PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig

theonlywayisup
05-06-2014, 11:54 AM
:bye:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27705499

Another who promised a lot, but under performed.

Aldo
05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
:bye: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27705499 Another who promised a lot, but under performed.

Craig showed exactly what he was all about when the going got tough this *****bag hid and passed the buck. Leaving the responsibility to others. Club capt ma arse!!

Couldn't care less where the spineless coward went.

Jones28
05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Started brightly but for some reason his just deserted him!

jacomo
05-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Craig showed exactly what he was all about when the going got tough this *****bag hid and passed the buck. Leaving the responsibility to others. Club capt ma arse!!

Who made him captain and asked him to play deeper in midfield? And why?

I despaired of those first time nothing balls that L Craig kept just lumping forward for the second half of the season, but could just of been a player who was suddenly confused about his role in the team and lost his confidence.

calumhibee1
05-06-2014, 12:46 PM

I despaired of those first time nothing balls that L Craig kept just lumping forward for the second half of the season, but could just of been a player who was suddenly confused about his role in the team and lost his confidence.

Maybe that was the case. However I always thought he looked lacking in effort, which there is no excuse for.

patlowe
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM

A bit harsh IMO. He clearly struggled with the pressure of being at Hibs, as well as being captain, but I wouldn't question his integrity.

Turkish Green
05-06-2014, 12:48 PM
So if Craig is on his way, who of the 1st team squad that ended the season is left. I assume Nelson, McGivern and Heffernan will be booted. What about Tudor-Jones? I assume he's safe as he came from ICT.

I could be a very busy summer for Dempster & Butcher. Oh! I forgot, TB is in Brasil (scouting mission perhaps).

PETRIE OUT

Paloschi
05-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Nightmare of a player. 2 or 3 good games out of about 30.

Butcher made a huge error in making him captain but hindsight eh!

Saorsa
05-06-2014, 12:53 PM

I despaired of those first time nothing balls that L Craig kept just lumping forward for the second half of the season, but could just of been a player who was suddenly confused about his role in the team and lost his confidence.None of that excuses hiding or no trying. Some times players have poor games, even very good players, some players are just poor, sometimes players can lack confidence and I can accept all of that. I'll never except hiding or lack of effort particularly when I'm paying for it.

Kato
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Mouseheart

jacomo
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Nightmare of a player. 2 or 3 good games out of about 30.

Butcher made a huge error in making him captain but hindsight eh!

Everyone makes mistakes. Fortunately, Butcher got more right than wrong. :rolleyes:

Kato
05-06-2014, 12:57 PM

As someone else on here said, Butcher asked questions of the players characters when he arrived and most were found wanting. No bollocks.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
We better get some money since he's under contract. Won't be much but every little helps!

Confused when I opened the link and it looked like Lewis Stevenson wearing a St Mirren strip haha

ChicagoHibee
05-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Damn! He was a beast for me in Fifa 14.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
So if Craig is on his way, who of the 1st team squad that ended the season is left. I assume Nelson, McGivern and Heffernan will be booted. What about Tudor-Jones? I assume he's safe as he came from ICT.

I could be a very busy summer for Dempster & Butcher. Oh! I forgot, TB is in Brasil (scouting mission perhaps).

PETRIE OUT

We're currently left with;

Michael Nelson
Ryan McGivern
Jordon Forster
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Liam Craig
Owain Tudur Jones
Sam Stanton
Scott Robertson
Alex Harris
Danny Handling
Ross Caldwell
Jason Cummings
Paul Heffernan

With Callum Booth rejoining the squad after his recent loan spells.

staunchhibby
05-06-2014, 02:05 PM
There could be a lot less on this list come the new season

Fife-Hibee
05-06-2014, 02:21 PM
How frightening does that list look :(

Aldo
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
A bit harsh IMO. He clearly struggled with the pressure of being at Hibs, as well as being captain, but I wouldn't question his integrity.

Patlowe I appreciate what your saying but since the turn of the year Craig has hid and passed the buck and brought nowt to the team. Time and time again he didn't show for the ball and didn't stand up to his responsibilities as a player for Hibernian football club. Words are cheap in respect of him and he just couldn't step up and try.

edinburghhibee
05-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Damn! He was a beast for me in Fifa 14.

Dinnae worry about that we won't be on FIFA 15 :(

ALF TUPPER
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
How frightening does that list look :(

Was just thinkin the same . Eeeeeeek !

scoopyboy
05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
We better get some money since he's under contract. Won't be much but every little helps!

Confused when I opened the link and it looked like Lewis Stevenson wearing a St Mirren strip haha

IMO we will be content to offload his wage.

Ricky Bobby
05-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Thought that he would be decent signing for us, but this about sums up his contribution. Well rid.

Winston Ingram
05-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Good luck to him. No doubt he'll be played in his right position & not be told he's ***** everyday and he'll have a decent total by xmas

hibee_girl
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Me too, had a panic for a second!

happiehibbie
05-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Another player ruined by our manager

Craig played with SJ first season 15 goals second season 20 odd we sign him starts of great then played out off position asked to punt the ball forward

we had a midfield of talented guys KT SR LC yet we missed them out

in general two ex scottish internationals and a Hi scoring midfielder

i know where the issue lies

patlowe
05-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Craig played with SJ first season 15 goals second season 20 odd we sign him starts of great then played out off position asked to punt the ball forward

Craig was unconvincing all season and Robertson's performances have been pretty much the same since he signed - tons of energy but not very much composure. Neither of them were ruined by Butcher, they just aren't quite good enough.

I'll give you Thomson though, no idea what Butcher's thinking was there.

hibeesjoe
05-06-2014, 03:55 PM
We're currently left with;

Michael Nelson
Ryan McGivern
Jordon Forster
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Liam Craig
Owain Tudur Jones
Sam Stanton
Scott Robertson
Alex Harris
Danny Handling
Ross Caldwell
Jason Cummings
Paul Heffernan

With Callum Booth rejoining the squad after his recent loan spells.

We could lose

Michael Nelson
Ryan McGivern
Jordon Forster
Liam Craig
Owain Tudur Jones
Danny Handling
Ross Caldwell and maybe Heffernan and i wouldnt be bothered in the slightest

HibbySpurs
05-06-2014, 04:00 PM

I'm inclined to agree with that.... Hibs seem to have this knack of turning reasonable players bad...

Not all these players can be bad players especially judging by how quickly most of them seem to have got new clubs.....

