PDA

View Full Version : Info on RP

eggbamyasi
28-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Being completely serious here and if people could avoid any abuse or personal attacks , what has rod done thats good and bad for club ? I honestly understand the club needs a shake up but for me its become so bitter attack wise on him im struggling to realise what he personally alone has done to put us in position we're in . Im not defending him at all . Just want some real info with out the abuse which has almost pushed out the real facts of why he must be fired . I know this may sound stupid what im asking but I want to know the facts as i kind feel im getting pulled into the I hate rod mob and im not 100% certain fact wise why im berating this man .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
28-05-2014, 02:59 AM
He kept calderwood when he could have let him go back down south, he then had to pay him compensation when he sacked him.

eggbamyasi
28-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Just reading few other threads and found a post that sensibly sums it up for me . So people dont need to reply to this .

He works for Hibs because he has been put in place by Farmer and has a stake in the shareholding. He probably does love the club tho so decided to forsake a wage to help. As an aside how much do you think financially his share will be worth after yesterdays debacle? It is and always has been in his interests to see a successful Hibernian and is most likely the reason he is reluctant to hand things over to someone else. His times up. He knows this. He/STF or both know he has/is failing miserably with on the park things. Change is coming but about two or three years too late.

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Being completely serious here and if people could avoid any abuse or personal attacks , what has rod done thats good and bad for club ? I honestly understand the club needs a shake up but for me its become so bitter attack wise on him im struggling to realise what he personally alone has done to put us in position we're in . Im not defending him at all . Just want some real info with out the abuse which has almost pushed out the real facts of why he must be fired . I know this may sound stupid what im asking but I want to know the facts as i kind feel im getting pulled into the I hate rod mob and im not 100% certain fact wise why im berating this man .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TapatalkThere once was a guy who owned a shop. It was a Butcher's shop. It was a good, successful shop. It sold good meat, and it had lots of customers. The guy quite fancied himself at running Butcher's shops, but the truth is he didn't really know anything about it. One day he decided that he could save a lot of money if the only thing he sold was mince. So that's what he did. He stopped selling good meat, and started selling just mince.

His customers appealed to him "We don't want just mince!"

So he painted the shop.

"We want good meat!" said his customers.

But he insisted on just selling them mince. The customers started to drift away, and his takings started to go down. So he started buying cheaper meat to make his mince with. And his mince got worse and worse. Soon he was selling really rotten mince. And fewer and fewer customers went to his shop. The more customers he lost, the cheaper the meat he bought, the worse his mince got, the more customers he lost...

The daft thing was that the customers didn't go to other Butcher's shops. They just stopped buying meat. If he had tried to sell them better meat, lots of them would have come back. But he wasn't interested in trying to get these customers to come back. All he was interested in was selling mince to the ones who still came. It was a wonder he still had any customers left.

Anyway, by that time he had no money left to buy better meat. The only thing he could afford was rubbish meat to make rotten mince. And he didn't have the nous to go out and find some money elsewhere. And he was too mean and scared to borrow the money, in case it didn't work and the customers didn't come back.

So he just carried on selling mince that got more and more rotten, to fewer and fewer customers.

The story doesn't have a happy ending.

macd123
28-05-2014, 03:55 AM

The two managers he really stood behind were calderwood and butcher.

eggbamyasi
28-05-2014, 03:58 AM
Basically wanted to hear actual reasons with out the personal attacks and outrageous claims lol . Were doing my head in

gegs70
28-05-2014, 04:06 AM
He always talked about taking hibs to the next level....but after Tony Mowbray and then Collins short rein it was downhill all the way. Players lost and cheaper journeymen/ loan deals brought in...long protracted player discussions....god knows what choice Collins was 3rd 4th 5th?

Beefster
28-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Rodders' biggest problems are his micro-management of every aspect of the club, fondness of haggling over inconsequential amounts and complete lack of a coherent strategy for the club.

Saorsa
28-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Rodders' biggest problems are his micro-management of every aspect of the club, fondness of haggling over inconsequential amounts and complete lack of a coherent strategy for the club.what about the 5 year plan, was that no a strategy for the club?

