PDA

View Full Version : The 40-something Hibs fan

Carheenlea
26-05-2014, 06:45 PM
If like me, you are in your mid 40`s, we can maybe claim to have picked the wrong time to support Hibs... Just missing out on seeing the celebrated Tornado`s and now witnessing more relegation's than Cup wins. I have witnessed all three of our falls from grace and only enjoying two Cup wins in my 35 years or so service. The older generation can at least count on off-setting the relegation's with Cup success in the early 70`s and great teams of the 50`s, 60`s and that early 70`s side, with the younger ones not experiencing quite so many relegation's!

Hibby Bairn
26-05-2014, 07:16 PM
If like me, you are in your mid 40`s, we can maybe claim to have picked the wrong time to support Hibs... Just missing out on seeing the celebrated Tornado`s and now witnessing more relegation's than Cup wins. I have witnessed all three of our falls from grace and only enjoying two Cup wins in my 35 years or so service. The older generation can at least count on off-setting the relegation's with Cup success in the early 70`s and great teams of the 50`s, 60`s and that early 70`s side, with the younger ones not experiencing quite so many relegation's!

:agree: Yip. That's me. Born 1967.

On the upside we already know our way to Raith, Livi, Dumbarton, QOS, Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Falkirk, Hunbrox and Tynie. :aok:

judas
26-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Know what you mean. But relegation = cup wins (2&2).

We also saw Franck, Latapy and 6-2 and three 0-3's vs the Huns.

I think our time will come mate.

Stoney Hibee
26-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I know how you feel, i am 41. My first game was in 1978, so first relegation within 18 months. To make things worse I have lived in aberdeen my whole life so the 80's were a bit of a nightmare! It was OK for my dad, he grew up in the fifties and saw the famous five, league titles etc. he has just subjected me to 35 years of (mostly) rubbish.

My father has a lot to answer for! He dad died on February 15, which until the first leg at Hamilton was the date of the last game we won, I had got it into my head that our s***y form was his last way to p*** me off!

Hibby Bairn
26-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Know what you mean. But relegation = cup wins (2&2).

We also saw Franck, Latapy and 6-2 and three 0-3's vs the Huns.

I think our time will come mate.

Nah...3 relegations. 1980, 1998 and 2014 IIRC

Peevemor
26-05-2014, 07:31 PM

On the upside we already know our way to Raith, Livi, Dumbarton, QOS, Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Falkirk, Hunbrox and Tynie. :aok:

Ditto.

southsider
26-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Lucky / no honered to sign &play for my hereo'sto watch my22 old son in tears i feel my love affair just seems to dimish season after season got ST for next season but god knows why?never enjoyed a g ame for ???

hibbymark
26-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Hibs and Scotland ! I must have been a right bad buggar in previous life. Certainly can't be accused of being a glory hunter!

erskine-hibby
26-05-2014, 07:36 PM

I feel privileged to have seen the Tornadoes...except for my first trip to Hampden for the 6-1 game.

Shields Hibee
26-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm still a few years away from 40 but in my lifetime, can only say its been more frustration & heartaches than glory.

Seen 2 cup wins (91 & 07) and while I was only a wee bairn for the 1980 relegation, I do remember 97/8 & was there yesterday.

jodjam
26-05-2014, 07:43 PM
I was born 67. My first boss used to tell me how hibs dominated hertz in the 70's as I was attending all the dross derbies of their run against us. We've had it tough. Hopefully better days ahead

gorgie_harp
26-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Snap. But I'm out now.:(

JBloggs1875
26-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Been taking my dad who is 77 this season, got him a half season this year and decided to get him a full OAP this coming season. I feel bad what have I done to him. Suffice to say he canny believe what he's seen on the park compared to when he was a laddie.

Aldo
26-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Yip I'm 44 and had quite a few disappointing moments following the team I love.

Been to a fair few finals yet only witnessed 2 wins. 3 relegations and promotions.

We will recover I am certain of this!!

Dumfrieshibs
26-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Another '67 born Hibby..... We must be due a break ;-)

EskbankHibby
26-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Yup, born in 1972.

Mostly pish apart from a few moments in the sun.

Must have sat through about 21 of their 22 in a row but recently has been particularly trying.

Thinking of Livi, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, cheats final, Malmo and then Hamilton.

Bad enough for me but I spare a wee thought for my uncle and cousin (Bathhibby and Bristolhibby) who try and get to as many games as they can, Bristolhibby did a same day commute for the 2nd leg.

Poor return and very trying. Can't change it now though, wouldn't want to either but it can be very very pish.

BSEJVT
26-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Another '67 born Hibby..... We must be due a break ;-)

Don't believe it!

I am 51 and was lucky enough to see the Tornadoes which makes the pish I have had to watch over the last 40 years with 2 or 3 exceptions all the harder.

Lord only knows what the remaining guys who saw the Famous Five make of this?

The only certainty with Hibs is that they will boot you in the balls regularly and hard over the forthcoming years.

The great irony is that the better they are supported the worst they perform with very few exceptions.

I have no doubt that to be a top class footballer, ability is not enough.

The never ending stream of serial underachievers we have suffered at Easter Road is proof positive that having the right mentality is every bit as important.

Stax
26-05-2014, 08:05 PM
I walked back to the car with my old man and my kids yesterday and said similar to my Dad. Then we looked at my son who's 11 and been going since he's 4 and we both realised poor wee so and so.. Best game in his eyes was the semi against Falkirk. My 9 yr old girl (her 2nd ever game) just enjoyed the day out with her Grandad and dad and 'loves going to the football' Tbh her enthusiasm and lack of a clue to what had just happened kept us all sane.

gillythehibby
26-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Well I was born '68 and the old man had me at Easter Road when I was about 2, so I must have seen them. Canny mind much mind but the old man says they were supeb. I live 100 yards fae Cropley so does that count? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2014, 08:09 PM
I was born in 67 but fortunate enough not to have to watch Hibs till 92, have still witnessed my fair share of ups and downs though!

Itsnoteasy
26-05-2014, 08:17 PM
I must have one of the biggest hard luck stories. Born 71 in Gorgie, dalry primary, Tynie secondary, winless streak against them. Just going to stop there the noose is getting tighter. HELP!

#2 Double Tap
26-05-2014, 08:17 PM
McGinlays bursting runs, hunters header, mickey weir, KEITH KEITH KEITH KEITH KEITH and deeks volleys and 35 yarders, and latapys silky silky skills and sauzee just oozing class, and mixus hat trick, and boozys pinging passes all over the place, and fletchers wonder strikes, and griffiths!!!!

gringojoe
26-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Born 65 and watched some great players, lots of average players and to many players that shouldn't ever have been allowed to pull on a Hibs
jersey.

FranckSuzy
26-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I must have one of the biggest hard luck stories. Born 71 in Gorgie, dalry primary, Tynie secondary, winless streak against them. Just going to stop there the noose is getting tighter. HELP!

Christ, that's tough :greengrin Thought it was bad being one of about 4 Hibbies in my year at Firrhill during the 80's :rolleyes:

heretoday
26-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Well I saw my first Hibs game in 1963-64 season but they weren't exactly very promising at the time, being either bottom or second bottom.

I don't know why I plumped for them as opposed to Hearts, whom I also watched a lot.

It must have been the white sleeves or maybe the ER tannoy which played current hits (from Bandparts) while Tynecastle had a boring old silver band marching round.

Of course now I'd prefer the band!