Franck Stanton
05-06-2014, 04:02 PM
We could lose

Michael Nelson
Ryan McGivern
Jordon Forster
Liam Craig
Owain Tudur Jones
Danny Handling

With the exception of Forster I agree with you

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 04:23 PM
We could lose

Michael Nelson
Ryan McGivern
Jordon Forster
Liam Craig
Owain Tudur Jones
Danny Handling

One thing's for sure.

Unless we see a massive improvement in personnel over the next eight weeks or so, that squad won't be challenging for any title next season.

At the moment our best possible squad will be;

New GK

Booth
Hanlon
McGivern
Forster

Stevenson
Robertson
Stanton
Harris

Heffernan
Cummings

SUBS

New GK
Nelson
Craig
Tudur Jones
Handling
Caldwell
???

The starting XI is average and the bench is frighteningly bad.

SneakersO'Toole
05-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Liam Craig, possibly one of the worst Hibs captains of all time.

PISTOL1875
05-06-2014, 04:59 PM

It deserted him when Butcher moved him from playing in the final third to center midfield.. Fenlon had him playing where he should've and always has played for previous clubs...

Pete
05-06-2014, 05:09 PM
It deserted him when Butcher moved him from playing in the final third to center midfield.. Fenlon had him playing where he should've and always has played for previous clubs...

I don't think Butcher likes players like Craig in the final third and I can only assume that Craig must have been the closest thing to the type of player he wants holding in the middle.

The fact that he hasn't expressed a desire to keep the man he installed as captain just shows you what he must think of the whole squad.

He must be allowed to get his own players in instead of sticking Pats pegs into Butcher shaped holes.

As for Craig, I'm sure he'll be fine in a more suitable formation without the armband. As for people calling him a coward and accusing him of lacking effort, I'm not having that.

Aldo
05-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Liam Craig, possibly one of the worst Hibs captains of all time.

THE worst Capt in my opinion

Boyle89
05-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Butcher clearly had a negative affect on Craig. I remember the killie away game where he scored twice. The game seemed to pass him by but he got two goals. Compare that to Craig under butcher. Game still passed him by but he contributed nothing. I hope he goes cause if I see him do that stupid hook volley thing again I will have a heart attack.

judas
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
One thing's for sure.

Unless we see a massive improvement in personnel over the next eight weeks or so, that squad won't be challenging for any title next season.

At the moment our best possible squad will be;

New GK

Booth
Hanlon
McGivern
Forster

Stevenson
Robertson
Stanton
Harris

Heffernan
Cummings

SUBS

New GK
Nelson
Craig
Tudur Jones
Handling
Caldwell
???

The starting XI is average and the bench is frighteningly bad.

so with Harris in there, its a 10 man team.

staunchhibby
05-06-2014, 07:54 PM
[I]Thats if we have any players left

McIntosh
05-06-2014, 09:12 PM
A small fee involved £50,000 Craig has the choice of three clubs

Kato
05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
so with Harris in there, its a 10 man team.

That attitude from the fans will do wonders for the guys confidence. Well done you.

DC_Hibs
05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
That attitude from the fans will do wonders for the guys confidence. Well done you.

Yeah Yeah, someone posts their opinion on a messageboard and it shatters the lad's confidence.

Harris has had any easy time of it during games as 99% realise he's young, lacking confidence and just back from injury so he wasn't exactly getting abuse. Butcher keeping him in the team did no favours and he did the team none as he was absolutely rank.

We're too soft. Grow a set man.

Well done you!

happiehibbie
05-06-2014, 09:30 PM
What shocks me the most is that Stevonson is still there !!

am not a fan of his :)

tamig
05-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Couldn't agree more. Liam Craig will prove what a fine player he is when he's played in his right position elsewhere. No doubt about it.

Unseen work
05-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Even at the start I never thought he was playing well I just thought he scored some goals, a couple are pens. Majority of the games I think he's been non existent

soda70
05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
The question are, who are we going to bring in? Who is going to sign for a team in Scotlands 2nd teir? And how much are going to spend on players? We badly need some good news and the sooner the better

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't think Butcher likes players like Craig in the final third and I can only assume that Craig must have been the closest thing to the type of player he wants holding in the middle.

The fact that he hasn't expressed a desire to keep the man he installed as captain just shows you what he must think of the whole squad.

He must be allowed to get his own players in instead of sticking Pats pegs into Butcher shaped holes.

As for Craig, I'm sure he'll be fine in a more suitable formation without the armband. As for people calling him a coward and accusing him of lacking effort, I'm not having that.

I don't how anyone who has watched him regularly can dispute it, his work rate has been pretty poor on more than one occasion, for whatever reason his lack of effort was blatantly obvious.

Kato
05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah Yeah, someone posts their opinion on a messageboard and it shatters the lad's confidence.

I never mentioned his post. I said "that attitude".

Harris has had any easy time of it during games as 99% realise he's young, lacking confidence and just back from injury so he wasn't exactly getting abuse. Butcher keeping him in the team did no favours and he did the team none as he was absolutely rank.

All the youngsters should get any easy time from the fans.

We're too soft. Grow a set man.

Harri's career like any youngster could either way, he needs space to grow a set. I'm fine thanks.

Well done you!

Cheers.

The_Horde
05-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Couldn't agree more. Liam Craig will prove what a fine player he is when he's played in his right position elsewhere. No doubt about it.

Can't agree with this.

Craig would be suited to a west ham style of play. Hitting long shots off loose balls but he'll never be a "fine player" because he simply just does not have the finesse to be that player.

He might well bang some goals in and do alright but I'll never be thinking "god I miss Liam Craig"

Boyle89
06-06-2014, 12:38 AM
;4049642']Can't agree with this.

Craig would be suited to a west ham style of play. Hitting long shots off loose balls but he'll never be a "fine player" because he simply just does not have the finesse to be that player.

He might well bang some goals in and do alright but I'll never be thinking "god I miss Liam Craig"
Careful what you wish for with that last part ;).

TheFamous1875
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
I think it's a shame how Craig's Hibs career has panned out. He was a goal scoring midfielder at St Johnstone and we turn him into the club captain and a holding midfielder. Craig should be behind the strikers with someone of quality behind him (Murray Davidson) and be in a free role. We never really gave him that chance. If we'd had Scott Robertson and Thomson behind him, I think there's a chance we could've got the best out of him.

He's no captain, and he's no holding midfielder, and it was a nap he would fail at both considering his talents lay elsewhere on the pitch. It's a shame for him, and it's typical of us.

