PDA

View Full Version : World Cup! Which team will you root for? England?

Lewis77
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
World Cup! Which team will you root for?

Since we're (by "we" I mean Scotland so apologies to the none Albannach) not there I'll be picking one or two teams to back for fun, will anybody else? Come on you know you will!

Personally I'm looking forward to watching an Argentina/Brazil final with Argentina winning it. I'd like to see Japan and South Korea do well also.

As for the question, what about england? Well I don't want them to utterly humiliate themselves. I don't want them to absolutely self-implode under the pressure of a british media that attempts to lord them over the rest of the world as a symbolic representation of football whilst exposing all manner of sordid sexual behavior by the players.

When I say I don't want them to humiliate themselves, it is funny when they do!

On a serious note, I would just like a classic world cup as the last one was pish. So I want to see the top players entertain, including Rooney.

HoboHarry
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
I would watch the Kazakhstan women's team play England at Tiddlywinks if I thought England were going to lose :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Germany, my wee boy is mega excited and can hardly wait for it to kickoff. We've got a sticker book from the local supermarket about Brazil and all the teams that are taking part. Normally get between 10-20 new stickers every time we shop.

Add to that there'll be open air screenings of all the games all over the city with the usual carnival atmosphere.

Don't think they'll get a sniff at it this time round but the longer they're still in it the longer the party goes on.

lucky
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
England for me

DC_Hibs
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
The Krauts. Lived in the Fatherland for nearly 6 years so throwing my weight firmly behind the Adolfs. Got a lot of respect for them.

Alles ausser Frankfurt ist scheisse.

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422867_2868537310680_981101423_n.jpg

Keith_M
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Germany, my wee boy is mega excited and can hardly wait for it to kickoff. We've got a sticker book from the local supermarket about Brazil and all the teams that are taking part. Normally get between 10-20 new stickers every time we shop.

Add to that there'll be open air screenings of all the games all over the city with the usual carnival atmosphere.

Don't think they'll get a sniff at it this time round but the longer they're still in it the longer the party goes on.

Stuff that, Paul, I want them to get humped at every turn.

They do my head in with their Fireworks every time they score a goal or win a game. I'm buying in extra doses of headache tablets, just in case they do well.

:wink:

p.s. To answer the OP's question, I shall be supporting Nigeria. Come one you Eagles!

Hibbyradge
01-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I won't be rooting for anyone unless I put bets on.

If I back England to win a game, I'll root for them to win. It's unlikely that they'll make the final, but if they do, and I bet them to win, I'll be rooting for them like there's no tomorrow.

I'm rooting for a draw in England's first 2 games so if they go behind, I'll be rooting for them to score.

If you say rooting enough, it just sounds sillier and sillier, by the way.

Mon the rooting.

Michael
01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
When there's no Scotland I support England. When there's no England or Scotland then Ireland (basically the nations I'd be eligible for if I wasn't crap at football). If none of the above then a cool nation like Germany or Netherlands.

Pretty Boy
01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Germany and England for me.

Always my go to teams in a big tournament if Scotland aren't there. It's far more fun watching if your 'supporting' someone imo.

Del Boy
01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Argentina or Italy. 2 great footballing nations.

Hope England get pumped in every game.

Hibrandenburg
01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
I won't be rooting for anyone unless I put bets on.

If I back England to win a game, I'll root for them to win. It's unlikely that they'll make the final, but if they do, and I bet them to win, I'll be rooting for them like there's no tomorrow.

I'm rooting for a draw in England's first 2 games so if they go behind, I'll be rooting for them to score.

If you say rooting enough, it just sounds sillier and sillier, by the way.

Mon the rooting.

I've got far too many English friends to allow me to root for England, instead I hope I'll be hooting at their expense :turnevil:

Hibrandenburg
01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Stuff that, Paul, I want them to get humped at every turn.

They do my head in with their Fireworks every time they score a goal or win a game. I'm buying in extra doses of heacahe tablets, just in case they do well.

:wink:

p.s. To answer the OP's question, I shall be supporting Nigeria. Come one you Eagles!

Pah, Nestbeschmutzer!!!!!!

The_Exile
01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Belgium, probably the uncoolest country to look for but they've got an utterly cracking team.

ekhibee
01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Dunno who I'd back outright, but there's some teams that I quite fancy in the early stages at decent prices, such as Ivory Coast and Chile. Chile are quite a good team IMO, reckon they'll give Spain and the Netherlands a tough time.

California-Hibs
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Anyone But England!

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Brazil and for work reasons will likely get pressured in to supporting the Engs until the penalty shoot out where I'll pray whilst making for the nearest tube like I did against Argentina (it worked)!

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
I won't be supporting England, but there is nothing to read into that. Doesn't make me anti-German or anti-Dutch if I wasn't following them either. I think the whole A.B.E thing is an easy media hit anyway.
Very hard to see past Brazil.

Billychaotic182
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Japan they have Pikiachu

Diclonius
01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
As none of "my" teams are represented using the grandparent rule (Scotland, Poland, Austria) I'll be cheering on Anyone But England. :aok:

(((Fergus)))
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing the wee England car flags cropping up down here, more and more as the hype builds, then "pooof" - they disappear like snow off a dyke. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Anyone who's playing against England.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Argentina .......... Just love the way their fans get into it in club matches and the fitba aint too shabby either. Bit of a Newells old boys fan for no reason whatsoever.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that most Scots have such a downer on the English national team when so many of us seem to wet oorsels over the EPL.

hibsbollah
01-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Two favourites:
Ivory Coast
South Korea

Also quite happy for:
France
Italy
Argentina
Belgium

To do well.

Scouse Hibee
01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
I'll settle for ENGLAND.

emerald green
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't give a s*** about the World Cup. Scotland aren't in it, yet again, and I won't be rooting for any of them.

Get ready to watch all the cheating and diving again too. Does my nut in.

Ryan69
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
It's gonna be Chile for me!

My girlfriend is originally from there,so at least I've got someone to support.
Got my top coming in the post also...:)

They actually have a pretty descent team too.

Devilstorment
01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
England

One Day Soon
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Italy for me always. Would totally lose my lunch if it could somehow be an Italy Brazil final and Italy could win it 4-1. Never forgotten the 1970 final and the bl00dy commentators.

After that I hope England do well.

Onceinawhile
01-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Belgium and ABE.

Scouse Hibee
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
This ABE team seem to qualify for most World Cups :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
abe

ekhibee
01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
It's gonna be Chile for me!

My girlfriend is originally from there,so at least I've got someone to support.
Got my top coming in the post also...:)

They actually have a pretty descent team too.

:top marks I've backed Chile in the group stages, hope they win. I've not got a team to back outright really, I'm Scottish through and through and my wife's half Austrian but you could do a lot worse than Chile, believe me.

