PDA

View Full Version : A view from the inside

reversep
27-05-2014, 07:27 PM
A view from the inside
On a previous post tornado hibs asked me if I worked for the club. Having worked voluntarily, and as a paid employee and supporter I feel I am a good position to outline what actually goes on at the club. My family were heavily involved in the club including main sponsor and corporate hospitality.
Rod Petrie:
This has been done to death on here but here is a few examples of Rod’s complete and utter mismanagement:
· Surrounding himself with suits who have ABSOLUTELY ZERO football knowledge in key positions – Fyfe Hyland, Scott Lindsay (Get to him in a bit), Bill Hendry (Get to him in a bit) and Jamie Marwick
· Financial constraints, missing out on Leigh Griffiths is a perfect example of the lack of ambition that the current chairman has for the club. It’s well known that Griffiths was willing to sign but Rod wouldn’t stump up the cash.
· General acceptance of bad standards, how anyone can accept the consistent failure and think a couple of statements shows a complete lack of respect for the support
Scott Lindsay
Due to the above points I stood up at the AGM in 2010 and asked how departing manager John Hughes had said we had the slowest squad in the SPL but yet the club had no handle on this. Therefore, I suggested to the top table that we appoint a Director of Football but this suggestion fell on deaf ears as the non-footballing board felt it would adversely affect the manager’s position. I now wait for George Craig to be appointed Director of Football 4 years too late
I had many discussions with Scott Lindsay during my employment at the club culminating in a meeting in the boardroom in August 2012 where I highlighted my concerns and frustrations with the way the club and youth academy were heading.
He agreed with the vast majority of what I suggested and agreed that the club were thinking along these lines but nothing ever happened. Maybe another example of the yes men Rod employs.
Bill Hendry Head of Youth
During my employment at the club it was clear to see that the academy was failing for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is Bill Hendry and his complete lack of footballing knowledge and professionalism. We were and are still constantly missing out on the best talent in the central belt of Scotland, yes we have some but not enough to justify the expense of the training centre. I raised my concerns about the lack of leadership, passion and drive to Scott Lindsay in our meeting in August 2012. I was surprised that he seemed to be aware of all these issues and had compiled a dossier in what he thought was areas to move the club forward. We both agreed that the Head of Youth should have a better footballing background and qualifications for such an important role in the football club. Having said that it is widely known that Bill Hendry is a friend of John Park, and when Park left he placed Bill in the hot seat.
I no longer work with the club and my family will no longer invest in the club through sponsorship or otherwise as long as Rod Petrie remains at our club

DarlingtonHibee
27-05-2014, 07:32 PM
A view from the inside
On a previous post tornado hibs asked me if I worked for the club. Having worked voluntarily, and as a paid employee and supporter I feel I am a good position to outline what actually goes on at the club. My family were heavily involved in the club including main sponsor and corporate hospitality.
Rod Petrie:
This has been done to death on here but here is a few examples of Rod’s complete and utter mismanagement:
· Surrounding himself with suits who have ABSOLUTELY ZERO football knowledge in key positions – Fyfe Hyland, Scott Lindsay (Get to him in a bit), Bill Hendry (Get to him in a bit) and Jamie Marwick
· Financial constraints, missing out on Leigh Griffiths is a perfect example of the lack of ambition that the current chairman has for the club. It’s well known that Griffiths was willing to sign but Rod wouldn’t stump up the cash.
· General acceptance of bad standards, how anyone can accept the consistent failure and think a couple of statements shows a complete lack of respect for the support
Scott Lindsay
Due to the above points I stood up at the AGM in 2010 and asked how departing manager John Hughes had said we had the slowest squad in the SPL but yet the club had no handle on this. Therefore, I suggested to the top table that we appoint a Director of Football but this suggestion fell on deaf ears as the non-footballing board felt it would adversely affect the manager’s position. I now wait for George Craig to be appointed Director of Football 4 years too late
I had many discussions with Scott Lindsay during my employment at the club culminating in a meeting in the boardroom in August 2012 where I highlighted my concerns and frustrations with the way the club and youth academy were heading.
He agreed with the vast majority of what I suggested and agreed that the club were thinking along these lines but nothing ever happened. Maybe another example of the yes men Rod employs.
During my employment at the club it was clear to see that the academy was failing for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is Bill Hendry and his complete lack of footballing knowledge and professionalism. We were and are still constantly missing out on the best talent in the central belt of Scotland, yes we have some but not enough to justify the expense of the training centre. I raised my concerns about the lack of leadership, passion and drive to Scott Lindsay in our meeting in August 2012. I was surprised that he seemed to be aware of all these issues and had compiled a dossier in what he thought was areas to move the club forward. We both agreed that the Head of Youth should have a better footballing background and qualifications for such an important role in the football club. Having said that it is widely known that Bill Hendry is a friend of John Park, and when Park left he placed Bill in the hot seat.
I no longer work with the club and my family will no longer invest in the club through sponsorship or otherwise as long as Rod Petrie remains at our club

Can you tell us how we missed out on Leigh financially - what was the gap ?

