PDA

View Full Version : Back the Board - Be careful what we wish for!

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 06:28 AM
I think this is an excellent post from a non hibby in today's Scotsman. As I have said on here before we need to back the board and team now. We are all hurting but all this talk of boycotts etc, how on earth does that help? The season is less that 12 weeks away! We need to stick together.

"Petrie has done a great job for Hibs and the Hibs fans need to be careful about blaming him for everything. Hibs have built a great stadium, have finished their academy and still remain relatively debt free and all of this in times where many around them have floundered and many more expected to follow.
With the stadium finished and the new Management in place, it is clear that Petrie has recognised that his job is almost done and is stepping back anyway. I don't know what more he could have done.
He acknowledged on day 1 that he wasn't a football man - but he has delivered what he stated he would do and that is to get Hibs onto a solid financial platform.
Relegation at worst could last for two years and that assumes that that both Hearts and Rangers get their acts together as well. Hibs should be positive about the future not trying to shoot the very people who have saved them.
Give Butcher time and get rid of some of the dross that has been employed at ER for years and start again. Back your team at the time they need you"

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Petrie done very well getting the stadium fully complete and training up and running. No taking that away!

I can't back this board though or him because he's a liar. The facts are black and white. The same statements and empty promises just gives me the boak.

Hibs fans have backed this club to the hilt when it's needed so these same fans have a right to ask for change when his failings have out us down.

What if we linger for a few years down there do we still back him? He's nothing left to offer Hibs IMO and I'm preying he leaves.

greenpaper55
29-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Agent Petrie can f*** right off.

Saorsa
29-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I think it's a pile of ***** but I guess that's just a difference of opinion.

Gustavo Fring
29-05-2014, 06:41 AM
Inspiring.....!

What's your plan?

back the board and we will be languishing arund the lower leagues for years to come , with a pi$$ poor squad that cannae win at easter road

my plan quite frankly would be to spend the money to build a decent squad capable of challenging for the league or 2nd at the very least , if you think that will happen under the current regime then you need your head examined

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Notice you said it was a non Hibby who said it! Says it all really. Stinks of hearts fans having a right laugh at us and wanting us to continue down the same path of self destruction.

bingo70
29-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I think petries Time is up and I want him to leave but I have to admit I'm pretty uncomfortable with the level of hatred directed towards him just now.

There are things he's done well for this club and I appreciate all the work he's put in. That said though he's clearly not got a clue how to get success on the pitch and that's where it matters.

I also appreciate he's not going to go quietly so the aggressive approach we're seeing now will probably be the only way we'll see change.

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Petrie done very well getting the stadium fully complete and training up and running. No taking that away!

I can't back this board though or him because he's a liar. The facts are black and white. The same statements and empty promises just gives me the boak.

Hibs fans have backed this club to the hilt when it's needed so these same fans have a right to ask for change when his failings have out us down.

What if we linger for a few years down there do we still back him? He's nothing left to offer Hibs IMO and I'm preying he leaves.

Fair enough but isn't change happening? Isn't that why he brought in Butcher? Yes the season finished disaster oils but he was working with probably the worst players at ER for some time.

My point is that Petrie had done well in building thd stadium and managing the finances, he is stepping aside, Leanne will be running things, he will back the manager with more money I am sure for this critical campaign.

You know what , many on here spent months bothered about Hearts demise and sphere did that get us? Let's not make the same mistake here.

Trust me Petrie is going nowhere, we must back the team here of this could get a whole lot worse. Boycotts and season tickets not being bought do not hell the club , it's nonsense.

Again let's focus on the fact that the league starts in under 12 weeks and move on.

oregonhibby
29-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Whatever anyone thinks of Rod and Sir Tom, they have done a lot of things right, and we should be thankful for that and I genuinely believe that we are.

I believe that the Club should continue to be run on sound financial terms but there is a need to focus on the purpose of the business which is professional football. If I were the Board I would stop emphasising the latter because that is a given, we know all about the balance sheet and the infrastructure, and now say what is to be done to improve the product which is fundamental to the purpose of the business. There has been a spiral of decline and a number of managers brought in with promises of greatness and performance all of which have failed to perform. We have had a revolving door of players and not all of them bad but even then we have failed to perform. We are entitled to ask why and we are entitled to expect changes to make things improve.

I have worked directly for 5 Chief Executives and advised 6 from an non executive position and the defining characteristic between those who succeed and those who are shown to be failures (which is not the same as having failed) is that they stayed at the party too long and their leaving was more embarrassing than it should have been.

Sometimes the legacy that should be celebrated is tarnished in the end by an acrimonious departure.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Fair enough but isn't change happening? Isn't that why he brought in Butcher? Yes the season finished disaster oils but he was working with probably the worst players at ER for some time.

My point is that Petrie had done well in building thd stadium and managing the finances, he is stepping aside, Leanne will be running things, he will back the manager with more money I am sure for this critical campaign.

You know what , many on here spent months bothered about Hearts demise and sphere did that get us? Let's not make the same mistake here.

Trust me Petrie is going nowhere, we must back the team here of this could get a whole lot worse. Boycotts and season tickets not being bought do not hell the club , it's nonsense.

Again let's focus on the fact that the league starts in under 12 weeks and move on.

I'm sorry again I cannot back this board. What has he done the past 5 years?

What happened when he (side stepped)) last time?

Where has all the bad appointments got us?

How much compo has he blown sacking the idiots he put in charge?

Back him you are backing a liar and I'm not for that. He's cares about nothing but his little SFA job in waiting.

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Whatever anyone thinks of Rod and Sir Tom, they have done a lot of things right, and we should be thankful for that and I genuinely believe that we are.

I believe that the Club should continue to be run on sound financial terms but there is a need to focus on the purpose of the business which is professional football. If I were the Board I would stop emphasising the latter because that is a given, we know all about the balance sheet and the infrastructure, and now say what is to be done to improve the product which is fundamental to the purpose of the business. There has been a spiral of decline and a number of managers brought in with promises of greatness and performance all of which have failed to perform. We have had a revolving door of players and not all of them bad but even then we have failed to perform. We are entitled to ask why and we are entitled to expect changes to make things improve.

I have worked directly for 5 Chief Executives and advised 6 from an non executive position and the defining characteristic between those who succeed and those who are shown to be failures (which is not the same as having failed) is that they stayed at the party too long and their leaving was more embarrassing than it should have been.

Sometimes the legacy that should be celebrated is tarnished in the end by an acrimonious departure.

At last, a balanced post. Good read.

Winston Ingram
29-05-2014, 06:55 AM
I think this is an excellent post from a non hibby in today's Scotsman. As I have said on here before we need to back the board and team now. We are all hurting but all this talk of boycotts etc, how on earth does that help? The season is less that 12 weeks away! We need to stick together.

"Petrie has done a great job for Hibs and the Hibs fans need to be careful about blaming him for everything. Hibs have built a great stadium, have finished their academy and still remain relatively debt free and all of this in times where many around them have floundered and many more expected to follow.
With the stadium finished and the new Management in place, it is clear that Petrie has recognised that his job is almost done and is stepping back anyway. I don't know what more he could have done.
He acknowledged on day 1 that he wasn't a football man - but he has delivered what he stated he would do and that is to get Hibs onto a solid financial platform.
Relegation at worst could last for two years and that assumes that that both Hearts and Rangers get their acts together as well. Hibs should be positive about the future not trying to shoot the very people who have saved them.
Give Butcher time and get rid of some of the dross that has been employed at ER for years and start again. Back your team at the time they need you"

What a load of absolute pish. Great job? What's great about it? The stadium & training ground were built years ago. We last brought through a decent youth player years ago. We last won a trophy years ago.

As for Butcher. Don't get me started.

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 06:55 AM
I've read about 700 GFT Petrie post's, and around 100 STF GTF post's.

What I haven't read yet is one sensible post on a proposed way forward ?

If Petrie fells he is forced to go, I think that may be the spark for STF to pack up, as I'm sure the current succession plan's involve RP, and to a lesser extent some kind of fan ownership.

Be interested to read some constructive post's as how we would move forward, and what potential buyer's are out there, would the banks support us.