The truth is, Hibs haven't had a team since 2007. If players like Craig are to be of use to us, we need proper players in the squad to enable them to make their contribution. The amount of players with potential or previous that've came and failed at our club is ludicrous.

It's a TEAM Hibs need to be successful, and we've not had such a thing consistently since 2007.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Billychaotic182
06-06-2014, 12:43 AM
I think it's a shame how Craig's Hibs career has panned out. He was a goal scoring midfielder at St Johnstone and we turn him into the club captain and a holding midfielder. Craig should be behind the strikers with someone of quality behind him (Murray Davidson) and be in a free role. We never really gave him that chance. If we'd had Scott Robertson and Thomson behind him, I think there's a chance we could've got the best out of him.

He's no captain, and he's no holding midfielder, and it was a nap he would fail at both considering his talents lay elsewhere on the pitch. It's a shame for him, and it's typical of us.

The truth is, Hibs haven't had a team since 2007. If players like Craig are to be of use to us, we need proper players in the squad to enable them to make their contribution. The amount of players with potential or previous that've came and failed at our club is ludicrous.

It's a TEAM Hibs need to be successful, and we've not had such a thing consistently since 2007.

Spot on mate

Pete
06-06-2014, 01:01 AM
[/B]

I don't how anyone who has watched him regularly can dispute it, his work rate has been pretty poor on more than one occasion, for whatever reason his lack of effort was blatantly obvious.

I watched him regularly and totally dispute it. He did put himself about but he was limited in what he could do as he was definitely not a ball-winner or someone who is effective at either chasing down or building from the back.

Maybe he used energy that he naturally didn't have when trying to be Jorge Claros which resulted in spells of "inactivity" and the blowing out of his erse at the end sometimes.

He a was mis-used player because Butcher had no other options but he certainly wasn't work-shy and most definitely wasn't a coward. He'll thrive up front in a different formation.

The_Horde
06-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Careful what you wish for with that last part ;).

No matter how ***** we are I'll never dream of Liam Craig's glorious relegation season.

I'm more inclined to say I wish we had broonie, KT, Deano, latapy, sauzee etc

greenlex
06-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Cannae believe folk are crapping themselves. The season is just finished and we need rid if the dross that relegated us. Does anyone think we will get rid if them and not replace any of them leaving us with a squad unable to challenge at the top of the championship? Its early doors yet

green day
06-06-2014, 05:53 AM

So why did he keep accepting the armband?

Aldo
06-06-2014, 06:14 AM

And just what is his best position??? He played on the left of the St J midfield.

For us he played in the middle, on the left and in a more advanced role yet he hid and failed to performance pretty much every game.

He bottled it simple as that. His level is St Mirren and St J and I mean the size of club as I know they are a level above.

As a professional football player he should play where needed by the team.

He didn't perform well in any of his positions IMHO.

bigwheel
06-06-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm sure Liam would acknowledge he was poor overall last season , but for those suggesting that makes him a bad player ...He was a good youngster and had a strong last 3 years at St J - he will do well again - I wish him all the best - didn't work out here - no need to be nasty about him

TheFamous1875
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
So why did he keep accepting the armband?

It's not given on a match-to-match basis. He was the club captain outright.

Dashing Bob S
06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Never a captain in a million years, but a textbook case of a vibrant, creative, attacking, goalscoring midfielder totally ruined by Hibs.

jacomo
06-06-2014, 02:54 PM
And just what is his best position??? He played on the left of the St J midfield.

For us he played in the middle, on the left and in a more advanced role yet he hid and failed to performance pretty much every game.

He bottled it simple as that. His level is St Mirren and St J and I mean the size of club as I know they are a level above.

As a professional football player he should play where needed by the team.

He didn't perform well in any of his positions IMHO.

He was our main goal threat at the start of last season, when Pat played him on the left. Was he hiding then?

How about when he took the penalty which won the NY derby after Hearts had brought it back to 1-1. Still hiding?

Aldo
06-06-2014, 03:02 PM
He was our main goal threat at the start of last season, when Pat played him on the left. Was he hiding then? How about when he took the penalty which won the NY derby after Hearts had brought it back to 1-1. Still hiding?

I see where your coming from but it's over a season not a handful of games. Agree re goal threat at start of season etc and his goal but you have to admit since then has hid in matches and was pretty much an empty jersey with little or no commitment or effort.

The_Horde
06-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Even when he was "scoring goals" he wasn't exactly influencing all of our play.

truehibernian
06-06-2014, 03:13 PM
;4050335']Even when he was "scoring goals" he wasn't exactly influencing all of our play.

This, 100% !

Liam was slow, safe and looked unfit and too involved in arguing with refs and pointing a lot - never ever fully switched on in games and was caught in possession and caught ball watching far far too often.

Nowhere near brave enough in games and certainly not a leader of men. Poor choice to give him the armband.

john18722
06-06-2014, 05:42 PM
He is the new Ross Chisolm

Stevie Reid
18-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Confirmed as captain for the upcoming season by Stubbs - hopefully both he and Hibs can undergo a similar renaissance this season: -

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-wants-a-team-full-of-captains-1-3480817

AL-Qaholik
18-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Confirmed as captain for the upcoming season by Stubbs - hopefully both he and Hibs can undergo a similar renaissance this season: -

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-wants-a-team-full-of-captains-1-3480817

Wow! What an absolutely horrific decision!
One of the main culprits in our relegation gets rewarded with the continued capitaincy!
Utterly baffling...

Stevie Reid
18-07-2014, 11:42 AM
One of the main culprits in our relegation gets rewarded with the continued capitaincy!
Utterly baffling...

I'm a bit surprised but happy to go with Stubbs on this one. Plus, looking back will do us no favours whatsoever - let's move onwards and upwards.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Shows a good side of Liam Craig's personality that he's keen to prove himself.

Well done.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

NOLA
18-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I was watching the Van Gaal interview yesterday + when he said picking his captain would be one of his most important decisions to make I wondered who stubbs would be picking, very surprised he's gone with craig, saying that there's not much competition, lacking leaders throughout the squad IMO

TheFamous1875
18-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm a bit surprised but happy to go with Stubbs on this one. Plus, looking back will do us no favours whatsoever - let's move onwards and upwards.

This is my stance, but what's more concerning to me is it's also an indication that we may not be getting in any experienced "leader-types" if Craig is to continue to be captain. I really hope I'm wrong!

AL-Qaholik
18-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I was watching the Van Gaal interview yesterday + when he said picking his captain would be one of his most important decisions to make I wondered who stubbs would be picking, very surprised he's gone with craig, saying that there's not much competition, lacking leaders throughout the squad IMO

Lacking a SQUAD, let alone leaders in it...

