PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

Hibeesmad
30-05-2014, 02:14 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but it's a shame to see the big guy go without a proper farewell, I thought he was absolutely brilliant for us last season making some top class saves and that penalty save against Aberdeen must of been the highlight of his time at the club. He never had a great season this year but I think the defence, tactics or whatever you want to call it were mostly at fault for that. Just gutted he doesn't have twitter or something just to say thank you for everything. He was also one of the only players to come and clap the fans at the end of every game, gonna miss him. Top professional and im sure he will do well where ever he goes

Bronson
30-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Best hibs keeper in living memory for me, although there's not much competition. Sad to see him go, wish him all the best wherever he ends up!

That penalty save v aberdeen was superb, he contributed heavily to some fantastic memories, will miss him.

Moon unit
30-05-2014, 05:37 AM
Was a big fan..but felt his performances (like everyone else's) tailed off, did not command his box enough, conceded far too many from corners/set pieces. Great shot stopper though!

Beefster
30-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Best hibs keeper in living memory for me, although there's not much competition. Sad to see him go, wish him all the best wherever he ends up!

That penalty save v aberdeen was superb, he contributed heavily to some fantastic memories, will miss him.

Williams was a competent keeper, especially in his first season, but he's not even close to Goram and Leighton.

Flanny boy
30-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Williams was a competent keeper, especially in his first season, but he's not even close to Goram and Leighton. spot on beefster :agree:

Keith_M
30-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Williams was a competent keeper, especially in his first season, but he's not even close to Goram and Leighton.

or Alan Rough.

Flanny boy
30-05-2014, 06:09 AM
or Alan Rough.
Correct

MrRobot
30-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Sad to see him leave. All the best Ben.

Onceinawhile
30-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Having watched hamilton's first goal again, I think he should have stopped it

3pm
30-05-2014, 06:23 AM

It depends on what age Bronson is. Leighton left Hibs 17 years ago.

Marty-Hibee
30-05-2014, 08:23 AM

To be fair I'm 22 and I can only remember the tail end of Leighton, so I'm inclined to agree. As mentioned, the competition isn't great, but Ben definitely won us more points than cost over his time here so I'm sad to see him leave, hope he gets a good wee move.

GreenPJ
30-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I would rate Daniel Andersson above him.

emerald green
30-05-2014, 09:02 AM
He was much better than Zibi, but then again so am I. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
30-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Really rated him, though sadly he was at fault for goals in our two biggest games of each of the last two seasons. He did play a major part in us getting to the SC Final last year though.

If he'd gone at the end of last season I'd have been devastated - doesn't feel like such a loss now, especially as he would have gone even if he were still under contract with us.

judas
30-05-2014, 12:52 PM

or burridge and anderson

BT58
30-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Jim Heriot was quite good too, as was budgie , Anderson, Roughie and Robin Rae.
Goram was a cracking goalie..I'm sure he even managed to score a goal..

Jumbo
30-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Jim Heriot was quite good too, as was budgie , Anderson, Roughie and Robin Rae.
Goram was a cracking goalie..I'm sure he even managed to score a goal..

Robin Rae ? He only played about 5 first team games for us and ended up playing centre forward for Arniston Rangers !

SlickShoes
30-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Jim Leighton was the best for me, although he struggled badly when they brought in the pass back rule.

Goram I can barely remember, Budgie was a cult hero.

Williams has been the best keeper we have had for ages, if only we had someone like him in goals when mowbray was here.

truehibernian
30-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Williams went down in my estimation with his showings laterly and his non-plussed, 'laugh with the opposition' during games stuff.

He's one who I think 'downed tools' if I'm being brutally honest. Maybe very harsh I know.

I just hated seeing smiling faces on a pitch when we were 1-0 and 2-0 down in games that were vital to win.

Sean1875
30-05-2014, 02:34 PM
could have still done a job for us next year IMO, all the best Ben

Viva_Palmeiras
30-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Jim Leighton was the best for me, although he struggled badly when they brought in the pass back rule.

Goram I can barely remember, Budgie was a cult hero.

Williams has been the best keeper we have had for ages, if only we had someone like him in goals when mowbray was here.

Goram went on to be a total cult ;)

RIP Bestie
30-05-2014, 04:11 PM
]Best hibs keeper in living memory for me,[/B] although there's not much competition. Sad to see him go, wish him all the best wherever he ends up!

Wow that's a statement. What age are you?

