PDA

View Full Version : Petrie will get in his lifeboat before the end.

Pages : 1 [2]

Iain G
28-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Petrie is not the cold hearted monster many on here portray him as. In my opinion his biggest mistake was the new east stand. Might sound daft but we have been getting worse and worse since that thing was built. We should have spent money then on players rather than the new stand. .

IIRC and I wasn't in Edinburgh at the time so it's based on press releases and the internet, but the planning permission we had for the stand was running out and there was a fair amount of concern that there would have been objections from the new neighbouring apartments to the construction of a new stand if we had let the planning application / approval lapse. It was a case of build it now or perhaps never get round to building it if there were enough objections when we went in again for planning.

It was a bit damned if they do and damned if they don't at the time and I think the decision to build it there and then, when steel prices were low and the construction market was pretty stagnant for contractors, was probably a reasonable one.

WhileTheChief..
28-05-2014, 11:19 AM
I've never been too bothered by Petrie in the past and some of the stick he takes on here is pretty harsh.

However, sticking by Butcher is as bad a mistake as not letting CC go.

The blame for relegation is all Butcher's but RP will be just as culpable if he doesn't change his mind and get rid of TB pronto.

Farmer is more to blame for the general state of the club than Petrie.

Caversham Green
28-05-2014, 11:34 AM
One thing I take from the para in bold, CG, is that what we have in prospect is LD operating as CEO under the same conditions as Scott and Fyfe did - Petrie looking over her shoulder and exerting all the unseen influence in the world.

Yet one more indication that we're royally screwed.

That's the general impression we have of that period, but is it actually what happened? Is it possible that Rod really did take a back seat until it became clear that the boys were making a horlicks of the whole thing? That period strikes me as the point where we shifted from being 'not as good as we should be' to being 'a mess' and there was certainly a degree of shuffling them about to try to get it working. Then Rod started working for money again, but is it possible he really just wanted and wants a quiet life in respect of the football club? Certainly, if you put me in the position he's allegedly in - unpaid but wanting to stay on board purely for the SFA jacket - I'd be getting a competent CEO in and doing as little actual work on the club as I could get away with. Maybe Rod's absolutely desperate to get rid of the thankless task that is running Hibernian FC but feels (wrongly IMO) that he has to keep a handle on things until the changeover and 'far-reaching changes' have been completed.

I always feel I have to put these riders on my comments these days, but I'm just offering a feasible alternative scenario, not suggesting that that's how it was. I also come back again to the point that if it really is all Rod's doing then the rest of the board are not doing the job they were appointed to do.

Cropley10
28-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Nice to hear from you, Rodders.

Like to explain why not a single manager since Mowbray's lasted more than 18 months in the job?

Or why the 'youth academy' East Mains was built to accommodate hasn't produced the players it was promised to do?

Or why we have the biggest turnover in playing staff in the whole Scottish League - each intake worse than the last?

All on your watch?

Remember what Harry Truman said about the Oval Office - "The buck stops here". Same goes for the chairman's desk at ER.

Time to be a man and fall on your sword.

Is the part in bold above correct??

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I've never been too bothered by Petrie in the past and some of the stick he takes on here is pretty harsh.

The blame for relegation is all Butcher's but RP will be just as culpable if he doesn't change his mind and get rid of TB pronto.

The same tactics we employed to stop mercer should be our game plan for ousting Petrie and Farmer.

Caversham Green
28-05-2014, 11:40 AM

I would say that the fact of relegation - the pitiful record for most of this calendar year and the disgraceful capitulation to Hamilton at Easter Road - is 100% Butcher's fault, but the fact that the club had sunk so low as to be in that position in the first place is down to the board of directors.

Beefster
28-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Not bizarre in general terms, she wasn't a director at Motherwell, but it would be a departure from our club's normal policy.

FWIW I think she will be appointed a director.

I'm fairly sure Dempster was/is on the Board at Motherwell.

Like you, I think she'll be appointed to our Board too.

Edit: this article says she is joining the Hibs Board.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/04/hibs-appoint-leeann-dempster-as-new-chief-executive/

jeffers
28-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I want Butcher gone first before he does any more damage then all efforts on ousting RP.

Caversham Green
28-05-2014, 11:52 AM

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/04/hibs-appoint-leeann-dempster-as-new-chief-executive/

My apologies, she was and still is a director of Motherwell according to Cos Hos. It's possible that the change documents have been submitted but not yet posted on the CH website - even in the electronic age they can still take several days to appear.

CropleyWasGod
28-05-2014, 12:02 PM

The opening sentence says so, but the statement from Hibs doesn't. :greengrin

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 12:28 PM
The opening sentence says so, but the statement from Hibs doesn't. :greengrinIt actually says she "has joined" the Board.

Clearly kack (was written in April). Presumably the journalist just didn't actually know much about corporate procedures.

WhileTheChief..
28-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I want Butcher gone first before he does any more damage then all efforts on ousting RP.

I'm with you on this.

My hope is that LD will come in and overrule RP and bin Butcher.

This has to happen quickly. All the other stuff can happen over the next few months but he should be gone by the time he's back from holiday.

Nailrod
28-05-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm with you on this.

My hope is that LD will come in and overrule RP and bin Butcher.

This has to happen quickly. All the other stuff can happen over the next few months but he should be gone by the time he's back from holiday.Sorry WTC but this just can't happen.

If she's not on the Board there isn't any mechanism by which she can 'overrule RP', and even if she is on the Board there isn't any way that an incoming CEO can overrule a Chairman who has been there 20 years, who is a shareholder, and who is the nominated representative of the only other shareholder.

Whatever means there might be of getting rid of TB, this isn't one of them.

GreenPJ
28-05-2014, 02:46 PM
That would be completely unacceptable. You can't have a 'new broom' coming in and starting her tenure by leaking stuff to the press to resolve conflicts with the existing Board.

And if its a new broom, she is as effective as her CV suggests she won't have to.