I know this isn't the "party line" right now but I for one am seriously worried!

GreenLake
18-07-2014, 11:54 AM
I think he can score goals playing more forward and will be less likely to try inaccurate 40 yard lobs to opposition center backs. Defensively he was like a passenger last season so maybe Stubbs can get him fired up to apply pressure on the opposition further up the field. I hope Stubs is a manager who can transform struggling player's confidence, like Harry Redknap has been able to over the years, and that Craig will be getting my applause this year.

JimBHibees
18-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Hugely surprised to be honest as didnt think he led the team well at all. Appreciate there were no doubt loads going on behind the scenes last season which might mitigate some of his performances however his leadership qualities are IMO questionable. Obviously has impressed the manager so will see how it goes though surprised by this.

MrRobot
18-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm not worried tbh. I like Craig and he did look good when we played the ball on the ground(although that was only about 4 games). He is an experienced player, proven he is a good player before and I think with the right style of football and position, he will become an important part of the team like we thought he would have last season.

Golden Bear
18-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Utterly baffling...

Yip, he was very disappointing last season and seemed to let the hecklers in the crowd get to him.

I've still got every confidence in his ability and hopefully he'll go on and shine for us both as a Captain and a player.

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Who else is there?

JimBHibees
18-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Who else is there?

Very valid point.

Golden Bear
18-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Who else is there?

There is a central defender who has good leadership qualities but erm---------------

:offski:

MWHIBBIES
18-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Utterly baffling...Without his goals we would have been down long before we were. Yes he wasn't great but he certainly wasn't a ''main culprit'' in our relegation, something that had been coming for years.

sesoim
18-07-2014, 12:10 PM

If Stubbs has bothered to watch any of the games from last season, he would have decided to wait until he got a few more signings in before deciding who to make captain. Surely we will be signing at least one CB and one or two other players who will fit the bill better than a midfielder who could barely make an easy pass never mind do anything decent with the ball last season?

BVB Hibs
18-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Captains slowly but surely gaining a smaller role in the game anyway. He's simply the man who wears the armband, and you need more than one leader on the pitch these days.

silverhibee
confirmed as captain for the upcoming season by stubbs - hopefully both he and hibs can undergo a similar renaissance this season: -

wow.

NadeAteMyLunch!
Did he not captain St Johnstone quite a lot as well? There's obviously something there

Jones28
18-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Happy with that, Craig was a shining light last season when he was in form, playing higher up the park and scoring goals. Butcher came in and funnily enough he, along with everyone and their dog stopped playing well.

Plus shows he's of strong character to take some of the flak he took and still be willing to captain a side he was told he was free to walk away from.

'Mon Liam, prove the doubters wrong!

LancsHibs
18-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Not impressed. My high of lost week is now at a low ebb. The fact that LC has been made captain due to a lack of other candidates highlights the poor job of player recruitment thus far. I shall put my tin hat firmly on my head as I have committed the ultimate sin on here and made a criticism of Stubbs & Dempster.

Jones28
18-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Not impressed. My high of lost week is now at a low ebb. The fact that LC has been made captain due to a lack of other candidates highlights the poor job of player recruitment thus far. I shall put my tin hat firmly on my head as I have committed the ultimate sin on here and made a criticism of Stubbs & Dempster.

When have we ever signed a player specifically to become captain?

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Who else is there?

Hanlon would have been a better choice than lazyboy Craig.

Mental decision.

Stevie Reid
18-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Easy to forget that Craig was a very impressive player for St. Johnstone prior to arriving with us - yes he was poor last season, and I would have been perfectly happy for him to go, but Stubbs won't have made this decision without being convinced that LC has a lot to offer.

At 27 he should be coming to his peak, and has scored 54 goals from midfield in around 7 seasons of football - if he gets anywhere near his best form in the Championship, he'll be a stand out. We've seen others turn round their Hibs careers after inauspicious starts - here's hoping that Liam is one of them.

Last year is behind us. He has my full backing.

Turkish Green
18-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Did he not captain St Johnstone quite a lot as well? There's obviously something there
His captaining of teams goes back to the Ipswich youth team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2005.

Caversham Green
18-07-2014, 12:20 PM
If Stubbs has bothered to watch any of the games from last season, he would have decided to wait until he got a few more signings in before deciding who to make captain. Surely we will be signing at least one CB and one or two other players who will fit the bill better than a midfielder who could barely make an easy pass never mind do anything decent with the ball last season?

Alternatively, he might have watched the player in training, spoken to him and the rest of the squad and decided he was the right man for the job for the coming season rather than the last one.

Some managers would do that.

LancsHibs
18-07-2014, 12:21 PM

I was hoping to sign some players who might show some leadership on the pitch after last seasons shambles

MWHIBBIES
18-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Alternatively, he might have watched the player in training, spoken to him and the rest of the squad and decided he was the right man for the job for the coming season rather than the last one.

Some managers would do that.Nope, must be a problem with player recruitment, lazyboy Craig, single-handedly relegated us, Stubbs out, Petrie in.

Jones28
18-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I was hoping to sign some players who might show some leadership on the pitch after last seasons shambles

Still a lot of transfer time to go. I am concerned about not having players in for the start of the season, but happy to see we aren't signing any old dross as well.

Dashing Bob S
18-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Craig's a decent SPL level midfielder, and to retain him in the championship is a bit of a coup in my book. Yes, he suffered a nightmarish hell under the Butcher/Malpass regime, but then so did everybody associated with Hibs, from Petrie, to all of us in the stands.

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 12:32 PM

McPake :dunno:

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Nope, must be a problem with player recruitment, lazyboy Craig, single-handedly relegated us, Stubbs out, Petrie in.

Stop making things up eh.

Lago
18-07-2014, 12:39 PM
The bigger worry is the reports today that Stubbs is happy to go forward with a small squad. Cant be many more coming in so Craig was his best bet for captain

Charnley 4
18-07-2014, 12:43 PM
To think there was genuine hope of signing the likes of McFadden.

Dave-O
18-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I must say I was expecting big things from Craig last season and he really disappointed, especially after being given the armband, I don't think he's captain material, if he is he certainly never showed it, it should have been given to Hanlon and allow Craig to concentrate on his own game, starting to get that deja vu feeling here. :confused:

percy veer
18-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I must say I was expecting big things from Craig last season and he really disappointed, especially after being given the armband, I don't think he's captain material, if he is he certainly never showed it, it should have been given to Hanlon and allow Craig to concentrate on his own game, starting to get that deja vu feeling here. :confused:

I think Hanlon needs to concentrate on bulking up and trying to defend.

