PDA

View Full Version : Pat Nevin

Leith Mo
28-05-2014, 10:26 PM
His pain at half time of tonight's Scotland game when they showed Sunday and the dignity he showed in his comments I think really demonstrated how much the club means to him. Combined with his knowledge of the game I see him as perfect director of football candidate. Must have common links with LeeAnn from the Motherwell experience?

Leith Mo
28-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Pat Nevin. Sorry using phone to type this

hibsdancer
28-05-2014, 10:29 PM
His pain at half time of tonight's Scotland game when they showed Sunday and the dignity he showed in his comments I think really demonstrated how much the club means to him. Combined with his knowledge of the game I see him as perfect director of football candidate. Must have common links with LeeAnn from the Motherwell experience?

Interesting shout. Good contacts. Good knowledge. Would have learned from his time at Motherwell

Glorious St Pat
28-05-2014, 10:30 PM

Completely agree Mo...been saying this for ages but would he make the move?

R'Albin
28-05-2014, 10:36 PM
I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.

Michael
28-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Well, he was right!

EDIT: on phone, meant to quote above!

IberianHibernian
28-05-2014, 10:44 PM
I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.I think Pat should have kept his job and many who wanted Fenlon out now realise it would have been better if he`d been able to stay till the end of his contract at least . Also how many TV pundits or people who do hospitality etc at clubs can really say what they think to the press ? Not sure if Nevin would want to be a D of F but am sure he could be of some use at club in an advisory role .

R'Albin
28-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Well, he was right!

EDIT: on phone, meant to quote above!

I disagree there. While we would have likely still been an SPL team, the football was dreadful and we were going nowhere. The subsequent appointment of Butcher was where the real mistake was made IMO (as well as not sacking Fenlon sooner).

Edit - I'll reply to anything tomorrow, absolutely knackered atm!

Sir David Gray
28-05-2014, 10:47 PM
I just don't see it I'm afraid.

It's a no from me.

Jones28
28-05-2014, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=R'Albin;4037436]I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.[/

If fenlon had kept his job we would not have been relegated.

Sergio sledge
28-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Just out of interest, other than being a Hibs fan, what credentials does Pat Nevin have to take on a director of football role?

Jones28
29-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Just out of interest, other than being a Hibs fan, what credentials does Pat Nevin have to take on a director of football role?

I'd say his extensive experience and knowledge of the game, as well as a good footballing philosophy make him a good candidate.

We need someone to install a long lasting legacy that future managers must adhere to if they want to manage Hibs. Passing game, played on the ground. Call it the Famous 5 Principle, give it 5 main criteria and write on the ****ing walls at ER & east mains.

Bronson
29-05-2014, 12:26 AM
I like him, never understood why he gets such a hard time for his punditry. Wealth of experience from his playing days, not sure how qualified he would be for a director of football role though.

Not the worst shout I've ever heard, I would be open-minded.

ScottB
29-05-2014, 12:35 AM
To be honest, we really shouldn't have to employ a guy to tell everyone how important it is to play good football.

You'd hope anyway.

joebakerforever
29-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Doubt if PN would sacrifice his present commitments, which are probably better paid and more secure than what Hibs could offer, even if Petrie were to have departed.

The_Horde
29-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Fenlon apparently left because the players weren't listening to him and not because we wanted him out.

H18Y GW
29-05-2014, 04:09 AM
;4037549']Fenlon apparently left because the players weren't listening to him and not because we wanted him out.

And that is why 14 have been ousted, I'm certain TB has had much the same problem ..

Going behind the back of JC still lingers IMO, Until now .

snooky
29-05-2014, 07:21 AM
To be honest, we really shouldn't have to employ a guy to tell everyone how important it is to play good football.

You'd hope anyway.
:agree:

R'Albin
29-05-2014, 07:43 AM
If fenlon had kept his job we would not have been relegated.

