PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

PatHead
26-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Whilst I am not sad to see any of the impostors/ wage thieves go I would like to say that Maybury always gave his best and appeared to be a model professional. Unfortunately age has caught up with him but I would like to wish him all the best for the future.

Good luck also to the youngsters released.

Nevi_SOL
26-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Gutted to see maybury go I was a doubter but he certainly prove me wrong. Good luck to him in the future an honest pro. But if we want to go to another level it had to happen

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Good luck Alan, thank you.

S4uzee
26-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Our best player towards the end of the season

cleanyman
26-05-2014, 01:02 PM
As I said on another thread he gave us his all.

Hope he has a successful coaching career.

col02
26-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Steady and reliable as a player for Hibs. Wish him well in his career as a coach.

Stevie Reid
26-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Was a good signing, and cared about playing for us. Sadly this doesn't seem to be quality that Butcher appreciates in players. Was hoping he may keep coaching.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2014, 01:05 PM
One of the few who can leave with his head up.

Maybe not the best player but one who always gave his all.

Hedlund12
26-05-2014, 01:06 PM
All the very best Alan Maybury, IMO you have be a true professional at HFC.
I wish you every success in your next job and thank you for your time at Hibs. :not worth

Leith Mo
26-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Was a doubter given his earlier playing background but then in his first (?) game for us played a blinder against THEM apart from one error which cost us a goal and he got pelters for.

Good Luck Alan and thanks for all your efforts and help with the squad's younger players

Curly1875
26-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Thought he'd be staying on as a coach, obviously not.

MacGruber
26-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Our best player towards the end of the season

This sums it up though really. I'm not disagreeing either, he has been our best defender in recent times and uses his experience well in playing the position defensively. However, Maybury on 1 side and McGivern/Stevenson on the other - nobody is going forward, getting to the bye line. There's no forward going threat from Maybury. All adds up to the lack of chances creativity around the team last year, and made worse that there was scant little width further forward either. We need 2 new full backs with an attacking side to their game and great engines to get up and down the park. For me, Booth is this kind of player.

Take the 2 goals that done us the damage at the end - Barbour the young Killie right back gets to the bye-line to whip it in for Boyd to score and consign us to the play-off. He got to the bye-line plenty that game. Hamilton's equaliser, young Ziggy Gordon getting to the bye-line in the last minute to whip it in. He got forward much of the match. McGivern and Maybury's ball's in tend to always be from 35/40 yards out.

Young, dynamic backies required.

Billy Whizz
26-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Thought he'd be staying on as a coach, obviously not.

Not even being kept on as a coach?

truehibernian
26-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Wish him every success in coaching, a really top pro on and off the pitch and conducted himself very well.

Always welcome at Easter Road no matter what colours :aok::top marks

blindsummit
26-05-2014, 01:21 PM
I suspect if we stayed up he would have been staying on as a coach, but it's all about cost cutting now and that's why he's been let go. There will be more of this cost cutting in the backroom and in non-playing staff coming I suspect.

adhibs
26-05-2014, 01:22 PM
If his coaching career takes off would happily welcome him back at some point

PeterboroHibee
26-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I think he could have stayed for another year as a back up player whilst continuing coaching. Quite disappointing. All the best to him and I hope it works out for him, a good professional and he proved to be a good addition to the squad.

seanoheimhin
26-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Thought he would be kept on as a coach. Bit classless to just tell him 'Yer off pal'

Bunter
26-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Top bloke on and off the pitch. Well respected by the guys for his coaching methods too.
All the best wherever you go Teddy.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Maybe its just me, but he's another poor player who along with the rest of the poor players is part of the reason we are where we are?

He offered us nothing going forward, and just played the easy ball back to our 2 hoofball experts in the middle. He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.

I'd add Stevenson to this another squad filler who's had to play every week. Folk might not like the truth, but its out there staring you in the face.

Allant1981
26-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Gutted for the guy, he actually looked like he was bothered during the game yesterday, plus his mrs is hot so wont be seeing her at ER

Zondervan
26-05-2014, 02:13 PM
If his coaching career takes off would happily welcome him back at some point

I think it already had taken off, with his work supporting the U20s.

As far as I know, Fenlon wanted him (over time) to take over the running of the Academy set-up at EM.

Now we are back to square-one with 3 dinosaurs shaping the future of our club.

FranckSuzy
26-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your efforts Alan. Hope you find another club that appreciates you.

HibbyAndy
26-05-2014, 02:20 PM
He absolute gave his all yesterday and never once hid or shirked a challenge unlike the rest.

PatHead
26-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Maybe its just me, but he's another poor player who along with the rest of the poor players is part of the reason we are where we are?

He offered us nothing going forward, and just played the easy ball back to our 2 hoofball experts in the middle. He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.

I'd add Stevenson to this another squad filler who's had to play every week. Folk might not like the truth, but its out there staring you in the face.

Not his fault that he was selected every week. He may not have been the best full back in the Premier League but he did his best, was a professional and always gave 100%. You can never criticise him for that.

Agree we should have a better options though and agree he has peaked and should move on.

Hedlund12
26-05-2014, 02:34 PM

He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.