IanM
27-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
As a normal supporter I've spent a majority of my time supporting Hibs just wanting a winning team on the park and left the behind the scenes stuff to those in positions to influence things. Now us normal fans don't even have the winning team and it quite pains me to read that Hibs know there's problems off the park but do nothing to sort them? It's time to get rid of these people in those positions who're not there on merit. It's those who you know not what you know appointments that have ruined our club

Onion
27-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Appreciate your candid insight to ER and can only hope we can find our way through this mess. The club still has excellent potential. We just need people in place who can tap into that.

greenforgo
27-05-2014, 07:37 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
·Surrounding himself with suits who have ABSOLUTELY ZERO football knowledge in key positions – Fyfe Hyland, Scott Lindsay (Get to him in a bit), Bill Hendry (Get to him in a bit) and Jamie Marwick
·Financial constraints, missing out on Leigh Griffiths is a perfect example of the lack of ambition that the current chairman has for the club. It’s well known that Griffiths was willing to sign but Rod wouldn’t stump up the cash.
·General acceptance of bad standards, how anyone can accept the consistent failure and think a couple of statements shows a complete lack of respect for the support
Scott Lindsay
My good friend that you are. i am honoured you have finally put this thread up for all the other fans to see how bad our club has been run. I will leave the rest up to all the members to read this and to finally see how pathetic and incompetent our club is run....DIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEEERRRRRREEEENNNNNT CCCCCCCCLLLLLLLAAAAAAASSSSS:top marks

reversep
27-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Leigh was at an Edina Hibs ex players match last summer and said Hibs couldnt agree a fee with Wolves

Who do you believe Rod or Leigh Griffiths....I know who I believe

Greenworld
27-05-2014, 07:39 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

Very compelling reading and just re affirms everything thst many
have said

MurrayfieldHibs
27-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for this info. It ties in with info received from other contacts in and around the club. I just hope the fans keep their current anger going and force through real change -

Petrie must go

greenforgo
27-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Leigh was at an Edina Hibs ex players match last summer and said Hibs couldnt agree a fee with Wolves

Who do you believe Rod or Leigh Griffiths....I know who I believe He will also be attending this years aswell, i wonder what his thoughts will be!!!

147lothian
27-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Can you expand on attempts to get Leigh Griffiths, when he came the first time was any attempt made to sign him rather than bring him on loan? The second time after LG stock had risen it has been said hat RP went to wolves twice, was an offer made Asked for?

macd123
27-05-2014, 07:52 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
·Surrounding himself with suits who have ABSOLUTELY ZERO football knowledge in key positions – Fyfe Hyland, Scott Lindsay (Get to him in a bit), Bill Hendry (Get to him in a bit) and Jamie Marwick
·Financial constraints, missing out on Leigh Griffiths is a perfect example of the lack of ambition that the current chairman has for the club. It’s well known that Griffiths was willing to sign but Rod wouldn’t stump up the cash.
·General acceptance of bad standards, how anyone can accept the consistent failure and think a couple of statements shows a complete lack of respect for the support
Scott Lindsay

Pretty damning. Does the manager not have control over the academy??

Do you know anything about leeann dempster? Did she not leave motherwell in some financial bother?

reversep
27-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Can you expand on attempts to get Leigh Griffiths, when he came the first time was any attempt made to sign him rather than bring him on loan? The second time after LG stock had risen it has been said hat RP went to wolves twice, was an offer made Asked for?

I can only repeat what Leigh said himself

SunshineOnLeith
27-05-2014, 07:54 PM
In a previous job I once arrived at my desk to find a cheque signed by Rodders himself - I should have had it framed!

reversep
27-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Pretty damning. Does the manager not have control over the academy??

Do you know anything about leeann dempster? Did she not leave motherwell in some financial bother?

Pat Fenlon wanted Bill Hendry out of the club, but Rod did nothing to back him in the managers judgement.

I know nothing about Leann Dempsters background

DarlingtonHibee
27-05-2014, 07:57 PM

Hibs could not agree a fee, because we could not afford him!!

Wolves were holding out for more- ie Celtic.

I bet he is on 5 or 6 times what Hibs would be able to pay.

greenginger
27-05-2014, 07:58 PM

I get the feeling Rod did not want Griffiths at the Club at any price.

Did not want the potential bad publicity that would be generated by Leigh's first twitter explosion.

Not good for Club image or Rod's SFA ambitions.

No hard evidence, just an instinct.

mmmmhibby
27-05-2014, 07:58 PM

This is 100% true.

dmc1875
27-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I've heard rumblings about Bill Hendry being absolutely useless and it seems they are true. Makes a lot of sense given the facilities we have had for 7 years now and we aren't producing players/teams worthy of the first team yet.

Butcher said as much when he announced that Cummings joined Hibs for HALF the money Hearts were offering.

My own worry now is having known a fair few of the boys from Falkirks youth system if the rumours about Eddie May are true he could be yet another imposter.

Good read, thanks for posting. :top marks

Weir7
27-05-2014, 08:02 PM

We could have had him after his first spell after probs he had for YES for £150 k. After his brilliant season Rod went down to meet Mokley and YES offered £70k. And if you remember he made the fact he had a meeting with Wolves.

This was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Petrie is mister clock and dagger.

Went down to wolves and embarrassed himself and hibs.

PETRIE OUT.

hibeeleicester
27-05-2014, 08:02 PM
As an employee of a club down south I can only echo what has been said about Bill Hendry. He was even laughed at down here and often found himself on nice wee "scouting" missions.

Weir7
27-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Hibs could not agree a fee, because we could not afford him!!

Wolves were holding out for more- ie Celtic.

I bet he is on 5 or 6 times what Hibs would be able to pay.

Rubbish. Celtic only wanted him after he scored 28 goals

PatHead
27-05-2014, 08:08 PM
We could have had him after his first spell after probs he had for YES for £150 k. After his brilliant season Rod went down to meet Mokley and YES offered £70k. And if you remember he made the fact he had a meeting with Wolves.

This was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Petrie is mister clock and dagger.

PETRIE OUT.

I want RP out as much as the next supporter but that is just pure rubbish. Making things up will not rid us of RP.

