PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton (again)

Baker9
30-05-2014, 06:20 AM
When it comes to the 'new' board the key point is still being missed and that is the need for a proper football person on that board. Remember the main reason for STF getting involved was not for football reasons, it was 'for the community', and a lot of the rhetoric coming out of the club over the last few years has been community-based. Highly commendable but missing the point completely. Work in the community and corporate social responsibility need to become important only as and when the club has established itself as successful at what it is meant to be doing - football.

It worries me that one of LD's touted assets is the work she has done 'in the community' at Motherwell. I would find her instantly credible if she was able to announce the retirement of Rod Petrie as any kind of director and the appointment of Pat Stanton as Director of Football (executive and paid). Had that man been involved at an influential level over the last 10 years we would not be in the mess we are in. Let’s not waste his talents over the next 10 years.

Problem is, I cannot imagine him ever wanting to work for, or with, Petrie.

Leith Mo
30-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Agree but not as Director of Football. He is the only man who has our universal respect - players, fans, sponsors, supporters, STF (I believe) - and who lives and breathes Hibernian. I would take him in a heartbeat as a unifying Chairman/Club President at this difficult time.

Then let Lee Ann begin the clearout of the Board, doing the day job and really make a mark on giving us back our Club - Pat's appointment (though agree don't think he would be interested) would send a clear message.

confused
30-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm just waiting for god to step down and Pat an have his job , the man is my all time hero.

Baker9
30-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Agree but not as Director of Football. He is the only man who has our universal respect - players, fans, sponsors, supporters, STF (I believe) - and who lives and breathes Hibernian. I would take him in a heartbeat as a unifying Chairman/Club President at this difficult time.

Then let Lee Ann begin the clearout of the Board, doing the day job and really make a mark on giving us back our Club - Pat's appointment (though agree don't think he would be interested) would send a clear message.

I think he would be interested but not if Petrie is still there in any capacity. Pat knows he couldn't live with Petrie's style of management. Petrie wouldn't want Pat at the club because he would be too powerful an influence.

fat freddy
30-05-2014, 10:36 AM
With the club in a state of chaos at the moment it would be benificial for all sides involved in the ongoing battle of wills if there was a presence within the club that the fans could relate to and trust. No one is more trusted than Pat Stanton and I would like to see him involved in an official capacity in the rebuilding of the club even if only as a communication link between the board and the fans. Those running the club have lost credibility but remain in position, if this continues into the new season, which seems likely, the club is in danger of fragmenting completely. It is essential that the club starts to repair the damage done and I feel this will have to be done with Rod Petrie still part of the makeup of the club, there's no point in pretending he's going to walk away completely, it's not going to happen in the near future. With this in mind the only way the board can expect to be taken seriously is if they appoint someone to their number that the fans take seriously. Pat Stanton is one of the few men that can unite the fans and his presence on the board would surely go some way to galvanising the club in our hour of need.

R11Loaded
30-05-2014, 06:23 PM
My dad was managed by Pat years ago, total Hibs man has my families respect no end.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

qiut
30-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Read the "quiet man" then, come back here.

Cropley10
30-05-2014, 06:31 PM
With the club in a state of chaos at the moment it would be benificial for all sides involved in the ongoing battle of wills if there was a presence within the club that the fans could relate to and trust. No one is more trusted than Pat Stanton and I would like to see him involved in an official capacity in the rebuilding of the club even if only as a communication link between the board and the fans. Those running the club have lost credibility but remain in position, if this continues into the new season, which seems likely, the club is in danger of fragmenting completely. It is essential that the club starts to repair the damage done and I feel this will have to be done with Rod Petrie still part of the makeup of the club, there's no point in pretending he's going to walk away completely, it's not going to happen in the near future. With this in mind the only way the board can expect to be taken seriously is if they appoint someone to their number that the fans take seriously. Pat Stanton is one of the few men that can unite the fans and his presence on the board would surely go some way to galvanising the club in our hour of need.

Kenny McLean said today he'd spoken to Pat and he's behind the objective. We might hear more from him anon.

Golden Bear
30-05-2014, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Baker9;4039666]When it comes to the 'new' board the key point is still being missed and that is the need for a proper football person on that board. Remember the main reason for STF getting involved was not for football reasons, it was 'for the community', and a lot of the rhetoric coming out of the club over the last few years has been community-based. Highly commendable but missing the point completely. Work in the community and corporate social responsibility need to become important only as and when the club has established itself as successful at what it is meant to be doing - football.

