PDA

View Full Version : divorcees

Allant1981
28-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Question for folk who are divorced/getting divorced. Was it as simple as going to your lawyer and saying you want the divorce if everything else is sorted out, i have a wee boy and we have an agreement regarding where he stays and stuff so no issues there, want a bit of advice before i start dishing out cash to a lawyer. We have been seperated 3.5 years now

Peevemor
28-05-2014, 07:38 PM
My first marriage ended in a "quickie" divorce. It may have changed now but at that time (17/18 years ago) you had to be separated for two years. We already had an agreement on what happened to the flat and all we had to do for the divorce itself was fill in and sign a form and pay a registration fee (something like! £60 IIRC). No lawyer involved.

We didn't have any kids however.

Good luck sorting it out.

Wembley67
29-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Yup, as Peeve says nothing has changed, as long as both parties are consenting then its simple. I imagine something will have to be drawn up by the solicitor for the wee one though for access.

Jack
29-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Question for folk who are divorced/getting divorced. Was it as simple as going to your lawyer and saying you want the divorce if everything else is sorted out, i have a wee boy and we have an agreement regarding where he stays and stuff so no issues there, want a bit of advice before i start dishing out cash to a lawyer. We have been seperated 3.5 years now

Do you have a 'minute of agreement' that goes into detail for all the ins and outs of regarding the boy?

If you do then it should be a fairly simple task. If not its not the end of the world but will take longer.

Most important thing is a good lawyer, one that you feel comfortable with.

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2014, 12:22 PM
My divorce was very harmonious. I put it down to us having the same lawyer (a mutual friend). As soon as two lawyers get involved there is always the potential for a blood bath.

Allant1981
29-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Cheers guys, hopefully it goes smoothly

woodythehibee
30-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I work as a Trainee Solicitor for Wright & Co, Leith. We cover most areas of law, but are experts in family law. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any queries.

Always happy to help a Hibby.