ScottB
01-06-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm not fussed who wins, I'll just enjoy the tournament!

allezsauzee
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
I'll be cheering for whoever my money is on

weonlywon6-2
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I dont think there is as much hype around england as there usually is.
Young team but inexperience could count.They will no doubt lose a howler of a goal,they usually do.
I fancy the germans to be strong as they strolled past a decent england side 4-1 in the last tournament.
Dunno what to make of italy,there club football isnt strong just now and they could struggle

ekhibee
01-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I dont think there is as much hype around england as there usually is.
Young team but inexperience could count.They will no doubt lose a howler of a goal,they usually do.
I fancy the germans to be strong as they strolled past a decent england side 4-1 in the last tournament.
Dunno what to make of italy,there club football isnt strong just now and they could struggle

With England, if it comes to a penalty shootout they'll be packing their bags just after the group stages.

Haymaker
01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Will, for no reason other than I loved Marcelo Salas as a young'un, be following Chile.

EdinMike
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I always cheer for the Under Dogs... Unless England are the Under Dogs of course...

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
I think it would be quite impressive if West Ham won a second World Cup! :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Italy and ABE.

Keith_M
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
This ABE team seem to qualify for most World Cups :greengrin

TBF, they qualify a lot more than Scotland

:greengrin

p.s. I hope you enjoy the World Cup, right up until Germany put you out after a penalty shoot-out, as per usual :wink:

Haymaker
01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I think it would be quite impressive if West Ham won a second World Cup! :greengrin

:thumbsup: Always use that argument when my English friends get too mouthy.

"We've won a world cup"
"No, West Ham did."

And sit back and enjoy.

Gustavo Fring
01-06-2014, 07:31 PM
iran for me

Tricla
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Argentina .......... Just love the way their fans get into it in club matches and the fitba aint too shabby either. Bit of a Newells old boys fan for no reason whatsoever.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that most Scots have such a downer on the English national team when so many of us seem to wet oorsels over the EPL.

I cannae stand England or the EPL.

#2 Double Tap
01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Belgium

Hiber-nation
01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Anyone but England till they get knocked out then anyone but Brazil.

Scouse Hibee
01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
TBF, they qualify a lot more than Scotland

:greengrin

p.s. I hope you enjoy the World Cup, right up until Germany put you out after a penalty shoot-out, as per usual :wink:

Hibs had never lost a penalty shoot out or so I'm told, maybe it's time for England to win one :greengrin

AndyM_1875
01-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I honestly couldn't care less about the World Cup.

Sorry likes....

Just_Jimmy
01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Colombia.

Stax
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I'll watch it and enjoy it as a neutral. The closer it gets the more pissed off I am tbh, honestly think we could have been there if 4-6-0 Levein had been emptied earlier. Don't feel any animosity to England just indifference because they're not my team. Maybe an age thing but the A.B.E thing's worn off with me now.. Mind you a couple of weeks of Adrian Durham and the like on talksport might bring old giruy feelings back :greengrin

Deansy
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Belgium.

Makaveli
01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I'll be behind Italy as always.

As for England, I quite like Hodgson but I'm sure I'll still manage to enjoy watching them getting pumped.

pontius pilate
01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Belgium
USA
not got much interest in it could be due to the timings of the games on tv if the confeds cup is to go by

pontius pilate
01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Belgium
USA
not got much interest in it more to do with the tv schedule if the confed cup is to go by

Soldiersteve
01-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I can't be doing with this ABE sh**

Genuinely hope they do well.

yeezus.
01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm half English so I hope they do well. I don't want them to win the World Cup and ultimately think they will end their group on 4 points.

I'm rooting for Nigeria due to the fact that as a youngster my defensive skills led to me being called "Taribo".

C'MON THE SUPER EAGLES :flag:

GoldenMeerkat
01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Holland.

hfc rd
01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Would like to see an African team have a good run.

Causeway Corner
01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
I ll wait to see who plays the best football. France Holland Spain have that potential, Brazil don't appear to have any in form strikers, Argentina could be brilliant but tend to cheat a lot.
The last World Cup was ruined by the ball they used and these annoying horns. This could be a classic on par with Mexico 1970

Scottie
01-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Surprised to see so many People rooting for Engerland
Hope they win it as it will be a definite YES vote on independance after they go OTT on the celebrations. Doon here they are already in the semi's.

For me Belgium. Shows us all what a small nation can do with correct coaching.

Nameless
01-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Germany and Colombia. If all the Everton contingent play, then England and Belgium too.

PerfectlyFranck
01-06-2014, 10:39 PM
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/MonDieuHibs/TBEMonDieucartoon_zps432de36c.png​

& Japan, followed by whichever team is playing the most entertaining football.

Peevemor
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
After 10 years away from the British media, I have to admit that my ABE sentiment is fading - I'm probably more 'anyone but France' now. In saying that, once it all kicks off I'll most likely revert back to form, so I'll split my support between ABE and ABF.

gorgie greens
01-06-2014, 11:22 PM
For me its anyone but england,cant stand them and what they stand for,couple o English mates and as much as i like them,the sooner i can sing "Englands going home"the better

Its an Aye for me

JohnStephens91
02-06-2014, 01:17 AM
My national team already made it there, the USA - the might Stars and Stripes. Going to be a tough group with Ghana, our bogey team, a strong German side, although they did labour to a draw against Cameroon, and Portugal, who obviously have the current best player in the world.

Once the USA go out, I will just be a neutral and enjoy the games, but I can see the USA getting out of the group.

For Scottish interest in the USA - Bertie Vogts works as a special advisor to Jurgen Klinsmann.

basehibby
02-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Surprised to see so many People rooting for Engerland
Hope they win it as it will be a definite YES vote on independance after they go OTT on the celebrations. Doon here they are already in the semi's.

For me Belgium. Shows us all what a small nation can do with correct coaching.

:agree: Perplexing - I'm going to root for Italy - because they're playing against Engerland and I like Pasta.

Hibercelona
02-06-2014, 02:35 AM
Whoever happens to be playing England on any given day. The bigger/better nations will show them up as they always do.

Sylar
02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Uncle Sam's Army as ever! :thumbsup:

Gettin' Auld
02-06-2014, 06:15 AM
I'll probably support the underdog during most games, with the exception of england and america. Two underdogs that i'll never tire of seeing lose.

PeeJay
02-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Hope England do well, but don't expect them to get too far, like to see Germany make it at least to the final, not convinced that they have what it takes to actually win it though ... don't really care about anybody else - Here's to an enjoyable tournament with some great footballing moments ...

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2014, 06:33 AM
ABE, just to annoy each and every English person i know. Especially those who have taken the piss since black Sunday.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-06-2014, 06:39 AM
Seems now that the english media are wanting the team to belt out some song about supporting a long outdated monarch, they really do get on my tits.

ABE

Forza Fred
02-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Australia,naturally

But I'm afraid they are so bad this time it's a case 'home before their emails' never mind postcards

Steve20
02-06-2014, 06:58 AM
I'll be rooting for Brazil, as I've got money on them to win it.

