PDA

View Full Version : Butcher's farewell message from Oz in 2007

Forza Fred
28-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Hopefully this link frm the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007 can be accessed but if not I've cut and pasted basically what the article said.

He wasn't missed then, and I don't think he will be now either.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/terrys-long-bawl-game-was-rubbish-then-and-still-is/2007/03/23/1174597881433.html

Terry's long bawl game was rubbish then and still is

Michael Cockerill
March 24, 2007

IT WAS always going to happen, wasn't it? Poor, delusional, Terry Butcher, now happily ensconsed back in Glasgow where he reckons he can finally get a decent cup of coffee, trying to cover his arse.

In a sop piece in yesterday's Glasgow Herald, the former England skipper moans and whinges about his time at Sydney FC - desperately trying to re-invent history to make sure he stays on the managerial roundabout.

Entirely predictable, of course, and but for the confidentiality clause he signed on his escape, we might have been treated to his ramblings before now. But after three weeks back in the UK, Butcher's lips are starting to loosen. And the longer he stays out of work, the more we can expect to hear from his clearly tortured soul.

Butcher failed, palpably, in Australia, but he doesn't want that message to get back to his mates. So he's doing what so many of his countrymen (think Steve McMahon) do when they find football in this country a bit more challenging than they'd anticipated. He's slagging it off.

Pressed in his interview yesterday with The Herald's chief football writer, Darryl Broadfoot, about whether his reputation might have been damaged by events at Sydney FC, his reply says it all: "It's possible people might think that, but I know what I can do and what I can achieve … football is only two years old and in its infancy [the first organised game was played here in 1880]. They cannot get to the standards of other leagues unless they go abroad for the best coaches and the best players. There are a lot of things they can improve on. I would say some games would be League One, and sometimes below that."

Well, one thing's for sure. Butcher's coaching is definitely League One, and maybe below that. Just ask his players, who've been liberated by their new coach, the home-grown Branko Culina.
In the five weeks since Butcher left, Sydney FC have been utterly transformed. Not just on the park, but in the dressing room, where the support staff have a new lease of life.

It's hard to find anyone who's not relieved that he's gone.

What Butcher simply failed to grasp, or didn't want to, is that football in Australia is no longer an outpost of the British game. Players, and coaches, have been exposed to a rich tapestry of ideas, and the game has become a sum of its diverse parts. For Butcher to tell a player such as U*** Talay to lump the ball into the channels is like asking Paul Gascoigne to waste a pint.

It goes totally against the grain.

The truth is, Butcher was a square peg in a round hole, and he showed no interest in trying to change that.

Stories about his behaviour are legion, but they are all underpinned by one constant observation. He was a poor coach, but he didn't seem to care.

Want more proof?

Here he is again, in yesterday's interview: "What did I miss? Coffee. Half-caff, flat whites and all that stuff are [sic] no problem, but when I asked for a normal filter coffee with a side of milk in a decent sized cup, they looked at me like I was an alien.

"I would have killed for an instant … and decent newspapers. I wrote a column for The Sydney Morning Herald, and they still slaughtered me."

We didn't, actually. But we are now. Goodbye Terry, and good riddance.

Paloschi
28-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Terry is a likeable character and he does obviously have some managerial talent. He worked wonders at ICT.

He has had a complete nightmare here though and should go ASAP. Hibs are simply too much of a challenge for Him and Malpas.

BoltonHibee
28-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Hopefully this link frm the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007 can be accessed but if not I've cut and pasted basically what the article said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/terrys-long-bawl-game-was-rubbish-then-and-still-is/2007/03/23/1174597881433.html

Michael Cockerill
March 24, 2007

IT WAS always going to happen, wasn't it? Poor, delusional, Terry Butcher, now happily ensconsed back in Glasgow where he reckons he can finally get a decent cup of coffee, trying to cover his arse.

In a sop piece in yesterday's Glasgow Herald, the former England skipper moans and whinges about his time at Sydney FC - desperately trying to re-invent history to make sure he stays on the managerial roundabout.

Entirely predictable, of course, and but for the confidentiality clause he signed on his escape, we might have been treated to his ramblings before now. But after three weeks back in the UK, Butcher's lips are starting to loosen. And the longer he stays out of work, the more we can expect to hear from his clearly tortured soul.

Butcher failed, palpably, in Australia, but he doesn't want that message to get back to his mates. So he's doing what so many of his countrymen (think Steve McMahon) do when they find football in this country a bit more challenging than they'd anticipated. He's slagging it off.

Pressed in his interview yesterday with The Herald's chief football writer, Darryl Broadfoot, about whether his reputation might have been damaged by events at Sydney FC, his reply says it all: "It's possible people might think that, but I know what I can do and what I can achieve … football is only two years old and in its infancy [the first organised game was played here in 1880]. They cannot get to the standards of other leagues unless they go abroad for the best coaches and the best players. There are a lot of things they can improve on. I would say some games would be League One, and sometimes below that."

