PDA

View Full Version : 15 years ago

FromTheCapital
26-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Does this feel the same for you now than it did when we were relegated 15 years ago? Will the big attendances and winning ways be the same as back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
26-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Does this feel the same for you now than it did when we were relegated 15 years ago? Will the big attendances and winning ways be the same as back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really remember back then as I was only 10 so my memory's a bit hazy.

I don't think there's the same feeling around the club though. We're at a much lower ebb than we were in '98.

Spudster
26-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Will the big attendances and winning ways be the same as back then?
Not a chance. We spent alot of cash on real quality players back then. Something we couldn't do now even if we wanted to.
http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1227&teamTabs=transfers&season_id=127

Hovehibby
26-05-2014, 09:51 PM
For me this one is far far worse. It's been a long, slow decline almost since Hampden in 2007. A lot of die hard hibees have become disenheartened and will not be back until real change happens, and that will affect the attendances. Couple that with the relatively lower wages on offer nowadays and it'll be difficult to find players like Sauzee and Latapy to get us up first time

I still think that we have a chance of automatic promotion, as the new Huns are financially in doggy doo, as are the yams, but if you are an out-of-work footballer, unfortunately I think that we, out of the three, are the lesser draw due to the negativity surrounding our club.

I hope that the fans will stay true in big numbers, but after all the knocks we have taken recently, attendances will probably suffer.

The clear out we saw today is a start towards getting a proper team together who can compete in the championship, but there's still a long way to go before the fans can hope again.

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-05-2014, 09:53 PM
This is considerably worse than 98

marleyhib
26-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Big difference.

Duffy got us relegated that season, McLeish couldn't save us but I think we knew we had a decent manager.

If you look at the squad then we had some decent players Yogi, McGinlay, Crawford, at the moment we have next to none.

McLeish spent 600K and brought in the likes of Lovell, Latapy, Sauzee, Paatelainen, Hartley

ACLeith
26-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Yup, back then we had sacked a poor manager and brought someone in who knew what he was doing and who nearly saved us. My view back then was that if only we had made the change earlier then we would probably have escaped. I remember going to Killie after we were relegated and the fans singing "We'll meet again" and "Always look on the bright side of life". There was genuine optimism that it would be a short stay in Div 1.

Wind forward to 2014 ..... it isn't just the naming of the divisions that is different

IberianHibernian
26-05-2014, 10:08 PM
This is my 3rd relegation as a Hibs fan and is probably the worst . In 1980 it was sad because we`d been so good just a few years before but we still had a few good players , crowds were lifted by Best signing and we reached semis of both cups . In 1998 we finished quite strongly albeit too late to save us and signed some good players after relegation but 2014 in which we should have been challenging for top 4 has just been disaster after disaster in league and cup with terrible football . Next year won`t be like other times in that we won`t be favourites to win league and there should be big crowds against Hearts and The Rangers . Once dust has settled , a new manager selected after a serious selection process of several weeks followed by a few interesting signings along with intelligent pricing will help créate a good atmosphere for an interesting season but carrying on with failed management team and silly prices will ensure more negativity .

EdinMike
26-05-2014, 10:10 PM
This is worse than 98.. And we won't bounce back this time...

erin go bragh
26-05-2014, 10:51 PM
We got relegated in 98 and they gunts won the cup . Were relegated 2014 and so are they . No contest for me. 98 was fin nightmare .

Ggtth

the pie eater
26-05-2014, 11:00 PM

Totaly agree.Still hurting.As previously mentioned we had someone in charge who had a clue. I'm afraid we could be down for a few seaons. Hope I am proved wrong.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2014, 11:09 PM
1998 we were actually on an upturn after McLeish came in and there was a real feeling we might just pull off the impossible. Had McLeish had another few weeks we would have. The 2 goals against Hearts on New Years Day to grab a draw were, with hindsight, the worst thing to happen to us as it kept Duffy in a job a bit longer.

Even then the start of the next season saw McLeish under pressure. We started slowly. Scraped a win away to Morton, lost at home to Stranraer, drew with Falkirk, beat Ayr, drew with Clydebank and lost to St Mirren in our 1st 6 league games. We got to the 3rd round of the League Cup after beating Hamilton and Aberdeen before getting humped away to St Johnstone 4-0. The fans that night really turned and chants of 'sack the board' rang out most of the 2nd half. Hands on Hibs were also active around this time. It was the signing of the likes of Mixu, Latapy and Sauzee that saw us go on a long unbeaten run and win the league comfortably.

I'm not sure we have the money to throw at the problem this time and it just feels far worse and more long term this time around. This is definitely worse than 98 imo.

dmc1875
26-05-2014, 11:13 PM
This is far worse. I still have my 'Champions' VHS I got when I was a boy and some of the players we had then we could only dream of today.

Sauzee...Mixu...Latapy...Crawford...Hartley...Love ll...Hughes...

How are we going to find players of that like now?

dmc1875
26-05-2014, 11:14 PM
1998 we were actually on an upturn after McLeish came in and there was a real feeling we might just pull off the impossible. Had McLeish had another few weeks we would have. The 2 goals against Hearts on New Years Day to grab a draw were, with hindsight, the worst thing to happen to us as it kept Duffy in a job a bit longer.

Even then the start of the next season saw McLeish under pressure. We started slowly. Scraped a win away to Morton, lost at home to Stranraer, drew with Falkirk, beat Ayr, drew with Clydebank and lost to St Mirren in our 1st 6 league games. We got to the 3rd round of the League Cup after beating Hamilton and Aberdeen before getting humped away to St Johnstone 4-0. The fans that night really turned and chants of 'sack the board' rang out most of the 2nd half. Hands on Hibs were also active around this time. It was the signing of the likes of Mixu, Latapy and Sauzee that saw us go on a long unbeaten run and win the league comfortably.