JCHibby
28-05-2014, 06:06 AM

The good work that Ros has completed is in the financial management of the club and the development of the stadium and training centre, both will be here for a very long time and will prove beneficial.

The bad:
When Collins sold Brown and Thomson a meeting was held where Collins identified two replacements, one of which being Steven Naismith, 1.5 million was asked for from the 6.5 brought in and was granted. Then when both were sold a change was made by Rod and the funds rejected.

Cillian Sheridan, done deal, wages to be paid 2k by hibs remainder by parent club. Hibs has agreed and agent told parent club deal was done and expect loan details, Rod then offers 1800, Sheridan, Parent Club and agent were not amused and player offered to every other SPL club.

So from business point of view very good, on the main part of the business, truelly shocking.

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 06:16 AM
The good work that Rod has completed is in the financial management of the club...I wish people would stop kidding themselves about this.

Driving down the quality of your product, losing revenues as a result, and cutting costs to match your reduced revenues isn't 'good financial management'. It's reactive, myopic, bean-counting. In a commercial environment where the quality of the product is practically the only factor that counts, and where your revenues are miles beneath what they potentially could be, it's catastrophic idiocy.

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 06:18 AM
what about the 5 year plan, was that no a strategy for the club?It was a strategy, Jim, but not as we know it.

gorgie greens
28-05-2014, 06:21 AM
The good work that Ros has completed is in the financial management of the club and the development of the stadium and training centre, both will be here for a very long time and will prove beneficial.

The bad:
When Collins sold Brown and Thomson a meeting was held where Collins identified two replacements, one of which being Steven Naismith, 1.5 million was asked for from the 6.5 brought in and was granted. Then when both were sold a change was made by Rod and the funds rejected.

Cillian Sheridan, done deal, wages to be paid 2k by hibs remainder by parent club. Hibs has agreed and agent told parent club deal was done and expect loan details, Rod then offers 1800, Sheridan, Parent Club and agent were not amused and player offered to every other SPL club.

So from business point of view very good, on the main part of the business, truelly shocking.

Agree 100% very good points,and as the product is to put bums on seats and the only way you can do that consistently is by putting a good team on the park,we lost out on Rooney in the Jan window for £200/week sure he scored about 9 goals since moving to Aberdeen,even if we had been giving half those goals by him at Hibs we would have stayed up,so how much has all the penny pinching cost us in the long run?

Forza Fred
28-05-2014, 06:25 AM
He always talked about taking hibs to the next level....but after Tony Mowbray and then Collins short rein it was downhill all the way. Players lost and cheaper journeymen/ loan deals brought in...long protracted player discussions....god knows what choice Collins was 3rd 4th 5th?

He took them to the next level all right, unfortunately the next lower level.

Saorsa
28-05-2014, 06:28 AM

The bad:

So from business point of view very good, on the main part of the business, truelly shocking. Seriously! His mistakes have cost this club millions covered by cuts all round and people losing their jobs, that's how he's balanced the books, that and selling the family silver and replacing it with pewter. Financial genius my erse, naebody else could have came up with a plan tae sell everything of value that wisnae nailed doon could they? He's destroyed the commodity which is supposed tae sell the club tae the punters, the product on the park. I wonder how many people at the club will lose their jobs efter this **** up tae cut costs even further.

easty
28-05-2014, 06:38 AM

The bad:

I thought we did bid for Naismith. Besides, whether or not we bid the £1.5m they wanted, he would have signed for Rangers. As for Cillian Sheridan, he is/was shiiiiite. I agree that if that's how we missed out on him then it's very very poor on RP's side, but he done us a favour by fluke then.

easty
28-05-2014, 06:43 AM
Agree 100% very good points,and as the product is to put bums on seats and the only way you can do that consistently is by putting a good team on the park,we lost out on Rooney in the Jan window for £200/week sure he scored about 9 goals since moving to Aberdeen,even if we had been giving half those goals by him at Hibs we would have stayed up,so how much has all the penny pinching cost us in the long run?

Is the Rooney thing now a fully inducted Hibs.net FACT? Hibs denied making him an offer, Butcher denied it. I've never read anything from Rooney directly saying we did. But it gets brought up routinely now, much like the £150k for Griffiths FACT.