Bronson
30-05-2014, 04:51 PM
It depends on what age Bronson is. Leighton left Hibs 17 years ago.

I don't remember Leighton although I was alive at the time, earliest hibs keeper I can properly remember is Nick Colgan. For me, Williams is the best I've seen IMO.

Like I said though, competition is scarce.

weonlywon6-2
30-05-2014, 04:54 PM

We were spoilt with goram and leighton and we had roughie and budgie who was such a huge player for us

Still believe we will get a decent keeper in again though

Ringothedog
30-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Or Daniel Anderson.

Ringothedog
30-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Goram went on to be a total cult ;)

You will have to work on your spelling. :whistle:

Dan Sarf
30-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't remember Leighton although I was alive at the time, earliest hibs keeper I can properly remember is Nick Colgan. For me, Williams is the best I've seen IMO.

Earliest Hibs keeper I can remember seeing was Tommy Younger - though he was playing for Liverpool by then. Joe Baker tried to shoulder charge him in a pre-season friendly (in the days when you could do that). Giant Tommy never budged an inch. Joe ended up flat on his arse.

Time for my cocoa. Nurse!

Hibernia Na Eir
30-05-2014, 05:20 PM

take it you were too young to see Goram and Leighton?

KeithTheHibby
30-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Great keeper and will be hard to replace. I can only assume he either turned down a contract or Dean Brill signed a pre-contract.

Aldo
30-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Great keeper and will be hard to replace. I can only assume he either turned down a contract or Dean Brill signed a pre-contract. Deal was on the table but was turned down/ not signed. I will agree that he is a good keeper but not a great one!!

I also think there are keepers out there as good if not better than him and within our budget

SanFranHibs
30-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Without Williams we might have been relegated !

:greengrin

Should have saved the first :rolleyes:

Bronson
30-05-2014, 06:40 PM
take it you were too young to see Goram and Leighton?

Aye I'm afraid so, was very young when Leighton was at us so I don't remember him.

nribs
30-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Well Colgan was garbage even though many people rated him. He was lucky he played behind Sazuee, Fenwick and Smith.

stoneyburn hibs
30-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Part sum of a squad that was relegated, good luck and bye.

Lucius Apuleius
30-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Ronnie Simpson was alright likes! Jim Herriot was no bad. Big Margo was pure dead torture.

Swedish hibee
30-05-2014, 08:09 PM
I'll miss Ben. Wish him well :aok:

Disshibee
30-05-2014, 09:13 PM
A long line of good keepers going way back

Jimmy Kerr
Tommy Younger
Lawrie Leslie
Willie Wison

Ben was up there I reckon and these guys had the luxury of a solid defence in front of them.

Thanks and good luck Big Ben!

Sir David Gray
30-05-2014, 09:16 PM
He's one of the best Hibs goalkeepers in my lifetime. Not only that but I do think he's been one of the best goalkeepers in Scotland in his time with us.

I wish him all the best in his future career, as long as he doesn't go to H****s.

1987green
30-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Could be going to Huddersfield

Onceinawhile
30-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Without Williams we might have been relegated !

:greengrin

Should have saved the first :rolleyes:

Genuinely. If you watch it again, it squirms right under him. Nowhere near as culpable as the mcgivern/nelson axis, but I think he could have saved it.

As for how good he is, for me, the best sice Leighton;

Certainly better than

Colgan
Oli (shudder)
Maka
mcneil
zibi
etc...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-05-2014, 10:12 PM
All the best big Ben! :thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
30-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes all the best Ben Williams . When he first arrived I was worried about the crosses he missed but he improved a lot ( just like we always picked ourselves up after bad results until 2014 ) and was an excellent goalie for us .

Borderhibbie76
31-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Il miss Big Ben and respect for being one of the few who stayed on pitch to acknowledge fans at end last Sunday. He genuinely looked devastated. Best of luck Ben :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

patch1875
31-05-2014, 08:05 AM
He was good first season average at best this season.

please get a keeper that comes and catches the ball

DH1875
31-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Deal was on the table but was turned down/ not signed. I will agree that he is a good keeper but not a great one!!

I also think there are keepers out there as good if not better than him and within our budget

He was offered reduced terms. Half his current deal I'm led to believe. Doubt we'll get much better than him tbh.

Aldo
31-05-2014, 02:13 PM
He was offered reduced terms. Half his current deal I'm led to believe. Doubt we'll get much better than him tbh.

