PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Thomson signs for Dundee

California-Hibs
30-05-2014, 09:15 AM
It'll be interesting to see how he gets on there. I'm indifferent to us releasing him. Good player, but injury prone at the same time. Also let's be honest, when we needed him most during the last part of the season he did t exactly set things alight..

Devilstorment
30-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Wish him luck.

He never set the heather ablaze, but its a question of whether we can attract better quality given our situation

IWasThere2016
30-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Word here is McPake has also signed for the Dees.

scott7_0(Prague)
30-05-2014, 09:26 AM

If he can get through a medical, from the rumours out there his back is that damaged he might not pass a medical.

Good luck to him though.

Winston Ingram
30-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Hartley's denied any interest in McPake

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/dundee-boss-denies-making-offer-for-released-hibs-defender-mcpake-1.392639

3pm
30-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd have kept Thomson every day of the week, I am a huge fan.

That being said, Dundee? Is that who wanted him?!

AlbertK86
30-05-2014, 09:36 AM
It'll be interesting to see how he gets on there. I'm indifferent to us releasing him. Good player, but injury prone at the same time. Also let's be honest, when we needed him most during the last part of the season he did t exactly set things alight..

Eh hello he didnae get the chance to set things alight !

TornadoHibby
30-05-2014, 09:37 AM

It's SPFL, it's close to Edinburgh and it will be SPFL wages as Dundee have US investors I seem to recall, who promised publicly after promotion was achieved that they would "financially support the improvements necessary to the first team squad to stay in the SPFL"! :agree:

Don't think that KT was ever looking for top level wages like he has had before, he just wanted to play for Hibs for a decent wage and be close to where he liked to live! :agree:

This is possibly the next best he could get to playing for Hibs in the SPFL! :wink:

TornadoHibby
30-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Eh hello he didnae get the chance to set things alight !

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story now! :greengrin :wink:

nribs
30-05-2014, 09:43 AM

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/dundee-boss-denies-making-offer-for-released-hibs-defender-mcpake-1.392639
STV reporting he has signed a 2 year deal.

IWasThere2016
30-05-2014, 09:43 AM

It's convenient for him, and they are a league above us.

IWasThere2016
30-05-2014, 09:45 AM

You believe football managers :faint:

Dees News FB page has just put up this:

"Dundee have completed the signings of three players today. Former Hibs midfielder Kevin Thomson & defender James McPake and former Alloa ‘Keeper Scott Bain.

Midfielder Kevin Thomson, who previously played for Rangers and Middlesbrough and for Scotland will be a crucial part in Hartley’s new shape team and has signed a two year deal. Centre half James McPake is also a former Hibernian player and captain and signs a two year deal after talks in the early hours of this morning... in Edinburgh were successful, he passed his medical earlier this week in Dundee's indoor training facility. The centre half has played for Livingston and Coventry before moving to the Edinburgh club in 2012.
Goalkeeper Scott Bain has signed a three year deal. Scott, who was Paul Hartley’s first signing as manager of Alloa, is a ‘Keeper with a lot of potential. The 22 year old, started off at Aberdeen, before moving to Alloa to be their number one!

Welcome to Dundee, Kevin, James and Scott, brilliant signings for the club !!!

See More"

SMAXXA
30-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Kevin has signed today, James hadn't yet agreed terms as wanted more cash, Scott vernon still negotiating terms and there's no real medical that happens. There is a medical as such that they check you over, fitness etc but not to the degree some would think with wires attached to you etc. McPake was at dens on Tuesday doing running and fitness work etc which he passed with no problems. Fwiw KT didn't even do a medical when he rejoined hibs which I thought was strange.

nribs
30-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Kevin has signed today, James hadn't yet agreed terms as wanted more cash, Scott vernon still negotiating terms and there's no real medical that happens. There is a medical as such that they check you over, fitness etc but not to the degree some would think with wires attached to you etc. McPake was at dens on Tuesday doing running and fitness work etc which he passed with no problems. Fwiw KT didn't even do a medical when he rejoined hibs which I thought was strange.

I do know though that some club doctors talk to other club doctors etc etc or people who have treated them. Not sure how this works with patient confidentiality though?

cabbage_1982
30-05-2014, 10:07 AM

KT will rip it up at Dens, especially as Hartley wants them to get the ball down and play football the way it should.