I don't agree with your statement about Maybury being a "poor" player.
As you rightly point out he had a role to play as a back up player and IMO he filled that role very well week in week out.
But Everyone is entitled to their opinion....
Talking about filling a role too....., I hope that if you ever need help in a medical capacity and a first aider is on hand they don't say "pee off - I'm not seeing to him leave him until the paramedics arrive!" :wink:

SunshineOnLeith
26-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I was under the impression the young players love him so pretty surprised if he's not being offered a coaching role. Maybe he wants to keep playing?

SunshineOnLeith
26-05-2014, 02:55 PM
He absolute gave his all yesterday and never once hid or shirked a challenge unlike the rest.

Commented during the game that he dealt with Scotland's physical stuff much better than either centre half, refused to be bullied.

wookie70
26-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Goes with my best wishes. One of the few professionals at ER. Knew when to put the foot in and played to his strengths. Our best defender in the run in and never let us down. I would have kept him on as a coach as he has more between his ears than the vast majority at our club

IanFaeClerrie
26-05-2014, 04:59 PM
However, Maybury on 1 side and McGivern/Stevenson on the other - nobody is going forward, getting to the bye line. There's no forward going threat from Maybury. Young, dynamic backies required.

Eh, No - different tactics required. That was Butcher's choice - time and again you saw him waving people back. Maybury's been excellent for us - hardly put a foot wrong and his passing was to a high standard.

Onion
26-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Yip. Just add him to the growing list of failures at Hibs. It is things like the tolerance of "effort" that has lead to the humiliating collapse of our club. We all need to review our standards of what a good Hibs player looks like as many on here have simply forgotten.

IanFaeClerrie
26-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I think he could have stayed for another year as a back up player whilst continuing coaching. Quite disappointing. All the best to him and I hope it works out for him, a good professional and he proved to be a good addition to the squad.

Did anybody else think Maybury looked our fittest player during extra time?

Gerard
26-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Eh, No - different tactics required. That was Butcher's choice - time and again you saw him waving people back. Maybury's been excellent for us - hardly put a foot wrong and his passing was to a high standard.

Good luck to you.

iwasthere1972
26-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Whilst I am not sad to see any of the impostors/ wage thieves go I would like to say that Maybury always gave his best and appeared to be a model professional. Unfortunately age has caught up with him but I would like to wish him all the best for the future.

Good luck also to the youngsters released.

Totally agree. He looked like he cared and despite his age was more mobile than the majority of the losers who played for us this season.

In years to come I seriously hope that I forget who they were.

iwasthere1972
26-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Even helped one of the Accies players when he went down with cramp. Personally I would have left him but I think Maybury wanted to get on with the game.

IanFaeClerrie
It is things like the tolerance of "effort" that has lead to the humiliating collapse of our club. Eh No, it's not that.

MWHIBBIES

I'd add Stevenson to this another squad filler who's had to play every week. Folk might not like the truth, but its out there staring you in the face.Only you saying it but its the truth :faf:

Good luck Alan, thanks for your efforts.

Allant1981
26-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Very rarely did he play it back to the CH's, he was always trying to get it forward, we had a crappy team this year but alan maybury is one of a couple who were actually quite good, stevenson being another

snooky
26-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Very rarely did he play it back to the CH's, he was always trying to get it forward, we had a crappy team this year but alan maybury is one of a couple who were actually quite good, stevenson being another

I agree 100%

EdinMike
26-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Cheers Alan, more passion in your bones than some of these wasters..

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Best of luck to him, always gave 100% and was our best player many times, can leave with his head held high, only folk who weren't at the games he played in can disagree surely.

superfurryhibby
26-05-2014, 06:24 PM
No questioning his committment. Thanks for that Maybbers. If only his team mates could have matchef his determination .......

Smartie
26-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Very few will emerge from this sorry period with any credit but I'd like to echo the good wishes on this thread.

He's probably been our most consistent and best defender over the past few months, attitude has been spot on. Was far from a fans' favourite to begin with but I'm delighted to see on this thread that he's getting the recognition that he deserves and that through hard work he won us over.

I always thought that against top level opposition he would be found wanting (I think he toiled during the Cup Final last year for example) but thought he would be well worth another year, especially since we're going to be in the first division.

Hopefully the young lads in the squad will have looked to him and learned rather than some of the other senior figures at Hibs.

Best of luck Alan.

DH1875
26-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Would have given him another year. Pretty sure he'd cope well in the championship. Can only wish him well.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Best of luck to him, always gave 100% and was our best player many times, can leave with his head held high, only folk who weren't at the games he played in can disagree surely.That sounds about right considering Blackpool is disagreeing :greengrin

IberianHibernian
26-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Was hoping he`d be given manager`s job with McDonough while we selected new manager . Looked like one of the freshest players in either team even in extra time . Noone deserves to be player of the year this season but if there has to be one he`d be one of very few candidates .

sahib
26-05-2014, 10:21 PM
That sounds about right considering Blackpool is disagreeing :greengrin

He has been a good honest pro and I would not fault him for effort, but a poor signing because we needed better. The Maybury of ten years ago would have been great, but not the later model.