I don't think we'd have been a million miles away from it though.

nribs
29-05-2014, 07:49 AM

A baws hair would have done me right now.

cocopops1875
29-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Did he not have that roll at Motherwell ? That didn't end well but still suggests he has credentials for the job other than being a fan

R'Albin
29-05-2014, 08:52 AM
A baws hair would have done me right now.

Likewise. All I'm saying is that there was no sign of things getting any better under Fenlon. The side's confidence was absolutely destroyed and it was clear that we were moving backwards with him in charge. Getting rid of him was completely necessary, however the man that we replaced him with has sadly also managed to balls it up big time.

Stevie Reid
29-05-2014, 09:01 AM

There really isn't much basis for thinking that - in 15 games, Fenlon gained 43% of our overall points, and 50% of our wins.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Just out of interest, other than being a Hibs fan, what credentials does Pat Nevin have to take on a director of football role?He actually has a University degree. Like Alan Gordon, "his brains are in his head..."

J-C
29-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Did he not have that roll at Motherwell ? That didn't end well but still suggests he has credentials for the job other than being a fan

As alluded to in several posts, the Motherwell debacle was not of his doing, goings on behind the scenes which he was not privvy to.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 09:23 AM
A baws hair would have done me right now.Even if we hadn't been relegated, then nothing would have changed. We would have continued to bumble around in the bottom 6, playing eyebleeding football, underperforming, driving away the fans through slow torture. Four consecutive finishes in the bottom six don't lie. Eventually we would have been relegated anyway.

There is a boil at the heart of our club that needs to be lanced before we can get back to where HFC should be, and being relegated seems to have finally catalysed the support into demanding action and refusing to take no for an answer.

Long-term, being relegated may prove to be a blessing in disguise. It will take us a long time to put right what has gone wrong over the last seven years, so the sooner we start the better.

nribs
29-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Even if we hadn't been relegated, then nothing would have changed. We would have continued to bumble around in the bottom 6, playing eyebleeding football, underperforming, driving away the fans through slow torture. Four consecutive finishes in the bottom six don't lie. Eventually we would have been relegated anyway.

There is a boil at the heart of our club that needs to be lanced before we can get back to where HFC should be, and being relegated seems to have finally catalysed the support into demanding action and refusing to take no for an answer.

Long-term, being relegated may prove to be a blessing in disguise. It will take us a long time to put right what has gone wrong over the last seven years, so the sooner we start the better.
Who knows what would have happened we escape relegation Fenlon goes anyway and we pick up a really good manager. Who knows not me that's for sure.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Who knows what would have happened we escape relegation Fenlon goes anyway and we pick up a really good manager. Who knows not me that's for sure.Er... we did that. He was so good that we spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to extricate him from his previous club. And we ended up getting relegated.

The seven-year problem at Hibs isn't this manager or that manager, or this player or that player. We're a very badly run organisation, in every area, from top to bottom. Go and read the "A View From Inside" thread, if you need convincing.

talcy
29-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Er... we did that. He was so good that we spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to extricate him from his previous club. And we ended up getting relegated.

The seven-year problem at Hibs isn't this manager or that manager, or this player or that player. We're a very badly run organisation, in every area, from top to bottom. Go and read the "A View From Inside" thread, if you need convincing.

I agree we're a very badly run organisation, but Butcher is a horrendous Manager. His highest ever win ratio was at ICT, but he had to get them relegated and rack up 21 of his wins in the First Division to achieve that. His win ratio at SPL/SPFL level over something like 8 cumulative years is 30% and he's regularly managed to lead teams to a finish in the relegation places (Motherwell, ICT & now Hibs). Unbelievably, his career outside Scottish football is even worse. He has ZERO track record of nurturing promising young players from within a club's youth system and relies on bringing in already developed players from elsewhere. How the ****** Petrie identified and headhunted him as a good match for Hibernian Football Club is beyond me and is yet one more reason for Petrie to be removed immediately.