STF has always stated that if a buyer came along with the long term security the club requires he would listen.

What he wont do (IMO) is come back to sort out a second mess.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 06:56 AM
At last, a balanced post. Good read.

You do know he's still disagreeing with you yeah?

Gustavo Fring
29-05-2014, 06:58 AM
petrie has done well you say

he's excelled himself this season

an utterly embarrassing record defeat in europe for hibs and scotland , lowest scoring team in the country , lowest crowds for years , out both cups to 2 diddy teams and to cap it off were relegated

oh aye petrie done fantastic

Saorsa
29-05-2014, 07:00 AM
In the last 7 seasons of failure I've backed this board (petrie) with about 6k of my money through season tickets, KfK, player sponsorship, the club store, east terrace stone. In the season the east terrace stones came out alone this board got 1300 quid of my money and tae what ****in' end? Years of abject failure culminating in relegation is where backing this board has taken us. No another penny from me while petrie remains, I've seen too much of my money squandered paying for his **** ups. He should have gone years ago before it got this bad but he's still here stinking the place up. He can GTF.

greenlex
29-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Stadium and training complex complete. Job well done. Footballing side ( you know,the bit that's it's all about) shambles for years. The infrastructure was to the detriment of the playing side. It is now complete and has been for some time. thanks Rod but your time is up. For everyone's sake step aside and leave the football bit to someone else. Your presence on the board actually now undermines all the good you actually have done. Please just step down and disappear.

greenlex
29-05-2014, 07:06 AM

If Petrie fells he is forced to go, I think that may be the spark for STF to pack up, as I'm sure the current succession plan's involve RP, and to a lesser extent some kind of fan ownership.

Be interested to read some constructive post's as how we would move forward, and what potential buyer's are out there, would the banks support us.

STF has always stated that if a buyer came along with the long term security the club requires he would listen.

What he wont do (IMO) is come back to sort out a second mess. STF can sort this mess out by just removing Petrie from the board. He is a shareholder. He doesn't need to be there. If we need a non executive director replace him appoint someone else. The rest of the board can stay. I really don't see a problem here with that. Let LD get on with it.

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 07:11 AM
STF can sort this mess out by just removing Petrie from the board. He is a shareholder. He doesn't need to be there. If we need a non executive director replace him appoint someone else. The rest of the board can stay. I really don't see a problem here with that. Let LD get on with it.

I belief that is pretty much the plan re LD !

Still think STF want's him there as a non paid, non executive director.

Nutmegged
29-05-2014, 07:18 AM
The thing is the infrastructure at Hibernian is brilliant but its just smoke and mirrors, are we better off now as a club than we wee from 2005-2007?, no-one is denying that off the Park Hibs have done well but we're football fans, we want to see a team on the pitch to be proud of, they don't need to be Champions but one that will try and entertain, one with guts and one with pride in their own game, thats all we want.

No-one wants to have the best infrastructure OUTSIDE of the Premiership

Stonewall
29-05-2014, 07:22 AM

You do know that you're complaining (correctly) about some of the abuse you're getting whilst dishing out personal abuse towards RP don't you?

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Christ on a bike.

1. Destroying the quality of the only product you have to sell, thereby causing your revenues to collapse, and then cutting your costs to match your falling revenues, leading to a further fall in the quality of the only product you have to sell and so on and so on, is not "financial prudence" or "evidence of business expertise". It's myopic, reactive beancounting, and it is precisely the reason why we have gone in seven years from a club that used to go and hammer the OF on their patch to a club that has just been relegated from the worst top tier in the history of Scottish football.

2. Give me £16 million in transfer windfalls over a period of four years, and the 3rd/4th/5th highest revenues in Scottish football over two decades, and I will put any club in Scotland (bar The Rangers but including Hearts) on an actual, genuine, secure financial footing, and build them a training ground and a new stand. Just for good measure I will do this without turning them into a laughing stock on the football field and getting them relegated down a division.

For anybody who still thinks Rod Petrie is some kind of business genius, read this:

Running an organisation effectively means:
1. Having a clear grasp of the resources at your disposal.
2. Having a clear vision of the objectives you want to reach.
3. Making sure you have the resources to reach your objectives.
3. Communicating your vision clearly to your resources and giving them clear tasks to accomplish.
4. Following up consistently on your resources to make sure they are accomplishing their tasks.
5. Measuring your achievements, identifying your problems, and doing something about them.

Now you know more about running a business than Rod Petrie does.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 07:24 AM
STF can sort this mess out by just removing Petrie from the board. He is a shareholder. He doesn't need to be there. If we need a non executive director replace him appoint someone else. The rest of the board can stay. I really don't see a problem here with that. Let LD get on with it.This

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Still think STF want's him there as a non paid, non executive director.Not this

greenlex
29-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Still think STF want's him there as a non paid, non executive director.
I'm pretty sure he does but if this is indeed the case then pressure should be put on STF to remove him from the board. His very presence there is doing more harm than good. He is toxic and should be removed for the good of Hibernian Football Club and everyone connected with it.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 07:26 AM
You do know that you're complaining (correctly) about some of the abuse you're getting whilst dishing out personal abuse towards RP don't you?

I don't want anything bad to happen to the man I want him out. I think he's lost the plot if I'm honest.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 07:27 AM

What he wont do (IMO) is come back to sort out a second mess.

How does he intend to sort out His mess?

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Not this

I'm saying STF want's him there - his decision / his club, my gut view is that RP will step down and concentrate on his SFA role, and other directorship's.

I just hope fan's are not expecting miracles from LD, she will be working on a much lesser budget than she envisaged when she accepted the post.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 07:30 AM
How does he intend to sort out His mess?By continuing to do exactly the same things that got us into the mess. With the same person in charge. Apparently.

Islington Hibs
29-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Regarding STF tend to agree until a more proactive owner can be found. That may take a very long time and there are fires and frying pans so not all change is good but we must look for that change as STF is not sufficiently interested and is too much of an absentee landlord for the club to prosper.

In terms of Petrie absolutely not. Lack of vision, disastrous appointments and man-management, lots of marketing gimmicks without substance, apparent arrogance and absolute lack of humility. He has outstayed his welcome by a very significant margin and must go.

In terms of Butcher I suspect he will stay, like it or not, but his behavior over the last six months makes me very wary indeed. This is largely his relegation and the buck stops there.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm saying STF want's him there - his decision / his club, my gut view is that RP will step down and concentrate on his SFA role, and other directorships... I just hope fan's are not expecting miracles from LD, she will be working on a much lesser budget than she envisaged when she accepted the post.I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on the reliability of your gut feel DH. Or on examining chicken entrails, or casting knuckle bones for that matter.

Why don't we just stick to what Rod Petrie has told us, in his own words, in plain English?
...it is in the best interests of the Club for me complete that transition to our new Chief Executive and to oversee the other far reaching changes at the Club as non-executive Chairman'To oversee' means to be in charge of, and 'far-reaching' means long-term, and important.

I therfore conclude, based on what Rod Petrie has told us in his own words in plain English, that he envisions that he will continue to be in charge of long-term and important matters at the club.

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 07:43 AM

I do but at least it's a balanced argument rather than the inane GTF which some spout on here.

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on the reliability of your gut feel DH. Or on examining chicken entrails, or casting knuckle bones for that matter.

Why don't we just stick to what Rod Petrie has told us, in his own words, in plain English?'To oversee' means to be in charge of, and 'far-reaching' means long-term, and important.

I therfore conclude, based on what Rod Petrie has told us in his own words in plain English, that he envisions that he will continue to be in charge of long-term and important matters at the club.

As you say my gut feel - whatever happens RP and STF will decide.

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 07:45 AM
petrie has done well you say

he's excelled himself this season

an utterly embarrassing record defeat in europe for hibs and scotland , lowest scoring team in the country , lowest crowds for years , out both cups to 2 diddy teams and to cap it off were relegated

oh aye petrie done fantastic

As I asked you previously what's your plan?

greenpaper55
29-05-2014, 07:45 AM
I do but at least it's a balanced argument rather than the inane GTF which some spout on here.

You just don't get it do you ?.

