PDA

View Full Version : Budget

Green Cabbage 7
01-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard of a fellow supporter, that finishing in the play off and being relegated, there was a financial parachute, also that butchers budget would be increased as a result of this, his thoughts were that crowds at ER would also be up, with winning more matches(let's not forget the other teams are in a financial mess) although expect there gates to be up as well. My thought is although we have lost a lot of players, are we still financially better of than them, that we will be able to piece together a more robust quality squad with a hugely better mentality of being winners, being winners though has to come from the whole club from us the supporters and from within the club itself, I want my club to breed winners not believe in the media hype of we can be third or as it was second, that's not breeding winners, for me that's what is wrong with scottish football as a whole, this defeatist attitude.

Hibbyradge
01-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard of a fellow supporter, that finishing in the play off and being relegated, there was a financial parachute, also that butchers budget would be increased as a result of this, his thoughts were that crowds at ER would also be up, with winning more matches(let's not forget the other teams are in a financial mess) although expect there gates to be up as well.

The parachute payment is a lot less than we would have received had we not been relegated.

At present, TV money is all but non-existent for Championship clubs apart from The Rangers. That might change with Hibs and Hearts in the same league, but the amount paid to the league will be much less than the SPFL league.

Admission prices will be reduced from the £28/£22 structure we have now.

Advertising at Easter Road will be less attractive without TV cameras.

What's left of our current squad have already been told that their salaries will be cut because our income will be significantly less than it was last year.

neil7908
01-06-2014, 10:36 AM
There was a story running fairly recently from an accountant at PWC saying that given the parachute payment, increased attendance we would get for the Hearts and Rangers games, TV coverage of those games etc that we wont be hit too hard in the pocket:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27578902

I have no idea how much he really knows about the finances of the club so I'm guessing its mostly just speculation on their part but I can see the logic in some of it and hopefully we wont be losing out too badly.

The budget may well be decent (would be surprised to see it increase however) but how will we attract players in our current state? Fans protesting against the manager and Chairman, half the team already emptied and the other half told they are free to go, playing the in the Championship etc.

I think it will be a hell of job convincing anyone with a bit of ambition to come to ER at the moment. With some changes in management over the summer we might start to head in the right direction. This is probably a terrible example given how badly it went but the days of us being able to tempt players like Liam Craig are gone for the moment at least.

gegs70
01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
I think finishing 11th in the Spl you.get £800k? Don't quote me on those figures (not even sure.if this includes the parachute payment). Winning the championship.would only get you £400k can anyone add to this, I'm sure I read it in the news when talking about the cost of relegation?

offshorehibby
01-06-2014, 10:48 AM
There's a difference of just over 400K between finishing 11th and finishing top of the championship. The parachute payment hopefully balance that. I think there will be a drop in crowds initially and the TV money is an unknown.

10: £902,023 (5.02%, +£22,023)
11: £816,150 (4.54%, +£16,150)
12: £730,277 (4.07%, +£10,277)

First Division
1: £386,248 (2.15%, +£318,248)
2: £343,132 (1.91%, +£276,132)

Spike Mandela
01-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I would suspect the financial hit won't be too great if we have a successful season and come straight back up. If we don't it will either be catastrophic for our debt or our budget or both.

Smartie
01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
There are many unknowns at this stage. I think that it may well be what we make of it.

I reckon that even if we had stayed up then we would have been hit hard in the pocket. We've sold a lot of season tickets (the club's main source of income) over the past 2 seasons off the back of the Cup Final ticketing arrangements. This income was going to be drastically reduced even if we'd stayed up.

Our relegation has led to us not renewing any of our out of contract players. There will have been some decent wages there - Thomson, McPake, Williams, Taiwo et al will have been picking up some of our top wages, so this frees up a few quid.

The best thing about relegation is the fact that we can hopefully shift a few of the under-performing contracted players with this 50% wage business. There's no way we would have got rid of Nelson, McGivern Collins etc otherwise. The downside is that we may lose some our better players with potential such as Stanton or Hanlon.

We may yet end up with a TV deal which could improve advertising revenue. Let's face it, the The Rangers have a huge following and large tv appeal. There is probably more interest in our league than the top league next year. The Celtic fans will be interested in their bluenose friends' progress.

When we were relegated before, crowds held up and even increased. Hibs fans will follow a team winning games and playing well. In a league with as much at stake next year then with a good start we could see decent crowds so more money.

More than ever we're needing a statement of intent from the board that we intend to bounce up at the first time of asking. We need positivity and something to get behind. If we get off to decent start then the crowds will return. We can also rely on the away end being full 4 times next season - that wouldn't happened in the SPFL.

If we get our usual negative drivel, the club missing out on targets, bargain bucket deadline day signings and an "economised" squad, there will be mid-table championship football, crowds of about 3000, poor advertising revenue etc.

It's up to Hibs imo what happens next.

gegs70
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I think finishing 11th in the Spl you.get £800k? Don't quote me on those figures (not even sure.if this includes the parachute payment). Winning the championship.would only get you £400k can anyone add to this, I'm sure I read it in the news when talking about the cost of relegation?

Green Cabbage 7
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
The parachute payment is a lot less than we would have received had we not been relegated.

At present, TV money is all but non-existent for Championship clubs apart from The Rangers. That might change with Hibs and Hearts in the same league, but the amount paid to the league will be much less than the SPFL league.

What's left of our current squad have already been told that their salaries will be cut because our income will be significantly less than it was last year.

Do you not think that the championship may be more interesting than the premiership this year, there may be more televised games to compensate, I think this could be on the agenda of the broadcasting companies, also reduced costs and winning football= bigger crowds! not a cert but very feasible I would think

Hibs7
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I read somewhere that the parachute payment is £500,000 and I agree about spending to get us back up at first attempt.

