PDA

View Full Version : Why are Hibs so bad ? - do we have a psychological problem ?

bilko
03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Why are Hibs so bad ?

A psychological perspective

In my previous post I offered a sociological perspective which explored why, for over a century Hibs had performed below the standard we could logically expect, suggesting reasons why we appear to have developed a culture with a “soft centre “

http://www.scotzine.com/2014/05/a-sociological-perspective-why-are-hibs-so-bad/

This time the aim is to explore some psychological theories which may explain some other “hidden influences” that may have affected Hibs performances. As with the sociological theory I’m afraid to say these also implicate all of us, the players, officials, managers, owners and fans in our present state of affairs.

We are all, during this period of soul searching, looking for answers as to why we are in our present predicament and perhaps it’s worth looking for clues among other professional sports clubs with similar record of fairly consistent failure.

Is it possible that Hibs have something in common the Chicago Cubs baseball team who despite being the 5th biggest franchise in US baseball are famed for their poor performances, they have not won the World Series in 100 years –sound familiar?

They are famous for performing consistently below expectations to the extent that over time they have been labelled with the nickname “the lovable losers”

“It’s (their stadium ) a shrine to losing…. It’s a tribute to 100 years of embarrassment, and it walks hand in hand with the definition of the Cubs.” (Fox sports MLB 22/4/2014)

“There is the mood of low expectations. … It doesn’t really matter if you win. CUBS SUCK, so what – they’re loveable losers. Relax and enjoy it. It is even enjoyable for the players - those loveable losers – for the pressure is off; they don’t have to worry about playing poorly” (psychology today april 23rd 2014)

So the theory here is that the reason for the Cubs/Hibs poor performances is that everyone involved has accepted that it’s ok to play badly because psychologically, deep down, we expect to play badly. There’s further evidence that from a psychological point of view we may actually be disappointed if we don’t do as we expect. Weird though it may sound, is it possible that subliminally we all find there is something inherently likeable about losing and that we all get some kind of psychological benefit from it ?.

“Is something similar going on with spectators? To pick a team that is known to lose is technically to anticipate a loss, but in a manageable, predictable way. There is no real loss to avoid; a win would merely be an unexpected bonus. Backing a more successful team raises the stakes by making wins just as viable as losses, so losing is more of a loss.
Teams like the Cubs/(Hibs) give people a safe space in which to lose. Fans get the benefits of commiseration without incurring any real costs. The predictable losers also allow other teams to win. (economist 14/7/2011)

In the recent book “Scorecasting” (Moskowwitz & Wertheim 2011,) the authors offer a range of theories relating to hidden influences in sport, some of which may partly explain the Cubs/Hibs phenomenon. They examine of the effect of “loss aversion” which is an economic principle that refers to people's tendency, if given the option, to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains —another sporting example of this would be when you have an 8 foot putt at golf you tend to go for the safety of two shots for a par rather than the more risky attempt at a birdie, (and the possibility of taking 3 (they show that even top professionals do this)
Is there an argument is that this is something that Cubs/Hibs fans have bought into along with everyone else involved with the club ? (hints here also perhaps of Mr Petries school of management)

So if you accept these theories apply at Hibs we really have got our work cut out – Not only do we appear with a few exceptions to have been pretty feeble for over 100 years but its possible we might actually get a perverse kind of pleasure out of it – !!!

“But, what makes Cubs/(Hibs) fans so unbearable is that they wear their failure like a badge of courage. They truly believe as if choosing this lifestyle makes them noble. They seem to think that since their team is historically rubbish, they are better fans than anyone else. …… that, apparently, is something to be proud of……. People gladly jump on to experience heartbreak and failure. Every. Single. Year. It's baffling.”
(www. cracked.com)

Despite the anger in the press and message boards over the last week or so - will we all go crawling back to Easter road again next season –even although you probably believe, and in fact deep down probably already know that when it comes to these crunch games against Hearts and Rangers we are likely to lose –because that’s what we expect

Be honest-do you recognise yourself ?

This all appears really depressing however these articles are genuine attempt to find an answer. There is something wrong at Hibs –the question is what.