Dobosz83
29-05-2014, 07:49 AM
There's a negative cloud that will remain over this club until Petrie is gone. It's gone to toxic levels now, some over the top but IMO it's time to go, pronto.

This farce has been on the cards from the moment we lifted the League Cup in 07. Half that side went for crazy money thereafter, Thommo for £2 million before the final. Jones, Whitaker, Murphy, Brown, Sproule, Fletcher etc. how much was used to keep the squad competitive? Next to nothing.

Instead, debt, stadium, training facility was prioritised. We've seen a revolving door of managers and players with penny pinching ever since. These facilities have failed nmiserably to attract talent and produce it, why?

Fact is, we've been relegated twice since Petrie has been in the boardroom, bare in mind the club was founded in 1875 and have now been relegated 3 times in its history.

In recent times we've had 2 Cup final humiliations, Malmo and Hamilton. All at a time when our 2 biggest rivals were on their knees. They've had a great laugh and will likely do so again during our Championship campaign forthcoming.

In my 30 years, Hibs have beaten Hearts 21 times. Scandelous. I'm scunnered with what has become of Hibs. There are still fans having a go at people not renewing, if you want to support this regime, bash on but for me... Petrie and this board are done.

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 07:51 AM
You just don't get it do you ?.

Enlighten me, please........

whats your "rescue" plan? I'm all ears.......

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 07:51 AM

That's true!

greenginger
29-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on the reliability of your gut feel DH. Or on examining chicken entrails, or casting knuckle bones for that matter.

Why don't we just stick to what Rod Petrie has told us, in his own words, in plain English?'To oversee' means to be in charge of, and 'far-reaching' means long-term, and important.

And if the proposal is to transfer the Club ownership to a fans trust has that got to be binned because the priority is to bin Petrie.

The forthcoming changes at HFC will be driven by Petrie but he could manage them from a position of non-exec. director, as could his SFA aspirations.

Petrie's resignation as Chairman and a little bit contrition would be enough for me IF, the " far-reaching " proposals are what I hope they are.

lucky
29-05-2014, 08:02 AM
We have excellent stadium , which no one wants to go to because of the football being played there.
East mains is a training facility not an academy , but it appears to have given us a team that was the slowest in the league.
RP got lucky with the golden generation and spent money on bricks and mortar. We've had a few lovely balance sheets and 2 League cups in 20 odd years. As supporters we are just sick and tired of Hibs accepting second best on the pitch. It's time for a change

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 08:03 AM
1. Rod Petrie to resign and leave the Board
2. The rest of the Board to appoint an interim Chairman (There are enough of them FFS, and they've been sitting around like nodding dogs for long enough while the club falls apart)
3. Leeann Dempster to join the Board as MD
4. Short-term - LD to be in charge of all operational matters, Club Sec to be in charge of all secretarial duties, Finance Director to be in charge of all financial matters
5. Immediate action to recruit a new long-term chairman who knows something about football and how to run a business (preferably successfully)
6. Review of all existing members of Board based on two questions: 1. What use have you been in the past? 2. What use do you expect to be in the future?
7. Get rid of any members of Board who can't come up with a useful answer.
8. Review structure and membership of Board and roles of Board members, and make any necessary changes to both.
9. Review long-term roles and responsibilities of executive directors and make any necessary changes.
8. Replace one existing Board Member with a Director of Football to oversee all long-term football-related issues and ensure one single person in charge of all football-related matters at Board level - especially to co-ordinate Academy up to FirstTeam and make sure there is a proper strategy in place
9. LD to develop an immediate strategy to re-engage with the thousands of fans who have deserted or are deserting Hibs, and to do whatever is necessary to bring as many of them back as possible.

That for starters.

Edit:
Ownership seems to be a bit of a hot button, but frankly it is not something that can or should be addressed in the short term, so:

10. Once all of the above has been done, Chairman to oversee a project defining the long-term ownership structure of the club - using both external and internal resources.

Gustavo Fring
29-05-2014, 08:10 AM

1. rod petrie to leave the club
2. rod petrie never to set foot inside easter road again
3. rod petrie banished to somewhere inside the arctic circle to reflect on his failings as a football chairman

greenginger
29-05-2014, 08:16 AM
1. Rod Petrie to resign and leave the Board

Edit:
Ownership seems to be a bit of a hot button, but frankly it is not something that can or should be addressed in the short term, so:

10. Once all of the above has been done, Chairman to oversee a project defining the long-term ownership structure of the club - using both external and internal resources.

Can you clarify what you actually mean by , " external and internal resources " ?

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Can you clarify what you actually mean by , " external and internal resources " ?Consultation with a wide range of external representatives - fan groups, local Council, local community, former players, prominent individuals with an interest or something sensible to say on the matter, other clubs who have gone through or are proposing to go through similar processes etc.

Not an internally-driven internally-decided process restricted to those within the club.

Caversham Green
29-05-2014, 08:55 AM
And if the proposal is to transfer the Club ownership to a fans trust has that got to be binned because the priority is to bin Petrie.

The forthcoming changes at HFC will be driven by Petrie but he could manage them from a position of non-exec. director, as could his SFA aspirations.

Petrie's resignation as Chairman and a little bit contrition would be enough for me IF, the " far-reaching " proposals are what I hope they are.

I think the very first priority for the club should be to tell us in as much detail as possible what these far-reaching changes entail. As it stands we don't know whether its a fundamental change in the structure of the club or just a reshuffle of the board.

I would hope that Rod will outline these changes at the forthcoming meeting with HSA representatives, otherwise the meeting will be a waste of everyone's time. As an aside, the HSA representatives are representing people who will not be at the meeting, so confidentiality cannot be an acceptable condition. I hope they make it clear at the outset that they will publish their notes and minutes in full.

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2014, 09:03 AM
You all wanted Fenlon gone and look how that went :greengrin

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I think the very first priority for the club should be to tell us in as much detail as possible what these far-reaching changes entail. As it stands we don't know whether its a fundamental change in the structure of the club or just a reshuffle of the board... I would hope that Rod will outline these changes at the forthcoming meeting with HSA representatives, otherwise the meeting will be a waste of everyone's time. As an aside, the HSA representatives are representing people who will not be at the meeting, so confidentiality cannot be an acceptable condition. I hope they make it clear at the outset that they will publish their notes and minutes in full.
Absolutely. It's not like we're a publicly-quoted company whose share price could be affected. There is absolutely no justification for secrecy - or "commercial confidentiality", as it is likely to be presented.

On the contrary, given the catastrophic situation we are in, everyone involved in the club should be explaining as quickly, and in as much detail as they possibly can, exactly what they are planning to do to turn things round.

The Green Goblin
29-05-2014, 10:02 AM
You all wanted Fenlon gone and look how that went :greengrin

Who could ever have imagined that there was someone out there who could make our team even worse than Fenlon did? You're always clever in hindsight...

greenginger
29-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Consultation with a wide range of external representatives - fan groups, local Council, local community, former players, prominent individuals with an interest or something sensible to say on the matter, other clubs who have gone through or are proposing to go through similar processes etc.

Not an internally-driven internally-decided process restricted to those within the club.

Right, you were referring to human resources, my problem with the way forward concerns financial resources.

At the moment the Club has over £ 8 million of secured debt ( with a large top-up this year ) all ultimately secured by STF and the lenders ain't going to un-secure the debt unless a very rich replacement for STF can be found or several hundred Hibbies are willing to put up their houses and pensions as alternative security.

STF is not going to hand over running of the Club to persons he cannot control whilst he is still exposed to the Club debts, unless he is willing to write-off all such debts.

If he does that, he will want a strong system of financial governance in place so we are not knocking on his door a few years down the road because the people in control have " speculated to accumulate " or made " investments in the squad ".

I think STF will only trust Petrie to deliver the changes.

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I think petries Time is up and I want him to leave but I have to admit I'm pretty uncomfortable with the level of hatred directed towards him just now.

There are things he's done well for this club and I appreciate all the work he's put in. That said though he's clearly not got a clue how to get success on the pitch and that's where it matters.

I also appreciate he's not going to go quietly so the aggressive approach we're seeing now will probably be the only way we'll see change.