Lee Marvin
27-05-2014, 08:10 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

This actually makes my blood boil. All the pieces seem to be falling into place and everything is starting to make sense. Our club is emploding and imo it's all down to one man, the fool calling the shots.

GET HIM OUT!!!

macd123
27-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Pat Fenlon wanted Bill Hendry out of the club, but Rod did nothing to back him in the managers judgement.

That's crazy it really is.

Personally i m quite concerned that dempster, butcher and may are not going to provide the answers we all want.

Irish_Steve
27-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I`m not having a go at the OP here or defending RP but I think a lot of myth and heresay have been built up around Leigh Griffith`s time at the club - as far as I am aware (and I`m probably wrong here) Wolves always had an option to extend Leigh`s contract with them which they duly did.

The thing that has always bothered me is that once Wolves took up that option, all Leigh had to do was wait until the New Year and then he could`ve signed a pre-contract with any team he wanted to - instead, Leigh decided to sign a new two year contract with Wolves - not exactly the actions of a man desperate to play for Hibs.
Thoughts??

Weir7
27-05-2014, 08:16 PM
I want RP out as much as the next supporter but that is just pure rubbish. Making things up will not rid us of RP.

its not pure rubbish

mmmmhibby
27-05-2014, 08:19 PM
That's crazy it really is.

Personally i m quite concerned that dempster, butcher and may are not going to provide the answers we all want.

We need some clarity, and we deserve some. The fans have been kept far too long in the dark. F*****G SHAMBOLIC!!!

mmmmhibby
27-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I`m not having a go at the OP here or defending RP but I think a lot of myth and heresay have been built up around Leigh Griffith`s time at the club - as far as I am aware (and I`m probably wrong here) Wolves always had an option to extend Leigh`s contract with them which they duly did.

The thing that has always bothered me is that once Wolves took up that option, all Leigh had to do was wait until the New Year and then he could`ve signed a pre-contract with any team he wanted to - instead, Leigh decided to sign a new two year contract with Wolves - not exactly the actions of a man desperate to play for Hibs.
Thoughts??

He was offered mega wages at Wolves compared to what he'd have been on at us. No brainer really.

reversep
27-05-2014, 08:26 PM
This is getting a bit side tracked about Leigh im only using him as an example but feel free to choose from any of the following players that we have definitely missed out on in the last year:

Willo Flood
Adam Rooney
Jamie Murphy
Gregg Wylde
Lubomir Michalik

PatHead
27-05-2014, 08:34 PM
its not pure rubbish

Beg to differ. I spoke to more than one member of the Hibs board about this. We never had the chance to sign Leigh for £150k at any time. By the time RP went down to try to sign Leigh he had already committed to Wolves for another year. He would therefore have never expected to get him for £70k.

It is just pure rubbish

Winston Ingram
27-05-2014, 08:35 PM

They weren't even on speaking terms for the last few months of Fenlon's reign. Fenlon used to blank him completely. :agree:

Kato
27-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Thoughts??

I wouldn't have turned down Wolves.

SunshineOnLeith
27-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Beg to differ. I spoke to more than one member of the Hibs board about this. We never had the chance to sign Leigh for £150k at any time. By the time RP went down to try to sign Leigh he had already committed to Wolves for another year. He would therefore have never expected to get him for £70k.

It is just pure rubbish

Nah mate, my Facebook and Twitter BOTH say it was 150k. They don't let just anyone post on the Internet.

Kato
27-05-2014, 08:38 PM
its not pure rubbish

I agree. It's laughably obviously pure rubbish.

Peevemor
27-05-2014, 08:38 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-lifts-lid-on-bid-for-leigh-griffiths-1-3084559

Cabbage7062
27-05-2014, 08:46 PM
dont usually reply much just use .net to read most of the time. however just like to say thanks for the insight.
good to see lots of us pulling together in trying to sort this mess out.

Kato
27-05-2014, 08:52 PM

There's a recurring mention in some management-speak official announcements that the manager will have full control of footballing matters. Management-Exec-babble/lies.

matty_f
27-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Nah mate, my Facebook and Twitter BOTH say it was 150k. They don't let just anyone post on the Internet.

:faf:

Theinsider
27-05-2014, 09:46 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-lifts-lid-on-bid-for-leigh-griffiths-1-3084559

Nothing but a blatant attempt to harp on about how we must buy season tickets if we want the club to invest.

Weststandwanab
27-05-2014, 09:49 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

Thank you for that very interesting.

Rod who ?

He will also be attending this years aswell, i wonder what his thoughts will be!!!

Is he not banned from making an appearance ?

:faf:

Me 2

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Nothing but a blatant attempt to harp on about how we must buy season tickets if we want the club to invest.

Story is from September 2013.

Peevemor
27-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Doesn't matter. It mentions Petrie therefore a stock response is required.

Greencore
27-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I support butcher but I do not support rod. We really need to back butcher in the summer. Yes I understand that butcher should have got the best out f the players and yes I understand that he has made errors regarding players contracts at the club (you're all out you're not getting a new deal) but I really do believe he will get it right. However with Petrie in charge. No I believe he will fail. He needs the backing of the board. Or else it will just be a spiral of appointing managers and then they fail because of no backing from the board. Fan ownership is the only way forward. We need to re invent this once great club. I know people won't agree with me on this but the fact is in January most of the funds were spent by fenlon. Butcher needs his own team. If he fails with backing from the board I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong here. I really don't want to go to games and give Petrie my money but the team needs us more then ever. We will not be another Dundee. Our fans have shown this season we are loyal and come through for the team when they need us most. Very interesting post. Just made me more determined to get Petrie out.