As for poor old Mr Petrie whose become the scapegoat that everyone’s looking to blame, he has made a few cock ups over the years and given he has been around a long time and maybe a change would be good - but look at the infrastructure he’s created and didn’t we all think Butcher was good idea, didn’t we all think Sauzee was a brilliant idea and even Fenlon had a great record in Ireland.
There appears evidence that the problem could be much deeper and more complex than it first appears and that replacing any individual will make little difference. This problem (whatever it is) involves the fans as much as the players and owners.

We all have to take some responsibly if we are to get out of this mess

#2 Double Tap
03-06-2014, 06:40 PM
What a load of rubbish.

People don't chose Hibs - They are born Hibs.

Hibs have been crap because the decisions made by people in power (chairman and managers) have been bad over a number of years - The fans frustration is because of this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoefjox9U4

Waxy
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
It's a different slant on why we mostly underachieve.If its been ok to finish second as winning is not important, it hasn't seemed that way to me.
If thats how a percentage of our support feel, then it's time to stuff that and play to win.

Lewis77
03-06-2014, 06:57 PM
We do win things! One of the best days of my life, sad but true!

jacomo
03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
1. Thanks for the OP. Why not eh?

2. TBH I don't recognise the traits you describe as being typical of Hibs fans. Yes, we've underperformed (certainly in the past few decades) but I don't think Hibs fans self-identify as 'lovable losers', even sub-consciously. We seem very cross about failure.

3. It's a good point that most Hibs fans are born into it. I think others choose Hibs for all sorts of reasons - one of them is romantic notions about the club's history and past successes / notable achievements.

4. I've always thought of the Hibs support as volatile - glorious when doing well, angry when doing badly. As a group we do seem to react more dramatically to events... huge crowds to Cup Finals / Derbies etc, poor crowds when struggling.

5. Recently, at least, players and managers seem to have struggled to perform at an optimum level for us. Maybe this volatility has something to do with that?

6. 'Success' at Hibs is complex and hard to define. We demand good football as well as winning football, yet not everybody seems to understand what this even means. See West Ham and Sam Allardyce.

Malthibby
04-06-2014, 04:57 PM
From a ...ological perspective, Mrs. Bilko is gonna be looking for a good time elsewhere, given the endless hours
you are spending trying to explain why Hibs are so pash, so often.
I personally turn up to most games expecting to win, probably due to a memory fit for a guppy.
For your next perspective, may I suggest stoicism?
GG

Keith_M
04-06-2014, 05:01 PM
The fans must bear some of the responsibility? Sorry, but I couldn't possibly agree with that.

The winning culture must come from within the club. It is clear (and you suggested as much in your post) that Petrie does not have that winning culture. His acceptance of mediocrity permeates the club, as he is in charge of appointments and expectations.

The fact that so many fans want him gone is evidence that we are unsatisfied with this attitude/culture.

Kato
04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
There's an elephant in the room in the shape of the fact that the Cubs don't have a vampire like Old Firm presence, sucking the life force out of the sport and sickening every other club who have to share a League with them.

Islington Hibs
04-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I think the OP makes some interesting points- especially relating to his original article. Given the size of Hibs support the lack of success, especially over the last 30 years is becoming statistically improbable and does need some explaining. It seems to me since 1900 we have had too good spells- around 1900 and fairly consistently, with dips from 1950 to 1975. Since then very little indeed.We have clearly underperformed Celtic, Ranges Hearts, Aberdeen, DU and Motherwell over all consistent period.

I don't think the support expect failure but we get overly excited with a win and despondent if things go wrong. This comes from expectations and frustration. It leads to panics, short term measures and a lack of consistency. Defeat feeds on defeat.

I now live in England and for a long time I have thought the England team is a large example of the same neurosis that effects Hibs. 1966 has lead to absurd expectations and inevitable recriminations. Years of defeat have left England now having quite low expectations so they now have nothing to lose. Will be interesting to see how they get on this time.

Hearts, were for a long time a losers team. We stuffed them for best part of 15 years in a row, they lost every cup final, threw a league away etc etc. Eventually (and with some financial alchemy), the tide turned.