SteveHFC
18-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Mental decision.

Agreed Silver

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Mental decision.

Maybe, but i'd prefer Paul to concentrate on his own job for now. To be fair the captains job means very little these days, although as it appears now that we will have the squad filled with young inexperienced lads, i'd have prefered that they were guided by someone who shows more leadership qualities than Craig.

Kato
18-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Captains slowly but surely gaining a smaller role in the game anyway. He's simply the man who wears the armband, and you need more than one leader on the pitch these days.

Ah. A "modern football is different" post.

Teams have always required leadership throughout the team as well as a strong Captain. Same as it ever was.

Dispised him toward the end of last season but will support Stubb's call.

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 01:53 PM
I think Hanlon needs to concentrate on bulking up and trying to defend.

:faf:

patlowe
18-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Ah. A "modern football is different" post.

Teams have always required leadership throughout the team as well as a strong Captain. Same as it ever was.

Dispised him toward the end of last season but will support Stubb's call.

I would say the concept of the captain has potentially changed, but then what is a 'strong' captain anyway? I'm not criticising by the way, I just think it's an interesting debate. I look at a guy like Philip Lahm with Germany (now retired from international football BTW) and I don't see him as your traditional Butcheresque captain. However, he was part of a team with leaders all over the park, so what was his role as captain? A motivator? Not sure about that one. Leading by example in terms of taking responsibility? Definitely yes. A popular link between the coaching staff and the team? Probably, yes. As for Craig, I could see him potentially fulfilling the latter two aspects successfully at this level, not that I rate him hugely as a player.

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Maybe, but i'd prefer Paul to concentrate on his own job for now. To be fair the captains job means very little these days, although as it appears now that we will have the squad filled with young inexperienced lads, i'd have prefered that they were guided by someone who shows more leadership qualities than Craig.

Hanlon is a 24 year old man now BH, been at the club for a long time and supports the club, he knows what is all about to play for Hibs, he should be ready for the captains role now in his career and giving it to Craig is a joke imo, these young inexperienced lads will have more respect for Paul Hanlon than they do for LC, sorry but no matter what anyone says this is a mistake by Stubbs imo.

FFS, just give it to Lewis if the captains band means nothing.

WestStandMoaner
18-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Hanlon is a 24 year old man now BH, been at the club for a long time and supports the club, he knows what is all about to play for Hibs, he should be ready for the captains role now in his career and giving it to Craig is a joke imo, these young inexperienced lads will have more respect for Paul Hanlon than they do for LC, sorry but no matter what anyone says this is a mistake by Stubbs imo.

I agree, give it to someone who knows what the club is all about and surely someone at Hibs must have told AS what the fans thought of LC as captain

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Some players revel in it, others don't. I thought Hanlon didn't play as well when he was captain, thats why i wouldnt give it to him. I'd also not give it to Stevenson, because i don't see him playing every week. For all we know Stubbs may have asked Hanlon and he turned it down, i don't know?

The Leith Dutch
18-07-2014, 02:19 PM
On the playing side I'm very much in the camp of a clean slate and see how the players play under Stubbs.
Someone like Craig is clearly a good SPL level player based on the evidence of previous seasons and his start for Hibs and I think we'll actually see a decent player next season - especially at Championship level.

I do however have strong reservations about him as a Captain as he had a tendency to hide as an individual when things were going badly.
That's something that is ingrained in an individual's character and that I don't think can be put down to playing in a team lacking confidence and playing under a manager with the tactical nous of a housebrick.

It was particularly evident whenever Thompson came on when it always looked like he was in charge rather than Craig although that may say more about Thompson than Craig.

It's also a worry that it suggests a lot about what signings we can expect.
I'd have expected us to be looking for a minimum of two senior pros and had that been the case I'd doubt the captaincy would have been announced.

Kato
18-07-2014, 02:19 PM
I would say the concept of the captain has potentially changed, but then what is a 'strong' captain anyway? I'm not criticising by the way, I just think it's an interesting debate. I look at a guy like Philip Lahm with Germany (now retired from international football BTW) and I don't see him as your traditional Butcheresque captain. However, he was part of a team with leaders all over the park, so what was his role as captain? A motivator? Not sure about that one. Leading by example in terms of taking responsibility? Definitely yes. A popular link between the coaching staff and the team? Probably, yes. As for Craig, I could see him potentially fulfilling the latter two aspects successfully at this level, not that I rate him hugely as a player.

Its horses for coures. If you have confident players throughout then a Captain leading by example would do. This season we need a figure respected by the players to do a lot of talking on the park.

Lord knows refs done us over a few times last season so someone who can stand up to their crap would help too.

We've been rolled over too often recently to imagine we don't really need someone for the Captains role.

hibsbollah
18-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Very very disappointed. He would have to undergo a Claros-type reversal of form for me to have any faith in him as captain or midfielder. Encapsulated everything that was wrong with us last season.

lord bunberry
18-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Very very disappointed. He would have to undergo a Claros-type reversal of form for me to have any faith in him as captain or midfielder. Encapsulated everything that was wrong with us last season.

If Claros did it then so can Craig hopefully. He is one of the most talented midfielders in the country, if we can get the best out of him we will have a very strong midfield next season.

GlenrothesHibee
18-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Excellent, proven player and captain for St Johnstone. He willl do very well for us in the right system. Really starting to look forward to this season

Aldo
18-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Hanlon would have been a better choice than lazyboy Craig. Mental decision.

This.

I cannot believe that he has been made club capt again following his performances last season.

Baldy Foghorn
18-07-2014, 06:26 PM
This.

I cannot believe that he has been made club capt again following his performances last season.

Everyone had a "clean slate" under Stubbs. Maybe LC looks really hungry in training?

Aldo
18-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Everyone had a "clean slate" under Stubbs. Maybe LC looks really hungry in training?

Yip maybe he did but folk are quick enough to slate others.

He was supposed to be club capt last season (or for most of it anyway) and hide for half a season. He doesn't deserve to be capt IMHO and should be nowhere near the jersey and team.

My opinion like.

I will say this that the team will get my full backing and if and it's a big IF Craig performs well this season I will be the first to say he did and proved me wrong but still think he should not be capt.

Jonnyboy
18-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Oh dear, much ado about nothing IMO. I don't care who the captain is as long as they perform well regularly and I've a feeling we'll see the LC we signed in the weeks ahead.