Smartie
28-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Rod is an absolutely magnificent negotiator when he has something that somebody else wants. He managed squeeze top dollar out of several clubs for players such as Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker and Thomson. He improved at this with his player contracts after watching Murray and Riordan slip away for nothing. Unfortunately the football world has changed. We've stopped producing top-notch youngsters and the financial climate of the Scottish game dictates that even if we did we'd be unlikely to gain a great financial gain from anyone any more, so this skill has unfortunately been largely rendered useless.

The money gained from their sales have been invested in top-notch infrastructure. I can never understand when we're gnashing and wailing at what's wrong at Hibs that East Mains and the East Stand get blamed. These investments are the envy of almost every club in Scotland (and certainly of clubs similar to us in size), will be with us for a while and if USED PROPERLY will reap dividends for a long time to come.

IMO his main weakness is the complacency that he has taken into player purchase negotiations. The same hard-nosed business approach that raised significant funds for us in player sales had cost us god knows how many transfer targets. Probably the earliest I can remember was when he refused to allow Collins to bring Steven Hammell back to Scotland from Southend when we sold Murphy. Hammell joined Motherwell, a smaller club, a month after and has been a stalwart for the best part of a decade in a smaller club who have consistently outperformed us on the park. Chuck in your Griffiths, Taylor, Sheridan etc stories, we're not exactly short of examples of this happening.

When the 5th and 6th choice signings have failed, he has been too quick to pull the plug on managers as soon as the fans get a bit restless, ignoring why the problems started in the first place.

I know a member of the board at a lower league club who played at Easter Road earlier this season and he found the atmosphere behind the scenes at Easter Road totally bizarre. It was a very cold and frosty reception from the directors, and the length and breadth of the country the directors of clubs drink together and mingle before and after matches. He thought that it seemed like Petrie didn't allow anyone to speak to the other directors other than himself. He also couldn't believe how quickly the fans got on the players backs.

For a club to be successful their needs to be a solid spine to the club. The chairman must trust and back the manager, the players must implicitly trust and rate the manager and vice versa and the fans must have faith that these people are the best people to take the club forward. If that is the case then the fans will turn up, in numbers and support the team. This set-up will imo never happen under Petrie and for that reason he must go, albeit with an acknowledgment for the good he has done.

cappoquinboy
28-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Rod Petrie has overseen a reasonably succesful " balance sheet " business over the last 10 years or so.

Unfortuntately, football is unlike any other business as the true success or failure of "the business" is measured and dictated by matters completely outwith the control of its directors i.e. what happens on the pitch - this is where RP has failed miserably.

He has put himself in complete control of the football side of Hibernian FC and has NO background or qualifications in the game which would indicate he is capable of doing so.

A steady stream of managers have had their hands tied by RP when it came to "football decisions" and in particular the proposed signing of various players. The most outrageous example of this was RP's scandalous decision to host a meeting of players (without the knowledge of the manager) at his home because the players were "unhappy" with the managers views and the training regime!!

When I appoint a team or departmental manager in my business and give them responsibility for the success or failure of that team , I do not then expect the team members to contact me with their grievances (real or perceived). If I then agree to meet with said team members without informing the manger, this renders the "manager" completely impotent and his position becomes untenable as ALL team members then realise that all "real" decisions lie with me - that is extremely poor leadership and judgement by any supposed "business leader".

Make no mistake, everyone within and connected to the club is under no illusion as to who makes the final decision on any matter of significance - and in my view, this will not change post 1st June with the arrival of Leanne Dempster.

Rod Petrie's personality pervades throughout Hibernian Football Club - it is a cold, dull, unapproachable environment, with a distinct lack of joy and creativity - and this manifests itself on the pitch.

It is not uncommon to see this type of scenario in businesses/organisations where the leaders/owners have remained in their position for too long and become unapproachable and unaccountable. There is an old Italian saying "a dead fish rots from the head down" - that unfortunately sums up Hibernain FC for me - and there are two men responsible for this , namely Rod Petrie and to a lesser extent Sir Tom Farmer. Hibernain FC is rotten at the very top and until we address the problem the club will continue on its steady downward spiral.