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2014, 10:23 PM
He has been a good honest pro and I would not fault him for effort, but a poor signing because we needed better. The Maybury of ten years ago would have been great, but not the later model.Why do people find it difficult to understand Maybury was signed as a second choice full back, Clancy and McGivern were ahead of him and those were the real poor signings, as an experience back-up who could play both sides we couldn't have got much better.

cabbageandribs1875
27-05-2014, 06:40 PM

He did indeed so credit where it's due :agree: although he had a knack of over hitting his crosses he was nonetheless a good solid pro, and as mentioned above he stopped to help the accies player that was down with cramp, wish him well with whatever he chooses to do next

jimmyboco1875
27-05-2014, 06:47 PM
I thought he was our best player in saturday

snooky
27-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Maybury .....

Good luck for the future Alan, and thanks.
Hibs class on & off the park.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-05-2014, 09:17 PM
True professional. One of the very few who should be able to look himself in the mirror and not feel like a helmet.

andy1875
27-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I actually really liked the guy for his efforts and was our best defender for the last few months of the season.

A good honest pro who knew his job and did it well.

One of my favourite Hibs moments in recent seasons was at Killie away in the Scottish. "Na na na na na na na na na na Alan Maybury, Maybury, Alan Maybuuuuuuuury" Teddy Maybs Hibs Appreciation Bus back to Edinburgh with a few beers too many that day :greengrin

If only we had a few more like him.

All the best anyway Teddy and good luck.

CraigHibee
27-05-2014, 09:40 PM
was disappointed to hear maybury was being released, he is model professional and i wish him all the best

Peevemor
27-05-2014, 09:58 PM
I suspect he may have been kept on had we not been relegated, but I suppose the money won't be there for a part coach/part emergency back-up role. Good luck to him anyway.

Blaster
27-05-2014, 10:12 PM
True professional. One of the very few who should be able to look himself in the mirror and not feel like a helmet.

Exactly. One player who can say he done the job he was meant to do pretty well. Its the players who think they are better quality who let us down. The defence get it tight overall but it must be rubbish when you know if you concede only one goal you will still get beat

aunty joyce
27-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Exactly. One player who can say he done the job he was meant to do pretty well. Its the players who think they are better quality who let us down. The defence get it tight overall but it must be rubbish when you know if you concede only one goal you will still get beat

Yup, have to agree with this one - when you look at the table after the 38 games we conceded the least goals out the bottom six we just didn't score enough at the other end unfortunately. GGTTH

matty_f
28-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Would definitely echo the good luck sentiments, Alan gave his all and had planned to retire before this season, that he signed on again as back up and ended up playing out the end of the season (and looking fitter than some of the other imposters) says much about his character.

Thanks for your efforts Ted.

J-C
28-05-2014, 12:33 AM
I know Alan pretty well and he'll be gutted he's leaving particularly the coaching which he loved doing, he was hurting when a good few gave him grief about his times at Hearts but he understood. He is a very clean living family man which helped his career last as long as it did, good luck and hope you have a successful coaching career elsewhere.

Forza Fred
28-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Gutted to see maybury go I was a doubter but he certainly prove me wrong. Good luck to him in the future an honest pro. But if we want to go to another level it had to happen

We have went to another level unfortunately in the wrong direction

Which should cause us to reflect if not Mr. Butcher whether the experience of the likes of Kevin Thomson and Alan Maybury would have been very handy in our now lower division

I think a lot do championship sides would be very happy to acquire these two during the close season

heretoday
28-05-2014, 12:59 AM
I honestly don't think Maybury was as bad as the rest. He gave his best for Hearts and Hibs and that is it.

Goodnight Alan.

macd123
28-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Was hoping he`d be given manager`s job with McDonough while we selected new manager . Looked like one of the freshest players in either team even in extra time . Noone deserves to be player of the year this season but if there has to be one he`d be one of very few candidates .

Yup, i was hoping maybury and mcdonaugh would be in charge for the play offs. But we thought we would just try the hoofball one more time and see what happens.

GreenLake
28-05-2014, 05:35 AM
I thought he was awful at first but eventually placed him as one of our best players although he probably won't take that as much of a compliment considering the team he played in.

confused
28-05-2014, 06:14 AM
A.M. had what was sadly lacking elsewhere , he had self respect , professionalism, honesty, he came did the job every week to the best of his ability, I think he would have been a good guy to have around next season, I a coaching/ back up player role , Thank you or your efforts.

Billy Whizz
28-05-2014, 08:26 AM
He was only signed as back up this season, his main task was as an under 20 coach. Has he lost his position as coach as well?

SON OF PADDY
28-05-2014, 08:41 AM
All the very best Alan Maybury, IMO you have be a true professional at HFC.
I wish you every success in your next job and thank you for your time at Hibs. :not worth

This ! Cheers Alan.

JimBHibees
28-05-2014, 10:11 AM
One of the few who can leave with his head up.

Maybe not the best player but one who always gave his all.

Spot on a good experienced professional who was IMO a great role model to the younger players a trait that there isnt too much of at ER.