As an aside, are we the only club with both a Captain and an Admiral? :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
18-07-2014, 06:35 PM

He was supposed to be club capt last season (or for most of it anyway) and hide for half a season. He doesn't deserve to be capt IMHO and should be nowhere near the jersey and team.

My opinion like.

I will say this that the team will get my full backing and if and it's a big IF Craig performs well this season I will be the first to say he did and proved me wrong but still think he should not be capt.

I see your point Aldo, however is there anyone remaining from last Season, or indeed our two new recruits worthy of it?

Big_Franck
18-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Shocked at this decision. He showed last season that he doesn't have anywhere near enough heart, bottle or strength of character to be our captain.

Very, very hard to be optimistic about the season ahead at the moment.

Aldo
18-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I see your point Aldo, however is there anyone remaining from last Season, or indeed our two new recruits worthy of it? Tbh probably not BF. It's quite concerning really. I would still rather Hanlon got it.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Oh dear, much ado about nothing IMO. I don't care who the captain is as long as they perform well regularly and I've a feeling we'll see the LC we signed in the weeks ahead.
:

Me too, its only an armband

MWHIBBIES
18-07-2014, 06:54 PM

My opinion like.

I will say this that the team will get my full backing and if and it's a big IF Craig performs well this season I will be the first to say he did and proved me wrong but still think he should not be capt.Craig may not have played well but he never hid.

Aldo
18-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Craig may not have played well but he never hid.

Yet he seemed to be devoid of a fair amount of criticism unlike others.

Hid for me.

Big_Franck
18-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Couldn't disagree more. I watched him closely in the key games towards the end of the season and he hid more than any other player IMO.

JimBHibees
18-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I think we need to separate this season from last. It is now obvious the team was being run appallingly. Craig is a proven Top league player and like all he was being told to hoof when it didn't suit him. He is a confidence player and like all others were devoid of it. This season we will be playing a different style which will suit. It is a clean slate and he like all players need to be given a bit of slack. At his best he will score loads this season.

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 09:08 PM

He hid.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Couldn't disagree more. I watched him closely in the key games towards the end of the season and he hid more than any other player IMO.

Stalker! ;)

mentalhibee
18-07-2014, 09:21 PM
He hid.

Spot on, never a Hibs captain.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-07-2014, 09:24 PM
If we fail to get past this recycling of wallow I dispair - the broken record repeats...

IMO Put down to experience and move on, let the manager decide he carries the can.

Broken Gnome
18-07-2014, 09:31 PM
He hid.

He popped his head up to moan at refs and dive like a little pansy from time to time. Be fair.

jdships
18-07-2014, 09:34 PM
If we fail to get past this recycling of wallow I dispair - the broken record repeats...

IMO Put down to experience and move on, let the manager decide he carries the can.

:thumbsup:
At least they have found someone else than LS to tear to bits :rolleyes:

silverhibee
18-07-2014, 10:01 PM
He popped his head up to moan at refs and dive like a little pansy from time to time. Be fair.

I will give him that and looking at the ground a lot with one hand on his head and the other on his hip.

Devine
18-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Well put

MWHIBBIES
18-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Glad you are all getting right behind the team when they need it most.

Forza Fred
18-07-2014, 10:48 PM

I guess, when all the expectations abut players coming in are either met or not met, then the probability exists that what I see as the 'honeymoon' period for the new regime will be well and truly over.

While I am worried that we have not, and will not bring in sufficient decent players, there can be no excuses offered by the management team if we go down the tube.

They came in with a clean slate, knew exactly what had to be done, knew the expectations, and that surely included recruiting sufficient good players.

Stubbs will be judged, and rightly so, on what he achieves results wise with whatever squad of players he chooses to start the season with, whether they be all new, or whether there be numerous recycled players from last year.

Certainly some who played under Butcher are capable of playing to a better standard, but I guess the question we will see answered is ..by how much. and will it be enough?

chrisski33
18-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Craig will prove the doubters wrong and will shine rhis yr! Im hoping anyway!

sahib
18-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Craig will prove the doubters wrong and will shine rhis yr! Im hoping anyway!

I don't rate Craig, but as has been said everybody should start with a clean slate. It is a team game and most players look bad in a bad team, just as some players, who have looked good in successful teams are disappointing when they move on -especially when they come to us..

macd123
19-07-2014, 12:45 AM
He has stuck around whilst others have bailed. I think that tells you something.

Forza Fred
19-07-2014, 01:28 AM
He has stuck around whilst others have bailed. I think that tells you something.

That he can't get a better deal elsewhere?

neil7908
19-07-2014, 02:17 AM
I can see Craig coming into a game this year and if placed correctly on the pitch in a Hibs team playing decent football, I think he has the potential to do very well.

However, none of that makes me confident that he is someone with the required attributes to captain the club. A few seem to be suggesting that just being a ggood player is enough. For me the captain needs to do more than that. Craig failed to impress in the role last season. I think in an experienced squad that have been playing together for a while with no divisions in the team a captain is not that important.

We're a club with a hell of a job on our hands rebuilding to get back where we should be and I'm just not sure this is the right choice. Like another poster has said though I'll be the first to hold my hand up if proved wrong

HFC_NYC
19-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Give him a chance. New regime and all that.

basehibby
19-07-2014, 03:35 AM

:top marksCraig may have disappointed overall last season but he was not alone on the pitch or off it and it's a new division and a new gaffer - I hope he has the bit between his teeth to make up for his part in our relegation but we've got to give the guy a chance to do so without getting on his back before a balls been kicked in the new season.

weecounty hibby
19-07-2014, 05:28 AM

Well said. Some of the moaning and greetin on here is unbelievable. The negativity is unreal. We slate the jambos for having unachievable targets, Big team, 11000 STs, world cup stars. Well you know what, we need to be like that. Stop all the self pity, stop bringing down every potential signing as being pish, stop moaning every time the club/manager/shop/groundsman/sponsor/caterers/cleaners make a decision. Lets get on with it and start getting behind the club. You never know this group we have running the club just now might just know what they are doing

Ringothedog
19-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Well said. Some of the moaning and greetin on here is unbelievable. The negativity is unreal. We slate the jambos for having unachievable targets, Big team, 11000 STs, world cup stars. Well you know what, we need to be like that. Stop all the self pity, stop bringing down every potential signing as being pish, stop moaning every time the club/manager/shop/groundsman/sponsor/caterers/cleaners make a decision. Lets get on with it and start getting behind the club. You never know this group we have running the club just now might just know what they are doing

Agree,let's put last season behind us and look to a successful future.