The reason he's being greeted with such hatred is because he treats us like we're stupid. He lies and patronises his way out of situations and thinks we all can't see what he's doing.

Bad Martini
29-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Actually, petrie hasn't done well building us a training centre that has produced largely nothing and a stand that has been full twice since it was built.

We didn't NEED these things.

We needed players. And not the useless has beens and never will bee's we got.

Bottom line, this is NOT good business. Last Sunday proved that.

ENDOF

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

greenpaper55
29-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Right, you were referring to human resources, my problem with the way forward concerns financial resources.

At the moment the Club has over £ 8 million of secured debt ( with a large top-up this year ) all ultimately secured by STF and the lenders ain't going to un-secure the debt unless a very rich replacement for STF can be found or several hundred Hibbies are willing to put up their houses and pensions as alternative security.

STF is not going to hand over running of the Club to persons he cannot control whilst he is still exposed to the Club debts, unless he is willing to write-off all such debts.

If he does that, he will want a strong system of financial governance in place so we are not knocking on his door a few years down the road because the people in control have " speculated to accumulate " or made " investments in the squad ".

What has been the problem with petrie delivering the changes before now ?, to do nothing will kill our club with that idiot at the helm.

Geo_1875
29-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Who could ever have imagined that there was someone out there who could make our team even worse than Fenlon did? You're always clever in hindsight...

But Rod listened to the "protesters" who wanted rid of Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood and Fenlon. Now they want him to take all the blame. The man can't win with some people. I'd rather he had stood his ground and backed his choices, except Calderwood. We wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 11:18 AM
But Rod listened to the "protesters" who wanted rid of Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood and Fenlon. Now they want him to take all the blame. The man can't win with some people. I'd rather he had stood his ground and backed his choices, except Calderwood. We wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

I agree if we'd kept Fenlon we'd still be in the SPFL, but we'd still be watching god awful football. It makes no difference what we the fans want, its down to ONE man who fires and hires and thats Petrie.

Can you explain how a team that were terrible to watch, but won a few and lost a few could go on a run of results where we win one game in 19, just because the manager was changed?:confused:

Cropley10
29-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Here's the plan, it's quite simple.

STF continues to be the owner. RP continues to own 10% of Hibs.

RP steps completely away from Hibs and has ZERO to do with running anything. He has to be SEEN to be doing this.

LD and the remaining Directors and staff get on with the job of re-building the Club.

RP has become a toxic asset - his very presence and involvement will only cause further problems.

greenginger
29-05-2014, 11:23 AM
What has been the problem with petrie delivering the changes before now ?, to do nothing will kill our club with that idiot at the helm.

Presumably because STF has not asked for changes until now.

Agree changes must be made, and if they are the right changes, and Petrie has been given the roll to deliver them I think he should be allowed the opportunity to make them.

If it is just more of the same old , same old, then you can lynch him if you like, in fact I'll buy the rope. :greengrin

#2 Double Tap
29-05-2014, 11:37 AM

You can't be serious, It is this regime that has caused the mess we are in, Rod Petries decisions have proven to be bad over a 7 year period, the team have suffered relegation - wake up.

eggbamyasi
29-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I agree if we'd kept Fenlon we'd still be in the SPFL, but we'd still be watching god awful football. It makes no difference what we the fans want, its down to ONE man who fires and hires and thats Petrie.

Can you explain how a team that were terrible to watch, but won a few and lost a few could go on a run of results where we win one game in 19, just because the manager was changed?:confused:

Its reasonably obvious . And has been said over and over by many . But you and a select few of the angry gtf brigade have suddenly got your rose tinted pat fenlon glasses on . good post by op and good reasoned responses by some . I think rp should look to step down or actually take a back seat and let LD do the job . But I 100% agree we need to get ready for next season and not go anywhere near boycotts . Were not rangers and were not in a sotuation close to them to need to finacially hurt the team .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Boris
29-05-2014, 11:57 AM
The sole aim of any professional football club, at whatever level it operates, should be to be the best that it can be & in doing so be a source of pride to its supporters & to the community it represents.

Failed miserably.

Time for a change on all fronts.

Sprouleflyer
29-05-2014, 12:14 PM

TC, Thats is quite a statement. Are you able to produce these facts that Perie is indeed a liar?

If he is a liar, then his roll at the club has become unatenable and it is just through sheer arrogance that he is remaining in the roll or soon to me moved to this non exc director position.

Many, no all, Hibs fans have their own opinion of Petrie, my own opinion is his time is up, in fact his time was up after the East Stand was built, stadium and training facitity completed and finances under control. Someone else with a more football oriented background should have taken control at that time to utalise the infastructure and move the club forward on the park.

We live in a blame society, and quite rightly someone has to fall on the sword for Hibs woes....for me this should be Petrie but with all that has gone on, at the moment I can't see where he has openly lied to the Hibs support.

This is not a personal attack on you TC, just interested where I have missed these lies.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Its reasonably obvious . And has been said over and over by many . But you and a select few of the angry gtf brigade have suddenly got your rose tinted pat fenlon glasses on . good post by op and good reasoned responses by some . I think rp should look to step down or actually take a back seat and let LD do the job . But I 100% agree we need to get ready for next season and not go anywhere near boycotts . Were not rangers and were not in a sotuation close to them to need to finacially hurt the team .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What a load of tripe, most people wanted Fenlon gone, but we did not want him replaced with someone worse, and thats what we got. Petrie is to blame, and Petrie should be out the door now and take Butcher with him.

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2014, 12:22 PM

It would be a hell of a lot easier to manage these debts if we had 12,000 ST holders and circa 14,000 home crowds.

This is the core of the business. At the end of the day what is professional football about .... its simple .... winning stuff and attracting paying customers through a decent product on the park. The job of the people running a club is to deliver that ..... if after a sustained period the people in charge have not done that, then they have failed.

To attain the above it is also the job of the board to attract investment to the club in the form of sponsors TV deals and the like ...... but the point of that is to invest in the team ........ at Hibs these things are used to keep the club afloat because the product on the park has been poor for years. Fans are attracted by appealing to their loyalty, sentiment and in the last two seasons bribery through linking Cup final tickets to season tickets. The less said about the cringeworthy campaign to sell STs for next season the better.

Last season Hibs were presented with a golden opportunity to take advantage of a situation unique to the last 100 years in Scottish football. They may not be football men ... but for sure the folk running Hibs, especially STF and RP are business men. In any business surely the ability to identify these opportunities and take advantage of them is fundamental ... it is at that point that any business will take a calculated risk because the chance is just too good to pass up .............. we didn't do that.

Because of that they have not only failed on the football front, they have failed in business as well .... the one thing we all agree they are supposed to be good at.

Failure all round ........... why the hell would anybody think that these folk are fit or have the ability to ... 1) dig the club out of the hole its in ... 2) take it forward.

I'm fed up of posts telling me what STF and RP wont do and why ............ I want to hear from STF what he intends to do about the mess his minions have got us into ..... I don't give a stuff if he doesn't care about football ....... we do and if he is to continue to own Hibs, even if he never wanted to, he has to face up to his responsibility to the supporters of the club. That is part of his job as owner whether he likes it or not ...... his silence is a bloody insult.

allezsauzee
29-05-2014, 12:31 PM
What a load of tripe, most people wanted Fenlon gone, but we did not want him replaced with someone worse, and thats what we got. Petrie is to blame, and Petrie should be out the door now and take Butcher with him.

this is true...but who was the manager that most Hibbies wanted?

Petrie's time as Chief Exec is up, Leann Dempster is taking over, so I'm not sure what exactly people are campaigning for with regards to the every day running of the club. Nobody in their right mind is going to pour endless amounts of cash into a Scottish football club so I'd rather the shares were in the hands of people like Farmer and Petrie who aren't just going to sell out to crooks like Romanov and Giovanni Di Stefano who will ruin the club financially rather than have the finances on an even keel.

#2 Double Tap
29-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Petrie's time as Chief Exec is up, Leann Dempster is taking over, so I'm not sure what exactly people are campaigning for with regards to the every day running of the club. Nobody in their right mind is going to pour endless amounts of cash into a Scottish football club so I'd rather the shares were in the hands of people like Farmer and Petrie who aren't just going to sell out to crooks like Romanov and Giovanni Di Stefano who will ruin the club financially rather than have the finances on an even keel.

and if dempster is another petrie wonder decision, where will that leave us?