Green Cabbage 7
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
I read somewhere that the parachute payment is £500,000 and I agree about spending to get us back up at first attempt.

From on what I heard it was £650,000, but not much in it really

Just Alf
01-06-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm sure I read the payment is £500k (0n top of the 11th placing payment) and IF the relegated team doesn't come straight back up they get another £250k in the 2nd season.

lord bunberry
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Can someone confirm that the prize money from our league placing includes the tv money? I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter how many times we are on tv (excluding cup games) the amount of money we get Is dependent on our league placing. If we are on tv in the first division then we won't be any better off, unless they add more money onto the prize money.

Just Alf
01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Can someone confirm that the prize money from our league placing includes the tv money? I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter how many times we are on tv (excluding cup games) the amount of money we get Is dependent on our league placing. If we are on tv in the first division then we won't be any better off, unless they add more money onto the prize money.

I believe that is the case... All the money is pooled the distributed as per the "placing % breakdown" although I'm not sure what would happen if there was a decent excess!

I do know that sky and BT are in talks to renegotiate part of the contract, essentially to increase championship coverage so the distribution model might change as a result.

greenpaper55
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
A wee search on google produced this http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/229106-how-much-money-does-your-club-stand-to-make-from-league-reconstruction/

lord bunberry
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I believe that is the case... All the money is pooled the distributed as per the "placing % breakdown" although I'm not sure what would happen if there was a decent excess!

I do know that sky and BT are in talks to renegotiate part of the contract, essentially to increase championship coverage so the distribution model might change as a result.
Thanks, that's what I thought

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm sure I read the payment is £500k (0n top of the 11th placing payment) and IF the relegated team doesn't come straight back up they get another £250k in the 2nd season.

Yup, and funded by the SFA apparently.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/272002-sfa-confirm-parachute-payments-for-premiership-playoff-clubs/

Eyrie
01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm not normally in favour of speculating to accumulate but this is a special case. We absolutely have to bounce straight back so the playing budget must be kept at the same level as if we were still in the top flight.

Brooster
01-06-2014, 08:02 PM
We got relegated and the budget has been increased, is this what the op is saying? The budget will be slashed significantly as a result of relegation....make no mistake about that.

lord bunberry
01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
We got relegated and the budget has been increased, is this what the op is saying? The budget will be slashed significantly as a result of relegation....make no mistake about that.

If we win the first division and our average attendance remains the same as this year then we will end up with more money than we did this season.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM

The admission prices can't be reduced by that much, considering season ticket prices are still the same price as last season. There needs to be a considerable incentive to buy a season ticket.

monktonharp
01-06-2014, 11:55 PM
I think the only real winners from our situation, will be the smaller clubs due to our supporters visiting them, and many for the first time. we've already had people asking if our branch is running a bus next season! we expect to ,but it's early.

monktonharp
02-06-2014, 12:02 AM
The admission prices can't be reduced by that much, considering season ticket prices are still the same price as last season. There needs to be a considerable incentive to buy a season ticket.surely they need to look at some way of compensating season ticket holders? I have not yet renewed, but if I had, I'd be expecting some sort of incentive or a means of getting a full refund. this must be a priority, for Leeann Dempster, to resolve this issue ,then address the shambles that is the club shop which has always been a bugbear with me!

greenlex
02-06-2014, 10:08 AM
The budget wont be directly slashed because of relegation. It will be slashed as a result of relegation if that makes sense. We wont sell as many season tickets as the cup final effects are not there and allied to where we find ourselves folk will not attend as regularly. Only hope is a winning start and a bit of momentum a good few walk ups and a wee spend in January. The Summer spend will largely rely on season tickets. The biggest boost to season ticket sales would be Petrie announcing a timescale for stepping down and leaving the board. Winning team equals bums on seats equals more money for January. A win or two against Hearts and or Rangers will help enormously.

Islington Hibs
02-06-2014, 11:10 AM
The budget must be at risk. Sure there is a £500k parachute but last season we had over 8k seasons so far is it 4500? We will struggle to get it up to 6k I guess (separate point but they need to address pricing asap re this- we is going to spend £405 to watch the Championship?) Also no cup final money either is likely which has helped us recently and by possibly as much as £1m a year.

The Board is likely to be unsure what to do- the stakes are high. This will be a very tough league to get out of and there is a risk, given the above, we drop a couple of million and are still not up. The bookies have us third favourites. Realistically it is, at best, a 25% chance of promotion year 1 (Rangers automatic followed by a 30/40% chance of coming second with a subsequent 50% of winning the play off.

If we get off to a flyer crowds will recover and may be similar to last year, but if we struggle it will be gates of 7k, or worse, apart from when Servco and our friends round the corner visit with pretty harsh consequences. Year 2, if we stay down, crowds would be down as no Servco and possibly no Hearts. It is pretty critical we get off to a flyer.......

Steve20
02-06-2014, 11:19 AM
The budget will be slashed significantly as a result of relegation....make no mistake about that.

We can forget any ideas about being promoted then.

MrRobot
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
surely they need to look at some way of compensating season ticket holders? I have not yet renewed, but if I had, I'd be expecting some sort of incentive or a means of getting a full refund. this must be a priority, for Leeann Dempster, to resolve this issue ,then address the shambles that is the club shop which has always been a bugbear with me!

I think sorting the team is more important than sorting a shop. I expect her full priority to be getting the club back to where it should be and balancing everything correctly to safeguard the club and get a successful team on the pitch.

The shop is the least of her worries right now.

Green Cabbage 7
02-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Will Sir Tom pump in a couple of million to help us out, after all he is our leader and it would not be that much to a man of his stature. Here's hoping.