In my humble opinion, Hibernian FC will not be able to progress until Rod Petrie leaves (or is removed) from the club completely. His presence as a non executive director means that everyone connected with the club will still see him as the "real" decision maker.

How we bring about this change is a different matter and is worthy of another thread but I firmly believe that this change is achievable and there are people within the Hibernian support who are both willing and capable of realising this change and delivering a team which ALL of us can be proud of - but this can only succeed if RP is out the picture completely.

Ronniekirk
28-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Is the Rooney thing now a fully inducted Hibs.net FACT? Hibs denied making him an offer, Butcher denied it. I've never read anything from Rooney directly saying we did. But it gets brought up routinely now, much like the £150k for Griffiths FACT.

Here are some things to ponder

As a club under his stewardship we have been in steady decline since he sold off all our best players too quickly after winning the Leauge Cup .If there was a strategy or vision about how to move forward in terms of the footballing side it failed miserably
He has been primarily responsible for hiring and firing managers .Look at st Johnston over the same period and they have have had several managers who have just carried on the good work of the last one culminating in them winning the Scottish Cup at first time of asking .
While people debate about his role in Transfer Dealings it is clear we tend to wait till later in Transfer window ( people will always cite the odd exception ) to bring in inferior players and some are clearly last minte panic buys that don't work out .
He delays transfer negotiations and we miss out Lyle Taylor being one from recent memory and he has scored more for thistle in his loan spell than Collins has scored for us all season ..
griffiths could and should of been bought at some point as the club were willing to sell and the player willing to come It would of been an investment .when he did try to buy him it was too late his value had rocketed but if he had we wouldn't now be facing loosing hundreds of thousands of pounds through relegation Managers are gagged when they leave and would love one of them to break that silence and tell us the truth about signings that Petrie didn't sanction and by how Mutch we were losing out on players by as Tom English has clearly alluded to his info that we have lost out to rivals for sake of 500 pound a week It begs at least the question how can other teams afford this and we can't ( take the cheating hear7s out the equation )
We should of been signing other promising Scottish talent to sell on ,but we didnt re invest the 7 million or so we got for selling our best players on in that way.
petrie decided Infrastructure was more important .Well we have plenty of that now but no team on the park .

Add to that he is arrogant and Aloof IMO and surrounds himself with suits not footballing people and that's partly why we are in this mess .
It's only my opinion .

Cropley10
28-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Does this new exec chairman role mean Rod will no longer be doing his walk about in BTG next season?
p

allezsauzee
28-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I could be wrong but I don't recall any of the management appointments in recent years being unpopular. By and large I think they have been received well by the Hibs support until things have started to go wrong and when he has sacked the managers he has done it when a large section of the support has been calling for it. Maybe the thing that RP has done wrong is actually listen to the fans?

I don't think Butcher has done well so far.... far from it. However ICT did get relegated initially when he and Malpas took over. Maybe they just need to get a group of young players in the door with a point to prove that will play the way that TB and MM want to. No more big time Charlies, just a group of young guys who want to learn and work hard. Does anyone honestly think that the management team that had ICT playing the way they did when they pumped us 3-0 and 2-0 this season are total idiots?...and they did it on a shoestring budget!

Time for Rodders to stay strong and keep the management and back them financially!

greenpaper55
28-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Rod Petrie has overseen a reasonably succesful " balance sheet " business over the last 10 years or so.

Unfortuntately, football is unlike any other business as the true success or failure of "the business" is measured and dictated by matters completely outwith the control of its directors i.e. what happens on the pitch - this is where RP has failed miserably.

He has put himself in complete control of the football side of Hibernian FC and has NO background or qualifications in the game which would indicate he is capable of doing so.

A steady stream of managers have had their hands tied by RP when it came to "football decisions" and in particular the proposed signing of various players. The most outrageous example of this was RP's scandalous decision to host a meeting of players (without the knowledge of the manager) at his home because the players were "unhappy" with the managers views and the training regime!!

When I appoint a team or departmental manager in my business and give them responsibility for the success or failure of that team , I do not then expect the team members to contact me with their grievances (real or perceived). If I then agree to meet with said team members without informing the manger, this renders the "manager" completely impotent and his position becomes untenable as ALL team members then realise that all "real" decisions lie with me - that is extremely poor leadership and judgement by any supposed "business leader".