Aldo
19-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Glad you are all getting right behind the team when they need it most.

Read my final paragraph.

staunchhibby
19-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Let's give the guy a chance and see how the season pans out.New manager with different methods of play :thumbsup:

Eyrie
19-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I rated Craig as a player until his performances under Butcher, and expect him to return to form with Stubbs in charge due to the change in style and back in his more familiar position.

Not convinced about him as a captain though. He didn't look to take responsibility or encourage teammates when things weren't going our way and the constant whining at referees was a case study in how not to win friends and influence people.

J-C
19-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Craig is a pretty good attacking midfielder who will get you around 8-10 goals a season, play him as an inside forward or in the whole and you'll see the best from his and for god sake take the captains band off him as he's never a captain his life.

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 10:14 AM

That nobody else wants him and we are stuck with him. Is that it.

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 10:17 AM
:top marksCraig may have disappointed overall last season but he was not alone on the pitch or off it and it's a new division and a new gaffer - I hope he has the bit between his teeth to make up for his part in our relegation but we've got to give the guy a chance to do so without getting on his back before a balls been kicked in the new season.

Let him start with a apology to the fans for his part in getting Hibs relegated last season.

Heisenberg
19-07-2014, 10:17 AM
St Mirren and St Johnstone wanted him didn't they? I'm sure i remember reading that at some point.

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 10:22 AM

That always happens from the Hibs support, we aren't the ones letting folk down every season.

timewilltell
19-07-2014, 10:38 AM

Well said!

Feed McGraw
19-07-2014, 10:41 AM
That always happens from the Hibs support, we aren't the ones letting folk down every season. Well said , there are many other " long suffering " supports in the world of football but very few as loyal as the Hibs support , which has come back every time. This time though, I think many of our " long suffering " brigade may have had enough and Hibs are not doing enough at this stage to get them back IMHO.

neil7908
19-07-2014, 10:59 AM
St Mirren and St Johnstone wanted him didn't they? I'm sure i remember reading that at some point.

Yup, Aberdeen were even mentioned at one point.

Onion
19-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Well said , there are many other " long suffering " supports in the world of football but very few as loyal as the Hibs support , which has come back every time. This time though, I think many of our " long suffering " brigade may have had enough and Hibs are not doing enough at this stage to get them back IMHO.

100% correct... but that just upsets those with their heads in the sand :wink: Unless Hibs manage to pull some big rabbits out of the hat, the stark reality of the first 3 or 4 games of the new season will hit them like a hammer to the head.

sahib
19-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Are you certain?

Lago
19-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Well said. Wish folks would get off the guys back.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Let him start with a apology to the fans for his part in getting Hibs relegated last season.

Unfortunately (IMO) much of what is said is lost or caught up in a crossfire of frustration to render such statements almost futile as it stirs up more than it resolves. I'm as scunnered as the next Hibby about the state we've resulted in but let's one more time get behind the team. I really thought after the May 19th debacle we'd hit a low but Hibs have ways of surpassing ourselves :(

Things are tighter this year for me and I'm away from home so an ST is not on the cards but I'll contribute when and how I can. This will be a trying season on a number of levels I hope we get out of the league but moreover I hope we reconnect and get OUR club back.

MWHIBBIES
19-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Let him start with a apology to the fans for his part in getting Hibs relegated last season.I don't feel he or any players need to apologize, they need to go out and make it right.

silverhibee
19-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I don't feel he or any players need to apologize, they need to go out and make it right.

They should be doing both.

Aldo
19-07-2014, 07:33 PM

^^^^^

This for me.

Eyrie
19-07-2014, 10:09 PM
There are plenty on here who are quick to criticise players for coming out with the usual bland platitudes when speaking to the media during a poor run of form, so why would a player making a public apology for relegation be treated any differently?

The place to make amends is on the pitch, with good performances that entertain us and get us back up in one season.

jay9968
19-07-2014, 10:21 PM
:bye:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27705499

Another who promised a lot, but under performed.

I hope we get rid he spent most of the latter part of last season in hiding what a joke of a player.

Hibeesmad
19-07-2014, 10:26 PM
I got told that St Mirren and St Johnstone put in a 'shocking' offer for him, basically trying to get him for nothing. I know he was bad last season but there is something there and I wouldn't let him go for nothing

Iggy Pope
20-07-2014, 08:12 AM
I hope we get rid he spent most of the latter part of last season in hiding what a joke of a player.

Oh dear. First post too.

lumbo_hfc
20-07-2014, 08:55 AM

He started off last season well, even though he was being played out of position. The latter part of the season he spent doing what the clown of a manager told him to do, usually resulting in him hooking it up the park towards collins. I think this, the fact he was made captain and with hibs constantly being over-run in the midfield effected his game massively. There is definitely a player in there if he can be used in the right way!

jacomo
20-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Well said , there are many other " long suffering " supports in the world of football but very few as loyal as the Hibs support , which has come back every time. This time though, I think many of our " long suffering " brigade may have had enough and Hibs are not doing enough at this stage to get them back IMHO.

If AS and LD do their jobs properly then the fans will come back. If Liam Craig starts performing as we know he can then he'll more than prove himself deserving of a second chance.

Having said, wouldn't surprise me if he's away before the end of August. I think other clubs will fancy him.

J-C
20-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Why wait 3 years to make your 1st post and then post this :confused:

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Joined three years ago and remained a sleeper hoping he would fool us :greengrin

Dave-O
20-07-2014, 10:52 AM

You might need to wait 3 years for your answer. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
20-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I still think Liam can be a good player for us. Played in the right position and playing with the confidence he was clearly missing last season he could still be a real asset. For me he needs to learn to shut up when decisions don't go his / our way and get on with the game, he spends far too much time moaning at refs.

As for apologies for last season. Any player still at Hibs who didn't feel bad about what happened will have that attitude knocked out of them when the pay slips start rolling in.

I'm with those who think that the best apology we can get is for the players remaining from last season to get their act together on the park and do everything they can to right the wrongs of that shameful attempt at being a football team. If they have any professional pride at all that should be their aim.

In that regard the first two games of the season could be the two most important games we play. If we were to lose to Livvy and get pumped at the Wongadome it will be a hell of a long road back. Beat Livvy and win at the Yams and the team will be full of confidence. For all that I could care about the challenge cup the fact that we have been handed a competitive game away to the Zombies before the league starts could be a real blessing in disguise* ..... just the sort of test the players need to get them attuned to the challenges to come.

