PDA

View Full Version : Hands on Hibs - looking back

GreenCastle
27-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Amazing to look back and see that several people saw within the Hibs support what has led us to where we are today.

Hands on Hibs was put together a few years ago and never really given enough support as many thought the board could do wrong.

Must be quite a few fans now regretting not getting involved or backing it.

There have been many posts on this site over the years that were shot down for any board criticism and STF being untouchable.

More support back then and we 100% wouldn't be where we are today.

SlickShoes
27-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Amazing to look back and see that several people saw within the Hibs support what has led us to where we are today.

Hands on Hibs was put together a few years ago and never really given enough support as many thought the board could do wrong.

Must be quite a few fans now regretting not getting involved or backing it.

There have been many posts on this site over the years that were shot down for any board criticism and STF being untouchable.

More support back then and we 100% wouldn't be where we are today.

Fire up the time machine then so we can go back and change it!

MrSmith
27-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Personally, feel for your plight however, would rather forget the past and get on now! Horses, stables and doors spring to mind therefore, the time for that particular movement of which, I was a part of first time around, is now! Forget the gloating and start pushing positively! :)

Makaveli
27-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I remember when we beat Dunfermline 5-2 in September 1997, there were two guys in the west stand at HT handing out leaflets about Rod Petrie being bad for the club.

I was only 9 and didn't know who this Rod Petrie guy was but it planted a seed of doubt that never really went away.

Would that have been a Hands on Hibs thing?

Gregor
27-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Hands On Hibs took quite an aggressive stance on the situation, but it was what was needed. I think the adoption of Kennedy's bid to buy the club, or invest with control caused it a to go bit awry and there was some splintering (Judean People's Front etc) that took place.

Out of this came a couple of events:

- a reluctant acceptance from the board that the supporters were more than just sheep, and therein Farmer took things more seriously. Interestingly, this is where Petrie ousted control from O'Malley who was making a right arse of things following on Lex Gold's appalling tenureship.

- The Fans Forum at the old Parliarment ; some very impassioned pleas for various supporter - a who's who of Hibbees ; and a farcical pre-recorded video speech from Tom Farmer who had been pretty much getting it in the neck all year that went down like a ton of bricks.

- The Erin Trust, who reluctantly shied away from the HoH campaign because the point of the trust was not for complete fan ownership or a place on the board, but rather to invest in the club. The Trust still exists and I suppose could be - in this trend of fan ownership - sounded out to determine if a change in policy could be implemented and kickstart a new round of funding.

The net result was that the club stopped taking the piss and learned to listen to the supporters for the first time in years. There was a lot of brutal home truths said, but it saw greater involvement from Farmer albeit through his moustachioed proxy.

I think John Campbell could probably offer a bit more detail as my involvement was merely from an Erinweb + Erin Trust POV looking in, although it was an honour and a privilege to attend and cover the Forum. I may still have some photos from that evening kicking about.

There was also the stadium move one, but I'd retired from involvement by that point. That would have been 2003/04 maybe?