As for England? Not bothered either way but they won't get that far as they're not good enough.

Septimus
02-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Hibs had never lost a penalty shoot out or so I'm told, maybe it's time for England to win one :greengrin

Did we not lose against Leeds in a penalty shoot out. Seem to remember that we played then off the park and then Pat Stanton missed the first penalty.

hibsbollah
02-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Did we not lose against Leeds in a penalty shoot out. Seem to remember that we played then off the park and then Pat Stanton missed the first penalty.

Correct. The stat (before the accies debacle) is we HAD never lost a shootout against Scottish opposition. 7 wins 0 losses iirc.

easty
02-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Australia,naturally

But I'm afraid they are so bad this time it's a case 'home before their emails' never mind postcards

I read somewhere someone tipping up the bet 'Australia not to score a goal'. Can't remember the price if it though.

twiceinathens
02-06-2014, 07:47 AM
In a tournament where Scotland are not involved (again!!) I am interested in the quality of the football. As for ABE it's pretty irrelevant but certainly see no reason to be expected to actively "support" our neighbours.

Forza Fred
02-06-2014, 08:03 AM
I read somewhere someone tipping up the bet 'Australia not to score a goal'. Can't remember the price if it though.

Probably me.

Get on it.

Saint Hibee
02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
As an Englishman, I guess it has to be England. But the team I'm actually excited about watching is Chile. Vidal, Sanchez, and Valdivia all have the potential to be big, big names at this world cup.

NOLA
02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
im rooting for France,Germany and just because of Sofia Vergara - Colombia :greengrin

boab1875
02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I honestly couldn't care less about the World Cup.

Sorry likes....

you sound like a real bundle of joy eh.

I'll be backing whoever my money is on and supporting maximum pain for our arrogant southern neighbours. going out on pens against the Germans would be nice.

KingFranck
02-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Has to be Honduras c'mon Claros !

erin go bragh
02-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Ill be shouting for every team that plays England . Think Belgium could be dark horses but cant see a European side winning it with the climate , so its Brasil or Argentina for me .
Ggtth

IWasThere2016
02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
ABE and Argentina is where the wager is!

mmmmhibby
02-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Used to like Gabriel Bastituta years ago, what a goalscorer!! So Argentina. Wouldn't mind seeing England beat Germany if they play each other at some point.

Mr Grieves
02-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Bosnia. Travelled there a couple years ago and it's a cracking place.

And Honduras, simply because I like Jorge Claros.

hibee_nation
02-06-2014, 12:02 PM
ABE and Germany as they hate getting beat by them. :aok:

surreyhibbie
02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Hoping England do okay, if only to get a few more punters in the club i help to run, to watch it on the big screen.

Would hate them to win it, obviously, but semis would do i suppose..

Other than that i will just enjoy the games.

GavinHarris 10
02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
It's got to be Honduras. With Jorge Claros in the squad who else could you support. Little bit of me with Ivory Coast. Considering Bamba sill plays for them.

Gus
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Scotland.........oh hang on

18Craig75
02-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Going for the Aussies! Don't hold out much hope for them though.

Will also be keeping a keen eye out for Jorge, although seeing him play will prob just make me depressed that Hibs let him go back without too much of a fight!

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Surprised to see some folk on here (this a forum for football fans after all) saying they couldn't care less about the World Cup :confused:

Lewis77
02-06-2014, 07:15 PM
250/1 Just thinking the South American heat will suit them. I may have a sly fiver as a long shot?

WeeRussell
02-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Usually support Spain (as Scotland aren't usually there) but cheering on the Argies for Messi this year... oh and that's where my money is going. Still not having Brazil as favs.. not the samba team they used to be, even if they are holding it!

And of course ABE - people making out we're racist/bitter/pathetic for supporting whoever plays them just makes me want to do it all the more :greengrin

few mentions of bets - couple of nice offers. Betbright.com £25 on outright winner and get a free fiver bet everytime they win a game!! Also the same offer for top golascorer - free fiver bet everytime he scores (Messi and Argentina duly punted for both) Betbright also have decent enough offers for opening accounts.

Skybet also refunding up to £25 in free bet if you back someone (other than Brazil) outright and Brazil wins it.

I'll also be having a dabble on Messi/Argentina at 16s :cb

Hibrandenburg
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Surprised to see some folk on here (this a forum for football fans after all) saying they couldn't care less about the World Cup :confused:

Why!

I couldn't give a hoot about the English Premiership, the German Bundesliga or the Champions League.

It's a Hibs forum and the common denominator is Hibs not football. If you've been in Edinburgh for the last seven years Scouse then you should know that Hibs have **** all to do with football.

SuperAllyMcleod
02-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I saw France on Sunday and as they have decided to wear the Sotland strip I think it's only right that I should support them.

Judging by their performance against Paraguay, I think they're going to need all the support they can get.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Why!

I couldn't give a hoot about the English Premiership, the German Bundesliga or the Champions League.

It's a Hibs forum and the common denominator is Hibs not football. If you've been in Edinburgh for the last seven years Scouse then you should know that Hibs have **** all to do with football.

You know why, it's pretty obvious! Been in Edinburgh for 22 years, most football fans like watching errrrrrrr football!

yeezus.
02-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Why!

I respect that and agree completely. Usually when people ask me who is going to win the Barclays Premier League I tell them I couldn't care less.

yeezus.
02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
250/1 Just thinking the South American heat will suit them. I may have a sly fiver as a long shot?

Was it the 2002 World Cup they performed really well and got to the QF? Maybe worth £1.

ballengeich
02-06-2014, 11:13 PM
France for me as some of my ancestors came from there.

PatHead
02-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Abe

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Spain and Belgium

PeeJay
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Maybe because Scottish teams are so poor currently, both national and international that's it's possibly best to feign disinterest until the Scottish game picks up again, if ever ... particularly as the English (who as everyone on here knows are absolutely terrible, even though they qualified yet again) are involved and we are not?

FWIW I don't really care who wins the EPL or the Bundesliga (although I prefer ABB) the Champions League or even the World Cup - yet, I quite look forward to watching as many of the games in Brazil as possible.

Kato
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
England for me.

BoltonHibee1875
03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
ABE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidjames
03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Its a toughie for me. I have so many petty prejudices built up over the years.

I had an Argentinian neighbour who played Bob Marley too often.so they're out obviously.

I paid 7 euros for a coffee in Paris, and well the French in general! And so on.

I do quite like England ( I married 2 and entertained many more.) But in any conversation they always mention how much their house is worth. So......

The Spanish come out quite well. But they don't know how to approach roundabouts really. I might go for Germany. Decent beer and there was this Fraulien once........

Golden Bear
03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Never thought I'd ever say this, and there's no doubt I've been influenced by the referendum debate, so it's England for me.

emerald green
03-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Pat hit the post with his pen mate. Lost 5-4 on pens after 0-0. Travesty that night. Billy Bremner saved Leeds from a hammering.