Devilstorment
30-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I do know though that some club doctors talk to other club doctors etc etc or people who have treated them. Not sure how this works with patient confidentiality though?

He probably gets asked to sign a disclosure or something?

AlbertK86
30-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Good luck to KT

SMAXXA hopefully you can pass onto him that he should still be at ER and captain of our club

Good luck to MCPake as well

Did a great job when first arrived. Unfortunate with injuries.

Hope that's behind him and he is a success at Dundee

Vini1875
30-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Good luck with them both no hard feelings to either of them.

Mark79
30-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Triple signing by Dundee confirmed on bbc. Thomson, mcpake and boy bain from alloa.

IWasThere2016
30-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Triple signing by Dundee confirmed on bbc. Thomson, mcpake and boy bain from alloa.

Yup - as expected -http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/news/triple-signing-complete

Mark79
30-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Out of all the players that left those two probably showed the most passion for the club but couldnt do much to stop the rot with injuries or butcher not wanting to play them. Wish them all the best. If they stay clear of injuries then dundee have 2 good signings.

Winston Ingram
30-05-2014, 12:09 PM
You believe football managers :faint:

Dees News FB page has just put up this:

"Dundee have completed the signings of three players today. Former Hibs midfielder Kevin Thomson & defender James McPake and former Alloa ‘Keeper Scott Bain.

Midfielder Kevin Thomson, who previously played for Rangers and Middlesbrough and for Scotland will be a crucial part in Hartley’s new shape team and has signed a two year deal. Centre half James McPake is also a former Hibernian player and captain and signs a two year deal after talks in the early hours of this morning... in Edinburgh were successful, he passed his medical earlier this week in Dundee's indoor training facility. The centre half has played for Livingston and Coventry before moving to the Edinburgh club in 2012.
Goalkeeper Scott Bain has signed a three year deal. Scott, who was Paul Hartley’s first signing as manager of Alloa, is a ‘Keeper with a lot of potential. The 22 year old, started off at Aberdeen, before moving to Alloa to be their number one!

Welcome to Dundee, Kevin, James and Scott, brilliant signings for the club !!!

See More"

:hilarious

Russ
30-05-2014, 12:10 PM

The mighty Katy playing for Dundee eh, it's as well he has broad shoulders.

Franck Stanton
30-05-2014, 12:16 PM
So much for the " Thomson to Hearts" rumour then.

SMAXXA
30-05-2014, 03:49 PM
McPake on Thomo -

He knows Kevin Thomson very well from their time together at Hibernian and told us of his team mate, "I think he's one of the best midfielders in Scotland. He proved that last season getting called back up to the Scotland squad. I see him everyday, I see what he can do and he's a top footballer."

"Paul hasn't wasted any time getting him signed up, and I'm sure Kevin would have had plenty of interest. You see the clubs he's played at, with Rangers he played in the UEFA Cup Final, won titles, won cups. Then he's been down south as well with Middlesbrough."

"He's a top top player and he's a full internationalist as well so I'm delighted he's going to be here."

1875Sean
30-05-2014, 04:29 PM
I see Thommo is confirmed as dundee's captain!

Will be intresting to see how he gets on

Hexham Hibee
30-05-2014, 04:39 PM
And what's the odds we will play Dundee in next season's playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PerfectlyFranck
30-05-2014, 04:40 PM
It's SPFL, it's close to Edinburgh and it will be SPFL wages as Dundee have US investors I seem to recall, who promised publicly after promotion was achieved that they would "financially support the improvements necessary to the first team squad to stay in the SPFL"! :agree:

Don't think that KT was ever looking for top level wages like he has had before, he just wanted to play for Hibs for a decent wage and be close to where he liked to live! :agree:

This is possibly the next best he could get to playing for Hibs in the SPFL! :wink:

Can people stop calling the Scottish Premiership the SPFL! :grr:
We'll be in the SPFL next season, the season after that and the season after that - I'm not so sure about the season after that though!