Blaster
27-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Couple of things for me. I would loved more than anything to get Leigh in the summer but the summer before a number of fans wouldn't have paid 10p for him because of his antics towards the fans. Unfortunately when someone scores the goals he scored last season he became outwith our means.

2nd thing. Bill Hendry will have a more admin role soon i think

Criswell
27-05-2014, 10:14 PM

PETRIE OUT.

And yet we are told he paid £200k for Collins :confused:

PatHead
27-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Try nearer half that.

Nutmegged
27-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Think it was closer to £110k...but it was in the best interests of Rod to let that myth grow, that being said, £200k is absolute monkey nuts, ive no idea why that figure is somehow a gauranteed expectation of quality

Viva_Palmeiras
27-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I've heard rumblings about Bill Hendry being absolutely useless and it seems they are true. Makes a lot of sense given the facilities we have had for 7 years now and we aren't producing players/teams worthy of the first team yet.

Butcher said as much when he announced that Cummings joined Hibs for HALF the money Hearts were offering.

My own worry now is having known a fair few of the boys from Falkirks youth system if the rumours about Eddie May are true he could be yet another imposter.

Good read, thanks for posting. :top marks

Please expand - the Falkirk die-hard at my work says Eddie has and eye for a player something Pat Stanton acknowledged as a weakness at first team level. Never a manager but that's not what his role would be.

silverhibee
27-05-2014, 10:26 PM
In my opinion i don't think Griffiths wanted to come back to Hibs on a permanent deal with us, just my opinion though. :aok:

HarpyHibby
27-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Try nearer half that.

Think it was closer to £110k...but it was in the best interests of Rod to let that myth grow, that being said, £200k is absolute monkey nuts, ive no idea why that figure is somehow a gauranteed expectation of quality

Heard the same from Stuart Gilmour, the St Mirren chairman/owner. He also said we paid close to 200k for Heffernan.

dmc1875
27-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Please expand - the Falkirk die-hard at my work says Eddie has and eye for a player something Pat Stanton acknowledged as a weakness at first team level. Never a manager but that's not what his role would be.

That might be true, it was more his development and coaching of the youth players that was questioned. I know a couple of the lads who used to be youth boys at falkirk, one who is still there.

Also on the 'eye for the player' front, we have Marsella the messiah for that it would seem

timewilltell
27-05-2014, 10:32 PM
No facts as usual..... Just hearsay ......

Getting bored with all this now.

New CEO new season, new team, let's just get on with it!

The Green Goblin
27-05-2014, 10:36 PM
No facts as usual..... Just hearsay ......

Getting bored with all this now.

New CEO new season, new team, let's just get on with it!

New league...,,

jeffers
27-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Thanks OP, interesting read.

While I can't comment on most of it, a few things I have heard (and some I already posted.)

RP believed a deal had been made to sign LG for £285,000 and was down at Wolves trying to conclude the deal when they sacked their manager, appointed Saunders and he was unwilling to sanction any moves until he had assessed the squad. RP went back again last summer but Wolves refused to sell. I agree with silver, if LG had really wanted to come back he wouldn't have signed the extension.....

PF wanted rid of someone in the youth set-up (my mate who told me couldn't remember the name, I suspect based on other things I've read here it was Bill Hendry) but RP refused to get rid of him.

We paid just over £100,000 for Collins.

CraigHibee
27-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Heard the same from Stuart Gilmour, the St Mirren chairman/owner. He also said we paid close to 200k for Heffernan.

I might be wrong but did killie not release heffernan? Surely wouldnt have had to pay anything for him?

HarpyHibby
27-05-2014, 11:12 PM
I might be wrong but did killie not release heffernan? Surely wouldnt have had to pay anything for him?

Not 100% sure what the circumstances were, but according to Wikipedia, we agreed a deal with Kilmarnock on the 30th of August last year.

CraigHibee
27-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Not 100% sure what the circumstances were, but according to Wikipedia, we agreed a deal with Kilmarnock on the 30th of August last year.

According to the daily ranger it was a freebie

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibernian-boss-pat-fenlon-delighted-2269452

You never know though bud

greenlex
27-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Who is George Craig and is he being appointed DOF?

Deansy
27-05-2014, 11:38 PM
I support butcher but I do not support rod. We really need to back butcher in the summer. Yes I understand that butcher should have got the best out f the players and yes I understand that he has made errors regarding players contracts at the club (you're all out you're not getting a new deal) but I really do believe he will get it right. However with Petrie in charge. No I believe he will fail. He needs the backing of the board. Or else it will just be a spiral of appointing managers and then they fail because of no backing from the board. Fan ownership is the only way forward. We need to re invent this once great club. I know people won't agree with me on this but the fact is in January most of the funds were spent by fenlon. Butcher needs his own team. If he fails with backing from the board I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong here. I really don't want to go to games and give Petrie my money but the team needs us more then ever. We will not be another Dundee. Our fans have shown this season we are loyal and come through for the team when they need us most. Very interesting post. Just made me more determined to get Petrie out.

Agree Petrie, his board and his whole ethos of 'Business 1st - Football 2nd' must go but I don't understand why all of a sudden 'Fan Ownership' is THE guaranteed way to success and prosperity ?. These clowns across the town seem to have everyone convinced it is (along with some help from their loving media) but next season they're going to be supporting teams/players they CAN afford. For the vast majority of their support it's going to be a huge culture-shock. Let's see what happens to their numbers then !.

jacomo
27-05-2014, 11:39 PM

Thoughts??

:agree:

The people perpetuating the 'Leigh was available for £150k' always skate over the biggest issue - his salary demands.