Hibeesmad
03-06-2014, 06:41 PM
£10 double on Argentina to win the World Cup and Aguero to be the tournaments top goalscorer

Lewis77
03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
£10 double on Argentina to win the World Cup and Aguero to be the tournaments top goalscorer

I have £10 on Argentina and £5 on South Korea. I was gunna stick some money on Belgium but Fellaini is F***ing useless!

Holmesdale Hibs
03-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I'll see who I get in the office sweep stake.

It's difficult to care when Scotland aren't in it although I'll still watch some of it. I've lived down south for a while now so I hope England do ok and there's a bit of atmosphere in the office. I've never seen such a lack of build up (probably for a good reason but it's never stopped them before).

weonlywon6-2
03-06-2014, 07:55 PM

I had an Argentinian neighbour who played Bob Marley too often.so they're out obviously.

I paid 7 euros for a coffee in Paris, and well the French in general! And so on.

I do quite like England ( I married 2 and entertained many more.) But in any conversation they always mention how much their house is worth. So......

The Spanish come out quite well. But they don't know how to approach roundabouts really. I might go for Germany. Decent beer and there was this Fraulien once........

I like this way of working it out !

Dashing Bob S
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
One would have to say either; Spain, Germany, USA, Italy, France, Netherlands, Nigeria, Brazil and Columbia, as I have had the good fortune to make love to women from each of those countries.

One must discount England, as I married one of them.

SuperAllyMcleod
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM

At least you have given it some thought and not rushed into making a decision :greengrin

sidjames
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;4046665]One would have to say either; Spain, Germany, USA, Italy, France, Netherlands, Nigeria, Brazil and Columbia, as I have had the good fortune to make love to women from each of those

Ah yes. The best little whorehouse in Texas. The early bird special is great value.

Hibernia Na Eir
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
A.b.e.

ekhibee
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Never thought I'd ever say this, and there's no doubt I've been influenced by the referendum debate, so it's England for me.
I've been influenced by Farage and UKIP, hope England get stuffed in every game.

Glory Lurker
03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
England are welcome to do fine if they like. Good luck to them. Just looking forward to non-Hibs connected football.

The Pointer
03-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't give a s*** about the World Cup. Scotland aren't in it, yet again, and I won't be rooting for any of them.

Get ready to watch all the cheating and diving again too. Does my nut in.

Couldn't agree more. Would never support England, and all the Latin teams, despite their talents, are just a bunch of diving, cheating *ds if things aren't going their way. The Gerries only cheer when they're told to, the Dutch kicked everyone off the park the last time but if Sweden were in it I would support them, but they're not, so I can't.

DH1875
04-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Whatever one the TV cameras are showing the most Latina's from. God do I love Latin wowmen :)

Hibrandenburg
04-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Whatever one the TV cameras are showing the most Latina's from. God do I love Latin wowmen :)

Never understood that, Teutonic wenches who don't need a lawn mower to keep the bikini line in order is the way to go.

Kato
04-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Billy Bremner saved Leeds from a hammering.

...and the linesman saved them from a 1-0 defeat after disallowing Alan Gordn's header.

Spike Mandela
04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I will watch and enjoy the World Cup. With Scotland out I will just watch the games and in each game there might be a team I kind of want to win or maybe not. Usually I start rooting for a team if I like certain players, like the way they play, like the way the fans are or just like the story of their World cup as it builds.

I have always hated the notion that some people think that because Scotland isn't there you should be rooting for another British team. That's just nonsense. Anybody with even a wee bit of a love for football understands that if your team say Hibs aren't in a certain competition you don't automatically start supporting a team from the same city who happen to be your biggest rivals. Some might but that is their perogative not some unwritten rule.

At the moment I only hope it is a great World Cup with some classic memorable games. I thought South Africa was a bit of a damp squib.

GlenrothesHibee
04-06-2014, 10:26 AM
World Cup! Which team will you root for?

Since we're (by "we" I mean Scotland so apologies to the none Albannach) not there I'll be picking one or two teams to back for fun, will anybody else? Come on you know you will!

Personally I'm looking forward to watching an Argentina/Brazil final with Argentina winning it. I'd like to see Japan and South Korea do well also.

As for the question, what about england? Well I don't want them to utterly humiliate themselves. I don't want them to absolutely self-implode under the pressure of a british media that attempts to lord them over the rest of the world as a symbolic representation of football whilst exposing all manner of sordid sexual behavior by the players.

When I say I don't want them to humiliate themselves, it is funny when they do!

On a serious note, I would just like a classic world cup as the last one was pish. So I want to see the top players entertain, including Rooney.

Id prefer them to humilliate themselves

emerald green
04-06-2014, 05:46 PM
...and the linesman saved them from a 1-0 defeat after disallowing Alan Gordn's header.

:agree: Some things never change as far as Hibs and dodgie linesmen are concerned mate. Alan Gordon's perfectly good headed goal that night, Jordan Forster's perfectly good headed goal at the PBS 40 odd years later.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
The Gerries only cheer when they're told to

Probably just following orders! :-o

nomad
04-06-2014, 06:35 PM
England for me
Really. Oh better together then silly me!!

heretoday
04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I turned on the WC match tonight to be met with the usual media suspects talking balls as usual.

And the commentator? Clive Tyldesley - a nasty, sardonic type who likes it when his team are doing badly.

I don't think I'll be able to sustain much enthusiasm.

Golden Bear
04-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I've just watched the second half of England v Ecuador. The game finished 2-2 with some good football on display. Valencia and Sterling were involved in a flare up which ended in both players being red carded.

Albanian Hibs
04-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Braaaaazil!!!

Jim44
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I've just watched the second half of England v Ecuador. The game finished 2-2 with some good football on display. Valencia and Sterling were involved in a flare up which ended in both players being red carded.

Sterling put in a ridiculous red card challenge and Valencia reacted violently. The English pundits said that Sterling was sent off because of Valencia. Eh no, it was a red-card tackle.

Golden Bear
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Sterling put in a ridiculous red card challenge and Valencia reacted violently. The English pundits said that Sterling was sent off because of Valencia. Eh no, it was a red-card tackle.

Correct. The old Man U / Liverpool rivallry is never far away.

Kato
04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
:agree: Some things never change as far as Hibs and dodgie linesmen are concerned mate. Alan Gordon's perfectly good headed goal that night, Jordan Forster's perfectly good headed goal at the PBS 40 odd years later.

Could you appease my dodgy marbles - was Alan Gordon's "goal" from a corner?

Speedy
04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Whoever I get in the sweep.

Turkish Green
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Brasil will be under immense pressure and they may buckle under it. I will opt for Spain again.

trev the hat
04-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Hope to see Claros play some game time v England at weekend.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 09:43 PM

I thought it was a really bad tackle when I first saw it live and wasn't surprised he was sent off. You wouldn't have thought that listening to the commentators though!