Why won't we!! There are other keepers out there as good as him IMHO. And within our budget.

Jamie McDonald is one.

Kato
31-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Decent keeper, hope he does better at his next club. Comparisons with Leighton/G***m a bit laughable though. Daniel Anderson and Mike McDonald were both better keepers than Williams and neither of them approached Leighton, G***m or Rough.

Biggest let down from him for me is his lack of unity if I'm honest. Even a veneer of togetherness helps a team during a season. Seems he was willing to gripe to all and sundry this season which did not help Hibs one bit.

Tha Cabbage Kid
31-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Szamatolski was a good keeper even though we didnt have him for long

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

DH1875
31-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Why won't we!! There are other keepers out there as good as him IMHO. And within our budget.

Jamie McDonald is one.

If you think Jamie McDonald will sign up with us for about £750 per week then your living in la la land.

Aldo
31-05-2014, 05:19 PM
If you think Jamie McDonald will sign up with us for about £750 per week then your living in la la land.

I don't know how much he's on and never say never.

I never thought Sauzee would sign for us so anything is possible.

Forza Fred
01-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Ronnie Simpson

#FromTheCapital
01-06-2014, 03:01 AM
I don't know how much he's on and never say never.

I never thought Sauzee would sign for us so anything is possible.

Atm he's on **** all per week so there's a chance.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Jamie McDonald is one.

Do you know our budget, do we even have one?
He's no Goram or Leighton but much better than what a cost-cutting lower league club can expect to attract.

Aldo
01-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Do you know our budget, do we even have one? He's no Goram or Leighton but much better than what a cost-cutting lower league club can expect to attract.

NO, Don't know and I take it you mean Williams??

Kaiser1962
01-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Ronnie Simpson

He is more associated with Celtic than Hibs but played more games for us.

number 27
01-06-2014, 08:12 AM
I think I am in the minority but I felt that Williams completely chucked it towards the end of the season, he did make a couple of blocks at Hamilton but up until then I can hardly remember him making a decent save for weeks. Part of our problem at the end of the season was the number of times we went behind to the oppositions first serious shot at goal. We also seemed to have a few games like the poppy theives at home where they were having three shots on target and scoring twice.

I liked Williams but on his end of season form he can be replaced easily.

hibbysam
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Jamie McDonald is one.

I must be the only one on this board that thinks Jamie McDonald is grossly overrated... He looks ok because his defence was that horrid that he had about 15-20 saves to make per game and so save-clanger ratio was always going to be really high! He was a bombscare for years, his distribution is terrible to say the least, he's even worse than Williams at 'commanding his box' and 'claiming crosses' which seems to be a massive part of people's report card on here!

Saorsa
01-06-2014, 08:21 AM
I think I am in the minority but I felt that Williams completely chucked it towards the end of the season, he did make a couple of blocks at Hamilton but up until then I can hardly remember him making a decent save for weeks. Part of our problem at the end of the season was the number of times we went behind to the oppositions first serious shot at goal. We also seemed to have a few games like the poppy theives at home where they were having three shots on target and scoring twice.

I liked Williams but on his end of season form he can be replaced easily.on the wages we'll be offering? Might have been easily replaced if we'd stayed up, I doubt it'll be so easy now.

number 27
01-06-2014, 09:02 AM
on the wages we'll be offering? Might have been easily replaced if we'd stayed up, I doubt it'll be so easy now.

Fair point, I'm still a lot more worried about other things than signing a half decent goalie right now mind you.

JimBHibees
01-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I must be the only one on this board that thinks Jamie McDonald is grossly overrated... He looks ok because his defence was that horrid that he had about 15-20 saves to make per game and so save-clanger ratio was always going to be really high! He was a bombscare for years, his distribution is terrible to say the least, he's even worse than Williams at 'commanding his box' and 'claiming crosses' which seems to be a massive part of people's report card on here!

No your not I think he is bang average also.

H18Y GW
01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Deal was on the table but was turned down/ not signed. I will agree that he is a good keeper but not a great one!!

How i see it,his early penalty saves helped him appear better than he may have been,this season has lost a right few Maka style goals with bad judgement.

Greencore
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Daniel andersson has been the best goalkeeper I have saw for hibs(in person)

seven nowt
02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
or Alan Rough.

Wonderful input :spammy:

TrinityHibs
02-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Where did the £750 a week for the new players come from? I missed that announcement.