I am sure if we offered him £8k a week he would be happy to play for Hibs... The fact is we can't and so he's sought to get the best deal elsewhere. I don't blame him for that, but it's a bit disingenuous for LG to claim that he'd love to sign for us when he knows we won't pay the kind of money he's after.

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 05:31 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/rod-petrie-lifts-lid-on-bid-for-leigh-griffiths-1-3084559The thing I took from this story is that...
Hibs having put up a reputed £200,000 for Collins and a much smaller sum to Bradford City to secure the signing of Michael Nelson......we paid money for Michael Nelson.

:idiot:

Theinsider
28-05-2014, 05:49 AM

Oops me bad!! Just shows the expectancy I have at the moment relating to RP.

livi hibby
28-05-2014, 06:42 AM
hibs have watched my boy since he was 9 now 18 up until this year scouts have still seen him and as they have said they have been impressed with him .I was told they wanted to sign him but was told bill Hendry said no why I don't know he never even seen him kick a ball what gets me is why they never even just asked him to come train it would have costed nothing like I say I have only been told this through other people

reversep
28-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Couple of things for me. I would loved more than anything to get Leigh in the summer but the summer before a number of fans wouldn't have paid 10p for him because of his antics towards the fans. Unfortunately when someone scores the goals he scored last season he became outwith our means.

2nd thing. Bill Hendry will have a more admin role soon i think

Re your second point, do you think its good business to appoint Bill Hendry in an admin role? Our previous Manager and previous Chief Exec both wanted rid!
His years as Head Of Youth years have coincided with a terrible return in terms of youth players who have been good enough to cut in the Premiership. Strong leadership would have cut their loss,s by now and appointed a new Head OF Youth a long time ago.

Paisley Hibby
28-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Thoughts??

Same here mate. I've always been sceptical about Hibs.Net FACT on this one.

PapillonVert
28-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Sad that we missed out on our best goalscorer for years. We would never have been relegated had Leigh been in the squad IMO.

The penny-pinching and lack of vision truly have come back to haunt us big time. How much is the failure to shell out a few extra thousand to Wolves going to cost the club in the next few years (because I am not confident we will bounce back up next year or even the year after that)? Many times more than it would have cost to buy Griffiths from Wolves in the first place.

Let's hope this whole sad (and avoidable) episode proves to be cathartic for the club and we have reforms from top to bottom. A more ambitious vision and a strategy for where the club is aiming should be top of Leeann's agenda. And a free hand from STF to get rid of the deadwood at every level - ruthlessly.

For too long, the ambition has been negative (avoid relegation, see who's still available when the transfer window is about to close and pick them up on the cheap) and now look where we are. That strategy has backfired spectacularly.

Winston Ingram
28-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Re your second point, do you think its good business to appoint Bill Hendry in an admin role? Our previous Manager and previous Chief Exec both wanted rid!
His years as Head Of Youth years have coincided with a terrible return in terms of youth players who have been good enough to cut in the Premiership. Strong leadership would have cut their loss,s by now and appointed a new Head OF Youth a long time ago.

From what i was told admin is far from his strong point. He arranged a game against some Aussie university and then completely forgot about it until the bus pulled up at the training ground.

Callum_62
28-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Bill Hendry was there when I played for Hibs as a youth - many years ago now

That was during the McLeish years.

Thought he was a total plank

Actually the youth set up at that time was a disgrace, new guys showing up every week....lost a great youth coach that came with me from Celtic too (Hugh McGorm)

I could have signed for either Hibs or Hearts back then - wish I went to the Jambos now

Weir7
28-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Bill Hendry was there when I played for Hibs as a youth - many years ago now

That was during the McLeish years.

Thought he was a total plank

Actually the youth set up at that time was a disgrace, new guys showing up every week....lost a great youth coach that came with me from Celtic too (Hugh McGorm)

I could have signed for either Hibs or Hearts back then - wish I went to the Jambos now
Thats sad to hear especially from a hivs fan. What was the actual.problems?

Who ran the youths back then?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Who is George Craig and is he being appointed DOF?

Is he the guy who was at Falkirk?

hibs4thecup1988
28-05-2014, 08:57 AM
I had a very informative chat with Rod Petrie in October - not going to lie it was for 10 minutes but we discussed signings. He asked my laddie who is favourite players were etc...and he said Griffiths. Petrie said with a smile "But son he doesn't play for us anymore" I replied - he could have been if you parted with £150k...to which he smiled and said "I wish".

Then I said to my laddie who is your favourite player now silly - and he said yup you guessed it - Collins. To which I said to Petrie - "£200k well spent if my boy likes him" - again got a smirk and a "No way... not even half including wages"

Make of that what you will. As for Heffernan, I know a Killie fan and we got him for the cost of his remaining contract. Whatever that was I do not know, say it was £2k a week with a year left? £100k? Don't think it would have been as high as £2k mind you.

The youth set up is terrible. Been told that a few times as my boy plays for a team and they contact the coach in advance to say they are coming, and then don't turn up.

AlbertK86
28-05-2014, 09:04 AM
hibs have watched my boy since he was 9 now 18 up until this year scouts have still seen him and as they have said they have been impressed with him .I was told they wanted to sign him but was told bill Hendry said no why I don't know he never even seen him kick a ball what gets me is why they never even just asked him to come train it would have costed nothing like I say I have only been told this through other people

I've said it before on here.

I coach a youth team and have done for 10 years

My son was at Hibs on trial for six months when he was 11 but never got kept on. This was always going to be the case as I knew he wasn't up to the standard required.

I am aware what standard is required for youths to make the grade.