Make no mistake, everyone within and connected to the club is under no illusion as to who makes the final decision on any matter of significance - and in my view, this will not change post 1st June with the arrival of Leanne Dempster.

Rod Petrie's personality pervades throughout Hibernian Football Club - it is a cold, dull, unapproachable environment, with a distinct lack of joy and creativity - and this manifests itself on the pitch.

It is not uncommon to see this type of scenario in businesses/organisations where the leaders/owners have remained in their position for too long and become unapproachable and unaccountable. There is an old Italian saying "a dead fish rots from the head down" - that unfortunately sums up Hibernain FC for me - and there are two men responsible for this , namely Rod Petrie and to a lesser extent Sir Tom Farmer. Hibernain FC is rotten at the very top and until we address the problem the club will continue on its steady downward spiral.

In my humble opinion, Hibernian FC will not be able to progress until Rod Petrie leaves (or is removed) from the club completely. His presence as a non executive director means that everyone connected with the club will still see him as the "real" decision maker.

How we bring about this change is a different matter and is worthy of another thread but I firmly believe that this change is achievable and there are people within the Hibernian support who are both willing and capable of realising this change and delivering a team which ALL of us can be proud of - but this can only succeed if RP is out the picture completely.

:top marksWell said, he probably feels safe as it's the end of the season and fans have no physical means of demonstrating their anger at him but if he thinks this is going to go away he has another thing coming, we the fans call the shots and he would do well to remember that.

greenpaper55
28-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I could be wrong but I don't recall any of the management appointments in recent years being unpopular. By and large I think they have been received well by the Hibs support until things have started to go wrong and when he has sacked the managers he has done it when a large section of the support has been calling for it. Maybe the thing that RP has done wrong is actually listen to the fans?

I don't think Butcher has done well so far.... far from it. However ICT did get relegated initially when he and Malpas took over. Maybe they just need to get a group of young players in the door with a point to prove that will play the way that TB and MM want to. No more big time Charlies, just a group of young guys who want to learn and work hard. Does anyone honestly think that the management team that had ICT playing the way they did when they pumped us 3-0 and 2-0 this season are total idiots?...and they did it on a shoestring budget!

Time for Rodders to stay strong and keep the management and back them financially!

Raith beat us and they had not scored a goal in five games so using us as a benchmark is not very clever.

J-C
28-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Rod backed the managers but then haggled over a few quid here and there until we lost out on good players and had to scramble around for the dross that was left. Add to that paying compensation when surprise surprise the dross players don't work out and a new manager is again needed. He has mismanaged this club since the day his eyes lit up when he seen how much money we could sell our players for and how little we had to spend to replace them, the rest is history and we are where we are because of him.

jeffers
28-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Not a direct dig at you, but whether the manager is the popular choice of the fans or not is irrelevant. It's not our job to make that decision, we don't sit in on the interviews, discussing things like the type of football we play. I'll bet if we knew TB's style of play would result in a hoof up the park to one isolated forward his appointment would have been unpopular.

I get the argument that he did well at ICT, but the longer he has been with us the harder it is to understand just how he managed it. He has shown absolutely no tactical nous in his time with us, if anything it just explains why he was sacked from almost every other club he was with.

J-C
28-05-2014, 08:20 AM
TB played 4 2 3 1 at ICT but I can't remember him ever playing it once here, we had the players to play it and it would've meant ball on the deck football but strangely it's a system he never used.

Saorsa
28-05-2014, 08:31 AM

Time for Rodders to stay strong and keep the management and back them financially!That argument is ****in' hilarious, I cannae believe folk still use it, is that the best defence folk have for petrie's **** ups. Appointments may or may not have been popular with the fans, that is irrelevant. The fans weren't party tae the interviews, the questions asked or the answers given that made petrie pick these people for the job. The ex hibs player would have been popular with the fans fo that reason and nae other, how dae you pin fenlon and deadwood with the fans using that argument? Deadwood was a coup according tae petrie, what a ****in' joke. They weren't sacked because the fans waned it either, they were sacked by petrie tae take the heat off him, if it was done tae suit the fans deadwood would have been out the door long before he was. If you think petrie listens tae the fans you're on another planet. If he was listening tae the fans he'd be long gone by now, petrie disnae give a **** about the fans and treats them with total contempt