Valencia's reaction was over the top though and he had to go as well.

Ref got both decisions correct.

HibsMax
04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
USA to win the Group of Death. :)

Dashing Bob S
04-06-2014, 09:47 PM

As they say in ringing endorsement...this.

JJP
04-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Argentina and Germany because the English media hate em. But ABE really.

ekhibee
05-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Just watched highlights of England v Ecuador. Really good finish from Lambert and an excellent second goal by Ecuador. Although I won't be supporting England in the World Cup, I like Lambert, he's worked hard for a chance like this and deserves it.

HibbySpurs
05-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Not really fussed but will enjoy the tournament for what it is....

However forthe first time in my life I wouldnt mind seeing Engerland do OK and the Republic as well, home nations etc..... Not sure I'd like Engerland to win it as the media would be unberable (even more so than now).........

Think Russia could surprise a few and could well pip Belgium to be winners of group H.....

Pete
05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Not too bothered how England do as it won't really effect us. There's actually a buzz about the place whenever they get far in tournaments. Pubs are busier, more people are out and about when their matches are on and there's wall to wall discussions about the tournament (which is better than Corrie on the TV and one direction on the radio). Things tend to peter out when they go out.

Actually, hope they do well and get to the semis or even the final. They won't win it though and will probably go out at the quarters but like I said, whatever they do won't effect us.

Even if they do win we can celebrate Britain winning the thing. They were quick enough to join in when a Scotsman won Wimbledon so can't we do the same?:greengrin

Glorious St Pat
05-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Not too bothered how England do as it won't really effect us. There's actually a buzz about the place whenever they get far in tournaments. Pubs are busier, more people are out and about when their matches are on and there's wall to wall discussions about the tournament (which is better than Corrie on the TV and one direction on the radio). Things tend to peter out when they go out.

Actually, hope they do well and get to the semis or even the final. They won't win it though and will probably go out at the quarters but like I said, whatever they do won't effect us.

Even if they do win we can celebrate Britain winning the thing. They were quick enough to join in when a Scotsman won Wimbledon so can't we do the same?:greengrin

Jeez...is this post for real?

I hope you were joking about we can celebrate Britain winning the thing.

Gus
05-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Jeez...is this post for real?

I hope you were joking about we can celebrate Britain winning the thing.

Why would he be joking?

Take it you wouldn't be chuffed then?

emerald green
05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Could you appease my dodgy marbles - was Alan Gordon's "goal" from a corner?

My memory is a bit hazy mate, but I don't think it was from a corner as it was chalked off for offside by the referee. A terrible decision it was felt by most folk at the time.

Attendance that night 36,051, not counting all the kids lifted over. Changed days.

Glorious St Pat
05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Why would he be joking?

Take it you wouldn't be chuffed then?

Eh, no!

Its bad enough the biased media keep ramming down 1996 at every opportunity for them to do so again ad finitum...

--------
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Eh, no!

Its bad enough the biased media keep ramming down 1996 at every opportunity for them to do so again ad finitum...

They do it about 1966 as well. :wink:

Very hard to really enjoy a World Cup or Euro Championship until Engerlund are on the plane home. I always have a soft spot for the Azzurri.

Lewis77
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Eh, no!

I started this thread and summarised the opening post by saying I just wanted a great world cup with all the top players entertaining/performing including Rooney, which is true! Nevertheless, when I think of England winning this world cup, well that sends a shudder through me! I'm not England bashing here, but I categorically 100 % do not want England to win it.

Can you imagine how intolerable the media would be then?

Glorious St Pat
05-06-2014, 07:43 PM
They do it about 1966 as well. :wink:

Very hard to really enjoy a World Cup or Euro Championship until Engerlund are on the plane home. I always have a soft spot for the Azzurri.

Ooopps...my mistake. I too will be following the Italians due to nonna and nonno!

--------
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Ooopps...my mistake. I too will be following the Italians due to nonna and nonno!

No country that produced Cesare Borgia, Niccolo Macchiaveli, and Gentile, Baresi and Bergomi can be all bad.

Oh, and Cecilia Bartoli. MMMM. :devil:

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I started this thread and summarised the opening post by saying I just wanted a great world cup with all the top players entertaining/performing including Rooney, which is true! Nevertheless, when I think of England winning this world cup, well that sends a shudder through me! I'm not England bashing here, but I categorically 100 % do not want England to win it.

Can you imagine how intolerable the media would be then?

No I couldn't, please enlighten me. I just imagined the media coverage of any nation that won the World Cup would be at saturation point for days after the event and then remind you of the win whenever they could.

Just Alf
05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
As mentioned in other threads I have a quite large family who would call themselves English.

During past and current world cups I've always "supported" Engerland in Games until they got near a cup etc, when I was with family down south I was the total opposite and, as per the Andy Murray wind up, I support whoever England are playing... I've had some reLly good nights :-)

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2014, 07:58 PM
As mentioned in other threads I have a quite large family who would call themselves English.

During past and current world cups I've always "supported" Engerland in Games until they got near a cup etc, when I was with family down south I was the total opposite and, as per the Andy Murray wind up, I support whoever England are playing... I've had some reLly good nights :-)

:greengrin :aok:

--------
05-06-2014, 08:01 PM
No I couldn't, please enlighten me. I just imagined the media coverage of any nation that won the World Cup would be at saturation point for days after the event and then remind you of the win whenever they could.

Yup. But Brazil and Argentina and Italy aren't right in our faces all the time.

And we don't have to listen to their commentators bumming them up all through the tournament, distorting what's happening on the field to make them look good. I give whoever's commentating on England's opening match about a minute and a half before he mentions 1966.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2014, 08:07 PM

And we don't have to listen to their commentators bumming them up all through the tournament, distorting what's happening on the field to make them look good. I give whoever's commentating on England's opening match about a minute and a half before he mentions 1966.

Is that it..............................that old chesnut! Deary me some sensitive souls may be offended :wink: And I hope we don't have to wait a minute and a half far toooooooooooooooo long.

TheReg!
05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I want England to get to the semi's and loose on a controversial decision like a hand ball goal:cb
But seriously, I like it when they get quite far as it's a great feeling when they get pumped late on in the tournament.

Germany to to win the WC.

Just Alf
05-06-2014, 08:26 PM

I won £100 a good few years ago on a Wee bet where we bet upon on an international game (no UK countries involved) how long into the game the commentators would take before they mentioned England/World Cup .... I said 4 minutes :-)

TRC
05-06-2014, 09:52 PM
My teams go Scotland Sweden (wife) Germany (step dad) so for obvious reasons its Germany although would like to Belgium do well. As for England I don't get bothered by all their media hype they haven't had a good enough squad since 1990 even then they didn't really have a squad to beat the better teams in the tournam . 1966 must have been a fix only team that has ever played at home and played all their games in their 'home' venue. Their goal was never a goal either.