6 players that I have coached are/were until very recently in the pro youth set ups but none at Hibs.

I have twice emailed Hibs to recommend players that I thought were worthy of a look

I explained as I have above

I got an automated reply that it would be passed to the appropriate department and that somebody would be in touch

Did I hear from anybody .... No

Did any scouts come anywhere near .... No

As mentioned numerous times our scouting network barely exists and surely it does not do them any harm to look when they get recommendations

To me this is typical of the arrogant attitude of the club that stems from the top

Was our chief scout a few years ago not a relation of one of the board who had little football background

Callum_62
28-05-2014, 10:51 AM

I assume Hendry was in charge, but John Park made a few appearances too (I may be wrong who the actual boss was)

We won everything with our Celtic side, and brung a few players and our manager over

Hugh was highly dedicated - and had his Celtic side as fit as possible. No shirking was ever accepted

He didnt last long at Hibs - presumably as he complained about the shoddy set up

Celtic decided against putting a side in the initiative league, so we went to Hibs.

Memory slightly faded, but I remember counting about midway through the season and we had used 35 different players (outwith the squad that originally started).

Just random guys would turn up on the weekend and get a game - it was madness now I think about it

Waxy
28-05-2014, 11:37 AM
So the moral of the storey is, no point having superb facilities unless you have proper coaches using them.
Better to have proper staff working on public parks than imposters using our top facility?
At this moment we seem to have alot of imposters in alot of positions.
Get them all out.

Cropley10
28-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I had a very informative chat with Rod Petrie in October - not going to lie it was for 10 minutes but we discussed signings. He asked my laddie who is favourite players were etc...and he said Griffiths. Petrie said with a smile "But son he doesn't play for us anymore" I replied - he could have been if you parted with £150k...to which he smiled and said "I wish".

Then I said to my laddie who is your favourite player now silly - and he said yup you guessed it - Collins. To which I said to Petrie - "£200k well spent if my boy likes him" - again got a smirk and a "No way... not even half including wages"

Make of that what you will. As for Heffernan, I know a Killie fan and we got him for the cost of his remaining contract. Whatever that was I do not know, say it was £2k a week with a year left? £100k? Don't think it would have been as high as £2k mind you.

The youth set up is terrible. Been told that a few times as my boy plays for a team and they contact the coach in advance to say they are coming, and then don't turn up.

Rod, the arch-negotiator. We've been lucky to have someone with his financial acumen etc. etc.

gringojoe
28-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Hibs have not sold a player since Hendry took charge, changed days.

woodyloon
28-05-2014, 05:18 PM
The more you hear about Hibs and how it run, makes you understand why we have struggled the past few seasons and ended up going down regardless who the manager is.

Really is sad, things need to change, but I don't think Hibs have anyone strong enough within to make the changes required.

hibsdancer
28-05-2014, 10:28 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

Are you aware what coaching badges bill has? Did he help you and other coaches improve your skills? What strategy did he set for youth development?

Greencore
28-05-2014, 11:49 PM
This is getting a bit side tracked about Leigh im only using him as an example but feel free to choose from any of the following players that we have definitely missed out on in the last year:

Willo Flood
Adam Rooney
Jamie Murphy
Gregg Wylde
Lubomir Michalik Renee Howe.

RIP Bestie
29-05-2014, 04:08 AM

Willo Flood
Adam Rooney
Jamie Murphy
Gregg Wylde
Lubomir Michalik
This is nothing new.
Who didn't know that we weren't prepared to offer what Wolves wanted for Griffiths?
Of the other players you mentioned, Sheffield United decided not to sell Murphy due to a change of manager and an upturn in his form. Aberdeen were prepared to outbid us on Rooney and Wylde and thank The Lord the big centre half didn't want to come to Scotland. As for Flood, if I'm not mistaken we had already shelled out on Craig, Thomson and Robertson for midfield and it was probably felt that the money could be used elsewhere. So therefore we probably weren't prepared to offer what Aberdeen could

H18Y GW
29-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Can you tell us how we missed out on Leigh financially - what was the gap ?

Leigh may well have wanted to sign, Wolves were not prepared to let him go .

Non story

Viva_Palmeiras
29-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Leigh may well have wanted to sign, Wolves were not prepared to let him go .

Non story

Land let's not kid ourselves - the trajectory Leigh was on at Hibs he was only going to stay 1 and at most 2 seasons before being sold to Celtc.