Well, one thing's for sure. Butcher's coaching is definitely League One, and maybe below that. Just ask his players, who've been liberated by their new coach, the home-grown Branko Culina.
In the five weeks since Butcher left, Sydney FC have been utterly transformed. Not just on the park, but in the dressing room, where the support staff have a new lease of life.

What Butcher simply failed to grasp, or didn't want to, is that football in Australia is no longer an outpost of the British game. Players, and coaches, have been exposed to a rich tapestry of ideas, and the game has become a sum of its diverse parts. For Butcher to tell a player such as U*** Talay to lump the ball into the channels is like asking Paul Gascoigne to waste a pint.

The truth is, Butcher was a square peg in a round hole, and he showed no interest in trying to change that.

Stories about his behaviour are legion, but they are all underpinned by one constant observation. He was a poor coach, but he didn't seem to care.

Want more proof?

Here he is again, in yesterday's interview: "What did I miss? Coffee. Half-caff, flat whites and all that stuff are [sic] no problem, but when I asked for a normal filter coffee with a side of milk in a decent sized cup, they looked at me like I was an alien.

"I would have killed for an instant … and decent newspapers. I wrote a column for The Sydney Morning Herald, and they still slaughtered me."

I think most people who know football, knew what Hibs were going to be letting themselves in for when they landed Butcher. Petrie either didn't or didn't give a ****, one of the two!

db03
28-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Michael Cockerill
March 24, 2007

Want more proof?

The part in bold stands out for me as I was told weeks ago that this was the reason Kevin Thomson was not playing, Butcher told him to hit blind passes into the corners and KT refused so Butcher said fine you wont play.

Winston Ingram
28-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Terry is a likeable character and he does obviously have some managerial talent. He worked wonders at ICT.

He has had a complete nightmare here though and should go ASAP. Hibs are simply too much of a challenge for Him and Malpas.

Wonders? Relegating them, 2 bottom 6 & 1 top 6 finish?

Seekyit
28-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I think most people who know football, knew what Hibs were going to be letting themselves in for when they landed Butcher. Petrie either didn't or didn't give a ****, one of the two!

Here was me thinking that nobody could have known it would turn out this bad. Thanks to the link from Forza Fred I'm beginning to wonder...

Pretty Boy
28-05-2014, 03:58 PM
The thread about our game on Sunday on the Sunderland fans site makes grim reading as well.

They really don't like Butcher.

Weir7
28-05-2014, 04:06 PM

What did he achieve that was wonderful?

3pm
28-05-2014, 04:11 PM
The thread about our game on Sunday on the Sunderland fans site makes grim reading as well.

Got a link?

Paloschi
28-05-2014, 04:11 PM
What did he achieve that was wonderful?

Turning Inverness into a side that was very competitive in the league, playing decent football. I think he done a great job there don't you?

He has been a failure everywhere else though (apart from at Well maybe?). I don't think he is the man for Hibs now but I did a while back. Was happy with him initially. The players let him down big time, but then again he is also very much responsible and should be sacked.

Winston Ingram
28-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Turning Inverness into a side that was very competitive in the league, playing decent football. I think he done a great job there don't you?

He has been a failure everywhere else though (apart from at Well maybe?). I don't think he is the man for Hibs now but I did a while back. Was happy with him initially. The players let him down big time, but then again he is also very much responsible and should be sacked.

Relegating them, 2 bottom 6 & 1 top 6 finish? I would say he did an ok job for 1 season but wonders?

Centre Hawf
28-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Had a read of a similar thread (might be the same one you're referring to) opinions changed of Sunderland fans. Not asking for sympathy from fans at all but they seemed to take a great deal of enjoyment out of this not just from a "hating Butcher" stand point but an obsessed yam like stance.

HH81
28-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Got a link?

Found this http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/hibs.922466/

The_Horde
28-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Sunderland fans don't like anyone.

Pete
28-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Relegating them, 2 bottom 6 & 1 top 6 finish? I would say he did an ok job for 1 season but wonders?

This is ICT we are taking about here. You also seem to conveniently forget the last season where he had them sitting second before joining us. Why don't you link that with 12/13 and come to a conclusion? They were his most recent after all.

Its just easier to quote some ropey Australian article and remember tenures from years ago as it ties in with the anti Butcher agenda, isn't it?

Like this thread...a load of narrow minded bollox.

Pete
28-05-2014, 04:39 PM

People who knew football recognised what he had done at ICT and thought he would do well.

Is this an attempt to re-write history and make out that Petrie appointed some hoofball merchant against the better judgement of all the experts?