Gus
05-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I always find it amusing when the Scottish go on about the media. Do you think the Spanish media are any different over there the last few years??

Crumbs I am confident the Scottish media would be foaming at the gash if u just came close to qualifying for a major tournament

neilmartinrocks
05-06-2014, 10:01 PM

FORZA ITALIA!!
Be rooting for the Azzuri myself being Scots/Italian.

Speedy
05-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Whoever I get in the sweep.

Portugal it is.

McSwanky
05-06-2014, 10:06 PM
I always find it amusing when the Scottish go on about the media. Do you think the Spanish media are any different over there the last few years??

Crumbs I am confident the Scottish media would be foaming at the gash if u just came close to qualifying for a major tournament

What do you mean by 'the last few years?' You mean when Spain has actually been successful? As opposed to England who haven't been successful since, oh, 1966 or so? And yet every 2 years they're touted as possible winners?

Having said that, the bookies have it about right this time at 30/1 ish. Reckon they'll be pulling in a lot of mugs at that price!

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2014, 10:11 PM
What do you mean by 'the last few years?' You mean when Spain has actually been successful? As opposed to England who haven't been successful since, oh, 1966 or so? And yet every 2 years they're touted as possible winners?

Having said that, the bookies have it about right this time at 30/1 ish. Reckon they'll be pulling in a lot of mugs at that price!

I know England are not good enough to win it so I use the yardstick of actually qualifying for the finals to measure their success. Another World Cup another England success.....................it keeps me happy so why not. :greengrin

McSwanky
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
I know England are not good enough to win it so I use the yardstick of actually qualifying for the finals to measure their success. Another World Cup another England success.....................it keeps me happy so why not. :greengrin

Nice one, an English realist! Wish we could use a similar yardstick for Scotland....

--------
05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Is that it..............................that old chesnut! Deary me some sensitive souls may be offended :wink: And I hope we don't have to wait a minute and a half far toooooooooooooooo long.

It may not be the same for people younger than my generation, but I grew up at the time when the matches between Scotland and England were the most important international matches of the season. Derby matches, in fact.

So I guess I still see England as the international equivalent of the Yams or the Huns or the Soapdodgers.

And many of their fans and mediavolk likewise. :devil:

So ABE's my desired outcome every time.

cad
06-06-2014, 12:00 AM
The Belgians for me think they could do awfi well ,

Kato
06-06-2014, 09:18 AM
My memory is a bit hazy mate, but I don't think it was from a corner as it was chalked off for offside by the referee. A terrible decision it was felt by most folk at the time.

Attendance that night 36,051, not counting all the kids lifted over. Changed days.

Cheers. My marbles seem to remember it was from a corner, which would make the decision all the more galling.

heretoday
06-06-2014, 09:28 AM
At this stage I couldn't give a monkey's about the World Cup, although I suspect that may change come the later rounds. I hope England, and their fans, don't disgrace themselves.

No doubt the media will loov it if they do.

My summers are for golf, tennis and baseball from the U.S.

After last season, I just want to put football on the shelf for a bit.

Keith_M
06-06-2014, 09:30 AM

OK, I'll see if I can help.

Media coverage in other countries is not the same, as there is only one footballing 'nation' in each. So when the Media go 'over the top' for their nation, it's no big deal, as they're all on the same page. This is obviously quite different in the UK, as there are four footballing 'nations'. One of those 'nations' is much bigger than the others and is where the media is based. They naturally aim that coverage to the largest part of the audience, England.

However, loads of supporters of the other 'nations' consider England to be a rival in a football sense, almost in the same was as we view Hearts and you view Everton. This means that those of us that think that way really don't want to watch two to three weeks of biased, psycophantic coverage of a rival football team in our own country.

Is that really so difficult to understand?

Kato
06-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Media coverage in other countries is not the same, as there is only one footballing 'nation' in each. So when the Media go 'over the top' for their nation, it's no big deal, as they're all on the same page. This is obviously quite different in the UK, as there are four footballing 'nations'. One of those 'nations' is much bigger than the others and is where the media is based. They naturally aim that coverage to the largest part of the audience, England.

However, loads of supporters of the other 'nations' consider England to be a rival in a football sense, almost in the same was as we view Hearts and you view Everton. This means that those of us that think that way really don't want to watch two to three weeks of biased, psycophantic coverage of a rival football team in our own country.

I tend to turn it off.

Keith_M
06-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I tend to turn it off.

I'd imagine a lot of people do, but it's a shame if you just want to watch the Football.

Kato
06-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I'd imagine a lot of people do, but it's a shame if you just want to watch the Football.

I always used to switch the audio settings to "crowd noise" or to the fans commentary but don't subscribe Sky anymore. For this WC I'll get the lie of land before deciding which channel is best. Thing is all the commentators' hubris comes back to bite them. Just think of their drivel as the Roller Coaster heading to the peak, then the unravelling as wild fast downward bit. Most commentary on football these days is utter garbage anyway. I think they employ wafflers no purpose to win people up. Alan Partridge seems like an old school gem compared to some real modern day guys.

joe breezy
06-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Holland

Hibernia Na Eir
06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
A.b.t.s.

Lewis77
06-06-2014, 04:23 PM
It may not be the same for people younger than my generation, but I grew up at the time when the matches between Scotland and England were the most important international matches of the season. Derby matches, in fact.

So I guess I still see England as the international equivalent of the Yams or the Huns or the Soapdodgers.

And many of their fans and mediavolk likewise. :devil:

So ABE's my desired outcome every time.

Excellent point Sir.

At the moment there is this wave of influence in the media which attempts to make us feel guilty for not Supporting the English Football team. However...

Although born in 77, I clearly remember the Rous Cup and the rivalry. It was part of our football culture and still is to this day and there is nothing wrong with that. In Footballing terms England most definitely are the auld enemy. I have an uncle who has a spot of the Wembeley turf in his garden (from that infamous game played the year I was born). I know a lot make that claim but he has photos of the day to back it up. In international terms England are the equivalent of the yams. It's part of the fun of things and shouldn't be scowled at.

Kato
06-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Excellent point Sir.

At the moment there is this wave of influence in the media which attempts to make us feel guilty for not Supporting the English Football team. However...

Although born in 77, I clearly remember the Rous Cup and the rivalry. It was part of our football culture and still is to this day and there is nothing wrong with that. In Footballing terms England most definitely are the auld enemy. I have an uncle who has a spot of the Wembeley turf in his garden (from that infamous game played the year I was born). I know a lot make that claim but he has photos of the day to back it up. In international terms England are the equivalent of the yams. It's part of the fun of things and shouldn't be scowled at.

I've still got my bit of turf.

One Day Soon
06-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Excellent point Sir.

Evidence of any sort?

Lewis77
06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I've still got my bit of turf.

I hear stories about bits popping up on eBay every now and again, ha!

The bits of turf are now like a myth, gone into folklore.