SanFranHibs
28-05-2014, 09:27 AM
but I think it is safe to say that his guiding hand on the tiller sailing Hibs to financial security was not his doing as such. He was the lucky incumbent that saw Mowbrays team result in increased season tickets and being able to sell off our best players. Of course, I am not saying it is better that this good fortune should not have come Hibs way, except it is not as if it was his financial genius or strategy that put us in a position to develop the infrastructure. It is something that had to be done but perhaps the balance was lost. We were taking small money for players who if we had kept through the season would be able to leave for nothing and the club and a considerable number of fans were claiming it was good business although I think there were times when Hibs fans thought we were short changed with what we received for some of our better players. It may be wrong but I recall that Spurs were reputed to have offered Celtic 8 million for Brown the same week we had sold him for 4+. Selling off or letting go our best players might have been good business except they were all replaced by considerably lower quality players. Just seemed like no balance was even attempted. Sometimes a club has to say, 'If we keep the player next season we get nothing. Sell now we at least get a few hundred grand. But he's doing a good job and we would struggle to replace him....he's staying".

That said, we cannot change what has been but we sure as hell need to make sure that we do not carry on 'business as usual', which in itself would be difficult as our next generation of 'golden boys' have not yet really been given a real chance, i.e. playing in a team with a decent level of skill and confidence and at least knowing what they were doing.

Hard to say what Petries skills are but the evidence of the last few years cast serious doubt on his judgement and his inflexibilty would seem to have killied off any good that the Mowbray tenure produced.

Can't blame him for everything but there has to be something wrong when managers, players and fans are giving up on the club.

Just my tuppence worth and about all it is worth.

Gettin' Auld
28-05-2014, 09:34 AM
There once was a guy who owned a shop. It was a Butcher's shop. It was a good, successful shop. It sold good meat, and it had lots of customers. The guy quite fancied himself at running Butcher's shops, but the truth is he didn't really know anything about it. One day he decided that he could save a lot of money if the only thing he sold was mince. So that's what he did. He stopped selling good meat, and started selling just mince.

His customers appealed to him "We don't want just mince!"

So he painted the shop.

"We want good meat!" said his customers.

But he insisted on just selling them mince. The customers started to drift away, and his takings started to go down. So he started buying cheaper meat to make his mince with. And his mince got worse and worse. Soon he was selling really rotten mince. And fewer and fewer customers went to his shop. The more customers he lost, the cheaper the meat he bought, the worse his mince got, the more customers he lost...

The daft thing was that the customers didn't go to other Butcher's shops. They just stopped buying meat. If he had tried to sell them better meat, lots of them would have come back. But he wasn't interested in trying to get these customers to come back. All he was interested in was selling mince to the ones who still came. It was a wonder he still had any customers left.

Anyway, by that time he had no money left to buy better meat. The only thing he could afford was rubbish meat to make rotten mince. And he didn't have the nous to go out and find some money elsewhere. And he was too mean and scared to borrow the money, in case it didn't work and the customers didn't come back.

So he just carried on selling mince that got more and more rotten, to fewer and fewer customers.

The story doesn't have a happy ending.

I thought this story was going to be of interest, but basically it was just a load of mince. :wink:

The Gorf
28-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Seriously! His mistakes have cost this club millions covered by cuts all round and people losing their jobs, that's how he's balanced the books, that and selling the family silver and replacing it with pewter. Financial genius my erse, naebody else could have came up with a plan tae sell everything of value that wisnae nailed doon could they? He's destroyed the commodity which is supposed tae sell the club tae the punters, the product on the park. I wonder how many people at the club will lose their jobs efter this **** up tae cut costs even further.

Totally agree. :top marks

JimBHibees
28-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Rod is an absolutely magnificent negotiator when he has something that somebody else wants. He managed squeeze top dollar out of several clubs for players such as Fletcher, Brown, Whittaker and Thomson. He improved at this with his player contracts after watching Murray and Riordan slip away for nothing. Unfortunately the football world has changed. We've stopped producing top-notch youngsters and the financial climate of the Scottish game dictates that even if we did we'd be unlikely to gain a great financial gain from anyone any more, so this skill has unfortunately been largely rendered useless.