It worries me that one of LD's touted assets is the work she has done 'in the community' at Motherwell. I would find her instantly credible if she was able to announce the retirement of Rod Petrie as any kind of director and the appointment of Pat Stanton as Director of Football (executive and paid). Had that man been involved at an influential level over the last 10 years we would not be in the mess we are in. Let’s not waste his talents over the next 10 years.

Problem is, I cannot imagine him ever wanting to work for, or with, Petrie.[/QUOTE

Excellent post.

Soldiersteve
30-05-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm just waiting for god to step down and Pat an have his job , the man is my all time hero.

Agreed!:aok:

B.H.F.C
30-05-2014, 07:23 PM
We must be the only club in the land who doesn't have legends properly involved. For me, that's part of the reason we've lost our identity.

Stantons Angel
30-05-2014, 07:43 PM
I think he would be interested but not if Petrie is still there in any capacity. Pat knows he couldn't live with Petrie's style of management. Petrie wouldn't want Pat at the club because he would be too powerful an influence.

You have hit the nail on the head there!!!

Pat has always been too popular for any of the hierarchy at Easter Road and has been treated abominably by them on a few occasions over the years.

I dont know if he would want to work with these people, who know nothing about the game, other than what will be in the buffet from one game to the next!

He would always want to do what he could for his club but whether he would put up with the stress and the internal politics of it all i dont know. If he did id expect him to wait till Petrie is replaced.

On the other hand if the support get their way and Petrie is replaced, the board cleared out and Pat installed as an executive member. What would happen if things went differently than the support wanted and the blame then fell at his feet?

This man is "God" to the Hibs support and i dont think his working miracles will help Hibs in the state they are in at the moment.

truehibernian
30-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I'd have Pat as an Ambassador, not on the Board - please believe me that it's not a slight on Pat Stanton - I just think he epitomises Hibernian and him being the club's Ambassador is in itself the highest honour.

I want a Board that is young, dynamic and progressive - dare I say I would invite Archie Lovell onto it - I've always liked him and his views on the game. I also think he has a terrific outlook and would be a great modern bridge between fans and Boardroom.

hibbymick
30-05-2014, 08:18 PM
We must be the only club in the land who doesn't have legends properly involved. For me, that's part of the reason we've lost our identity.

Riordan ...director of football :aok:

trev the hat
30-05-2014, 08:58 PM
I'd have Pat as an Ambassador, not on the Board - please believe me that it's not a slight on Pat Stanton - I just think he epitomises Hibernian and him being the club's Ambassador is in itself the highest honour.

I want a Board that is young, dynamic and progressive - dare I say I would invite Archie Lovell onto it - I've always liked him and his views on the game. I also think he has a terrific outlook and would be a great modern bridge between fans and Boardroom.

Pat Stanton is who we are, no less no more, how he has been overlooked in a proactive capacity with the team beggars belief MO. Watch the St Pats AGM video & be proud. GG

truehibernian
30-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Pat Stanton is who we are, no less no more, how he has been overlooked in a proactive capacity with the team beggars belief MO. Watch the St Pats AGM video & be proud. GG

That was my point - he's above a 'Board' - he's what we are all about !

PatHead
30-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Pat turns 7-0 in September. Not sure if he would want an official role.

Just hope we have a proper way of marking his birthday. The Stanton Stand anyone?

Baker9
31-05-2014, 11:16 AM

It's not an Ambassador we need. We need somebody above the level of team manager who is steeped in football (and the club) and who can act as a check on the manager's actions. Pat would not have sanctioned half the signings over the last 5 years. I welcome LD but even she joked about understanding the offside rule. We need an active, executive football person and there will never be any better than Pat. In the excellent St Pat's Q and A he alludes that he would only keep 2 or 3 of the then current squad. It's that view, opinion, expertise that we need for LD. If you are reading this LD - appoint him. He is 70 - that's just the new 50 and we could make it easy for him.

Stantons Angel
31-05-2014, 11:29 AM
That was my point - he's above a 'Board' - he's what we are all about !

This is the point i tried to make earlier, he is what he is because he has always been his own man! The quiet man he may be but beneath all that he a true Hibernian Legend and he will have his views on all thats happened recently.

You never seen Pat shout and bawl on the field and you wont see him attending these highly fueled meetings as he has a lot of dignity and respect and would hate to be seen as part of a rabble!!

He is worthy of more from our football club certainly, but his popularity will always be a threat to the hierarchy in terms of people will listen to him not just because of his wealth of knowledge of the game but also his real love for Hibernian FC.

I cant see him accepting a seat on the board executive or not, he will always be an ambassador for Hibs and will always mean more to the Hibs support than any member of our board ever will!

Petrie would not like to be in competition with someone held so highly in the hearts and minds of the Hibs support.