Bristolhibby
06-06-2014, 05:38 PM
I'll be supporting Croatia as had a fantastic time over there watching Scotland (incidentally I arrived in Zagreb a year ago today).
Their fans were fantastic and were so welcoming.

Tough opener vs Brazil though.

J

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll be in Spain for the latter stages. I'm sure they'll be a good party on July 13th if they win so it's Espana for me,.

Drem
06-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Certainly not THEM, Germany for me.

Kato
06-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I hear stories about bits popping up on eBay every now and again, ha!

The bits of turf are now like a myth, gone into folklore.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/kennymcm/wembleytrufBCMXl6JCYAEbdhX_zps9291386a.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/kennymcm/media/wembleytrufBCMXl6JCYAEbdhX_zps9291386a.jpg.html)

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2014, 10:13 PM

yes.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Excellent point Sir.

:faf: Total nonsense..............hilarious.

steakbake
06-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Don't really care who wins - my team isn't in it - but I hope the #naovaitercopa people get to make their point. I think Argentina might win it, interesting outsiders to go far could be Belgium, Bosnia, Uruguay and Chile. I don't see England, Portugal or France doing well. Know quite a few England fans who aren't expecting much.

If folk want to support the neighbours, that's fair play. If they want to see their bigger rivals pumped, that's ok with me, but I do think some people take it too far. But I suppose that applies in loads of countries.

For what it's worth, sometimes it seems fellow Scottish people go on about 1966 more than most. Time to let it go haha :tinhat:

beensaidbefore
07-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Il support a team in green, probably Mexico, cos if you swapped their socks they could be Hibs...in a parallel dimension of course.

Also like to support anyone that has the faintest connection with Hibs, so if Claros is playing, come on Honduras.

And, as a side issue, lets try ans get him back and build a team round him if passing football is what we are striving for.

monktonharp
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I would watch the Kazakhstan women's team play England at Tiddlywinks if I thought England were going to lose :greengrinmy personal choice would be England. If they win, Alex Salmond can put his slippers on, pour himself a nice pino noir, and light up a manikin cigar as he relaxes on his comfiest sofa at Bute House. the jingoism and royal superioralism fest, will carry the day for the YES vote, all on it's own.

iwasthere1972
07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I'll be supporting Scotland.

What? They didn't qualify. Petrie GTF.

In that case I'll be rooting and tooting for the teams that come up against England until they get sent packing back to Heathrow. After that I'm not too bothered.

Lewis77
07-06-2014, 11:36 PM
:faf: Total nonsense..............hilarious.

Have you not noticed how many folks have put ABE on here? I haven't but many have.

Also, just watched them v 10 men Honduras and the word that springs to mind is 'gash'.

Saying that I still want the special players in the world cup to turn up and entertain which includes England's Rooney.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Have you not noticed how many folks have put ABE on here? I haven't but many have.

Also, just watched them v 10 men Honduras and the word that springs to mind is 'gash'.

Saying that I still want the special players in the world cup to turn up and entertain which includes England's Rooney.

What has all this to do with your comment:
At the moment there is this wave of influence in the media which attempts to make us feel guilty for not Supporting the English Football team.

stoneyburn hibs
07-06-2014, 11:51 PM
my personal choice would be England. If they win, Alex Salmond can put his slippers on, pour himself a nice pino noir, and light up a manikin cigar as he relaxes on his comfiest sofa at Bute House. the jingoism and royal superioralism fest, will carry the day for the YES vote, all on it's own.Im liking that scenario. but I will have to silently support them.

SanFranHibs
08-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Argentina or Germany for me !

:saltireflag:saltireflag

700 year anniversary this month !

H18Y GW
08-06-2014, 05:19 AM
ABE

Germans for me

The Green Goblin
08-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Argentina or Germany to win it for me, probably at Brazil's expense, which will be a devastating blow for the country's morale. Dilma is praying for a Brazil win, as that's about the only thing which might keep her re-election hopes alive.

majorhibs
08-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Argentina or Germany to win it for me, probably at Brazil's expense, which will be a devastating blow for the country's morale. Dilma is praying for a Brazil win, as that's about the only thing which might keep her re-election hopes alive.

Amazing to me that the winners of the last 2 big comps. are under everybodies radar, but Spain will have a say in things for me. Nobody much seems to have picked up on the fact that Brazils first game if qualified into knockout stages is against a team from group B, Spain or Holland or Chile, which will make for some game, think maybe Dilma will need to look elsewhere, what I see of Brazil is they are muitlo OVERconfident after last years conf. cup, but if Spain get a penalty against them this year at 0 - 1 I really doubt it'll be Sergio Ramos taking it!

SkintHibby
08-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Any Scottish person supporting England needs a shrink. Like a Hibby wanting Hearts to win the cup ffs.

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Any Scottish person supporting England needs a shrink. Like a Hibby wanting Hearts to win the cup ffs.

I don't think it is, I could never want Hearts to win anything however getting away from the obvious banter which I enjoy, I like to see Scotland do well unless they are playing England. There will be plenty of Scottish folk thinking the same for various reasons.

Future17
08-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Was going to be supporting Argentina but their decision to bring politics into football last night may change my mind.

I would imagine some form of FIFA punishment awaits them.

woody47
08-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I actually dont give a to$$ who wins but as long as its ABE. I only support Scotland and as they are not there I dont care. I only want to see good football.

Kato
08-06-2014, 01:38 PM

My son's half english, he would be supporting Scotland if we'd qualified but he wants England to do well so I will be too. I can still have a giggle if (once) England are papped out without promoting hatred to my kids. Can't see any shrink needed there.

cam2644
08-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Spain. Still the classiest style.

biggineurope
08-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Be rooting for Portugal but Brazil will win.

Pete
08-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure England are giving themselves the best possible chance as they aren't taking their preparation seriously.

I severely doubt that their front two against Italy will involve either Jack Whitehall or Jamie Theakston.

weonlywon6-2
08-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't think it is, I could never want Hearts to win anything however getting away from the obvious banter which I enjoy, I like to see Scotland do well unless they are playing England. There will be plenty of Scottish folk thinking the same for various reasons.

Sh, i like to watch england play in competitions like this and admire a lot of their players as some are very good,its the blinkin media that does my head in and im sure im not alone in this train of thought.
In 86 my dad wanted england to beat argentina because of the falklands war but i supported the argies,i do see you point and fwiw i think they will do better than people expect
What is certain is you are going to be one of the highest hitters for.posts on here thats for sure,enjoy the world cup,at least your team is there !!

Lost_Mackem
08-06-2014, 07:45 PM
As an Englishman I would obviously love to see us win it, being realistic though I would just be happy to see us get out of a tough group and make the knock out rounds. We have some exciting young attack minded players in the shape of Barkley, Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain. The defence is a worry as I think our centre-backs are nowhere near the required quality to deal with some of the best strikers in the world.