* Went to the official site just to double check but cant find any mention of this fixture. Has it been cancelled ..... lol

Beefster
20-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Everyone at the club has already apologised.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140525/club-statement_2262950_3856324

silverhibee
20-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Everyone at the club has already apologised.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140525/club-statement_2262950_3856324

Sort of i suppose, it was an apology on the players behalf from the then manager, not an apology direct from our captain our other players.

But we move on if they can't be man enough to do it and hope they can redeem there self's in the new season ahead and get us promoted at the first time of asking.

Brightside
20-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Craig could boss this league this season. Looks like he want the ball all the time again.

hibsboy90
20-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Whilst Craig dominates the midfield in that he always wants the ball, he does nothing with it. It's as if he believes he has a cultured left peg like pirlo, but that is certainly not the case!

hfc rd
20-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Craig could boss this league this season. Looks like he want the ball all the time again.

Agree. Looks a completely different player than what he was under Butcher.

HoboHarry
20-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Whilst Craig dominates the midfield in that he always wants the ball, he does nothing with it. It's as if he believes he has a cultured left peg like pirlo, but that is certainly not the case!
Would you prefer we signed players with no self belief?

Christ :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
20-07-2014, 03:12 PM

More concerned that when things go badly he, along with others, disappears in to his shell. When we were leading 2-1 on agg in the play off and the team playing badly we really needed someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and pull the team through, we needed a captain.

He along with the other experienced players let us down badly last year which is why I hoped most of them would be on their way and replaced. Liam on the other hand though was and could be a great player for us but he needs to be in a team packed with leaders and quality and for me isn't a captain.

rcarter1
20-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Agree. Looks a completely different player than what he was under Butcher.

This is the big hope. Players that struggled last year like Harris, Craig, Forster, and Stanton to an extent, could really improve under good management.

whiskyhibby
20-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Jambo clown I think.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whiskyhibby
20-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Liam played well today always looking for the ball and playing a good link role from defence to the forwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Whilst Craig dominates the midfield in that he always wants the ball, he does nothing with it. It's as if he believes he has a cultured left peg like pirlo, but that is certainly not the case!You believe Pirlo is left footed, but that is certainly not the case either! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
20-07-2014, 06:04 PM

What a statement! On reflection do you REALLY go around with thoughts like that about our players?
I know they are not untouchable but Craig is a quiet unassuming guy from what I've seen I wonder if it's speculation or something more strongly founded that brings you to your conclusion....

Jonnyboy
20-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Time to get off his back I say. Yes he (and others) let us down last season but that's in the past and we should be looking forward IMO. LC was excellent today, all over the park and playing the part of a good captain.

I see no point in dwelling on what went before. It takes us nowhere and simply serves to prolong the negativity of Butcher's reign. LC and others are here for this season whether folk like it or not and so we should be supporting him and not talking him down all the time

(Kinda) rant over

emerald green
20-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Time to get off his back I say. Yes he (and others) let us down last season but that's in the past and we should be looking forward IMO. LC was excellent today, all over the park and playing the part of a good captain.

I see no point in dwelling on what went before. It takes us nowhere and simply serves to prolong the negativity of Butcher's reign. LC and others are here for this season whether folk like it or not and so we should be supporting him and not talking him down all the time

(Kinda) rant over

I agree with this. Craig is not a bad player IMO. He's not nearly the best I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey, and nor is he the worst by a long way.

Confidence plays a big part in how some players perform. Now that those two clowns Butcher & Malpas are away, maybe we will see much better performances from him, especially if the club can sign some decent players to play alongside him.

MrSmith
20-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Is Scott Robertson still with us?

Viva_Palmeiras
20-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Ding-ding... Next up!

JimBHibees
20-07-2014, 08:15 PM

(Kinda) rant over

Absolutely we really need to focus on this season not last. We have a new young manager who needs all the support he can get.

Sir David Gray
20-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Yes, he played today.

California-Hibs
20-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Craig is a very decent player! People need to remember just how good his form was with us shortly after he signed. Yes, it dipped big time the second half of the season, but when you have a manager in that doesn't have a clue how to play the game to your strengths, along with not installing any confidence in you whatsoever, then any players form is going to drop.

He proved it at St Johnstone for years, and he proved it the first half of the season for us. To retain him for the championship is a bit of a coup for us IMO.

I'm delighted he's still here, we'd be way worse off without him!

Lucius Apuleius
20-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Said it before and no doubt say it again. I would not have cared if every single person involved with Hibernian FC last season were emptied, and I include the favourites of Lewie and Hanlon and the rest. However, Stubbs has arrived and Leeann has arrived. Proverbial line in the sand has been drawn and whatever Stubbs says is ok for me at the minute (not that he will care what I think). We have just plaid four teams with the baw on the deck for virtually the whole games. We have not lost a goal and scored ten. I don't care who the opposition is, we are doing something right now. Are we perfect? Eh, naw! However I have seen enough to cheer me up a bit.

MrSmith
20-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Ding-ding... Next up!

?

edwards
20-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Said it before and no doubt say it again. I would not have cared if every single person involved with Hibernian FC last season were emptied, and I include the favourites of Lewie and Hanlon and the rest. However, Stubbs has arrived and Leeann has arrived. Proverbial line in the sand has been drawn and whatever Stubbs says is ok for me at the minute (not that he will care what I think). We have just plaid four teams with the baw on the deck for virtually the whole games. We have not lost a goal and scored ten. I don't care who the opposition is, we are doing something right now. Are we perfect? Eh, naw! However I have seen enough to cheer me up a bit.

Totaly agree :top marksStubbs and Leeann will hopefully will make a difference but while Petrie still remains I will not buy a season ticket but will pay at the gate. Went to the Dunfermline game and we dominated most of it and even Nelson tried to play the ball out of defence.
We have to try and back the team, I think there will be still a few new faces coming in. Will we sign the keeper we had today ???, we certainly could do with another forward as well, fingers crossed Stubbs will be able to sign a decent loan forward for the season.
And before anyone says anything about loans Griffiths was a loan remember.

PETRIE OUT

greenlex
20-07-2014, 10:18 PM

(Kinda) rant over Agree. I would just like to say some of his passes out wide today arrived at their destination above head height though. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
20-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Agree. I would just like to say some of his passes out wide today arrived at their destination above head height though. :greengrin

:greengrin

We clearly need taller wingers :greengrin

greenlex
20-07-2014, 10:20 PM
:greengrin

We clearly need taller wingers :greengrin :greengrin