JimBHibees
29-05-2014, 10:11 AM
He actually has a University degree. Like Alan Gordon, "his brains are in his head..."

So does Maurice Malpas interestingly enough. BSc in Electrical Engineering.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 10:15 AM
So does Maurice Malpas interestingly enough. BSc in Electrical Engineering.That might explain why he has such a short fuse...

nribs
29-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Er... we did that. He was so good that we spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to extricate him from his previous club. And we ended up getting relegated.

I'm not needing convincing of anything. I wasnt convinced Butcher was that good. Didn't want him nut backed him when he came. The only point I made is that i would have rather have avoided relegation with Fenlon in charge, even then I can't sayy for sure we would have stayed up. I would have preferred that to relegation under Butcher.

Stevie Reid
29-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Even if we hadn't been relegated, then nothing would have changed. We would have continued to bumble around in the bottom 6, playing eyebleeding football, underperforming, driving away the fans through slow torture. Four consecutive finishes in the bottom six don't lie. Eventually we would have been relegated anyway.

There is absolutely no doubt that our problems run much, much deeper than our manager, but don't underestimate just how badly a job Butcher has done since his arrival - it really is quite astonishing. Relegation hadn't been in our thoughts since we managed to beat Dunfermline in 2012, yet Butcher's complacency and poor management somehow pulled it from nowhere.

jacomo
29-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I disagree there. While we would have likely still been an SPL team, the football was dreadful and we were going nowhere. The subsequent appointment of Butcher was where the real mistake was made IMO (as well as not sacking Fenlon sooner).

Edit - I'll reply to anything tomorrow, absolutely knackered atm!

Going nowhere is better than going down, in my book.

Pat lost my trust after Malmo. Combined with the 2012 Cup Final, I would have been dreading another tanking no matter how long he stayed. However, things were still a lot better with him in charge.

JimBHibees
29-05-2014, 06:06 PM
That might explain why he has such a short fuse...

:not worth

The Leith Dutch
29-05-2014, 06:53 PM
We need someone to install a long lasting legacy that future managers must adhere to if they want to manage Hibs. Passing game, played on the ground. Call it the Famous 5 Principle, give it 5 main criteria and write on the ****ing walls at ER & east mains.

This is very much what we need.
There are aspects of how you manage us that are open to an individual manager's style and interpretation.
There are other aspects that, at Hibs, are not.

The Modfather
29-05-2014, 07:03 PM
There really isn't much basis for thinking that - in 15 games, Fenlon gained 43% of our overall points, and 50% of our wins.

He also had precedent for a second half of the season collapse, what's there to suggest that wouldn't have repeated itself?

I don't think we'd have been relegated under him but would have been right in the mix.

Swedish hibee
29-05-2014, 07:08 PM

What roughly did he say?

highland hibbee
29-05-2014, 07:13 PM
And that is why 14 have been ousted, I'm certain TB has had much the same problem ..

Going behind the back of JC still lingers IMO, Until now .

I have long been of the opinion that Mr Petrie should have told the players where to get off and to take their grievances to JC, who interestingly was only trying to instill professionalism and pride to those who had the privilege to wear our colours. Going to open a can of worms here and as who else alongside Rod Petrie And STF has been a constant at Hibs over the last big number of years, and furthermore what does this individual actually contribute to the Hibs cause, one clue Hamilton don't play on grass but this guy was in the dugout at the away game...........? What is his actual job?

Ianhibee
29-05-2014, 07:41 PM
I like Pat Nevin but he's a pundit.

How about McLeish with a young coach - like Jackie Macnamara - that would maybe work?

Not sure I can take any more hoof ball - I'm still having nightmares from the way we played for the last 10 weeks.

SuperAllyMcleod
29-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Pat Nevin always comes across well in the media and has never hidden his support of Hibs (even on Radio 5).

While it may be good to get him involved in the club in some capacity it may be more beneficial to keep him in the media where he can attempt to improve the public's (non Hibs fans) perception of the club. God knows we need it.