Nazz
29-05-2014, 12:35 PM

I've seen you post this quote several times and I think it's time to pull you up on your definition of 'far-reaching'. Far-reaching does not mean long-term. Far-reaching can be used to describe something that affects a lot of people or things in an important way. The duration of said activity is not specified. Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/far-reaching (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/far-reaching?q=far-reaching)

So, with this definition, Rod Petrie has told us that he will be in charge of sth that will affect many people or things in an important way. This may be a short- or long-term activity. We don't know the duration. He didn't tell us.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 12:36 PM

what has that got to do with this, Petrie is in charge of recruitment, and is handsomely paid for that. He's employed to get the best man, not the fans choice.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 12:36 PM
TC, Thats is quite a statement. Are you able to produce these facts that Perie is indeed a liar?

If he is a liar, then his roll at the club has become unatenable and it is just through sheer arrogance that he is remaining in the roll or soon to me moved to this non exc director position.

Many, no all, Hibs fans have their own opinion of Petrie, my own opinion is his time is up, in fact his time was up after the East Stand was built, stadium and training facitity completed and finances under control. Someone else with a more football oriented background should have taken control at that time to utalise the infastructure and move the club forward on the park.

We live in a blame society, and quite rightly someone has to fall on the sword for Hibs woes....for me this should be Petrie but with all that has gone on, at the moment I can't see where he has openly lied to the Hibs support.

This is not a personal attack on you TC, just interested where I have missed these lies.

I don't mind at all answering this. Craig Levein spoke with Rod about Pat Fenlon, it was Rods final decision bringing him in no one else's mate.

He lied when he said he would not interfere the last time he (side stepped) in fact he did the complete opposite and was over seeing and still making the big decisions that he said he'd left to others.

Hence why they left the post in the end as they were not free to do the job they were promised.

allezsauzee
29-05-2014, 12:43 PM
what has that got to do with this, Petrie is in charge of recruitment, and is handsomely paid for that. He's employed to get the best man, not the fans choice.

Hibbies wanted Butcher because he had a superb record at ICT. Is it not perfectly reasonable that Rod Petrie felt the same way?

So basically we want somebody running the club who has a fully functioning crystal ball?

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Hibbies wanted Butcher because he had a superb record at ICT. Is it not perfectly reasonable that Rod Petrie felt the same way?

So basically we want somebody running the club who has a fully functioning crystal ball?

Petrie hasn't just appointed duds.

He's appointed some decent managers too and tied their hands behind their back.

Stonewall
29-05-2014, 01:16 PM
I don't want anything bad to happen to the man I want him out. I think he's lost the plot if I'm honest.

Well calling repeatedly calling someone a liar might be deemed abusive and in any case is a very big statement. I recall "carefully chosen" words worthy of a politician but not outright lies.

I think I'm going to take myself of here for a few weeks before I get involved in any arguments with people I basically agree with or get any more depressed about what some people (not you) are posting.

Bye for now.

Diclonius
29-05-2014, 01:19 PM
;4038259']Petrie hasn't just appointed duds.

He's appointed some decent managers too and tied their hands behind their back.

Exactly.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Well calling repeatedly calling someone a liar might be deemed abusive and in any case is a very big statement. I recall "carefully chosen" words worthy of a politician but not outright lies.

I think I'm going to take myself of here for a few weeks before I get involved in any arguments with people I basically agree with or get any more depressed about what some people (not you) are posting.

Bye for now.

I think I'll be doing the same to be fair.

I posted why I called him a liar by the way. I wouldn't say it unless i could back it up. He's lied to the fans of this club so that's another reason I want him out bud.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I've seen you post this quote several times and I think it's time to pull you up on your definition of 'far-reaching'. Far-reaching does not mean long-term. Far-reaching can be used to describe something that affects a lot of people or things in an important way. The duration of said activity is not specified. Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/far-reaching (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/far-reaching?q=far-reaching)

So, with this definition, Rod Petrie has told us that he will be in charge of sth that will affect many people or things in an important way. This may be a short- or long-term activity. We don't know the duration. He didn't tell us.I know.

I only kept repeating it in the hope that eventually somebody would come along and quote the Oxford Dictionary at me. In big writing.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 01:37 PM

So basically we want somebody running the club who has a fully functioning crystal ball?Crystal balls are for foretelling the future. If Petrie wants to know how his next managerial appointment is going to perform, he needs to look back, not forward. At the previous 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.

Nazz
29-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I know.

I only kept repeating it in the hope that eventually somebody would come along and quote the Oxford Dictionary at me. In big writing.

I'm not quoting the Oxford Dictionary at you. The link is there for anybody who wants to check the accuracy of my post. And the font size is irrelevant. It's a suitable size for me to read comfortably.

Lester B
29-05-2014, 02:20 PM
I know.

:top marks 11 in fact!!

Paisley Hibby
29-05-2014, 02:32 PM
;4038066']The reason he's being greeted with such hatred is because he treats us like we're stupid. He lies and patronises his way out of situations and thinks we all can't see what he's doing.

When has Petrie ever lied and what did he lie about? He's made mistakes and maybe his people skills are not the best but I don't think he's a liar. So if you're going to make claims like that I suggest you substantiate them.

Paisley Hibby
29-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I don't mind at all answering this. Craig Levein spoke with Rod about Pat Fenlon, it was Rods final decision bringing him in no one else's mate.

He lied when he said he would not interfere the last time he (side stepped) in fact he did the complete opposite and was over seeing and still making the big decisions that he said he'd left to others.

Hence why they left the post in the end as they were not free to do the job they were promised.

Where's your evidence for all that or are those just more hibs net FACTS?

Jonnyboy
29-05-2014, 02:37 PM

STF can sort this mess out by just removing Petrie from the board. He is a shareholder. He doesn't need to be there. If we need a non executive director replace him appoint someone else. The rest of the board can stay. I really don't see a problem here with that. Let LD get on with it.

This, in both parts highlighted

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Where's your evidence for all that or are those just more hibs net FACTS?

No, many in the game know this. Ex players, recent players, board members etc..

He lies and I don't trust him.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm not quoting the Oxford Dictionary at you. The link is there for anybody who wants to check the accuracy of my post. And the font size is irrelevant. It's a suitable size for me to read comfortably.
Ok, I apologise. And you're right. But only on a pedantic level.

Anyone who seriously imagines that what Petrie envisioned when he issued that statement is that he'd be around just for a couple of months to top and tail things, and then he'd be packing his bags, is unconscionably naive. He had no intention of leaving, or of giving up overall control. Why should he, when STF has made it crystal clear that he wants Rod around, and he wants him in overall control.

People can tell me that this is only speculation, and I can't be certain that it's true, but hey. I can't be certain that the sun will rise tomorrow. I can make a bloody good guess though, and I'm certain I would be right.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 02:45 PM
:top marks 11 in fact!!Nah it was OTT. I've apologised.

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Don't worry - LD will be getting pelters on here soon, from all the so called "experts" on running a business with a multi million pound turnover - that is one thing this board is blessed with so many financial experts - CG and CWG excluded :rolleyes:

Still we can always rely on the "four in hand" media team if all else fails.

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 03:16 PM
When has Petrie ever lied and what did he lie about? He's made mistakes and maybe his people skills are not the best but I don't think he's a liar. So if you're going to make claims like that I suggest you substantiate them.

He lies all the time. Can you honestly say anything he's said in the recent past has become a reality?

He's stated before he doesn't take a wage. Well, he does.

Michael
29-05-2014, 03:18 PM
;4038422']He lies all the time. Can you honestly say anything he's said in the recent past has become a reality?

Proof?

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 03:19 PM
;4038422']He lies all the time. Can you honestly say anything he's said in the recent past has become a reality?

So you are saying he takes a wage directly from Hibs ?

Source ?

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Source ?

Somebody posted it in one of the various threads on here I'm not going to go looking for it.