I'm not sure we have the money to throw at the problem this time and it just feels far worse and more long term this time around. This is definitely worse than 98 imo.

The team that we had when we went down in 98 would rip the p*** out of the current lot

Baader
26-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Much worse than in 98. We all knew then we had the right man in place and that McLeish would build us a strong side. As said, if we'd appointed him sooner we'd have stayed up. We also had a better playing budget that allowed us to sign Mixu, Russel and Franck. Excellent pros who lifted the fans and players and became legends of this club.

This time we've dropped out of the worst top flight in history. Two rivals that will no doubt finish ahead of us and the possibility of the man who oversaw our freefall to worst team in the league being charged with rebuilding us? It's a nightmare

Shields Hibee
26-05-2014, 11:46 PM
This one is much worse as we've really gone backwards as a club despite RP heralding a new start after that final 2 years ago. The 98 relegation was different in at McLeish was a man who had shown he could do a job & signed some decent players as the budget allowed. Watching the champions footage on youtube just gets you more depressed as I know those type of scenes won't be seen come next May.

People have got sick of false hope, empty promises and this relegation I suspect for some will be the end.

Saorsa
27-05-2014, 12:21 AM
This is far worse, the way this club as been allowed tae decline over such a sustained period of time is a ****in' disgrace, but there's nae shame from the ****er running it in tae the ground. Anybody with an ounce of decency would have ****ed off efter a monumental series of blunders with colin deadwood but no that arrogant brass necked self-serving ******* petrie.

Hibercelona
27-05-2014, 12:23 AM
98 was a blip. This time it isn't a blip. We got fortunate a couple of seasons ago, but the warning signs were there for all to see.

It's been building up to this point and the worst thing about it is that we know where the real problems lie, yet somehow, they will still remain going into the Championship.

Sorry lads, but we don't have a hope in hell of promotion next season. We're in it for the long haul, as are our problems.

Mixu62
27-05-2014, 12:24 AM
My recollection is that the team that went down had more guts and togetherness about it, they were ready to roll up the sleeves and scrap for every point. The club and fans seemed closer then too, there was more of an "all in this together" atmos.

steakbake
27-05-2014, 12:36 AM
We're down on merit. The fans don't deserve it, but as a club, we're a joke from the boardroom to the pitch. Getting back up is going to be a massive undertaking. Very much doubt we'll be up within the year, possibly more like 3-4 seasons I reckon. I think it'll be like when the Perth saints went down. It took them a long time and a few close shaves to get themselves back into the top division.

I'd take 98 all over again.

southern hibby
27-05-2014, 04:11 AM
This to me is worse, far far worse. We have a manager I'n place that has shown me absolutely nothing to prove he is the man for the job. Make no mistake he took us down (yes with fenlon's players ). However I will ask one question I'n defence of him. Was he properly backed by the board I'n the Jan window, or was it a case of we'll back you I'n the summer?
The only positive I can see at present from Butcher is his career is finished if he cannot get us out of the championship. Which team bigger than Hibs will give him a job if he fails here? Hopefully this alone will motivate him to get us back to the premiership.
Major difference between 98 and now we had a manager who knew what he was doing, we had financial backing for said manager and we never had the two payment dodgers I'n the league. Now we have Petrie and Butcher to solve our championship dilemma.

To me the biggest question is HOW MUCH DOES THE BOARD BACK THE MANGER TO GET OUT OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP?

GGTTH

GreenLake
27-05-2014, 05:13 AM
I think it would be massively worse if I wasn't living so far away this time. The noise from media pundits and yams (or are they the same thing) does not make it over here. I hope there is a clear statement from the new CEO about her goals and her expectations for Hibs management and players going forward.

Onion
27-05-2014, 05:53 AM
No, this is very different. The 6 or 7 years of decline, terrible results, awful managerial appointments, anti-football, the way this has all happened and lack of hope of quick return makes this this much worst.

Last time, Alex McLeish had already proven himself to be a decent manager. His tactics, team choices, substitutions and motivational skills were already evident when we went down. This time, we have Butcher. The stark contract is brutal.

I honestly feel that this season will be the end for many loyal, older Hibs supporters. In many respects the hard core of Hibs fans who have faithfully followed the club through a sense of loyalty - probably hanging on the memories of better times. Fully expect attendances at ER to collapse next season. The only upside is you might see one or two home wins if you're lucky.

What a terrible state of affairs. Those in charge...... just should no longer be in charge.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2014, 10:57 AM
This is much worse, theres a huge disconnect between the club's custodians and the fans. I fear it'll get worse before it gets better, which in itself is a scary thought.

Keith_M
27-05-2014, 11:05 AM
No, it really doesn't feel the same.

I was really disappointed 15 years ago, but we were going down fully expecting to be coming straight back up, as we were by far the largest team in the league. There were even restrictions in place at that time that prevented some clubs being promoted, e.g. Falkirk were our biggest challengers but didn't meet the stadium requirements.

I have no confidence just now in either the board or current manager. We had Alex McCleish in charge then and Hibs spent big to ensure we came back up at first time of asking, something that just isn't going to happen now.

heretoday
27-05-2014, 11:05 AM
This is worse. The phenomenon of internet trolling hadn't got going then. Now the humiliation feels more painful.

Hibs were awful on the pitch then too mind you. Guys like Paul Tosh and Brian Welsh!