Del Boy
28-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Did well at Motherwell and ICT. Everywhere else he's been poor and at hibs he's been a disaster.

Geo_1875
28-05-2014, 04:53 PM
20-20 hindsight

Paisley Hibby
28-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Michael Cockerill
March 24, 2007

Want more proof?

Wow, that is scary!

Captain Trips
28-05-2014, 05:26 PM
This season with this squad:

Pat Fenlon: P15
Won 5
Drew 3
Lost 7

Terry Butcher: P27
Won 6
Drew 7
Lost 14

Says it all to me that Butchers record is a disgrace, he has won one more game than Pat with 12 more games to do so including 3 matches with lower league teams. To let somebody with those credentials continue is lunacy. What he did at ICT or anywhere else is irrelevant. His record here is a disgrace one more win than Fenlon with 12 extra games ffs.

3pm
28-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Found this http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/hibs.922466/

I had to stop reading it!

Mackem filth.

The_Horde
28-05-2014, 05:45 PM
This season with this squad:

Pat Fenlon: P15
Won 5
Drew 3
Lost 7

Terry Butcher: P27
Won 6
Drew 7
Lost 14

Says it all to me that Butchers record is a disgrace, he has won one more game than Pat with 12 more games to do so including 3 matches with lower league teams. To let somebody with those credentials continue is lunacy. What he did at ICT or anywhere else is irrelevant. His record here is a disgrace one more win than Fenlon with 12 extra games ffs.

Please.

Fenlon's team were dreadful and couldn't score either.

This is about more than Terry Butcher. Managers come and go but chairmen are here longer.

Let's get rid of the real cancer at our club before we go after anybody else.

Heedersnvolleys
28-05-2014, 05:45 PM
What worries me more when ICT did go down he only got them back up with 2 games to spare not exactly runaway with it. At one point they were 15 points off top around Xmas time and only an unbeaten run since then got them up. Sorry TB doubt you will get that luxury this time!

The_Horde
28-05-2014, 05:47 PM
What worries me more when ICT did go down he only got them back up with 2 games to spare not exactly runaway with it. At one point they were 15 points off top around Xmas time and only an unbeaten run since then got them up. Sorry TB doubt you will get that luxury this time!

Maybe an example of why you should be patient?

Hibeesmad
28-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Any manager who gets Hibs relegated must be bad, yeah our team probably wasn't great last season but that was down to the managers tactics etc, our team last season was a lot stronger than majority of the other teams in the league. Fact

Captain Trips
28-05-2014, 06:06 PM
;4036514']Please.

Fenlon's team were dreadful and couldn't score either.

This is about more than Terry Butcher. Managers come and go but chairmen are here longer.

Let's get rid of the real cancer at our club before we go after anybody else.

Just because Petrie is awful doesn't mean TB isn't. His record is a disgrace if Fenlon managed 5 wins with the team I expect his replacement to do better. He didn't even equal it he was much worse.

Disgraceful record.

The_Horde
28-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Just because Petrie is awful doesn't mean TB isn't. His record is a disgrace if Fenlon managed 5 wins with the team I expect his replacement to do better. He didn't even equal it he was much worse.

Disgraceful record.

And Rod's already stated Butcher is going nowhere.

So if you want anything else to change at hibs we need to get Rod out first and leave the managerial decision to the person who's next appointed.

Rod shouldn't make another decision as hibs chairman and that includes the fate of terry.

Petrie out.

ehf
28-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Like this thread...a load of narrow minded bollox.

Really? In normal academic discourse it is considered broad-minded to adduce different perspectives from less obvious/partisan sources (in this case the Sydney Morning Herald and a Sunderland fans' forum).

KWJ
28-05-2014, 08:04 PM
As has been said about his successes at ICT, a manager that knows how to win the 2nd tier of Scottish football is pretty crucial right now.

I find it hard to believe that he advocates blind balls into the channels when under little pressure and having passing midfielders in the team. This article doesn't help that but I don't recall ICT doing all that much of it in the past, and certainly not to the effect it has for us.

He needs to get off to a good start but I do believe he can turn us around.

Has he been questioned on his playing style?

Forza Fred
28-05-2014, 09:12 PM
20-20 hindsight

Perhaps, but if I could find this - and much more- by simply doing a google, it was just as easy to find for anybody considering appointing him.

I,m not suggesting that this alone should/would have resulted in him not being appointed, but it could have helped in possibly forming the selection panel questions.

Eg..Terry, in Australia, you were seen as a 'long ball' style of coach....possibly what we here would refer to as 'hoofball'

Is this the kind of tactics you will employ here if appointed.

Would have been interesting to hear his response, and then the panel's reaction.

What it DOES suggest though, is he hasn't, really evolved as a manger since his Sydney days.

TowerHibs
28-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Got to love the style of journalism there though!!!!!