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 03:22 PM
;4038429']Somebody posted it in one of the various threads on here I'm not going to go looking for it.

Wow :faf:

oregonhibby
29-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Mmm same as Wikipedia then - it must be true. This has been done to death - he doesn't otherwise the accounts deposited at Co House would be knowingly false and that would be illegal and a bigger issue for the auditors!

Peevemor
29-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Don't worry - LD will be getting pelters on here soon, from all the so called "experts" on running a business with a multi million pound turnover - that is one thing this board is blessed with so many financial experts - CG and CWG excluded :rolleyes:

Still we can always rely on the "four in hand" media team if all else fails.

She'll get all the credit for any popular stuff with the rest being put down to RP/STF pulling the strings behind the scenes.

FACT!

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2014, 03:27 PM

When he said he didn't take a wage, he didn't. That can be seen in the (audited) accounts.

The jury is out on whether he does at the moment. Some (reputable) posters think he does; I am not convinced.

Sprouleflyer
29-05-2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks for coming back TC :aok:

I am still to be convinced that the man out and out lied to the support, though.

I have no contacts within the club, and I know you do and you are willing to put your neck on the line on here with snippets you pick up from your contacts. Some will bear fruit and some not, thats the nature of gossip, nobody is 100% correct all the time!

Hopefully you will have plenty to pass on during the close season.

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks for coming back TC :aok:

I am still to be convinced that the man out and out lied to the support, though.

I have no contacts within the club, and I know you do and you are willing to put your neck on the line on here with snippets you pick up from your contacts. Some will bear fruit and some not, thats the nature of gossip, nobody is 100% correct all the time!

Hopefully you will have plenty to pass on during the close season.

Hopefully be good news rather than more doom and gloom. :)

Thecat23
29-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Wow :faf:

Not sure what's funny. Most thought he wasn't, turned out that he may be getting up to £58k a year from Hibs. I certainly didn't believe he was working for free and seems that I was right.

I'm sure it will come out fairly soon though and everyone will be able to view exactly how much he's been getting.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Source ?Ironically, it was one of the two posters you identified as 'people who actually know what they are talking about' in your previous post. FWIW I agree with him, and not the other one (:wink:), because the non-execs who aren't paid a salary were listed in the last set of accounts, and Rod wasn't one of them.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 03:37 PM

:faf: Quality, so the man in charge is not responsible for the managers he appoints, because the supporters or some of them would have done the same thing?

Caversham Green
29-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Since I seem to have opened this can of pigeons up and put the cat among the worms I should probably respond. I believe he does take a salary and he has never denied it as far as I'm aware.

What he has done is said, when asked the question at an AGM during the time of Scott & Fife, that he had not taken a salary during that particular year - I believe that to be true, however since they both left I believe he started taking a salary again because he had reverted to the post of CEO. I can't say for sure that I'm right, but the accounts since that period give the names of the unpaid directors and Rod is not one of them. Unless I've missed it he has never stated he was unpaid apart form that one specific period therefore he has not lied about it.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Wow :faf:Jonnyboy and Peevemor had the grace to apologise when it was pointed out to them - by Caversham Green - that they were probably wrong. I trust if he proves to be right you'll do the same.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2014, 03:50 PM
That was surmised from the last accounts, where it mentions the total amount in salary paid to Director, then goes on to name all non-paid directors, which was everyone except Petrie. The only logical conclusion to take from this is that HE was the one that was paid.

Not quite.

The accounts identified the non-execs, who are not paid.

There remained 4 directors in that year who were executives, 3 for the full year and Scott Lindsay for part of the year. The amount shown in the accounts was £158k I think, the total payments to all paid directors.

The accounts do not say who WAS paid. Cav's assumption, which is reasonable, is that the £158k shared between the 3/4 would have included some to RP. I am not convinced.

The point is, and I'm sure Cav thinks this way too.... is that there is plenty ammunition out there to batter Rod with, without conjecture and agenda-led assumptions on which we are not sure.

Edit... naff off for deleting your post. I put a lot of work into my reply :)))

DarlingtonHibee
29-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Jonnyboy and Peevemor had the grace to apologise when it was pointed out to them - by Caversham Green - that they were probably wrong. I trust if he proves to be right you'll do the same.

Yes I will, but this is the needle in the haystack - we have bigger issues to worry about

Caversham Green
29-05-2014, 03:54 PM
That was surmised from the last accounts, where it mentions the total amount in salary paid to Director, then goes on to name all non-paid directors, which was everyone except Petrie. The only logical conclusion to take from this is that HE was the one that was paid.

Not the one - there were three paid directors - Jamie Marwick, FD and very possibly the highest paid, Gary O'Hagan - club secretary, a more demanding job than you might think, and Rod - CEO. Scott Lindsay was also a paid director for part of that year. The total amount of remuneration (including benefits and pension contributions) was £154,535, the highest paid director received a basic of £58,524 plus benefits to the value of £7,361 and pension contributions of £5,000. The benefits were probably a company car rather than any monetary value.

Edit: CWG naff off with getting in there before me and Keekaboo for deleting your post.

Lee
29-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: point in bold - hasn't the stadium been finished for 2 years+ now? And we've had new management almost every November for pretty much the last 4 or 5 years? Why recruit Leann now and not 2-3 years ago, surely his "job" was done then?

Put very simply, in Petrie, we have a reactive Chairman - someone who (when the proverbial hits the fan) realises something needs to change (and normally to save his own skin rather than for the greater good of the club). Normally the reactive action is to avoid impacting revenue too, rather than because it's a change he felt the club needed.

I want a board who are proactive in leading the team forward and not simply reactive all the time - someone who has a genuine vision for the club without impacting the team on the pitch, and knows what is required milestone wise to achieve this (and actually TELLS us what these milestones are, so we as fans can buy into this vision - put it this way, any plans to improve the team and club as a whole won't work unless they have our buy-in, unless there's a rich sugar daddy out there willing to prove me wrong) .

Yeah, he had a vision for the CLUB (not the team) in terms of improving infrastructure - there's no doubting he achieved this objective some time ago (and whether it's because of his astute leadership or simply being in the right place at the right time in terms of player sales is another story). If his plan was to step aside and allow a new Chief Exec to manage day to day running of the club, why wait till now? And why did he retain accountability for contract negotiations and similar activities when Scott Lindsay was appointed in 2008? And why wait so long to appoint a replacement?

There's absolutely no doubts we need to back the club just now, but that doesn't mean we need to back how the current regime operate, without challenge or dialogue.

What is so difficult in having a structure at the club? There is absolutely no connection between our youth set ups and our first team - if we had a "5 year plan" surely we should have a better scouting network (it's failed since Park left) a more robust model in terms of coaching set up (dare I say first team and youth teams using similar formations or approach to playing the game, making the transition to 1st team level easier?)

Has Petrie or the board given ANY consideration to this? So far, it looks like the focus is simply on margin and poor marketing to increase revenue, rather than having a model or structure to the footballing side of the club.

The club needs football people involved as well as accountants and bean counters - Bruce Langham is possibly a step in the right direction, and I'm hoping Dempster will be too, but it's all in vain if Petrie continues to pull the strings and the club operation to the current business model they do today, which is essentially "keep a tight ship and plod along"!

While I appreciate walking away tomorrow would probably leave us in a worse off position in terms of distractions from rebuilding the team (just look at the David Gill / Ed Woodward scenario at Man Utd last summer, and the impact on sorting budgets and allowing for signings) but once Dempster's introduction / handover at the club is complete, he really needs to consider an exit strategy to allow the club to grow.

Sunday needs to be a turning point - we need a board who can communicate with the fans regularly via working groups, a board who actually understands why we have failed in the last 5-7 years (and how to address it from top to bottom!) and a board who understands the balance between running the club diligently and having a team on the park the fans can be proud of.

Whether than means a director of football managing budgets and contracts or actually having a football man / woman or two on the board and leaving the finances to Dempster too, I'll leave that to someone more qualified to answer than me!

Either way, the whole operating model of the club needs to change - not too much of a risky wish surely, is it?

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Since I seem to have opened this can of pigeons up and put the cat among the worms I should probably respond. I believe he does take a salary and he has never denied it as far as I'm aware.