Lets just play well eh? Please? The last time I seen England play well in a World Cup was when we beat Denmark 3-0 in the first knock-out round in 2002 when I was 10.

As for if Scotland were in it, I wouldn't give a **** how they got on, they are like Algeria to me... irrelevant.

Gus
08-06-2014, 07:55 PM
As an Englishman I would obviously love to see us win it, being realistic though I would just be happy to see us get out of a tough group and make the knock out rounds. We have some exciting young attack minded players in the shape of Barkley, Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain. The defence is a worry as I think our centre-backs are nowhere near the required quality to deal with some of the best strikers in the world.

Lets just play well eh? Please? The last time I seen England play well in a World Cup was when we beat Denmark 3-0 in the first knock-out round in 2002 when I was 10.

As for if Scotland were in it, I wouldn't give a **** how they got on, they are like Algeria to me... irrelevant.

If Scotland ever qualify ever again in my lifetime then I will be ABS for sure.

Maybe I need a shrink

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Sh, i like to watch england play in competitions like this and admire a lot of their players as some are very good,its the blinkin media that does my head in and im sure im not alone in this train of thought.
In 86 my dad wanted england to beat argentina because of the falklands war but i supported the argies,i do see you point and fwiw i think they will do better than people expect
What is certain is you are going to be one of the highest hitters for.posts on here thats for sure,enjoy the world cup,at least your team is there !!

:aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Argentina for me, they can ram their Malvinas pish up their Jimmy Carters though!

The Green Goblin
08-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Your last paragraph is exactly how I feel about England in the WC.

08-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Would love to see an underdog win this year but history says it will be a South American country. Would be happy if a European team won. Spain, Holland or Germany..................as long as its not Engerland. Mind you having watched their game v Honduras on Friday night they're not getting out the group stage.

Hibee87
11-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Just pulled spain out the hat in the sweep at work, looks like im rooting for them this year :thumbsup:

yeezus.
11-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Would love to see an underdog win this year but history says it will be a South American country. Would be happy if a European team won. Spain, Holland or Germany..................as long as its not Engerland. Mind you having watched their game v Honduras on Friday night they're not getting out the group stage.

I reckon will lose to Italy, scrape a draw with Uruguay and beat Costa Rica.

4 points won't be enough.

Pete
11-06-2014, 04:17 PM
I've got to admit that I'm getting a bit sick of hearing about Daniel Sturridge and Raheem bloody Sterling every time I turn on the radio or TV.

...and I don't give a **** about what you put on your roll either mate.

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I really have no idea how italy and uruguay are playing just now,anyone any idea what there form has been like ?

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Italy i believe hammered Luxembourg 1-1 last week, and have not won in their last 7 games apparently.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/309750/report

I'm thinking England will beat them and get out the group stages, then lose before the quarters. Hopefully.:greengrin

easty
11-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Just pulled spain out the hat in the sweep at work, looks like im rooting for them this year :thumbsup:

I got Holland, they've no chance.

yeezus.
11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I really have no idea how italy and uruguay are playing just now,anyone any idea what there form has been like ?

I think Uruguay only won 7 of their 16 qualifying games but that was obviously a tough group. They did beat Argentina though. Not sure how well Italy have been playing recently but I'm sure they have been playing better than England.

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Uruguay only won 7 of their 16 qualifying games but that was obviously a tough group. They did beat Argentina though. Not sure how well Italy have been playing recently but I'm sure they have been playing better than England.

Nope. http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/309750/report

RoslinInstHibby
11-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Italy are traditionally poor in the friendlies in the run up to tournaments

winnipeg jets
11-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Just back from two weeks in Sicily so it's got to be Italy for me.:wink:

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Italy i believe hammered Luxembourg 1-1 last week, and have not won in their last 7 games apparently.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/309750/report

I'm thinking England will beat them and get out the group stages, then lose before the quarters. Hopefully.:greengrin

Cheers ta,never hear the end of it if they beat italy then

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks

Tricla
11-06-2014, 07:32 PM

:yawn2:

Typical Saxon attitude IMO. I hope you get papped oot sharp.

Thecat23
11-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Argentina or Germany as I have cash on them. But it's going to be funny when England struggle to even got out that group. Their squad is piss poor and I can see them getting a right doing if they do make the knock out phase.

Either way I'll sit back and enjoy it!

SteveHFC
11-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Argentina or Germany as I have cash on them. But it's going to be funny when England struggle to even got out that group. Their squad is piss poor and I can see them getting a right doing if they do make the knock out phase.

Either way I'll sit back and enjoy it!

Pumped in the knockout phase by Greece :greengrin

Lost_Mackem
11-06-2014, 09:40 PM

And I hope you do too... oh wait.

Whats with all this saxon ***** anyway? :confused: Some Scots are so racist its unreal.

Bostonhibby
11-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Il support a team in green, probably Mexico, cos if you swapped their socks they could be Hibs...in a parallel dimension of course.

Also like to support anyone that has the faintest connection with Hibs, so if Claros is playing, come on Honduras.

And, as a side issue, lets try ans get him back and build a team round him if passing football is what we are striving for.

:thumbsup:Mexico for me, got the strip, nearest to Hibs in the tournament.

heretoday
11-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I hope England do well if only to keep their vile press hacks at bay.

Those people want the team to fail so they can dine out on it.

We used to have the same problem in Scotland but now the press tend to cover the national side with encouragement.

Glory Lurker
11-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Well, if the games work out the way I've got them in the predictor league just now, England are getting Ivory Coast in the next round. I reckon they've got to fancy their chances of getting through that.

HibbyAndy
11-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Well, if the games work out the way I've got them in the predictor league just now, England are getting Ivory Coast in the next round. I reckon they've got to fancy their chances of getting through that.

England will be struggling to get out the group stages

Bostonhibby
11-06-2014, 10:20 PM
England will be struggling to get out the group stages

Got them down for 1 draw and 2 defeats.

HibbyAndy
11-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Got them down for 1 draw and 2 defeats.

Sounds about right.

Kato
11-06-2014, 10:25 PM

Had a picture there of a medieval Lost_Mackem dressed in chain mail wi' a sword n'that.

How's things in the 18th Century, Tricla?

SteveHFC
11-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Argentina vs Germany final please :agree:

SuperAllyMcleod
12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
my personal choice would be England. If they win, Alex Salmond can put his slippers on, pour himself a nice pino noir, and light up a manikin cigar as he relaxes on his comfiest sofa at Bute House. the jingoism and royal superioralism fest, will carry the day for the YES vote, all on it's own.

Yes, as a NO voter, this is the worst scenario possible - I'm pretty surprised that more of the yes voters haven't jumped on this because I've been pointing it out to them for months.

To their credit, they still couldn't come round to the idea of supporting England.

Personally I can't see past Argentina - it's being played 'next door' and they don't have the pressure of being the home nation - there's also Messi, Aguero, etc!

hihohibby
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
England! Even though I'm a Scot