The money gained from their sales have been invested in top-notch infrastructure. I can never understand when we're gnashing and wailing at what's wrong at Hibs that East Mains and the East Stand get blamed. These investments are the envy of almost every club in Scotland (and certainly of clubs similar to us in size), will be with us for a while and if USED PROPERLY will reap dividends for a long time to come.

IMO his main weakness is the complacency that he has taken into player purchase negotiations. The same hard-nosed business approach that raised significant funds for us in player sales had cost us god knows how many transfer targets. Probably the earliest I can remember was when he refused to allow Collins to bring Steven Hammell back to Scotland from Southend when we sold Murphy. Hammell joined Motherwell, a smaller club, a month after and has been a stalwart for the best part of a decade in a smaller club who have consistently outperformed us on the park. Chuck in your Griffiths, Taylor, Sheridan etc stories, we're not exactly short of examples of this happening.

When the 5th and 6th choice signings have failed, he has been too quick to pull the plug on managers as soon as the fans get a bit restless, ignoring why the problems started in the first place.

I know a member of the board at a lower league club who played at Easter Road earlier this season and he found the atmosphere behind the scenes at Easter Road totally bizarre. It was a very cold and frosty reception from the directors, and the length and breadth of the country the directors of clubs drink together and mingle before and after matches. He thought that it seemed like Petrie didn't allow anyone to speak to the other directors other than himself. He also couldn't believe how quickly the fans got on the players backs.

For a club to be successful their needs to be a solid spine to the club. The chairman must trust and back the manager, the players must implicitly trust and rate the manager and vice versa and the fans must have faith that these people are the best people to take the club forward. If that is the case then the fans will turn up, in numbers and support the team. This set-up will imo never happen under Petrie and for that reason he must go, albeit with an acknowledgment for the good he has done.

That seems like a balanced review and I pretty much agree with it all. Obviously the player and contract things are in many ways secrets however when guys like Hammell (who I always thought was a cracking player) are going to smaller clubs and also this season we had McManus training with us for weeks who IMO if we had signed would have been the exact sort we needed. The boat should have been put out for guys like him a solid Scottish international coming to the end of his career but a very good role model similar to Maybury for guys like Forster and Hanlon. There is no way he would have been training with us if he wasnt considering signing.

Quite simply it is symptomatic of a number of similar deals we appear to miss and which have massively bitten us on the bum. Off the top of my head recently Anderson/Flood/Robson/Faddy/McManus etc. I think Petrie/Butcher gambled on getting to the end of the season and then change well that worked. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that if McManus had been signed this season IMO there is no way we would have been anywhere near a relegation spot. You reap what you sow.

eggbamyasi
28-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for balance views . Think it makes a big diff when people reply with real points good and the bad . Rather than just spew bile about a person .

Geo_1875
28-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm of the view that Rod has been good for Hibs in a business sense over the years but has ultimately failed in the aims of football as a sport. He got good return on investment when selling many players but the same brinkmanship failed him when negotiating with potential signings. He employed numerous managers who must have suitably impressed him at interview but failed to back their professional judgement then bent to the will of the loudest of his customers who demanded they be sacked. If he'd shown the same loyalty to his managers that STF has shown him over many years we may have been in a better position.

JeMeSouviens
28-05-2014, 12:40 PM
It can't be denied that he did a hell of a job getting top $ for the golden generation and has invested wisely in infrastructure.

But the myth of Petrie's financial brilliance relies on forgetting about the extraordinary good luck he had in having a golden generation all come through together at a time when the OF were cutting back enough to be looking at Scottish players but not so much that they were willing to spend big in Scottish terms. Plus having the car park to sell at the height of the property bubble bailed us out of a big hole we'd spent our way into during the McLeish years.

So off field we've done well albeit with a lot of luck that he's made the most of.

On field we've done really, really badly. Especially since 2007 when the off field improvements should've been giving us a boost.

Given what a football club is for, it's hard to make any sort of case for him staying on in any capacity.