What he has done is said, when asked the question at an AGM during the time of Scott & Fife, that he had not taken a salary during that particular year - I believe that to be true, however since they both left I believe he started taking a salary again because he had reverted to the post of CEO. I can't say for sure that I'm right, but the accounts since that period give the names of the unpaid directors and Rod is not one of them. Unless I've missed it he has never stated he was unpaid apart form that one specific period therefore he has not lied about it.

Thanks for that. A misunderstanding then but another case of Petrie not keeping us in the loop.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Yes I will, but this is the needle in the haystack - we have bigger issues to worry aboutEssentially I agree with you, but £58k would pay for a pretty decent player in today's market.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Essentially I agree with you, but £58k would pay for a pretty decent player in today's market.

He didn't say that RP got £58k :wink:

Caversham Green
;4038492']Thanks for that. A misunderstanding then but another case of Petrie not keeping us in the loop.

TBH, I doubt if he was aware that any loop existed - I certainly wasn't until very recently, and it's not exactly the most pressing issue facing the club at the moment. There's plenty to criticise him for but I think he's pretty much blameless here.

Peevemor
;4038492']Thanks for that. A misunderstanding then but another case of Petrie not keeping us in the loop.

Hardly.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 04:10 PM
TBH, I doubt if he was aware that any loop existed - I certainly wasn't until very recently, and it's not exactly the most pressing issue facing the club at the moment. There's plenty to criticise him for but I think he's pretty much blameless here.I doubt that Rod would recognise any kind of loop that the fans might be kept in until it went round his neck...

Cropley10
29-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I doubt that Rod would recognise any kind of loop that the fans might be kept in until it went round his neck...

Obviously that's tongue in cheek, a metaphor - for any who are easily offended and/or who might think this was in some way threatening:greengrin

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Obviously that's tongue in cheek, a metaphor - for any who are easily offended and/or who might think this was in some way threatening:greengrinIt would be terrible if somebody like, say, Blackpool Hibs, were to interpret it as a suggestion...

greenginger
29-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Petrie works full-time for Tom Farmer mostly looking after his many property and financial investments. He will be paid his salary from STF's main holding company but whether any of his costs are allocated to HFC for his Hibs hours, I would'nt know.

Amanda Jones is not paid a salary but her firm McClay Murray and Spens, will charge Hibs for her time dealing with HR. contracts etc.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2014, 04:21 PM
It would be terrible if somebody like, say, Blackpool Hibs, were to interpret it as a suggestion...

I'd interpret it more as a solution. :wink:

Keith_M
29-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Edit... naff off for deleting your post. I put a lot of work into my reply :)))

Sorry, bad timing

:wink:

Bearders
29-05-2014, 04:23 PM
When he said he didn't take a wage, he didn't. That can be seen in the (audited) accounts.

The jury is out on whether he does at the moment. Some (reputable) posters think he does; I am not convinced.

Audited accounts are just that so up front he hasn't been salaried but as we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

FWIW, Petrie's single biggest failing in my opinion, is that he genuinely thinks he is a "football" man. I recall an AGM years ago when he took exception to a statement from the floor that the Board lacked football people. We then got the 15 minute lecture which was all hot air. We have the non Exec chap Bruce L that gets introduced each year as having been on the Board at Aston Villa. What influence do we think Bruce or any other Board member really has?

Without continuing to go over old ground on managerial appointments, do we know who appointed Adams and that Clown Brown. Who signed GoC and Ivan for a second time? Was that Petrie ? None of these signings worked out. I'm sure there are many other examples. Lack of football awareness and/or interfering in an area that he has little knowledge. He may know a flanker from a hooker all the same.................

One Day Soon
29-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I doubt that Rod would recognise any kind of loop that the fans might be kept in until it went round his neck...

No need whatsoever.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 04:31 PM
No need whatsoever.Really? Fantastic. What are you planning to use instead?

:na na:

Franck Stanton
29-05-2014, 04:37 PM
IMO Petrie hasn't done well AT ALL. True we have a completed stadium and training facility. However the majority, if not all the cash to do these things came from the sale of "The Golden Generation". NOT by his financial genious. He has , repeatedly appointed managers who just could not deliver a decent team, continually accept second-rate footballers most of whom I refuse to believe were any managers 1st pick transfer targets,no, you will never convince me he has been god for my Club. Get him out NOW.

emerald green
29-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Notice you said it was a non Hibby who said it! Says it all really. Stinks of hearts fans having a right laugh at us and wanting us to continue down the same path of self destruction.

Good point. Who was this "non Hibby"? Presumably someone who hasn't had to sit and suffer as our club has gone to rack and ruin, and now catastrophic relegation, under Petrie's stewardship.

It's very nice to have a great stadium and training centre, but I would rather have a good team on the pitch first and foremost. He can go and f*** right off.

One Day Soon
29-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Really? Fantastic. What are you planning to use instead?

:na na:

People posting these remarks simply serves to undermine the very strong case for Petrie to move on. It is distasteful and really not helpful.

Caversham Green
29-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Petrie works full-time for Tom Farmer mostly looking after his many property and financial investments. He will be paid his salary from STF's main holding company but whether any of his costs are allocated to HFC for his Hibs hours, I would'nt know.

Amanda Jones is not paid a salary but her firm McClay Murray and Spens, will charge Hibs for her time dealing with HR. contracts etc.

Any payments to firms/companies that have connections to directors have to be reported in the accounts - there have been no such reports in the published accounts, which leads me to believe that HFC do not pay anything for Amanda Jones presence on the board, and did not pay anything for Rod Petrie's presence other than the salaries detailed in previous posts.

Audited accounts are just that so up front he hasn't been salaried but as we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

So how do you think this particular cat has been skinned to avoid the auditor's attention? Indeed, was there a cat that needed to be skinned?

Seriously, man stops working for club, man stops getting paid.
Man starts working for club again, man starts getting paid again.

What is so hard to grasp about that?

Paisley Hibby
29-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Any payments to firms/companies that have connections to directors have to be reported in the accounts - there have been no such reports in the published accounts, which leads me to believe that HFC do not pay anything for Amanda Jones presence on the board, and did not pay anything for Rod Petrie's presence other than the salaries detailed in previous posts.

So how do you think this particular cat has been skinned to avoid the auditor's attention? Indeed, was there a cat that needed to be skinned?

Seriously, man stops working for club, man stops getting paid.
Man starts working for club again, man starts getting paid again.

What is so hard to grasp about that?

Some folk don't want to grasp it, they just want to be able to moan about Petrie. I'm afraid talking sense just ain't going to cut it with them at the moment :rolleyes:

greenginger
29-05-2014, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=Caversham Green;4038612]Any payments to firms/companies that have connections to directors have to be reported in the accounts - there have been no such reports in the published accounts, which leads me to believe that HFC do not pay anything for Amanda Jones presence on the board, and did not pay anything for Rod Petrie's presence other than the salaries detailed in previous posts.

Not questioning your expertise Cav , but do Private companies like Hibs have to publish this information.

There has been a hell of a lot of contract signing and contract termination at Easter Road over the last few years and if we are getting the legals for free, for seat on the team bus and a couple of sherries after the game, then that's a hell of a good deal. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Some folk don't want to grasp it, they just want to be able to moan about Petrie. I'm afraid talking sense just ain't going to cut it with them at the moment :rolleyes:

I for one don't need to grasp facts about what Rod Petrie does or doesn't get paid, or if he is paid how the payments are made no matter how much sense they make. It may be an interesting subject for debate, but has little or nothing to do with the current situation. This debate has gone way past that.

Its like the board of enquiry into the Titanic focusing on what the captain got paid instead of what caused the ship to sink and why there were not enough lifeboats. When the good ship Hibernian ran into the iceberg that was Hamiton Accies the question was how did it end up on the course to hit it even though previous journeys through the same waters had proved perilous enough to prove that a different course was a good idea.

Your jibe about folk moaning about Petrie's part in what has happened suggests that criticism of him is misguided or over the top and that folk are missing some bigger issue.