Notahappyhibee
29-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Am I the only Hibs fan that not wanting butcher sacked. I wanted him at the club years ago. I personally think we would have been relegated no matter who the manager was. The players we had in the last couple of years other than a couple of exceptions have not been good enough for Hibs.
I think if given the funds and backing from Leanne he can turn it around, we have been needing a major clear out of the playing staff for years so this the right time to do it. Asking fans to put together enough money to buy Butcher out is in my opinion pointless.
There is a lot of thing that have been mismanaged at the club and MR Petrie has to take sole blame and should do the right thing and walk away with his tail between legs but we all know he is not going to do that. I think his smile at the end of the game on Sunday was at the knowledge that his plan had work, I believe he was wanting us to get relegated knowing sky/BT would like tv rights and there will be more money in the 1st division ( championship ) with hearts and rangers along with the good side that there already.
We are in for a long hard season again but one that after having my heart ripped out on Sunday I'm looking forward to and I've not said that in a few years. Knowing we have released over a dozen players means Butcher will be building a team from scratch which hopefully will happen as possible so there is time to gel before the season starts.
We would never win the SPL so a 2nd place where Hibernian should be I know that.
So this season we will be looking for a top three finish to at least get a chance of a play off and if we can get a run in the cups all the better.
This a new era for the club and the fans alike I for one will still be going to as many games as possible. I have my season ticket and on reduced pricing of home games yes totally agree needs to be look at but I am willing to pay the original price if the money is going straight to the fund for bring players in, I pay the direct debit so i never really miss it.
This is MY opinion a lot will not agree with me so what no skin of my nose, I'm looking forward hopefully without Petrie to the coming season.
GGTTH !!!
notahappyhibee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edinburghhibee
29-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Am I the only Hibs fan that not wanting butcher sacked. I wanted him at the club years ago. I personally think we would have been relegated no matter who the manager was. The players we had in the last couple of years other than a couple of exceptions have not been good enough for Hibs. I think if given the funds and backing from Leanne he can turn it around, we have been needing a major clear out of the playing staff for years so this the right time to do it. Asking fans to put together enough money to buy Butcher out is in my opinion pointless. There is a lot of thing that have been mismanaged at the club and MR Petrie has to take sole blame and should do the right thing and walk away with his tail between legs but we all know he is not going to do that. I think his smile at the end of the game on Sunday was at the knowledge that his plan had work, I believe he was wanting us to get relegated knowing sky/BT would like tv rights and there will be more money in the 1st division ( championship ) with hearts and rangers along with the good side that there already. We are in for a long hard season again but one that after having my heart ripped out on Sunday I'm looking forward to and I've not said that in a few years. Knowing we have released over a dozen players means Butcher will be building a team from scratch which hopefully will happen as possible so there is time to gel before the season starts. We would never win the SPL so a 2nd place where Hibernian should be I know that. So this season we will be looking for a top three finish to at least get a chance of a play off and if we can get a run in the cups all the better. This a new era for the club and the fans alike I for one will still be going to as many games as possible. I have my season ticket and on reduced pricing of home games yes totally agree needs to be look at but I am willing to pay the original price if the money is going straight to the fund for bring players in, I pay the direct debit so i never really miss it. This is MY opinion a lot will not agree with me so what no skin of my nose, I'm looking forward hopefully without Petrie to the coming season. GGTTH !!! notahappyhibee Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with you mate I'm still willing to give butcher the opportunity to turn this around however Petrie needs to go we've suffered enough under his leadership

timewilltell
29-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Am I the only Hibs fan that not wanting butcher sacked. I wanted him at the club years ago. I personally think we would have been relegated no matter who the manager was. The players we had in the last couple of years other than a couple of exceptions have not been good enough for Hibs.
I think if given the funds and backing from Leanne he can turn it around, we have been needing a major clear out of the playing staff for years so this the right time to do it. Asking fans to put together enough money to buy Butcher out is in my opinion pointless.
There is a lot of thing that have been mismanaged at the club and MR Petrie has to take sole blame and should do the right thing and walk away with his tail between legs but we all know he is not going to do that. I think his smile at the end of the game on Sunday was at the knowledge that his plan had work, I believe he was wanting us to get relegated knowing sky/BT would like tv rights and there will be more money in the 1st division ( championship ) with hearts and rangers along with the good side that there already.
We are in for a long hard season again but one that after having my heart ripped out on Sunday I'm looking forward to and I've not said that in a few years. Knowing we have released over a dozen players means Butcher will be building a team from scratch which hopefully will happen as possible so there is time to gel before the season starts.
We would never win the SPL so a 2nd place where Hibernian should be I know that.
So this season we will be looking for a top three finish to at least get a chance of a play off and if we can get a run in the cups all the better.
This a new era for the club and the fans alike I for one will still be going to as many games as possible. I have my season ticket and on reduced pricing of home games yes totally agree needs to be look at but I am willing to pay the original price if the money is going straight to the fund for bring players in, I pay the direct debit so i never really miss it.
This is MY opinion a lot will not agree with me so what no skin of my nose, I'm looking forward hopefully without Petrie to the coming season.
GGTTH !!!
notahappyhibee

Absolutely THIS!

nribs
29-05-2014, 08:45 AM
GGTTH !!!
notahappyhibee

I'm not buying that Rod wanted us relegated? And in getting relegated his plan worked.

Nailrod
29-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Am I the only Hibs fan that not wanting butcher sacked? I would have hoped that Butcher would have the integrity to leave voluntarily, but since apparently he doesn't, I don't want him sacked.

The reasons are:
1. Our squad has already been decimated
2. The budget to replace them has already been hammered by relegation. Sacking Butcher would cost an absolute fortune, and could only come from the players budget, hammering it even harder.
3. I hope that Petrie will be gone.

Bringing in a new manager in these circumstances would mean bringing him into a situation where there is a new executive team in charge at the club, the squad has been decimated, and there is no money to replace them. In such circumstances, promotion next season would be literally a miracle. It would be asking the impossible of a new manager, and could wreck his long-term prospects.

I think our chances of promotion next season are next to nothing anyway. I would rather muddle through with Butcher, get the new executive team in place, and get our finances sorted out. If Butcher screws up again next season he cannot possibly stay, however shameless he is, and if he somehow works a miracle and gets us promoted, then I supposed he's earned another year.

Callum_62
29-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I also want Butcher/Malpas and Marsela to stay - as long as he has the budget required to give us a fighting chance in the Championship

Happy for Rod to go

SlickShoes
29-05-2014, 09:15 AM
I would have hoped that Butcher would have the integrity to leave voluntarily, but since apparently he doesn't, I don't want him sacked.

The reasons are:
1. Our squad has already been decimated
2. The budget to replace them has already been hammered by relegation. Sacking Butcher would cost an absolute fortune, and could only come from the players budget, hammering it even harder.
3. I hope that Petrie will be gone.

