PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity knocks....

Hibee_Dave
29-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Whilst it seems the majority here are distracted by the rush for change within the structure of the football club, after the dust settles a little, I think we can see some real opportunity coming our way next year.

Of course, from where I am, I don't have to endure the abuse factor from other supporters so it's much easier not to get sucked into the doom-monger attitude however, next year we will find ourselves in a ten team league with two of our biggest rivals but with a realistic chance of winning the league. This will be the most exciting league in Scotland by a long way with matches every couple of weeks that will steal the headlines, fill the stadiums and probably attract the TV companies (and gradually, perhaps, audiences as well.) This should offer us and probably the other two big teams an opportunity...

Whilst league sponsorship is something left to the fools at the top of the SPFL, match sponsorship isn't. Would it be possible to work together with the huns and the jams to get a decent deal with a company who will secure extensive matchday sponsorship at all three grounds/centre circle banner before all live games from the three stadia. The company is guaranteed to be associated with the league champions as well as having big exposure and the deal can be done directly with the three clubs who all take a share of this pot.

Four guaranteed big games next year with reduced ticket prices (I would hope) should see a pretty full stadium so the club should be seen in a good light. If we get it right on the park, something TB/MM has done in the recent past when promoting ICT and leading them on to be a good team and previously with making Motherwell decent, then there's no reason we can't be a little more positive. Last season, too many fans (me included) were more interested in watching hearts implode which blinded them to our own team. Now and into next season, we have to get behind what already is a new management structure.

Dempster is TB's boss, Petrie is the chairman because he has the shares and thus a direct line to Farmer which means that any loss is guaranteed by STF despite the fact he won't invest. Fan ownership/getting totally rid of Petrie probably means the end of the financial security that Farmer brings in the eyes of financial institutions. I think it's better to mothball Petrie but keep him around - this seems to be what is happening, and leave the day to day running to someone who seems to know how to run a football club. This is what is happening. Also TB/MM seem to be able to work with their own players, typically young, unproven players who will do exactly as they're told without any ego. This is what we need at the club. To sack them both now would cost us financially and in a timing sense because any work to secure new players would have to start afresh (yes, many might say that we haven't signed any yet, and if that continued up until the start of the world cup, I'd be very concerned but I think we must be a little patient and hope LD spends her first few weeks inking some contracts.)

To summarize, next year, we can win a league. We can be a part of an unusual and exciting spectacle that, whilst not having the 'prestige' of the prem, will be a hell of a lot more interesting and so we can hope to retain and attract sponsorship if we approach this correctly and thirdly, we are in a process of change which is happening now and which has been promised to continue.

Easy to be positive when you're 6000 miles away though....