due to petries mis management

Peevemor
08-06-2014, 07:23 AM
How much time had LD spent coaching and developing youth players? Coaches wanted team to continue but financial cuts won the day due to petries mis management

Of course they did. The more players on the books, the more coaches we need.

Weir7
08-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Of course they did. The more players on the books, the more coaches we need.

Coach that takes team job is secure.

SouthamptonHibs
08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Imo every penny should be spent on the first team while we are in the lower leagues. Youth football / development is a luxury we can't afford. I hope Hibs give zero money to the woman's team. HIBERNIAN should be all about the men's first team. Woman's football is gash.
Just my thoughts...

SouthamptonHibs
08-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Really? I think you'll find that rather than forgetting it we will be looking to improve it vastly and rightly so.

Scouse just for the years we are in the lower leagues. I'm all up for youth development but it costs money. Hibs need to divert every penny on getting us out of championship imo. Short term view

SouthamptonHibs
08-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Ladies football is gash mate. Hibs should spend every penny on the men's first team. That's what Hibs are about men's football.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2014, 10:13 AM

So LD should make every decision based in what others want. Does that not go against every other argument you have made for weeks?

Would you rather we used our resources to have a strong 1st team squad of relative quality or continued in the current vein of too many players but too little quality?

jdships
08-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Heard exactly the same -
" Playing staff numbers are too big to sustain given the financial climate . A possible reduction of 15/18 players is on the cards meaning the resignation from EofS League is a " probable" "
was what I was told by a journo .

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Scouse just for the years we are in the lower leagues. I'm all up for youth development but it costs money. Hibs need to divert every penny on getting us out of championship imo. Short term view

No we need to look long term in my opinion, we can't afford to lose years of youth development that would be counter productive.

Brightside
09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
JM been told he's safe. Only needs to worry about the u20s now rather than the EOS side too. Player number reduction was coming. Oh and for the last time Hibs Ladies get almost no money from Hibs FC. Coaches are paid for by the Hibs Community Foundation and the SFA tho (ie Willie Kirk, Chris Roberts). Everyone else does it for nothing, as do all of the girls at all ages.
Not sure how the Spartans link up will affect the youth players at the younger age groups, but the coaching at the age has been poor for years anyway. I'd be happy if Hibs left players with Sparans until 13 or so and then they move up to an Elite academy but we need to invest in Elite coaches too and not just volunteers who fancy wearing a hibs trackie. Thats the model for long term success.