PDA

View Full Version : Penalty takers

The Sea-gull
25-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I have heard a few folk say that the penalty shoot out didn't relegate us and i can see what they mean - the fact that we found ourselves in the lottery of pens after do many "last chances" to stay up (just one win in the last three months if season, Ross county, Killie, play off matches, extra time) backs that up. BUT yet more bad decisions were made by the management for the shoot out. Thomson has barely scored a goal in his professional career and had missing it written all over him before he even stepped up. Cummings is a striker and probably has scored loads of pens but he should have maybe been up 2nd or 3rd. I knows managers sometimes leave it up to the players and whoever says they are most confident but sometimes they need to make the big decisions. Thomson was trying to be the big man but a bigger man knows when to acknowledge his weaknesses. Robertson and Stanton should have been up before him.

andy1875
25-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Hindsight a wonderful thing mate.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Thommo wanted the first one.

He is for me, the club captain, and by stepping up first, showed balls.

Just my opinion of course, he's got to be captain next season.

25-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Should never have gotten to that stage in the first place. We went into the HOME leg with a 2 goal advantage and that utterly pathetic bunch of gutless nobodies ****ed it up. Penalties require bottle and a wee it of luck of which we have neither.

25-05-2014, 07:59 PM

Its a no brainer that Thompson (if he hopefully is still here) be handed the captaincy next season. Got far more passion, fight and courage in him than Liam Craig. Before ET I could see Thompson rallying the players up tryna lift everyone, never saw that from our captain.

The Sea-gull
25-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Have never doubted his guts but would doubt his penalty prowess all day long and feel Stanton and Robertson would have been better from 12 yards. Maybe not if they were nervous wrecks though right enough.

confused
25-05-2014, 08:05 PM
To me giving the laddie the vital one ?

Devilstorment
25-05-2014, 08:11 PM
There is some Irony in the fact that two (of possibly only 3) players that Hibs fans would like to see back next season took and missed their penalty. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

To think the Williams saved a rake of penalties last season.