We are in a rut, angry, frustrated, insecure and short-termist. (and yes despite that I think Petrie is part of the problem and must go) but we do need to re-build from the bottom and regain slowly self belief and confidence. Perhaps it is darkest before the dawn.

Islington Hibs
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
There's an elephant in the room in the shape of the fact that the Cubs don't have a vampire like Old Firm presence, sucking the life force out of the sport and sickening every other club who have to share a League with them.

Oh and there is that too!

Waxy
04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
There's an elephant in the room in the shape of the fact that the Cubs don't have a vampire like Old Firm presence, sucking the life force out of the sport and sickening every other club who have to share a League with them.A good point.We have never won anything because we're not allowed to.The authorties who run the game in Scotland don't see our game as a sport.More a circus in which the rulers favorite Clubs/moneymakers must always win.The recent "the Rangers must stay in the SPL" as an example and Referee C thomson as another.

bilko
04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
From a ...ological perspective, Mrs. Bilko is gonna be looking for a good time elsewhere, given the endless hours
you are spending trying to explain why Hibs are so pash, so often.
I personally turn up to most games expecting to win, probably due to a memory fit for a guppy.
For your next perspective, may I suggest stoicism?
GG

Ouch !
However now that you mention it "Stoicism teaches the development of self-control and fortitude as a means of overcoming destructive emotions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion)" (wikipedia -stoicism) , there is plenty of the latter knocking around hibs at the moment so we are likely we need some of the former, but your right, too many hours wasted on whats probably a load of crap -time to move on

Lewis77
04-06-2014, 10:41 PM
I do think the club suffers from a negativity, that there is a bad Psyche within the clubs culture in relation to success. Nevertheless, not wishing to state the obvious, but that only changes with winning things, but then how do you change the club/team mentality in order that it starts to win.

A good example I can think of where a club turned itself around, having ground itself into a jaded cycle of underperformance, resulting in a negative culture at the club, would be Man Utd in the eighties.

When Fergie took over they were a Giant (the biggest crowds in England) which hadn't won the league for 20 years, with a drinking culture amongst the players.

It took fergie 6/7 years to win the league. My point being is it takes someone with real fire and vision in charge and even then time to turn a club around (If excessive/ludicrous amounts of money aren't in play).

So where does that leave us?

algraydog
31-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Very disappointing that admin saw fit to block this member's quite reasonable post regarding our frequently disappointing trips to hampden! Free speech...not a chance on hibs net .....:agree::agree::agree:

Bostonhibby
31-03-2016, 04:46 PM
It's a tough one to know the answer to, there are all sorts of syndromes about that affect peoples judgement / ability to do the right thing or even acknowledge a bad outcome. For example keeping and using money that was really meant for a charitable cause that you claim to support.

Hi Heid Yin
31-03-2016, 04:52 PM
:confused: I'm a little confused as to why a thread from 2014 has suddenly opened up again. The timing is suspect to say the least.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Anyone seen the film Moneyball?
A film around baseball I'm told. There's a good presentation on Vimeo that spends 5 mins on this.
It's about not spending money rather it's about spending money effectively.
Take the examples of Hearts last season versus The Rangers.
Hearts used/bought players that played as a team, were effective as team players they didn't rely on a star as such or overtly buy success. The Rangers on the other hand...

I think we've got the blend better this season. Nothing illustrates the individual star versus team player better than perhaps Scott Allan Versus John McGinn. MCGinn is more a team player whereas we probably relied more on Allan (as indeed we did Sparky) perhaps to the detriment of other players and consequently the team. Maybe this is where the flair versus effectiveness comes into play. Perhaps as romantics we focus less on effectiveness and more on the beautiful side of the game - and why not?!

Bostonhibby
31-03-2016, 04:56 PM
:confused: I'm a little confused as to why a thread from 2014 has suddenly opened up again. The timing is suspect to say the least.

Maybe the reopener of the thread has been worrying about it all this time? or are you suggesting darker forces are at play here?:greengrin

Pretty Boy
31-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Because the OP was banned recently after another 'Hibs are really crap' type post, it's pretty much all he ever wanted to say on here.

I'm assuming a friend or whatever has decided this was the best way to protest about that.

Anyway thread closed. Down with freedom of speech.