Caversham Green
29-05-2014, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Caversham Green;4038612]Any payments to firms/companies that have connections to directors have to be reported in the accounts - there have been no such reports in the published accounts, which leads me to believe that HFC do not pay anything for Amanda Jones presence on the board, and did not pay anything for Rod Petrie's presence other than the salaries detailed in previous posts.

Not questioning your expertise Cav , but do Private companies like Hibs have to publish this information.

There has been a hell of a lot of contract signing and contract termination at Easter Road over the last few years and if we are getting the legals for free, for seat on the team bus and a couple of sherries after the game, then that's a hell of a good deal. :greengrin

Yes, all companies have to report related party transactions.

Criswell
29-05-2014, 10:21 PM
It would be a hell of a lot easier to manage these debts if we had 12,000 ST holders and circa 14,000 home crowds.

This is the core of the business. At the end of the day what is professional football about .... its simple .... winning stuff and attracting paying customers through a decent product on the park. The job of the people running a club is to deliver that ..... if after a sustained period the people in charge have not done that, then they have failed.

To attain the above it is also the job of the board to attract investment to the club in the form of sponsors TV deals and the like ...... but the point of that is to invest in the team ........ at Hibs these things are used to keep the club afloat because the product on the park has been poor for years. Fans are attracted by appealing to their loyalty, sentiment and in the last two seasons bribery through linking Cup final tickets to season tickets. The less said about the cringeworthy campaign to sell STs for next season the better.

Last season Hibs were presented with a golden opportunity to take advantage of a situation unique to the last 100 years in Scottish football. They may not be football men ... but for sure the folk running Hibs, especially STF and RP are business men. In any business surely the ability to identify these opportunities and take advantage of them is fundamental ... it is at that point that any business will take a calculated risk because the chance is just too good to pass up .............. we didn't do that.

Because of that they have not only failed on the football front, they have failed in business as well .... the one thing we all agree they are supposed to be good at.

Failure all round ........... why the hell would anybody think that these folk are fit or have the ability to ... 1) dig the club out of the hole its in ... 2) take it forward.

I'm fed up of posts telling me what STF and RP wont do and why ............ I want to hear from STF what he intends to do about the mess his minions have got us into ..... I don't give a stuff if he doesn't care about football ....... we do and if he is to continue to own Hibs, even if he never wanted to, he has to face up to his responsibility to the supporters of the club. That is part of his job as owner whether he likes it or not ...... his silence is a bloody insult.

Agree with this 100%. Excellent post!

Criswell
29-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Re: point in bold - hasn't the stadium been finished for 2 years+ now? And we've had new management almost every November for pretty much the last 4 or 5 years? Why recruit Leann now and not 2-3 years ago, surely his "job" was done then?

Put very simply, in Petrie, we have a reactive Chairman - someone who (when the proverbial hits the fan) realises something needs to change (and normally to save his own skin rather than for the greater good of the club). Normally the reactive action is to avoid impacting revenue too, rather than because it's a change he felt the club needed.

I want a board who are proactive in leading the team forward and not simply reactive all the time - someone who has a genuine vision for the club without impacting the team on the pitch, and knows what is required milestone wise to achieve this (and actually TELLS us what these milestones are, so we as fans can buy into this vision - put it this way, any plans to improve the team and club as a whole won't work unless they have our buy-in, unless there's a rich sugar daddy out there willing to prove me wrong) .

Yeah, he had a vision for the CLUB (not the team) in terms of improving infrastructure - there's no doubting he achieved this objective some time ago (and whether it's because of his astute leadership or simply being in the right place at the right time in terms of player sales is another story). If his plan was to step aside and allow a new Chief Exec to manage day to day running of the club, why wait till now? And why did he retain accountability for contract negotiations and similar activities when Scott Lindsay was appointed in 2008? And why wait so long to appoint a replacement?

There's absolutely no doubts we need to back the club just now, but that doesn't mean we need to back how the current regime operate, without challenge or dialogue.

What is so difficult in having a structure at the club? There is absolutely no connection between our youth set ups and our first team - if we had a "5 year plan" surely we should have a better scouting network (it's failed since Park left) a more robust model in terms of coaching set up (dare I say first team and youth teams using similar formations or approach to playing the game, making the transition to 1st team level easier?)

Has Petrie or the board given ANY consideration to this? So far, it looks like the focus is simply on margin and poor marketing to increase revenue, rather than having a model or structure to the footballing side of the club.

The club needs football people involved as well as accountants and bean counters - Bruce Langham is possibly a step in the right direction, and I'm hoping Dempster will be too, but it's all in vain if Petrie continues to pull the strings and the club operation to the current business model they do today, which is essentially "keep a tight ship and plod along"!

While I appreciate walking away tomorrow would probably leave us in a worse off position in terms of distractions from rebuilding the team (just look at the David Gill / Ed Woodward scenario at Man Utd last summer, and the impact on sorting budgets and allowing for signings) but once Dempster's introduction / handover at the club is complete, he really needs to consider an exit strategy to allow the club to grow.

Sunday needs to be a turning point - we need a board who can communicate with the fans regularly via working groups, a board who actually understands why we have failed in the last 5-7 years (and how to address it from top to bottom!) and a board who understands the balance between running the club diligently and having a team on the park the fans can be proud of.

Whether than means a director of football managing budgets and contracts or actually having a football man / woman or two on the board and leaving the finances to Dempster too, I'll leave that to someone more qualified to answer than me!

Either way, the whole operating model of the club needs to change - not too much of a risky wish surely, is it?

Great Post! The sad thing about it is; If Petrie were ever to read it he wouldn't have a clue as to what you are talking about!

Nailrod
04-06-2014, 12:08 AM

So, with this definition, Rod Petrie has told us that he will be in charge of sth that will affect many people or things in an important way. This may be a short- or long-term activity. We don't know the duration. He didn't tell us.Ok Tiger. We've now had some clarification from Saint Rod. He will 'continue to facilitate the far-reaching change agenda defined by the Board...', and he will 'continue to act as the conduit between the Board and (our benefactor) Sir Tom Farmer...'

Has he told us yet? Are you now satisfied in your own mind that he plans to be around for the long-term, and not just to carry out a handover to LD?

147lothian
04-06-2014, 12:43 AM
What a load of piss from the op and people who want to bury their head's in the sand and say "ow, me, ow my" are we sleep walkers, things can't go on in the same way for the benefit of the club, it's a piss article written by someone who's job it is to write, for he sake of writing and casting an opinion, for something to say, ie written by someone not connected to the cub, a none hibby.

I don't care what people outside the club think, or jambo piss take, I want us to get our house in order, this won't happen until the dinosaur who wouldn't have been appointed if it wasn't for an owner who isn't interested in football had appointed him, petrie has to go!

Waxy
04-06-2014, 05:55 AM
When you think about it, STF being the businessman he is should have made sure we had a football man at the club. Someone with major football knowledge to appoint the coaches.Would he have let someone with no business knowledge to run his companies? This is perhaps near where our downfall has come. Petrie trying to play football manager.

Sudds_1
04-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Thats the bit that still confuses me.............He's not a "football man". Never has been or will be.

So why is he so keen on getting the SFA presidency? More money to be made in commerce/accounting - which is allegedly where his expertise lies? :confused:

Gustavo Fring
04-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Ok Tiger. We've now had some clarification from Saint Rod. He will 'continue to facilitate the far-reaching change agenda defined by the Board...', and he will 'continue to act as the conduit between the Board and (our benefactor) Sir Tom Farmer...'

Has he told us yet? Are you now satisfied in your own mind that he plans to be around for the long-term, and not just to carry out a handover to LD?

i was never in any doubt that rod was going naewhere

this whole p1$h about him being the conduit between the board and STF makes my skin crawl

is Rod f*kkin petrie the only person in the f*kkin world that STF can talk to , if so then no wonder were in this f*kkin mess

PETRIE OUT and he can take his stinkin inept f*kkin board with him

SouthamptonHibs
04-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Relegated twice in 15 seasons, aye good yin! I'd rather have a crap stadium and train on a public park than be relegated twice under his watchful eye.
Petrie is to blame. He appointed these clowns including a Butcher. We are where we are due to his leadership and penny pinching.
Petrie get tae...