PDA

View Full Version : Players problem with management

jimmyboco1875
26-05-2014, 05:34 PM
What you's think the problem is? Poor man management? Butcher bigman attitude? Or simple poor tactical coaching?

marinello59
26-05-2014, 05:36 PM
You missed out the attitude of the players. Even with no manager in place they should have got the points required for safety after the split.

SlickShoes
26-05-2014, 05:38 PM
You missed out the attitude of the players. Even with no manager in place they should have got the points required for safety after the split.

Yep, they are professionals and should be able to see out a 2-0 lead to a team like Hamilton who were no great shakes just gifted chance after chance by bad play and terrible decision making on the park.

Spike Mandela
26-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Have you ever heard a released player say a good word about a manager who has released him?

borstalboy
26-05-2014, 05:40 PM

:top marks

I'd imagine majority of us have played football with folk we didn't like or get on with, thats life, but I bet we all gave 100% and wanted to win no matter the level. I think mental toughness is/was lacking in this team and thus why people didn't get on with Butcher/Malpas. Players should've done their talking on the park, I for one, if told I wasn't good enough would dam make sure I'd prove I was.

hibIBZ
26-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I think butchers attitude and ego caused him to lose control if most in the dressing room. It's his the fault the players lost their drive. Everything has to be about TB. His interviews are all about him, trying to play his silly mind games. He has cost us, the players were poor but he ruined any confidence they had

jimmyboco1875
26-05-2014, 05:55 PM
But if he gets his own players then things could turn good?

matty_f
26-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I think the players, having seen off Fenlon, thought that when they realised they weren't liking what Butcher was asking them to do they could just down tools and dick about only to realise too late that Butcher wasn't going anywhere and they were heading towards the iceberg.

We needed 4 points from Feb to be safe. 4 points. Against the worst teams in the league. That the players couldn't muster that meagre total says as much about them as it does Butcher. They're a disgrace to the badge.

Phil D. Rolls
26-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Who knows, but a group of half decent players were playing 19th century football by the end of the season.

SlickShoes
26-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Who knows, but a group of half decent players were playing 19th century football by the end of the season.

Ok mr Fenlon

RedHibby
26-05-2014, 06:58 PM
I think the players, having seen off Fenlon, thought that when they realised they weren't liking what Butcher was asking them to do they could just down tools and dick about only to realise too late that Butcher wasn't going anywhere and they were heading towards the iceberg.

We needed 4 points from Feb to be safe. 4 points. Against the worst teams in the league. That the players couldn't muster that meagre total says as much about them as it does Butcher. They're a disgrace to the badge.

:top marksNice to see someone actually talking sense.

kaisersmith
26-05-2014, 07:06 PM
There's seems to have been a culture of player problems with management for a while now. Discipline is sadly lacking at Easter Road. How many stories about incidents in night clubs? All players should be banned from George street!

yekimevol
26-05-2014, 07:15 PM
I would guess telling players that there not in your plans and then relying on them to stop your team going into a slide. Sacking coaches that are extremely popular and replacing the with ones that are missing half the time on scouting trips. Then playing a style of football that is not suiting the squad.

sahib
26-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Exactly! well some of them were half decent. Butcher is clueless.

mjhibby
26-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately sounds like players yet again not playing for the manager and the dark cloud of the Collins revolt hangs over er yet again. Only at hibs could we play for so bad for so long. As some said after the game ,it looked like a few players were going through the motions and for Kevin Thomson to say we couldn't match Hamilton is one of the most illuminating things I've heard and shows that the team weren't playing for the manager. Will be interesting to see who gets a transfer to avoid dropping down a league. Sad,sad times yet again at er. As usual it's the fans who suffers.

matty_f
26-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I would guess telling players that there not in your plans and then relying on them to stop your team going into a slide. Sacking coaches that are extremely popular and replacing the with ones that are missing half the time on scouting trips. Then playing a style of football that is not suiting the squad.

Butcher told them they were playing for their futures first though, and the daft ****s never worked out that they needed to up their game. They never even had the common sense to put a performance in to help them get a new club.

J-C
26-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Tried to play a system which only works if you have the right personnel, then his biggest blunder was telling 4 players to go in January (only 2 left) and also telling at least another 5-6 that they'd be offski come May. Very poor man management and an antiquated way of running a modern club, basically just an old dinosaur and one I didn't wany near the club.
Funnily Mickey Stewart said on radio that Butcher would either be a huge hit or a spectacular flop, the guys in the football world know the score.

matty_f
26-05-2014, 08:44 PM

They were managing to play 19th century football at the start of the season as well. Sideways pass, sideways pass, backwards pass, hooof. Repeat.

I actually don't think either Fenlon or Butcher asked the players to play like that, I think what happened is a limited bunch of players were sh** scared to make mistakes so they just cleared their lines (sometimes very badly) rather than taking a risk and trying to play football.

There's not a manager in the game that would consistently and repeatedly tell their players to just launch the ball high in the air aimlessly. I've seen it posted here that Butcher told them to play the ball into the corners to turn the defence, I can't think of a time where I've even seen them play the ball into a corner effectively with any regularity.

The players weren't playing to the manager's tactics/instructions under Fenlon or Butcher, IMHO.

leithsansiro
26-05-2014, 09:32 PM
There's not a manager in the game that would consistently and repeatedly tell their players to just launch the ball high in the air aimlessly. I've seen it posted here that Butcher told them to play the ball into the corners to turn the defence, I can't think of a time where I've even seen them play the ball into a corner effectively with any regularity.

Really? Watch Hibs kick off at the start of the game. Pass inside the centre circle and then launch a long diagonal ball to the wing. It's the same tactic every time, and it doesn't work. Bizarrely, it's pretty much the same game plan that Graeme Taylor used to have when in charge of England. It was outdated then, and he was slaughtered for it. It's definitely outdated now. If my local junior team did that, they'd be hammered.

IberianHibernian
26-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Not long before Fenlon left we drew with Celtic with a fine battling performance . Not for the first time , Fenlon`s team had shown spirit and charácter and most people could see that though squad was limited we had at last got a squad that battled . For all the "wage thieves" type stuff being thrown around I think squad has got charácter - Nelson for example is a limited player but I wouldn`t question his attitude . But somehow Butcher couldn`t use that charácter , in fact he weakened it . Hamilton don`t have better players than us - if we`d stayed up on Sunday I doubt we`d have been interested in any Hamilton players but their manager had them playing for him in an organised and motivated way from start to finish ( Butcher hardly spoke to his players before extra time or penalties and even in Hamilton there was hardly a look between Butcher and players as they went off after victory ) . Solution seems to be to get rid of players who didn`t get on with him ie almost all but how many players will want a manager like that or play for a club that has bullied players out like with Vine and Clancy ?