Scottish Premiership, Championship, League One & League Two - SPFL: Scottish Professional Football League

weonlywon6-2
30-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Best of luck kevin and james,hope you do very well ,apart from against us if you ever play us

Hibernia&Alba
30-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Best of luck to them.

KeithTheHibby
30-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Good luck to them. If both stay injury free with be an asset for Dundee.

Farcical Thomson wasn't offered a deal but hey ho TB apparently knows best..

snooky
30-05-2014, 05:32 PM
KT signs for Dundee? Jeez, I'm amazed.
I thought a player could only be signed 5 minutes before the transfer window ended.
OMG, you learn something every day.

Sumner
30-05-2014, 06:09 PM
KT signs for Dundee? Jeez, I'm amazed.
I thought a player could only be signed 5 minutes before the transfer window ended.
OMG, you learn something every day.

.. 5 minutes before the transfer window ends... after the first 5 choices are deemed too expensive, and up steps some dunkey no other club wants.. a Mr A.Journeyman.. or Michael Nelson.

SouthamptonHibs
30-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Madness Butcher must go, Hibs best player by a country mile and now he is at Dundee. I can't wait to see what piiiish we sign to try and get us up next year. Championship team for a long time.
Petrie and Butcher get to.....

Mixu62
30-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Notice a Scotsman report where McPake says his fitness test wasn't a problem. So that's that Botcher myth blown out of the water. f***ing clown.

Callum_62
30-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Madness Butcher must go, Hibs best player by a country mile and now he is at Dundee.

That tells you exactly the quality of Hibs 1st team then, if our best player by a mile ends up at a promoted championship side

Callum_62
30-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Notice a Scotsman report where McPake says his fitness test wasn't a problem. So that's that Botcher myth blown out of the water. f***ing clown.

Lets see how many games he plays this year

I believe, like many others his back is a major issue - who knows maybe surgery has cleared the problem

Judging by people who watched him in the u20s though - he was miles short of fitness for 1st team

Heisenberg
31-05-2014, 07:52 AM
I'll be amazed if Mcpake and Thomson play 30 games between them.

spike220
31-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I'll be amazed if Mcpake and Thomson play 30 games between them.

:agree:

shetlandhibee
31-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I see Dundee have let go of beattie and Gavin Rae to name a few think they would be able to do the Job for us in division 1 if they were available.

SMAXXA
31-05-2014, 08:25 AM
I see Dundee have let go of beattie and Gavin Rae to name a few think they would be able to do the Job for us in division 1 if they were available.

Hes moving to Australia

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I think Thomson will play a lot more games than James McPake, and as Hibs highest earner i'd not have given McPake another contract either.

I might have thrown him in for the last few games in the bottom 6 though, he'd surely not be as bad as the chuckle brothers were, and maybe just maybe have given us a bit of a boost when we needed it?

craigmounthibby
31-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I see Thommo is confirmed as dundee's captain!

Will be intresting to see how he gets on
When did we last bin a player that was immediately signed somewhere else and instated as club captain? Don't care about "possible" injuries - Kevin Thomson is a far, far better football player than any "find" Butcher/Marsella get from the lower English or Scottish leagues. Freeing him is a truly shocking decision.

Jim44
31-05-2014, 08:26 PM
When did we last bin a player that was immediately signed somewhere else and instated as club captain? Don't care about "possible" injuries - Kevin Thomson is a far, far better football player than any "find" Butcher/Marsella get from the lower English or Scottish leagues. Freeing him is a truly shocking decision.

Thomson wasn't freed for footballing reasons. Butcher knows how good a footballer Thomson is but other issues were more important to him.

SMAXXA
31-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Thomson wasn't freed for footballing reasons. Butcher knows how good a footballer Thomson is but other issues were more important to him.

What other issues?

jacomo
31-05-2014, 10:36 PM
I think Thomson will play a lot more games than James McPake, and as Hibs highest earner i'd not have given McPake another contract either.

I might have thrown him in for the last few games in the bottom 6 though, he'd surely not be as bad as the chuckle brothers were, and maybe just maybe have given us a bit of a boost when we needed it?

We'll never know. But give it 6 months and it will be a FACT that McPake would have saved us from relegation if only Butcher had played him! :wink:

It's not individual decisions on players but a whole host of them that make me doubt him