Bringing in a new manager in these circumstances would mean bringing him into a situation where there is a new executive team in charge at the club, the squad has been decimated, and there is no money to replace them. In such circumstances, promotion next season would be literally a miracle. It would be asking the impossible of a new manager, and could wreck his long-term prospects.

I think our chances of promotion next season are next to nothing anyway. I would rather muddle through with Butcher, get the new executive team in place, and get our finances sorted out. If Butcher screws up again next season he cannot possibly stay, however shameless he is, and if he somehow works a miracle and gets us promoted, then I supposed he's earned another year.

Pretty much how I feel, I wanted him to walk away after Sunday but now that the only option seems to be sacking him then finding a new manager we probably wouldn't even have time to find enough players to field a team for mid/late July.

jacomo
29-05-2014, 12:40 PM
GGTTH !!!
notahappyhibee

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm struggling to take yours seriously. This is little more than baseless conspiracy theory.

aberhibsfc
29-05-2014, 01:01 PM

It is just pure rubbish

If memory serves me right, Wolves were going through their own management transition during Griffiths loan. I believe that Griffiths contract afforded the club an extention option, which the manager at the time opted for.

Aye weel.

Notahappyhibee
29-05-2014, 01:11 PM
As it says it's my opinion so I don't care if you buy it or not

silverhibee
29-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Donald Park.

Kato
29-05-2014, 01:51 PM

sniff

Hibee Ryan
29-05-2014, 03:05 PM
There needs to be a big change in our youth recruitment network.

I referee U13 and U14 games and I've seen at least 5 different scouts come to about 20 games in that time, 4 different guys from Hearts and one from Celtic. The Hearts scouts weren't even all at top division games. I was talking to one after a game and he was saying that he would just spend the whole Sunday at Forresters and watch every game that was on and just see what was out there.

We don't even seem to have anything like this in place and I know of 4 or 5 very good players that might not make the grade but every single one plays for Hearts and despite Hibs having better facilities we don't seem to attract these youngsters to come to us and we are now seeing the results with no real talent breaking through since the golden generation days.

GreenPJ
29-05-2014, 03:16 PM

I referee U13 and U14 games and I've seen at least 5 different scouts come to about 20 games in that time, 4 different guys from Hearts and one from Celtic. The Hearts scouts weren't even all at top division games. I was talking to one after a game and he was saying that he would just spend the whole Sunday at Forresters and watch every game that was on and just see what was out there.

We don't even seem to have anything like this in place and I know of 4 or 5 very good players that might not make the grade but every single one plays for Hearts and despite Hibs having better facilities we don't seem to attract these youngsters to come to us and we are now seeing the results with no real talent breaking through since the golden generation days.

What is a realistic number to expect to breakthrough into the first team each season? Its not a facetious question I genuinely don't know but I think a bit like Man Utd the respective 'golden generations' were an exception rather than the norm (even for a club like Man Utd).

CyberSauzee
29-05-2014, 03:33 PM
What is a realistic number to expect to breakthrough into the first team each season? Its not a facetious question I genuinely don't know but I think a bit like Man Utd the respective 'golden generations' were an exception rather than the norm (even for a club like Man Utd).

If you got 1 per year staking a realistic claim for a first team starting place you'll be doing well. If you can have, say a couple every year over a three year period then you have half a team as we had 10 years ago. Same as Man Utd 20 years ago.

As you've pointed out they are the extremes.

greenlex
29-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Our scouting system may be fundementally flawed but players are still coming through. The only players with anything nearing pass marks thus season have been Stanton and latterly Cummings. Harris burst through last seasonal dud Foster. I think that's a decent return. The fact they are playing in poor sides won't help them but I do think that if they had been playing in successful sides their stock would be high and probably worth a few bob to the club. I'm not saying it couldn't be better but I don't think using the golden generation as the benchmark helps.

ekhibee
29-05-2014, 06:01 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

First of all I totally agree that Petrie should go, and that Hendry seems pretty useless. I disagree about the Griffiths situation, and agree with one of the other posters who quite rightly pointed out that Griffiths could have signed a pre-contract with Hibs and just let his contract with Wolves run down- he didn't. Whether that was down to him or his agent of course is another matter. Interesting what you were saying about Scott Lindsay too. The fact that he isn't at the club any more could have had something to do with what you were saying about that dossier that he had, maybe we'll never know. Did you say your family used to be the main sponsor of Hibs? Which company was that?

Busy Bear
29-05-2014, 06:28 PM

Yes, agree with this. I help out at a local boys club team and Hearts and Celtic are the Scouts who i see watching our games and making approaches most.
On a slight tangent, I have always felt Pro teams should send coaches down to the boys clubs teams and take a few sessions here and there to build up a better relationship with the clubs, the way I see it Pro clubs in general is all take take take in large numbers then 6-7 weeks down the line discard these players (boys!!) from trials back to teams who have to pick up the lads moral and start again.

sauzee6_2
29-05-2014, 07:45 PM
A view from the inside
Rod Petrie:
Scott Lindsay

Need to take issue with a lot of this....seems you have an axe to grind here.

As an ex employee myself (2006 - 2012) perhaps we know each other, however from my experience, a lot of this is just not true.

Unless you are part of the football dept (as I was) it is not fair to comment. Having worked under 5 managers, EVERY manager kept the football dept separate from every other dept, and as such 'outsiders' (even other club employees) only got snippets of what went on.

Genuinely don't believe that you know / understand what Bill Hendry does, of all the problems at the club, youth development is not the worst, Cummings, Stanton, Forster, Harris have all come through in the last 2 years.